Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(44) 11/22/91
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 91 13:20 EST

Hi Paul,
  Please post this to the NIH Listserver as:
    NIHGUIDE.911122
         dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19911122 V20N44 P1O1 ************************************
X-comment: RFAs described: CA-92-03, DK-92-04, DK-92-10
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 20, No. 44 - November 22, 1991
 
$$INDEX BEGIN *******************************************************
 
               NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFAs AND RFPs)
 
$$INDEX R1 **********************************************************
 
ISO-ANTIGENIC TYPING OF MOUSE STRAINS (NCI-CM-27722-30)
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX R2 **********************************************************
 
CONSIGNEE FUNCTION AND QUARANTINE AGENT FOR NEW WORLD PRIMATES AND
RELATED RESEARCH (NIH-RR-92-10)
National Institutes of Health
INDEX:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
 
$$INDEX R3 **********************************************************
 
NCI SCIENCE ENRICHMENT PROGRAM (NCI-CN-25406-41)
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX R4 03/13/92 *************************************************
 
GENE REGULATION OF RADIATION RESISTANCE (CA-92-03)
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX R5 02/18/92 *************************************************
 
COORDINATING CENTER FOR INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS DATA BASE (DK-92-04)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
INDEX:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE, KIDNEY DISEASES
 
$$INDEX R6 03/13/92 *************************************************
 
REDUCTION IN MORTALITY AND MORBIDITY AMONG HEMODIALYSIS PATIENTS:
PILOT STUDY (DK-92-10)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
INDEX:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE, KIDNEY DISEASES
 
                     ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$INDEX P1 02/14/92 *************************************************
 
INSTITUTIONAL SHORT-TERM TRAINING FOR MINORITY STUDENTS PROGRAM (PA-92-
17)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
INDEX:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
 
                               ERRATUM
 
$$INDEX E1 **********************************************************
 
NATIONAL COOPERATIVE DRUG DISCOVERY GROUPS FOR THE TREATMENT OF
OPPORTUNISTIC INFECTIONS ASSOCIATED WITH ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY
SYNDROME (AI-91-15)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
INDEX:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
 
$$INDEX E2 **********************************************************
 
MINORITY DISSERTATION RESEARCH GRANTS IN AGING, 1992 (AG-91-14)
National Institute on Aging
INDEX:  AGING
 
$$INDEX END *********************************************************
 
               NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN NCI-CM-27722-30 ******************************************
 
ISO-ANTIGENIC TYPING OF MOUSE STRAINS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NCI-CM-27722-30
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0745065, 0710125
 
National Cancer Institute
 
The Biological Testing Program (BTP), Developmental Therapeutics
Program (DTP), Division of Cancer Treatment (DCT), National Cancer
Institute (NCI), National Institutes of Health (NIH), is seeking an
organization that has the capabilities to perform reciprocal tail skin
grafts between mice of various strain sublines and counterparts from
the NIH colony.  It is estimated that 6300 skin grafts involving 3,000
animals will be supplied at no charge to the contractor.
 
It is anticipated that one contract will be awarded for this effort, as
a result of this Request for Proposals (RFP), for a period of 60
months.  This RFP is a recompetition of the "Iso-Antigenic Typing of
Mouse Strains" project being performed by Northwestern University.  RFP
No. NCI-CM-27733-30 will be available on or about December 9, 1991, by
written request from:
 
Ms. Elsa B. Carlton
Contract Specialist, Research Contract Branch
Treatment Contract Section
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Room 603
9000 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD  20892
 
No collect calls will be accepted.  Responses will be due by January
24, 1992.
 
$$R1 END ************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN NIH-RR-92-10 *********************************************
 
CONSIGNEE FUNCTION AND QUARANTINE AGENT FOR NEW WORLD PRIMATES AND
RELATED RESEARCH
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-RR-92-10
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002002, 0780000
 
National Institutes of Health
 
The National Center for Research Resources (NCRR) has the mission of
developing and supplying animal research resources for the intramural
community at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and assisting in
the placement of research resources in extramural research institution
programs.  The purpose of the Consignee Function is to provide the
services of a consignee and holding facility for New World primates
imported into the United States from or with the Pan American Health
Organization and foreign governments of Central and South America.
Components of this requirement include, but are not limited to:
receiving animals at an airport that accommodates direct international
flights from source countries following clearance by U.S. Customs and
inspection by the U.S. Department of Agriculture; temporarily housing
animals; providing veterinary medical care, microbiological and
parasitological screening, and tissue collections, as needed; and
arranging the transshipment of animals to recipient research
institutions.  An additional requirement is to develop approaches and
recommend methodologies to acquire new clinical, husbandry, and/or
physiological data regarding the species entering the United States via
the proposed contract.  A three-year cost-reimbursement type contract
is anticipated.
 
The solicitation is scheduled for release on or about November 29,
1991, and proposals will be due on or about December 30, 1991.  All
responsible sources may submit a proposal that will be considered.
 
Requests for the Request for Proposals must be directed to:
 
Silver C. Jones
Contract Specialist, Research Contracts Branch
Division of Contracts and Grants
National Institutes of Health
Building 31, Room 1B44
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-4487
 
$$R2 END ************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN NCI-CN-25406-41 ******************************************
 
NCI SCIENCE ENRICHMENT PROGRAM
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NCI-CN-25406-41
 
P.T. 34, FF; K.W. 0502000, 0710030
 
National Cancer Institute
 
The National Cancer Institute (NCI), Division of Cancer Prevention and
Control, Cancer Control Science Program, is interested in soliciting
proposals for conducting regional, summer resident "Science Enrichment
Programs" for incoming tenth grade underrepresented minority and
underserved youth who have a demonstrated interest in science and/or
mathematics.  The goals of this program are:  (1) to encourage
underrepresented minority and underserved youth to pursue professional
and careers in science and research, and (2) to broaden and enrich
students' science, research and sociocultural backgrounds.  High
schools collaborating with colleges and/or universities, colleges,
universities, as well as cancer centers and schools of public health
are among the eligible offerors.  It is anticipated that several awards
will be made for a two-year period (with a two-year option clause), to
be incrementally funded as a cost-reimbursement type contract.  Two
pre-proposal conferences are anticipated, one in Bethesda, Maryland.
The Request for Proposals (RFP) will specify the location, dates, and
times for each conference.
 
Date of issue for this RFP will be approximately November 22, 1991,
with a closing date for proposals of January 10, 1992.  Anticipated
award date is mid May 1992.  This Resident Program is to be implemented
during the Summer of 1992.
 
Copies of the RFP may be obtained by sending a written request that
references RFP No. NCI-CN-25406-41 to:
 
Susan K. Hoffman, Contracting Officer
Research Contracts Branch, PCCS
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Room 635
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8603
 
$$R3 END ************************************************************
 
$$R4 BEGIN CA-92-03 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
GENE REGULATION OF RADIATION RESISTANCE
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  CA-92-03
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0765015, 1002058, 0745062
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  January 3, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  March 13, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The NCI announces the availability of a Request For Application (RFA)
for tightly focused studies that investigate the molecular/genetic
mechanisms responsible for the inherent radioresistance of human tumor
cells.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS), is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA, Gene
Regulation of Radiation Resistance, is related to the priority area of
cancer.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People
2000" (Full report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People
2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington,
D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic and foreign, for-profit and
nonprofit, public and private organizations, such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local governments,
and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.  Although NCI-funded
Cooperative Groups are ineligible to apply, individual institutions or
consortia of the Cooperative Groups may apply through their own
institutions.  Domestic applications may include international
components.  Applications from minority individuals and women are
encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
This RFA will use the National Institutes of Health (NIH) individual
research project grant (R01) funding mechanism.  Responsibility for the
planning, direction, and execution of the proposed project will be
solely that of the applicant.  Except as otherwise stated in this RFA,
awards will be administered under PHS grants policy as stated in the
Public Health Service Grants Policy Statement.  This RFA is a one-time
solicitation.  Future unsolicited competing continuation applications
will compete with all investigator-initiated applications and be
reviewed by a Division of Research Grants (DRG) study section.  If the
NCI determines that there is a sufficient continuing program need, the
NCI may announce a request for competitive continuation applications.
The total project period for applications submitted in response to the
present RFA may not exceed three years.  The anticipated award date
will be December 1, 1992.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
Approximately $1,000,000 in total costs per year for three years will
be committed to specifically fund applications submitted in response to
this RFA.  This funding level is dependant on the receipt of a
sufficient number of applications of high scientific merit.  NCI plans
to make multiple (four to five) awards for project periods up to three
years.  The total project period for applications submitted in response
to the present RFA may not exceed three years.  Although this program
is provided for in the financial plans of the NCI, the award of grants
pursuant to this RFA is also contingent upon the continuing
availability of funds for this purpose.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The purpose of this RFA is to stimulate research directed towards
identifying and characterizing the role that molecular/genetic
processes play in the inherent radioresistance observed in some solid
human tumor cells that often exceeds that of the normal cells.  Studies
must be directed toward investigating the various molecular/genetic
events that occur following radiation-induced damage and determining
how they relate to radiation resistance.  These studies may include,
but not be limited to, various facets of gene induction and expression,
i.e., regional transduction pathways, second messenger pathways,
oncogene products, growth factors, and molecular and/or biochemical
factors.
 
By better understanding the radiation resistance associated with human
tumor cells, it may be possible to modulate those mechanisms identified
as playing significant roles and thereby significantly improve the
clinical effect of radiation therapy.  Additionally, important
molecular and cellular prognostic factors for survival or recurrence of
malignancy in patients treated with radiotherapy may be identified from
the proposed studies.
 
STUDY POPULATION
 
It is NIH policy that women and minorities must be included in clinical
study populations unless there is a good reason to exclude them, and
the study design must seek to identify any pertinent gender or minority
population differences.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Copies of the RFA are available from the Program Director's office
listed below.  The United States Public Health Service research grant
application form PHS 398 (revised 10/88, reprinted 9/89) must be used
in applying for these grants.  Grant application forms are usually
available at most institutional business offices and from the NIH
Office of Grant Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, National
Institutes of Health, Room 449, Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard
Avenue, Bethesda, MD  20892; telephone (301) 496-7441.  The receipt
date for applications is March 13, 1992.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning this RFA are encouraged.
The opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from potential
applicants is welcome.
 
Direct inquiries regarding programmatic issues to:
 
Thomas A. Strike, Ph.D.
Radiation Research Program
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Suite 800
Bethesda, MD  20852
Telephone: (301) 496-9360
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Ms. Carolyn Mason
Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
6120 Executive Boulevard, Suite 243
Bethesda,  MD 20852
Telephone: (301) 496-7800   Ext. 59
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.395, (Clinical Treatment Research).  Awards are made under
authorization of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A.
(Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and
285), and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal
Regulations 42 CFR 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject
to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372
or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R4 END ************************************************************
 
$$R5 BEGIN DK-92-04 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
COORDINATING CENTER FOR INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS DATA BASE
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DK-92-04
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755018, 0413001, 0785055
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  January 10, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  February 18, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases, National
Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK),
announces the availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) for a
central data coordinating center that will participate with the
Clinical Centers in the development of a data base for interstitial
cystitis.  The data coordinating center will collect, maintain and
analyze data and assess patient samples provided by the Clinical
Centers.  The primary objectives of this investigation are:  (1) to
establish and maintain a data base of uniformly and accurately
collected information, including results of the analysis of clinical
samples, from patients with interstitial cystitis; (2) to study the
natural history of this disorder; and (3) to make available the data
base and patient samples for other interested investigators to conduct
epidemiological and clinical studies.  The assistance mechanism used to
support this study is the cooperative agreement.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Domestic universities, medical colleges, hospitals, and other public
and private research institutions, including State and local government
units, are eligible.  Applications from foreign institutions will not
be considered.  Applications from minority investigators and women are
encouraged.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The primary purpose of this program is to develop an interstitial
cystitis data base through the collection and analysis of information
and clinical samples from patients with the disorder.  The NIDDK will
support the function of a separate Data Coordinating Center (DCC) for
the study, that will have primary responsibility for collecting,
editing, storing, and analyzing data and assessing patient samples
provided by the Clinical Centers.  The DCC must be prepared to design
a data and patient specimen collection system, assure quality control
and provide appropriate detailed data reports to the Steering Committee
and to the External Advisory Committee at regular intervals.  The DCC
will be responsible for the logistics, planning, and funding of the
meetings of these committees.  The DCC will be expected to provide
appropriate biostatistics; data management; handling of patient
samples, interpretation, and distribution; and study-wide coordination
expertise. Applicants must provide a detailed description of prior
experience in multicenter studies and identify in the application a
collaborating Central Laboratory (or laboratories) for testing patient
samples, including bladder biopsies.  The Central Laboratory will be
responsible for establishing procedures for collection of patient
samples, including bladder biopsies, serum and urine samples, testing
these samples and reporting results to the DCC and Clinical Centers,
maintaining laboratory quality control procedures, and providing
periodic training in specimen collection and transport procedures.
 
The study will consist of three sequential phases: Phase I:
Development of Protocol (six to eight months); Phase II:  Recruitment
of Study Sample and Interim Data Analysis (48 months); and Phase III:
Final Data Analysis and Reporting (six months).  Phase I will be
completed by the study Steering Committee prior to the involvement of
the DCC.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Request
for Applications (RFA), Data Coordinating Center for the Interstitial
Cystitis Data Base, is related to the priority area of diabetes and
chronic disabling diseases.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of
"Healthy People 2000" (Full Report: Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) or
"Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1)
through the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC  20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The administrative and funding mechanism to be used to undertake this
program will be the cooperative agreement (U01).  It is anticipated
that one award of approximately $250,000 total costs for the first year
will be made under this RFA.  Funding is expected to begin in Fiscal
Year 1992; total support for the project will be for approximately five
years.
 
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF AWARD
 
The tasks and activities in which awardees will have substantial
responsibilities include data and patient sample collection, quality
control, final data analysis and interpretation, control of
publications, the logistics and funding of Steering Committee meetings,
and collaboration with Clinical Center awardees.  All awardees will
have primary access and rights to data and samples collected in this
study.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES AND CRITERIA
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed by NIDDK staff for
responsiveness to the objectives of this RFA.  Those applications
judged to be responsive will be further evaluated for scientific and
technical merit by an appropriate peer review group convened by the
Division of Extramural Activities, NIDDK, using criteria given in the
RFA.  Subsequent review will be by the National Diabetes and Digestive
and Kidney Diseases Advisory Council.
 
SEMINAR FOR PROSPECTIVE APPLICANTS
 
A one-day seminar for prospective applicants will be held approximately
one month after the publication of this announcement.  The purpose of
this seminar is to give background information on the clinical aspects
of interstitial cystitis, an update on the activities of the Clinical
Centers, and to respond to any questions about the preparation of an
application.  Interested persons may contact the Urology Program
Director, Dr. Leroy M. Nyberg, for further information (see below).
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Letter of Intent -- Prospective applicants are asked but not required
to submit a letter of intent to apply to the RFA.  This letter is to
include the name, telephone number and mailing address of the Principal
Investigator, the names of other key personnel, the name of the
applicant institution and the number and title of this RFA.  Letters of
intent to apply to this RFA are to be received no later than January
10, 1992 and are to be addressed to:
 
Dr. Robert D. Hammond
Chief, Review Branch
Division of Extramural Activities
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 603
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
Format for Applications -- Submit applications on form PHS 398 (revised
10/88, reprinted 9/89), the application form for the traditional NIH
research project grant.  Copies of this form are available in the
applicant institution's office of sponsored research and may be
obtained from Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants,
Westwood Building, Room 449, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda,
MD  20892, telephone (301) 496-7447.  Applications must be received by
February 18, 1992.  An application not received by this date will be
considered ineligible and returned to the applicant.
 
INQUIRIES
 
It is essential that prospective applicants obtain a copy of the RFA
before preparing an application.  Requests may be directed to:
 
Leroy M. Nyberg, Jr., Ph.D., M.D.,
Urology Program Director
Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 3A-05
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7133
FAX:  (301) 402-0223
 
Inquiries regarding fiscal and grants administration matters may be
directed to:
 
Mrs. Nancy Dixon
Grants Management Specialist
Division of Extramural Activities
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 639
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7467
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.849, Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases Research.  Awards
will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service Act,
Title III, Section 301 (Public Law 78-4110, as amended:  42 USC 241)
and administered under PHS Grants Policies and Federal Regulations 42
CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or
Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R5 END ************************************************************
 
$$R6 BEGIN DK-92-10 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
REDUCTION IN MORTALITY AND MORBIDITY AMONG HEMODIALYSIS PATIENTS:
PILOT STUDY
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DK-92-10
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0745025, 0715075, 0710095, 0755015
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  February 7, 1992
Applications Receipt Date:  March 13, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases, National
Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)
announces the availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) for
cooperative agreements to carry out a pilot clinical trial directed
toward reducing overall mortality and morbidity among the hemodialysis
patient population.  Areas of investigation may include an evaluation
of different modes of dialysis with respect to patient outcome.  For
instance, one objective of the clinical trial could be to assess the
effect of high-flux hemodialysis on mortality and morbidity.  The study
may include the design of a comprehensive and uniform program of high
quality medical care for control of blood pressure, lipid levels, and
diabetes, as well as appropriate nutrition counseling and management of
vascular access.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Domestic universities, medical colleges, hospitals, and other public
and private research institutions, including State and local government
units, are eligible.  Applications from minority investigators and
women are encouraged.  Applications from foreign institutions will not
be considered since only a small number of centers will be selected to
participate in this program.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Reduction in Mortality and Morbidity Among Hemodialysis Patients:
Pilot Study, is related to the priority area of diabetes and chronic
disabling diseases.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy
People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) or "Healthy
People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, DC
20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The primary purpose of this RFA is to initiate a collaborative pilot
study of hemodialysis therapy to investigate the modes and practices of
hemodialysis therapy for the purpose of reducing mortality and
morbidity among patients with end-stage renal disease.  The pilot study
will test the feasibility of conducting a full-scale randomized
clinical trial in an adequately sized patient population.  Patient
factors such as elevated blood pressure and lipid levels, diabetes,
vascular access site, as well as nutrition, may be managed in a uniform
manner among all randomized patients.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The assistance mechanism used to support the study is the cooperative
agreement (U01), which is similar to the traditional NIH research
grant.  The cooperative agreement mechanism is an award instrument
establishing an assistance relationship between NIH and a recipient, in
which substantial programmatic involvement is anticipated between NIH
and the recipient during performance of the contemplated activity.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
It is anticipated that six awards (four clinical centers, one Data
Coordinating Center, and one Intervention Coordinating Center) will be
made under this RFA for a total of approximately $1 million (including
direct and indirect costs) during the first year.  The funding level
for the Clinical Centers will be approximately $100,000 in total cost
for each Clinical Center, approximately $300,000 in total costs for the
Data Coordinating Center, and approximately $300,000 in total costs for
the Intervention Coordinating Center per year.  Funding is expected to
begin in September 1992; total support for the project will be for 30
months.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included or
adequately represented in the study populations for clinical studies,
a specific justification for this exclusion or inadequate
representation must be provided.  Applicants without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed by NIDDK staff for
responsiveness to the objectives of this RFA.  If an application is
judged unresponsive, the applicant will be contacted and given the
opportunity to withdraw the application, or to have it considered for
the investigator-initiated research grant program.  If the number of
applications is large compared to the number of awards to be made, the
NIDDK will conduct a preliminary scientific peer review and withdraw
applications from further competition if they are judged to they non-
competitive for award.  The NIDDK will notify the applicant and
institutional official of this action.
 
Those applications judged to be both responsive and competitive and
will be evaluated further for scientific and technical merit by an
appropriate peer review group convened by the Division of Extramural
Activities, NIDDK.  Subsequent review will be by the National Diabetes
and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Advisory Council.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88, reprinted
9/89) must be used in applying for these grants.  These forms are
available at most institutional business offices and from the Office of
Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, NIH, 5333 Westbard
Avenue, Room 449, Bethesda, MD  20892, telephone (301) 496-7441.
 
INQUIRIES
 
It is essential that potential applicants and other interested
individuals contact the Clinical Trials Program Director, NIDDK, to
obtain the RFA before preparing an application.  Written and telephone
inquiries are encouraged, and may be directed to:
 
John W. Kusek, Ph.D.
Clinical Trials Program Director
Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 3A04C
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7133
FAX:  (301) 402-0223
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Nancy C. Dixon
Supervisory Grants Management Specialist
Grants Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 649B
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7467
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
These programs are described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.849 Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases
Research.  Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health
Service Act, Title III,  Section 301 (Public Law 78-4110, as amended:
42 USC 241) and administered under PHS Grants Policies and Federal
Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not
subject to the intergovernmental requirements of Executive Order 12372
or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R6 END ************************************************************
 
                    ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-92-17 *************************************************
 
INSTITUTIONAL SHORT-TERM TRAINING FOR MINORITY STUDENTS PROGRAM
 
PA AVAILABLE:  PA-92-17
 
P.T. 44, FF; K.W. 0720005, 0710030, 0715040, 0715165, 0715032
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  January 6, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  February 14, 1992
 
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) announces the
availability of the second competition for the Institutional Short-Term
Training for Minority Students Program.  Copies of the Program
Guidelines are currently available from staff of the NHLBI (listed
below).
 
OBJECTIVES OF THE AWARD
 
(1) To bolster the exposure of minority undergraduate students,
graduate students, and students in health professional schools to
opportunities inherent in research careers in areas relevant to
cardiovascular, pulmonary, and hematologic* diseases.
 
(2) To bolster the already short supply of minority investigators and
attract highly qualified minority students
into biomedical and behavioral research careers.
 
* For the purposes of this award, the term "hematologic" covers
research on thrombosis and hemostasis,
immunohematology, blood cell disorders, sickle cell disease, blood
resources including blood component and derivative therapy, blood
substitutes and blood resource management, aspects of AIDS-products in
AIDS prevention and treatment, AIDS-related bone marrow and hematologic
disorders, and the lymphocirculatory system.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Domestic institutions and organizations, including minority
institutions, engaged in health related-research in areas pertaining to
heart, lung, and blood disorders may apply for grants.  These grants
will support short-term research training experiences of two to three
months duration for minority undergraduate students, minority students
in health professional schools, and minority graduate students.
Trainees appointed to the program need not be from the grantee
institution, but may include a number of minority students from other
institutions, schools, colleges, and universities.  Special attention
must be given to the recruitment of individuals from minority groups
that are underrepresented nationally in the biomedical and behavioral
sciences, i.e., African American, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans,
Alaskan Americans, and Pacific Islanders.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The mechanism of support is the institutional National Research Service
Award for Short-term Research Training (T35) for students in health
professional schools.  Institutions may request up to five years of
support for short-term training programs for at least four and not more
than 24 trainees per year.  The stipend level for trainees is $733 per
month.  Stipends may be supplemented from non-Federal funds.
Training-related expenses up to $125 per month per trainee may be
requested.  In addition, up to $700 per trainee may be requested to
cover domestic travel to and from the training site.  Trainee tuition
and fees, where necessary to the research training, must be covered by
the training-related expenses.  Indirect costs will be awarded based on
eight percent of total direct costs with no exclusions from the base
for training-related expenses.
 
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
 
All applications responding to this announcement will be reviewed for
scientific and technical merit by the Research Training Review
Committee of the Division of Extramural Affairs, NHLBI, followed by a
second level review by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Advisory
Council.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Each prospective applicant is requested to forward a letter of intent
that includes a descriptive title, the
name and address of the Program Director, the names and key
investigators, and any other participating institutions.  Such letters
are requested for the purposes of obtaining an indication of the number
and scope of the applications to be reviewed.  A letter of intent is
not binding, is not a requirement of submission, and does not enter
into the review of the application.  The letter of intent is requested
by January 6, 1992, and is to be addressed to:
 
Scientific Review Administrator
Research Training Review Committee
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 550
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
TIMETABLE
 
Letter of intent (optional):  January 6, 1992
Application receipt date:     February 14, 1992
Scientific review:            May/June 1992
Advisory Council review:      September 10-11, 1992
Award date:                   September 30, 1992
 
Copies of the Program Guidelines for this program may be obtained from
any of the following:
 
John Fakunding, Ph.D.
Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 3C04
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1724
 
Fann Harding, Ph.D.
Division of Blood Diseases and Resources
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 5A08
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1817
 
Mary Reilly, M.S.
Division of Lung Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 640A
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7668
 
For fiscal and administrative matters contact:
 
Grants Operations Branch
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 4A15C
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7255
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
Numbers 93.837, 93.838, and 93.839.  Awards will be made under the
authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title III, Section 301
(Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and administered under PHS
grants policies and Federal Regulations at 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR
Part 74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$P1 END ************************************************************
 
                               ERRATUM
 
$$E1 BEGIN R6 19911018 APPEND RFA AI-91-15 BOTH ************************
 
NATIONAL COOPERATIVE DRUG DISCOVERY GROUPS FOR THE TREATMENT OF
OPPORTUNISTIC INFECTIONS ASSOCIATED WITH ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY
SYNDROME
 
RFA:  AI-91-15
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 0715125, 0755025, 0710100
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date (revised):  November 22, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  January 16, 1992
 
The National Cooperative Drug Discovery Groups for the Treatment of
Opportunistic Infections Associated with Acquired Immunodeficiency
Syndrome (NCDDG-AIDS) Request for Applications (RFA) (NIH Guide for
Grants and Contracts - Vol. 20, No. 39, October 18, 1991) states that
research focusing on anti-folates or sulphonamides will not be
supported under this RFA.  This statement is amended to read:  With the
exception of investigations involving Cryptosporidium parvum, research
focusing on anti-folates or sulphonamides will not be supported under
this RFA.
 
In an effort to provide potential applicants with additional time to
prepare brief descriptions of proposed research, the receipt date for
the requested letter of intent is extended to November 22, 1991.
 
Inquiries concerning this RFA may be directed to:
 
Barbara Laughon, Ph.D.
Targeted Drug Discovery Section
Developmental Therapeutics Branch
Division of AIDS
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
6003 Executive Blvd.
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8197
 
$$E1 END ************************************************************
 
$$E2 BEGIN R6 19921004 APPEND RFA AG-91-14 BOTH ************************
 
MINORITY DISSERTATION RESEARCH GRANTS IN AGING, 1992
 
RFA:  AG-91-14
 
P.T. 34, FF; K.W. 0710010, 0720005
 
National Institute on Aging
 
Application Receipt Date:  March 11, 1992 (revised)
 
This Request for Applications (RFA) was announced in the NIH Guide to
Grants and Contracts, Vol. 20, No. 37, October 4, 1991.  The
application receipt date has been extended from December 20, 1991 to
March 11, 1992.
 
Small grants (R03) to support doctoral dissertation research will be
available in 1992 for underrepresented minorities.  Grant support is
designed to aid the research of new minority investigators and to
encourage individuals from a variety of academic disciplines and
programs to study problems in aging.  Specific research topics should
be discussed with NIA.  The interests of the programs are given in the
RFA, which is available from:
 
Phyllis B. Eveleth, Ph.D.
Deputy Associate Director and Training Officer
Office of Extramural Affairs
National Institute on Aging
Gateway Building, Suite 218
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9322
 
$$E2 END ************************************************************
 
**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS
THE CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.
APPLICANTS WHO USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO
FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE
ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS:
 
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20816