Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(22) 06/07/91
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 91 09:31 EST

Hi Paul,
   There will be one part of the NIH Guide this week and three RFAs.
  Please post this one as:  NIHGUIDE.910607
     Thanks.   Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19910607 V20N22 P1O1 ************************************
X-comment: RFAs described: DE-91-05, DK-91-11, DK-91-12
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 20, No. 22, June 7, 1991
 
$$INDEX BEGIN **********************************************************
 
                                   NOTICES
 
$$INDEX N1 *************************************************************
 
ANIMAL WELFARE EDUCATION PROGRAM
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$INDEX R1 11/20/91 ****************************************************
 
NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD - INSTITUTIONAL TRAINING APPLICATIONS
(RFA DE-91-05)
National Institute of Dental Research
Index:  DENTAL RESEARCH
 
$$INDEX R2 02/11/92 ****************************************************
 
DIABETES AND ENDOCRINOLOGY RESEARCH CENTERS (RFA DK-91-11)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES
 
$$INDEX R3 12/20/91 ****************************************************
 
DIABETES RESEARCH AND TRAINING CENTERS (RFA DK-91-12)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$INDEX P1 *************************************************************
 
MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF SKELETAL MUSCLE AND ITS DISEASES (PA-91-65)
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Index:  ARTHRITIS, MUSCULOSKELETAL DISEASES, SKIN DISEASES

                                    ERRATA
 
$$INDEX E1 *************************************************************
 
NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS WORKSHOP FOR BIOMEDICAL
RESEARCHERS
National Center for Research Resources
Index:  RESEARCH RESOURCES
 
$$INDEX E2 *************************************************************
 
AVAILABILITY OF RESOURCE FOR DIETARY INTAKE AND NUTRITION RESEARCH
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
 
$$INDEX E3 *************************************************************
 
CURRENTLY ACTIVE NCI PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX E4 *************************************************************
 
MICROSTIMULATORS AND MICROTRANSDUCERS FOR FUNCTIONAL NEUROMUSCULAR
STIMULATION (RFP)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE
 
$$INDEX END ************************************************************
 
                                   NOTICES
 
$$N1 BEGIN *************************************************************
 
ANIMAL WELFARE EDUCATION PROGRAM
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 1014003, 0201011
 
National Institutes of Health
 
The National Institutes of Health (NIH), Office for Protection from
Research Risks (OPRR), Division of Animal Welfare is cosponsoring with
the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington, an animal welfare
education program entitled, "Resolving the Ethical Dilemmas in Animal
Use Protocol Review:  How to Increase Humaneness Without Weakening the
Science."  The one and a half day workshop will be held on September
12-13, 1991 at the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza, Sixth and Seneca at Freeway
Park, 1113 6th Avenue, Seattle, WA.
 
The tool used by philosophers to solve ethical problems known as
casuistry will be introduced and applied to protocol reviews involving
transgenic animals, withholding treatment from controls, and the use of
death as an endpoint in studies.  The workshop will explore contemporary
issues and how protocol reviews can address humane considerations
without weakening the science.  The agenda will also include
presentations from the Public Health Service and United States
Department of Agriculture representatives on the policies and
regulations related to the humane care and use of laboratory animals.
 
The workshop is open to institutional administrators, Institutional
Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) members, laboratory animal
veterinarians, scientific investigators, and other institutional staff
sharing responsibility for the management of a sound institutional
animal care and use program.
 
For further information, please contact:
 
University of Washington Continuing Medical Education
Telephone:  (206) 543-1050 or
            (800) 869-2633
FAX:  (206) 543-3195
 
For information concerning future NIH, OPRR Animal Education Workshops,
please contact:
 
Mrs. Roberta Sonneborn
Telephone:  (301) 496-7163
FAX:  (301) 402-0527
 
$$N1 END ***************************************************************
 
                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN DE-91-05 FULL-TEXT ******************************************
 
NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD - INSTITUTIONAL TRAINING APPLICATIONS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DE-91-05
 
P.T. 44; K.W. 0715148, 0404000, 0785040, 0715008
 
National Institute of Dental Research
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  October 21, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  November 20, 1991
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Dental Research (NIDR) invites applications
from domestic, private or public, nonprofit institutions proposing
institutional training programs in basic and clinical sciences
pertaining to:  (1) oral soft tissue diseases, including oral cancer,
oral manifestations of AIDS, and oral herpes simplex virus (HSV)
infection; and (2) behavioral science research in dentistry.
Applications pertaining to other areas of oral health research are also
acceptable.  Proposed training must be relevant to the goals of the
NIDR, as described in the NIDR Long-Range Research Plan for the
Nineties, "Broadening the Scope".
 
The primary objective of these training programs is to develop highly
qualified, clinical investigators by supporting postdoctoral training of
individuals with DDS, DMD, or equivalent clinical degrees, who are
committed to a career in oral health research.  Applications may include
pre- and postdoctoral training for basic scientists and or short-term
training for dental students in the proposed programs.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000," a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Request for
Applications (RFA) is related to the priority area of oral health.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of
Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325
(telephone 202-783-3238).
 
The NIDR expects to make five new and/or renewal institutional training
awards in response to this RFA.  Institutional awards are made for five
years and are renewable.  Only one training award will be made to an
institution unless the training programs are in distinctly different
areas of oral health research.
 
This RFA is for a single competition with a receipt date of November 20,
1991.
 
LEVELS OF TRAINING
 
Applications will be accepted to provide training at one or more of the
following levels, given in priority order:  (1) dentists pursuing a
Ph.D. or equivalent degree in basic science; (2) dentists pursuing
postdoctoral research training; (3) baccalaureate degree holders
pursuing a Ph.D. or equivalent degree; (4) Ph.D. degree holders pursuing
postdoctoral research training; (5) pre-dental degree students pursuing
a short-term research experience, usually during, but not limited to,
the summer months.  Attention must be given to recruiting women and
individuals from minority groups that are underrepresented, nationally,
in these sciences.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications will be processed as follows:
 
Application        Initial Review      Council     Earliest
Receipt Date       Group Meeting       Meeting     Award Date
 
November 20         Feb/March          May/June      July
  1991                 1992              1992        1992
 
Applications will be evaluated for scientific and technical merit by the
NIDR Special Grants Review Committee.  Site visits may be involved.
Secondary review will be by the National Advisory Dental Research
Council.  Funding decisions will be made based on their recommendations,
the need for research personnel in specified program areas, and the
availability of funds.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study
populations for clinical studies, a special justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
It is recommended that prospective applicants contact program staff
early in the planning phase of application preparation and submit a
letter of intent by October 21, 1991.  A letter of intent is not binding
nor is it a prerequisite for acceptance of an application.  Applications
must be prepared on grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88).
 
Inquiries, requests for copies of the full RFA, and letters of intent
should be directed to:
 
Thomas M. Valega, Ph.D.
Special Assistant for Manpower Development and Training
Extramural Program
National Institute of Dental Research
Westwood Building, Room 510
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6324
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Theresa Ringler
Grants Management Officer
National Institute of Dental Research
Westwood Building, Room 518
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7437
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.122.  National Research Service Awards are made under
authorization of the Public Health Service Act as amended (42 USC 288).
Title 42 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 66, is applicable to
this program.
 
$$R1 END ***************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN DK-91-11 FULL-TEXT ******************************************
 
DIABETES AND ENDOCRINOLOGY RESEARCH CENTERS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DK-91-11
 
P.T. 04; K.W. 0715075, 0785050, 0710030
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  January 10, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  February 11, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
(NIDDK) invites applications for Diabetes and Endocrinology Research
Center grants.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000," a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Request for
Applications (RFA), Diabetes and Endocrinology Research Centers, is
related to the priority area of diabetes mellitus.  Potential applicants
may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The objective of the Diabetes and Endocrinology Research Centers (DERCs)
is to bring together investigators from relevant disciplines in a manner
that will enhance and extend the effectiveness of research related to
diabetes and its complications.  A diabetes center must be an
identifiable unit within a single university medical center or a
consortium of cooperating institutions, including an affiliated
university.  The overall goal of the DERC is to bring together, on a
cooperative basis, clinical and basic science investigators in a manner
that will enrich the effectiveness of diabetes research.  An existing
program of excellence in biomedical research in the area of diabetes and
related metabolic and endocrine disorders is required.  This research
must be in the form of NIH-funded research projects, program projects,
or other peer-reviewed research that is in existence at the time of
submission of a center application.  Close cooperation, communication,
and collaboration among all involved personnel of all professional
disciplines are ultimate objectives.  Applicants should consult with
NIDDK staff concerning plans for the development of the center.
 
The DERCs are based on the core concept.  Cores are defined as shared
resources that enhance productivity or in other ways benefit a group of
investigators working in diabetes or diabetes-related areas to
accomplish the stated goals of the center.  Two other types of
activities may also be supported with center funding--a pilot and
feasibility program and an enrichment program.  The pilot and
feasibility program provides modest support for new initiatives or
feasibility research studies.  This program is directed at new
investigators or established investigators in other research disciplines
where their expertise may be applied to diabetes research.  The center
grant may also include limited funds for program enrichment such as
seminars, visiting scientists, consultants, and workshops.
 
Applicants from institutions that have a General Clinical Research
Center (GCRC) funded by the NIH National Center for Research Resources
may wish to identify the GCRC as a resource for conducting the proposed
research.  In such a case, a letter of agreement from either the GCRC
program director or Principal Investigator must be included with the
application.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study
populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
NIDDK expects to award up to three DERC grants in Fiscal Year 1993 on a
competitive basis.  The receipt of three competing continuation
applications is anticipated that will be in competition together with
other applications received in response to this announcement.  Foreign
institutions are not eligible to apply.  Awards will be for five years,
contingent upon the availability of appropriated funds.  Requests for
support must be limited to no more than $750,000 in direct costs per
year.  Any application exceeding this amount will be returned to the
applicant.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications for a DERC grant will be evaluated by the NIH grant peer
review process.  Applications will be reviewed initially by an ad hoc
review group convened by the NIDDK and subsequently by the National
Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Advisory Council.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Applicants should request a copy of "Guidelines for Diabetes
Endocrinology Research Centers (DERCs)".  These guidelines contain
important additional information on the format, content, and review of
applications and review criteria.
 
Letter of Intent:
 
Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a letter of
intent by January 10, 1992.  The letter of intent may only include names
of the Principal Investigator/program director and principal
collaborators, descriptive title of the potential application, and
identification of the organization(s) involved.  The letter of intent is
to be sent to the Chief, Review Branch, NIDDK at the address noted
below.
 
Format for Application:
 
Applications must be submitted on the form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88)
available at most institutional business offices and from the Division
of Research Grants, NIH, (301) 496-7441.  On item 2 of the face page of
the application, applicants must enter:  Diabetes Centers, RFA number
DK-91-11.  The RFA label available in the current revision of
application form PHS 398 must be affixed to the bottom of the face page.
Failure to use this label could result in delayed processing of the
application to the extent that it may not reach the review committee in
time for review.
 
Application Procedures:
 
Applications must be received by February 11, 1992.  The original and
four copies of the application must be sent or delivered to:
 
Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Two additional copies of the application under separate cover must be
sent to:
 
Review Branch
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 406
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
INQUIRIES
 
Inquiries, requests for guidelines, and requests for the full RFA should
be directed to:
 
Dr. Sanford A. Garfield
Diabetes Centers Program Director
Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolic Diseases
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 626
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7418
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Linda Stecklin
Supervisory Grants Management Specialist
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 639
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7467
 
$$R2 END ***************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN DK-91-12 FULL-TEXT ******************************************
 
DIABETES RESEARCH AND TRAINING CENTERS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DK-91-12
 
P.T. 04, 44; K.W. 0715075, 0710030, 0785035, 0403004
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  November 22, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  December 20, 1991
 
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
(NIDDK) invites applications for Center grants.  NIDDK anticipates the
competitive awarding of at least five Diabetes Research and Training
Center (DRTC) grants in Fiscal Year 1993.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000," a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Request for
Applications (RFA), Diabetes Research and Training Centers, is related
to the priority area of diabetes mellitus.  Potential applicants may
obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The objective of the DRTC is to bring together investigators from
relevant disciplines in a manner that will enhance and extend the
effectiveness of research and training being conducted in the field of
diabetes and its complications.  It should be stressed that a DRTC,
although containing all of the elements present in a Diabetes
Endocrinology Research Center (DERC, see RFA DK-91-11), contains
substantial additional components described here.  Diabetes Centers must
be an identifiable unit within a single university medical center or a
consortium of cooperating institutions, including an affiliated
university.  The overall goal of the DRTC is to bring together, on a
cooperative basis, clinical and basic science investigators and those
involved in diabetes training and information transfer in a manner that
will enrich the effectiveness of diabetes research, training, and
information transfer.  When fully developed, the DRTCs are expected to
encompass the following:  (1) facilitating and strengthening basic and
clinical research related to diabetes and its complications; (2)
training health professionals about diabetes and its management; (3)
developing a model demonstration facility to contribute to the above
endeavors; and (4) transferring advances in the field of diabetes into
improved care for people with diabetes through activities that identify
and then overcome barriers to the application of new science to diabetes
management and treatment.  All of these areas need not be developed to
the same degree.  However, a strong base of biomedical research is the
most important function of a center.  Accordingly, a program of
excellence in biomedical research in the area of diabetes and related
metabolic and endocrine disorders in the form of NIH-funded research
projects, program projects, or other peer-reviewed research must be in
existence at the time of submission of a Center application.  Close
cooperation, communication, and collaboration among all involved
personnel of all professional disciplines are ultimate objectives.
Applicants should request a copy of the DRTC guidelines and consult with
NIDDK staff concerning plans for the development of the Center.
 
The DRTCs are based on the core concept.  Cores are defined as shared
resources that enhance productivity or in other ways benefit a group of
investigators working in diabetes or diabetes-related areas to
accomplish the stated goals of the Center.  Two other types of
activities may also be supported with center funding - a pilot and
feasibility program and an enrichment program.
 
Applicants from institutions that have a General Clinical Research
Center (GCRC) funded by the NIH National Center for Research Resources
may wish to identify the GCRC as a resource for conducting the proposed
research.  In such a case, a letter of agreement from either the GCRC
program director or Principal Investigator must be included with the
application.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study
populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Foreign institutions are not eligible to apply.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
NIDDK expects to award up to five DRTC grants in Fiscal Year 1993 on a
competitive basis.  The receipt of five competitive continuation
applications is anticipated, and these will be in competition together
with other applications received in response to this announcement.
Awards will be for five years contingent upon the availability of
appropriated funds.  Requests for support must not exceed $1,250,000 per
year in direct costs.  Any application exceeding this amount will be
returned to the applicant.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications for a DRTC grant will be evaluated by the NIH grant peer
review process.  Applications will be reviewed initially by an ad hoc
review group convened by the NIDDK and subsequently by the National
Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Advisory Council.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Applicants should request a copy of "Guidelines for Diabetes Research
and Training Centers (DRTCs)."  These guidelines contain important
additional information on the format, content, and review of
applications and review criteria.
 
Letter of Intent:
 
Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a letter of
intent by November 22, 1991.  The letter of intent may only include
names of the Principal Investigator/program director and principal
collaborators, descriptive title of the potential application, and
identification of the organization(s) involved.  The letter of intent is
to be sent to the Chief, Review Branch, NIDDK at the address noted
below.
 
Format for Application:
 
Applications must be submitted on the form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88)
available at most institutional business offices and from the Division
of Research Grants, NIH, (301) 496-7441.  On item 2 of the face page of
the application, applicants must enter:  Diabetes Centers, RFA number
DK-91-12.  The RFA label available in the current revision of
application form PHS 398 must be affixed to the bottom of the face page.
Failure to use this label could result in delayed processing of the
application to the extent that it may not reach the review committee in
time for review.
 
Application Procedures:
 
Applications must be received by December 20, 1991.  The original and
four copies of the application must be sent or delivered to:
 
Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Two additional copies of the application under separate cover must be
sent to:
 
Review Branch
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 406
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
INQUIRIES
 
Inquiries, requests for guidelines, and requests for the full RFA should
be directed to:
 
Dr. Sanford A. Garfield
Diabetes Center Program Director
Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolic Diseases
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 626
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7418
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Linda Stecklin
Supervisory Grants Management Specialist
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 639
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7467
 
$$R3 END ***************************************************************
 
                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-91-65 ****************************************************
 
MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF SKELETAL MUSCLE AND ITS DISEASES
 
PA:  PA-91-65
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705050, 1002004, 0760070, 1002058, 1003018, 0775000,
745030
 
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
 
INTRODUCTION
 
The Muscle Biology Program of the National Institute of Arthritis and
Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) supports research on skeletal
muscle, its diseases and disorders.  This includes studies on normal
muscle structure, function, development, and homeostasis.  NIAMS,
through this program announcement, encourages submission of grant
applications in the specific area of molecular events responsible for
muscle specialization during development, regeneration, and
reconstruction, including changes induced by patterns of muscle
activity.
 
BACKGROUND
 
Skeletal muscle is a major tissue of the human body, responsible for 40
percent of total body weight in normal adults.  Its primary function is
generating and controlling body motion and maintaining body posture.
Extensive observation and research, motivated by this major role, have
enhanced our understanding of many aspects of muscle action.  Skeletal
muscle has many unique properties as a tissue, with enzymatic,
mechanical, and thermal properties that are easy to control and measure.
These properties can be changed; muscle responds rapidly to patterns of
use or disuse by modifying the total contractile protein content and by
shifting relative concentrations of various alternative forms.
 
Skeletal muscle precursor cells are established early in development via
processes involving one or more myogenic determination factors (the myd1
gene product, MyoD, myogenin, myf5, and mrf4).  The mechanisms by which
these factors are initially induced and by which they cause
pluripotential mesodermal cells to enter the myogenic cell lineage are
not understood.  Early myoblasts are apparently interchangeable, in that
factors responsible for specialization are acquired during development
from external cues such as location and activity.
 
Studies of muscle gene regulation have concentrated upon identifying
muscle-specific control elements and the myogenic transcription factors
with which they interact.  DNA sequence motifs that are common to many
muscle genes are known to affect muscle gene expression, but knowledge
of gene-specific and modulatory control elements is lacking.
Transcription mediated via the common control elements appears to
involve interactions with protein complexes composed of both myogenic
and ubiquitous nuclear factors.  In myoblasts, the activity of these
complexes is controlled by environmental factors such as mitogens, but
neither the mechanism of this process nor how the expression of specific
muscle genes is modulated in differentiated muscle cells is understood.
 
There has been considerable success recently in sequencing the coding
regions for muscle proteins, including the characterization of many
genes that can be transcribed in various ways (alternative splicing) to
produce considerable isoform diversity for each protein.  In many cases,
such as the contractile proteins, several isoforms are present within
single muscle fibrils.  Considerable efforts are being made to identify
and characterize factors that promote or inhibit expression of various
isoforms and the ways these factors interact with genetic material.
Changes in rates of expression and alterations in splicing have major
impact on the reconstruction of muscle that occurs in response to
patterns of activity.
 
Other major contractile, regulatory, and structural proteins have been
isolated and characterized.  Molecular genetic techniques allow for
altering sequences and hence provide a way to explore the functional
contributions of different parts of proteins.  Such techniques are
already being used to explore the protein chemistry of calcium binding
and transport in troponin-C and the membrane calcium ATPase transport
protein.
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The purpose of this program announcement is to encourage the submission
of high-quality applications that further increase our knowledge of the
molecular biology of skeletal muscle and its diseases.  This includes,
but is not restricted to, the following specific areas:
 
  o  Studies characterizing genes of muscle proteins, substances, and
     membranes.  Examples are the proteins of force production and
     regulation, including actin, myosin, tropomyosin, troponin; calcium
     binding proteins, such as calmodulin; ion channel proteins;
     cytoskeletal proteins, such as spectrin, actinin, dystrophin;
     surface receptors, and substances of the basal lamina and
     extracellular matrix.
 
  o  Mechanistic molecular genetic studies of muscle protein functions.
 
  o  Studies on nuclear factors that promote or inhibit gene expression
     and transcription in muscle during development, regeneration, and
     response to altered levels of muscle activity (e.g., isoform
     switching).
 
  o  Studies to determine mechanisms whereby external factors, such as
     growth hormones or signal transduction, influence transcriptional
     regulation and the expression of alternate isoforms.
 
  o  Studies on the genetic basis of inherited diseases of skeletal
     muscle, its membranes, and its constituent proteins.
 
  o  Studies of possible therapies and clinical interventions that are
     based on modifying genetic expression in muscle.  Such studies
     should be focused on understanding mechanisms by which such
     interventions alter cellular function.
 
Investigators are encouraged to use the full range of current
disciplines and techniques, including biochemistry, biophysics,
molecular genetics, recombinant techniques, and cell biology.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Applicants may apply for research project grants (R01), program project
awards (P01), First Independent Research Support and Transition (FIRST)
(R29) awards, and fellowships and research career development awards.
 
APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications in response to this announcement will be reviewed and
assigned in accordance with the usual Public Health Service peer review
procedures.  Review criteria include significance and originality of the
research goals and approaches; feasibility of the research and adequacy
of the experimental design; training, research competence, and
dedication of the investigator(s); adequacy of available facilities; and
provision for the humane care of animals.  Funding decisions will be
based on initial review group and National Advisory Council
recommendations.
 
Applications must be submitted on form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88) or the
training/fellowship application form, available in the business or
grants office at most academic or research institutions, and from the
Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, telephone
(301) 496-7441.  Applications will be accepted in accordance with the
submission dates for research applications on a continuing basis:
February 1, June 1, October 1.  Fellowship receipt dates are January 10,
May 10, September 10.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need for
inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders and
conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research design
and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.
This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2,
A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects.
Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of
including the broadest possible representation of minority groups.
However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in
all research projects to include representation of the full array of
United States racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native Americans
(including American Indians or Alaskan Natives), Asian/Pacific
Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups should be
provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also apply.
Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues cannot be
identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However, every effort
should be made to include human tissues from women and racial/ethnic
minorities when it is important to apply the results of the study
broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application, the
application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants or
cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
The phrase "MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF SKELETAL MUSCLE AND ITS DISEASES,
PA-91-65" must be typed on line 2 of the face page of the application
form PHS 398.  The original and six copies must be sent or delivered to:
 
Grant Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
Westwood Building, Room 240
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892-4500**
 
The original and two copies of the fellowship application must be sent
to the DRG address above.
 
For further information, investigators are encouraged to contact the
following individual:
 
Richard W. Lymn, Ph.D.
Muscle Biology Program Director
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 403
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7495
 
Some areas outlined in this announcement are also of interest to the
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.  Applicants may
wish to contact:
 
Paul L. Nichols, Ph.D.
Developmental Neurology Branch
Division of Convulsive, Developmental, and Neuromuscular Disorders
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Federal Building, Room 8C08
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5821
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Mary Graham
Grants Management Officer
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 417E
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-2665
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.846, Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Research.
Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service
Act, administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42
CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review.

**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS
THE CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.
APPLICANTS WHO USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO
FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE
ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS:
 
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816
 
$$P1 END ***************************************************************
 
                                    ERRATA
 
$$E1 BEGIN N1 19910524 APPEND ******************************************
 
NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS WORKSHOP FOR BIOMEDICAL
RESEARCHERS
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 0760053, 0755045, 0780018
 
National Center for Research Resources
 
This notice was originally published in the E-Guide on May 24, 1991,
however, the code numbers on the "P.T." line were inadvertantly
omitted.  The code numbers above pertain to this notice.
 
$$E1 END ***************************************************************
 
$$E2 BEGIN N2 19910524 APPEND ******************************************
 
AVAILABILITY OF RESOURCE FOR DIETARY INTAKE AND NUTRITION RESEARCH
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710095, 0780000
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
This notice was originally published in the E-Guide on May 24, 1991,
however, the code numbers on the "P.T." line were inadvertantly
omitted.  The code numbers above pertain to this notice.
 
$$E2 END ***************************************************************
 
$$E3 BEGIN N3 19910524 APPEND ******************************************
 
CURRENTLY ACTIVE NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
P.T. 22, 34; K.W. 0715035, 0710030, 0720005
 
National Cancer Institute
 
This notice was originally published in the E-Guide on May 24, 1991,
however, the code numbers on the "P.T." line were inadvertantly
omitted.  The code numbers above pertain to this notice.
 
$$E3 END ***************************************************************
 
$$E4 BEGIN R1 19910524 APPEND NIH-NINDS-91-12 SHORT ********************
 
MICROSTIMULATORS AND MICROTRANSDUCERS FOR FUNCTIONAL NEUROMUSCULAR
STIMULATION
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NINDS-91-12
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0740050, 0745047, 0715140
 
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
 
This announcements was originally published in the E-Guide on May 24, 1991,
however, the code numbers on the "P.T." line were inadvertantly
omitted.  The code numbers above pertain to this announcement.
 
$$E4 END ***************************************************************
 
               FULL TEXT OF RFAs FOR ONLINE ACCESS