Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(21) 05/31/91 - P1/2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 May 91 16:09 EST

Hi Paul,
   This is the latest NIH Guide.  It will be forwarded in two parts.
There will also be a rfa coming over.  Please post this to the
NIH Listserver as: nihguide.910531
  Also, please let me know as soon as they are posted.
 Thanks.   Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19910531 V20N21 P1O2 ************************************
X-comment: RFAs described: DKHD-91-13
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 20, No. 21, May 31, 1991
 
$$INDEX BEGIN **********************************************************
 
                                   NOTICES
 
$$INDEX N1 *************************************************************
 
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS DISCOVERY AWARDS IN BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH:  CALL
FOR NOMINATIONS
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
 
                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$INDEX R1 *************************************************************
 
MASTER AGREEMENT FOR THE CLINICAL EVALUATION OF ANTIEPILEPTIC DRUGS
(RFP)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE
 
$$INDEX R2 *************************************************************
 
SAFE STIMULATION OF THE CENTRAL AND PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEMS FOR
NEURAL PROSTHESES (RFP)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE
 
$$INDEX R3 09/18/91 ****************************************************
 
RESEARCH TRAINING AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARDS IN NUTRITION AND
OBESITY (RFA DKHD-91-13)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES, CHILD HEALTH,
        HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
 
                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$INDEX P1 *************************************************************
 
MOLECULAR AND STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY OF HAIR AND ITS DISEASES WITH
SPECIAL REFERENCE TO ALOPECIA AREATA (PA-91-59)
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Index:  ARTHRITIS, MUSCULOSKELETAL DISEASES, SKIN DISEASES
 
$$INDEX P2 *************************************************************
 
MENTAL HEALTH RESEARCH ON HOMELESS PERSONS (PA-91-60)
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
 
$$INDEX P3 *************************************************************
 
HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH CONFERENCE GRANTS (PA-91-61)
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Index:  HEALTH CARE POLICY, HEALTH CARE RESEARCH
 
$$INDEX P4 *************************************************************
 
HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH PRIORITY AREAS FOR ACCELERATED SMALL GRANT
APPLICATION REVIEW (PA-91-62)
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Index:  HEALTH CARE POLICY, HEALTH CARE RESEARCH
 
$$INDEX P5 *************************************************************
 
CUTANEOUS MANIFESTATIONS OF HIV INFECTION AND AIDS (PA-91-63)
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Index:  ARTHRITIS, MUSCULOSKELETAL DISEASES, SKIN DISEASES
 
$$INDEX P6 *************************************************************
 
THE HEALTH AND EFFECTIVE FUNCTIONING OF OLDER RURAL POPULATIONS
(PA-91-64)
National Institute on Aging
Index:  AGING
 
$$INDEX END ************************************************************
 
                                   NOTICES
 
$$N1 BEGIN *************************************************************
 
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS DISCOVERY AWARDS IN BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH CALL FOR
NOMINATIONS
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 0710030
 
National Institutes of Health
 
The Christopher Columbus Medical Sciences Committee of the National
Institutes of Health (CCMSC/NIH) and the CCMSC/Genoa, under the auspices
of the Quincentenary Jubilee Commission, will award eight to ten prizes
for scientific discoveries that have contributed significantly to the
alleviation of disease and disability.  The prizes will be a one-time
award offer in conjunction with two scientific meetings that are being
held as part of the international activities celebrating the 500th
anniversary of the Old World discovery of the New World.  The CCMSC/NIH
activities are being co-sponsored with donations from private sources.
 
The Awards Subcommittee of the CCMSC/NIH hereby invites and encourages
nominations of outstanding scientists, of any nationality, from all
areas of science that have an impact on health, for this award.  The
closing date for nominations is 30 June 1991.  For information regarding
the nomination process and selection criteria, please contact:
 
Dr. James C. Hill
Deputy Director
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Chairman Awards Subcommittee
National Institutes of Health
Building 31, Room 7A03
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9118
 
$$N1 END ***************************************************************
 
                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN NIH-NINDS-91-10 *********************************************
 
MASTER AGREEMENT FOR THE CLINICAL EVALUATION OF ANTIEPILEPTIC DRUGS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  Master Agreement Announcement/RFP NIH-NINDS-91-10
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0740010, 0755015
 
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
 
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS),
NIH, is re-issuing the announcement, "Master Agreement for the Clinical
Evaluation of Investigational Antiepileptic Drugs."  The NINDS is
requesting proposals with the intent of awarding Master Agreements (MAs)
to sources capable of performing clinical evaluations of investigational
antiepileptic drugs in tolerability and preliminary efficacy studies,
controlled efficacy and safety trials, or both, in patients with
epilepsy.  Under this program, only MA holders will be eligible to
compete for future Master Agreement Orders (MAOs) that fund the actual
clinical evaluation of specific drugs as they become available for
testing.
 
This is not a Master Agreement Announcement/Request for Proposals
(MAA/RFP).  MAA/RFP No. NIH-NINDS-91-10 will be issued on or about May
31, 1991, with a tentative closing date for receipt of responses on July
31, 1991.
 
Award of MAs under MAA/RFP No. NIH-NINDS-91-10 will be for a period of
five years (estimated to be September 1991 through September 1996).  It
is anticipated that multiple MA awards will be made.
 
To receive a copy of MAA/RFP No. NIH-NINDS-91-10, please submit a
written request to the following address, and supply this office with
two self-addressed mailing labels:
 
Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Attention:  MAA/RFP No. NIH-NINDS-91-10
 
All responsible sources may submit a proposal that shall be considered
by the Government.
 
$$R1 END ***************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN NIH-NINDS-91-11 *********************************************
 
SAFE STIMULATION OF THE CENTRAL AND PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEMS FOR
NEURAL PROSTHESES
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NINDS-91-11
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0745047, 0740050
 
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
 
The Neural Prosthesis Program (NPP) of the National Institute of
Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH, is developing aids for the
neurologically handicapped.  These neural prostheses involve the use of
electrical stimulation for selective activation and/or inhibition of
neurons in the central and peripheral nervous systems.  The Contractor
will be required to exert its best efforts to develop neural stimulating
electrodes and to evaluate the effects of electrical stimulation on
neural and surrounding tissue in non-human animals.  It is anticipated
that one award will be made for a period of three years in January 1992.
 
This is not a Request for Proposals (RFP).  To receive a copy of the
RFP, please submit a written request to the following address, and
supply this office with two self-addressed mailing labels.  All
responsible sources shall be considered by the agency.  The RFP will be
issued on or about June 5, 1991, with proposals due on August 5, 1991.
 
Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Attention:  RFP No. NIH-NINDS-91-11
 
$$R2 END ***************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN DKHD-91-13 FULL-TEXT ****************************************
 
RESEARCH TRAINING AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARDS IN NUTRITION AND OBESITY
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DKHD-91-13
 
P.T. 34, 44; K.W. 0710095, 0765020, 0715145, 0720005
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
 
Application Receipt Date:  September 18, 1991
 
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
(NIDDK) and the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
(NICHD) invite applications for research training and career development
via the T32, K08, K11, and F32 mechanisms for physicians and basic
scientists in the areas of nutrition and obesity-related research.  The
intent of this Request for Applications (RFA) is to provide research
training and career development support to persons who have a commitment
to and an aptitude for research in nutrient metabolism, obesity, eating
disorders, and/or energy regulation, as well as maternal-fetal, infant,
and childhood nutrition.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000," a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
"Research Training and Career Development in Nutrition and Obesity," is
related to the priority areas of nutrition and obesity.  Potential
applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents,
Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone
202-783-3238).
 
OBJECTIVE AND SCOPE
 
Nutrition and obesity-related research needs and opportunities in the
early decades of the next century will require an increased number of
physicians and basic scientists with nutrition sciences training that
can be related to clinical nutrition problems.  The NIDDK and NICHD wish
to increase the number of physicians and basic scientists who can
conduct high quality research in these areas by providing training
support for qualified individuals in the areas of nutrient metabolism,
obesity, eating disorders, energy regulation, nutrition of low-birth
weight infants, nutritional antecedents of adult disease, and dietary
therapy of inborn errors of metabolism.  This RFA is aimed directly at
strengthening the national capacity for nutrition and obesity-related
research.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The mechanisms of support available are the National Research Service
Award Institutional Training Grant (T32), The National Research Service
Award Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship (F32), the Physician Scientist
Award (K11), and the Clinical Investigator Award (K08).
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study
populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
APPLICATION SUBMISSION
 
Applicants are encouraged to read the guidelines for each mechanism to
determine the one most suitable for their needs.  Guidelines are
available from the NIH Office of Grants Inquiries, Westwood Building,
Room 449, Bethesda, MD 20892 (telephone 301-496-7441).
 
Applications received by the deadline of September 18, 1991, will be
reviewed by a special review committee convened by the NIDDK and then
reviewed subsequently by the NIDDK and NICHD Advisory Councils.
 
A copy of the complete RFA and consultation may be obtained from:
 
Dr. Judith Podskalny
Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 3A15
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7455
 
or
 
Dr. Ephraim Levin
Medical Officer
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 637
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5593
 
For information on fiscal matters and payback requirements contact:
 
Mrs. Nancy C. Dixon
Supervising Grants Management Specialist
DDN/KUH Team Leader
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 649
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7467
 
$$R3 END ***************************************************************
 
                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-91-59 ****************************************************
 
MOLECULAR AND STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY OF HAIR AND ITS DISEASES WITH SPECIAL
REFERENCE TO ALOPECIA AREATA
 
PA:  PA-91-59
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715185, 1002004, 1002008, 0790015
 
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
 
PURPOSE
 
The Skin Diseases Program, National Institute of Arthritis and
Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS), supports research on the
structure, function, and diseases of the skin and its appendages.  This
program announcement is issued to encourage submission of research and
fellowship grant applications in the area of molecular and structural
biology of hair and its diseases with special reference to alopecia
areata.
 
BACKGROUND
 
The hair follicle is a complex three-dimensionally organized skin
appendage that cycles through stages of involution and regeneration over
time.  It is subject to hormonal influences and genetic effects as well
as regional variation with body site.  It is also subject to many
diseases, both hereditary and acquired.  The most common and often the
most debilitating among the acquired diseases is alopecia areata.  This
condition has been thought to be a manifestation of a tissue-specific
autoimmune disease, but definitive proof is still lacking.
 
The current state of knowledge of the molecular and structural biology
of hair and the state of research in alopecia areata was summarized at
two recent conferences cosponsored by NIAMS.  These conferences
emphasized the new knowledge being acquired in these areas of hair
research but, more importantly, pointed out the many areas in which
additional research is necessary to obtain a clear understanding of
normal and abnormal processes and disease states.
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The goal of this program announcement is to stimulate research in these
areas of hair biology and disease.  Some of the research objectives
appropriate for inclusion in applications responsive to this program
announcement are:
 
  o  Studies of molecular and structural biology of normal hair during
     its normal cycle;
 
  o  Hereditary diseases of hair to elucidate the underlying defect and
     the mechanism by which the disease state is expressed;
 
  o  Hormonal influences on normal and diseased hair;
 
  o  Etiopathogenesis and treatment of acquired hair diseases,
     particularly alopecia areata;
 
  o  Epidemiologic studies of diseases of hair.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Research mechanisms to support these investigations include research
grants (RO1), Clinical Investigator Awards (KO8), First Independent
Research and Transition (FIRST) Awards (R29), and Individual National
Research Service Awards (F32).
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need for
inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders and
conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research design
and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.
This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2,
A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects.
Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of
including the broadest possible representation of minority groups.
However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in
all research projects to include representation of the full array of
United States racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native Americans
(including American Indians or Alaskan Natives), Asian/Pacific
Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups should be
provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also apply.
Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues cannot be
identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However, every effort
should be made to include human tissues from women and racial/ethnic
minorities when it is important to apply the results of the study
broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application, the
application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants or
cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications in response to this announcement will be reviewed in
accordance with the usual Public Health Service peer review procedures
for research and fellowship grants.  Review criteria include
significance and originality of the research goals and approaches;
feasibility of the research and adequacy of the experimental design;
training, research competence, and dedication of the investigator(s);
adequacy of available facilities; and provision for the humane care of
animals.  Decisions will be based on initial review group and National
Advisory Council recommendations.
 
Applications must be submitted on form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88), for
research grant awards or on form PHS 416-1 (rev.  4/89) for fellowship
awards.  available in the business or grants office at most academic or
research institutions, and from the Division of Research Grants,
National Institutes of Health, Westwood Building, Room 449, Bethesda,
Maryland 20892, telephone (301) 496-7441.
 
Applications will be accepted in accordance with the submission dates
for new applications on a continuing basis:
 
February 1, June 1, October 1 for research grant applications.  January
10, May 10, September 10 for fellowship applications.
 
The phrase, "MOLECULAR AND STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY OF HAIR AND ITS DISEASES
WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO ALOPECIA AREATA, PA-91-59" must be typed on
line 2 of the face page of the application.  The original and six copies
of the PHS 398 or the original and two copies of the PHS 416-1 must be
sent or delivered to:
 
Grant Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
Westwood Building, Room 240
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892-4500**
 
For further information, investigators are encouraged to contact:
 
Alan N. Moshell, M.D.
Skin Diseases Program Director
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 405
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7326
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Diane M. Watson
Grants Management Officer
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Westwood Building, Room  407-A
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7495
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.846, Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Research.
Awards will be made under authorization of the Public Health Service
Act, Title III, Section 301 (c) (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC
241) and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations
42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review.
 
$$P1 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P2 BEGIN PA-91-60 ****************************************************
 
MENTAL HEALTH RESEARCH ON HOMELESS PERSONS
 
PA:  PA-91-60
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715095, 0715129
 
National Institute of Mental Health
 
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) announces the
continuation of an initiative to encourage investigator-initiated
research focusing on mental health and homelessness.  The target
population includes severely mentally ill adults who are homeless or at
risk of becoming homeless, homeless adolescents, and homeless families
with children who are severely emotionally disturbed or at risk of
emotional disturbance.
 
The purpose of this initiative is to accelerate the development of
knowledge about the prevalence, etiology, and treatment of homelessness
and mental disorders that can ultimately contribute to more effective
delivery of mental health services to homeless persons, reductions in
homelessness among severely mentally ill persons, improvements in mental
health status among homeless individuals, and better information on how
housing and mental health services can be appropriately integrated for
homeless, severely mentally ill persons.
 
This revised announcement supersedes the NIMH December 1988 program
announcement entitled "Research and Research Demonstrations on Homeless
Severely Mentally Ill Adults and Homeless Families with Children who are
at Risk of Severe Emotional Disturbance."  This announcement solicits
investigator-initiated applications under a range of funding mechanisms.
As part of the NIMH Public-Academic Liaison initiative, preference will
be given to applications that involve collaboration between academic
researchers and public sector agencies in planning and conducting
research.  Also, the Public Health Service (PHS) encourages applicants
to submit work plans that address specific objectives of Healthy People
2000.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000"
(Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000"
(Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent
of Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325
(telephone 202-783-3238).
 
General areas of interest include studies of processes affecting the
mental health of homeless persons, epidemiologic and clinical studies of
homeless populations, studies of mental health services to homeless
persons, studies exploring housing development for homeless mentally ill
persons, studies of systems issues related to the mental health care of
homeless persons, and methods and measurement development.
 
Areas of specific interest include service needs of homeless, severely
mentally ill persons dwelling in street or public transportation
settings; understudied homeless subgroups such as women, minorities,
adolescents, and families with children; the prevalence of a recent
history of physical and/or sexual abuse among homeless children or
adolescents, and studies of physical and sexual abuse as a risk factor
for homelessness; the co-occurrence of severe mental illness with
alcohol and/or drug disorders in homeless populations; and the
relationships among mental illness, HIV infection, and homelessness.
 
Generally, applications may be submitted by public or private nonprofit
or for-profit organizations such as universities, colleges, hospitals,
laboratories, units of State or local governments, and eligible agencies
of the Federal Government.  Women and minority investigators are
encouraged to apply.  Contact the NIMH staff person listed below for
further eligibility requirements.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need for
inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders and
conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research design
and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.
This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2,
A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects.
Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of
including the broadest possible representation of minority groups.
However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in
all research projects to include representation of the full array of
United States racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native Americans
(including American Indians or Alaskan Natives), Asian/Pacific
Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups should be
provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also apply.
Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues cannot be
identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However, every effort
should be made to include human tissues from women and racial/ethnic
minorities when it is important to apply the results of the study
broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application, the
application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants or
cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
Because of the special sensitivity of research focused on homeless and
homeless, severely mentally ill persons, particular attention should be
given by applicants to considerations of informed consent,
confidentiality, subjects rights and welfare, and subject risk.
 
Support for research may be requested through applications for a
research grant (RO1), small grant (R03), First Independent Research and
Transition (FIRST) award (R29), and program project award (P01).
Support for research projects that include funds for services may be
requested through applications for research demonstration grants (R18).
Other support mechanisms include the Predoctoral Individual National
Research Service Award (F31), Postdoctoral National Research Service
Award (F32), Institutional National Research Service Award (T32),
Scientist Development Award for Clinicians (K20), and Scientist
Development Award (K21).
 
Grant funds may be used for expenses clearly related and necessary to
conduct research, including both direct costs and allowable indirect
costs.  Only if the application is for a research demonstration project
(R18) may a substantial portion of grants funds be used to support costs
associated with treatment, rehabilitation, or other service programs.
Applicants must clearly distinguish services to be supported through
research demonstration funds and services supported through other
sources.
 
All research applicants must use the grant application form PHS 398
(rev. 10/88).  Applications may request support for up to 5 years for
research and up to 3 years for research demonstration projects.  Small
grant applications are limited to 2 years.  Annual awards will be made
subject to availability of funds and, for renewals, progress achieved.
Applications for fellowships must use the application form PHS 416-1
(rev.  4/89).
 
Applications will be received under the usual PHS receipt and review
schedule.  Applications will be reviewed by an initial review group
consisting primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical experts.
Applications will receive a second-level review by the appropriate
Advisory Council based on policy considerations as well as scientific
merit.  Only applications recommended for approval by the Advisory
Council may be considered for funding.
 
Subject to the quality of proposals and availability of funds, NIMH
hopes to make up to $3 million available for between 5 and 15 projects
funded in fiscal year 1992.
 
Inquiries regarding this announcement and requests for a copy of the
full announcement may be directed to:
 
Roger B. Straw, Ph.D.
Office of Programs for the Homeless Mentally Ill
Room 7C-06
Telephone:  (301) 443-3706
 
Further information on grants management issues may be obtained from:
 
Stephen J. Hudak
Grants Management Branch
Room 7C-26
Telephone:  (301) 443-4456
 
The address for both of the above is:
 
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
Nos. 93.242, 93.282, and 93.28.  Under the authority of Sections 301 and
520 of the Public Health Service Act (42 USC 241 as amended), and
subject to availability of funds, the National Institute of Mental
Health will accept applications in response to this announcement.
 
$$P2 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P3 BEGIN PA-91-61 ****************************************************
 
HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH CONFERENCE GRANTS
 
PA:  PA-91-61
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 0730050, 1004017
 
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
 
The Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR) announces
procedures and criteria for health services and medical effectiveness
research conference grants pursuant to Title IX of the Public Health
Service (PHS) Act and section 1142 of the Social Security Act and
invites applications for such grants.
 
TYPES OF CONFERENCES SUPPORTED - AHCPR awards grants for conferences and
workshops related to general health services research and medical
effectiveness research activities.  AHCPR supports conferences that
further the following activities:
 
  o  exchanging information on innovations in health services delivery
     and technology, and developing and improving methods of
     disseminating findings and information resulting from health
     services research activities of AHCPR;
 
  o  promoting the dissemination and adoption of medical practice
     guidelines, clinical research findings, and health services
     research data-related products;
 
  o  improving health services research design and methods; and
 
  o  developing research agendas for addressing significant health
     services problems.
 
For conference proposals requesting $50,000 or less in direct costs,
AHCPR is particularly interested in applications in areas described in a
separate notice appearing in this issue of the NIH Guide for Grants and
Contracts entitled "Health Services Research Priority Areas for
Accelerated Small Grants Review."
 
AHCPR also is particularly interested in conference grant applications
that pertain to the above areas and applications that have relevance to
the specific objectives of the publication "Healthy People 2000."
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (full
report; Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) (summary report; Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 20402-9325, telephone 202-783-3238.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS CONCERNING THE INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND
MINORITIES IN RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
AHCPR observes NIH and ADAMHA policy requiring applicants for research
grants to include minorities and women in study populations so that
research findings can be of benefit to all persons at risk of the
disease, disorder, or condition under study.  Under this policy, special
emphasis is placed on the need to include minorities and women in the
studies of diseases, disorders and conditions which disproportionately
affect them.  The policy is intended to apply to males and females of
all ages.  Although conferences will not conduct research per se,
research is usually a primary focus of AHCPR-supported conferences and
applications will be expected to demonstrate consideration for the
special needs of minorities and women.  This consideration should be
reflected in the design of the agenda, selection of topics and speakers,
as well as in the final product associated with the conference, whether
it is a research agenda or conference proceedings.
 
REVIEW PROCESS - Conference grant applications with direct costs of
$50,000 or less over the project period are reviewed for scientific and
technical merit by Federal and/or non-Federal experts serving as field
readers, rather than a standing advisory committee.  Section 922(d)(2)
of the PHS Act allows the Administrator of AHCPR to make adjustments in
the standard peer review process for applications with direct costs that
do not exceed $50,000.  Conference grant applications in excess of
$50,000 over the project period will be reviewed under standard peer
review procedures in accordance with section 922 of the PHS Act.
 
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS - Applications may be submitted by public or private
nonprofit institutions, units of State or local government, or
individuals.  For-profit institutions are not eligible for AHCPR grants.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES - Applications must be submitted in accordance
with section 924 of the Public Health Service Act and with the
instructions in the application kit and 42 CFR 67.13.
 
APPLICATION FORMS - All applicants, except units of State and local
government, must use form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88).  Applicants from State
and local governments may use Form PHS 5161, Application for Federal
Assistance (nonconstruction programs).  Application materials are
available at most institutional business offices and from:
 
Office of Scientific Review
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Parklawn Building, Room 18A-20
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3091
 
APPLICATION SUBMISSION - The original and six copies of form PHS 398
(rev. 10/88) must be sent to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
State and local governments using Form PHS 5161 must submit an original
and two copies of the application to the same location.
 
Those applicants submitting an application with direct costs in excess
of $50,000 must check item 2 of page 1 of the application "Yes," and the
PA number PA-91-61 and the title "Conference Grants" must be entered.
Those applicants submitting an application with direct costs of $50,000
or less must check item 2 of page 1 of the application "Yes," and the PA
number PA-91-62 and the title "AHCPR Small Grants Program" must be
entered.
 
SUBMISSION DEADLINES - The deadline for submission of applications
depends on whether or not the amount of direct costs over the project
period exceeds $50,000.
 
The first deadline for submission of applications in excess of $50,000
is June 1, 1991.  Thereafter, the following deadlines apply to
conference grants for any fiscal year:  February 1, June 1, and October
1.  Funding decisions will be made within approximately eight to ten
months after receipt of applications.
 
The first deadline for applications of $50,000 or less in direct costs
is September 15, 1991.  Thereafter, the following deadlines apply to
conference grants for any fiscal year:  January 15, May 15, and
September 15.  Funding decisions will be made within approximately six
months after receipt of applications.
 
Applications will be considered on time if they are received on or
before the established deadline dates or sent on or before the deadline
dates specified in this Notice, unless they are received too late for
orderly processing.  Applicants should request a legibly dated U.S.
Postal Service postmark or obtain a dated receipt from a commercial
carrier or U.S. Postal Service.  Private metered postmarks shall not be
acceptable as proof of timely mailing.  Late applications not accepted
for processing will be held for the next regularly scheduled review
cycle.
 
REVIEW CRITERIA - The following are the minimum criteria by which
applications for conference grant support are reviewed:
 
Significance of the proposed conference:  (1) The importance of the
issue or problem addressed in the delivery, cost, quality of, or access
to health services, or a methodological or technical issue in dealing
with the development and conduct of health services research; (2) the
implications of the conference's intended outcome(s) for future health
services research, for identifying or resolving methodological problems,
and for organizing and managing research activities; and (3) the
implications of the conference for technological innovations in health
care communications and dissemination of knowledge, information, or for
the effective utilization of the material communicated and disseminated.
 
Conference Design:  (1) The logic and soundness of the conference's
conceptual framework; (2) the role, composition, and expertise of
individuals and advisory groups to be utilized in planning or conducting
the conference, including the involvement of the potential users of the
information or other products of the conference; (3) the reasonableness
of the techniques proposed to ensure maximum participation and
interaction among participants, e.g., discussion in large and small
groups, prior distribution of papers, panels versus individual speakers,
and periods for questions and answers; (4) the specificity of the
proposed agenda of topics to be addressed, the proposed speakers and
panel members for each topic, their credentials, and the criteria for
their selection; and (5) the nature and quality of the informational
products to be disseminated as a result of the conference (such as
proceedings, research agendas, publications, training manuals, and other
products), and a plan for dissemination.
 
Personnel and Facilities:  (1) The experience and training of the
applicant indicating the ability to design, organize, and carry out a
health services research conference; and (2) the adequacy of the
facilities available for conducting the conference.
 
Appropriateness of Budget:  (1) The reasonableness of the overall cost
of the conference, given the proposed approach; and (2) the cost
effectiveness of the total proposed expenditure in terms of the probable
value of the conference results.
 
FUNDING AVAILABILITY - AHCPR anticipates that up to $300,000 may be
expended in a fiscal year for grants with direct costs of $50,000 or
less.  Grant applications for more than $50,000 in direct costs will
compete with the total AHCPR grant application pool for funding.  AHCPR
anticipates that it may award from one to two new conference grants per
year with direct costs in excess of $50,000.  Grants made pursuant to
this announcement will be reviewed and funded consistent with grant
application procedures and policies set out in 42 CFR Part 67, Subpart
A, and the PHS Grants Policy Statement.  Funding of a conference may be
made conditional on grantee acceptance of changes recommended by the
field readers or advisory committee members, including substantive
changes in the conference design and/or budgetary considerations.
 
CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE OF AWARD - Grantees must agree to:  (1) Allow a
limited number of AHCPR staff to attend or participate in the conference
(the number of staff will be negotiated at the time of award; they will
arrange for their own travel expenses); (2) hold the conference within
12 months of the date of the award; and (3) submit three copies of an
executive summary and three copies of a one-page abstract of the
proceedings to AHCPR not later than 60 days after the conference, and
provide AHCPR with three copies of the conference proceedings as soon as
they are available.
 
RELATED INFORMATION - The AHCPR grant program is described in the
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance as Numbers 93.226 and 93.180.
Executive Order 12372 is not applicable to AHCPR grants.  Additional
guidance on these conference grants is included in the AHCPR publication
Conference Grant Information.  Copies of this publication will be
provided in the application kit.  The information in this notice is
being published in the Federal Register.  AHCPR grants are governed by
regulations found in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 42, Part 67,
Subpart A. A copy of the regulations is included in the application kit.
 
For additional information, contact:
 
Margaret VanAmringe
Director, Center for Research Dissemination and Liaison
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Parklawn Building, Room 18A-10
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-2904
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Ralph Sloat
Chief, Grants Management Branch
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Parklawn Building, Room 18A27
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4033
 
$$P3 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P4 BEGIN PA-91-62 ****************************************************
 
HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH PRIORITY AREAS FOR ACCELERATED SMALL GRANT
APPLICATION REVIEW
 
PA:  PA-91-62
 
P.T. 34, 42; K.W. 0730050, 0730000
 
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
 
The Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR) announces
priority areas for small grant applications for health services
research, including conferences, pursuant to Title IX of the Public
Health Service (PHS) Act and section 1142 of the Social Security Act and
invites applications for such grants.  Small grant applications are
those with total direct costs of $50,000 or less over the project
period.  AHCPR is particularly interested in receiving small grant
applications from individuals new to the health services research field.
 
Small grant applications proposing a conference or research in the
priority areas identified below will be accorded an accelerated review.
This accelerated review will permit AHCPR to notify applicants of
funding decisions approximately six months after receipt of
applications.  The information in this notice, as well as future
changes, will be published in the Federal Register.  AHCPR is also
issuing a separate Federal Register notice and announcement in the NIH
Guide for Grants and Contracts with additional information pertaining to
all conference grant proposals, including those in excess of $50,000.
 
Research priority areas, including conferences, that qualify small grant
proposals for accelerated review are:
 
1.  Research on health care services for underserved/ disadvantaged
populations, e.g., minority health issues, rural health issues, methods
to improve access;
 
2.  Research on costs, access, and quality of care for the
uninsured/underinsured;
 
3.  Research on health care services for individuals with HIV
infections, including issues related to costs, access, and quality of
care delivered to such individuals;
 
4.  Research on medical liability issues, e.g., determinants of, or
alternative approaches to reduce medical liability;
 
5.  Research on clinical practice-oriented primary care; that describes
the natural history and the management of conditions commonly
encountered in primary care practice; and
 
6.  Conferences on the areas specified above as well as other health
services research topics of general interest.
 
These priority areas supersede previously announced priorities for small
grant applications.  Comments on the priorities are being solicited
through the Federal Register.  Any changes in priorities required to
address National concerns will be announced before becoming effective.
 
If the application submitted in response to this RFA is substantially
similar to a research grant application already submitted to the NIH for
review, but has not yet been reviewed, the applicant will be asked to
withdraw either the pending application or the new one.  Simultaneous
submission of identical applications will not be allowed, nor will
essentially identical applications be reviewed by different review
committees.  Therefore, an application cannot be submitted in response
to this RFA that is essentially identical to one that has already been
reviewed.  This does not preclude the submission of substantial
revisions of applications already reviewed, but such applications must
include an introduction addressing the previous critique.
 
AHCPR urges applicants to submit priority consideration small grant
applications that address specific objectives of the publication
"Healthy People 2000."  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of
"Healthy People 2000" (full report; Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) (summary
report; Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of
Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325,
telephone 202-783-3238.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND
MINORITIES IN RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
AHCPR observes NIH and ADAMHA policy requiring applicants for clinical
research grants to include minorities and women in study populations so
that research findings can be of benefit to all persons at risk of the
disease, disorder or condition under study; special emphasis should be
placed on the need for inclusion of minorities and women in studies of
diseases, disorders and conditions which disproportionately affect them.
 
The composition of the proposed study group must be described in terms
of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research design
and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.
This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2,
A-D of the Research Plan and summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects,
or in the program narrative section of Form PHS 5161 for State and local
governments.
 
If the required information is not contained in the application, the
application will be returned.  All applications for research submitted
to AHCPR are required to address these policies.  AHCPR will not award
grants that do not comply with these policies.
 
REVIEW PROCESS - The accelerated review process involves technical and
scientific review by Federal and/or non-Federal experts serving as field
readers, rather than a standing advisory committee.  Section 922(d)(2)
of the PHS Act allows the Administrator of AHCPR to make adjustments in
the usual peer review process for applications whose direct costs do not
exceed $50,000.
 
Small grant proposals submitted for research on topics not specified
above, or for research conferences in excess of $50,000, will not be
accepted for expedited review, although they may be eligible for the
established AHCPR peer review process by a committee of non-Federal
experts.  The final determination as to whether an application qualifies
for expedited review is made by AHCPR, based on the application's
consistency with the above-listed priority areas.  If AHCPR determines
that an application intended by the applicant for expedited review is
not so qualified, the application will be held for the next regular
application deadline for routine grants receipt and peer review
procedures.
 
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS - Applications may be submitted by public or private
nonprofit institutions, units of State or local government, or
individuals.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES - Applications must be submitted in accordance
with Section 924 of the PHS Act and with instructions in the application
kit and 42 CFR 67.13.
 
APPLICATION FORMS - All applicants, except units of State and local
governments, must use form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88).  Applicants from State
and local governments may use form PHS 5161, Application for Federal
Assistance (nonconstruction programs).  Grant application materials and
instructions are available from:  Office of Scientific Review, Office of
Planning and Resource Management, AHCPR, 5600 Fishers Lane, Room 18A-20,
Rockville, Maryland 20857, telephone (301) 443-3091.
 
APPLICATION SUBMISSION - To receive accelerated review, Item 2 of page 1
of the application should be checked "Yes", and the PA number PA-91-62
and the title "AHCPR Small Grants Program" should be entered.
 
The original and six copies of the application must be sent to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
State and local governments using form DHHS 5161 must submit the
original and two copies of the completed application form to the same
location.
 
SUBMISSION DEADLINES - The first deadline for receipt of priority and
conference small grant applications is September 15, 1991.  Thereafter,
the following deadlines for receipt of applications are January 15, May
15, and September 15 for any year.
 
Applications will be considered on time if they are received on or
before the established deadline dates or sent on or before the deadline
dates specified in this Notice, unless they are received too late for
orderly processing.  Applicants should request a legibly dated U.S.
Postal Service postmark or obtain a dated receipt from a commercial
carrier or U.S. Postal Service.  Private metered postmarks shall not be
acceptable as proof of timely mailing.  Late applications not accepted
for processing will be held for the next regularly scheduled review
cycle.
 
REVIEW CRITERIA - Research grant applications will be reviewed according
to the following criteria:  (1) The significance and originality from a
scientific or technical standpoint of the goals of the project; (2) the
adequacy of the methodology proposed to carry out the project; (3) the
availability of data or the proposed plan to collect data required in
the analysis; (4) the adequacy and appropriateness of the plan for
organizing and carrying out the project; (5) the qualifications of the
Principal Investigator and the proposed staff; (6) the reasonableness of
the proposed budget in relation to the proposed project; (7) the
adequacy of the facilities and resources available to the grantee; and
(8) the adequacy of steps proposed to protect human subjects, as
appropriate.
 
Conference grant applications will be reviewed according to the
following additional criteria:
 
Significance of the Proposed Conference:  (1) The importance of the
issue or problem addressed in the delivery, cost, quality of, or access
to health services, or a methodological or technical issue in dealing
with the development and conduct of health services research; (2) the
implications of the conference's intended outcome(s) for future health
services research, for identifying or resolving methodological problems,
and for organizing and managing research activities; and (3) the
implications of the conference for technological innovations in health
care communications and dissemination of knowledge, information, or for
the effective utilization of the material communicated and disseminated.
 
Conference Design:  (1) The logic and soundness of the conference's
conceptual framework; (2) the role, composition, and expertise of
individuals and advisory groups to be utilized in planning or conducting
the conference, including the involvement of the potential users of the
information or other products of the conference; (3) the reasonableness
of the techniques proposed to ensure maximum participation and
interaction among participants, e.g., discussion in large and small
groups, prior distribution of papers, panels versus individual speakers,
and periods for questions and answers; (4) the specificity of the
proposed agenda of topics to be addressed, the proposed speakers and
panel members for each topic, their credentials, and the criteria for
their selection; and (5) the nature and quality of the informational
products to be disseminated as a result of the conference (such as
proceedings, research agendas, publications, training manuals, and other
products), and a plan for dissemination.
 
Personnel and Facilities:  (1) The experience and training of the
applicant indicating the ability to design, organize, and carry out a
health services research conference; and (2) the adequacy of the
facilities available for conducting the conference.
 
Appropriateness of Budget:  (1) The reasonableness of the overall cost
of the conference, given the proposed approach; and (2) the cost
effectiveness of the total proposed expenditure in terms of the probable
value of the conference results.
 
FUNDING AVAILABILITY - AHCPR expects to award up to $1 million per year
for all small grants.
 
RELATED INFORMATION - The AHCPR grant program is described in the
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance as numbers 93.226 and 93.180.
Applications are not subject to Executive Order 12372.  All grants
funded under this announcement are subject to grant regulations set out
in 42 CFR Part 67, Subpart A, and the PHS Grants Policy Statement.
 
For additional information on research priority areas specified in this
notice, contact:
 
Center for General Health Services
Extramural Research
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
2101 East Jefferson Street, Room 678
Rockville, MD  20852-4993
Telephone:  (301) 443-2345
 
Specific individuals for each area are as follows (address is same as
above):
 
o Rural health issues:
Carole D. Dillard
Telephone:  (301) 443-6990
 
o Minority health issues:
Frantz C. Wilson
Telephone:  (301) 443-2080
 
o Cost, access, and quality of care for the uninsured/underinsured:
Fred J. Hellinger, Ph.D.
Telephone:  (301) 443-6990
 
o HIV/AIDS issues:
Melford Henderson
Telephone:  (301) 443-6990
 
o Medical liability issues:
Gary J. Young, J.D.
 
o Clinical practice-oriented primary care:
Carolyn Clancy, M.D.
Telephone:  (301) 443-2080
 
For additional information on program aspects on conferences, contact:
 
Margaret VanAmringe
Director, Center for Research Dissemination and Liaison
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Parklawn Building, Room 18A-10
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-2904
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Ralph Sloat
Chief, Grants Management Branch
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Parklawn Building, Room 18A27
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4033
 
$$P4 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P5 BEGIN PA-91-63 ****************************************************
 
CUTANEOUS MANIFESTATIONS OF HIV INFECTION AND AIDS
 
PA:  PA-91-63
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715120, 0715185
 
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
 
The Skin Diseases Program supports research on the structure, function,
and diseases of skin.  This program announcement is to encourage
submission of research grant applications in the area of cutaneous
manifestations of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection and
diseases, including AIDS, that are caused by HIV infection.  Research
grant applications may be basic, clinical, or epidemiologic.  Research
mechanisms to support these studies include investigator-initiated
research grants (R01), Clinical Investigator Awards (K08), First
Independent Research and Transition (FIRST) Awards (R29), and Individual
National Research Service Awards (F32).
 
The vast majority of patients with AIDS manifest cutaneous disease at
some time during their illness.  Patients with HIV infection not meeting
the criteria for the diagnosis of AIDS also frequently manifest
cutaneous disease.  In addition, an exanthem that is associated with
initial HIV infection in humans has been described; it precedes
seroconversion to HIV positivity by weeks to months.  The skin diseases
seen in HIV infection encompass diseases for which the pathogenesis has
yet to be elucidated, including psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis;
infectious diseases such as candidiasis and viral and bacterial
infections; and malignancies, particularly Kaposi's sarcoma.
 
A previous program announcement (NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts,
Vol. 17 No. 11, March 25, 1988) was published to stimulate research in
this area.  This program announcement is designed to further encourage
research grant applications to investigate basic, clinical, and
epidemiologic aspects of these diverse cutaneous manifestations of HIV
infection.  Projects may be oriented specifically towards the cutaneous
manifestations of HIV infection.  They may also be oriented towards
utilizing the high incidence of skin disease in the HIV-infected and
AIDS populations to investigate the pathogenesis of the idiopathic skin
disease.  Thus, we expect to obtain new information relevant to
idiopathic skin diseases as well as a better understanding of the
coexistence of AIDS and skin disease.
 
Among the broad spectrum of basic research projects encouraged are
studies of disease pathophysiology and genetics.  Clinical studies may
include prevention of morbidity and mortality or amelioration of
cutaneous complications.  Epidemiologic studies may focus on the
etiology, risk factors for disease development and severity, natural
history of disease, and prognosis for developing disease.  This includes
descriptive studies of incidence, prevalence, morbidity, and mortality.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need for
inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders and
conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research design
and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.
This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2,
A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects.
Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of
including the broadest possible representation of minority groups.
However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in
all research projects to include representation of the full array of
United States racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native Americans
(including American Indians or Alaskan Natives), Asian/Pacific
Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups should be
provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also apply.
Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues cannot be
identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However, every effort
should be made to include human tissues from women and racial/ethnic
minorities when it is important to apply the results of the study
broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application, the
application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants or
cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
Investigators are encouraged to work with existing, or proposed,
longitudinal data collection resources and cohorts of patients.
Populations that may be included are those at increased risk for HIV
infection, as well as HIV-positive cohorts who are clearly defined by
their source of exposure.  Investigators are encouraged to work with
existing patient cohorts, such as the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study
(MACS), The HIV Pulmonary Complication Study, and the AIDS Clinical
Trials Group.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Nonprofit organizations and institutions, governments and their
agencies, for-profit organizations, and individuals are eligible to
apply.
 
DEADLINE
 
Applications will be accepted in accordance with receipt dates for
unsolicitated AIDS R01 and R29 applications:  January 2, May 1, and
September 1 of each year.  AIDS investigator-initiated applications
received on these dates by the Division of Research Grants will be
subjected to expedited review.  Applicants for F32 awards must submit
applications to meet the receipt dates listed in the instructions for
those mechanisms.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES AND CRITERIA
 
All applications, except F32s, must be submitted on form PHS 398, rev.
10/88.  Form PHS 416-1 must be used to submit F32 applications.
Application kits are available at the business or grants and contracts
office at most research and academic institutions.  Additional
application kits may be obtained from the Office of Grants Inquiries,
Division of Research Grants, NIH, Westwood Building, Room 449, Bethesda,
MD 20892, telephone (301) 496-7441.  The phrase, "Cutaneous
Manifestations of HIV Infection and AIDS, PA-91-63" must be typed at
item 2 of the first page of the application form 398 or item 3 of the
form 416-1.  The original and 24 copies of an R01 or R29 application
submitted for expedited review, or the original and 2 copies of a
fellowship application must be sent to:
 
Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD 20892**
 
Applications in response to this solicitation will be reviewed on a
nationwide basis in competition with other research grant applications
in accord with the expedited NIH peer review procedures for AIDS-related
research.  In order to expedite the review, PHS human subject
certifications and animal welfare verifications must be submitted with
the applications.  Applications will first be reviewed for technical
merit by initial review groups and then by the appropriate national
advisory council.  The review criteria customarily employed by the NIH
for research grant applications will prevail.
 
Applicants from institutions that have a General Clinical Research
Center (GCRC) funded by the NIH National Center for Research Resources
may wish to identify the GCRC as a resource for conducting the proposed
research.  In such a case, a letter of agreement from the Program
Director of the GCRC must be included with the application material.
 
All PHS and NIH grant policies governing research project grants apply
to applications received in response to this program announcement.
Applications will be referred in accordance with normal procedures of
the NIH Division of Research and Grants.
 
For further information contact:
 
Dr. Alan N. Moshell
Director, Skin Diseases Program
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 405
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (30l) 496-7326
 
Reva C. Lawrence, M.P.H.
Epidemiology/Data Systems Program Officer
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Building 31, Room 4C13
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0434
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Diane M. Watson
Grants Management Officer
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Westwood Building, Room  407-A
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7495
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.846, Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Research.
Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service
Act, Title III, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241)
and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42
CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review.
 
$$P5 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P6 BEGIN PA-91-64 ****************************************************
 
THE HEALTH AND EFFECTIVE FUNCTIONING OF OLDER RURAL POPULATIONS
 
PA:  PA-91-64
 
P.T. 34, 44; K.W. 0710010, 0417000, 0408006, 0414000, 0413001, 0730000
 
National Institute on Aging
 
I. BACKGROUND
 
The National Institute on Aging (NIA) invites research and research
training grant applications on the social, economic, psychological,
environmental, and biomedical factors affecting the aging processes and
the health and effective functioning of older people in rural areas.
Recent governmental and non-governmental reports highlight the special
health-care and other services needs of rural people and especially
those who are old.  People in rural areas are more likely than their
urban counterparts to be in fair or poor health, to suffer from chronic
or serious illness, to be without a regular source of health care and
health insurance.  Moreover, a higher proportion of deaths occur among
the nonmetropolitan than the metropolitan population over 65 years of