Subject: NIH Guide December l4, l990
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 08:06 EST

Good Morning Paul,
   This is the first of two NIH Guide items coming to you this
morning.  Please post this one as: NIHGUIDE.901214
   Thanks.
          Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 12 pages (960 lines)
X-comment: RFAs described:  NS-91-02

 

 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990

                                   NOTICES

PROGRAM INCOME EARNED UNDER RESEARCH GRANTS .....(84/187)................... 1
Public Health Service
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
Index:  PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE
        NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
        ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, AND MENTAL HEALTH ADMINISTRATION

NATIONAL WORKSHOPS ON "PROTECTION OF HUMAN SUBJECTS" ..(190/309)............ 2
National Institutes of Health
Food and Drug Administration
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
        FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION

REVISED SALARY CEILING ON CAREER AWARDS ...............(321/345)............ 4
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

                             DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS

NIH SMALL INSTRUMENT GRANTS PROGRAM ...................(351/414)............ 4
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

TOXICOLOGY OF AIDS THERAPEUTICS (RFP) .................(420/459)............ 5
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Index:  ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES

CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERS ON HEAD INJURY, SPINAL CORD INJURY,
AND CNS TRAUMA (RFA NS-91-02) ....................(462/580, 964/1413)....... 5
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

RESEARCH TRAINING AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARDS IN DIABETES,
ENDOCRINOLOGY, AND METABOLIC DISEASES (PA-91-15) ...(586/916)............... 7
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES

NOTE:  The NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts will not be published
on December 21, 1990.  The next issue will be December 28, 1990.

 

 

 

 

                                   NOTICES

PROGRAM INCOME EARNED UNDER RESEARCH GRANTS
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1014006
 
Public Health Service
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
 
Public Health Service (PHS) policy requires applicants for PHS research grants
to include in their grant applications an estimate of the amount and source of
program income (defined below) expected to be generated as a result of the
project for which support is being sought.  The specific policies that govern
the treatment of program income under research grants are set forth in the
Interim Update to the 10/1/90 edition of the PHS Grants Policy Statement
(GPS).  The contents of the Interim Update, which was issued on 11/15/90 as
part of PHS Grants Policy Memorandum Number 54, also will be included in the
formal GPS revisions expected to be issued on or about 1/1/91.
 
Program income is gross income earned by a grant recipient from activities
part or all of which is borne as a direct cost by the grant.  Examples of
program income include:
 
  o  Fees earned from services performed under the grant, such as those
     resulting from laboratory drug testing.
 
  o  Rental or usage fees, such as those earned from fees charged for
     use of computer equipment purchased with grant funds.
 
  o  Third-party patient reimbursement for hospital or other medical
     services, such as insurance payments for patients where such
     reimbursement occurs because of the grant-supported activity.
 
  o  Funds generated by the sale of commodities, such as tissue
     cultures, cell lines, or research animals.
 
The current application Forms PHS 398 and 2590 (Revised 10/88, Reprinted 9/89)
will undergo a general revision to accommodate, among other changes, the
required information on program income.  However, until that occurs, research
grant applications must address the subject as follows:
 
  o  For both competing applications (Form PHS 398) and noncompeting
     continuation applications (Form PHS 2590), the OTHER SUPPORT page
     must indicate yes or no whether program income is anticipated
     during the period(s) for which grant support is requested.  If the
     answer is "yes", the amount and source(s) of such income by budget
     period also must be indicated.
 
The above requirement begins with:
 
  o  New (Type 1) applications submitted for the 2/1/91 receipt date.
 
  o  Competing Continuation (Type 2) applications submitted for the
     3/1/91 receipt date.
 
  o  Noncompeting Continuation (Type 5) applications for budget periods
     beginning 4/1/91.
 
Consistent with page 8-9 of the GPS (as updated 11/15/90), program income
earned under research grants is to be treated by grantees according to one of
the following alternatives prescribed by the PHS awarding component:
 
A. Additional Costs (Regardless of Amount)
 
The income is used for costs that are in addition to the allowable costs of
the grant but that nevertheless further the objectives of the statute under
which the grant was made.  This alternative routinely will be applied to those
research grants that are subject to the expanded grant authorities set forth
on pages 8-3 through 8-5 of the GPS (as updated 11/15/90).
 
B. Deduction (Regardless of Amount)
 
The income is used for allowable costs of the grant but reduces (rather than
increases) the level of funds committed to the grant project.  This
alternative is applied most commonly to program income earned under

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 1
nonresearch grants for health services projects, but its use is not limited
solely to such projects.
 
C. Additional Costs (First $25,000) and Deduction (Amounts in Excess of
$25,000)
 
This combination of alternatives A. and B., above, represents the routine
treatment of program income for those research grants that are not subject to
the expanded grant authorities.
 
D. Other
 
This acknowledges the latitude of PHS awarding components to prescribe "other"
methods of treating program income when deemed appropriate to the particular
circumstances.
 
In all cases the Notice of Grant Award (Form PHS 1533) will reflect the
approved treatment of any program income, whether anticipated at the time of
award or not.  PHS grants management staff may contact applicants prior to
award to discuss the treatment of program income in specific instances.
Applicants with questions concerning any aspect of this topic are encouraged
to contact the Grants Management Officer of the appropriate PHS awarding
component.
 
Regardless of the disposition instructions on the Notice of Grant Award, all
program income earned during the budget period must be identified on the
Financial Status Report.

NATIONAL WORKSHOPS ON "PROTECTION OF HUMAN SUBJECTS"
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 0783005
 
National Institutes of Health
Food and Drug Administration
 
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Food and Drug Administration
(FDA) are continuing to sponsor a series of workshops on responsibilities of
researchers, Institutional Review Boards (IRBs), and institutional officials
for the protection of human subjects in research.  The workshops are open to
everyone with an interest in research involving human subjects.  The meetings
should be of special interest to those persons currently serving or about to
begin serving as a member of an IRB.  Issues discussed at these workshops are
relevant to all other Public Health Service agencies.  The current schedule
includes the following:
 
I.  SOUTHWEST WORKSHOP
 
DATES:  February 4-5, 1991
 
WORKSHOP SITE:
Meridien Hotel
50 Third Street
San Francisco, CA  94103
 
SPONSOR:
University of California at San Francisco
Box 0400
San Francisco, CA  94143
 
REGISTRATION CONTACT:
Ms. Phyllis Colbert
Workshop Contact Person
University of California at San Francisco
Box 0400
San Francisco, CA  94143
Telephone:  (415) 476-1881
 
TOPIC:  "The Use of Human Subjects in Research:  AIDS as a Model of
Complexity"
 
II.  MIDEAST WORKSHOP
 
DATES:  March 4-5, 1991

 

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 2
WORKSHOP SITE:
Friday Center
Laurel Hill Parkway
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-1020
 
SPONSORS:
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
300 Bynum Hall
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-4100
 
Shaw University
118 E. South Street
Raleigh, NC  27611
 
REGISTRATION CONTACT:
Mr. Al Dawson
Director
Friday Center
Laurel Hill Parkway
C. B. 1020
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-1020
Telephone:  (919) 962-1106
 
TOPIC:  "Interpreting the Federal Code for the Protection of Human Subjects"
 
III.  MIDWEST WORKSHOP
 
DATES:  April 11-12, 1991
 
WORKSHOP SITE:
Hyde Park Hilton
4900 Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL  60615
 
SPONSORS:
University of Chicago
970 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL  60637
 
Chicago State University
95th Street at King Drive
Chicago, IL  60628
 
REGISTRATION CONTACT:
Mr. Arnold L. Aronoff
Associate Director
Faculty and Administrative Services
University Research Administration
University of Chicago
970 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL  60637
Telephone:  (312) 702-8669
 
TOPIC:  "Cultural Diversity, Ethics, and Research:  A Workshop on Human
Subject Protection"
 
NIH/FDA have planned national human subject protections workshops in other
parts of the United States.  For further information regarding these workshops
contact:
 
Darlene Marie Ross
Executive Assistant for Education
Division of Human Subject Protections
Office for Protection from Research Risks
National Institutes of Health
9000 Rockville Pike
Bldg. 31, Room 5B43B
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8101

 

 

 
 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 3
REVISED SALARY CEILING ON CAREER AWARDS
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1014002, 1014006
 
National Institutes of Health
 
Beginning with awards made from Fiscal Year 1991 funds, the ceiling for
reimbursement of the candidates' base salary on all career awards will be
$50,000.  Under this policy, the NIH contribution to the base salary will be
consistent with the grantee institution's salary scale up to a maximum of
$50,000.  At this time the salary increase will affect the following awards:
 
      Name of the Award                         Activity Code
 
      Special Emphasis Research Career Award          K01
      Academic Award                                  K07
      Clinical Investigator Award                     K08
      Physician Scientist Award                       K11
      Physician Scientist Award (program)             K12
      Minority School Faculty Development Award       K14
      Dental Scientist Award                          K15
      Dental Scientist Award (program)                K16
 
The salary ceiling on Research Career Development Awards (K04) was raised to
$50,000 in Fiscal Year 1990.

                             DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS

NIH SMALL INSTRUMENTS GRANTS PROGRAM
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0735000
 
National Institutes of Health
 
Application Receipt Date:  February 13, 1991
 
BACKGROUND
 
In its appropriation for the NIH for Fiscal Year 1987, the Congress included
$16 million to be spent by the respective NIH Institutes and Centers to fund
grants for the purchase of small instruments costing between $5,000 and
$60,000.  This action was in response to several recent studies that indicate
that the state of biomedical research instrumentation had seriously eroded
over the last ten years and that this situation was retarding the progress of
biomedical research.  The most significant need identified in these studies
was for the relatively low-cost pieces of equipment in the price range of
approximately $5,000 to $60,000.  The Congress in subsequent years has
continued to provide funds for this activity.
 
Approximately $16 million is available for small instrumentation grants this
year.
 
ELIGIBILITY AND TERMS OF AWARD
 
Each institution that received support under the Biomedical Research Support
Grant (BRSG) Program in Fiscal Year 1990 and currently has active NIH research
grants is eligible to apply.  Only one application may be submitted from each
eligible institution or organizational component.  Each institution may
establish its own procedures for identifying equipment requests to be
included.
 
The small instrumentation award will be restricted to the purchase of
equipment costing between $5,000 and $60,000.  Awards will be made on or
before September 30, 1991.  The amount of the award will be based upon a
percentage of the institution's Biomedical Research Support Grant award for
Fiscal Year 1990 or $5,000, whichever is greater.  Specific funding decisions
will depend on available appropriations as well as the appropriateness of the
request.  Institutions will be notified of the maximum amount for which they
may apply.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Letters of instruction to eligible institutions were mailed on November 28,
1990.

 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 4
Completed applications must be received by February 13, 1991.
 
Investigators interested in participating in their institution's application
must contact the institution's Biomedical Research Support Grant Program
Director.  Institutional officials who expect to be involved in preparing an
application are requested to review the letter of instructions prior to
contacting NIH.  For additional information contact:
 
Office of Special Programs and Initiatives
Office of Extramural Programs
National Institutes of Health
Building 31, Room 5B44
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1968

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

TOXICOLOGY OF AIDS THERAPEUTICS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-ES-91-02
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 0740012, 0740020, 1007009
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
 
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), National
Institutes of Health (NIH), is soliciting proposals from offerors having the
capability to conduct subchronic general and reproductive/developmental
toxicity studies in rodents exposed to AIDS therapeutics.  Toxicologic
evaluation of a specific AIDS therapeutic will involve the evaluation of the
therapeutic, alone or in combination, in a reproductive/developmental toxicity
study in rats and/or a general toxicity study in rats and mice.  Based on both
the results of these studies and the current status of research being
conducted on the particular therapeutic being evaluated, a decision will be
made as to whether the therapeutic, alone or in combination, shall be
evaluated further.  If reproductive/developmental toxicity evaluation is to
continue, a study plan will be designed and performed by the
reproductive/developmental group of the Systems Toxicity Branch of NIEHS.  If
general toxicity evaluation is to continue, a study plan shall be designed and
performed by the contractor for a 13-week and/or 6-month study in rats and/or
mice.  The contractor will be required to perform approximately 5 studies for
year 1, 5 studies for year 2, 3 studies for year 3, 6 studies for year 4, and
1 study for year 5.  The number and type of studies may vary from year to
year, depending upon the needs of the NIEHS.  The estimated issuance date of
RFP NIH-ES-91-02 is December 18, 1990 and responses will be due to be received
45 days thereafter.  The NIEHS expects to make one award from this
solicitation.
 
Requests for the RFP should reference RFP NIH-ES-91-02 and should be forwarded
to:
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Contracts and Procurement Management Branch, OM
ATTN:  Jo Ann Lewis
79 T.W. Alexander Drive, 4401 Building
P.O. Box 12874
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709

CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERS ON HEAD INJURY, SPINAL CORD INJURY, AND CNS TRAUMA
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  NS-91-02
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715027, 0715210, 0705010, 0705055
 
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  March 1, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  April 26, 1991
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) invites
applications for Head Injury Clinical Research Centers, Spinal Cord Injury
Clinical Research Centers, Central Nervous System (CNS) Trauma Clinical
Research Centers, or feasibility (exploratory) grants for the development of
 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 5
such centers.  The purpose of this Request for Applications (RFA) is to
promote research that will lead to improved clinical treatment, and to
increase clinical research on the restoration and preservation of function
after head or spinal cord injury.
 
EXPERTISE AND ELIGIBILITY
 
The Center Director or Principal Investigator must be active in a clinical or
basic discipline related to central nervous system trauma, and have
demonstrated capabilities for developing and directing an integrated research
program.  The research projects included in the centers should be conducted by
scientists or clinicians representing a variety of disciplines, who will
relate to each other so that new scientific and clinical leads may be
developed and utilized.  Applicants must document the existence of, or
potential for, ongoing basic, applied, and clinical research related to CNS
trauma; research facilities in neuroscience; clinical facilities that
demonstrate the ability to account for patients suffering CNS injuries; and
plans for the further development of individual investigators, fellows, or
clinicians in specialized techniques or procedures relevant to research in CNS
trauma.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to give
special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study populations
for clinical studies, a specific justification for this exclusion must be
provided.  Applications without such documentation will not be accepted for
review.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the research center grant (P50)
or the exploratory (feasibility) grant (P20).  Center grants will be awarded
for up to five years, renewable; feasibility grants will be awarded for up to
three years, not renewable.  Research center grants (P50) may not exceed
annual direct costs of $750,000 for each of five years; exploratory grants
(P20) may not exceed annual direct costs of $250,000 for each of three years.
The NINDS expects to make up to three awards for center grants and (or) up to
ten awards for exploratory grants, depending upon availability of funds.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed by NINDS staff to determine
administrative and programmatic responsiveness to this RFA.  Applications
judged unresponsive will be returned to the applicant.  All applications that
are complete and responsive may be subjected to a triage by an NINDS review
group to determine relative scientific merit among the applications.  The
NINDS will administratively withdraw those applications judged to be
noncompetitive for award.  Those applications judged to be competitive for
award will be further reviewed for scientific and technical merit by a peer
review group convened by NINDS.  No site visits will be made.  A final level
of review will be by the National Advisory Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Council.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Letter of Intent.  The NINDS urges applicants to submit a letter of intent
including:  name and address of the Principal Investigator, names and
addresses of co-investigators responsible for each project within the center;
descriptive titles of individual projects and required components; and
identification of collaborating institutions.  Letters should specify whether
the application will be for the research center (P50) or for the feasibility
grant (P20).  A letter of intent is not binding, does not enter into the
review of a subsequent application, and is not a precondition for an award.
 
Format of Applications.  All applicants will use form PHS 398 (revised 10/88).
Applicants should use the format as described in the NINDS brochure
"Application Guidelines:  Program Project and Clinical Research Center Grants"
(revised 10/89), which may be obtained from Dr. Mary Ellen Michel at the
address below.  To identify the application as a response to this RFA, check
"yes" on item 2 of page 1 of the application form and enter the title "NINDS:
HEAD, SPINAL CORD INJURY CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERS" and the RFA number
NS-91-02.  All applications must be received by April 26, 1991.  An
application not received by this date will be ineligible for consideration.
Awards will be made on or before September 30, 1991.

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 6
INQUIRIES
 
A copy of the complete RFA, including review criteria and application
instructions, may be obtained from this issue of the E-Guide or contacting:
 
Dr. Mary Ellen Michel
Division of Stroke and Trauma, NINDS
Federal Building, Room 8A13
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-4226
 
The program to which the intended grants relate is described in the Catalog of
Federal Domestic Assistance, entry numbers 93.853, "Clinical Research Related
Neurological Disorders" and 93.854, "Biological Basis Research in the
Neurosciences".  Grants will be awarded under the authority of the Public
Health Service Act, Title IV, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42
USC 241), and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations 42
CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review.

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

RESEARCH TRAINING AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARDS IN DIABETES, ENDOCRINOLOGY,
AND METABOLIC DISEASES
 
PA:  PA-91-15
 
P.T. 22, 34; K.W. 0715075, 0715135, 0785050, 1002004, 1002019, 0710070
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
BACKGROUND AND SCOPE
 
The intention of this Program Announcement is to reemphasize the Division of
Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolic Diseases' commitment to increasing the
number of biomedical investigators who are conducting high-quality research in
the areas of diabetes, endocrinology, and metabolic diseases.  The Division
encourages all individuals, and especially underrepresented minorities, to
submit applications.
 
Increasingly, problems in diabetes, endocrinology, and metabolism require
interdisciplinary approaches.  Thus, the Division wishes to encourage
applicants for research training and career development support to develop
expertise in areas such as molecular biology, cell biology, structural
biology, immunology, neurology, developmental biology, genetics, and
epidemiology as well as in diabetes, endocrinology, and metabolism or
metabolic diseases, including cystic fibrosis.  This support for professional
development may be used to acquire proficiency in sophisticated techniques
such as methods for study of protein structure/function, measurement of very
low levels of biologically-active molecules, gene transfer techniques, and
measurement of ion transport.  Applicants seeking to develop such expertise
may wish to have mentors in diabetes, endocrinology, or metabolic diseases as
well as in another relevant discipline.
 
Investigators should be aware that NIH requires applicants to give added
attention, where feasible and appropriate, to the inclusion of minorities and
women in study populations.  Gender and minority population differences should
be noted and analyzed wherever possible.  If minorities and/or women are not
included in a given study, a clear reason for their absence must be provided.
Merely including an arbitrary number of minority group and women participants
in a given study is insufficient to guarantee generalization of results.
 
Suggestions for interdisciplinary training and career development include but
are not limited to:
 
  o  Cell biology and endocrinology to investigate the regulation of
     growth and proliferation of endocrine cells, including pancreatic
     islets, and the pathophysiology of benign endocrine neoplasms such
     as thyroid nodules, goiter, and pituitary adenomas;
 
  o  Neurobiology and endocrinology to investigate the role of steroid
     and peptide hormones in the brain and hormonal involvement in
     disorders such as stress, depression, and Alzheimer's disease;

 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 7
  o  Developmental biology and endocrinology to study the role of
     hormones and growth factors in growth and development and in
     cellular differentiation;
 
  o  Immunology and endocrinology to investigate the pathogenesis of
     autoimmune endocrine disorders including Insulin Dependent Diabetes
     Mellitus, Graves' disease, thyroiditis, and Addison's disease;
 
  o  Molecular biology and endocrinology to study hormonal regulation of
     gene expression;
 
  o  Bone biology and endocrinology to investigate the role of hormones,
     cytokines, and growth factors in regulation of cell growth and
     mineralization;
 
  o  Structural biology and endocrinology to explore at the molecular
     level the mechanism of hormone action, hormone receptor
     interactions, and intracellular signaling;
 
  o  Pharmacology and cystic fibrosis to develop drugs efficacious in
     cystic fibrosis;
 
  o  Membrane biochemistry and physiology to explore the molecular basis
     of defective ion transport in cystic fibrosis;
 
  o  Molecular biology and cystic fibrosis to develop cell and animal
     models for study of pathophysiology and therapy of cystic fibrosis,
     ultimately to explore the possibility of gene therapy;
 
  o  Genetics and diabetes to investigate the genetic basis of
     Insulin-Dependent and Noninsulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus;
 
  o  Structural biology and human genetics to investigate the
     development or application of macromolecular X-ray diffraction and
     NMR methods, computer-assisted modeling, and molecular dynamics or
     mechanics simulations to studies of enzyme function, molecular
     biology, molecular genetics, and/or biochemical genetics of inborn
     errors of metabolism in model systems and humans;
 
  o  Cellular biology and human genetics to investigate intercellular
     and intracellular peptide/protein transport as they pertain to the
     understanding of human genetic metabolic diseases in model systems
     and humans;
 
  o  Neurobiology and human genetics to investigate similarities and
     differences in metabolic processes between various organ or cell
     systems and the nervous system, as well as the neurologic
     implications of abnormal metabolism in human genetic metabolic
     diseases;
 
  o  Wide bore and whole body magnetic resonance spectroscopy and
     imaging of metabolic processes.
 
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
 
Several mechanisms exist that will support the professional development of
individuals who can advance research in these areas.  Each mechanism is
tailored to a particular stage of the investigator's career.  The existing
mechanisms are:  Individual Fellowships (F32, F33); Physician Scientist Award
(PSA-K11); Clinical Investigator Award (CIA-K08); and Research Career
Development Award (RCDA-K04).  Physician investigators are encouraged to use
the PSA and CIA to develop expertise in basic and clinical research.
 
It is imperative that such a training or career development program equip the
developing physician-scientist to become an independent investigator capable
of designing and executing rigorous research protocols carefully crafted to
examine a hypothesis.  Ideally, such investigators should be able to integrate
patient-oriented and laboratory-oriented research methods to address questions
related to the physiology and pathophysiology of diabetes, endocrinology, and
metabolic diseases, including cystic fibrosis.
 
The support mechanisms for training and research career development awards are
summarized in this announcement.  Detailed guidelines for each of the
mechanisms can be obtained from the office of sponsored programs at most
research institutions or from the Division of Research Grants, NIH, (301)
496-7441.  Only U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals are eligible for
support under these programs.

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 8
A. INDIVIDUAL NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD (F32)
 
Individual NRSA awards are given only at the postdoctoral level.  The
application must describe a specific research project that is guided and
sponsored by a preceptor at a particular institution.  This support is for
full-time research training.  Provisions of these awards include:
 
  o  Awards for up to 36 months of training (waivers may be granted to
     M.D.s for an additional year);
 
  o  Stipends based on years of experience:  range is $17,000 -$31,500
     per year;
 
  o  Institutional allowance of $3,000 per year ($2,000 per year for
     fellows at NIH) to help meet expenses;
 
  o  Support for more than 12 months requires "payback."
 
B.  SENIOR NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD (F33)
 
Senior fellowships are designed for experienced scientists who wish to make
major changes in the direction of their research career, to broaden their
research capabilities, or to enlarge their command of an allied research
field.  Provisions of the award include:
 
  o  Awards may be for up to 24 months;
 
  o  Candidates must have received a doctoral degree or equivalent and
     have had at least 7 subsequent years of relevant professional or
     research experience;
 
  o  The stipend is up to $31,500 per year.
 
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND REVIEW FOR FELLOWSHIP AWARDS
 
Application Receipt Dates for these two awards are January 10, May 10, and
September 10.  Applicants must use Fellowship Application Kit (PHS 416-1,
Revised 4/89).  Fellowships will be reviewed through the accelerated NIH peer
review system in the Division of Research Grants.  Earliest possible funding
start dates will be 7 to 8 months after receipt dates.
 
NOTE:  The Division also supports approximately 41 predoctoral and 220
postdoctoral positions which are administered through Institutional Training
Grants (T32s) at over 50 locations throughout the country.  For information
about applying for these grants or for a list of the currently active Training
Grants supported by this Division, contact the representative listed at the
end of this announcement.
 
C. PHYSICIAN SCIENTIST AWARD - PSA (K11)
 
The PSA is designed to encourage the newly trained clinician to develop
independent research skills and experience in a fundamental science.  The
award is divided into two phases.  During Phase I, which may last 2-3 years,
the candidate is expected to develop independent research skills and
experience in a fundamental science and may elect to work toward a Ph.D.
degree.  The primary sponsor must be an accomplished basic science
investigator.  Phase II entails intensive research activity, applying the
skills learned during Phase I.
 
Applicants for the PSA must:
 
  o  Hold an M.D. or other health professional degree.  Ordinarily,
     candidates holding the Ph.D. are ineligible;
 
  o  Have completed at least one postgraduate year of clinical training
     by the time the award is made;
 
  o  Not have previous independent research support;
 
  o  Commit at least 75 percent time to PSA activities.
 
Provisions of the PSA include:
 
  o  Three to five years of support, nonrenewable;
 
  o  Salary up to $50,000 per year plus fringe benefits;

 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 9
  o  Up to $10,000 (Phase I) and $20,000 (Phase II) per year for
     research supplies, equipment, technical assistance, travel, etc.;
 
  o  Up to 10 percent of the primary sponsor's salary and commensurate
     fringe benefits during the first phase of the award.
 
Awardees must inform the NIH for each of five years following the completion
of the award about academic status, publications, and research grants and
contracts received.
 
D. CLINICAL INVESTIGATOR AWARD - CIA (K08)
 
The CIA is offered to provide the opportunity for promising clinically trained
individuals with demonstrated aptitude in research to develop into independent
investigators.
 
Applicants for the NIDDK CIA must:
 
  o  Hold an M.D. or other health professional degree;
 
  o  Have had approximately 4 to 8 years of postdoctoral experience,
     both clinical and research (a minimum of 2 years of each) by the
     projected start of the award;
 
  o  Not have been a principal investigator on a Public Health
     Service-supported research project.
 
Provisions of the CIA include:
 
  o  Three to five years of support, nonrenewable;
 
  o  Salary up to $50,000 per year plus fringe benefits;
 
  o  Up to $20,000 per year for research supplies, equipment, technical
     assistance, travel, etc.;
 
  o  Commitment of at least 75 percent time to the project.
 
Awardees must inform the NIH for each of five years following the completion
of the award about academic status, publications, and research grants and
contracts received.
 
E. RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARD - RCDA (K04)
 
The RCDA is a special salary grant to enhance the research capabilities of
individuals in the formative stages of their careers.  Candidates who have
demonstrated outstanding potential as independent investigators in
health-related research but need to be released from some of the teaching,
clinical, and administrative duties assigned to junior faculty are eligible.
The award is not intended for untried investigators or for those already
established as an independent investigator.
 
Applicants for the RCDA must:
 
  o  Hold a doctoral degree or equivalent and have at least 5 years
     postdoctoral research experience, including 2 years as the
     principal investigator of a peer-reviewed research grant, prior to
     the requested beginning date of the award;
 
  o  Describe in the application how the award will enhance development
     as independent investigators;
 
  o  Have independent research support, funded by the NIDDK, sufficient
     for the research proposed in the RCDA application;
 
  o  Hold a faculty appointment.
 
Provisions of the RCDA include:
 
  o  Five years of support, nonrenewable;
 
  o  Salary up to $50,000 per year plus fringe benefits.  No funds are
     available under this award for research expenses.  These expenses
     are expected to be included in the independent research support
     described above.

 
 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 10
  o  Commitment of at least 80 percent time to research.  The remaining
     time (up to 20 percent) must be spent on research-related
     activities that will enhance research career development.
 
RCDA applications may be submitted concurrently with a regular research grant
application but may not be submitted concurrently with other development
awards such as PSA, CIA, FIRST Award, or Academic Award.
 
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND REVIEW for the K AWARDS
 
Application receipt dates for all career development awards (K series) are
February 1, June 1, and October 1.  The PSA and CIA applications will be
reviewed by an NIDDK review committee.  RCDA applications will be reviewed
through the regular NIH peer review system in the Division of Research Grants.
Earliest possible funding dates are approximately 10 months after the receipt
dates.  Use application form PHS 398, Rev. 10/88, with special instructions
for the PSA, CIA, and RCDA ("The K Awards," October 1990).
 
Applications submitted in response to this announcement should be identified
by typing PA-RESEARCH CAREER AWARDS in DDEM and PA-91-15 on line 2 of the face
page, below the title of the project.
 
Applicants from institutions that have a General Clinical Research Center
(GCRC) funded by the NIH National Center for Research Resources may wish to
identify the GCRC as a resource for conducting the proposed activity.  In such
a case, a letter of agreement from either the GCRC program director or
Principal Investigator could be included with the application.
 
For further information about these awards, contact:
 
Lois F. Lipsett, Ph.D.
Program Director
Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolic Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 620
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7433

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 45, December 14, 1990 - Page 11