Subject: (Copy) NIH Guide Vol. 18, No. 46, December 29, 1989, Part 1 (final,
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 14:29 EST

Hello Paul,
   This is the second part of the NIH Guide.  Please post to the
listserver as NIHGUIDE.122989.
   Thanks,
          Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
Subject: NIH Guide Vol. 18, No. 46, December 29, 1989, Part 1 (final,RFAs next)
     
Vol. 18, No. 46, December 29, 1989

                                   NOTICES

NIDDK/DDDN DIGESTIVE DISEASE CENTER DIRECTORS MEETING .....(84/111).......... 1
National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE AND KIDNEY DISEASES

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

HAZARDOUS MATERIALS AND WASTE WORKER HEALTH AND SAFETY TRAINING
(RFA ES-90-1) ...................................(117/169, 644/1194)......... 1
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Index:  ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

TASTE SYSTEM PLASTICITY:  DEVELOPMENT, MAINTENANCE, AND REGENERATION ........ 2
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Index:  DEAFNESS, COMMUNICATION DISORDERS        (175/312)

VESTIBULAR SYSTEM:  BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY .....(321/454)............. 4
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Index:  DEAFNESS, COMMUNICATION DISORDERS

RESEARCH GRANTS ON THE NEUROLOGICAL BASIS OF COGNITION ..(457/600)........... 5
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

                                   NOTICES

NIDDK/DDDN DIGESTIVE DISEASE CENTER DIRECTORS MEETING
     
P.T. 42; K.W. 0715085, 0710095
     
National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases
     
Staff members of the Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition will meet
with the Center Directors to discuss issues of current concern in the Centers
Program.
     
Dates:  January 11-12, l990

Location:  Yale University School of Medicine
           Hunter Radiation Building
           Entrance off Cedar Street
           First Floor
           Courtney Bishop Conference Room
           New Haven, Connecticut
     
The second day of the meeting will be held at the Albert Einstein College of
Medicine (January 12, l990).  will be available to the Albert Einstein College
of Medicine.
     
Contact:   Tommie S. Tralka
           Program Director
           Digestive Diseases Centers Program
           Telephone:  (301) 496-9717

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

HAZARDOUS MATERIALS AND WASTE WORKER HEALTH AND SAFETY TRAINING
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  ES-90-1
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0725020, 0503016
     
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
     
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  February 9, 1990
Application Receipt Date:  March 16, 1990
     
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences seeks grant
applications from non-profit organizations experienced in delivering worker
health and safety training to develop and administer health and safety
education programs for hazardous materials or waste workers.  Current grantees
may submit competitive supplemental applications for program expansion.
     
Target populations for this training include those workers covered by
requirements of the Federal Occupational Health and Safety Administration
(Code of Federal Regulations, Title 29, Part 1910.120), the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency and other agencies.  These populations include workers and
supervisors engaged in:
     
1.  Handling and processing by generators and treaters at active and inactive
hazardous waste treatment, storage and disposal facilities;
     
2.  Clean-up, removal, containment or remedial actions at hazardous waste
sites;
     
3.  Hazardous materials emergency response;
     
4.  Hazardous waste disposal site risk assessment and investigation, remedial
actions or clean-up by State and local personnel; and
     
5.  Transportation of hazardous materials.
     
Your written request for copies of the Request for Applications should be
addressed to:

     

                 Vol. 18, No. 46, December 29, 1989 - Page 1
Denny Dobbin
Program Administrator
Worker Training Grants Program
Division of Extramural Research and Training
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
P.O. Box 12233
104 Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina  27709-2233
Telephone:  (919) 541-0752

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

TASTE SYSTEM PLASTICITY:  DEVELOPMENT, MAINTENANCE, AND REGENERATION
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710085, 1002004, 1002008, 0775000, 0790000
     
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
     
PURPOSE
     
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
encourages both new and established investigators in a broad range of
disciplines to submit applications related to the mechanisms of the generation
cycle of taste cells and trophic interactions between taste receptor cells,
taste nerves, and other cells during early development and later life.  New
opportunities for understanding the mechanism of this plasticity and its
development have been provided by advances in the concepts, approaches, and
methods of contemporary neurobiology, for example, cell and molecular
neurobiology.
     
BACKGROUND
     
Taste cells renew themselves through life in a continuous turnover process
that requires reconnections with the afferent nerves.  Taste cells degenerate
upon denervation and regenerate after reinnervation.  Treatments such as
radiation and chemotherapy also affect the cycle of regeneration.  Thus, the
taste system offers opportunities for studying receptor systems that are
renewed and remodeled through life.
     
The development of the concepts, approaches, and methods of modern
neurobiology has provided the opportunity to learn more about the mechanisms
of regeneration and neurotrophic actions in the taste system.  For example,
the continued development of cell and tissue culture techniques will
contribute to knowledge about these mechanisms.  Monoclonal antibodies and
other molecular probes may provide markers for specific taste cell types and
developmental stages.  Techniques for long-term recordings from the
innervation of developing or regenerating taste buds provide an opportunity to
study restoration of taste function after trauma or medical treatment.  High
voltage electron and temporal video microscopy can be utilized to visualize
cellular elements during development.
     
REFERENCE
     
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.  A Report of
the Task Force on the National Strategic Research Plan.  April 1989.
     
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
Studies of regeneration and neurotrophic actions in the taste system are
important for understanding the normal development of gustation, its
plasticity, and the response to injury, disease or therapy, and age-related
conditions.  This knowledge is important for developing therapeutic approaches
for repairing damage to the system.  Certain broad areas of interest in taste
system plasticity are analogous to those of other senses and include, but are
not limited to:  cell birth, migration, differentiation, maturation, and
death.  Examples of topics related to these areas are:
     
  o  Interations between nerve, mesenchyme and epithelium that organize
     and maintain taste papillae and taste buds.
     
  o  Relative specificity of taste nerves versus other sensory nerves in
     taste bud development, maintenance and regeneration.
     
  o  Role of cell surface or extracellular molecules in establishing the
     peripheral taste system.

                 Vol. 18, No. 46, December 29, 1989 - Page 2
  o  Mechanisms of activation and deactivation of degeneration and
     regeneration.
     
  o  Origin of different types of taste cells.
     
  o  Quantitative relations between taste stem cells and progeny.
     
  o  Ultrastructural and biochemical characterization of taste cell
     types during regeneration and development.
     
  o  Identification of trophic factors related to the generation cycle
     of taste buds cells, including molecular mechanisms of maintenance
     of taste buds.
     
  o  Relations between specific types of taste cells and innervation by
     single taste nerve fibers.
     
  o  Similarities and differences in development and maintenance of
     taste cells and auditory or vestibular hair cells or olfactory
     neurons.
     
  o  Effects of conditions such as age or nutritional status on initial
     development and regeneration of taste buds.
     
The list of topics above is not complete; investigators are encouraged to
study those or other topics that meet the objectives of this announcement.
     
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
     
Support mechanisms include the individual research project grant (RO1), First
Independent Research Support and Transition Award (R29), Research Career
Development Award (KO4), Clinical Investigator Development Award (KO8),
Individual National Research Service Award (F32) and Senior Fellowship
National Research Service Award (F33).  The NIH policies that govern the
programs will prevail.  Funding is contingent upon receipt of proposals of
high scientific merit, responsiveness to this announcement, relevance to the
program, and availability of appropriated funds.
     
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
Use the standard application forms (PHS 398, rev. 10/88) as instructed in the
application kits.  These kits are available from the business offices or the
offices of sponsored research of most institutions, or from the Division of
Research Grants, National Institutes of Health.  Type "Taste System
Plasticity:  Development, Maintenance, and Regeneration" in Item #2 of the
application face page and check the "Yes" box.  Applications should be
responsive to the Program Announcement and the Abstract of the Research Plan
should contain a clear statement relating the proposed research to gustation,
which is of interest to NIDCD.
     
Use the mailing label in the kits to mail the applications to the Division of
Research Grants.  Applications should be submitted according to the receipt
dates identified in the application kits.  The applications will be reviewed
as specified in the schedules of the application kits.  In the event of
questions, investigators are encouraged to call or write:
     
Jack Pearl, Ph.D.
National Institute on Deafness
and Other Communication Disorders
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 1C-14
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5061
     
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.854, Biological Basis Research in the Neurosciences and Communicative
Sciences, and No. 13.853, Clinical Basis Research in the Neurosciences and
Communicative Sciences.  Awards will be made under the authority of the Public
Health Service Act, Title IV, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42
USC 241) and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations 42
CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to Health Systems
Agency Review.

     

     
     
                 Vol. 18, No. 46, December 29, 1989 - Page 3
VESTIBULAR SYSTEM:  BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1003002, 0710100, 0790000, 0715050
     
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
     
The Division of Communication Sciences and Disorders of the National Institute
on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) encourages the
submission of individual research grant applications related to biochemical
and pharmacological studies that will elucidate the structure and function of
the vestibular system.
     
BACKGROUND
     
The development of techniques in the fields of cell and molecular biology and
biophysics offers new approaches for studying the biochemistry and
pharmacology of balance.  The techniques include isolated cell preparations
and tissue culture, new organ culture techniques, patch clamping, laser
interferometry, microspectrofluorometry, and high voltage electron and video
microscopy.
     
Biochemical insights have been achieved with immunocytochemical probes and
modern methods of analytical chemistry.  Recent advances in molecular biology
technology and protein sequencing methods provide powerful tools to address
questions in the vestibular field at the molecular level.  Application of
these techniques is needed in biochemical and pharmacological studies of
balance.
     
REFERENCE
     
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.  A Report of
the Task Force on the National Strategic Research Plan.  April 1989.
     
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
The ultimate goal of this biochemical and pharmacological research is
effective prevention or treatment of diseases and disorders of balance.  The
achievement of that goal requires a broad range of biochemical and
pharmacological studies aimed at gaining further understanding of the
structure and function of the vestibular system.  Studies may address the
areas below, which are not limiting:
     
  o  Novel approaches to identify the peripheral afferent
     neurotransmitter and characterize its release, reuptake, and
     inactivation are needed.  The process of afferent-efferent
     interaction needs to be defined in terms of chemical, metabolic,
     and neuromodulatory phenomena.
     
  o  The neurotransmitter receptors and receptor subtypes in all
     acousticolateralis tissues need to be characterized.  The role of
     second messengers and their subcellular targets needs to be
     analyzed.
     
  o  The biochemical changes that underlie the adaptive plasticity of
     the neural circuitry need to be defined.
     
  o  An understanding of the mechanisms of ion transport and fluid
     homeostasis is of clinical relevance for medical conditions such as
     Meniere's disease and ototoxicity.  Advances in measuring
     labyrinthine blood flow allow assessment of pharmacological
     manipulations of labyrinthine physiological chemistry.  The
     relation between endocrine substances and labyrinthine function
     needs to be determined.
     
  o  The techniques of molecular biology and genetics offer the
     opportunity to examine the pharmacological basis of degenerative
     and congenital disorders of balance.
     
  o  The central vestibular system neurotransmitters and neuromodulators
     need to be characterized with biochemical, pharmacological, and
     immunocytochemical approaches.  For example, quantitative
     immunocytochemical studies provide a detailed localization of
     transmitters and modulators.  The steady development of
     immunological markers facilitates progress in this area.
     Combinations of these approaches would help to determine the roles
     of central vestibular neurotransmitters.

     
                 Vol. 18, No. 46, December 29, 1989 - Page 4
  o  Qualitative and quantitative changes in central neurotransmitters
     and neuromodulators need to be identified in conditions such as
     vestibular nerve deafferentation, aging, and development.  Such
     changes may be indicative of the plasticity of neuronal responses
     after peripheral vestibular damage.  The neurotransmitters, their
     synthesis, release and inactivation, and their postsynaptic
     receptors may be markers of discrete neuronal changes.
     
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
     
Support mechanisms include, but are not limited to, the individual research
project grant (R01), First Independent Research Support and Transition Award
(R29), Research Career Development Award (K04), Clinical Investigator
Development Award (K08), Individual National Research Service Award (F32), and
Senior Fellowship National Research Service Award (F33).  The NIH policies
that govern the programs will prevail.  Funding is contingent upon receipt of
proposals of high scientific merit, responsiveness to this announcement,
relevance to the program, and availability of appropriated funds.
     
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
Use the standard application forms (PHS 398, rev. 10/88) as instructed in the
application kits.  The kits are available from the business offices or the
offices of sponsored research of most institutions, or from the Division of
Research Grants, National Institutes of Health.
     
Type "VESTIBULAR SYSTEM:  BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY" in Item #2 of the
application face page and place a checkmark in the "YES" box.  Applications
should be responsive to the announcement, and the Abstract of the Research
Plan should contain a clear statement relating the proposed research to the
objectives of this announcement.
     
Use the mailing label in the kits to mail the applications to the Division of
Research Grants.  Submit applications in accord with receipt dates identified
in the application kits.  The applications will be reviewed as specified in
the schedules of the application kits.  For more information, investigators
are encouraged to call or write:
     
Jack Pearl, Ph.D.
National Institute on Deafness
and Other Communication Disorders
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 1C-14
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5061
     
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.854, Biological Basis Research in the Neurosciences and Communicative
Sciences, and No. 13.853, Clinical Basis Research in the Neurosciences and
Communicative Sciences.  Awards will be made under the authority of the Public
Health Service Act, Title IV, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42
USC 241) and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations 42
CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to Health Systems
Agency Review.

RESEARCH GRANTS ON THE NEUROLOGICAL BASIS OF COGNITION
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002030, 0414005, 0705010
     
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
     
This program announcement, issued by the Division of Fundamental Neurosciences
of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), is
designed to encourage the submission of applications for research grants
dealing with the neurological basis of cognitive processes.
     
I. BACKGROUND
     
The 1990s have been designated as the Decade of the Brain.  We will witness
the discovery of important insights into how the brain performs some of its
important cognitive activities.  The 1980s saw a burgeoning of research into
how the two hemispheres of the mammalian brain differ in anatomy and in their
contributions to cognitive functions; it can be expected that sophisticated
physiological investigations will provide a more thorough understanding of
mechanisms that underlie asymmetrical brain functions.  Recent studies have
indicated a system of structures in the human brain supporting mechanisms of
attention; different components of attention will likely be found to be
     
                 Vol. 18, No. 46, December 29, 1989 - Page 5
associated with different neural systems.  Sex differences have also been
reported in some areas of research into brain function underlying cognitive
processes, but the possible reasons for these phenomena are quite speculative.
     
In recent years research on cognitive processes have become more prominent in
the United States.  This increased interest is partly the result of impressive
advances in neurobiology that have shed light on some factors in cognitive
functions.  The explosive growth of research in the neurosciences is, to some
degree, a result of a desire on the part of scientists to seek a better
understanding of what is done especially well by the human brain.  The purpose
of this announcement is to encourage these research trends, with the hope that
more comprehensive integration and insights will develop as new types of
investigations are designed and employed.
     
II.  SCOPE
     
The Division presently supports some research into the nature of the
neurological basis of cognition, some of which was generated in response to an
announcement on the "Neurophysiology of Cognition" issued a decade ago.  The
present announcement supersedes the earlier one and is meant to expand this
area of research.
     
Examples of research areas:
     
Some of the types of investigations envisioned by this announcement will
depend on ingenious developments of present lines of research and some on
expansion into unexplored lines.  They could include the following:
     
  o  Investigation of localization of function with brain scanning
     devices, using reliable methods of assessing such functions as
     imagery, closure, autobiographical memory, different facets of
     attention and problem solving.
     
  o  Neurophysiological and noninvasive neuropsychological research on
     nonhuman primates engaged in language-relevant communication,
     including the use of numbers.  If, as in the human being and
     certain birds, there is asymmetrical function, tracking the
     localization as it develops can provide further insight into the
     nature of the mechanisms.
     
  o  Comprehensive analysis of gender differences in the effects of
     circumscribed static neurological lesions upon well-standardized
     cognitive measures, with attention to comparing patients with
     either anterior or posterior locations of lesions, subcortical or
     cortical locations, right or nonright handedness, etc.
     
  o  Neurophysiological measures obtained from nonhuman primates engaged
     in repetitive event-related activities.  Certain theories about
     brain function during event-related potentials might be profitably
     tested in primates or other nonlissencephalic animals.  Noninvasive
     methods could be used with the more rare and endangered species.
     
  o  The distinction between episodic memory and semantic memory (and
     other similar, or identical, types, depending on the theorist)
     could perhaps benefit from research that would lead to biologically
     based distinctions.
     
III. MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
The support mechanism for grants in this area are the individual research
grant (RO1), the program project (P01), and the FIRST award (R29).  Under
these mechanisms, the principal investigator and any participating
investigators will plan, direct, and perform the research.
     
APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
Applications must be prepared on form PHS 398 (Rev. 10/88) using the
instructions included in the application kit.  These kits are available from
the Office of Sponsored Research of most institutions, from the Division of
Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, Westwood Building, Room 449,
Bethesda, MD 20892, or from the NINDS address cited below.  Additional
application guidelines for NINDS P01 applications should be obtained from the
Scientific Review Branch at the NINDS address, Room 9C10A.
     
Receipt dates for new research project grant and FIRST award applications are
February 1, June 1, and October 1.

     
                 Vol. 18, No. 46, December 29, 1989 - Page 6
To identify responses to this announcement, check "yes" and put "Research
Grants on the Neurological Basis of Cognition" under item 2 of page 1 of grant
applications submitted in response to this program announcement.  Use the
mailing label provided in the application kit and mail the signed original and
six exact copies to:
     
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland  20892**
     
Research project grant and FIRST award applications will be reviewed for
scientific and technical merit by an appropriate study section in the Division
of Research Grants.  Secondary review may be by the National Advisory
Neurological Disorders and Stroke Council.  Applications judged to be within
the purview of other Institutes of NIH will be assigned accordingly.
     
For further information, potential applicants are encouraged to call or write
to:
     
Herbert C. Lansdell, Ph.D.
Division of Fundamental Neurosciences
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Federal Building, Room 916
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5745
     
The NIH urges applicants to give added attention (where feasible and
appropriate), to the inclusion of women, as well as men, and minorities in the
study of populations for all clinical research efforts.  If women and
minorities are not to be included, a clear rationale for their exclusion
should be provided.
     
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.854, Biological Basic Research in the Neurosciences.  Awards will be made
under the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Section 301 (42 USC 241)
and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part
52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to review by a Health
Systems Agency.

**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:
     
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
     
                 Vol. 18, No. 46, December 29, 1989 - Page 7