Subject: (Copy) NIH Guide Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989, Part 1 of 2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 89 14:36 EST

Paul,
   Here's part l on the latest NIH Guide.  Please post it as
NIHGUIDE.082589.  Thanks a lot and I hope you had a very nice vacation.
            Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
Subject: NIH Guide Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989, Part 1 (final)

     

     
     
Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989

                                   NOTICES

NOTICE OF MEETING - PROGRAMS FOR SUPPORT OF MINORITIES IN
BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH ...................................(84/134).............. 1
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

GUIDELINES FOR CLINICAL TRIAL PLANNING GRANT ..........(137/169)............. 1
National Eye Institute
Index:  EYE

AVAILABILITY OF FISH OIL TEST MATERIALS ...............(172/333)............. 2
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

APPLIED RESEARCH ETHICS NATIONAL ASSOCIATION - ANNUAL MEETING ..(336/360).... 4
Applied Research Ethics National Association
Index:  APPLIED RESEARCH ETHICS NATIONAL ASSOCIATION

NOTICE OF MEETINGS - PUBLIC RESPONSIBILITY IN MEDICINE AND RESEARCH ......... 4
Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research                (363/394)
Index:  PUBLIC RESPONSIBILITY IN MEDICINE AND RESEARCH

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

MASTER AGREEMENT FOR BIRTH DEFECTS STUDIES (MAA) .............(404/442)...... 5
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Index:  CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT

DATA CENTER FOR EPIDEMIOLOGICAL INVESTIGATIONS OF HIV (RFP) ..(445/499)...... 5
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES

BASIC CHEMISTRY IN SUPPORT OF AIDS-RELATED STUDIES (RFA) .....(502/580)...... 6
National Institute of General Medical Sciences                (804/981)
Index:  GENERAL MEDICAL SCIENCES

THE BIOCHEMISTRY OF FIBRINOLYSIS (RFA) .............(583/635, 984/1325)...... 7
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD

PUBLIC HEALTH APPROACHES TO BREAST AND CERVIX SCREENING (RFA) ..(641/753).... 8
National Cancer Institute                                     (1328/1918)
Index:  CANCER

     
NOTE:  The final rule entitled, "Responsibilities of Awardee and
Applicant Institutions for Dealing With and Reporting Possible
Misconduct in Science," was published in the Federal Register on
August 8, 1989, Vol. 54, No. 151, pp 32446-32451.  It is anticipated that
this final rule will be published in the NIH Guide for Grants and
Contracts on September 1, 1989.

     

     
     
                                   NOTICES

NOTICE OF MEETING - PROGRAMS FOR SUPPORT OF MINORITIES IN BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH
     
P.T. 42, FF; K.W. 0710030, 1014006
     
National Institutes of Health
     
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) will hold the fourth and fifth of a
series of five regional public hearings to be conducted under the auspices of
the Office of the Director, NIH, on "Programs for Support of Minorities in
Biomedical Research."  The purpose of the hearings is two-fold:
     
(1) to provide current information concerning the activities of the NIH by
describing in broad terms existing programs offered by NIH, and
     
(2) to solicit through public testimony the views of biomedical researchers,
university faculty and administrators, students, representatives of
professional societies, and other interested parties regarding the nature and
scope of programs to attract and support minorities in biomedical research.
     
The fourth hearing will be held on Sunday, September 24, 1989, from 10 a.m. to
4 p.m. in the Doubletree Suite Hotel, Phoenix Gateway Center, Phoenix,
Arizona, preceding the annual meeting of the Hispanic Association of Colleges
and Universities.  The fifth hearing will be held on October 9, 1989, from 9
a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Anchorage Hilton Hotel, Anchorage, Alaska, in
conjunction with the National Indian Education Association Annual Meeting.
     
Following presentations by senior NIH staff, a panel comprised of NIH program
administrators will spend the remainder of each day receiving testimony from
public witnesses.  Each witness will be limited to a maximum of ten minutes.
Attendance and the number of presentations will be limited to the time and
space available.  Consequently, all individuals wishing to attend or to
present a statement at either of these public hearings should notify, in
writing:
     
William H. Pitlick, Ph.D.
Executive Secretary
National Institutes of Health
Shannon Building, Room 252
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
     
Those planning to make a presentation should file a one-page summary of their
remarks with Dr. Pitlick by September 15, 1989.  A copy of the full text
should be submitted for the record at the time of the meeting.  Additional
information may be obtained by calling:
     
Ms. Loretta Beuchert
Office of Extramural Research
National Institutes of Health
Shannon Building, Room 252
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9743

GUIDELINES FOR CLINICAL TRIAL PLANNING GRANT
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755015, 0755000, 0715100
     
National Eye Institute
     
The National Eye Institute has recently developed guidelines for a Clinical
Trial Planning Grant (R21).  The objective of the Clinical Trial Planning
Grant is to support the development of a clinical trial research plan.  The
grant provides a mechanism for early peer review of the rationale and need for
the trial as well as support for the development of a detailed Manual of
Procedures.  An approved application will be considered for one year of
funding of up to $50,000 in direct costs.

     

     

     
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989 - Page 1
Applications may be submitted any time during the year.  Copies of the new
guidelines may be obtained by contacting:
     
Richard L. Mowery, Ph.D., Chief
Collaborative Clinical Research Branch
National Eye Institute
Building 31, Room 6A48
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5983

AVAILABILITY OF FISH OIL TEST MATERIALS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0780000, 0780017
     
National Institutes of Health
     
This notice supercedes the previous announcement published in the NIH Guide
for Grants and Contracts on July 14, 1989 (Vol. 18, No. 24).
     
SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
     
TEST MATERIALS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
     
  o  n-3 ethyl ester concentrate, prepared from menhaden oil, bulk
     packed or soft-gel encapsulated (80 percent n-3 fatty acids
     including EPA and DHA)
     
  o  Ethyl esters of olive oil (70 percent oleic), bulk packed or
     soft-gel encapsulated
     
  o  Deodorized menhaden oil, bulk packed or soft-gel encapsulated
     
  o  Commercial preparations of corn, olive, or safflower oil, soft-gel
     encapsulated only
     
PROCESSING AND SPECIFICATIONS OF BIOMEDICAL TEST MATERIALS
     
o  n-3 Ethyl Ester Concentrate
     
The n-3 ethyl ester concentrate is prepared from vacuum-deodorized menhaden
oil using transesterification, urea adduction and short-path distillation.
The concentrate contains approximately 80 percent n-3 fatty acid ethyl esters
(44 percent EPA, 24 percent DHA, 10-12 percent other n-3 fatty acid ethyl
esters), 3 percent C18 (other than n-3), 6 percent C16 and the remainder as
other esters.  It contains 0.2 mg/g TBHQ as antioxidant, 2 mg/g tocopherols
and 2.0 mg/g cholesterol.  The concentrate is available in 1 g soft-gel
capsules (100 capsules/bottle) or packaged in bulk in quantities suitable to
investigators' needs.
     
o Placebo Ethyl Esters
     
The ethyl esters of virgin olive oil are prepared by transesterification.  The
preparation contains approximately 70 percent oleic acid, 13 percent C16, and
15 percent C18 (<1 percent n-3) fatty acid ethyl esters.  It contains 0.2 mg/g
TBHQ as antioxidant and 2 mg/g tocopherols.  The preparation is available in 1
g soft-gel capsules (100 capsules/bottle) or packaged in bulk in quantities
suitable to investigators' needs.
     
o Deodorized Menhaden Oil
     
Deodorized menhaden oil is prepared from oil that has been winterized and
alkali refined; it is processed through a two-stage wiped-film evaporator to
remove cholesterol, volatile oxidation products and any traces of organic
contaminants.  The oil contains approximately 30 percent n-3 fatty acids in
the triglyceride form; 14 percent EPA, 8 percent DHA, 8 percent other n-3.  It
contains 0.2 mg/g TBHQ as antioxidant, 2 mg/g tocopherols and 2.0 mg/g
cholesterol.  The deodorized oil is available in 1 g soft-gel capsules (100
capsules/bottle) or is packaged in bulk quantities suitable to investigators
needs.  Special requests for antioxidant-free oil will be considered.
     
o Placebo Oils
     
Commercial preparations of corn, olive, and safflower oil have been soft-gel
encapsulated to serve as placebos for studies involving encapsulated menhaden
oil.  These oils contain 0.2 mg/g TBHQ as antioxidant and 2 mg/g tocopherols.
The major fatty acids for each oil are:  corn (58 percent 18:2n-6, 26 percent
18:1n-9), olive (17 percent 18:2n-6, 57 percent 18:1n-9), safflower (80
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989 - Page 2
percent 18:2n-6, 9 percent 18:1n-9).  They are available in 1 g soft-gel
capsules (100 capsules/bottle).  Although vegetable oils will not be supplied
in bulk form, investigators may request analysis of antioxidant and tocopherol
levels in vegetable oils that they purchase.
     
FISH OIL TEST MATERIALS PROGRAM
     
The Fish Oil Test Materials Program is administered by the Division of
Nutrition Research Coordination in the Office of Disease Prevention, NIH.  It
was established in 1986 through the cooperation of the National Institutes of
Health (NIH), the Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
(ADAMHA), and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/Department
of Commerce (NOAA/DOC).  This program has been designed to provide a
long-term, consistent supply of quality-assured/quality-controlled test
materials to researchers in order to facilitate the evaluation of the role
that omega-3 fatty acids play in health and disease.
     
Fish Oil Test Materials Advisory Committee:
     
A Fish Oil Test Materials Advisory Committee (FOTMAC) is cochaired by
scientific staff from ADAMHA and NIH and is composed of scientists
representing the funding agencies (NIH, ADAMHA), the research community,
Department of Commerce (DOC), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).  The
FOTMAC provides scientific advice to the DOC regarding the types of materials
needed by research scientists, shipping procedures for the materials, and
additional quality control and production issues.  The committee is advisory
to the Fish Oil Test Materials Program on general programmatic issues such as
future directions and has produced a manual on Good Laboratory Practices for
the handling of polyunsaturate materials.  In addition, the committee provided
guidance to DOC during the production of the Drug Master File submitted to the
FDA by the FOTMAC.  A manual on Analytical Methods for the Quality Assurance
of Fish Oil was produced by the DOC.
     
Fish Oil Test Materials Distribution Committee:
     
A Fish Oil Test Materials Distribution Committee (FOTMDC) is composed of NIH
and other Federal scientists that do not use these products.  The Distribution
committee processes the applications received from investigators and advises
the DOC of applications that have fulfilled the application process and makes
recommendations regarding the distribution of requested materials.
     
The awarded materials are provided to investigators free of charge.
Availability of materials are contingent on DOC/NOAA production capabilities.
When prioritization is necessary, the order will be:  1) NIH/ADAMHA funded, 2)
other government funded, 3) peer-reviewed, privately funded, 4) NIH/ADAMHA
approved, not funded, and 5) other.
     
To qualify to receive materials described in this announcement the applicant
must:  1) have peer-reviewed research indicating the need for the requested
materials, and 2) submit a correctly completed application form and a signed
waiver of liability.  The committee will not be responsible for assessing the
scientific merit of the application.  Regulations on human subjects and animal
research apply.  In accordance with federal regulations, an IND number will be
required for the use of these materials in human studies.  The FOTMAC has
established a drug master file at the FDA which includes manufacturing,
chemical composition and toxicological data relevant to these products.
Investigators using DOC/NOAA materials may reference this file in order to
expedite their IND requests.
     
Requests for materials of amounts greater than 500 kg of vacuum-deodorized
menhaden oil and/or 50 kg of n-3 ethyl ester concentrate should not be
submitted without prior discussion with the National Marine Fisheries Service
- Charleston Laboratory.  For further information contact Ms. Patricia Fair at
(803) 762-1200.
     
Test Materials Available in the Future:
     
Test materials and the relevant application process will be announced in the
NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts as new materials become available.
     
Other Information:
     
Additional information will be provided the investigator in the form of
complete quality assurance data for each lot of test material shipped, general
diet preparation information, and instructions for formulation of placebos
containing antioxidants balanced to the level in the test material.

     
                  Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989 - Page 3
INQUIRIES AND APPLICATIONS
     
Investigators may obtain further information and apply for available fish oil
test materials for relevant studies by requesting an application form from:
     
Ms. Melissa Workman
Program Assistant
Fish Oil Test Materials Program
Division of Nutrition Research Coordination
Building 31, Room 4B63
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-2323

APPLIED RESEARCH ETHICS NATIONAL ASSOCIATION - ANNUAL MEETING
     
P.T. 42; K.W. 1014004, 0755018, 1014003, 0783005
     
Applied Research Ethics National Association
     
On October 11, Applied Research Ethics National Association (ARENA) will host
its fourth annual meeting at the Park Plaza Hotel in Boston, Massachusetts.
This meeting will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and will feature a variety of
presentations addressing issues pertinent to both IRB and IACUC
administrators, including:  the problem of data sharing, including recent
requirements by pharmaceutical firms for data sharing prior to completion of
research; review and highlighting of the new FDA proposed regulations on
animal welfare.  All ARENA members are encouraged to submit abstracts of
papers for presentation at this meeting.  Deadline for consideration is August
31 and presentations will be limited to 10 minutes with 5 minutes for
questions.  Topics for papers should focus on issues of interest to other
ARENA members such as human or animal research, IRB or IACUC policies or
procedures, research office administration, etc.  Please direct abstracts and
questions to:
     
David Bernhardt
330 Holmecrest Road
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania  19046
Telephone:  (215) 456-7216

NOTICE OF MEETINGS - PUBLIC RESPONSIBILITY IN MEDICINE AND RESEARCH
     
P.T. 42; K.W. 0783010, 1014004, 0715008
     
Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research
     
Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R), a national
organization concerned with ethical issues in research and medicine, is
sponsoring two meetings in the Fall of 1989.  Both meetings will be held at
the Boston Park Plaza Hotel and Towers in Boston, Massachusetts.
     
The first conference, "The History and Current Status of IRBs:  A
Retrospective and Planner," will consider a range of regulatory, policy and
operational issues of concern to IRBs, including their regulation, AIDS
research, subject payment for research and issues involving scientific
misconduct.  This meeting will be held on October 12-13, 1989.
     
The second meeting, co-sponsored by PRIM&R and Tufts University School of
Medicine, is entitled, "People as Products:  Legal, Ethical and Social Issues
in Reproductive Technology and Other Procedures Involving the
Commercialization of Bodily Products."  This meeting will be held on November
6-7, 1989.
     
For complete programs or further information on both of these meetings, please
contact:
     
PRIM&R
132 Boylston Street
4th Floor
Boston, Massachusetts  02116
Telephone:  (617) 423-4112 or
                  423-1099

     

                  Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989 - Page 4
                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

MASTER AGREEMENT FOR BIRTH DEFECTS STUDIES
     
MASTER AGREEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT AVAILABLE:  MAA-NICHD-PRP-89-27
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0775020, 0715006, 0775025, 0755030
     
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
     
The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) is
planning to investigate the causes of adverse pregnancy outcomes which would
include congenital malformations and related problems by establishing a pool
of prequalified contractors to collaborate in these studies.  The Master
Agreement Holders must be capable of identifying malformed children and
appropriate control subjects within a defined geographical area.  This would
include being able to locate and interview families of these children and to
obtain other pertinent medical information from other sources.
     
The projects to be performed under this Master Agreement are not yet defined.
They will be primarily etiologic investigations in the area of birth defects.
It is anticipated that in general a case-control approach will be used to
evaluate the importance of potential etiologic factors.  When blood samples
are available, the case and control subjects will be compared on levels of
substances of interest.
     
This announcement is a new solicitation.  The issuance of the Master Agreement
Announcement (MAA) will be on or about August 31, 1989, and the proposals are
due by 4:00 pm (local time), October 30, 1989.  Those organizations desiring a
copy of the above MAA may send their written request with two self-addressed
mailing labels to:
     
Mrs. Lynn Salo
NICHD, OGC, CMS
Executive Plaza North Building, Room 515
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
     
All responsible sources may submit a proposal which will be considered.
     
This advertisement does not commit the Government to award a contract.

DATA CENTER FOR EPIDEMIOLOGICAL INVESTIGATIONS OF HIV
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  RFP-NIH-NIAID-DAIDS-90-09
     
P.T. 34, AA, II; K.W. 0715008, 0785055, 0413001, 0755018
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
     
The Division of AIDS (DAIDS), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious
Diseases, National Institutes of Health, is soliciting proposals from
organizations having the capabilities and facilities to operate a data center
with data management and analysis capability for the multicenter cohort study
of the vertical transmission of human immunodeficiency virus in women and the
natural history of the disease in a cohort of children.  Clinical, laboratory,
demographic and behavioral data collected in studies supported by the
Epidemiology Branch and in other clinical studies supported by the Division of
AIDS are essential to the mission of the Division of AIDS by providing natural
history data for the design and conduct of vaccine and clinical trials.
Hence, there is the further need that the data center possess the
scientific/technical resources to provide assistance and resources to the
staffs of the Epidemiology Branch and Biostatistics Research Branch in their
efforts to integrate the findings from various DAIDS-sponsored contracts to
meet needs in forecasting the epidemic and assessing the appropriateness of
proposed study designs for vaccine and clinical trials.
     
Specifically, the selected Contractor shall be responsible for the operation
and maintenance of a data center that services four clinical study sites.
This includes coordination and supervision of all aspects of data collection
activities, forms design, software development and modification, primary and
secondary analysis of data.  In addition, the selected Contractor shall
provide scientific/technical assistance to Program staff in the monitoring of
Program activities.

     
                  Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989 - Page 5
This is an announcement for an anticipated Request for Proposal (RFP).
RFP-NIH-NIAID-DAIDS-90-09 will be issued on or about August 28, 1989, with a
closing date tentatively set for October 17, 1989.
     
Requests for the RFP should be directed in writing to:
     
Jacqueline C. Holden
Contract Management Branch
Control Data Corp. Bldg., Room 214P, 6003 Executive Blvd.
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7119
     
To receive a copy of the RFP, please supply this office with two
self-addressed mailing labels.  All responsible sources may submit a proposal
which will be considered.
     
This advertisement does not commit the Government to award a contract.

BASIC CHEMISTRY IN SUPPORT OF AIDS-RELATED STUDIES
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  89-GM-01
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 1003006, 1003012, 0760035, 0760053, 0760060
     
National Institute of General Medical Sciences
     
Application Receipt Date:  December 1, 1989
     
The National Institute of General Medical Sciences announces that new funds
are available to support the development of chemical design strategies and
chemistry methodology with the potential to facilitate more targeted
AIDS-related studies.  This announcement is not intended to support studies of
biological efficacy or in vivo evaluation of any products derived from these
studies in basic chemistry.
     
The intent of this Request for Applications (RFA) is to support studies whose
focus is basic chemistry, but which have the potential to contribute to
AIDS-targeted studies.  The new knowledge to be gained should advance the
state-of-the-art for chemical design and methodology in support of targeted
anti-AIDS drug development and enable researchers to more quickly and
precisely intervene as new targets emerge.
     
Advances are sought in, but not limited to, the following areas:
     
  o  Linkage chemistry for the tethering of small molecules and
     prosthetics to natural macromolecules.
     
  o  Chiral synthesis of nucleosides, nucleotides, and oligonucleotides.
     
  o  Synthetic methodology for the construction of novel or difficultly
     accessible isosteres and transition-state analogs.
     
  o  Design and synthesis of new, selective DNA cleaving moieties.
     
  o  Novel approaches to achieving enzyme inhibition and to the design
     of protein probes.
     
  o  Peptide and oligonucleotide mimics.
     
Other areas with promise for innovation in chemical design and synthesis may
be considered where potential to contribute to the preparation of molecular
probes or drugs for AIDS-related studies can be established.  The intent of
this request is to elicit proposals to investigate original ideas and novel
concepts for research in areas of basic chemistry which can be applied to
anti-AIDS drug development.  It is anticipated that any biological testing
supported under this announcement will be limited to that necessary to
establish the chemical principles being investigated.
     
Support for this program will be through traditional research grants,
including regular project grants (R01) and FIRST awards (R29).  Collaborations
between groups strong in organic synthesis and those strong in molecular
design are welcomed, and applications submitted by collaborating investigators
from more than one institution can be supported by consortium arrangements.

     
                  Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989 - Page 6
Investigators from any institution, foreign or domestic, are eligible to apply
for this funding.
     
The total amount of support of grants under this RFA is contingent upon the
appropriation of funds for this purpose.  The number of awards will be
determined by the merit of the proposals and by their relevance to the program
goals, as well as by the availability of funds.  It is anticipated that in
fiscal year 1990 seven to ten grant awards will be allocated to the research
initiatives described in this RFA.
     
To receive the full RFA send two address labels to:
     
Dr. Michael Rogers
Program Administrator
Pharmacological Sciences Program
National Institute of General Medical Sciences
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 919
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7181

THE BIOCHEMISTRY OF FIBRINOLYSIS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  89-HL-16-B
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1003002, 0760035, 0790000
     
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
     
Application Receipt Date:  March 15, 1990
     
The Blood Diseases Branch of the Division of Blood Diseases and Resources,
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), announces the availability
of a Request for Applications (RFA) on the above subject.  Copies of the RFA
are currently available from staff of the NHLBI.  Awards will be made to
foreign institutions only for research of very unusual merit, need, and
promise.
     
This program will support basic research on the biochemical mechanisms that
result in fibrinolysis and thrombolysis with particular emphasis on the
thromboselectivity of plasminogen activators and their regulation by
plasminogen activator inhibitors.  Research elucidating the biochemical basis
of resistance of old thrombi towards thrombolytic agents and those thrombi
forming after thrombolytic therapy is also relevant to the goals and
objectives of this RFA.  This announcement may be of particular interest to
investigators with expertise in physical and structural biochemistry.
     
Support for this program will be through traditional
research grants, including regular project grants (R01)
and FIRST awards (R29).  Collaborations between groups
strong in organic synthesis and those strong in molecular
design are welcomed, and applications submitted by
collaborating investigators from more than one institution
can be supported by consortium arrangements.  Policies
that govern research grant programs of the NIH apply to
this program.
     
The total amount of support of grants under this RFA is
contingent upon the appropriation of funds for this
purpose.  The number of awards will be determined by the
merit of the proposals and by their relevance to the
program goals, as well as by the availability of funds.
It is anticipated that in fiscal year 1990 seven to ten
grant awards will be allocated to the research initiatives
described in this RFA.
     
Requests for copies of the RFA should be addressed to:
     
Diane L. Lucas, Ph.D.
Division of Blood Diseases and Resources
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 5A12
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5911

     
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989 - Page 7
PUBLIC HEALTH APPROACHES TO BREAST AND CERVIX SCREENING
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  89-CA-16
     
P.T. 34, II; K.W. 0715035, 0745020, 0730070
     
National Cancer Institute
     
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  October 1, 1989
     
Application Receipt Date:  December 11, 1989
     
The Division of Cancer Prevention and Control (DCPC) of the National Cancer
Institute (NCI) invites grant applications from a consortium of public health
agencies or institutions to develop, implement, and evaluate programs designed
to increase breast and cervical cancer screening of older, low income, low
education level and minority women.
     
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
The goal of this project is to develop, implement, and evaluate programs
designed to increase breast and cervical cancer screening of older, low
income, low education level and minority women.
     
The primary objectives of this research are to demonstrate how a consortium of
community agencies can:
     
1. Characterize utilization patterns for mammography, clinical
   breast examination, breast self-examination and cervical
   cytology screening in the target population through baseline
   surveys.  These data will establish frequency of screening,
   as well as assess barriers to utilization.
     
2. Design and pilot test interventions to recruit women in need
   of breast and cervical cancer screening regimens that can:
     
   o    be integrated with other health services used by these
        women
     
   o    affect the behavior of non-health agency clients.
     
3. Evaluate the effectiveness of specific interventions to
   reach the target population for breast and cervical cancer
   screening.
     
4. Assure compliance with follow-up recommendations for women
   with anything but completely normal mammograms (i.e.,
   indeterminate or suspicious findings) and smears (i.e.,
   further action recommended).
     
5. Describe prospectively the screening behavior of the
   targeted women in view of current NCI recommendations (i.e.,
   establish that women are coming back at recommended
   intervals for screening).
     
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
     
Grants-in-Aid may be awarded to profit and nonprofit organizations and
institutions, and governments and their agencies within the United States.
However, it should be noted that this Request for Applications (RFA) is
primarily targeted at demonstrating a consortium approach, involving public
agencies or institutions, such as health departments, community health centers
or public hospitals with established linkages to the target population (e.g.,
The Health Department may have experience with providing or contracting for
the health services, an Area Agency on Aging may have established networks
with elderly women, and the American Cancer Society may have experience with
providing public education campaigns).  This approach seeks to address the
problem in a coordinated fashion while taking advantage of the public agency's
role as noncompetitive collaborator, stimulator, convenor, and facilitator of
existing resources to increase mammography and Pap smear utilization in women
least likely to be screened.  The lead agency must demonstrate experience with
disease control, but does not necessarily have to be the direct provider of
the screening services.  In many communities, the lead agency is likely to be
the health department; however, other public agencies could fill this role.
Among the team of applicants or consortium, one institution must be proposed
as the lead institution to serve as the applicant and assume responsibility
for the conduct of the award.

                  Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989 - Page 8
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of Health
(NIH) grant-in-aid.  Applicants will be responsible for the planning,
direction, and execution of the proposed project.  Allowable direct costs for
the intervention will not include funds to pay for mammograms or Pap smears.
However, expenses incurred in developing and promoting the utilization of
these services, such as baseline and follow-up surveys, design of materials,
and public and professional education are considered allowable costs.  Except
as otherwise stated in this RFA, awards will be administered under PHS grants
policy as stated in the Public Health Service Grants Policy Statement, DHHS
Publication No. (OASH) 82-50,000, revised January 1, 1987.
     
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Approximately $1,000,000 in total costs
per year for five years will be committed to specifically fund applications
that are submitted in response to this RFA.  The total project period for
applications submitted in response to the present RFA should not exceed five
years.  The earliest feasible start date for the initial awards will be August
1, 1990.  Although this program is provided for in the financial plans of the
NCI, the award of grants pursuant to this RFA also is contingent upon the
availability of funds for this purpose.
     
INQUIRIES
     
Copies of the complete RFA and additional information may be obtained from:
     
Lawrence Bergner, MD, MPH
Program Director
Cancer Control Applications Branch
National Cancer Institute
EPN Room 233C
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8584

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 29, August 25, 1989 - Page 9