Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(42) 11/08/91
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 91 12:31 EST

Hi Paul,
The November 8, 1991 NIH Guide has arrived.  It will be forwarded
in four parts.  Please post this one to the NIH Listserver as:
NIHGUIDE.911108.
Thanks,
     M.G. Broaddus
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 20, No. 42 - November 8, 1991
 
$$INDEX BEGIN *******************************************************
 
                               NOTICES
 
$$INDEX N1 **********************************************************
 
WORLD AIDS FOUNDATION
Fogarty International Center
INDEX:  FOGARTY INTERNATIONAL CENTER
 
$$INDEX N2 **********************************************************
 
BIOMEDICAL INITIATIVE SUPERCOMPUTING TECHNIQUES WORKSHOP
National Center for Research Resources
INDEX:  RESEARCH RESOURCES
 
$$INDEX N3 **********************************************************
 
NIH/ADAMHA PEER REVIEW CONSULTANT FILE:  ADDRESS CHANGE
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
INDEX:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
        ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, AND MENTAL HEALTH
 
$$INDEX N4 **********************************************************
 
POLICY ON SUPPLEMENTATION OF STIPENDS ON NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE
AWARD TRAINING
GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
INDEX:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
        ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, AND MENTAL HEALTH
 
                            NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$INDEX R1 **********************************************************
 
EVALUATION OF CHEMOPREVENTION AGENTS BY IN VIVO SCREENING ASSAYS (RFP
NCI-CN-25407-20)
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX R2 **********************************************************
 
MASTER AGREEMENT FOR CEREBROVASCULAR CLINICAL RESEARCH (MAA/RFP NIH-
NINDS-92-06)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
INDEX:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE
 
$$INDEX R3 **********************************************************
 
CHEMICAL EFFECTS IN TRANSGENIC HUMAN CELLS (RFP NIH-ES-92-15)
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
INDEX:  ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
 
$$INDEX R4 02/24/92 *************************************************
 
ENHANCING VACCINE IMMUNOGENICITY (RFA AI-92-02)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
INDEX:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
 
$$INDEX R5 02/11/92 *************************************************
 
CLINICAL RESEARCH ON BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIA (BPH) AND CHRONIC
PROSTATITIS (RFA DK-92-12)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
INDEX:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE, KIDNEY DISEASES
 
$$INDEX R6 02/16/92 *************************************************
 
ALZHEIMER'S AMYLOID BETA PROTEIN PRECURSOR IN HEMOSTASIS AND THROMBOSIS
(HL-92-05-B)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institute on Aging
INDEX:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
        AGING
 
$$INDEX END *********************************************************
 
                               NOTICES
 
$$N1 BEGIN **********************************************************
 
WORLD AIDS FOUNDATION
 
P.T. 22, 34, 42; K.W. 0715008
 
Fogarty International Center
 
The World AIDS Foundation (WAF), jointly sponsored by the U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services and the Institut Pasteur of
Paris, France, announces its intent to support research and education
relating to AIDS in the developing world.  The goal of the WAF is to
facilitate information exchange and to assist developing countries in
responding to the AIDS pandemic.
 
The WAF is particularly interested in projects that are catalytic and,
once in place, could have a multiplicative effect.  The WAF is
specifically interested in supporting:
 
A) short-term, in-country training for clinicians, allied health
professionals, and technicians;
 
B) fellowships to support training for national experts;
 
C) development and testing of new concepts and demonstrations for
preventing the spread of HIV; and
 
D) highly focused workshops that enhance the scientific process and
transfer knowledge needed in the effort against HIV infections and
AIDS.
 
The limit of any single funding request to the WAF is $200,000.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Concept letters and applications may be prepared in either English or
French.  Applicants must submit concept letters for initial
consideration. Following review of concept letters, applicants may be
invited to submit complete applications.  The annual deadline for
receipt of concept letters is February 1.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Concept letters, full applications, and inquiries concerning the
programs of the WAF may be directed to either:
 
World AIDS Foundation
Assistant Secretary for Health
c/o Director, Fogarty International Center
National Institutes of Health
Building 31, Room B2C02
Bethesda, MD  20892
U.S.A.
 
or
 
World AIDS Foundation
c/o Director
Institut Pasteur
28 rue du Docteur Roux
75724 Paris, Cedex 15
FRANCE
 
$$N1 END ************************************************************
 
$$N2 BEGIN **********************************************************
 
BIOMEDICAL INITIATIVE SUPERCOMPUTING TECHNIQUES WORKSHOP
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 1004000, 1004008
 
National Center for Research Resources
 
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) is conducting a five-day
Supercomputing Techniques Workshop for biomedical researchers to be
held January 27-31, 1992.  The workshop is funded by a National
Institutes of Health (NIH) grant from the Biomedical Research
Technology Program, National Center for Research Resources.
 
The workshop is aimed at experienced FORTRAN and C programmers, but
prior supercomputing experience is not necessary.  Topics will include
the PSC programming and computing environment, FORTRAN programming on
the CM-2, an overview of C programming on the CM-2, scientific and
low-level programming libraries, special I/O features of the CM-2, and
graphics facilities at the PSC.
 
Travel, meals, and hotel accommodations for U.S. academic participants
are supported by the grant.  A limited number of openings for
industrially based biomedical researchers may be available for a fee of
$1,000.  Enrollment is limited to 20 participants.  THE DEADLINE FOR
THE SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS IS DECEMBER 6, 1991.
 
For application forms and inquiries contact:
 
Nancy Blankenstein
Biomedical Coordinator
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
4400 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA  15213
Telephone:  (412) 268-5206
 
$$N2 END ************************************************************
 
$$N3 BEGIN **********************************************************
 
NIH/ADAMHA PEER REVIEW CONSULTANT FILE:  ADDRESS CHANGE
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1014002
 
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
 
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Alcohol, Drug Abuse,
and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) have established a new
consultant file of peer reviewers.  Reviewers will be selected from a
national pool of scientists who are engaged in basic or applied
research.  Data from qualified respondents will be entered into a new
computerized NIH/ADAMHA data base.  This unique data base will be used
as one source from which candidates for membership on NIH/ADAMHA
committees and for other peer review activities are drawn.  All
qualified scientists are requested to participate.  Qualified women and
minority scientists are encouraged to apply.  There are currently
13,000 potential consultants listed in the file.
 
A Consultant File Information Form has been sent to PHS grantees and
the solicitation announcement will appear in major journals.  Other
scientists who are interested in participating must submit a written
request for the NIH/ADAMHA Consultant File Information Form.  The new
file is based solely on positive responses.  A response is needed from
consultants and members of a Reviewer's Reserve who wish to be included
in the consultant file.  This file is independent of other consultant
files.  Your request should be sent to:
 
NIH/ADAMHA Consultant File
7101 Wisconsin Avenue
Suite 1125, Dept 02
Bethesda, MD  20814
 
$$N3 END ************************************************************
 
$$N4 BEGIN **********************************************************
 
POLICY ON SUPPLEMENTATION OF STIPENDS ON NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE
AWARD TRAINING GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
 
P.T. 22, 44; K.W. 0720005, 1014006
 
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
 
It is the policy of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) to
ensure that the full amount of any stipend increase is received by all
individuals supported on National Research Service Award (NRSA)
training grants and fellowships.  The NIH and ADAMHA recognize that
many NRSA grantee institutions supplement NRSA stipends provided to
trainees and fellows; institutions should maintain the level of
supplementation currently provided when stipends are increased.  When
making award decisions, the extent to which an institution maintains
the supplementation currently provided will be considered in
determining the adequacy of the resources available at the applicant
institution, consistent with 42 CFR 66.206(a)(3)(ii).
 
Contact:
 
Dr. Walter T. Schaffer
Research Training and Research Resources Officer
National Institutes of Health
Building 31, Room 5B44
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9743
 
$$N4 END ************************************************************
 
                  NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN NCI-CN-25407-20 ******************************************
 
EVALUATION OF CHEMOPREVENTION AGENTS BY IN VIVO SCREENING ASSAYS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NCI-CN-25407-20
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0740018, 0755010, 0755020
 
National Cancer Institute
 
The National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Prevention and
Control, Chemoprevention Branch, plans to award Master Agreement
contracts for the above study.  The required services will be defined
by Master Agreement Orders (MAO) issued during the five-year period of
performance.  This is a recompetition of the entire pool of Master
Agreement Holders.  All Master Agreement Holders must requalify to be
eligible to compete for future MAO RFPs.  Pursuant to the MAOs, the
contractor shall conduct in vivo screening studies in small rodents
using gavage and other routes to administer the designated
chemopreventive agents in animal models using any carcinogenic
mechanism (that is consistent with the Evaluation Criteria), such as
carcinogens, promoters, hormones, irradiation, cells, and other
carcinogenic agents.  Agents to be tested are potentially hazardous.
The animal model systems also involve the use of carcinogens.
Laboratory practices shall be employed that will keep any element of
risk to personnel at an absolute minimum.  Where indicated, tissue and
compound handling must be performed in (at least) Class I laminar flow
agents.  It shall be required that the animal facilities be maintained
in accordance with the NIH Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory
Animals, the Animal Welfare Act as administered by the U.S. Department
of Agriculture, and the U.S. Government Principles for Utilization and
Care of Vertebrate Animals Used for Testing Research and Training.
This research will be performed under cost-reimbursement and/or fixed-
price MAOs.  Offerors will not be considered eligible for award unless
they can conduct specific individual MAOs in accordance with the Food
and Drug Administration Good Laboratory Practices Regulations.  The
contractor must have all the equipment necessary to accomplish the
studies including, but not limited to, animal racks and caging,
hazardous chemical storage cabinets and refrigerators, pathology
equipment such as microscopes and microtomes, and miscellaneous
laboratory equipment.  The laboratory must have or have access to
appropriate terminal and computer facilities and equipment for data
collection and storage.  It is estimated that four to five Task Orders
per year will be issued pursuant to the Master Agreement contracts.
The Master Agreement Announcement No. NCI-CN-25407-20 will be available
on approximately November 5, 1991.  The proposal due date will be
approximately December 24, 1991.
 
Copies of the RFP may be obtained by sending a written request to:
 
Mr. Charles Lerner, Contract Specialist
National Cancer Institute
Research Contracts Branch, PCCS
Executive Plaza South, Room 635
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8603
 
No collect calls will be accepted.
 
$$R1 END ************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN NIH-NINDS-92-06 ******************************************
 
MASTER AGREEMENT FOR CEREBROVASCULAR CLINICAL RESEARCH
 
MAA/RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NINDS-92-06
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705010, 0705015, 0715042, 0715200, 0785035
 
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
 
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) is
seeking proposals with the intent of awarding Master Agreements (MAs)
to sources capable of performing clinical evaluations of new
investigational forms of therapies and intervention efforts aimed at
preventing and/or treating cerebrovascular diseases in an attempt to
reduce disability, optimize functional recovery, and improve the
quality of life.  Offerors may qualify under any number of the six
specific project categories listed below.  It is possible for an
organization to qualify under all six categories.  Recipients of MA
awards may compete for award under future "quick reaction" MA Order
(MAO)/Request for Proposals (RFP) for studies in the category(ies) for
which they receive an MA award.  Current MA holders will not be
required to compete and requalify unless they wish to be considered for
award under a category for which they have not already qualified.
 
Category I   - Clinical Research Studies on Transient Ischemic Attack;
 
Category II  - Clinical Research Studies of Acute Ischemic Stroke;
 
Category III - Clinical Research Studies of Generalized Cerebral
Ischemia;
 
Category IV  - Clinical Research Studies on Intracranial Aneurysms and
Subarachnoid Hemorrhage;
 
Category V   - Clinical Research Studies on Intracerebral Hemorrhage;
 
Category VI  - Clinical Research Studies on Dementia Secondary to
Cerebrovascular Disease.
 
An MA is an agreement issued to sources who qualify under MAA/RFP
solicitations to compete for future tasks issued under the general
study areas described in an MA.  These agreements contain general
terms, conditions, and parameters of performance for the particular
study category(ies) that the MA holder is judged capable of competing
for and performing.  Award of a MA under the MAA/RFP will certify that
an offeror has demonstrated that it has the staff expertise,
capability, facilities, and access to an adequate study population to
compete for future MAO task requirements issued under the
Cerebrovascular Clinical Research project.  The agreements will not
contain specific work tasks nor any funding commitments.
 
Competition of future MAO tasks will be restricted to qualified MA
holders, and successful MA competitors may receive an MAO award.  An
MAO is a bilateral contract and an operational addendum to an MA.  The
MAO outlines the specific performance requirements, including a
detailed Statement of Work and Delivery Schedule, and indicates the
negotiated funding commitment for the particular study task.
 
It is anticipated that as a result of this solicitation, multiple MA
awards will be made.  MA awards resulting from this RFP will be valid
through May 31, 1994.  It is important that offerors review carefully
the six individual category descriptions and requirements and the
evaluation criteria contained in the MAA/RFP prior to preparing a
response to the solicitation.  Offerors must provide concise
information regarding their capability to accrue the required number of
specific subjects indicated in the MAA/RFP.
 
This is an announcement of an anticipated MAA/RFP.  The MAA/RFP will be
issued on or about November 11, 1991, with the closing date for receipt
of proposals set approximately for January 14, 1992.  All responsible
sources may submit a proposal that will be considered by the Agency.
Copies of the MAA/RFP may be obtained by sending a written request to:
 
Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Attention:  MAA/RFP No. NIH-NINDS-92-06
 
$$R2 END ************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN NIH-ES-92-15 *********************************************
 
CHEMICAL EFFECTS IN TRANSGENIC HUMAN CELLS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-ES-92-15
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0780015, 1002058
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
 
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS),
National Institutes of Health (NIH), is soliciting proposals from
offerors having the capability to develop cultured human cell systems
through the transduction of specific genes so that the effects of the
transduced genes on cellular properties can be studied and the
resulting phenotypes used to measure and better understand chemically
induced effects.  Genes derived from human tissues must receive
consideration.  The first phase will be to characterize various
transgenic human cell lines for various phenotypic properties.  The
goal of this phase is the selection of appropriate subclones to be
further studied by selected chemical exposures.  The second phase shall
be to use selected chemicals to modulate the effects of the transgene
on cell growth characteristics, phenotypic and genomic stability, gene
expression, transformation, tumorigenicity, or other parameters related
to neoplastic progression and sensitivity to chemical toxicity
transformation.  The Government estimates the level of effort to
perform this requirement to be approximately 4.124 person years per
year.  It is anticipated that one contract will be awarded for a 12-
month period starting approximately May 1, 1991, with five one-year
options.  Issuance of the Request for Proposals (RFP) is estimated to
be November 12, 1991 with responses due by December 31, 1991.
 
Requests for a copy of the RFP must reference RFP NIH-ES-92-15 and must
be sent to:
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Contracts and Procurement Management Branch, OM
ATTN:  Jo Ann Lewis
79 T.W. Alexander Drive, 4401 Building
P.O. Box 12874
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
FAX:  (919) 541-2712
 
$$R3 END ************************************************************
 
$$R4 BEGIN AI-92-02 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
ENHANCING VACCINE IMMUNOGENICITY
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  AI-92-02
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0740075, 0710065
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  December 30, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  February 24, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
announces the availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) for
innovative preclinical research on efficient methods to increase the
immunogenicity of vaccines for eventual human use.
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Universities, medical colleges, hospitals, public and private
institutions, and non-profit and for-profit organizations are eligible.
Awards to foreign institutions under this request will be made only for
research of unusually high merit, need, and promise, and in accordance
with Public Health Service policy governing such awards.  Applications
from minority investigators and women are encouraged.
 
BACKGROUND
 
Developing and testing vaccines is a major component of research
supported by the NIAID.  This effort supports a wide spectrum of
research from basic molecular, biologic, and immunologic studies
through efficacy trials of candidate vaccines and includes research on
vaccines for pertussis, influenza, Haemophilus influenzae, Neisseria
meningitidis, rotavirus, Escherichia coli, Salmonella, malaria, and
other diseases.  The interest of the NIAID in these areas has been
given additional impetus by of the recently launched international
effort termed the Children's Vaccine Initiative.  The focus of this
effort is on developing improved vaccines that can be used ultimately
to decrease the number of clinic visits that a child requires before
he/she is adequately immunized against a variety of infectious
diseases.  In some cases, this will require that new vaccines be
developed, but, in other cases, it is possible that existing vaccines
could be either reformulated or modified to make them more immunogenic.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Enhancing Vaccine Immunogenicity, is related to the priority area of
immunization and infectious diseases.  Potential applicants may obtain
a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The purpose of this RFA is to stimulate innovative preclinical research
on methods to increase the immunogenicity of existing and candidate
vaccines for human use.  The major emphasis will be on safe and
efficient methods to enhance protective immune responses against a wide
variety of infectious diseases of interest to the NIAID.  These
include, but are not limited to, pertussis, bacterial meningitis,
bacterial and viral diarrheas, acute respiratory infections, sexually
transmitted diseases, and malaria.  (Research on vaccines against the
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and related viruses will not be
considered under this initiative.)
 
Because of the emphasis on inducing high-quality protective immune
responses, research using experimental challenge studies in relevant
animal models will be encouraged.  Alternatively, immunization
strategies for diseases for which established correlates of immunity
exist (e.g., serum antibodies to Haemophilus influenzae capsule after
immunization with conjugate vaccines) can also be proposed.  The most
important consideration will be the relevance of these studies for
protection against human disease.
 
Applications to test innovative immunization strategies, such as the
use of yeast Ty elements or hepatitis B virus core-antigen fusion
proteins, are strongly encouraged, as are other types of novel
conjugate vaccines that offer an improvement over existing or candidate
vaccines.  Applications to test vaccine vectors (e.g., Salmonella,
adenovirus, or BCG expressing heterologous antigens), in the context of
enhancing immune responses to target antigens, will also be considered;
however, applications to construct such vectors will not be considered.
Again, the long-term goal is to develop vaccine candidates that warrant
eventual study in humans.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the traditional
individual research grant (R01).  Responsibility for planning,
direction, and execution of the proposed project will be solely that of
the applicant.
 
The NIAID anticipates making five to seven awards, totaling $1,000,000,
as a result of this request.  However, the number of awards to be made
is dependent upon receipt of a sufficient number of applications with
high scientific merit and programmatic relevance and upon the
availability of funds.  If appropriate, collaboration with other
investigators or institutions is encouraged.  It is expected that the
initial year award for successful applications will be in the range of
$125,000 to $200,000 in total (direct plus indirect) costs for each
award, although individual awards may be slightly higher or lower.
Awards will be made for a project period of up to four years.  (Awards
to foreign applicant institutions will be limited to three years and
will not include indirect costs.)  The earliest possible award date is
September 30, 1992.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES AND CRITERIA
 
Applications will be received by the NIH Division of Research Grants
(DRG).  Applications will be reviewed by NIAID staff to determine
administrative and programmatic responsiveness to this RFA; those
judged to be non-responsive will be returned to the applicant without
review.  By mutual agreement between the applicant and NIAID staff, a
non-responsive application may also be retained at NIH and processed as
an unsolicited R01 application for the next review cycle.
 
Those applications considered responsive to the RFA may be subjected to
a triage review by an NIAID peer review group, before or during the
initial review committee meeting, to determine competitiveness relative
to the other applications in response to the RFA.  The NIAID will
withdraw from further competition those applications judged by the
triage peer review group to be noncompetitive for award and will notify
the applicant Principal Investigator and the institutional business
official.
 
Those applications judged to be competitive will be reviewed for
scientific and technical merit by a review committee convened by the
Division of Extramural Activities, NIAID, during June 1992.  The second
level of review will be provided by the National Advisory Allergy and
Infectious Diseases Council in September 1992.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 kit (revised 10/88) must be
used in applying for these grants.  These forms are available at most
institutional business offices and from the Office of Grants Inquiries,
Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, Room 449,
Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20892, telephone
301/496-7441.
 
Applications must be received by February 24, 1992.  Applications
received after the above date will be returned without review.  If the
application submitted in response to this RFA is substantially similar
to a grant application already submitted to the NIH for review, but has
not yet been reviewed, the applicant will be asked to withdraw either
the pending application or the new one.  Simultaneous submission of
identical applications will not be allowed, nor will essentially
identical applications be reviewed by different review committees.  An
application cannot be submitted in response to this RFA that is
essentially identical to one that has already been reviewed.  This does
not preclude the submission of substantial revision(s) of an
application already reviewed, but such applications must include an
introduction addressing the previous critique.
 
Letter of intent:  Prospective applicants are asked to submit a letter
of intent by December 30, 1991.  This letter is to include the name of
the institution, any other participating institutions, the Principal
Investigator and other key investigators, and a descriptive title.  A
letter of intent is not binding and will not enter into the review of
any application subsequently submitted, nor is it a necessary
requirement for application.  Letters of intent are requested solely
for review planning purposes.  NIAID staff will not provide responses
to such letters.  Letters of intent are to be sent to:
 
Dr. Olivia T. Preble
Chief, Microbiology and Immunology Review Section
Scientific Review Branch
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Control Data Building, Room 4C-20
6003 Executive Blvd.
Rockville, MD  20852
Telephone:  (301) 496-8208
 
The RFA may be obtained from:
 
Dr. Dale R. Spriggs
Enteric Diseases Branch
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Control Data Building, Room 3A-05
6003 Executive Blvd.
Rockville, MD  20852
Telephone:  (301) 496-7051
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Mrs. Barbara Huffman
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Grants Management Section
Division of Extramural Activities
Control Data Building, Room 4B-35
6003 Executive Blvd.
Rockville, MD  20852
Telephone:  (301) 496-7075
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.856 - Microbiology and Infectious Disease Research.  Grants are
awarded under the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV,
Section 301 as amended, Public Law 78-410; Public Law 97-219; Public
Law 99-158; Public Law 99-500; and Report 99-711 to accompany HR 5233
and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42
CFR 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or
Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R4 END ************************************************************
 
$$R5 BEGIN DK-92-12 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
CLINICAL RESEARCH ON BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIA (BPH) AND CHRONIC
PROSTATITIS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DK-92-12
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715105, 0785035, 0765033, 0745020
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date: December 1, 1991
Application Receipt Date: February 11, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases (DKUHD) of
the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
(NIDDK) announces the availability of the above-referenced Request for
Applications (RFA).  This RFA invites new and experienced investigators
to submit research grant applications that will investigate the
clinical aspects of two of the major diseases of the prostate:  benign
prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and chronic prostatitis.  The purpose of
this RFA is to increase the knowledge of the clinical pathogenesis of
these diseases, investigate the interrelationship between these two
diseases, and explore new and unique techniques for early detection,
genetic predilection, and more accurate assessment of the growth and
severity of these diseases.
 
BACKGROUND
 
BPH is a major cause of morbidity in the adult male. Surgical
intervention still remains the most effective therapy for obliteration
of the enlarged portion of the gland.  The following aspects of the
disorder remain to be explored:  preventing the onset of hyperplastic
growth, predicting who will develop symptomatic BPH and at what rate
established BPH will increase, determining whether or not there are
genetic or racial differences in onset and growth, and determining
whether or not systemic diseases such as diabetes mellitus have any
effect on the development of BPH.
 
Chronic abacterial prostatitis remains a clinical enigma. There have
been very few studies that define its pathogenesis, natural history,
and interrelationship with the development of BPH, and any racial or
genetic differences in onset and pathology.
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The overall goal of this request is to increase the amount of clinical
research on the pathology and pathogenesis of BPH and chronic
abacterial prostatitis.  Clinical research is defined, for the purposes
of this RFA, as research that involves human subjects and/or specimens
from human subjects.  This does not exclude the use of non-human
disease models such as animal or cell/tissue cultures for comparison
with human clinical pathology.
 
Areas that might be investigated include, but are not limited to:
non-steroidal testicular factors involved in the pathogenesis of BPH;
serum markers that can quantify the onset and progression of BPH;
growth hormones, interleukins, immunomodulators, in BPH; diagnostic
techniques that will predict the development of symptoms in the
asymptomatic male with BPH; cellular interactions between BPH tissue
and tissue with chronic prostatitis; the role of urinary glycoproteins
in the pathogenesis of chronic prostatitis and BPH; insights into the
bladder dysfunction associated with BPH and with chronic prostatitis;
and seminal fluid markers of men with BPH and with chronic prostatitis;
racial differences in BPH and chronic prostatitis.
 
Topics that are NOT INCLUDED IN THE SCOPE OF THIS RFA include all those
that solely examine treatment modalities and outcomes of treatment.
However, applications that include a therapeutic intervention as a
means to study the pathology and pathogenesis of a disease are
acceptable.  Research that utilizes malignant animal tumor models or
cancer-derived cell/tissue cultures as a model for studies on benign
diseases will not be funded through this RFA.
 
INCLUSION OF MINORITIES IN CLINICAL RESEARCH INVESTIGATIONS
 
Special attention must be given to the inclusion of minorities in the
clinical study populations.  If minorities are not included in the
clinical study populations, a specific justification for this exclusion
must be provided.  Applications that do not document the inclusion of
minorities in the study will not be accepted for review.
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic and foreign, for-profit and
non-profit, public and private organizations, such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, and eligible agencies of the Federal
Government.  Applications from minority individuals and from women are
especially encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support for this program will be through the traditional investigator-
initiated research grant (R01).  The regulations and policies that
govern the research programs of the National Institutes of Health will
prevail.  Support will be provided for up to five years (renewable for
subsequent periods) subject to the availability of funds and progress
achieved.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
For FY 1992, $1.5 million in total costs per year will be committed to
fund applications submitted in response to this RFA.  It is anticipated
that six to eight awards will be made.  Applicants must limit the
budget requests to no more than $160,000 in direct costs for the first
year.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications received in response to this RFA will first be reviewed
for scientific and technical merit by an Initial Review Group convened
by the Review Branch, Division of Extramural Program Activities, NIDDK.
A secondary review for policy and program relevance to the NIDDK
mission will be made by the National Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney
Diseases Advisory Council.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applications must be submitted using form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88),
available in the business or grants offices of most academic or
research institutions and from the Office of Grants Inquiries, Division
of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, 5333 Westbard
Avenue, Room 449, Bethesda, MD 20892, telephone 301/496-7441.
 
Applications must be received by the Division of Research Grants by
close of business on February 11, 1992. Detailed instructions on
submission procedures are described in the RFA.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit by December 1, 1991, a
letter of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed
research, the name and address of the Principal Investigator, the names
of key personnel, the participating institutions, and the number and
title of the RFA to which the applicant is responding.  Such letters
are requested for the purpose of obtaining an indication of the number
and scope of applications to be received.  The letter is not binding,
is not a requirement for submission, and does not enter into the review
of the application.  The letter of intent is to be sent to:
 
Robert Hammond, Ph.D.
Chief, Review Branch
Division of Extramural Activities
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 603
Bethesda, MD  20892
FAX:  (301) 402-1277
 
INQUIRIES
 
It is IMPERATIVE that the RFA be obtained by all prospective applicants
prior to developing an application.  Requests for the RFA and any other
inquiries regarding it may be directed to:
 
Leroy M. Nyberg, Jr., Ph.D., M.D.
Director, Urology Program, DKUHD
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 3A-05
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7133
FAX:  (301) 496-9721
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.849.  Awards will be made under the authority of the Public
Health Service Act, Title III, Section 301 and Section 431 (b) (Public
Law 78-410, as amended:  42 USC 241 and 42 USC 285c-5) and administered
under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and
CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental
review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency
review.
 
$$R5 END ************************************************************
 
$$R6 BEGIN HL-92-05-B FULL-TEXT *************************************
 
ALZHEIMER'S AMYLOID BETA PROTEIN PRECURSOR IN HEMOSTASIS AND THROMBOSIS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HL-92-05-B
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715180, 0715040, 1002008, 0755030
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institute on Aging
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  February 15, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  March 16, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) and the National
Institute on Aging (NIA) announce the availability of a Request for
Applications (RFA) on the above subject.  The purpose of this
initiative is to encourage research on the biochemistry and molecular
biology of the beta amyloid precursor protein.  The emphasis of this
research is on the possible involvement of this protein in the function
or dysfunction in hemostasis and thrombosis.  It is hoped that the
information generated will help to understand the molecular pathology
of Alzheimer's disease and Down's syndrome.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Alzheimer's Amyloid Beta Protein Precursor in Hemostasis and
Thrombosis, is related to the priority areas of thrombosis, and
alzheimer's disease.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of
"Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or
"Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1)
through the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC  20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
All public and private, for-profit and non-profit, institutions and
organizations are eligible to apply in response to this RFA.  Awards in
connection with this announcement will be made to foreign institutions
only for research of very unusual merit, need, and promise, and in
accordance with Public Health Service policy governing such awards.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the traditional
individual research project grant (RO1).  Although approximately $2.5
million in total costs for this program is included in the financial
plans for fiscal year 1992, award of grants pursuant to this RFA is
contingent upon receipt of funds for this purpose.  It is anticipated
that 12 grants will be awarded under this program.  The specific number
to be funded, however, will depend on the merit and scope of the
applications received and the availability of funds.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Letter of Intent:  Prospective applicants are requested to submit a
letter of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed
research and identification of any other participating institutions.
Such letters are requested only for the purpose of providing an
indication of the number and scope of applications to be received;
therefore their receipt is usually not acknowledged.  A letter of
intent is not binding, and it will not enter into the review of any
application subsequently submitted, nor is it a necessary requirement
for application.  This letter of intent, is to be received by February
15, 1992, is to be sent to:
 
Dr. Charles L. Turbyfill
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 553
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
Format for Applications:  Applications should be submitted on the
research grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88).  This form is
available in an applicant institution's office of sponsored research or
business office and from the Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of
Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, Room 449, 5333 Westbard
Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20892, telephone 301/496-7441.
 
Application Receipt Date:  March 16, 1992
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed for their responsiveness to
the objectives of this RFA.  If an application is judged unresponsive,
the application will be returned to the applicant.
 
Applications judged to be responsive will be reviewed for scientific
and technical merit by an initial review group that will be convened by
the Division of Extramural Affairs, NHLBI, solely to review these
applications.
 
This initial review will include a preliminary evaluation to determine
competitiveness relative to the other applications received in response
to the RFA (triage); the NIH will withdraw from further consideration
those applications judged to be noncompetitive and promptly notify the
Principal Investigator/program director and the official signing for
the applicant organization.  Those applications judged to be
competitive will be further evaluated for scientific/technical merit by
the customary peer review procedures.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Inquiries regarding this program and requests for the RFA may be
addressed to either program administrator:
 
Dr. Pankaj Ganguly
Division of Blood Diseases and Resources
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 5A12
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-2237
FAX:  (301) 496-9940
 
Dr. Carl D. Banner
Neuroscience and Neuropsychology of Aging Program
National Institute on Aging
Building 31, Room 5C35
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9350
FAX:  (301) 496-1494
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact either:
 
Ms. Jane R. Davis
Chief, Blood Division Grants Management Section
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 4A11
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7257
 
Mr. Joseph Ellis
Grants Management Officer
Office of Extramural Affairs
National Institute on Aging
Building 31, Room 5C07
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1472
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
The programs of the Division of Blood Diseases and Resources, NHLBI,
and the Neuroscience and Neuropsychology of Aging Program, NIA, are
described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance numbers 93.839
and 93.866 respectively.  Awards will be made under the authority of
the Public Health Service Act, Section 301 (42 USC 241) and
administered under PHS grants policies and Federal regulations, most
specifically 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not
subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order
12372, or to Health Systems Agency Review.
 
$$R6 END ************************************************************
 
**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS
THE CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.
APPLICANTS WHO USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO
FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE
ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS:
 
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20816