Subject: NIH Guide of August 18, 1989
From: Ken Yow <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 89 15:23 EST

Hi folks,
  This one is confusing me a little, simply because it is dated
August 18, 1989, but just came in this afternoon.  Be that as it may...
     
Paul, plez post as NIHGUIDE.081889 (do we already have that as a file?)
     
Dottie, plez print and log.  Then forward it to:
  MOSIER@UNCG
  MANOCKJ@UNCWIL
  ACC00JMT@UNCCVM
  UBSIMS@ECSVAX
Then send out an Announcement to the list, for file NIHGUIDE.081889.
  Thanks, Ken
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Received: (from LISTSERV@PSUVM for UNCKEN@UNC via NJE)
         (RSCS3091-3091;    1969 LINES); Thu, 07 Sep 89 14:56:17 EST
Date:    Thu, 07 Sep 89 14:56 EST
To:      UNCKEN
From:    LISTSERV@PSUVM

     
     
Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989

                                   NOTICES

DRG'S GRANTS INQUIRIES ON-LINE SYSTEM .....................(84/150).......... 1
Division of Research Grants
Index:  DIVISION OF RESEARCH GRANTS

PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER BIOMEDICAL WORKSHOP ON
SUPERCOMPUTING TECHNIQUES .................................(161/192)......... 2
Division of Research Resources
Index:  RESEARCH RESOURCES

REVISIONS IN THE SALARY SCHEDULE FOR ADAMHA RESEARCH CAREER AWARDS .......... 2
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration       (195/245)
Index:  ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, MENTAL HEALTH

CLARIFICATION OF THE ANIMAL FACILITIES IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM ..(248/288)....... 3
Division of Research Resources
Index:  RESEARCH RESOURCES

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

TECHNICAL, ANALYTICAL, AND DOCUMENTATION SUPPORT SERVICES FOR THE
NATIONAL HEART, BLOOD VESSEL, LUNG, AND BLOOD DISEASES AND BLOOD
RESOURCES PROGRAM (RFP) .....................................(294/347)....... 3
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD

INTERVENTION RESEARCH IN HISPANIC POPULATIONS (RFA) ..(350/425, 1204/1968)... 4
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

RESEARCH ON URINARY INCONTINENCE AND OTHER URINARY DYSFUNCTION IN
OLDER PERSONS ...............................................(431/599)....... 5
National Institute on Aging
Index:  AGING

SMALL GRANTS TO FACILITATE USE OF NEW TECHNIQUES BY RESEARCHERS IN
DIABETES, ENDOCRINOLOGY AND METABOLISM ......................(602/796)....... 7
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES

SOCIAL SUPPORT AND CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE ...................(801/943).......10
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD

BEHAVIORAL, ETIOLOGIC AND PHYSIOLOGIC ASPECTS OF STUTTERING ..(946/1058).....11
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Index:  DEAFNESS, COMMUNICATION DISORDERS

                                    ERRATA

"OTHER SUPPORT" IN PHS GRANT APPLICATIONS
PHS GRANT APPLICATION FORM 398 - REMINDERS
PHS 398 MISCONDUCT IN SCIENCE ASSURANCE
INCLUSION OF MINORITIES IN STUDY POPULATIONS
INCLUSION OF WOMEN IN STUDY POPULATIONS ....................(1064/1146)......13
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
Index:  ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, MENTAL HEALTH
                                   NOTICES

DRG'S GRANTS INQUIRIES ON-LINE SYSTEM
     
P.T. 16; K.W. 1004008, 1014006
     
Division of Research Grants
     
NIH's Division of Research Grants (DRG) now has an on-line system--Grants
Inquiries On-line--that provides for accessing electronically those NIH and
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration extramural program
guidelines that are available in printed form from DRG's Office of Grants
Inquiries (OGI).  The system file is now available to the scientific community
through the BITNET node.  As of August 1, 1989, the following data sets are
available on the file:
     
Index for grants Inquiries.Online [PDS]
     
Combined Files, Revised August 1, 1989 [COMBFILE]
     
The Clinical Investigator Awards (K08)-Guidelines and Supplemental
Instructions, April 1988 [CIA]
     
Guidelines for Establishing and Operating Consortium Grants, January 1989,
[CONSORT]
     
National Research Service Awards for Individual Fellows (F32) Guidelines,
Revised May 1, 1989 [F32]
     
National Research Service Awards for Senior Fellows (F33) Guidelines, Revised
April 15, 1989 [F33]
     
National Research Service Awards for Institutional Grants (T32)-Guidelines and
Instructions, Revised April 1, 1989 [T32]
     
The Physician Scientist Awards, Individual (K11) and Program (K12)-Guidelines
and Supplemental Instructions to PHS 398, Revised April 15, 1988 [PSA]
     
The Research Career Development Award (K04)-Guidelines and Instructions,
Revised April 1989 [K04]
     
Support of Scientific Meetings-Meetings(R13)-Special Information and
Instructions, Revised August 1988 [R13]
     
Small Grants Program (R03)-Guidelines and Participating NIH Institutes,
Revised August 1988 [R03]
     
BITNET Electronic Transfer
     
To participate in the BITNET electronic transfer system, individuals are asked
to provide the name, title, telephone number, and BITNET address to the
Project Director below.  Initially, requestors will be sent the OGI ONLINE
combined file.  OGI ONLINE will be updated regularly at least once a month.
Those with BITNET addresses will automatically be sent an updated version at
the time of update.
     
Questions may be directed to:
     
Ms. Sue Meadows
Project Director
BITNET Node Address:
NXM@NIHCU
     
Office of Grants Inquiries
Division of Research Grants
Westwood Building, Room 449
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7441

     

     

     
                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 1
PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER BIOMEDICAL WORKSHOP ON
SUPERCOMPUTING TECHNIQUES
     
P.T. 42; K.W. 1004000, 0780018
     
Division of Research Resources
     
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) is conducting a five-day workshop
on supercomputing techniques for biomedical researchers December 4-8, 1989.
This workshop is funded by a grant from the Division of Research Resources'
Biomedical Research Technology (BRT) Program of the National Institutes of
Health (NIH).
     
The workshop is aimed at experienced FORTRAN programmers, but prior
supercomputing experience is not necessary.  The topics include an
introduction to VMS (half-day, optional), the Cray-Vax interface, the UNICOS
operating system, optimization techniques, an overview of available biomedical
software and a description of access paths to the PSC.
     
Travel, meals, and hotel accommodations are covered for U.S. academic
participants under the grant.  Enrollment is limited to 20 participants.  THE
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS IS OCTOBER 13, 1989.
     
For application forms and further information, call or write to:
     
Cherolyn A. Brooks
User Services
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
4400 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  15213
Telephone:  (412) 268-5206, or 1-800-222-9310 (Pennsylvania)
            1-800-221-1641 (outside Pennsylvania)

REVISIONS IN THE SALARY SCHEDULE FOR ADAMHA RESEARCH CAREER AWARDS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1014006
     
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
National Institute on Drug Abuse
National Institute of Mental Health
     
Beginning with awards made from Fiscal Year 1990 funds (i.e., awards made
after October 1, 1989), the Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health
Administration (ADAMHA) will raise the salary limit on all research career
awards.  This will include competing and noncompeting awards for the following
funding mechanisms:
     
Research Scientist Development Award, Level I*   K01
Research Scientist Development Award, Level II   K02
Research Scientist Award                         K05
NIMH Academic Awards                             K07
NIMH Clinical Investigator Award*                K08
NIMH Physician Scientist Award*                  K11
Scientist Development Award for Clinicians       K20
Scientist Development Award                      K21
     
Under the new policy, ADAMHA will provide an amount equal to 100 percent of
the candidate's base institutional salary up to a maximum of $45,000, or for
base institutional salaries higher than $60,000, ADAMHA will provide an amount
equal to 75 percent of the candidate's base institutional salary up to a
maximum of $75,000.  Based on this policy, ADAMHA's contribution to the salary
will be calculated using the following table:
     
Base Institutional Salary    ADAMHA Contribution
Adjusted for Percent Time
Dedicated to the Grant
     
Up to $45,000                100 percent of the Institutional Salary
     
$45,001-$60,000              $45,000
     
$60,001 and above            75 percent of the Institutional Salary
                             up to a Maximum of $75,000

     
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 2
The calculation of the ADAMHA's contribution includes an adjustment of the
base institutional salary to incorporate the percentage time the candidate
proposes to devote to the grant.
     
* No new K01, K08 or K11 awards will be made after Fiscal Year 1989.

CLARIFICATION OF THE ANIMAL FACILITIES IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
     
RFA 89-RR-02 - DEVELOPING AND IMPROVING INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCES
     
RFA 89-RR-03 - ANIMAL FACILITY IMPROVEMENTS FOR SMALL RESEARCH PROGRAMS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002002, 0201011
     
Division of Research Resources
     
The Division of Research Resources has recently announced two competitive
grant programs to assist institutions in upgrading their research animal
facilities.  The first program, "Developing and Improving Institutional Animal
Resources", RFA 89-RR-02, was announced in the April 28, 1989 issue of the NIH
Guide for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 18, No. 15, and is intended for, but is
not restricted to, those institutions that receive more than $500,000 of
Public Health Service funds annually for animal-related research.  The total
award must be matched (dollar-for-dollar) by non-federal funds.
     
The second program, RFA 89-RR-03, "Animal Facility Improvements for Small
Research Programs", was announced in the July 7, 1989 issue of the NIH Guide
for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 18, No. 23, and is intended for those
institutions that receive less than $500,000 of Public Health Service funds
annually for animal-related research.  No matching funds are required.  An
institution that is eligible for the second program is also eligible for the
first program but can only apply to one program, not both.
     
It is currently anticipated that $9.931 million will be available for the
program announced under RFA 89-RR-02 (not $10.931 million as previously
announced), and $1 million will be available for the program announced under
RFA 89-RR-03.  The traditional 3-year facility improvement program is no
longer active.
     
Details of each program can be obtained by contacting:
     
Director
Laboratory Animal Sciences Program
Division of Research Resources
5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 853
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5175

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

TECHNICAL, ANALYTICAL, AND DOCUMENTATION SUPPORT SERVICES FOR THE NATIONAL
HEART, BLOOD VESSEL, LUNG, AND BLOOD DISEASES AND BLOOD RESOURCES PROGRAM
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  RFP-NHLBI-HO-89-11
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0780000
     
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
     
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) will make available to
interested contractors a request for proposals to support activities for the
National Heart, Blood Vessel, Lung, and Blood Diseases and Blood Resources
Program (P.L. 99-158).  In administering the Program, NHLBI supports a variety
of task forces, conferences, and workshops and prepares numerous reports and
technical documents.  Services are required to:  (1) provide technical support
to scientific working groups; (2) provide documentation support including
preparation of technical reports; prepare visual exhibits such as briefing
materials; and editorial support for many diverse, technical reports; and (3)
provide analytic support including qualitative and quantitative data
collection and appropriate synthesis.  Documentation services are required to
assist in the preparation of the NHLBI Fact Book, the Annual Report of the
Director, the semi-annual Program and Fiscal Reviews of the NHLB Advisory
Council, and a variety of special-purpose scientific reports.  Additionally,
scientific meeting, workshop, and analytic and documentation services are
required in support of various activities and projects undertaken by the
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 3
Divisions of the Institute and the Office of the Director, including for
example, updates of the National Program Plan and support for the Office of
Prevention, Education, and Control (OPEC) and the Office of Program Planning
and Evaluation (OPPE).  The support for all tasks during the five-(5) year
contract period will require approximately 12 person years per year.  The
project staff of the successful offeror (and subcontractors if any) must be
available to meet with program staff at the National Institutes of Health, in
Bethesda, with as little as two (2) hours advance notice.  Such meetings on
any given day may involve one or more members of the offeror's team and cannot
be scheduled in advance.  When otherwise possible, meetings will be scheduled
in advance.  The successful offeror must be fully able to meet this
requirement within 30 days of contract award.
     
This is not a Request for Proposals.  RFP NHLBI-HO-89-11 will be released on
or about August 25, 1989, with proposals due on or about September 27, 1989.
One (1) award is anticipated by the Government.  Your written request should
include three (3) labels, self-addressed with your mailing address, and must
cite RFP No. NHLBI-HO-89-11.
     
Requests for copies of the RFP should be sent to the following address:
     
Kristee M. Ryman, Contract Specialist
HLVD Contracts Section, Contracts Operations Branch, DEA
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 4C04
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, Maryland  20892

INTERVENTION RESEARCH IN HISPANIC POPULATIONS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  89-CA-15
     
P.T. 34, FD; K.W. 0715035, 0745027, 0795003, 0745000
     
National Cancer Institute
     
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  September 1, 1989
Application Receipt Date:  December 1, 1989
     
The Special Populations Studies Branch of the Division of Cancer Prevention
and Control (DCPC), National Cancer Institute (NCI), announces the
availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) inviting Cooperative
Agreement applications for investigators to participate, with the assistance
of the NCI, in studies to determine the effectiveness of cancer prevention and
control intervention strategies in Hispanic populations.
     
The subjects for the studies will be Mexican Americans, Puerto Ricans, Cuban
Americans or Central/South Americans residing in the United States.  The
research will involve studies which address:  1) the efficacy and
effectiveness of existing cancer prevention and control intervention
strategies; or 2) the development of new intervention strategies.  The range
of research is not limited to any particular aspect of cancer prevention and
control but must be multidisciplinary and may include, for example:
     
o  methods for circumventing barriers to health system utilization,
o  strategies to increase early detection of cancer, and/or
o  prevention strategies including smoking cessation and dietary
   modification.
     
The intervention research will advance through two stages:  A Methods
Development or Strategies Modification, i.e., Developmental stage, Stage One
(Cancer Control Phase II Research Studies) followed by an Intervention
Implementation and Evaluation stage, Stage Two (Cancer Control Phase III
Research Studies).  Investigators submitting evidence of intervention
methods/strategies already pilot tested in Hispanic communities may opt for
studies focusing solely on the Intervention Implementation/Evaluation stage.
     
Intervention Research in Hispanics is to be characterized by methods which
will circumvent or reduce barriers to cancer prevention and control programs
and services; and, as in the case of smoking prevention and cessation or
dietary change, by methods which are used to modify existing behavior or
prevent the development of cancer risk behaviors.  Barriers include but are
not limited to:  (1) Behavioral/Cultural Barriers, i.e., language differences,
social-psychological considerations, particular cultural beliefs which may
affect accessing cancer control services, lack of knowledge and understanding
of cancer prevention and control opportunities; and (2) Health System/
Structural Barriers, i.e., availability of cancer control services, financial
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 4
limitations, transportation barriers and limited bi-lingual/cultural health
care providers.  Smoking prevention and cessation as well as dietary change
programs are also appropriate intervention areas which may be considered.
     
The assistance mechanism used to support these studies will be the cooperative
agreement, which is similar to the traditional NIH research grant.  It differs
from a research grant in the extent and nature of NCI staff involvement with
investigators.  Two elements are critical for obtaining support for a study:
Respondents must demonstrate the ability to:  1) access and obtain the
participation of the Hispanic population in which the cancer intervention
study will be conducted, and 2) develop and evaluate a culturally compatible
intervention in the target population.  Interested institutions may request
copies of the RFA.  Note that awards will not be made to foreign institutions.
It is anticipated that five to six awards will be made.
     
Requests for copies of the RFA should be addressed to:
     
Elva Ruiz
Special Populations Studies Branch
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Room 240
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, Maryland  20897
Telephone:  (301) 496-8589

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

RESEARCH ON URINARY INCONTINENCE AND OTHER URINARY DYSFUNCTION IN OLDER
PERSONS
     
P.T. 34, CC; K.W. 0785220, 0755030, 0755015, 0710100, 0745047, 0765035,
0745020
     
National Institute on Aging
     
The National Institute on Aging (NIA) announces a continuing interest in
support of research on urinary incontinence and other urinary dysfunction in
older persons.
     
BACKGROUND
     
Urinary incontinence, the involuntary loss of urine so severe as to have
social and/or hygienic consequences, is a major clinical problem and a
significant cause of disability and dependency.  Urinary incontinence affects
all age groups and is particularly common in older persons.  At least 10
million adult Americans suffer from urinary incontinence, including
approximately 15 to 30 percent of community-dwelling older people and at least
one-half of all nursing home residents.  The monetary costs of managing
urinary incontinence are conservatively estimated at $10.3 billion annually,
and the psychosocial burden of urinary incontinence is great.
     
Urinary incontinence is a symptom rather than a disease.  It appears in a
limited number of clinical patterns, each having several possible causes.  In
some cases, the disorder is transient, secondary to an easily reversed cause
such as a medication or an acute illness like urinary tract infection.  Many
cases are chronic, however, lasting indefinitely unless properly diagnosed and
treated.
     
An NIH Consensus Development Conference entitled "Urinary Incontinence in
Adults" was held October 3-5, 1988.  This conference was sponsored by the
National Institute on Aging and the Office of Medical Applications of Research
of the National Institutes of Health, in conjunction with the National
Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, the National Center
for Nursing Research, the National Institute of Neurological and Communicative
Disorder and Stroke and the Veterans Administration.
     
The Consensus Development Conference provided an overview of current knowledge
on the etiology, pathophysiology, sequelae, and management of this prevalent
clinical problem.  Although information on incontinence is increasing, the
field has long been neglected, and numerous gaps exist in our knowledge.
While many controversies were addressed, numerous questions were identified
that await answers and thus serve as the focus for future research directions.
These issues will require the collaborative input of investigators from the
spectrum of relevant disciplines and the rigorous application of appropriate

                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 5
research principles.  The Conference concluded with the conferees' issuance of
a statement identifying needs for future research.
     
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
The following list of future directions for needed research were identified by
the Consensus Development Conference on Urinary Incontinence in Adults.
     
o Basic research on the mechanisms underlying the etiology, exacerbation, and
response to treatment of specific forms of urinary incontinence and urgency.
     
o Epidemiologic studies with emphasis on elucidation of risk factors for
development of urinary incontinence, its occurrence in specific populations
(particularly males and nonwhites), and the natural history of the various
clinical and physiologic subtypes.
     
o Studies of strategies to prevent urinary incontinence.
     
o Randomized clinical trials, including longitudinal studies in well-specified
populations, of algorithms for the systematic assessment of patients with
incontinence and of specific behavioral, pharmacologic, and surgical
treatment, either alone or in combination.
     
o Development of new therapies, including pharmacologic agents with greater
specificity for the urinary tract and new behavioral and surgical strategies
and other innovative techniques, including electrical stimulation.
     
The above noted topics for research on urinary incontinence are also
applicable to other common disorders of urinary dysfunction including urgency,
frequency and retention.  Applications addressing these problems are also
sought.
     
The specific research areas listed above are not intended to limit the
selection of topics for investigation in any research area related to urinary
tract dysfunction in older persons.  The NIA is interested in all innovative
research on the epidemiology, etiology, prevention, pathophysiology, diagnosis
and treatment of this problem.
     
APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
The primary mechanisms for support of this program are:
     
o  Research grant (R01)
     
o  Program Project Award (P01)
     
o  First Independent Research Support and Transition (FIRST)
   Award (R29)
     
o  Career awards, which include:
     Academic Award (K08)
     Clinical Investigator Award (K08)
     
o  Training grants (T32)
     
o  Fellowships (F32, F33)
     
Applications for R01s, R29s, F32s and F33s will be reviewed for scientific and
technical merit by an appropriate study section in the NIH Division of
Research Grants.  All other applications will be reviewed by an appropriate
Institute review committee.  Secondary review will be performed by an
appropriate National Advisory Council.
     
There are no set-aside funds for these applications.  Applications compete on
the basis of scientific merit with all other applications.  The review
criteria are those for research project, program project, career development,
training, and fellowship applications.
     
The NIH urges applicants for grants to include members of minority groups and
women in the study populations for research.  In those instances in which this
is not feasible or appropriate an explanation should be provided.
     
Researchers considering an application in response to this announcement are
welcome to discuss their project, and the range of grant mechanisms available,
with NIA staff in advance of formal submission.  This can be done either
through a telephone conversation or a brief letter giving the descriptive
title of the proposed project and identifying the principal investigator and,
when known, other key participants.
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 6
Applicants should use the regular research project grant application form (PHS
398, rev.  10/88) or individual NRSA grant application form (PHS 419-1, rev.
7/88) for fellowships, available at the applicant's institution or from:
     
Office of Grants Inquiries
Division of Research Grants
Westwood Building, Room 449
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda,  Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7441
     
To expedite the application's routing within NIH, please check the box on the
face sheet of the application indicating that your proposal is in response to
this announcement and print (next to the checked box) "NIA Research on Urinary
Incontinence etc., P.A."
     
Mail the completed application (with 6 copies) to:
     
Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland  20892**
     
Receipt dates for Research Grant, Program Project Grant, Career Award and
First Award applications are February 1, June 1, and October 1; those for
Training Grant and Fellowship applications are January 10, May 10, and
September 10.
     
Correspondence and inquiries should be directed to:
     
Stanley L. Slater, M.D.
Director, Geriatric Research and Training Program
Geriatrics Branch
National Institute on Aging
National Institutes of Health
Building 31, Room 5C27
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6761

SMALL GRANTS TO FACILITATE USE OF NEW TECHNIQUES BY RESEARCHERS IN DIABETES,
ENDOCRINOLOGY AND METABOLISM
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002004, 1002008, 0710065, 0790010, 1002058, 0765035
     
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
     
INTRODUCTION
     
The Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases (DDEM) supports
research and training related to diabetes mellitus and its complications, to
endocrinology and to a variety of genetic metabolic diseases, including cystic
fibrosis.  Within each of these areas, the pursuit of research into the
mechanisms of various regulatory functions and disease pathophysiology often
requires the ability to use new techniques of structural, molecular and
cellular biology, genetics, biophysics, virology, immunology, and physiology.
The DDEM encourages Principal Investigators (PIs) supported by the Diabetes
Research Programs, the Endocrinology Research Program, the Metabolic Diseases
Research Program and the Cystic Fibrosis Program, or under special
circumstances a member of the PI's research team, to obtain first hand
experience with new techniques as a Visiting Researcher in the laboratory of
an expert Host.  The new techniques should be an integral part of an original
pilot research project conceived by the Visiting Researcher in collaboration
with the Host.  The proposed research project should result in novel
preliminary data which could strengthen a subsequent application for regular
grant support.
     
OBJECTIVES AND SCOPE
     
The overall goal of this program announcement is to facilitate incorporation
of relevant new techniques into research projects supported by DDEM.
Prospective Visiting Researchers in diabetes, endocrinology and metabolism are
encouraged to identify Hosts in order to prepare and submit a small grant
application.  The application must be submitted by the Visiting Researcher and
his/her Institution.  The proposed original research project, to be performed
in the Host's laboratory, need not be directly related to diabetes,
endocrinology or metabolism.  However, the techniques utilized while
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 7
performing the research project must be directly applicable to the Visiting
Researcher's future work in these areas.
     
Some examples of new techniques are:  recombinant DNA; gene mapping and/or
sequencing; production of transgenic cell lines and organisms including vector
construction, transfection and infection; hybridoma production; identification
of gene products; cell sorting and trafficking; signal transduction including
patch clamping; peptide/protein crystallographic analysis; peptide/protein
modeling and molecular dynamics simulations; 2D-nuclear magnetic resonance of
peptides/proteins; in vitro and in vivo magnetic resonance spectroscopy or
magnetic resonance imaging and other biophysical or specialized techniques
useful in diabetes, endocrinology and metabolism research.
     
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
     
The proposed Visiting Researcher must be Principal Investigator on at least
one DDEM-supported research project grant (R01) or Principal Investigator on a
program project grant (P01), or research center grant (P50).  Under special
circumstances the principal investigator may sponsor a qualified member of
his/her team, provided the member returns to the Sponsor's laboratory and
applies the acquired techniques for at least one year.  In this case, the
Sponsor will serve as the Principal Investigator on the project.
     
The Host institution must be different from the Visiting Researcher's.  Under
compelling circumstances an exemption from this requirement may be considered,
but in such cases prior written approval must be obtained from the appropriate
program director before the application is submitted.
     
All applicants must have received a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent degree from an
accredited domestic or foreign institution, and must have had at least seven
subsequent years of relevant research or professional experience.
Demonstrated research ability must be evidenced by publications and former or
current grants from NIH, NSF or research foundations.  The Host must be an
established researcher with recognized expertise in the area of the pilot
research project proposed.
     
All Hosts, Visiting Researchers, or sponsored Visiting Researchers must be
citizens or noncitizen nationals of the United States, or have been lawfully
admitted to the United States for permanent residence.
     
PURPOSE AND TERMS OF THE AWARD
     
This non-renewable award provides a maximum of $12,500 to $25,000 for a 3-6
months period in a Host laboratory with periods less than six months being
prorated.  The funds are to be used for salaries, supply needs in the Host's
laboratory, and travel and subsistence funds for the Visiting Researcher.  A
maximum of $2,500 to 5,000 for 3 to 6 months respectively is allowed for
salaries of technical personnel in the Host laboratory.  A subcontract
agreement with the Host institution will be necessary if funds are to be
provided to the Host's institution.  The proposed activity must be full-time
and must include the conduct of research with supervision provided by the
Host, or by the Host in association with an expert member of the Host's
laboratory.  A minimum full-time commitment of 3 months is required.  The
activity should be scheduled within the 12 month period following the date of
the award.  The setting may be a U.S. nonprofit private or public institution,
including a Federal laboratory.  Funding of meritorious applications submitted
in response to this program announcement is contingent on the actual
availability of funds.
     
APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
An anticipated schedule for review and award is detailed below:
     
Application                NIDDK Initial              Earliest
Receipt Date            Review Committee              Award Date
     
June 1                      September - October       December 1
October 1                   February                  April 1
Feb 1                       June                      September 1
     
The above three, yearly receipt dates will be strictly enforced.
     
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed (initially) by the Division of
Research Grants (DRG) for completeness.  Incomplete applications will be
returned to the applicant without further consideration.  Applications will
then be reviewed by a standing NIDDK review committee, based on the following
criteria:

                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 8
1.  Is it likely that preliminary data will result that could strengthen
    the PI's research program and/or are the techniques being learned
    likely to further the PI's research interests?
     
2.  Will the Visiting Researcher gain hands-on experience in techniques
    not easily available to him/her at his/her own institution?
     
3.  Are techniques proposed in the research project relevant to the
    Visiting Researcher's future studies in diabetes, endocrinology, or
    metabolism?
     
4.  Is the Host's laboratory and staff involved in this project
    appropriate for the proposed work?
     
5.  Is the experimental design adequate and appropriate?
     
The review group will also critically examine the submitted budget and will
recommend an appropriate budget for each approved application.
     
On line 2 of the application face page, check YES and insert the title of this
Program Announcement "Small Grants to Facilitate Use of New Techniques by
Researchers in Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism."
     
Applicants should submit a signed, typewritten original of the application,
including the Checklist, and four (4) signed, exact photocopies, in one
package to the Division of Research Grants at the address below.  The
photocopies must be clear and single sided.
     
Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland  20892**
     
At the time of submission, two additional copies of the application should be
sent to:
     
Review Branch
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive
  and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 406
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
     
REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
     
A Final Progress Report, an Invention Statement and a Financial Status Report
must be submitted within ninety days after the termination of the award.  This
final reporting requirement is the same as that for other types of research
grants and is in accord with 42 CFR 52 and 45 CFR 74.
     
CONSULTATION WITH PROGRAM STAFF
     
Prospective applicants are encouraged to discuss their ideas with program
staff (see below) to determine whether they fit the definitions and guidelines
of this announcement.  Applications which, in the opinion of staff, do not
meet these objectives, scope and eligibility criteria will be returned without
review.
     
Although the abbreviated application must be prepared and submitted on form
PHS 398 (revised 10/88), the format of the application is different from that
used for regular research project grants.  The COMPLETE PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT
and SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR preparation of the application are available and
MUST BE consulted by the applicant before preparing an application.  Program
staff listed below should be contacted with questions or requests:
     
For Endocrinology, Metabolism     For Diabetes:
and Cystic Fibrosis:
     
Robert Katz, Ph.D.                Joan T. Harmon, Ph.D.
Deputy Chief, Endocrinology       Director, Diabetes Research Program
and Metabolic Diseases            DDEM, NIDDK
Programs Branch, DDEM, NIDDK      Westwood Building, Room 622
Westwood Building, Room 607A      NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
NIH, Bethesda, Maryland  20892    Telephone:  (301) 496-7731
Telephone:  (301) 496-7997

     
                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 9
SOCIAL SUPPORT AND CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715040, 0715095, 0715072, 0411005
     
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
     
Over the past 15 years a number of population-based studies have demonstrated
a consistent relationship between inadequate social relationships or support
and emotional states (e.g., anxiety, depression), and prevalence of
cardiovascular (CV) risk factors, morbidity, all-cause mortality, and
mortality from cardiovascular disease (CVD).  Data on the association between
social support and health come from a diverse set of international
investigations.  In the Alameda County Study low social support was
prospectively related to all-cause mortality and this relationship was
maintained after controlling for socioeconomic status, initial health status,
and standard risk factors (e.g., smoking, obesity, alcohol consumption).
Furthermore, low support predicted specific causes of death, including
ischemic heart disease and cancer.  In a prospective Tecumseh, Michigan study,
a similar relationship between social support and mortality was found for men.
Relationships between support and mortality were found in the Evans County,
Georgia, study for white men, but not for women or black men.  In a predictive
study conducted on older men and women in Durham, North Carolina, availability
of support, frequency of contacts with network members, and perceptions of
support were all related to mortality after controlling for socioeconomic
status, physical health, stress, and smoking.
     
Outside the United States, population studies have replicated this social
support and mortality relationship.  In a study of men in Gothenburg, Sweden,
social participation was negatively related to mortality.  This relationship
was maintained after controlling for age and cardiovascular risk factors.
Similarly, a positive effect of social contacts and social interactions on
survival was found for a random sample of the Swedish population aged 29 to
74.  In the Finnish North Karelia study, social support was associated with
total and cardiovascular mortality in men.
     
In a prospective study of male survivors of myocardial infarction (MI), it was
found that low support coupled with psychological strain predicted post-MI
mortality after controlling for medical status and traditional CVD risk
factors.  Recent studies have also demonstrated a relationship between social
support and health behaviors.  For example, people with adequate support may
be more likely to comply with medical regimens, and may be more successful at
altering risk behaviors (e.g., smoking cessation).  Some data also demonstrate
a possible role for positive social relations and health-seeking behaviors,
short-term recovery from cardiovascular events, and long-term adjustment to
CVD.  For example, access to supportive others has been identified as a
component in facilitating recovery from bypass surgery.
     
Support may also buffer the effect of stress on health.  A study conducted in
the Netherlands, for example, found that stressed employees with social
support had lower blood pressure than stressed employees without support.  A
Swedish study of work conditions, particularly degree of control over the work
day, perceptions of autonomy, and sources of social support, revealed that the
highest rates of cardiovascular disease occurred in persons who perceived high
stress in their jobs, had a low ability to control their working environment,
and had low social support.
     
To summarize, population-based studies have consistently demonstrated a
relationship between social support and CVD-related health and well-being.
This association is particularly robust when one considers that the empirical
investigations have been notably diverse with marked variations in
sociocultural contexts, measures of social support, study endpoints, and
confounding variables.  Unfortunately, very little is known beyond these broad
associations between social support and CVD.  More specifically, studies to
date have not been designed to address the mechanisms and processes that may
account for these broad associations between social support and CVD-related
health.  Until a clearer understanding of these processes is achieved,
interventions designed to alleviate the negative health effects of inadequate
social support are not feasible.
     
The purpose of this announcement is to stimulate research designed to
investigate the processes through which social support may influence the
onset, severity, progression or adjustment to cardiovascular disease.
Applicants are encourage to include within their proposals the following
elements:  a clearly specified model of the processes through which support
influences CVD, reliable and valid measures of social support and related
constructs that are appropriate to the model being tested, a clear
conceptualization of the form of support relevant to the model investigated
and endpoints assessed, reliable and valid assessments of the factors that may
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 10
relate to social support or to the outcome measures used (e.g., other risk
factors for CVD), and sophisticated assessment of outcomes and mediating
variables.  Studies using multilevel assessment approaches (e.g., behavioral
and biochemical) are encouraged.  Endpoints might include angina, disease
progression, recovery rates, return to normal functioning (e.g., multi-domain
quality of life assessments), changes in risk factor behaviors, medication and
regimen adherence, and rehospitalization.  Multiple outcome measures are
particularly valuable.
     
The complexity of the issues related to social support and CVD necessitate the
use of an interdisciplinary research team, with demonstrated expertise in the
biomedical and behavioral sciences required.  In addition, depending on the
specific questions addressed and population examined, the investigative team
may include individuals with expertise in areas such as health, developmental,
social and biopsychology; nutrition; behavioral epidemiology; preventive
cardiology, cardiology, cardiac surgery, and rehabilitation cardiology;
biostatistics and psychometrics; and nursing.
     
It is anticipated that successful respondents to this announcement may be
invited to meet annually to discuss research designs, develop comparable
measures, compare results, and consider the implications of the results for
future intervention-based investigations.
     
Application Submission and Review
     
Application receipt dates for new applications are the regular application
receipt dates of February 1, June 1, and October 1.  The first acceptable
receipt date will be February 1, 1990.  The earliest possible award date is
approximately ten months after the receipt date.  Applications should use the
regular research grant application PHS Form 398 (revised 10/88), which is
available at most institutional business offices or from the Division of
Research Grants (DRG), NIH.
     
To identify responses to this announcement, check "yes" and put "Social
Support and Cardiovascular Disease" under item 2 of page 1 of those grant
applications relating to the topics identified herein.  The completed
application and six exact copies should be mailed to:
     
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland  20892**
     
The DRG will assign applications for review according to the NIH process for
regular research grant applications.  Additional information may be obtained
by contacting:
     
Sally A. Shumaker, Ph.D.
Behavioral Medicine Branch
Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Applications
National Heart, Lung, & Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 216
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9380
     
*This program is described in the catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.837, Heart and Vascular Disease Research.  Awards will be made under the
authority of the Public Health Service Act, Section 301 (42 USC 241) and
administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations, most
specifically 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR part 74.  This program is not subject
to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372, or to
Health Systems Agency Review.

BEHAVIORAL, ETIOLOGIC AND PHYSIOLOGIC ASPECTS OF STUTTERING
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710120, 0414015, 0755030, 0765035, 0415001
     
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
     
The Division of Communication Sciences and Disorders (DCSD) of the National
Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) encourages the
submission of individual research project grants to investigate stuttering.

     

                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 11
I. BACKGROUND
     
Stuttering, a speech disorder which typically begins during the preschool
years, is characterized by the repetition and prolongation of speech sounds.
Many individuals who begin to stutter during childhood experience spontaneous
remission of their symptoms by adolescence.  More information is needed
concerning the causes of this disorder and the reasons for spontaneous
recovery.  Because there is a lack of unanimity concerning the definition of
this disorder, diagnostic criteria are needed for the identification of both
child and adult stutterers.  Experimental investigations that expand our
knowledge of stuttering in these areas will lead to improved treatment
methods.
     
II.  RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
The NIDCD encourages investigations into the etiology, identification,
development, and treatment of stuttering.  Investigators are encouraged to
develop single-investigator or interdisciplinary studies in the following
areas, which are not exclusive:
     
o Etiology:  Factors contributing to the development of stuttering;
identification of familial characteristics associated with stuttering.
Studies may utilize high-density designs (families with stuttering adults and
young children at risk for developing stuttering), with assessment of
phenotype in each family.
     
o Identification:  Objective criteria or identification measures appropriate
for the specification of speech similarities and differences between
stutterers and non-stutterers.
     
o Pathophysiology of stuttering:  determine the physiological differences
between stutterers and normal speakers and the relationship between
physiological differences and speech characteristics.
     
o Development of stuttering:  The relationship between speech and language
development and the onset of stuttering; characteristics of childhood
stutterers who recover vs those whose symptoms persist; characteristics of
speech of "recovered stutterers"; factors which contribute to relapse; the
characteristics of fluent speech development; the differentiating of normal
dysfluency from mild stuttering.
     
o Treatment:  Procedures appropriate for assessing stuttering pre- and
post-treatment; the relationship between characteristics present at onset of
treatment to treatment outcome.  Studies may address the evaluation of
specific treatments, early intervention, changes in stuttering during
treatment, and maintenance of fluency following treatment.
     
III.  Mechanisms of Support
     
The support mechanism for grants in this area will be the individual research
grant (RO1) and the FIRST award (R29).  Under these mechanisms, the principal
investigator and any participating investigators will plan, direct, and
perform the research.
     
APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
Applications must be prepared on form PHS 398 (Rev.  10/88) using the
instructions included in the application kit.  These kits are available from
the address cited below or from the Division of Research Grants, National
Institutes of Health, Westwood Building, Room 449, Bethesda, MD 20892.
     
Receipt dates for new research project grant and FIRST award applications are
February 1, June 1, and October 1.
     
On page 1 of form PHS 398, check "yes" in item 2 and type:  "NIDCD
Announcement:  Behavioral, Etiologic, and Physiologic Aspects of Stuttering."
Use the mailing label provided in the application kit and mail the signed
original and six exact copies to the Division of Research Grants (DRG).
     
Research project grant and FIRST award applications will be reviewed for
scientific and technical merit by an appropriate study section in the Division
of Research Grants.  Secondary review will be by the National Institute on
Deafness and Other Communication Disorders National Advisory Council
Applications judged to be within the purview of other Institutes of NIH will
be assigned accordingly.

     
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 12
For further information, potential applicants are encouraged to call or write
to:
     
Judith A. Cooper, Ph.D.
Division of Communication Sciences and Disorders
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Federal Building, Room 1C-06
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5061
     
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.854, Biological Basis Research in the Neurosciences and Communicative
Sciences, and No. 13.853, Clinical Basis Research in the Neurosciences and
Communicative Sciences.  Awards will be made under the authority of the Public
Health Service Act, Section 301 (42 USC241) and administered under PHS grant
policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This
program is not subject to review by a Health Systems Agency.

                                    ERRATA

"OTHER SUPPORT" IN PHS GRANT APPLICATIONS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1014002, 1014006
     
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
     
The Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) was
inadvertently omitted from the notice when it was published in the NIH Guide
for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 18, No. 20, Page 2, June 9, 1989.  This notice
also applies to all applicants for grant support from ADAMHA.

PHS GRANT APPLICATION FORM 398 -- REMINDERS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710030, 1014002
     
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
     
The Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) was
inadvertently omitted from the notice when it was published in the NIH Guide
for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 18, No. 20, Page 3, June 9, 1989.  These
reminders regarding Form 398 also apply to applications for support from
ADAMHA.

PHS 398 MISCONDUCT IN SCIENCE ASSURANCE
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710030, 1014002
     
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
     
The Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration was inadvertently
omitted from the notice when it was published in the NIH Guide for Grants and
Contracts, Vol. 18, No. 20, Page 3, June 9, 1989.

INCLUSION OF MINORITIES IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
P.T. 34, FF; K.W. 1014002, 0710030
     
INCLUSION OF WOMEN IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
P.T. 34, II; K.W. 0770000, 1014002
     
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
     
The contact offices for further clarification or discussion of these issues
were listed incorrectly in the notice when it was published in the NIH Guide
for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 18, No. 21, Pages 1-4, June 16, 1989.  The
correct contacts are listed below:

     

     
                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 13
NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON ALCOHOL ABUSE AND ALCOHOLISM
     
Director, Office of Scientific Affairs
NIAAA, ADAMHA
Parklawn Building, Room 16C-20
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4375
     
NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON DRUG ABUSE
     
Director, Office of Extramural Programs
NIDA, ADAMHA
Parklawn Building, Room 10-42
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-2620
     
NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON MENTAL HEALTH
     
Director, Division of Extramural Programs
NIMH, ADAMHA
Parklawn Building, Room 9-105
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3367

     
**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:
     
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

                  Vol. 18, No. 28, August 18, 1989 - Page 14
            FULL TEXT OF RFAs FOR ONLINE ACCESS

RFA NUMBER: 89-CA-15
RFA TITLE:  INTERVENTION RESEARCH IN HISPANIC POPULATIONS
P.T. 34, FD;  K.W. 0715035, 0745027, 0795003, 0745000
     
NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE
     
Letter of Intent Receipt Date: 09/01/89
Application Receipt Date: 12/01/89
     
I. PURPOSE
     
The Division of Cancer Prevention and Control (DCPC) invites Cooperative
Agreement applications for investigators to participate, with the assistance
of the National Cancer Institute (NCI), in intervention research directed to
Hispanic populations.  The subjects for the studies will be Mexican Americans,
Puerto Ricans, Cuban Americans, or Central/South Americans residing in the
United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.  The research may involve
but not be limited to:  1) studies which address the efficacy and
effectiveness of existing cancer prevention and control intervention methods
and strategies modified for use with Hispanic populations; or  2) the
development of new strategies for use in the Hispanic population.  The range
of research is not limited to any particular aspect of cancer prevention and
control but must be multidisciplinary and may include, for example:
     
o  methods for circumventing barriers to health system utilization,
o  strategies to increase early detection of cancer, and/or
o  prevention strategies including smoking cessation and dietary
   modification.
     
The intervention research will advance through two stages:  A Methods
Development or Strategies Modification, i.e., Developmental stage, Stage One
(Phase II:  Methods Development in Cancer Control Research Study) followed by
an Intervention Implementation and Evaluation stage, Stage Two (Phase III:
Cancer Control: Controlled Intervention Study).  Investigators submitting
evidence of intervention methods/strategies already pilot tested in Hispanic
communities may opt for studies focusing solely on the Intervention
Implementation/Evaluation stage.
     
Intervention Research in Hispanics is to be characterized by methods which
will circumvent or reduce barriers to cancer prevention and control programs
and services; and, as in the case of smoking prevention and cessation or
dietary change, by methods which are used to modify existing behavior or
prevent the development of cancer risk behaviors.  Barriers include but are
not limited to:  (1) Behavioral/Cultural Barriers, i.e., language differences,
social-psychological considerations, particular cultural beliefs which may
affect the utilization of cancer control services, lack of knowledge and
understanding of cancer prevention and control opportunities; and (2) Health
System/Structural Barriers, i.e., availability of cancer control services,
financial limitations, transportation barriers and limited bi-lingual/cultural
health care providers.  Smoking prevention and cessation as well as dietary
change programs are also appropriate interventions areas which may be
considered.
     
The disciplines and expertise that are appropriate for this research program
may include cancer control science, cancer epidemiology, health education,
anthropology, nutrition, and behavioral sciences.  The research team should
include members with experience in the conduct of epidemiologic or
intervention studies of cancer and/or its associated risk factors and,
preferably, in the conduct of health-related projects within Hispanic
populations.
     
II.  BACKGROUND
     
General
     
The recommendations of the Secretary of Health and Human Services Task Force
on Black and Minority Health, which established the future research agenda for
the Department of Health and Human Services
(HHS), strongly supported investigations into the effectiveness of health system
intervention and preventive services strategies for minorities including
Hispanic populations (1).  Additionally, NCI established in 1981 a set of
principles for cancer control science which are designed to reduce the
incidence, morbidity and mortality of cancers through an orderly sequence of
research on interventions and their effect in defined human populations (2).
The Special Populations Studies Branch (SPSB) within the Cancer Control
Science Program in the Division of Cancer Prevention and Control was
established in l986.  The program goals of the SPSB are designed to address
NCI's year 2000 goal of reducing and eliminating the differential in cancer
incidence, mortality, and survival between minority/special populations and
the general population.  The term "special populations" refers to those
population segments which may experience or are known to experience high
cancer rates and are underserved in terms of cancer prevention and control
programs, (e.g., avoidable mortality, smoking or screening programs).
     
Scientific
     
National data on the health status and cancer control needs of Hispanic
Americans are sparse.  With few exceptions, national data on Hispanic health
issues are not routinely collected.  Although existing data indicate that
Hispanics experience an overall lower cancer incidence rate than other
ethnic/racial groups, they also show that rates for certain cancers are
increasing and appear to be converging with those of the Anglo population.
Other data show that, in the future, smoking may become a major problem with
Hispanic populations; that knowledge of cancer and of cancer warning signs is
not as high as among Anglos; and that certain cancer survival rates are lower
for Hispanics.  For example:
     
     o    Incidence rates for breast cancer increased at a rate three times
          greater than that for Anglo women (Source:  SEER 1973-78 and 1980-
          85) and stage at diagnosis for breast cancer is more advanced in
          Hispanics compared to Anglo women.  (Source:  SEER 1980-85)
     
     o    Lung cancer incidence rates have increased an overall 31 percent,
          compared to 26 percent in Anglos.  (Source:  SEER 1973-81)
     
     o    Smoking prevalence among Hispanic males (30 percent) differs little
          from Anglo males (31 percent).  (Source:  NHIS 1987)
     
     o    Hispanic women were seven times (15 percent) less likely than Anglo
          women (2 percent) to have heard of Pap smears and more than two
          times less likely (32 percent) than Anglo women (12 percent) to have
          heard of mammography.  (Source:  NHIS 1987)
     
Hispanics are an extremely heterogeneous population characterized by rapid
growth, regional concentration, and by demographic, social, economic and
cultural diversity.  About 83 percent of the Mexican Americans reside in the
Southwest (e.g., California, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado), 61
percent of Puerto Ricans live in the Northeast (e.g., New York, New Jersey,
and Massachusetts), 58 percent of Cuban Americans live in the Southeast (e.g.,
Florida) and large numbers of Central/South Americans reside in California,
New York, Florida, and Washington, D.C. (3).  In addition, most Hispanics live
in large metropolitan areas (about 90 percent), particularly inner cities
(about 50 percent) (4).
     
The geographic distribution of Hispanic populations must be taken into
consideration in the development of cancer prevention and control studies.
Consideration must also be given to the age of the population, different
family structures, and educational level and literacy in English.  Both
education levels and literacy in English and Spanish are crucial to the
delivery of cancer prevention and control programs to Hispanic populations.
     
Hispanic populations differ from the general population in their socioeconomic
and demographic characteristics, in their health status and in the way they
deal with health and illness behaviors, as well as in their pattern of health
services utilization.  For example, Hispanics tend to be more fearful of
getting cancer than other people.  They tend to have misconceptions about the
causes of cancer and the effectiveness of treatment.  They are less likely to
visit a doctor for a checkup in a given year.  They are not adequately aware
of most cancer warning signs and cancer prevention measures (5).  Studies to
determine the level of knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding cancer in
specific Hispanic groups should be considered.
     
A frequently overlooked but potentially important factor is the process of
acculturation and the inherent stress which has been associated with the heavy
drinking patterns and higher prevalence of cigarette smoking among Hispanics,
particularly the youth (6).  Data from one study show higher smoking
prevalence for Hispanic school children (9.4 percent) than non-Hispanic school
children (4.5 percent) (7).  The Hispanic Health and Nutrition Evaluation
Survey (HHANES) indicates that by age 15 about 35 percent of Mexican American
and 43 percent of Puerto Rican youth have begun to smoke.  Among adults, the
HHANES data show that some Hispanic groups smoke more than others (63 percent
Mexican American males vs. 42 percent Puerto Rican males) (8).  These figures
together with the evidence that Hispanic communities are being heavily
targeted by cigarette advertising present a picture of possible rapid increase
in lung cancer among Hispanics by the year 2000.
     
Thus, multiple factors appear to contribute to current risk factor levels in
Hispanic populations.  Variations exist among the various Hispanic groups both
to the degree and duration of acculturation and in relation to attained
socioeconomic status.  Innovative intervention research in specific Hispanic
populations is essential; however, it is important to recognize that
generalization of such research is anticipated and desirable.
     
III.  RESEARCH SCOPE AND OBJECTIVES
     
Overview
     
This intervention research program should:  a) assess the efficacy and
effectiveness of existing cancer prevention and control intervention
strategies in Hispanic populations; b) systematically determine the levels and
distributions of recognized risk behaviors and barriers to service; and c)
develop new interventions specific for various Hispanic populations.  The
adaptation and use of existing interventions is encouraged.  The research
interventions used under this Request for Applications (RFA)
shall be culturally sensitive and, where
appropriate, language-specific to address the targeted Hispanic population.
Results should be sought which, for example, indicate the relationship between
cancer incidence or mortality and patterns of behaviors, or patterns of health
care service utilization and cultural barriers inherent in health service
delivery.  This research program is also intended to develop standardized
materials and modalities that would be available for wider community use,
e.g., clinics, hospitals, health departments, etc., providing care to
different Hispanic populations.  The following provides two options for
suggested operational plans and research considerations.
     
Investigators will select from:
     
     Option A:  The research will proceed in two stages:  A Methods Development
     or Strategies Modification, i.e., Developmental stage, Stage One followed
     by an Intervention Implementation and Evaluation stage, Stage Two.  This
     option will provide an opportunity for increasing the network of Hispanic
     investigators.
     
     Option B:  The research will focus on the Intervention Implementation/
     Evaluation stage.  This option will provide an opportunity for
     investigators experienced in conducting studies in Hispanic communities
     to advance their research.
     
Option A:
     
Stage One
     
In Stage One the research will include the modification/adaptation of existing
intervention methods/strategies for use with specific Hispanics groups or the
development and validation of new strategies/instrumentation for use in the
application/evaluation of the cancer prevention and control intervention
research.  Instrument(s)/strategies will be modified/developed and pilot
tested in Stage One and validated in Stage Two using the population for which
they were developed.  Investigators selecting Option B will participate in the
5-6 meetings to be held during the first 18-20 months so that other
investigators will benefit from these investigators' expertise.  For planning
purposes one possible outline of a project is presented below.
     
Objectives for Stage One
     
This stage of the research will have the following objectives:
     
     1.   To develop standardized methods to collect cancer prevention and
          control knowledge, attitude, practice, and services data in the
          selected community(ies).
     
     2.   To develop a core set of intervention activities to be implemented
          and evaluated at each study site during Stage Two.
     
     3.   To develop an overall evaluation strategy and plan for this
          intervention research.  Investigators will decide during Stage One
          whether to coordinate and/or collaborate studies in order to
          maximize and generalize results.
     
Stage One will include:  a) the design, development, and pilot testing of
instrumentation for use in the evaluation of cancer prevention and control
intervention research; b) the identification and analysis of cancer prevention
and control program needs for the specific Hispanic population to be studied;
c) the identification of attitudes, knowledge levels, and the individual
health care utilization practices, d) the adaptation of existing interventions
or development of new interventions, and e) the refinement of the intervention
implementation and evaluation plan for Stage Two.  This segment of the study
should take approximately 18-20 months.  The primary issues to be resolved by
the Steering Committee during this stage of the research include the
identification of core data elements, the development of standardized plans,
and the determination of culturally sensitive/linguistically relevant
research-related issues.
     
Stage Two
     
The intervention implementation and evaluation plan for Stage Two should be
discussed in light of pilot test results, evidence of barriers to service,
evidence of cancer-associated risk factors or based on previous work
experience.  Core intervention knowledge, attitude and practice data obtained
from interview surveys or evidence of cancer prevention or control practice
and risk factor assessment from limited physical examinations would also be
appropriate.
     
Objectives for Stage Two
     
The goal of Stage Two is to conduct the intervention studies and collect the
data needed to evaluate the efficacy and effectiveness of the interventions.
Stage Two will consist of four components:  1) implementing the study design
including the intervention strategy and the evaluation plan, 2) carrying out
the evaluation plan, 3) analyzing the data, and 4) preparing manuscripts for
publication.  It is expected that all participating groups selecting Option
One will implement as part of the project certain standardized intervention
elements determined by the Steering Committee during Stage One.  Stage Two
should take approximately three years to complete for Option A and five years
for Option B.
     
Stage Two will also include a period for finalization of manuscripts and for
close out activities.  Reduced support will be continued for a limited period
to complete final data entry and respond to edit queries.  It is expected that
a description of the main results will be prepared by the investigators and
submitted for publication in the scientific literature.
     
Option B:
     
Those investigators who can document and demonstrate in their proposal that
the activities described in Stage One under Option A, have already been
accomplished for the population in which they intend to intervene may focus
their activities on the Stage Two component of this RFA.  Investigators who
select Option B will participate as members of the Steering Committee along
with those investigators selecting Option A.  Through this joint participation
all projects should benefit.
     
IV.  MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
Support of this program will be through the Cooperative Agreement.  The
Cooperative Agreement is an assistance mechanism in which NCI programmatic
involvement with the recipients during performance of the planned activity is
anticipated.  The nature of NCI staff involvement is described in Section V.
Applicants will be responsible for the planning, direction, and execution of
the proposed project.  Except as otherwise stated in this
RFA, awards will be administered under PHS grants policy as
stated in the Public Health Service Grants Policy Statement, DHHS Publication
No. (OASH) 82-50,000, revised January 1, l987.
     
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Generally, future, unsolicited,
competing, continuation applications will compete as research project
applications with all other investigator-initiated applications and be
reviewed by the Division of Research Grants (DRG).  However, should the NCI
determine that there is a sufficient continuing program need, the NCI will
invite recipients of awards under this RFA to submit continuation competing
cooperative agreement applications.
     
Approximately $1,500,000 in total costs per year for 5 years will be available
to specifically fund applications which are submitted in response to the RFA.
It is anticipated that five to six awards will be made.  This funding level is
dependent on the receipt of a sufficient number of applications of high
scientific merit.  The total project period for applications submitted in
response to this RFA should not exceed five years.  The earliest start date
for the initial awards will be 06/01/90.  Although this program is provided
for in the financial plans of the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the award
of grants pursuant to this RFA is also contingent upon the availability of
funds for this purpose.
     
V.  Terms of Cooperation
     
Under the cooperative agreement, a partnership will exist between the
recipients of the award and the NCI.  The role of the NCI will be to provide
technical assistance to the awardees.  The following terms and conditions
pertaining to the scope and nature of the interaction between the NCI and the
investigators will be incorporated in the Notice of Award.  These agreements
will be in addition to the customary programmatic and financial negotiations
which occur in the administration of grants.  The Terms of Cooperation
described in this section are in addition to, and not in lieu of, otherwise
applicable OMB administrative guidelines; HHS grant administration regulations
at 45 CFR 74; other HHS, PHS, and NIH grant administration policy statements
and other NCI administrative terms of award.  The terms will be as follows:
     
Responsibilities of the Awardees
     
     1.  Coordination Among Investigators
     
          Coordination among investigators is required.  Shortly after the
          awards are made, the Principal Investigators and their key
          personnel, assisted by the NCI Program Director, will develop common
          data elements, evaluation instruments, and procedures where
          appropriate.
     
     2.  Project Implementation
     
          Investigators selected will need to be able and willing to implement
          the core data collection elements and strategies collaboratively
          decided upon by the Steering Committee during Stage One.  For those
          investigators selecting Option B, core elements may already exist
          and therefore may become, but are not required to be, the core
          elements for investigators selecting Option A.  Additionally, the
          investigators must be able to implement the intervention strategy
          specifically designed for their study population.
     
     3.  Meetings
     
          Principal investigators should adequately justify their budget for
          each 12-month segment for a total of five years of support and
          include in their budgets six trips to NCI for up to three persons in
          the first twenty months of the project and two per year thereafter.
          These meetings will be for the purpose of convening the Steering
          Committee which will be the main oversight body for the research
          program described in the RFA.  The Steering Committee will be
          composed of the Principal Investigators from each of the Study
          Groups, including Principal Investigators selecting Option B.  The
          NCI Program Director will call the first meeting shortly after
          awards are made.  Subsequent meetings will be scheduled by the
          Chairperson, other than the NCI representative, selected during the
          first Steering Committee meeting.  Subcommittees of the Steering
          Committee, such as Quality Control and Publications Subcommittees,
          and subcommittees devoted to specific aspects of study design and
          execution will be convened as necessary.  The NCI will have a
          representative, the Program Director, on each Subcommittee.  Local
          external advisory groups may be set up by individual investigators.
          Additional communication will be by telephone conference call
          (approximately monthly).  Further, it is anticipated that common
          data elements, instruments, and procedures will be agreed upon,
          thereby enabling comparisons across cooperative agreements.  This
          may necessitate at least two meetings of the Principal Investigators
          and NCI staff during the manuscript preparation period.
     
     4.  Data Management
     
          NCI staff and Principal Investigators (Steering Committee) will
          periodically review data management procedures and data analyses.
          Each Principal Investigator will be responsible for supplying
          analyzed data for review to the Steering Committee.  Assessment of
          data and recommendations for change will be joint efforts of the
          Steering Committee.
     
     5.  Reporting Requirements
     
          In addition to the required annual progress reports, a summary
          report of the project activities up to implementation of the
          intervention as well as a final report will be required.  Other
          reporting and communication amongst awardees will be decided, as
          necessary, by the Steering Committee.
     
     6.  Publications
     
          Publication of procedures and findings by each awardee is expected.
          Collaborative publications among grantees and NCI are anticipated.
          Inclusion of NCI staff as a co-author will occur if NCI's
          participation in the analysis warrants such.  Plans for joint
          publication will be outlined no later than the fourth year of the
          cooperative agreements.  Copies of all publications and major
          presentations are to be provided to the NCI Program Director.
     
Responsibilities of NCI Staff
     
     1.  Monitoring
     
          There shall be periodic on-site monitoring of each project by the
          NCI Program Director and/or NCI staff designees.  Such visits may
          include discussions with the research team, observation of the
          interventions, monitoring the data quality control system, fiscal
          review, etc.  These reviews may result in a recommendation for
          continuation of support, suspension or termination of support
          previously provided, the withholding of support recommended for
          future budget periods, or adjustments to recommended levels of
          support for future years.
     
     2.  Personnel
     
          The NCI Program Director retains the right to approve all key
          personnel changes during the project period.  Key personnel are the
          Principal Investigator and the principal project staff responsible
          for designing and implementing the intervention.
     
     3.  Award Continuation Process
     
          As part of the annual review process, the NCI Program Director will
          review the conduct of each study, using information obtained from
          site visits and the annual progress report, to determine if
          sufficient progress has been achieved to justify continued funding.
          As described under "Monitoring" above, adjustments to support may be
          made based on the review.  Decisions for continued funding will be
          based on overall progress as well as the criteria listed below:
     
               o    accrual and retention of the number of Hispanic
                    participants adequate to attain the desired statistical
                    power of the project;
     
               o    cooperation with fellow awardees with assistance of the
                    NCI (e.g., attending the Steering Committee meetings;
                    implementing group decisions; complying with reporting
                    requirements, etc.);
     
               o    maintenance of high professional quality in the research
                    and implementation aspects of the project which will allow
                    comparisons across cooperative agreements where common
                    data items exist.
     
Arbitration Procedures
     
These "Terms of Cooperation" require that the NCI Program Director make
various kinds of decisions concerning continuation of an award based on
successful performance of the awardees during the developmental period of
Options A and B of the cooperative agreement.  Disagreements (e.g.,
programmatic, technical, and scientific) arising pursuant to these approvals
will be arbitrated by a panel composed of one award recipient designee, one
NCI designee, and a third designee, with expertise in the relevant area,
chosen by the other two.  These special arbitration procedures in no way
affect the awardee's right to appeal an adverse action in accordance with PHS
regulations at 42 CFR, Part 50, Subpart D and HHS regulations at 45 CFR, Part
16.
     
VI.  SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
     
     1.   The research team, composed of the Principal Investigator and her or
          his Co-Investigators for each project, should have had experience in
          health-related intervention programs and the conduct of studies
          which use interdisciplinary researchers who have collaborated with
          community agencies or groups.  Preferably one team member should be
          an Hispanic investigator.  The applicant should include in the
          application a succinct discussion of previous relevant
          investigational efforts.
     
     2.   The applicant must demonstrate that the research team will be able
          to access the target population and that they have an understanding
          of and are sensitive to the cultural nuances of the target
          population.  Where specific language barriers are important, the
          respondent must provide a plan for addressing these barriers.
     
     3.   The applicant should discuss:  a) what data should be collected; b)
          how, when, where and by whom the data are to be collected; and c)
          the procedures for assuring timeliness, completeness and accuracy of
          the data.
     
     4.   For any study in Hispanic Americans to succeed, an active
          collaboration between investigators and recognized community
          liaisons to the selected Hispanic groups is essential.  Therefore,
          the applicant is required to provide detailed evidence of their
          ability to obtain cooperation and information from the selected
          Hispanic group.
     
     5.   Since evidence exists of variation in cancer rates among the various
          Hispanic groups as well as among those residing in different
          geographic locations, NCI staff will take into account demographic,
          geographic, and Hispanic sub-group distribution in the final
          selection of peer reviewed and approved applications in order to
          obtain an assessment of cancer rates and risk factor levels specific
          to Hispanic Americans of different cultures and/or from different
          geographic locations.
     
     6.   Special consideration in funding will be given to applicants 1)
          targeting intervention research in geographic regions of the United
          States with heavy concentrations of Hispanics residents and/or 2)
          proposing creative methodologies for use with various Hispanic
          groups such as migrant workers, inner city dwellers and middle class
          urban residents.  All Hispanic groups in both urban and rural areas
          are eligible for study under this RFA.
     
VII.  ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
     
Applicants may come from universities, consortia of physicians, public health
departments, voluntary organizations, health clinics, hospitals and service
units, etc., or combinations thereof.  Teams of applicants are encouraged.
Among a team of applicants, one institution must be proposed as the lead
institution to serve as the applicant and assume the responsibility for the
conduct of the project.  Note that awards will not be made to foreign
institutions.
     
VIII.  SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARATION OF COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT
       APPLICATIONS
     
General instructions for the preparation of the cooperative agreement
application are contained in the Grant Application Form PHS 398 (revised
10/88).
     
Because the Terms of Cooperation discussed in Section V above will be
included in all awards issued as a result of this RFA, it is critical that
each applicant include specific plans for responding to these terms.
Applicants should provide a complete description of how they would propose to
conduct the study.  The proposed study design should be completely explained
as if it were the design which would eventually be decided on for
implementation.  Particular attention should be given to provide full
information addressed by the review criteria described under item IX of this
RFA.  Plans should describe how the applicant will comply with the NCI program
staff involvement as well as how all the responsibilities of awardees will be
fulfilled.
     
IX.  REVIEW PROCEDURES AND CRITERIA
     
REVIEW PROCEDURE
     
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed initially by
DRG for completeness.  Incomplete applications will be
returned to the applicant without further consideration.  Evaluation for
responsiveness to the program requirements and criteria stated in the RFA is
an NCI program staff function.  Applications which are judged non-responsive
will be returned but may be submitted by the applicant as investigator-
initiated regular research grants at the next receipt date.
     
In cases where the number of applications is large compared to the number of
awards to be made, the NCI, e.g., Division of Extramural
Activities (DEA), may conduct a preliminary scientific
peer review to eliminate those which are clearly not competitive for award.
The NCI will remove from competition those applications judged to be
noncompetitive and return them to the applicant.  Those applications judged to
be both competitive and responsive will be further evaluated according to the
review criteria stated below for scientific and technical merit by an
appropriate peer review group convened by the
DEA, NCI.  The second level of review by the National Cancer Advisory
Board considers the special needs of the Institute and the priorities of the
National Cancer Program.

REVIEW CRITERIA
     
Applicants are encouraged to submit innovative approaches on how best to meet
the goals of this announcement.  Applications will be judged on the
originality and scientific merit of the application submitted, the
availability of a suitable Hispanic population for study, evidence of ability
to establish collaboration with community groups and other agencies involved
in health care of the selected population, the discussion of considerations
relevant to this RFA, experience of the investigators, capability to perform
the work proposed, and a demonstrated willingness to work together with other
project staff, and NCI staff.  Further criteria for review of the applications
include:
     
1.  Scientific merit of the study for:
     
     Option A:
     
     .    proposed study design
     
     .    evidence of an understanding of the intervention methods/strategies
          effective in reaching the targeted research population
     
     .    methods proposed for assessment of cancer death rates and incidence
          and prevalence
     
     .    methods proposed for assessing risk factors for cancer
     
     .    awareness of existing cancer prevention and control intervention
          materials
     
     .    originality of approach
     
    Option B:
     
     .    all criteria required in Option A
     
     .    evidence that proposed intervention methods/strategies have already
          been pilot tested in the population in which they intend to
          intervene.
     
2.   Capability for identifying a specific Hispanic populations for study and
     recruiting participants for the intervention and evaluation phase
     including:
     
     .    description of the age and sex composition of the population at risk
     
     .    documentation of the availability of adequate records of medical
          care and causes of death for the selected population
     
     .    evidence to indicate the likelihood of acceptable intervention/
          participation rates
     
     .    the geographic location and cultural/linguistic grouping of the
          selected Hispanic group
     
     .    demonstrated agreement of target group to participate in the study
     
3.  Qualifications, experience and commitment of key personnel including:
     
     .    scientific and administrative abilities of the Principal
          Investigator and other team members
     
     .    experience of the investigators and other key personnel in the
          conduct of cancer prevention and control intervention studies
     
     .    experience of members in working with Hispanic Americans and
          involvement of Hispanic investigators and/or other key staff
     
     .    demonstrated evidence of staff understanding of and sensitivity to
          the cultural and language barriers in the Hispanic population
     
     .    ability of key personnel to devote adequate time for the effective
          conduct of the study
     
     .    willingness to work in cooperation with other intervention projects
          and the NCI in the manner summarized in the RFA, including
          implementation of common methods and strategies selected
     
4.  Ability to implement the data collection procedures.
     
5.  Adequacy of facilities and resources available and/or needed.
     
The review group will critically examine the submitted budget and will
recommend an appropriate budget and period of support for each
approved application.
     
X.  LETTER OF INTENT
     
Prospective applicants are asked to submit, by 09/01/89, a letter of intent
that includes a descriptive title of the proposed research, the name and
address of the principal investigator, the names of other key personnel, the
participating institutions, and the number and title of the RFA in response to
which the application is being submitted.
     
Although a letter of intent is not required, is not binding, and does not
enter into the review of subsequent applications, it allows NCI staff to
estimate the potential review workload and to avoid possible conflict of
interest in the review.
     
This letter of intent should be sent to:
     
Elva Ruiz
Special Populations Studies Branch
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Room 240
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, Maryland  20892-4200
Telephone:  (301) 496-8589
     
XI.  INQUIRIES
     
Written or telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and scope of this RFA
or inquiries about whether or not specific proposed research would be
responsive, clarifying scientific content and objectives of an application,
size and focus of a research program, organization of an application, and
appropriate use of consultants are encouraged and should be directed to the
Program Director, Elva Ruiz, at the above address.  The Program Director
welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from potential
applicants.
     
XII.  METHOD OF APPLYING
     
The regular research grant application form PHS-398 (revised 10/88) must be
used in applying for cooperative agreement grants.  These forms are available
at most institutional business offices; from the Office of Grants Inquiries,
Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, Room 449, Westwood
Building, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland 20892; or from the NCI
Program Director named in section X above.
     
The RFA label available in the 10/88 revision of Application Form 398 must be
affixed to the bottom of the face page.  Failure to use this label could
result in delayed processing of your application such that it may not reach
the review committee in time for review.  In addition, the title of the RFA
and the number should be typed on line 2 of the face page on the application
form.
     
Submit a signed, typewritten original of the application, including the
Checklist, and four (4) signed, exact photocopies, in one package to the (DRG)
at the address below.  The photocopies must be clear and single sided.
     
               Division of Research Grants
               National Institutes of Health
               Westwood Building, Room 240
               Bethesda, MD  20892**
     
At time of submission, send two (2) additional copies of the application to:
     
               Referral Officer
               Division of Extramural Activities
               National Cancer Institute
               Room 828, Westwood Building
               5333 Westbard Avenue
               Bethesda, Maryland  20892
     
Applications must be received by 12/01/89.  If an application is received
after that date, it will be returned to the applicant.  Also, the DRG will not
accept any application in response to this announcement that is the same as
one currently being considered by any other review group or NIH awarding unit.
     
REFERENCES
     
1.   Report of the Secretary's Task Force on Black and Minority Health.  Vol.
     VIII:  Hispanic Health Issues, U.S. Department of Health and Human
     Services, Washington, D.C., U.S. Government Printing Office, January,
     l986.
     
2.   NCI Monograph.  Cancer Control Objectives for the Nation:  l985-2000.
     (eds) Greenwald, P. and Sondik, E., Division of Cancer Prevention and
     Control.  NIH Pub No 86-2880, Number 2, l986.
     
3.   U.S. Bureau of the Census. Update to the U.S. Census, 1980.  Department
     of Commerce, March 1988.
     
4.   Valdez R.B.  Cancer in Latino Communities, Presentation at Working Group
     Meeting, Bethesda, MD Sponsored by the National Cancer Institute,
     November, 1988.
     
5.   American Cancer Society. Cancer in the Economically Disadvantaged. The
     Subcommittee on Cancer in the Economically Disadvantaged, June, 1986.
     
6.   Marin G., Marin B.V., Perez-Stable E.J. Patterns of Use of Alcohol
     Beverages Among Hispanics in San Francisco: The Role of Acculturation.
     Technical Report No. 19, Hispanic Smoking Cessation Research Project,
     November, 1987.  Also: Marin, G., Perez-Stable, E.J., and Marin, B.V.
     Cigarette Smoking Among San Francisco Hispanics: The Role of
     Acculturation and Gender.  AJPH, 1989, 79 (2), 196-198.
     
7.   Covington, M.V., and D'Onofrio, C.N. (1985).  Smoking Prevention and
     Youth:  Motivational Strategies. University of California, Berkeley,
     1985.
     
8.   Lecca, P.J.  A Profile of Mexican American and Puerto Rican Health:  Data
     from the Hispanic Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1982-1984
     presented at the National Cancer Institute Working Group Meeting in San
     Antonio, TX,  September, 1987.
     
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.399, Cancer Control Science Program.  Awards are under the authorization of
the Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A and administered under PHS
grant policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.