Subject: March 29, l99l NIH Guide main body
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 91 11:29 EST

Hi Paul,
   This just arrived.  Please post to the NIH Listserver as:
        NIHGUIDE.910329
  Thanks.
         Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 20, No. 13, March 29, 1991 P1O1 ***********************
 
$$INDEX BEGIN **********************************************************
 
                                   NOTICES
 
$$INDEX N1 *************************************************************
 
NATIONAL WORKSHOPS ON "PROTECTION OF HUMAN SUBJECTS"
National Institutes of Health
Food and Drug Administration
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
        FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$INDEX R1 *************************************************************
 
WOMEN'S HEALTH TRIAL:  FEASIBILITY STUDY IN MINORITY POPULATIONS -
CLINICAL CENTERS (RFP)
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX R2 *************************************************************
 
WOMEN'S HEALTH TRIAL:  FEASIBILITY STUDY IN MINORITY POPULATIONS -
STATISTICAL AND NUTRITION COORDINATING CENTER (RFP)
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX R3 06/17/91 ****************************************************
 
NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD INSTITUTIONAL TRAINING GRANTS IN
MEDICAL REHABILITATION RESEARCH (RFA HD-91-11)
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Index:  CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
 
$$INDEX R4 11/14/91 ****************************************************
 
HUMAN GENOME PROGRAM DEVELOPMENTAL GRANTS (RFA HG-91-04)
National Center for Human Genome Research
Index:  HUMAN GENOME
 
$$INDEX R5 09/16/91 ****************************************************
 
KAPOSI'S SARCOMA:  CELL CYCLE STUDIES OF VASCULAR CELLS (RFA HL-91-06-H)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
 
$$INDEX R6 06/14/91 ****************************************************
 
INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS DATA BASE:  CLINICAL CENTERS AND DATA COORDINATING
CENTER (RFA DK-91-10)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$INDEX P1 *************************************************************
 
PSYCHOPATHOLOGY AND MENTAL RETARDATION (PA-91-37)
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
 
$$INDEX P2 *************************************************************
 
CLINICAL MENTAL HEALTH ACADEMIC AWARD (PA-91-38)
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
 
$$INDEX END ************************************************************
                                   NOTICES
 
$$N1 BEGIN *************************************************************
 
NATIONAL WORKSHOPS ON "PROTECTION OF HUMAN SUBJECTS"
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 0783005
 
National Institutes of Health
Food and Drug Administration
 
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Food and
Drug Administration (FDA) are continuing to sponsor a series
of workshops on the responsibilities of researchers,
Institutional Review Boards (IRBs), and institutional
officials for the protection of human subjects in research.
The workshops are open to everyone with an interest in
research involving human subjects.  The meetings should be
of special interest to those persons currently serving or
about to begin serving as a member of an IRB.  Issues
discussed at these workshops are relevant to all other
Public Health Service agencies.  The current schedule
includes the following:
 
MIDWEST WORKSHOP
 
DATES: April 11-12, 1991
 
PLACE:
Ramada Inn, Lakeshore
4900 South Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL  60615
 
SPONSORS:
University of Chicago
970 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL  60637
 
Chicago State University
95th Street at King Drive
Chicago, IL  60628
 
REGISTRATION CONTACT:
Mr. Arnold L. Aronoff
Associate Director
Faculty and Administrative Services
University Research Administration
University of Chicago
970 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL  60637
Telephone:  (312) 702-8669
 
TOPIC:  Cultural Diversity, Ethics, and Research:  A
Workshop on Human Subject Protection
 
NIH/FDA have planned workshops on human subject protections
in other parts of the United States.  For further
information regarding these workshops contact:
 
Darlene Marie Ross
Executive Assistant for Education
Division of Human Subject Protections
Office for Protection from Research Risks
National Institutes of Health
9000 Rockville Pike (Bldg. 31, Room 5B59)
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8101
 
$$N1 END ***************************************************************
 
                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN NCI-CN-15344-20 *********************************************
 
WOMEN'S HEALTH TRIAL:  FEASIBILITY STUDY IN MINORITY
POPULATIONS - CLINICAL CENTERS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NCI-CN-15344-20
 
P.T. 34, FF, II; K.W. 0755015, 0710095
 
National Cancer Institute
 
The National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Prevention and
Control, is soliciting proposals to establish three Clinical
Centers for the Women's Health Trial:  Feasibility Study in
Minority Populations.  This
dietary intervention study is a randomized, controlled
multicenter trial that will enroll a total of 2,250 post-
menopausal women.  One of the Clinical Centers shall
enroll 50 percent or greater representation of Black
women, one shall enroll 50 percent or greater representation
of Hispanic women, and one shall enroll women as they are
represented in the U.S. population, including all minorities.
Women representing all economic levels will be enrolled at
each Clinical Center.  The main focus of the three-year
feasibility study is to assess the ability of Black,
Hispanic, and low-income populations to change their current
eating habits to a low-fat eating pattern (20 percent of calories
as fat).  Responsibilities of each Clinical Center include:
(a) enrollment of 750 eligible study participants over an
18-month period and the capability to enroll an
additional 1,250 eligible women; (b) implementation of the
trial protocol for baseline and follow-up data collection;
and (c) delivery of the standardized nutrition intervention
program through group counselling and instruction.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000",
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFP,
"Women's Health Trial:  Feasibility Study in Minority Populations
- Clinical Centers," is related to the priority area of
nutrition.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000"
(Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000"
(Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
Date
of issuance of the RFP will be approximately April 5, 1991,
with a closing date for receipt of proposals to be 60 days
later.  The National Cancer Institute plans to make three awards
from this solicitation.
 
Copies of this RFP may be obtained by sending a written
request citing the RFP No. NCI-CN-15344-20 to:
 
Mr. Charles E. Lerner, Contract Specialist
National Institutes of Health
National Cancer Institute
Research Contracts Branch, PCCS
Executive Plaza South, Room 635
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8603
 
No collect calls will be accepted.
 
$$R1 END ***************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN NCI-CN-15343-20 *********************************************
 
WOMEN'S HEALTH TRIAL:  FEASIBILITY STUDY IN MINORITY
POPULATIONS - STATISTICAL AND NUTRITION COORDINATING
CENTER
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NCI-CN-15343-20
 
P.T. 34, FF, II; K.W. 0755015, 0710095, 0755018
 
National Cancer Institute
 
The National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer
Prevention and Control, is soliciting proposals to
establish a Statistical and Nutrition Coordinating Center
for the Women's Health Trial:  Feasibility Study in
Minority Populations.  This dietary intervention study
is a randomized, controlled, multicenter trial that
will enroll 2,250 post-menopausal women at three clinical
centers.  The Coordinating Center will play a central
role in the overall coordination of the trial, data
management and analysis, blood specimen storage, dietary
assessment and monitoring, and development and coordination
of the nutrition intervention program.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000",
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFP,
"Women's Health Trial:  Feasibility Study in Minority Populations
- Statistical and Nutrition Coordinating Center,"
is related to the priority area of nutrition.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000"
(Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000"
(Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
Date of issuance
of the RFP was March 15, 1991, with the
proposals due 45 days later.
Copies of this RFP may be obtained by sending a written
request citing the RFP No. NCI-CN-15343-20 to:
 
Mr. Charles E. Lerner, Contract Specialist
National Institutes of Health
National Cancer Institute
Research Contracts Branch, PCCS
Executive Plaza South, Room 635
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8603
 
No collect calls will be accepted.
 
$$R2 END ***************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN HD-91-11 ****************************************************
 
NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD INSTITUTIONAL TRAINING
GRANTS IN MEDICAL REHABILITATION RESEARCH
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HD-91-11
 
P.T. 44; K.W. 0720005, 0745070, 0785180
 
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
 
Application Receipt Date:  June 17, 1991
 
The National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research of the National
Institute of Child Health and Human Development is implementing an
institutional National Research Service Award (NRSA) pre- and
postdoctoral research training program in medical rehabilitation
research.
 
Applications will be accepted from domestic, nonprofit public and
private schools of medicine, osteopathy, and accredited medical
rehabilitation facilities with departments of physical medicine or the
equivalent thereof, with this training program based in that department.
 
This is a one-time request with plans to make five or six awards in
fiscal year 1991.  The direct cost request for the first year may not
exceed $125,000.  The initial period of support requested may be five
years.  Funding beyond that time period will be subject to competitive
renewal.
 
For a detailed copy of the Request for Applications (RFA), specifying
eligibility and the characteristics of the training program, applicants
must contact:
 
David B. Gray, Ph. D.
Health Scientist Administrator
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 631
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1383
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Mr. Don C. Clark
Grants Management Officer
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 501
6130 Executive Boulevard
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5001
 
$$R3 END ***************************************************************
 
$$R4 BEGIN HG-91-04 ****************************************************
 
HUMAN GENOME PROGRAM DEVELOPMENTAL GRANTS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HG-91-04
 
P.T. 44; K.W. 1215018, 0790010, 0755045
 
National Center for Human Genome Research
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Dates:  May 9, 1991; September 14, 1991
Application Receipt Dates:  July 9, 1991; November 14, 1991
 
The National Center for Human Genome Research (NCHGR)
announces the availability of developmental grants (P20) to
provide support to groups of outstanding investigators who
wish to develop interdisciplinary research programs on
genome problems.
 
BACKGROUND
 
The National Institutes of Health is currently engaged in a
research program to characterize the genomes of selected
model organisms, including that of the human.  The five-year
scientific goals for the NCHGR research program include:
expanding the human genetic map to a resolution of two to
five centimorgans; constructing complete physical maps of
the DNA of certain model organisms and the human; and
developing new technology to increase the efficiency and
accuracy and to lower the cost of physical mapping and DNA
sequencing.
 
Attaining these goals may require the establishment of
interdisciplinary collaborations and/or large research
projects that are usually supported by program project or
center grants.  Planning such a project requires
considerable effort and may also require significant
funding.  To encourage investigators to undertake the effort
of planning for such complex projects and acquiring the
necessary preliminary data and key biological reagents, the
NCHGR offers non-renewable developmental grants (P20) of
limited size and duration.
 
OBJECTIVES OF HUMAN GENOME PROGRAM (HGP) DEVELOPMENTAL
GRANTS
 
The primary purpose of the HGP developmental grant will be
to provide support for a group of investigators to develop
interdisciplinary collaborations and strategies, to obtain
preliminary results that demonstrate feasibility, and to
develop a research plan addressing a major research goal of
the Human Genome Project to be used as the basis for an
application for an HGP program project or center grant.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES
IN RESEARCH STUDIES
 
NIH policies concerning research on human subjects apply to
this program.  For projects involving clinical research, NIH
requires applicants to give special attention to the
inclusion of women and minorities in study populations.
Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues
cannot be identified or linked to individuals are excluded
from this requirement.  However, every effort should be made
to include human tissues from women and racial/ethnic
minorities when it is important to apply the results of the
study broadly, and this must be addressed by applicants.
 
TERM OF SUPPORT
 
HGP developmental grants will be limited to $750,000 total
costs per year for a maximum of three years.  It is
anticipated that up to five developmental grants will be
awarded depending upon the quality of the applications
received.  Up to $3,750,000 may be awarded as HGP
Developmental Grants.  The awards are not renewable and
supplements are not usually allowed.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
There will be two receipt dates for this Request for Applications
(RFA):  July 9, 1991
and November 14, 1991.  Future RFAs for HGP developmental
grants will be published if there is a continuing need to
stimulate interdisciplinary genome research.  Applications
will be evaluated for scientific merit by the Genome
Research Review Committee and will receive a second-level
review by the National Advisory Council for Human Genome
Research.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Applicants are strongly urged to contact the individual
listed below by telephone and with a letter of intent (due
two months prior to the receipt date), to indicate that they
plan to submit an application for an HGP developmental
grant.  The letter should include the name of the Principal
Investigator and key co-investigators as well as the title
and subject of the planned research.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Before preparing an application, applicants must obtain the
full RFA and instructions for HGP Developmental Grants from:
 
Jane L. Peterson, Ph.D.
Chief, Research Centers Branch
National Center for Human Genome Research
National Institutes of Health
Building 38A, Room 610
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7531
 
For information regarding NIH grants policy, contact:
 
Ms. Alice Thomas
Grants Management Officer
National Center for Human Genome Research
National Institutes of Health
Building 38A, Room 613
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0733
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.172.  Awards will be made under the
authority of the Public Health Service Act, Sections 301
(Public Law 78-410, as amended by 42 U.S.C. 241) and
administered under PHS grants policies and Federal
Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program
is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements
of Executive Order 12372 or to Health System Agency review.
 
$$R4 END ***************************************************************
 
$$R5 BEGIN HL-91-06-H **************************************************
 
KAPOSI'S SARCOMA:  CELL CYCLE STUDIES OF VASCULAR
CELLS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HL-91-06-H
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715040, 0715035, 1002004
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
Application Receipt Date:  September 16, 1991
 
The Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases,
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
(NHLBI), announces the availability of a Request
for Applications (RFA) on the above subject.
Copies of the RFA are available from
staff of the NHLBI.  Awards will be made to
foreign institutions only for research of very
unusual merit, need, and promise.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving
the health promotion and disease prevention objectives of
'Healthy People 2000', a PHS-led national activity for
setting priority areas.  This RFA 'Kaposi's Sarcoma: Cell
Cycle Studies of Vascular Cells' is related to the
priority area of HIV infection.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000"
(Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000"
(Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
This special program will support research into the basic
mechanisms involved in the proliferative patterns of
vascular cells in Kaposi's sarcoma (KS).  One goal of
these studies is to acquire knowledge that could be
utilized to develop new approaches to the treatment of
KS.  A second and more general goal is to acquire
knowledge that would have broad application for
understanding the aberrations of vascular cell
proliferation in a variety of diseases in which capillary
cell dysfunction plays a key role.
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the
traditional, individual research project grant (RO1).  Although
the financial plans for fiscal year 1992 include
$1,000,000 for the total costs of this program, award of
grants pursuant to this RFA is contingent upon receipt of
funds for this purpose.  It is anticipated that up to five
grants will be awarded under this program.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
All domestic public and private, for-profit and non-profit,
institutions or organizations are eligible to apply in response
to this RFA.
Awards in connection with this announcement
will be made to foreign institutions only for research of
very unusual merit, need, and promise, and in accordance
with Public Health Service policy governing such awards.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants
to give special attention to the inclusion of women and
minorities in study populations.  If women or minorities are not
included in the study populations for clinical studies, a
specific justification for this exclusion must be provided.
Applications without such documentation will not be accepted for
review.
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed for their
responsiveness to the objectives of this RFA.  If an
application is judged unresponsive, the applicant will be
contacted and given an opportunity to withdraw the
application or to have it considered for the regular,
investigator-initiated grant program of the NIH.
Applications judged to be responsive will be reviewed for
scientific and technical merit by an initial review
group, which will be convened by the Division of
Extramural Affairs, NHLBI, solely to review these
applications.
 
Application Procedure
 
Send or deliver the completed application and four (4)
signed, exact photocopies to the following, making
sure that the original application with the RFA label
attached is on top:
 
Division of Research Grants
Westwood Building, Room 240
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
SEND AN ADDITIONAL NINETEEN (19) COPIES OF THE
APPLICATION TO:
 
Dr. Charles Turbyfill
Review Branch/Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 553
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
IT IS IMPORTANT TO SEND
THESE NINETEEN COPIES AT THE SAME TIME AS THE ORIGINAL
AND FOUR COPIES ARE SENT TO THE DIVISION OF RESEARCH
GRANTS.  OTHERWISE THE NHLBI CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT THE
APPLICATION WILL BE REVIEWED IN COMPETITION FOR THIS RFA.
 
Applications must be received by September 16, 1991.  An
application not received by this date will be considered
ineligible.
 
Requests for copies of the RFA should be addressed to:
 
Constance Weinstein, Ph.D.
Chief, CDB, DHVD
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 3C06
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1081
FAX:  (301) 480-6282
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Linda Shaw
Grants Operation Branch
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 4A11-D
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7536
 
$$R5 END ***************************************************************
 
$$R6 BEGIN DK-91-10 ****************************************************
 
INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS DATA BASE:  CLINICAL CENTERS AND DATA
COORDINATING CENTER
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DK-91-10
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755018, 0785220, 0413001, 0780005
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
Application Receipt Date:  June 14, 1991
 
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney
Disease (NIDDK) through the Division of Kidney, Urologic and
Hematologic Diseases (DKUHD) invites cooperative agreement
applications to establish Clinical Centers and a Data
Coordinating Center directed at determining the natural
history of interstitial cystitis (IC).
 
BACKGROUND
 
Interstitial cystitis is a chronic, painful, and variably
incapacitating disorder that manifests a symptom complex
consisting of pain in the region of the urinary bladder and
associated pelvic musculature, and variable motor and
sensory dysfunctions of the urinary bladder.  It affects a
significant percentage of the adult population,
predominately women.  Although the symptom complex was
described nearly a century ago, there has been little
research into this disorder until recently, and the existing
data contain many conflicting and incongruous findings.
The factors that have inhibited advances in the
understanding of this disorder include:  the lack of specific
diagnostic criteria, the lack of specific tissue changes at
the histological level, and the unpredictable and variable
remission and recrudescence of symptoms.
 
OBJECTIVES AND SCOPE
 
The purpose of this Request for Applications (RFA) is to establish
three Clinical Centers and one Data Coordinating Center to
study the natural history of IC.  The Clinical Centers will
recruit and follow patients with IC and collect
demographic, symptom information, and patient specimens,
including bladder biopsy material, in a standardized
manner.  The Data Coordinating Center will collect, store,
and analyze data and specimens that are obtained.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants
to give special attention to the inclusion of women and
minorities in study populations.  If women or minorities are not
included in the study populations for clinical studies, a
specific justification for this exclusion must be provided.
Applications without such documentation will not be accepted for
review.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the
cooperative agreement, which is similar to the traditional
NIH research grant.  It differs from a research grant in the
extent and nature of NIH staff involvement.
 
As a result of this announcement, it is anticipated that
four awards (three Clinical Centers and one Data
Coordinating Center) will be made under this RFA, at a
funding level of approximately $200,000 - $250,000 in total
costs for the Data Coordinating Center and approximately
$125,000 in total costs for each Clinical Center.  However,
the funding of such applications is contingent on the actual
availability of funds and the receipt of applications of
sufficient scientific merit.  Support for successful
applications will begin on September 30, 1991; total support
for the project will be for approximately 5 years.  The
current policies and requirements that govern the review,
funding, and performance of cooperative agreement programs of
the NIH will prevail.  Additional requirements for
performance in this program are also set forth by NIDDK and
are outlined in the full RFA.
 
APPLICATIONS AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications will be reviewed initially by the Division of
Research Grants (DRG) for completeness and will be assigned
to a special NIDDK review group.  Evaluation for
responsiveness to the RFA is an NIDDK program staff
responsibility.  Applications that are jundged non-
responsive will be returned to the applicant.  Those
applications judged to be both responsive and competitive
will be evaluated for scientific/technical merit by an
appropriate initial review group convened by the NIDDK
Review Branch.  The second level of review by the National
Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Disease Advisory Council will
make recommendations regarding funding.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Applications must be submitted on form PHS 398 (revised
10/88) available in the business or research grant offices
of most academic or research institutions, and from the
Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants,
Room 449, Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard Avenue, National
Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892.
Applications will be accepted until close of business on
June 14, 1991.  No extensions will be granted on the
application deadline.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Copies of the full RFA may be obtained from:
 
John W. Kusek, Ph.D.
Director, Clinical Trials Program
Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 621
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7133
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Thomas Turley
Grants Management Office
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 653B
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7467
 
$$R6 END ***************************************************************
 
                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN *************************************************************
 
PSYCHOPATHOLOGY AND MENTAL RETARDATION
 
PA:  PA-91-37
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710105, 0715130, 0715095, 0745020, 0415001
 
National Institute of Mental Health
 
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) announces
support of research to elucidate the epidemiology,
etiology, treatment, and prevention of behavioral and
emotional mental disorders in persons of any age with
mental retardation.  Of special interest is basic
research into the pathogenesis of emotional disorders
among individuals with mental retardation and studies of
those emotional disorders that appear to be etiologically
related to mental retardation.  In addition, NIMH
encourages clinical and applied investigations that lead
to the development of diagnostic research methodology and
instrumentation, treatment, and intervention strategies.
Research methodologies may range from laboratory
experimental studies to observational field studies.
 
Applications may be submitted by any public or nonprofit
institution such as a university, college, hospital, or
community agency, units of State and local government,
and authorized units of the Federal government, and for-
profit institutions and entities.  Women and minorities
are encouraged to apply.
 
Applicants must give special attention to the inclusion
of minorities and women in study populations for
research.  The lack of appropriate attention to these
issues on the part of the applicant will be seen as
weakening the application.  If women and minorities are not
included in a given study, a clear rationale for their
exclusion must be provided.
 
Support mechanisms for this program include the
individual research project grant (RO1), the First
Independent Research and Transition (FIRST) award (R29),
program projects (PO1), small grants (RO3), and
appropriate research training mechanisms.  Criteria for
these various mechanisms should be requested from the
contact listed below.
 
Support may be requested for a period of up to 5 years.
Annual awards will be made subject to continued
availability of funds.  For fiscal year 1991, it is
estimated that approximately $500,000 will be available
for this purpose.
Applications will be accepted on the regular receipt
dates and assigned by the standing referral guidelines.
 
For further information, prospective applicants should
contact:
 
Eleanor Dibble, DSW
Child and Adolescent Disorders Branch
Division of Clinical Research
National Institute of Mental Health
Parklawn Building, Room 10-104
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  10857
Telephone:  (301) 443-5944
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Diana S. Trunnell
Grants Management Branch
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane
Parklawn Building, Room 7C15
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3065
 
$$P1 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P2 BEGIN *************************************************************
 
CLINICAL MENTAL HEALTH ACADEMIC AWARD
 
PA:  PA-91-38
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715095, 0715129, 0715177, 0414004
 
National Institute of Mental Health
 
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) announces
the Clinical Mental Health Academic Award to assist in
the development of academic scholars oriented toward
clinical research in the areas designated as high
priority by NIMH:  disorders of children and adolescents,
geriatric mental health, and schizophrenia.  A secondary
purpose is to assist in the development of a greater
number of departments/institutions with a strong academic
and research base in these high priority areas.  Upon
completion of the award, the nominee is expected to
function as a researcher, as a resource person to help
foster development of other researchers, and as a teacher
to introduce new research findings in the academic
setting.
 
Eligible institutions are limited to accredited U.S.
colleges and universities offering post-baccalaureate
degrees.  Nominees must be U.S. citizens or must have
been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent
residence.  Women and members of minority groups are
encouraged to apply.  Applications for this award are
required to include both women and minorities in study
populations for clinical research, unless compelling
scientific or other justification for not including them
is provided.
 
The Clinical Mental Health Academic Award is
limited to a period of 5 years.  Candidates may request
up to $25,000 each year of the award.  In Fiscal Year 1990,
approximately $2,000,000 was allocated to this program.
NIMH anticipates awarding as many as 10 new awards per
year, but applications submitted in response to this
announcement will compete with others assigned to NIMH
for funding.
 
Potential applicants seeking further information should
direct inquiries to:
 
Leonard Lash, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Research Training and Research Resources
Room 10-99
Telephone:  (301) 443-3264
 
Peter S. Jensen, M.D.
Chief, Child and Adolescent Disorders Research Branch
Room 10-104
Telephone:  (301) 443-5944
 
Enid Light, Ph.D.
Head, Research Resources
Mental Disorders of the Aging Research Branch
Room 7-103
Telephone:  (301) 443-1185
 
David Shore, M.D.
Acting Chief, Schizophrenia Research Branch
Room 10C-06
Telephone:  (301) 443-3524
 
The mailing address for all of the above is:
 
Division of Clinical Research
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Diana S. Trunnell
Grants Management Branch
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane
Parklawn Building, Room 7C15
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3065
 
$$P2 END ***************************************************************