Subject: (Copy) NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 14:02 EST

Good Afternoon Paul,
    The latest NIH Guide coming to you today.  Please post this
to the NIH Listserver as:
      NIHGUIDE.112390
   Thanks.
          Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 15 pages (1200 lines)
X-comment: RFAs described:  HD-91-03, HL-91-01-H, RR-91-01

 

 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990

                                   NOTICES

NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY SYNDROME
RESEARCH LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM ...................(84/307)................. 1
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

NOTICE OF MEETING .................................(310/340)................ 3
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

STUDIES OF CHEMICAL DISPOSITION IN MAMMALS (RFP) ..(346/383)................ 4
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Index:  ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES

POPULATION RESEARCH CENTERS (RFA HD-91-03) ......(386/436, 1204/1370)....... 4
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Index:  CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT

MECHANISMS OF HYPERTENSION IN BLACK MEN AND WOMEN (RFA HL-91-01-H) ......... 5
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute        (439/490)
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD

DEVELOPING AND IMPROVING INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCES (RFA RR-91-01) ..... 6
National Center for Research Resources           (493/595)
Index:  RESEARCH RESOURCES

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

ADAMHA SMALL GRANT PROGRAM (PA-91-08) ...........(601/906).................. 7
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
Index:  ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, MENTAL HEALTH

RESEARCH ON LOW BACK PAIN (PA-91-09) ............(909/1058).................11
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  ARTHRITIS, MUSCULOSKELETAL DISEASES, SKIN DISEASES,
        NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE

BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH SUPPORT GRANT APPLICATIONS FOR FISCAL YEAR 1991
(PA-91-10) ......................................(1061/1135)................13
National Center for Research Resources
Index:  RESEARCH RESOURCES

                                    ERRATA

BEHAVIORAL AND NEURAL APPROACHES TO COGNITION IN MENTAL HEALTH AND
MENTAL DISORDERS (PA-91-03) .....................(1141/1183)................14
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH

 

 
                                   NOTICES

NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY SYNDROME RESEARCH LOAN
REPAYMENT PROGRAM
 
P.T. 23; K.W. 0715008
 
National Institutes of Health
 
Application Receipt Date:  January 22, 1991
 
This notice is a republication, with minor modifications, of a December 1,
1989 (Vol. 18, No. 43), issuance on this subject.  It is being reissued to
emphasize its availability.
 
SUMMARY:  Approved by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) on June 15,
1990, under the requirements of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1980, the
National Institutes of Health (NIH) announces the availability of educational
loan repayment under the National Institutes of Health Acquired
Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) Research Loan Repayment Program (Program).
The Program, which is authorized by section 487A of the Public Health Service
(PHS) Act (42 U.S.C. 288-1), as amended by section 634 of the Health Omnibus
Programs Extension of 1988 (Pub. L. 100-607), provides for the repayment of a
sizeable portion of the accumulated educational loan debt of health
professionals who agree to conduct, as employees of the NIH, research with
respect to AIDS.  The Program provides for repayment of up to $20,000 of the
principal and interest of the educational loans of such health professionals
for each year of obligated service.  The Program is limited to health
professionals who have a substantial amount of educational loan debt relative
to income, and who were NOT employed by the NIH during the period of November
4, 1987 through November 3, 1988.  The purpose of the Program is to increase
the number of persons conducting AIDS research at the NIH.  The NIH, through
this notice, invites health professionals interested in engaging in AIDS
research to apply for participation in the NIH AIDS Research Loan Repayment
Program.
 
ADDRESS:  Information regarding the Program may be obtained by calling or
writing:
 
Mr. Marc Horowitz, J.D.
Director, NIH AIDS Research Loan Repayment Program
Office of AIDS Research
National Institutes of Health
Claude Denson Pepper Building 31, Room 3B19
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:   (301) 402-0192
 
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:  On November 4, 1988, the United States Congress
enacted Public Law 100-607, the "Health Omnibus Programs Extension of 1988",
which, in part, directs the NIH to establish a program of educational loan
repayment to attract additional investigators into AIDS research.  The Program
provides for the repayment of a sizeable portion of the accumulated
educational loan debt of health professionals who are employed by the NIH
after November 4, 1988, to engage in AIDS research.
 
The Program pays directly to participants' lenders a maximum of $20,000 a year
toward their qualifying educational debt, during a minimum two (2) year
service period.  The actual loan repayment is based, in part, on the
availability of funding, as well as the participant's qualifying debt.  Such
payments to lenders are considered income for Program participants.  Upon
request, and in unusual circumstances, the Program will partially reimburse
participants a "reasonable amount", not to exceed 20 percent of the annual
amount of the loans being repaid, of the Federal, State or local tax liability
incurred as a result of loan repayments.  Benefits are in addition to annual
basic pay or stipend.
 
The NIH will repay lenders for the principal, interest, and related expenses
(such as the required insurance premiums on the unpaid balances of some loans)
of qualified Government (Federal, State, and local) and commercial educational
loans obtained by participants for:  (1) undergraduate, graduate, and health
professional school tuition expenses; (2) other reasonable educational
expenses required by the school(s) attended, including fees, books, supplies,
educational equipment and materials, and laboratory expenses; and (3)
reasonable living expenses, including the cost of room and board,
transportation, and commuting costs.

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 1
The following loans are NOT repayable under the Program:  (1) loans not
obtained from a Government entity or commercial lending institution, such as
loans from friends and relatives; (2) loans for which contemporaneous
documentation is not available; and (3) loans, or those portions of loans,
obtained for educational or living expenses that exceed the "reasonable" level
as determined by the standard school budget for the year in which the loan was
made and are not judged by the NIH to be reasonable based on appropriate
contemporaneous documentation.  Individuals, with loans in default or loans
not current in payment schedule, may still apply for consideration for the
Program.  However, repayments will only be made for loans with current payment
status.
 
In addition, for educational loans that contain provisions for loan
forgiveness in exchange for a future service obligation, the NIH will NOT
repay loans and/or penalties that may result from failure to serve as required
under the conditions of such loans.  This includes, but is not limited to:
(1) The Physicians Shortage Area Scholarship Program; (2) The Public Health
and National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program; (3) The Armed Forces
(Army, Navy, or Air Force) Health Professions Scholarship Programs; and (4)
The Indian Health Service Scholarship Program.  Any individual who owes an
obligation for health professional service to the Federal Government or a
State or other entity under an agreement with such Federal, State, or other
entity is ineligible for the Program unless such obligation will be completely
satisfied prior to the beginning of service, or is deferred during the period
of service under the Program.
 
Finally, payments will NOT be made under the Program for loans that
participants have already repaid.
 
In return for the repayment of their educational loans, participants must
agree to:  (1) engage PRIMARILY in AIDS research as employees of the NIH for a
minimum period of two (2) years; (2) make payments to lenders on their own
behalf for periods of Leave Without Pay; and (3) pay monetary damages as
required for breach of the 2-year service obligation.  Applicants must submit
a signed contract, prepared by the NIH, containing this service agreement at
the time they apply for consideration under the Program.  Substantial monetary
penalties will be imposed for breach of contract.
 
AIDS research includes such activities as studies of the human
immunodeficiency virus (HIV), opportunistic agents, epidemiology, the
pathophysiology of AIDS infection, the development of models of AIDS
infection, cofactors predisposing to acquiring HIV infection, and the
development of prophylactic and therapeutic regimens.  More specifically, the
following research activities are included:  (1) studies of HIV and related
retroviruses; (2) studies of the mechanism(s) by which HIV and related
retroviruses establish infection and infect host cells; (3) studies of the
mechanism(s) by which HIV and related retroviruses cause disease, including
studies of the immune deficiency induced by HIV and related retroviruses; (4)
studies of the pathophysiology of host response to HIV infection; (5) studies
of in vivo or in vitro models of human HIV infection; (6) epidemiological
studies of HIV and related retrovirus infection; (7) clinical trials involving
prophylaxis or therapy for HIV infection or its sequelae; (8) preclinical
studies aimed at the development of therapy for or prevention of HIV infection
and the immunodeficiency caused by HIV infection; (9) cofactors predisposing
to acquiring HIV infection; (10) basic studies and clinical trials involving
vaccines or other immunological or chemotherapeutic interventions for the
prevention of HIV infection; and (11) basic studies into the transmission of
HIV involving high-risk behaviors and research concerning the interruption of
transmission by behavioral change and pharmacologic intervention.
 
AIDS researchers include scientists who are intellectually engaged in the
process of providing scientific direction and guidance in programs of original
AIDS research, specifically epidemiologists, statisticians, and others who are
involved in the design and conduct of research studies.  The duties of such
scientists may include the generation and design of studies; the collation and
analysis of data; and/or the preparation and publication, as author or
co-author, of studies in peer-reviewed journals.  AIDS researchers also
include physicians who are providing care for HIV-infected individuals who are
subjects of HIV-related research.
 
Because the Program is designed for health professionals who have not yet
repaid their educational loan debt, it is anticipated that most participants
will still be in the beginning stages of their careers.  Consequently, it is
expected that most participants will be appointed as Clinical Associates
(under the Commissioned Corps or service fellowship programs), or as Staff or
Senior Staff Fellows and Visiting Associates.  Participants who are more
senior may be employed as NIH Special Experts, appointed in the competitive
Civil Service or appointed as Commissioned Officers in the Commissioned Corps.
 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 2
Initial contracts will be executed to cover a two (2) year service period.  At
the conclusion of this initial contract, participants may re-apply and be
considered for a one (1) year continuation contract.  Continuation contracts
are based upon the same review criteria as the initial two (2) year contract,
and may be approved on a year-to-year basis, contingent upon the appropriation
and availability of funds.
 
Consideration for the Program is contingent, in part, upon employment with the
NIH.  Candidates many not be recommended for loan repayment by their
Institute, Center, or Division (ICD) until a firm employment commitment has
been made by their ICD Personnel Office.  Eligibility for Program
participation may be effective with the Entrance on Duty date.  ICD Scientific
Program Directors recommend applicants, with concurrence of the ICD Directors.
Applications are then reviewed by the AIDS Research Loan Repayment Advisory
Committee (LRAC), which ranks and approves or disapproves ICD recommended
applicants based, in part, on the appropriateness of the research assignment
to AIDS research, as well as the scientific merit of the research.  The award
of funds is contingent upon the availability of funds appropriated for the NIH
by the Congress of the United States.
 
Under the Program, payments will be made directly to lenders on a quarterly
basis at the completion of each quarter of the participants' satisfactory
service.
 
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
 
Specific eligibility criteria with regard to participation in the NIH AIDS
Research Loan Repayment Program include the following:
 
(1) Participants must have a Ph.D., M.D., D.O., D.D.S., D.M.D., D.V.M., or
equivalent degree.
 
(2) Participants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
 
(3) Participants must have educational debt in excess of 20 percent of their
annual basic pay or stipend at entrance on duty, resulting from governmental
or commercial loans obtained to support their undergraduate and/or graduate
education.
 
(4) Individuals employed by the NIH during the period November 4, 1987 through
November 3, 1988 are INELIGIBLE.
 
(5) Participants may be appointed under a temporary or permanent employment
mechanism, so long as their employment has the potential to last a minimum of
two (2) years.
 
(6) Individuals with existing service obligations to Federal, State, or other
entities will NOT be considered for the Program UNLESS and UNTIL the existing
service obligation is discharged.
 
(7) Applicants will NOT be excluded from consideration under the Program on
the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, handicap, age, national
origin, or political affiliation.
 
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM INFORMATION
 
This Program is not subject to the provisions of Executive Order 12372,
Intergovernmental Review of Federal Programs.
 
This Program was granted OMB clearance on June 15, 1990, under the
requirements of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1980, and has been designated
OMB No. 0925-0361.
 
The Office of AIDS Research, NIH, responsible for the administration of the
Program, will establish periodic deadline dates for the receipt of
applications.  January 22, 1991 is the next deadline date for the review of
ICD-endorsed applications.

NOTICE OF MEETING
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 0715008, 0715032, 0715085
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
A meeting of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) investigators supported in the
Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition and in the Division of Kidney and
Urologic and Hematologic Diseases of the National Institute of Diabetes and
 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 3
Digestive and Kidney Diseases is scheduled for November 30, 1990, at the NIH
campus in Bethesda, Maryland.  The purpose of the meeting is to have
investigators report on the status of their HIV research programs.  The
meeting is open on a space-available basis.
 
For further information contact:
 
Dr. Ralph L. Bain
HIV Program Director
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Federal Building, Room 102
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
or
 
Dr. Frank Hamilton
Gastrointestinal Immunology Program Director
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 3A18
Bethesda, MD  20892

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

STUDIES OF CHEMICAL DISPOSITION IN MAMMALS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-ES-91-01
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1007009, 0710100, 0765020
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
 
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), National
Institutes of Health (NIH), is soliciting proposals from offerors having the
capability to conduct studies of chemical disposition in mammals.  The
objective of this project is to procure detailed chemical disposition data
from a number of studies of selected environmental contaminants or model
compounds per year.  Most of these studies will be required in laboratory rats
(Fischer 344); however, some studies may be required in other laboratory
animals (rodents, dogs, or primates).  Most studies will address the
disposition of organic chemicals or environmental contaminants; however,
studies of inorganic compounds may also be required.  Individual studies may
vary in complexity from preliminary investigations of chemical absorption to
detailed studies of all phases of chemical disposition metabolism and
toxicokinetics.  The Government estimates that the project will require
approximately 1.9 professional person years and 5.78 technical person years of
effort per contract year.  Requests must reference RFP No. NIH-ES-91-01 and
must be directed to the office listed below.  All responsible sources may
submit a proposal that shall be considered by the Agency.  The RFP will be
released on or about November 15, 1990, and proposals due to be received
January 15, 1991.  The Institute plans to make two awards from this
solicitation.
 
Requests should reference RFP NIH-ES-91-01 and should be forwarded to:
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Contracts and Procurement Management Branch, OM
ATTN:  Mr. Donald Gula, Contract Specialist
79 T.W. Alexander Drive, 4401 Research Commons Building
P.O. Box 12874
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
Telephone:  (919) 541-7893

POPULATION RESEARCH CENTERS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HD-91-03
 
P.T. 04; K.W. 0710030, 0413000, 0413001
 
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  April 1, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  August 1, 1991
 
BACKGROUND INFORMATION

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 4
The Demographic and Behavioral Sciences Branch (DBSB), Center For Population
Research (CPR), National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
(NICHD), invites applications for Population Research Centers using the P30
core center grant mechanism.  DBSB supports a fixed number of P30 Population
Research Centers that are given a commitment of five years of support,
renewable at five-year intervals.  When a center applies for renewal, NICHD
issues a Request for Applications (RFA) inviting competition for the
application.  There will be two currently funded centers applying for renewal
in FY92, and this RFA invites competition for these grants.  P30 core center
grant applications request support for core services and facilities supporting
a large number of existing research grants that involve any aspect of research
currently supported by DBSB.  A grant for a population research center must be
predicated on the existence of a substantial number of research grants that
are funded by outside sources and will be active on the projected starting
date of the grant, July 1, 1992.  The portfolio of research grants must
include at least one NIH and two other federally funded grants.  These grants
must be active users of the core facilities and services proposed in the
application and each core must service at least three federally funded
projects, one of which must be DBSB, NICHD supported.  Applications proposing
new centers must not request more than $400,000 in first year, direct cost
support and existing centers must not request more than 120 percent of the
Council-approved amount in the last budget year of their current grant.
Because population research centers are complex entities, it is strongly
recommended that interested applicants contact DBSB for consultation regarding
the centers program.  An optional letter of intent is due on April 1, 1991.
 
For further information and a copy of an expanded RFA and detailed "P30 CENTER
CORE GRANT GUIDELINES", contact:
 
V. Jeffery Evans, PhD, JD
Demographic and Behavioral Sciences Branch
Center For Population Research, NICHD
Executive Plaza North Building, Room 611
6130 Executive Boulevard
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1174

MECHANISMS OF HYPERTENSION IN BLACK MEN AND WOMEN
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HL-91-01-H
 
P.T. 34, FC; K.W. 0715115,0755030, 1002019, 1002004, 1002008, 1002030, 0785025
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
Application Receipt Date:  April 8, 1991
 
The Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases, National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Institute (NHLBI), announces the availability of a Request for Applications
(RFA) on the above subject.  The purpose of this RFA is to stimulate studies
to elucidate specific mechanisms underlying the excessive prevalence of
hypertension in blacks, and to delineate mechanisms that direct the
pathogenesis of hypertension in blacks.  This RFA also seeks to encourage
investigations that will examine gender-related mechanisms associated with the
development of hypertension in blacks.  Due to the multiple dimensions of the
disease, a variety of disciplines and approaches are encouraged, such as
genetic linkage analysis, molecular biology, biochemistry, physiology,
neurobiology, pharmacology, cell biology, cardiology, and nephrology.
 
Investigators should be aware that NIH requires applicants to give added
attention, where feasible and appropriate, to the inclusion of women in study
populations.  Gender differences must be noted and analyzed whenever possible.
If women are not included in a given study, a clear reason for their exclusion
must be provided.  Merely including an arbitrary number of women participants
in a given study is insufficient to guarantee generalization of results.
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the traditional, individual
research grant.  Although approximately $1.5 million in total costs for this
program is included in the financial plans for fiscal year 1991, award of
grants pursuant to this RFA is contingent upon receipt of funds for this
purpose.  It is anticipated that 4 to 6 grants will be awarded under this
program.
 
Inquiries regarding this program and requests for the complete RFA document
should be addressed to:

 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 5
Stephen C. Mockrin, Ph.D.
Chief
Hypertension and Kidney Diseases Branch
Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 4C10
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1857
Fax:  (301) 496-9882

DEVELOPING AND IMPROVING INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCES
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  RR-91-01
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002002, 1014006
 
National Center for Research Resources
 
Application Receipt Date:  February 12, 1991
 
INTRODUCTION
 
The Animal Resources Program (ARP) of the National Center for Research
Resources (NCRR), National Institutes of Health (NIH), assists institutions in
developing and improving animal resources for biomedical research and research
training through the award of research and resource grants.  This document
relates to institutional animal resource improvement projects.  These projects
will be supported with funds anticipated to be made available to the
Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) in Fiscal Year 1991 for this
activity.
 
This is a reissuance of RFA RR-90-02, which was originally published in the
NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts (Volume 19, Number 18, May 4, 1990, and
clarified in Volume 19, Number 21, June 8, 1990).  A related RFA, "Animal
Facility Improvements for Small Research Programs," RR-90-03 was published in
the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts on August 14, 1990, Vol. 19, No. 31.
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
Animal resource improvement grants are awarded to assist biomedical research
and educational institutions in upgrading their animal facilities and in
developing administratively centralized programs of animal care.  Another
major objective is to enable institutions to comply with the USDA Animal
Welfare Act and DHHS policies related to the care and use of laboratory
animals.  Requests should describe a discrete project.  If this project is
part of a larger renovation plan, the larger plan can be described in the body
of the grant.  Requests are limited to alterations and renovations (A&R) to
improve laboratory animal facilities and major resource equipment related to
the improvement.  Both the need for resource improvements and a sound plan to
bring the entire animal resource up to required standards must be
demonstrated.
 
SUPPORT AND ELIGIBILITY
 
NCRR anticipates that $9.4 million may be available to support animal resource
improvement grants in Fiscal Year 1991.  It is anticipated that approximately
40 grant awards will be made.  The number and specific amounts of these awards
will depend on the merit and scope of the applications received and the
availability of funds.  Awards will be made for a project period of one year.
All policies and requirements that govern PHS grant programs will apply.
 
Any domestic public or private institution, organization, or association with
one or more research projects supported by the Public Health Service (PHS)
that involve the use of laboratory animals is eligible to apply.  For the
purposes of this program, an institution is defined as the organizational
component covered under a single Biomedical Research Support Grant code.
Separate applications may be submitted from different colleges or schools on
the same campus of a university within the same fiscal year.  However, a
single proposal for a campus-wide program with a single, centralized animal
care program is encouraged whenever possible.  The total request for PHS
support and the award are limited to $700,000.  Within this limit, the
equipment request may be of any size but the A&R portion cannot exceed
$500,000.  Matching funds from non-Federal sources, and equal to the total
award, are required.  These matching funds must be applied to the specific
project described in the application and cannot be met by citing other
expenditures.
 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 6
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
There will be a single receipt date of February 12, 1991.  Applications
received after this deadline will be returned without further processing.
Applications must be submitted on Form PHS 398 (Rev. 10/88).
 
Inquiries about specific instructions for applications and other aspects of
the program should be directed to:
 
Animal Resources Program
National Center for Research Resources
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 857
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5175
 
Application forms (PHS 398) may be obtained from grantee business or sponsored
projects offices or from:
 
Office of Grants Inquiries
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 449
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7441
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
93.306, Laboratory Animal Sciences and Primate Research.  Awards will be made
under the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title III, Section 301
(Public Law 78.410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grant
policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This
program is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

ADAMHA SMALL GRANT PROGRAM
 
PA:  PA-91-08
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715129, 0404003, 0404009
 
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
 
The Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) Small Grant
Program provides research support of up to $50,000 per year for up to 2 years
(direct costs).  This award is not renewable.
 
The ADAMHA Small Grant Program accepts applications that fall within the
program interests of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), the
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), and the National Institute on Alcohol
Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).  Each Institute makes awards for small grants
relevant to its mission.
 
PURPOSE
 
The ADAMHA Small Grant Program provides limited relatively rapid financial
support for research within the purview of the agency.  Funding decisions will
be based on scientific merit as determined by peer review, with priority given
to applications in any of the following four categories:
 
1.  Newer, less experienced investigators
 
2.  Investigators at institutions without well-developed research tradition
and resources
 
3.  More experienced investigators for exploratory studies which represent a
significant change in research direction for them
 
4.  More experienced investigators for testing new methods or techniques
 
Applicants must include an introductory paragraph in the research plan section
of the application identifying which priority category (1-4 above) is relevant
to them and providing explicit justification for its applicability.  If the
 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 7
application does not fall into any of the priority categories, this should be
stated.
 
Applications may be made for support of research in any scientific area
relevant to mental health or to drug or alcohol abuse.  While proposals may
involve a wide variety of biomedical, biobehavioral, or clinical disciplines,
relevance to the missions of the ADAMHA Institutes must be clear.
Applications for studies aimed at problems outside these areas will be
returned without review.
 
For projects involving clinical research, ADAMHA requires applicants to give
special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study populations
for clinical studies, a specific justification for this exclusion must be
provided.  Applications without such documentation will not be accepted for
review.  (See NIH Guide notices of August 24, 1990, Vol. 19, No.31 and
September 28, 1990, Vol. 19, No. 35).
 
ELIGIBILITY AND TERMS OF SUPPORT
 
Applications for small research grants may be submitted by any public or
private, profit or nonprofit institution such as a university, college,
hospital, laboratory; units of State or local government; and authorized units
of the Federal Government.
 
APPLICATION AND REVIEW
 
Small grant applications should be submitted 6 months in advance of the
desired starting date.  Applications must be submitted for the regular receipt
dates for research grant applications:  June 1, October 1, February 1.
Revised small grant applications must be submitted on the regular receipt
dates for revised applications:  July 1, November 1, March 1.  (An exception
to this schedule is AIDS related research.  All AIDS applications are on an
expedited review schedule and must be received by January 2, May 1, or
September 1.) Applications received late will be held for the next review
cycle or returned to the applicant.
 
All applicants must use the most recent revision of the research grant
application form PHS 398 (current revision 10/88).  The number of this program
announcement and its name should be entered in item 2 of the face page of PHS
398 application form (PA-91-08, "ADAMHA Small Grant Program").  The original
and 6 copies of the application should be submitted to the following address:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD 20892**
 
The application should be completed according to the instructions accompanying
the PHS 398 forms, with two exceptions:
 
1) The narrative portion of the small grant application which describes the
research plan (Section 2, parts A-D) may not exceed 10 pages of text.
 
2) An introductory paragraph to the research plan must identify which of the
four priority categories listed in the beginning of this announcement applies
and provide an explanation of how that priority category applies.  If the
application does not fall into any of the priority areas, this should be
stated.
 
REVIEW CRITERIA
 
  o  Adequacy of preparation or ability of principal investigator to do
     the proposed work
  o  Innovativeness or promise of the research idea
  o  For pilot studies, the potential of the proposed study as a
     building block in the development of future research
  o  Basis or grounding of the project in the relevant literature
  o  Reasonableness of the proposed approach/methodology
  o  Availability of adequate resources for the proposed research
  o  Adequacy of the provisions for protection of human and/or animal
     subjects
  o  Reasonableness/appropriateness of the requested budget
 
Reviewers will take into consideration the stage of scientific career
development of the principal investigator in applying the above criteria.

 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 8
After their review of scientific merit and the assignment of a priority score,
reviewers will evaluate the justification provided for the priority category
listed for this program.  An administrative note in the summary statement
documenting the review will reflect their evaluation.
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
Criteria for funding of applications include the scientific merit of the
proposal, relevance to areas of interest described in the Institute research
program announcements, and availability of funds.  In addition, Institute
staff will consider the Initial Review Group evaluation of the justification
for the Small Grant priority category.  While this announcement does not
specifically exclude applications that do not fall into one of the priority
categories, applications that are in these areas will be given priority in
funding.  Accordingly, other applicants are advised to consider applying for
regular research grants even if they are requesting support that is within the
small grant program dollar and time limits.
 
STAFF CONTACTS FOR THE SMALL GRANT PROGRAM
 
Contacts for the National Institute on Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse
 
Division of Basic Research
 
Samir Zakhari, Ph.D.
Chief, Biomedical Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-4223
 
Walter Hunt, Ph.D.
Chief, Neuroscience and Behavioral Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-4223
 
Division of Clinical and Prevention Research
 
John Allen, Ph.D.
Chief, Treatment Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-0796
 
Jan Howard, Ph.D.
Chief, Prevention Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-1677
 
Division of Biometry and Epidemiology
 
Mary C. Dufour, M.D., M.P.H.
Chief, Epidemiology Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-4897
 
Contacts for the National Institute on Drug Abuse
 
Division of Preclinical Research
 
Stephen Szara, M.D.
Chief, Biomedical Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-6300
 
Richard Hawks, Ph.D.
Chief, Research Technology Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-5280
 
Roger Brown, Ph.D.
Chief, Neuroscience Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-6975
 
Division of Clinical Research
 
John Boren, Ph.D.
Chief, Behavioral Pharmacology Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-1263
 
Zili Amsel, Sc.D.
Chief, Prevention Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-1514
 
Jack Blaine, M.D.
Chief, Treatment Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-4060

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 9
Sander Genser, M.D.
Acting Chief, Clinical Medicine Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-1801
 
Division of Applied Research
 
Barry Brown, Ph.D.
Chief, Community Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-6720
 
James Lipari
Chief, Workplace Policy Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-0802
 
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention Research
 
Mario DeLaRosa, Ph.D.
Epidemiologic Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-2974
 
Contacts for the National Institute of Mental Health
 
Division of Applied and Services Research
 
Thomas L. Lalley
Chief, Services Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3364
 
Ronald Manderscheid, Ph.D.
Chief, Statistical Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3343
 
Susan D. Solomon, Ph.D.
Chief, Violence and Traumatic Stress Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3728
 
Division of Basic Brain and Behavioral Sciences
 
Rodney Cocking, Ph.D.
Acting Chief, Basic Behavioral and Cognitive Sciences Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3942
 
Leonard Mitnick, Ph.D.
Chief, Basic Prevention and Behavioral Medicine Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-4337
 
Richard Nakamura, Ph.D.
Acting Chief, Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience Research
Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3948
 
Kay L. Fields, Ph.D.
Chief, Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3948
 
Stephen H. Koslow, Ph.D.
Acting Chief, Neuroimaging and Applied Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3563
 
Mary Ellen Oliveri, Ph.D.
Acting Chief, Personality and Social Processes Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3942
 
Ronald I. Schoenfeld, Ph.D.
Chief, Psychopharmacology Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3563
 
Division of Clinical Research
 
Peter S. Jensen, M.D.
Chief, Child and Adolescent Disorders Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-5944
 
Ben Z. Locke, M.S.P.H.
Chief, Epidemiology and Psychopathology Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3774

 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 10
Barry D. Lebowitz, Ph.D.
Chief, Mental Disorders of the Aging Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-1185
 
Jack D. Maser, Ph.D.
Acting Chief, Mood, Anxiety, and Personality Disorders Research
Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-1636
 
Joyce B. Lazar
Chief, Prevention Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-4140
 
Darrell G. Kirch, M.D.
Chief, Schizophrenia Research Branch
Telephone:  (301) 443-3524
 
Office of the Director
 
Ellen S. Stover, Ph.D.
Director, Office of AIDS Program
Telephone:  (301) 443-7281
 
Irene S. Levine, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Programs for the Homeless Mentally Ill
Telephone:  (301) 443-7281

RESEARCH ON LOW BACK PAIN
 
PA:  PA-91-09
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715150, 0715136, 0705050
 
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
(NIAMS) and the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
(NINDS) invites grant applications to study a broad range of basic and
clinical topics related to low back pain.  Support will be through individual
research, fellowship training, and career development grants.
 
BACKGROUND
 
Low back pain is the most common cause of disability in individuals between 20
and 50 years old.  It is also an extremely costly health care problem.  An
episode of back pain occurs in 50 to 70 percent of adults during their
lifetimes.  Most episodes of back pain are self-limiting.  Thirteen percent of
the population experiences back pain lasting more than two weeks and 5 percent
have chronic disability.  Most of the very high medical and social costs of
back pain can be attributed to the cohort of patients that is chronically
disabled.  The disabled subset (2.6 million permanently disabled) is
increasing 14 times faster than the population growth.
 
To help stimulate and focus enhanced research efforts, the NIAMS, in
conjunction with the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, and the North
American Spine Society, sponsored a Workshop on Research Perspectives in Low
Back Pain in May 1988.  A primary objective of the workshop was to develop
suggestions for future research directions.  A description of the workshop
agenda with a list of 63 independent research suggestions was published in
Spine (Vol. 14, No. 12, pp 1384-1390, 1989).  Recommendations for future
directions in four areas were identified:  nerve, disc, posterior support
structures, and muscle.  Investigators interested in responding to this
program announcement are invited to write or call Dr. Stephen Gordon to
receive a copy of the journal article.  A more detailed description of each
recommended research topic is available in the workshop proceedings New
Perspectives on Low Back Pain, edited by J.W. Frymoyer and S.L. Gordon,
Chicago, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, February 1989.
 
OBJECTIVES
 
This solicitation is intended to stimulate research that provides an improved
understanding of the etiology, epidemiology, prevention, and treatment of low
back pain.  Both basic research and work that integrates the clinical
syndromes with new basic research knowledge are encouraged.  In many
 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 11
instances, collaborative and multidisciplinary research efforts may be
required to achieve significant advances.  Research training and career
development opportunities would be valuable for young investigators seeking to
enter this field or to enhance their skills to conduct research related to low
back pain.
 
SCOPE
 
There is a great need for increased research efforts in a broad range of
scientific topics related to the pathogenesis, prevention, and treatment of
low back pain.  The scope of the areas requiring further research was clearly
described at the Workshop on Low Back Pain and in the resulting publications.
No priority has been established among the research suggestions presented in
the article.  Applications are encouraged in any scientifically meritorious
research areas related to low back pain.  Research applications are encouraged
from all basic science disciplines pertinent to this area, as well as the
medical specialties providing primary health care for patients with low back
pain including:  orthopaedic and neurologic surgeons, internists,
rheumatologists, physiatrists, and chiropractic and osteopathic practitioners.
 
The NIH requires applicants for grants to give added attention (where feasible
and appropriate) to the inclusion of minority groups and/or women in the study
populations for research.  For proposed population-based studies that include
neither women nor minorities, a clear rationale for not including them must be
provided.
 
APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications in response to this announcement will be reviewed in accordance
with the usual Public Health Service peer review procedures for research,
career, and training grant applications.  Review criteria include:  the
significance and originality of the research goals and approaches; feasibility
of the research and adequacy of the experimental design; training, research
competence, and dedication of the investigator(s); adequacy of available
facilities; provision for the humane care of animals; and appropriateness of
the requested budget relative to the work proposed.  Funding decisions will be
based on the evaluations by the Initial Review Groups and appropriate national
advisory councils.  Applications should be submitted using form PHS-398 (Rev.
10/88) or form PHS 416-1 and related instructional information available in
the business or grants office at most academic or research institutions, or
from the Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health.
 
Applications will be accepted in accordance with the dates for receipt of new
applications on a continuing basis:
 
February 1, June 1, October 1, for research grant applications.
 
January 10, May 10, September 10, for National Research Service Award
applications
 
The Phrase "RESPONSE TO NIAMS/NINDS PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT:  RESEARCH ON LOW
BACK PAIN PA-91-09" should be typed on line 2 of the face page of the
application.  The original and six copies of the application should be sent or
delivered to:
 
Grant Application Receipt
Office Division of Research Grants
Westwood Building, Room 240
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892-4500
 
For further information, investigators are encouraged to contact the
following individuals:
 
Stephen L. Gordon, Ph.D.
Musculoskeletal Diseases Program Director
National Institute of Arthritis and
Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 407
Bethesda, MD  20892-4500
Telephone:  (301) 496-7326

 

 

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 12
Dr. George N. Eaves
Deputy Director
Division of Stroke and Trauma
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Federal Building, Room 8A-13
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-4226
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
93.846, Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Research, No. 93.853,
Clinical Research Related to Neurological Disorders, and No. 93.854,
Biological Basis Research in the Neurosciences, the National Institute of
Neurological Disorders and Stroke.  Awards will be made under the authority of
the Public Health Service Act, Title III, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as
amended; 42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal
Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to
the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review.

BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH SUPPORT GRANT APPLICATIONS FOR FISCAL YEAR 1991
 
PA:  PA-91-10
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710030, 1014002
 
National Center for Research Resources
 
Application Receipt Date:  December 31, 1990
 
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES
 
The Biomedical Research Support Grant (BRSG) Program is designed to provide
funds to eligible institutions to strengthen their programs by allowing
flexibility to meet emerging opportunities in research; to explore new and
unorthodox ideas; and to use these research funds in ways and for purposes
that, in the judgment of the grantee institution, would contribute most
effectively to the furtherance of their research program.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Awards are made to non-profit institutions, not directly to individual
investigators.  Health professional schools, other academic institutions,
hospitals, state and municipal health agencies, and research organizations may
apply if, during FY 1990 (October 1, 1989 through September 30, 1990), the
institution was awarded a minimum of three allowable PHS biomedical or
health-related behavioral research grants and/or cooperative agreements,
totaling $200,000 (including direct and indirect costs).  Individuals, Federal
institutions, foreign institutions, and profit-making institutions are not
eligible.
 
NOTE:  "Other academic institutions" include, as a single eligible component,
all other schools, departments, colleges, and free-standing institutes of the
institution other than the health professional schools of a university.
 
AWARD CONDITIONS
 
Awards are contingent upon the availability of funds.  With eligibility
determined annually, the BRSG award is for one year beginning April 1.  The
BRSG award provides funds only for direct costs, and is based upon a formula
that is applied to the total costs awarded to an institution in the preceding
fiscal year for allowable PHS research grants.  No indirect costs will be
awarded.  Final progress and financial status reports, as well as a final
invention statement, will be required by June 30, 1992.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Form PHS 398 (Rev. 10/88) is to be used to apply for BRSG support.  Form PHS
398 (Rev. 10/88) is available in grantee business offices or may be requested
from the Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, Room 449
Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland 20892.
 
On or about November 26, a listing of eligible Fiscal Year 1990 grants,
together with program application guidelines, will be mailed to institutions
that, according to NIH records, are eligible to apply for a BRSG.  If an
institution believes that it is eligible and has not received application
materials, please submit a letter of request to the address noted below.

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 13
Completed applications must be mailed to the following address in sufficient
time to be received by the firm deadline date of December 31, 1990:
 
Office of Grants and Contracts Management National Center for Research
Resources National Institutes of Health Room 849, Westwood Building 5333
Westbard Avenue Bethesda, MD 20892
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, No.
93.337, Biomedical Research Support.  Grants will be awarded under the
authority of the Public Health Service Act, Section 301 (a)(3); Public Law
86-798, (42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal
Regulations 45 CFR Part 74 and the Biomedical Research Support Grant
Information Statement and Administrative Guidelines.  This program is not
subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of the Executive Order
12372 or Health Systems Agency review.

                                    ERRATA

BEHAVIORAL AND NEURAL APPROACHES TO COGNITION IN MENTAL HEALTH AND MENTAL
DISORDERS
 
PA:  PA-91-03
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404000, 0414005, 1002030, 0715095, 0715129
 
National Institute of Mental Health
 
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) announces the retitling of
PA-91-03 to Behavioral and Neural Approaches to Cognition in Mental Health and
Mental Disorders, from Cognition and Mental Health:  Behavioral and Neural
Approaches.  This program announcement was published in the NIH Guide for
Grants and Contracts on October 19, 1990, Vol. 19, No. 38.
 
Additional information concerning this announcement may be obtained by
contacting:
 
For neural mechanisms of cognition:
 
Richard Nakamura, Ph.D.
Cognition and Behavioral Neuroscience Research Branch
Room 11-105
Voice:  (301) 443-3948
Fax:  (301) 443-4822
E-mail:  [email-masked]
 
or
 
For behavioral principles of cognition:
 
Rodney Cocking, Ph.D.
Basic Behavioral and Cognitive Science Research Branch
Room 11C-10
Voice:  (301) 443-3942
Fax:  (301) 443-4822
 
The address for both of the above is:
 
Division of Basic Brain and Behavioral Sciences
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857

**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:
 
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

 

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 42, November 23, 1990 - Page 14