Subject: (Copy) NIH Guide Vol. 18, No. 37, October 20, 1989, Part 1 (final,R
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 89 10:54 EST

Paul,
   This is the second NIH document.  Please list as NIHGUIDE.102089.
     Thanks,
            Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
Subject: NIH Guide Vol. 18, No. 37, October 20, 1989, Part 1 (final,RFAs next)

     

     
     
Vol. 18, No. 37, October 20, 1989

                                   NOTICES

INTERACTIONS OF APPLICANTS WITH CONSULTANT REVIEWERS .......(84/114)......... 1
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
        ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, AND MENTAL HEALTH ADMINISTRATION

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

CLINICAL DENTAL RESEARCH CORE CENTERS (RFA) .......(120/261, 644/1077)....... 1
National Institute of Dental Research
Index:  DENTAL RESEARCH

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD FELLOWSHIPS IN LABORATORY ANIMAL
MEDICINE ....................................................(267/305)....... 3
Division of Research Resources
Index:  RESEARCH RESOURCES

NEUROSCIENCE RESEARCH ON DRUG ABUSE .......................(308/452)......... 3
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Index:  DRUG ABUSE

                                   ERRATUM

MINORITY HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT RESEARCH APPRENTICE PROGRAM (PA) ..(458/575).... 5
Division of Research Resources
Index:  RESEARCH RESOURCES

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
                                   NOTICES

INTERACTIONS OF APPLICANTS WITH CONSULTANT REVIEWERS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1014002, 1014006
     
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
     
Consultants assist the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Alcohol,
Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) by participating in the
peer review of grant applications and contracts proposals.  Throughout their
periods of service, consultants are continually reminded of the
confidentiality of the peer review process and the potential harm which may
result from their providing applicants with information concerning the review.
NIH/ADAMHA policy is very explicit in prohibiting consultants from discussing
review proceedings with applicants; such discussions are permitted ONLY
between the applicant and staff of the NIH and ADAMHA.
     
Several recent instances have been reported to staff in which applicants have
approached consultants either to challenge them concerning their role in the
review of applications and the recommendations of the peer review group, or to
solicit information and/or guidance from them concerning the reviews.
Applicants must understand that such contact on their part is totally
inappropriate and that NIH consultants would violate their assurances of
confidentiality were they to engage in such discussions with applicants.
     
It is important to the integrity of the peer review system and to the
interests of both applicants and consultants that there be strict adherence to
these policies.  Again, policy prohibits all such interactions between
applicant and consultant.  NIH and ADAMHA staff are prepared, and solely
empowered, to discuss the review process and the review of applications with
applicants.

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

CLINICAL DENTAL RESEARCH CORE CENTERS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-DE-1
     
P.T. 04; K.W. 0715148, 0765033, 0745020, 0745027, 0745070, 0710030, 0785035
     
National Institute of Dental Research
     
Application Receipt Date:  March 13, 1990
     
The National Institute of Dental Research (NIDR) invites applications for
Clinical Dental Research Core Centers (P30) to facilitate clinical research
relevant to the pathogenesis, diagnosis, early detection, prevention, control
and treatment of oral diseases, disorders, and/or dysfunctions.  The intent of
the Core Center Program is to provide the resources and facilities necessary
to develop and to conduct clinical research at the level of sophistication
necessary to expedite the translation of basic scientific knowledge into new
and better methods for improving the oral health of the nation.  This Request
for Applications (RFA) is for a single competition with a receipt date of
March 13, 1990.
     
BACKGROUND
     
Recent advances in biomedical research are revolutionizing our understanding
of cellular and molecular processes underlying the etiology and pathology of
oral diseases, dysfunction, and craniofacial malformations.  These advances
have improved our capacity to treat and prevent these conditions.  However,
the full benefit of these research advances remains to be explored.
Unfortunately, many dental teaching and research institutions lack the
technical resources to conduct clinical research at the level of
sophistication required.  Thus, the intent of the Clinical Research Core
Center grant is to expand and improve the clinical research capability and
potential of the Nation's dental schools and dental research institutions.
     
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
The objective of the Clinical Dental Research Core Center grant is to provide
an environment which will strengthen and increase productivity in clinical
research and generate new ideas through organized interdisciplinary
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 37, October 20, 1989 - Page 1
collaborative efforts.  The central focus is to enable, enhance and extend
clinical research being conducted in one or more of the areas of dental
research such as:  dental caries; nutrition; periodontal diseases; soft tissue
diseases (including oral manifestations of AIDS); salivary gland dysfunction;
malocclusion; craniofacial anomalies; oral-facial pain and oral sensory/motor
function; behavioral research; and restorative materials research.
     
The Research Core Center grant provides support for core resources and
facilities to coordinate the activities of individually-supported clinical
project investigators.  A minimum of three core units must be proposed and
approved for the viability of a proposed core center.  These must include an
administrative and biostatistics unit, unless a biostatistics unit already
exists at the applicant institution.  Other cores proposed should relate to
the planned research activity of the Center.  Examples of core units are:
     
  o  Administrative Core:  To insure that the core participants are
     provided with support services to meet the changing needs of their
     research.  This core provides funds for the Center director and
     administrative staff.  Costs associated with information transfer
     and outreach programs may also be requested.  This core must bring
     together an advisory panel of experts from outside the Center who
     will meet at least once a year to review and provide a written
     report on the progress of the Center.  This report must be included
     with each year's Center's annual progress report to the NIDR.
     Pilot and feasibility studies are administered through this core
     and come under the purview of the Center Director.
     
  o  Biostatistics, Data Management and Analysis Core:  To provide the
     staff and other resources needed to enhance programs of clinical
     research through the application of epidemiologic, sampling,
     biostatistics, and related support methodologies to clinical
     problems.  To strengthen biostatistician-clinical investigator
     interactions in the design and conduct of clinical research.
     
  o  Diagnostics Core:  To provide and develop methods and/or
     instrumentation to detect early signs, markers of and progression
     of disease or malformation and to monitor for efficacy of
     treatments.
     
  o  Laboratory Cores:  To provide resources and scientific expertise to
     carry out adjunct studies on clinical trial patients.  Animal
     resources may be included where appropriate.  Examples of such
     laboratory cores are:  Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology,
     Pharmacology, Nutrition, etc.
     
  o  Unique Clinical Facilities Core:  To provide resources to test
     interventions which cannot be carried out in conventional health
     care settings.  An example might be the use of mobile units for
     clinical studies involving the elderly and handicapped.
     
Cores may provide support for personnel, including the necessary expertise to
direct cores, equipment, supplies, services and facilities.  The grant also
will provide limited funds (up to 20 percent of total Center costs) for pilot
and feasibility studies.  The goals of the pilot and feasibility studies are
to provide start-up funds for new projects by new staff members, to train
young investigators under the direction of clinical scientists and to
encourage established investigators to utilize the newer biomedical and
behavioral techniques in addressing areas of oral health concerns.  The
Research Core Center grant does not provide direct funding for ongoing
research projects as such; these are to be funded through other sources and
support mechanisms (e.g., individual research project grants).  All research
projects should be highly relevant to the overall goals of the NIDR and of the
Clinical Dental Research Core Center grant.
     
Projects concerning oral health or disease as related to minorities, women and
the elderly and to populations in foreign countries which present special
research opportunities (via international collaboration) are encouraged.
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
This competition is open to domestic institutions.  The applicant institution
should have ongoing clinical research projects or the potential to develop
clinical research projects which will utilize the shared resources and
facilities (core units) that are supported by the core grant.
     
The overall research plan must be relevant to the goals of the NIDR and the
Clinical Dental Research Core Center.  The applicant institution must
demonstrate a strong commitment to the Center's success.
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 37, October 20, 1989 - Page 2
FUNDING MECHANISM
     
The Centers will be supported by Center Core Grants (P30) for a period of five
years, commencing as early as September 1, 1990.  Applicants may request up to
$500,000 in direct costs for the first year.  It is anticipated that a minimum
of two awards will be made, if a sufficient number of high quality
applications are received.  No more than one Core Center grant will be made at
any one institution.
     
STAFF CONTACT
     
Applications should be prepared and submitted in accordance with the
objectives and requirements described in the full RFA, available from:
     
Joseph E. Ciardi, Ph.D.
Program Administrator
Extramural Program
National Institute of Dental Research
Westwood Building, Room 505
Bethesda, Maryland  20892-4500
Telephone:  (301) 496-7884

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD FELLOWSHIPS IN LABORATORY ANIMAL MEDICINE
     
P.T. 22; K.W. 0720005, 0201058, 0755030, 0765035, 0745020, 0795003
     
Division of Research Resources
     
Application Receipt Dates:  January 10, May 10, and September 10
     
The Animal Resources Program (ARP), Division of Research Resources (DRR),
solicits applications for individual National Research Service Awards (NRSA)
for training in research related to laboratory animal medicine.  Individuals
must hold a D.V.M. or Ph.D. degree at the time of the award.  The applicant
must be interested in working in the field of laboratory animal medicine and
the proposed training must focus on some topic that will benefit laboratory
animals.  Projects usually focus on some aspect of laboratory animal disease,
etiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis or control.  The fellowship may be part
of a research degree program.  Receipt dates are January 10, May 10 and
September 10.  The January 10 receipt date is recommended with potential
funding starting during the summer months.  A more detailed description of
NRSAs for Individual Postdoctoral Fellows can be obtained from:
     
Division of Research Grants
Office of Grants Inquiries
5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 449
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7441
     
Specific information related to Fellowships in Laboratory Medicine can be
obtained from:
     
Director
Laboratory Animal Sciences Program
Animal Resources Program Branch
Division of Research Resources
National Institutes of Health
5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 853
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5175

NEUROSCIENCE RESEARCH ON DRUG ABUSE
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002030, 0404009, 0705055, 0760075, 0414005, 0404000, 0785115
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
PURPOSE
     
The purpose of this announcement is to encourage and stimulate investigator
interest in broad areas of neuroscience research relevant to the problem of
drug abuse.  Many research tools are now available to allow for major advances
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 37, October 20, 1989 - Page 3
in understanding the neurobiology of drug abuse to determine the effects of
drugs on the structure and function of the nervous system.  These include new
histochemical and autoradiographic procedures, light and electron microscopic
analysis, imaging and analytic techniques applicable to living tissue (e.g.,
PET, MRI), and various neurophysiological and neuropharmacological techniques,
especially those monitoring neural processes during ongoing behavior (e.g.,
single-cell electrophysiology, in vivo microdialysis and voltammetry, evoked
potentials, EEG).  As a final part of this initiative, The National Institute
on Drug Abuse (NIDA) expects that an increased understanding of the
relationship between brain anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology and drug
abuse behaviors will increase the capacity to design appropriate therapeutic
pharmaceuticals void of abuse liability and its consequences, and develop drug
therapies for correcting neurochemical imbalances created by the abuse of
drugs.  Additionally, investigations into the neural basis of drug seeking
should identify those neurobiological factors that make an individual
vulnerable to the abuse of drugs.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
     
The neuroscience program of the NIDA's Division of Preclinical Research
encourages investigations into the basic mechanisms underlying the action of
abused drugs and substances on the central nervous system as well as research
leading to the development of drugs that potentially may be used on the
relationship between drug-receptor interactions or neurochemical alterations
and consequences of drug usage in terms of behavioral processes is
specifically encouraged.  Areas of particular interest include the following:
     
(1)  Brain Reward Mechanisms in Drug Abuse
(2)  Neuropsychopharmacology of Abused Drugs
(3)  Anabolic Steroid Abuse
(4)  Drug-Induced Neurotoxicity
(6)  Developmental Neurobiology
(7)  Drug Effects on Cognitive Processes
(8)  Drug Effects on Sensory Processes
(9)  Blood-Brain Barrier Studies
(l0) Clinical Neuroscience
     
Support can be obtained in the form of R01 (Research Project Grants), R03
(Small Grants), R13 (Research Conference Grants), and R29 (First Independent
Research Support and Transition Awards).
     
NIMH and various NIH Institutes have specific programs in the neurosciences.
Grant applications will be assigned to the appropriate Institute based upon
existing programmatic guidelines.
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
Applications may be submitted by public or private nonprofit or for-profit
organizations such as universities, colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units
of State or local governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal
government.  Women and minority investigators are encouraged to apply.
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND RECEIPT SCHEDULE
     
State and local government agencies may use form PHS 5161-1 (rev.  11/88).
All other applicants should use the research grant application from PHS 398
(rev.  10/88).  The title of this announcement "NEUROSCIENCE RESEARCH ON DRUG
ABUSE" should be typed in item number 2 on the face page of the PHS 398
application form or in item 9 on the PHS 5161-1.
     
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may be
obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major research facilities.
If such a source is not available, the following office may be contacted for
the necessary application material:  Grants Management Branch, NIDA, Parklawn
Building, Room 10-25, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, Maryland 20857.
     
Applications received under this announcement will be assigned to an initial
review group (IRG) in accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.
The IRGs, consisting primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical
experts, will review the applications for scientific and technical merit.
Notification of the review recommendations will be sent to the applicant after
the initial review.
     
Applications will receive a second-level review by an appropriate National
Advisory Council whose review may be based on policy as well as scientific
merit considerations.  Only applications recommended for approval by the
advisory council may be considered for funding.
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 37, October 20, 1989 - Page 4
The signed original and six (6) permanent, legible copies of the completed
application (original and two copies, if using PHS 5161-1) should be sent to:
     
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland  20892**
     
Receipt of         Initial           Advisory Council    Earliest
Applications       Review               Review          Start Date
     
February 1         June/July            Sept/Oct         December 1
June 1             Oct/Nov              Jan/Feb          April 1
October 1          Feb/March            May/June         July 1
     
Applications submitted in response to this Announcement are not subject to the
intergovernment review requirements of Executive Order 12372, as implemented
through Department of Health and Human Services regulations at 45 CFR Part 100
and are not subject to Health Systems Agency review.
     
REVIEW CRITERIA
     
Criteria for scientific/technical merit review of regular research grant
applications will include the following:  significance and originality from a
scientific and technical standpoint of the goals of the proposed research;
adequacy of the methodology proposed to carry out the research; qualifications
of the Principal Investigator and other key research personnel; availability
of adequate facilities, other resources, and collaborative arrangements
necessary for the research, appropriateness of budget estimates for the
proposed research activities, and adequacy of provisions for the protection of
human subjects and welfare of animals subjects as applicable.
     
FURTHER INFORMATION
     
Further information and consultation on program requirements relevant to
neuroscience research inquiries can be obtained from:
     
Dr. Roger Brown
Neuroscience Research Branch
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Parklawn Building, Room 10A-31
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6975
     
FOOTNOTE:  This program is described in the catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 13.279.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of Section
301 of the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42 USC 241) and administered
in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy Statement and Federal regulations at
42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review.

                                   ERRATUM

MINORITY HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT RESEARCH APPRENTICE PROGRAM
     
P.T. 34, FF; K.W. 0710030, 1014006
     
Division of Research Resources
     
Application Receipt Date:  December 1, 1989
     
This Program Announcement was previously published in the NIH Guide for Grants
and Contracts on September 22, 1989, (Vol.  18, No. 33) but contained
inadvertent errors in the sections on ELIGIBILITY and APPLICATION.  The
corrected announcement is repeated below in its entirety.
     
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES
     
The Division of Research Resources (DRR), National Institutes of Health (NIH),
currently plans to continue the Minority High School Student Research
Apprentice Program in 1990.

     
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 37, October 20, 1989 - Page 5
The purpose of the program is to provide minority high school students with a
meaningful experience in various aspects of health-related research in order
to stimulate their interest in careers in science.
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
Eligible institutions are those that were awarded grants during the latest
complete Federal Fiscal Year 1989 from either the Biomedical Research Support
Grant (BRSG) Program or the Minority Biomedical Research Support (MBRS)
Program.  Only one application for the Apprentice Program can be submitted by
a component of an institution that is the recipient of both the BRSG and MBRS
awards.
     
Students eligible for support under this program are those who:  (1) identify
themselves as minority (i.e., Black, Hispanic, American Indian, Alaskan
Native, Pacific Islander, or Asian); (2) are U.S. citizens or have a permanent
visa; and (3) are enrolled in high school during the 1989-90 academic year.
(Students who will graduate from high school in 1990 are eligible, as are
students who participated in a previous year - provided they are still
enrolled at the high school level.)
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
The mechanism of support for this program will be the NIH grant-in-aid (SO3).
Support will be provided at a level of $1,500 for each apprentice position
allocated.  No indirect costs will be paid.  Direct support to the apprentice
must be as salary; stipends are not allowed.  Within the $1,500 per student
allocation, funds may also be utilized for supplies, extending the research
experience through the school year, or if adequate funds exist, for an
additional apprentice.  However, funds from these grants may only be used for
the costs of the apprentice program.  The Program Director is responsible for
recruitment and selection of the apprentices and assignment of each to an
investigator.  Recruitment and selection of students should emphasize factors
of the students' motivation, ability, scholastic aptitude and accomplishments.
In addition, consideration should be given to science teachers'
recommendations and, where possible, the degree of parental commitment.
Assignments should be made to investigators involved in health-related
research who are committed to developing in the high school student both
understanding of the research in which they participate and the technical
skills needed.  Awards will be for one year.
     
APPLICATION
     
Eligible institutions should submit an application consisting of no more than:
     
1.  A one-page letter stating the number of student positions requested, plus
     
2.  An original and two signed and completed copies of the Grant Application
Form, PHS 398 (Rev.  10/88) face page and checklist only.
     
Mark the "YES" box in item 2 and indicate the announcement title as "Minority
High School Student Research Apprentice Program."
     
Mark items numbered 4, 5, 7, 8b, 10 and 14 as Not applicable (N.A.). Complete
item 8a with the total dollar amount of your request, which is the sum of the
number of student positions requested times $1,500 per student.
     
The original and one copy of the signed Program Director's report and each
student report should be submitted with the renewal application due December 1
annually in order that the data contained in these reports can be used by DRR
to decide about policies and future funding for the Minority High School
Student Research Apprentice Program.  These reports should be submitted by
December 1 even if renewal support is not requested.
     
Furthermore, all reports including the Financial Status Report must be
submitted to the NIH by the grantee institution no later than May 31, 1990,
unless an extension of the budget period end date has been authorized in
writing.
     
Please Note:  Limited funds and increased requests for such student positions
may restrict the final allocations by DRR to three or four students per
eligible applicant institution.  Upon recommendation of the National Advisory
Research Resources Council, DRR will give preference in making awards to those
institutions that can support a summer program having a "critical mass" of at
least five or six students using institutional as well as DRR funds.

     
     
                  Vol. 18, No. 37, October 20, 1989 - Page 6
The applications should be submitted to:
     
Biomedical Research Support Program
Division of Research Resources
National Institutes of Health
5333 Westbard Avenue
Westwood Building, Room 10A11
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
     
Inquiries can be made of Dr. Marjorie A. Tingle at the above indicated address
or by calling (301) 496-6743.
     
The firm deadline for receipt of applications is December 1, 1989.  Awards
will be effective March 1, 1990, contingent upon availability of appropriated
funds.

**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:
     
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

                  Vol. 18, No. 37, October 20, 1989 - Page 7