Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(19) 05/17/91 - P1/2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 91 14:41 EST

Hi Paul,
   The May l7th NIH Guide has arrived.  It will be in four parts
today.   Please post this one to the NIH Listserver as:
    NIHGUIDE.910517
  Thanks.   Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19910517 V20N19 P1O2 ************************************
X-comment: RFAs described: DK-91-06, HL-91-07
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 20, No. 19, May 17, 1991
 
$$INDEX BEGIN **********************************************************
 
                                   NOTICES
 
$$INDEX N1 *************************************************************

PREAPPLICATION MEETINGS:  ADULT AIDS CLINICAL TRIALS UNITS
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
 
$$INDEX N2 *************************************************************
 
BIOLOGICAL FLUID DYNAMICS WORKSHOP:  MODELING FLOWS WITH IMMERSED
ELASTIC STRUCTURES
National Center for Research Resources
Index:  RESEARCH RESOURCES

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$INDEX R1 09/05/91 ****************************************************
 
KIDNEY DISEASE AND HYPERTENSION IN BLACKS:  PILOT STUDY (RFA DK-91-06)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES
 
$$INDEX R2 10/15/91 ****************************************************
 
PROGRAM PROJECTS IN VASCULAR BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE (RFA HL-91-07)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$INDEX P1 *************************************************************
 
MEDICAL RELEVANCE OF HUMAN HERPESVIRUSES TYPES 6 AND 7 (PA-91-49)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
 
$$INDEX P2 08/23/91 ****************************************************
 
MINORITY INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH TRAINING PROGRAM (PA-91-50)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
 
$$INDEX P3 08/23/91 ****************************************************
 
MINORITY SCHOOL FACULTY DEVELOPMENT AWARD (PA-91-51)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
 
$$INDEX P4 *************************************************************
 
RESEARCH ON MENTAL DISORDERS IN RURAL POPULATIONS (PA-91-52)
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
 
$$INDEX P5 *************************************************************
 
RESEARCH ON THE EFFECTS OF POWER FREQUENCY ELECTRIC AND MAGNETIC
FIELDS (PA-91-53)
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Index:  ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES
 
$$INDEX END ************************************************************
 
                                   NOTICES
 
$$N1 BEGIN *************************************************************
 
PREAPPLICATION MEETINGS:  ADULT AIDS CLINICAL TRIALS UNITS
 
RFA:  AI-91-07
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 0755015
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
The Division of Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome of the
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) is
sponsoring three preapplication meetings for prospective
applicants responding to RFA AI-91-07, Adult AIDS Clinical Trials
Units (NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 20, No. 18, May
3, 1991).  The purpose of these meetings is to provide a forum
where prospective applicants may obtain information on the
preparation and submission of applications in response to RFA
AI-91-07.
 
NIAID staff will discuss the structure and function of the
AIDS Clinical Trials Group and the structure of, and
elements to be included in, the applications.  NIAID
program, review, and grants management staff will be
available to answer questions.
 
The meetings will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the
following locations:
 
(1) June 3, 1991 - Bethesda Hyatt Regency, Bethesda, MD
(2) June 4, 1991 - Hyatt Regency at the San Francisco Airport
(3) June 5, 1991 - Hyatt Regency at the Dallas Airport
 
For further information contact:
 
Frederick H. Batzold, Ph.D. or
Ms. Debra Cockrell
Clinical Research Management Branch
Division of AIDS
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Telephone:  (301) 496-8214
 
Prospective
applicants are encouraged to request a copy of and review
the full RFA.  Please submit any written questions to:
 
F.H. Batzold, Ph.D.
DAIDS/NIAID
6003 Executive Blvd.
Rockville, MD  20892
 
$$N1 END ***************************************************************
 
$$N2 BEGIN *************************************************************
 
BIOLOGICAL FLUID DYNAMICS WORKSHOP:  MODELING FLOWS
WITH IMMERSED ELASTIC STRUCTURES
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 0710020
 
National Center for Research Resources
 
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) is conducting a
four-day workshop entitled, "Biological Fluid Dynamics
Workshop:  Modeling Flows with Immersed Elastic Structures,"
July 28-31, 1991.  This workshop is funded by a grant from the
Biomedical Research Technology Program, National Center for
Research Resources, National Institutes of Health.
 
This workshop will familiarize biomedical researchers with
computational methods for problems in biological fluid dynamics
and provide practice in applying supercomputing resources such
as the PSC's CRAY YMP/832 to such problems.  Previous
supercomputing experience is not necessary.  The workshop will
emphasize computer modeling of flow problems in which a fluid
interacts with an elastic or muscular boundary.  Examples of
such problems will include aquatic animal locomotion, blood
flow in the heart, and platelet aggregation.  A common
methodology will be presented that is applicable to problems of
this type.  The workshop leaders are  Lisa Fauci, Tulane
University; Aaron Fogelson, University of Utah; and David M.
McQueen, New York University.
 
This workshop includes an optional half-day session the
afternoon of Sunday, July 28, led by PSC staff members.  Topics
to be covered during the optional session include VAX/VMS and
UNICOS, the Cray version of the AT&T System V Unix operating
system.
 
Travel, meals, and hotel accommodations for U.S. academic
participants are supported by the grant.  Enrollment is limited
to 20 participants.  The deadline for submission of
applications is June 14, 1991.
 
For application forms and further information on this workshop
call or write:
 
Nancy Kiser
Biomedical Coordinator
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
4400 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA  15213
Telephone:  (412) 268-5206
Internet:  [email-masked]; Bitnet:  kiser@pscwpsca
 
$$N2 END ***************************************************************
 
                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN DK-91-06 FULL-TEXT ******************************************
 
KIDNEY DISEASE AND HYPERTENSION IN BLACKS:  PILOT STUDY
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DK-91-06
 
P.T. 34, FC; K.W. 0715115, 0755015, 0760013, 0760035, 0745070
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  September 5, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  October 18, 1991
 
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney
Diseases (NIDDK) through the Division of Kidney, Urologic
and Hematologic Diseases (DKUHD) invites cooperative
agreement applications to establish clinical centers and a
data coordinating center and supporting
laboratories/distribution center directed at conducting a
pilot study of antihypertensive drug therapy among persons
with kidney disease due to high blood pressure.  The primary
study population will be Black Americans.
 
BACKGROUND
 
End-stage renal disease (ESRD) is an important health
problem among Blacks Americans.  The incidence rate of
treated ESRD for Blacks is nearly four times that of
Whites.  The disparity between Blacks and Whites is
especially striking for hypertension-related ESRD.  The
incidence rate of ESRD with a diagnosis of hypertension, the
leading cause of renal failure among Blacks, is 6.5 times
greater than in Whites.  Since most, if not all, of the major
antihypertensive clincal trials conducted to date have
focused primarily on cerebrovascular and cardiovascular
events, a randomized controlled clinical trial is necessary
to define the clinical usefulness and possible renal
protective effects of long-term therapy with the major blood
pressure lowering drugs in patients, especially Blacks, with
hypertension responsible for their impaired renal function.
 
The Public Health Service is committed to achieving the
health promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Health
People 2000," a Public Health Service-led national activity
for setting priority areas.  This RFA, "Kidney Disease and
Hypertension in Blacks:  Pilot Study" is related to the
priority area of Diabetes and Chronic Disabling Diseases.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People
2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
OBJECTIVES AND SCOPE
 
The purpose of this Request for Applications (RFA) is to establish
four Clinical Centers, one Data Coordinating Center and
supporting laboratories and centers for drug distribution,
kidney biopsy, and measurement of renal function (glomerular
filtration rate or GFR).  The Clinical Centers will recruit,
provide treatment and follow-up patients with reduced kidney
function caused by high blood pressure.  The Data
Coordinating Center will collect, store, and analyze data
and specimens that are obtained.  It is also expected that
the Data Center will coordinate the activities of a Drug
Distribution Center, Kidney Biopsy Laboratory, and Central
GFR Laboratory.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants
to give special attention to the inclusion of women and
minorities in study populations.  If women or minorities are not
included in the study populations for clinical studies, a
specific justification for this exclusion must be provided.
Applications without such documentation will not be accepted for
review.
 
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the
cooperative agreement (UO1), which is similar to the traditional
NIH research grant.  It differs from a research grant in the
extent and nature of NIH staff involvement.
 
As a result of this announcement, it is anticipated that
five awards (four Clinical Centers and one Data Coordinating
Center) will be made under this RFA, at a funding level of
approximately $400,000 in total costs for the Data
Coordinating Center, and approximately $150,000 in total
costs for each Clinical Center.  However, the funding of
such applications is contingent on the actual availability
of funds, and the receipt of applications of sufficient
scientific merit.  Support for successful applications will
begin on July 1, 1992; total support for the project will be
for 33 months.  The current policies and requirements that
govern the review, funding and performance of cooperative
agreement programs of the NIH will prevail.  Additional
requirements for performance in this program are also set
forth by NIDDK and are outlined in the full RFA.
 
APPLICATIONS AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications will be reviewed initially by the Division of
Research Grants (DRG) for completeness and will be assigned
to a special NIDDK review group.  Evaluation for
responsiveness to the RFA is an NIDDK program staff
responsibility.  Applications that are judged non-responsive
will be returned to the appplicant.  Those applications
judged to be responsive will be
evaluated for scientific technical merit by an appropriate
initial review group convened by the NIDDK Review Branch.
The second level of review by the National Diabetes,
Digestive and Kidney Disease Advisory Council will make
recommendations regarding funding.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Applications must be submitted on form PHS 398 (revised
10/88) available in the Business or Research Grant Offices
of most academic or research institutions, or from the
Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants,
Room 449, Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard Avenue, National
Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892.
Applications will be accepted until close of business on
October 18, 1991.  No extension will be granted on the
application deadline.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Copies of the full RFA may be obtained from:
 
John W. Kusek, Ph.D.
Director, Clinical Trials Program
Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 621
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7133
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Nancy C. Dixon
Grants Management Office , DEA, NIDDK
Westwood Building, Room 649B
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7467
 
$$R1 END ***************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN HL-91-07 FULL-TEXT ******************************************
 
PROGRAM PROJECTS IN VASCULAR BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HL-91-07
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705015, 0745020, 0745027, 0745070, 0705065
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
Application Receipt Date:  October 15, 1991
 
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
(NHLBI) announces the availability of a Request
for Applications (RFA) on the above subject.  The
purpose of this initiative is to encourage
development of program projects featuring
innovative and interdisciplinary approaches to
vascular biology and medicine.  In particular,
combined basic and clinical collaborative programs
are required for translating the rapid advances in
vascular biology into diagnostic, therapeutic, and
preventive interventions for improving vascular
health.  This pertains to both the systemic and
pulmonary circulations.  For purposes of this
solicitation, vascular biology is defined as the
study of mechanisms of development and regulation
of blood vessels and integration of the knowledge
gained into an understanding of the physiologic
dynamics of the vasculature.  Vascular medicine
concerns itself primarily with the clinical
management of a wide variety of vascular diseases.
Its objectives are:  the clinical characterization
of all vascular diseases including arterial,
venous, and lymph in the cerebral, coronary,
pulmonary, aortic, renal, and peripheral vascular
beds; analysis of the pathogeneses of these
diseases including atherosclerosis, lipid
metabolic disorders, systemic and pulmonary
hypertension, peripheral vascular disease,
lymphedema, thrombosis, vasculitis, and
vasospastic disorders; and the development of
better diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventive
approaches to these diseases.  Investigators from
a variety of disciplines including, but not
limited to, atherosclerosis, cardiology, cell
biology, hematology, hypertension, molecular
biology, pulmonary medicine, radiology, vascular
biology, vascular medicine, and vascular surgery
are encouraged to form collaborations to meet the
goals of the RFA.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to
achieving the health promotion and disease
prevention objectives of 'Healthy People 2000,' a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority
areas.  This RFA, 'Program Projects in Vascular
Biology and Medicine,' is related to the priority
area of Heart Disease and Stroke.  Potential
applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People
2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or
"Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of
Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington,
D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the
Program Project grant.  Although approximately $7
million in total costs for this program is
included in the financial plans for fiscal year
1992, award of grants pursuant to this RFA is
contingent upon receipt of funds for this purpose.
It is anticipated that 5 grants will be awarded
under this program.  The specific number to be
funded, however, will depend on the merit and
scope of the applications received and the
availability of funds.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND
MINORITIES IN CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH
requires applicants to give special attention to
the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not
included in the study populations for clinical
studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications without
such documentation will not be accepted for
review.
 
Inquiries regarding this program and requests for
the complete RFA document should be addressed to
the appropriate program administrator:
 
Dr. David M. Robinson
Associate Director for Scientific Programs
Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 416
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5656
FAX:  (301) 496-9882
Bitnet:  DRW@NIHCU
 
Dr. Carol H. Letendre
Associate Director for Scientific Programs
Division of Blood Diseases and Resources
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 516
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8966
FAX:  (301) 402-1622
 
Dr. Carol E. Vreim
Associate Director for Scientific Program Operation
Division of Lung Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 6A16C
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7208
FAX:  (301) 496-9886
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Marie A. Willett
Chief, Heart and Vascular Grants Management Section
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 4A11C
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7255
 
$$R2 END ***************************************************************
 
                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-91-49 ****************************************************
 
MEDICAL RELEVANCE OF HUMAN HERPESVIRUSES TYPES 6 AND 7
 
PA:  PA-91-49
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715125, 1002045, 0755030
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
Application Receipt Dates:  June 1, October 1, February 1
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases invites
investigator initiated research applications to explore possible
etiological relationships, modes of transmission, and medical relevance
of two newly recognized human herpesviruses, HHV-6 and HHV-7.
 
BACKGROUND
 
The isolation, in 1986, of HHV-6 from human white blood cells was
followed in 1990 by the discovery of HHV-7 from a similar source.  HHV-6
has been identified as the cause of roseola (exanthem subitum).  Delayed
primary infection can be accompanied by an ill-defined syndrome having
persistent lymphadenopathy as its feature.  Recent observations suggest
an association of HHV-6 with pneumonia in transplant recipients and
hepatitis in young infants; it has been suggested that HHV-6 can act as
a cofactor in HIV pathogenesis.  Thus, the full disease spectrum with
which HHV-6 may be associated has not yet been recognized.  Based on the
behavior of other herpesviruses, it can be anticipated that HHV-6 and
HHV-7 may cause morbidity and mortality in immunocompromised
individuals.  The little that is currently known about HHV-6 and -7
suggests that they could behave like CMV.  If this is the case, the
development of vaccines and antivirals would be needed.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The goal of this program announcement is to encourage the submission of
applications oriented towards the coordinate development of the reagents
and information needed to assess the medical importance of HHV-6 and
HHV-7.  Thus, applications should propose at least one methodological
approach, e.g. development of nucleic acid probes or immunological
assays, and combine this approach with the assessment of clinical
specimens.  Epidemiological and clinical studies should be carefully
designed so that etiological associations can be meaningfully made.
Control populations should be carefully selected and matched with
patient populations.
 
Among the issues (not all inclusive) that need to be addressed are:  (1)
assessment of the etiological role of these viruses in human disease,
including clinical syndromes associated with primary, reactivated and
chronic infection, as well as roles as cofactors in other diseases, (2)
determination of the in vivo biological effects of these viruses, e.g.,
are they immunosuppressive, (3) identification of the site(s) of latency
of these viruses, and (4) determination of protective immune responses.
Applications may focus on one or more of these issues or on other issues
related to medical importance of these new human herpesviruses.
 
Applications whose sole emphasis is basic molecular biological studies,
such as studies of genome structure, are not appropriate for this
program announcement.  Because issues of virology, epidemiology, and
immunology may need to be addressed in a coordinate manner,
collaborations among investigators having expertise in these disciplines
are encouraged.  Biostatistical input is recommended for applications
where correlations between groups of individuals are proposed.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
This program will be supported through traditional research grants
(R01).  Awards will be administered under Public Health Service grants
policy as stated in the PHS Grants Policy Statement, DHHS Publication
No. (OASH) 82-50,000, revised January 1, 1987.  The total project period
for applications submitted in response to the Program Announcement
should not exceed four years.
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Non-profit and for-profit organizations and institutions, governments
and their agencies, and individuals are eligible to apply.  Foreign and
domestic institutions are eligible.
 
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need for
inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders and
conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research design
and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.
This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2,
A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects.
Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of
including the broadest possible representation of minority groups.
However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in
all research projects to include representation of the full array of
United States racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native Americans
(including American Indians or Alaskan Natives), Asian/Pacific
Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups should be
provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also apply.
Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues cannot be
identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However, every effort
should be made to include human tissues from women and racial/ethnic
minorities when it is important to apply the results of the study
broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application, the
application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants or
cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
Applicants from institutions that have a General Clinical Research
Center (GCRC) funded by the NIH National Center for Research Resources
may wish to identify the GCRC as a resource for conducting the proposed
research.  In such a case, a letter of agreement from either the GCRC
program director or principal investigator could be included with the
application.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURE
 
Applications must be submitted on the grant application form PHS 398
(Rev.  10/88, reprinted 9/89) and will be accepted on the following
receipt dates:
 
Receipt Date      Initial Review          Council Review
 
June 1            October/November        January/February
October 1         February/March          May/June
February 1        June/July               September/October
 
Application kits are available at most institutional business and
grant/contract offices or may be obtained from:  Office of Grants
Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, Westwood Building, Room 449,
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892.
 
On the first (face) page, item 2, of the application, the word "YES"
must be checked and the title and number of the announcement typed in
the space provided:  PA-91-49:  MEDICAL RELEVANCE OF HUMAN HERPESVIRUSES
TYPES 6 AND 7.  A brief covering letter should accompany the application
indicating that it is being submitted in response to this announcement.
A copy of this letter must also be sent to the contact person listed
below.
 
The original and six copies of the application must be sent or delivered
to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
REVIEW PROCEDURE
 
Applications in response to this announcement will be reviewed in
competition with other applications and in accordance with the
applicable National Institutes of Health peer review procedures.  The
initial review for scientific and technical merit will be made by a
review group of the Division of Research Grants, NIH; secondary review
will be by an appropriate national advisory council.  Funding decisions
will be based upon relative scientific merit, program relevance, and the
availability of appropriated funds.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Potential applicants are encouraged to contact:
 
Susan B. Spring, Ph.D.
Program Officer
Persisting Viral Diseases
Virology Branch
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 736
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7453
FAX:  (301) 402-0804
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Ms. Jane Unsworth
Grants Management Branch
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 718
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7075
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.856, Microbiology and Infectious Disease Research.  Grants will
be awarded under the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title
III, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and
administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations at 42 CFR
Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review.
 
$$P1 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P2 BEGIN PA-91-50 ****************************************************
 
MINORITY INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH TRAINING PROGRAM
 
PA:  PA-91-50
 
P.T. 44; K.W. 0720005, 0715040, 0715165, 0745027, 0785070
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
Application Receipt Date:  August 23, 1991
 
I. OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
 
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) announces a
program to support full time research training for investigative careers
at minority schools in areas related to cardiovascular, pulmonary, or
hematologic* diseases.  Minority schools seeking this support must have:
(1) graduate students or (2) health professional students who will take
a minimum of one year from his/her professional training or (3)
postdoctoral students.  The support mechanism will be the NIH
institutional research training grant (T32).  Copies of the program
guidelines are currently available from staff of the NHLBI, listed
below.
 
Grants in this program will be made to minority institutions, each of
which will cooperate with a research center that has well-established
cardiovascular, pulmonary, or hematologic research and research training
programs.  Each trainee will be placed with a mentor who is an
accomplished investigator at the cooperating research center and who
will assist the advisor at the minority institution in the trainee's
development and research plan.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of 'Healthy People 2000,' a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Program
Announcement, 'Minority Institutional Research Training Program,' is
related to the priority area of Heart Disease and Stroke.  Potential
applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents,
Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone
202-783-3238).
 
II.  BACKGROUND
 
Many studies have emphasized the need for minority individuals to
participate in modern research activities to develop their investigative
talents.  There are existing programs at the National Institutes of
Health that are designed to answer this need, such as the Minority
Biomedical Research Support Program, the Minority Access to Research
Careers Program, and the Minority Research Supplement Program.  Even
though these programs are successful in meeting their specific
objectives and career development goals, it is believed that graduate
students, health professional students, and postdoctoral students at
minority schools need further opportunities to develop biomedical and
behavioral research skills.
 
The Minority Institutional Research Training Program is designed to
offer research training grant awards in cardiovascular, pulmonary, and
hematologic research to minority schools to enable qualified graduate
students, health professional students, and postdoctoral students to
participate in research programs.  It is expected to attract students in
their developmental stages, increase their awareness of these diseases,
and to acquaint them with career opportunities in research.
 
III.  ELIGIBILITY
 
A. Minority School
 
The institution must be a medical or non-medical college, university, or
equivalent school in which students of minority groups underrepresented
in biomedical research including Blacks, Hispanics American Indians, and
Asian or Pacific Islanders comprise a majority or a significant
proportion of the school enrollment.
 
The institution must have staff and facilities required for the proposed
program.  The program director at the minority school will be
responsible for the selection and appointment of trainees and the
overall direction of the training program.
 
B. Trainees
 
The individuals to be trained must be citizens of the United States,
non-citizen nationals, or have been admitted to the United States for
permanent residence at the time of appointment for training, and have a
baccalaureate degree.  Trainees must be training at the
post-baccalaureate level in a relevant biomedical or behavioral science
and have made a strong commitment to completing a doctoral degree, be
enrolled in a minority health professional school, or have a doctoral
degree or equivalent in a biomedical or behavioral science.  The
Minority Institutional Research Training Program may not support studies
leading to a health professional degree.  Research trainees in clinical
areas are expected to devote their time to research training and to
confine clinical duties to those that are a part of the research
training.
 
C. Research Center
 
The minority institution must identify and collaborate with a research
center (medical school or comparable institution) that has strong,
well-established cardiovascular, pulmonary, or hematologic research and
research training programs.  Cooperation between institutions is needed
to provide each trainee with a mentor who is recognized as an
accomplished investigator in cardiovascular, pulmonary, or hematologic
research and who will assist the advisor at the minority institution in
the trainee's development and research plan.  Plans for summer training,
as well as academic year training, must be developed by the student and
advisor at the trainee's home institution in collaboration with the
mentor at the research center.  It is expected that both advisor and
mentor will guide the trainee through the initial training period and
continue this interaction throughout the award.
 
IV.  IMPLEMENTATION
 
Minority institutions will compete for research training grants of up to
five years duration.  Funds will be provided on an annual basis to
develop and maintain a stable research training experience for qualified
students.  Awards recommended for the continuation years will be made
contingent upon satisfactory progress during the preceding year, upon
the availability of funds, and the requisite level of authorization for
continued support of training activities.  Successful applicants may
compete for a second award of up to five years duration upon completion
of the initial grant period.  The minority institution will identify and
complete arrangements with an established cardiovascular, pulmonary, or
hematologic research center(s) before submitting an application.
Graduate trainees appointed to the grant may receive support for up to
five years.  Postdoctoral trainees appointed to the grant may receive
support for up to three years.  Trainees will have a faculty advisory at
the minority institution and together they will jointly select a faculty
mentor at the research center.  A written commitment to the training
plan by potential faculty mentors at the research center and the
department(s) involved, countersigned by both institutional officials,
must be part of the application.  The students may spend not more than
50 percent time at the research training center over the course of the
year, including a period of intensive research training during the
summer, but students are expected to pursue their research training on a
full-time basis devoting no less than 40 hours per week as specified by
the sponsoring institution in accordance with its own policies.
Students will be expected to meet the degree requirements at their
institution.
 
Because the research training environment provides a powerful context in
which to promote responsible research practices, all competing
Institutional National Research Service Award (NRSA) Research Training
grant applications must include a description of formal or informal
activities or instruction related to the responsible conduct of research
that will be incorporated into the proposed research training program
(NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 19, No. 30, August 17, 1990).
It is expected that for the first 18 months (July 1, 1990 to December
31, 1991) of implementation of this requirement, institutions will be
given considerable flexibility to develop innovative methods for
providing training in scientific integrity.
 
V. PROVISIONS OF THE AWARD
 
The trainees may be appointed for 9 - 12 months at any time during the
course of the budget period after he/she has been accepted as a
full-time student.  A strong interest in a cardiovascular, pulmonary, or
hematologic research career must be evident.
 
Funds may be requested for:
 
A. Stipends - Current stipend level for graduate and health professional
student trainees at all levels of experience is $8,800 per year.
Stipend levels for postdoctoral trainees are dependent on relevant years
of experience and are as follows:
 
           Years of              Per Annum
          Experience              Stipend
 
               0                 $ 18,600
               1                   19,700
               2                   25,600
               3                   26,900
               4                   28,200
               5                   29,500
               6                   30,800
               7 or greater        32,300
 
B. Tuition, Fees, when necessary, and Medical Insurance (individual
coverage), if regularly charged to all students regardless of their
source of support, are allowable trainee costs.  In addition, tuition
and fees charged by the research center during the summer or off-quarter
period are allowable.
 
C. Trainee Travel Costs - The institution may request funds to cover the
costs of trainee travel, including attendance at scientific meetings
that are necessary to the individual's training.  Funds for commuting
expenses that are clearly in excess of those incurred during the usual
home to work travel of the trainee may also be requested.
 
D. Training-Related Expenses - Funds are provided to partially defray
the cost of training such as staff salaries, equipment, research
supplies, staff travel, and other expenses.  The current level of
training-related expenses is $1,500 per annum per full-time graduate
student trainee or health professional student trainee and $2,500 per
annum for postdoctoral trainees.
 
E. Indirect Costs - The award will provide indirect costs based on 8
percent of total direct costs, exclusive of tuition and fees.
 
F. Payback Agreement - A National Research Service Award Payback
Agreement must be signed by each individual who is to receive a stipend
through an institutional award.  This form and the statement of
appointment are submitted annually at the time of each appointment.
These forms will be completed beginning with the initial period of
support even though the first 12 months is excluded from the cumulative
payback requirement.
 
VI.  REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
All applications responding to this announcement will be reviewed for
scientific and technical merit by the Research Training Review Committee
of the Division of Extramural Affairs, NHLBI, followed by a second level
review by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Advisory Council.
 
Review Criteria
 
The factors to be considered in the evaluation of the proposed training
program are:
 
  o  Adequacy of faculty, facilities, and resources for the proposed
     research training, both at the minority institution and the
     research center;
 
  o  Adequacy of the cooperative arrangements between the minority
     institution and the research program;
 
  o  Commitment of the relevant faculty and the two institutions to the
     goals of the training program;
 
  o  Procedures for evaluation of the impact of the program on the
     trainees involved.
 
VII.  APPLICATION PROCEDURE
 
Submit applications on form PHS 398 (rev.  10/88) using substitute pages
for the Institutional National Research Service Award.  This form is
available at the applicant institution's office of sponsored research.
An application may also be obtained from the three program offices of
the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute listed below.  When
submitting the application, identify the Minority Institutional Research
Training Program on the face page.  Special instructions for preparing
the application are included in the program guidelines available from
the NHLBI contacts listed below.  Applicants are strongly encouraged to
contact the appropriate individual listed under Program Information
prior to the preparation of the application.
 
A. Letter of Intent
 
Applicants are asked to submit a letter of intent to the NHLBI at least
one month prior to the announced receipt date to:
 
Scientific Review Administrator
Research Training Review Committee
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 550
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
A letter of intent is not binding and will not be considered in the
review of any application submitted subsequently.  The letter should
list the applicant institution and program, the name of the Principal
Investigator, the mentor at the research center, and the area of
research training proposed.
 
B. Applications
 
Send the completed application and four (4) signed exact photocopies by
the announced receipt date to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Two additional copies of the application must be sent to the Scientific
Review Administrator of the Research Training Review Committee listed
above.
 
Program Information
 
Information regarding this program may be obtained from:
 
John Fakunding, Ph.D.
Chief, Research Training and Development Branch
Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 3C04
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1724
 
Mary Reilly, M.S.
Division of Lung Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 640A
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7668
 
Helena Mishoe, Ph.D.
Division of Blood Diseases and Resources
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 5C04
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-4186
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Grants Operations Branch
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 4A15C
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7255
 
* Within NHLBI, the term "hematologic" covers research on
thrombosis and hemostasis, immunohematology, blood cell
disorders, sickle cell disease, blood resources including
blood component and derivative therapy, blood substitutes
and blood resource management, aspects of AIDS products in
AIDS prevention and treatment, and AIDS-related bone marrow
and hematologic disorders.  Other Institutes of the NIH are
responsible for research on disorders of white cells,
including the leukemias and other blood malignancies, and
basic immunology related to the lymphoid system.  Therefore,
NHLBI cannot provide support for such studies.
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance numbers 93.837, 93.838, and 93.839.  Awards will
be made under the authority of the Public Health Service
Act, Title III, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended;
42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grant policies and
Federal Regulations at 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems
Agency review.
 
$$P2 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P3 BEGIN PA-91-51 ****************************************************
 
MINORITY SCHOOL FACULTY DEVELOPMENT AWARD
 
PA:  PA-91-51
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0720005, 0715040, 0715165, 0745027, 0785070
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
Application Receipt Date:  August 23, 1991
 
I. OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
 
The Minority School Faculty Development Award is intended to:
 
1.  Encourage the development of faculty investigators at minority
schools in areas relevant to cardiovascular, pulmonary, and hematologic*
diseases.
 
2.  Stimulate cardiovascular, pulmonary, and hematologic disease
research, prevention, control, and education by offering minority school
faculty members the opportunity to enhance their research capabilities
in these areas.
 
II.  BACKGROUND
 
The proportion of biomedical investigators who are members of minority
groups is strikingly lower than the percentage of minority U.S.
citizens.  While 12 percent of the population is Black, less than 0.25
percent of persons holding a Ph.D. in science are Black.  The figures
are even lower for Black Ph.D.s in the biomedical sciences.
Furthermore, the number of doctorates, both M.D.s and Ph.D.s, in other
ethnic minority groups (such as Native Americans or Hispanics) is
proportionally lower than for Blacks.  Vigorous recruitment is underway
throughout the government, academic institutions, hospitals, research
institutions, and industry.
 
One method of addressing this problem is by increasing capabilities of
faculty members at minority schools.  In so doing, the pool of
biomedical and behavioral investigators in cardiovascular, pulmonary,
and hematologic research will be increased.  Furthermore, their graduate
and undergraduate students, most of whom will be minority individuals,
will become more cognizant of research opportunities in cardiovascular,
pulmonary, and hematologic disease areas.  The Minority School Faculty
Development Program is designed to address this problem by providing
research support to minority school faculty members who have the
interest and capabilities of doing modern, sophisticated research in
cardiovascular, pulmonary, or hematologic disease areas.
 
Despite a recent decline in the death rate from coronary heart disease,
cardiovascular disease continues to be the number one cause of death in
the United States.  Arteriosclerosis and hypertension account for almost
one million deaths annually.  An estimated 40 million Americans have
diseases of the heart and blood vessels, resulting in a large burden of
acute and chronic illness and disability.  Heart and blood vessel
diseases cost the economy more then $50 billion per year in wages, lost
productivity, and expenses for medical care.  A wide range of
opportunities for research into the causes, diagnosis, treatment, and
prevention of heart and vascular diseases has been enumerated in the
15th Report of the Director, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute,
Volume 2, Heart and Vascular Diseases (NIH publication No. 89-2206).
 
Diseases of the lung constitute a major national health problem.  About
one in every five persons has some chronic respiratory problem resulting
in an annual estimated cost to the nation of over $29 billion.  In the
newborn, the most common cause of death is neonatal respiratory distress
syndrome (RDS).  Neonatal RDS may be implicated in development of adult
respiratory diseases as well.  Of the adult respiratory diseases,
emphysema and chronic bronchitis are the major causes of death.
Fibrotic and immunologic lung diseases are major causes of lung problems
in the young adult and may contribute to the development of chronic
obstructive pulmonary diseases.  Asthma, emphysema, and chronic
bronchitis represent particularly pressing health problems affecting an
estimated 17 million Americans.  Moreover, the death rate and prevalence
of these conditions have increased at an alarming rate over the past 15
years.  As a disabling disease, emphysema is a leading cause of worker
retirement on Social Security disability payments.
 
Disorders of the blood, including congenital and acquired disorders and
deficiencies, are critical contributors to health problems of mankind.
As a consequence, they are major causes of death and disability in the
United States.  Disorders of the blood affect not only the blood itself,
but the tissues and organs through which it flows.  Recent research
findings have revealed the widespread involvement of thrombosis in the
pathology of numerous disorders, including the development of
atherosclerosis and coronary thrombosis.  Aggressive therapy for cancer
has resulted in the increased susceptibility of patients to bleeding
disorders and has increased the demand for blood products for
therapeutic purposes.  A significant segment of the population has
inherited disorders, such as sickle cell disease, hemophilia, or
Cooley's anemia, that require life-long hematologic attention and
support.
 
Other diseases may be acquired or represent temporary demands, such as
replacement therapy as a result of surgical or accidental trauma.
Research opportunities in blood resources and transfusion medicine range
from basic to clinical.  They cover such diverse topics as the
development of new blood products, methods to improve and assure the
stability and safety of these products, and ways to improve the benefits
and safety of transfusion.
 
III.  ELIGIBILITY
 
A. Minority School
 
A minority school is defined as a domestic medical or non-medical
college, university, or equivalent school in which (1) students of
minority ethnic groups, including Blacks, Hispanics, American Indians,
and Asian or Pacific Islanders, comprise a majority or significant
proportion of the school enrollment and (2) few or no members of its
faculty are actively engaged in biomedical research.  The commitment of
the institution to the faculty candidate's research and development must
clearly be presented in the application, including statement(s) from the
sponsor and the department chairman.
 
B. Faculty Development Award Candidate
 
Candidates for this award are minority school faculty members who (1)
are citizens of the United States, non-citizen nationals, or permanent
residents at the time of application, (2) have a doctoral degree or
equivalent in a biomedical or behavioral science, (3) wish to receive
specialized training in cardiovascular, pulmonary, or hematologic
research, and (4) have the background and potential to benefit from the
training.
 
Applicants may not apply for, or accept, other Public Health Service
research grant support or its equivalent at the time of Minority School
Faculty Development Award application, nor may they apply concurrently
for any other type of academic award.  However, they may apply for, and
accept, research grant support subsequent to award of the Minority
School Faculty Development Award.
 
C. Mentor at Research Center
 
Each candidate must also identify and complete arrangements with a
nearby mentor (within approximately 100 miles) who is recognized as an
accomplished investigator in the research area proposed and who will
provide guidance for the awardee's development and research plan.  Plans
for the intensive training during the summer period (two to three
months) as well as during the academic years must be developed with the
mentor.
 
The commitment of the mentor and her/his institution to both the summer
and academic year training period must be evidenced in the application.
A commitment from the mentor's department chairman must be included in
the application.
 
IV.  IMPLEMENTATION
 
The awards will be made to the minority institution on behalf of the
awardee.  Each award will have a duration of five years and is
non-renewable.  These awards may not be transferred to another
institution.  Funding beyond the first year of the grant is contingent
upon satisfactory progress during the preceding year.
 
The status of the minority school faculty development award program will
be reviewed periodically from the date of the first award to determine
whether the program should be continued.  In addition, to assess the
effectiveness of the program in fulfilling its objectives, the NHLBI
intends to follow the progress of the recipient for a period of five
years after completion of each grant to determine:  (1) the
investigator's professional affiliation(s), (2) his/her record of
subsequent grant or contract support, (3) his/her record of scientific
publications, and (4) the institution's research programs.
 
V. PROVISIONS OF THE AWARD
 
The mechanism of support will be the K14.
 
A. Salary
 
The awardee will receive salary support up to a maximum of $50,000 plus
fringe benefits per year for five years.  All funds must be used to
support the original awardee.  Support will be based upon the
candidate's actual salary and must be consistent with the established
salary structure of the minority institution for persons of equivalent
qualifications, experience, and rank.  The actual amount will be
determined by the proportion of effort devoted to this program.
Awardees must commit 100 percent of effort during summer and/or
off-quarter periods and at least 25 percent of effort during the
academic year.
 
Support for up to 10 percent of the mentor's salary during the summer
experience may also be requested.  Details of how or if this will be
needed must be agreed upon by the mentor's institution and included in
the application.
 
B. Research Support
 
Up to $20,000 per year will be provided for research support.  Details
regarding the apportionment of these funds between the minority
institution and the research center must be worked out with the mentor
at the research center and agreed to by representatives of both
institutions.  A statement of agreement must be provided in the
application.
 
These research support funds may be used for:
 
Equipment:  specialized research equipment essential to the proposed
program, in accordance with PHS policy, title to such equipment will
vest with the grantee institution;
 
Supplies:  consumable supplies essential to the proposed program;
 
Travel:  domestic travel for the awardee that is essential to the
proposed program;
 
Tuition and fees:  if essential to the awardee's individual research
development program; and
 
Other:  personnel, publication costs, computer costs, and other costs
necessary for the research program.
 
Indirect costs will be provided at a rate of 8 percent of the total
direct costs of each award, exclusive of tuition, fees, and expenditures
for equipment.
 
VI.  INCLUSION OF WOMEN IN STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need for
inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders and
conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group, together with a rationale for
its choice.  In addition, gender and racial/ethnic issues should be
addressed in developing a research design and sample size appropriate
for the scientific objectives of the study.  This information should be
included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2, A-D of the Research Plan AND
summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects.
 
Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of
including the broadest possible representation of minority groups.
However, NIH recognize that it may not be feasible or appropriate in all
research projects to include representation of the full array of United
States racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native Americans
(including American Indians or Alaskan Natives), Asian/Pacific
Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).  The rationale for studies on single
minority population groups should be provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also apply.
Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues cannot be
identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However, every effort
should be made to include human tissues from women and racial/ethnic
minorities when it is important to apply the results of the study
broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application, the
application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to the policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants or
cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.Clinical
research findings should be of benefit to all persons at risk of the
disease regardless of gender.  If further clarification of the policy is
needed or there are questions regarding the policy, please contact the
NHLBI staff listed below.
 
VII.  REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
All applications will be reviewed for scientific and technical merit by
the Research Training Review Committee of the Division of Extramural
Affairs, NHLBI, followed by a second level review by the National Heart,
Lung, and Blood Advisory Council.
 
Review Criteria
 
The factors to be considered in the evaluation of the proposed training
program are:
 
  o  the overall merit of the candidate's five-year plan for research
     and the development of research skills;
 
  o  the background and potential of the proposed candidate for
     development into an independent biomedical investigator;
 
  o  the candidate's commitment to a research career;
 
  o  the ability of both the minority institution and the training
     center to provide facilities, resources, and opportunities
     necessary for the candidate's research development;
 
  o  the qualifications, ability, and plans of the sponsor who will
     provide the candidate with the guidance necessary for career
     development in research.
 
VIII.  APPLICATION PROCEDURE
 
Submit applications on the research grant application form PHS 398 (rev.
10/88).  This form is available at the applicant institution's office of
sponsored research.  An application may also be obtained from the three
program offices of the NHLBI listed below.  When submitting the
application, identify the NHLBI Minority School Faculty Development
Award on line 2 of the application face page.  Special instructions for
preparing the application are included in the guidelines that must be
obtained from the program staff listed below.
 
A. Letter of Intent
 
Applicants are asked to submit a letter of intent at least one month
prior to the receipt date to:
 
Scientific Review Administrator
Research Training Review Committee
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 550
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
A letter of intent is not binding and will not be considered in the
review of any application submitted subsequently.  The letter should
list the applicant institution and program, the name of the Principal
Investigator, the mentor at the research center, and the area of
research training proposed.  Applicants are strongly urged to contact
the appropriate individual listed under program information prior to
submission of an application.
 
B. Applications
 
Send the completed application and four (4) signed exact photocopies by
the announced receipt date to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Two additional copies of the application must be sent to the Scientific
Review Administrator of the Research Training Review Committee listed
above.
 
Program Information
 
Information regarding this program may be obtained from one of the
following:
 
John Fakunding, Ph.D.
Research Training and Development Branch
Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 3C04
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1724
 
Joan Wolle, Ph.D.
Division of Lung Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 640
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7668
 
Helena Mishoe, Ph.D.
Division of Blood Diseases and Resources
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 504D
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6931
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, please contact:
 
Grants Operations Branch
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 4A15C
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7255
 
* Within NHLBI, the term "hematologic" covers research on thrombosis and
hemostasis, immunohematology, blood cell disorders, sickle cell disease,
blood resources including blood component and derivative therapy, blood
substitutes and blood resource management, aspects of AIDS products in
AIDS prevention and treatment, and AIDS-related bone marrow and
hematologic disorders.  Other Institutes of the NIH are responsible for
research on disorders of white cells, including the leukemias and other
blood malignancies, and basic immunology related to the lymphoid system.
Therefore, NHLBI cannot provide support for such studies.
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Domestic Assistance Nos.
93.837, 93.838, and 93.839.  Awards will be made under the authority of
the Public Health Service Act, Title III, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410
as amended; 42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grant policies and
Federal Regulation 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is
not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive
Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$P3 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P4 BEGIN PA-91-52 ****************************************************
 
RESEARCH ON MENTAL DISORDERS IN RURAL POPULATIONS
 
PA:  PA-91-52
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715129, 0403004
 
National Institute of Mental Health
 
The National Institute of Mental Health seeks applications for the
support of research and research demonstration projects on mental
disorders in rural populations.  This announcement supersedes the prior
announcement issued in March 1990 for "Research on Mental Disorders in
Rural Populations," and will govern competitive renewals for research
and research demonstration projects funded under the prior announcement.
 
Research issues of interest include:  the epidemiology of mental health
problems in rural populations; the availability, responsiveness,
effectiveness, and efficiency of delivery of clinical services to
persons in rural areas with mental disorders; effective outreach forms
of service delivery and mechanisms for coordinating diverse types of
care in rural areas; the roles of the general medical care sector in
serving mentally ill persons in rural areas; the structure and
functioning of the mental health service system in rural areas of