Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(46) 12/13/91 - P1/2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 91 09:53 EST

Hi Paul,
    There will be several items coming to you today from the
l2/l3/9l NIH Guide.  Please post this one to the NIH Listserver as:
     NIHGUIDE.911213
                    Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19911213 V20N46 P1O2 ************************************
X-comment: RFAs described: DC-92-03, OD-92-01, DK-92-11
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 20. No. 46 - December 13, 1991
 
$$INDEX BEGIN *******************************************************
 
                               NOTICES
 
$$INDEX N1 **********************************************************
 
DISCONTINUATION OF SUPPORT FOR DIAGNOSTIC AND INVESTIGATIVE
LABORATORIES
National Center for Research Resources
INDEX:  RESEARCH RESOURCES
 
$$INDEX N2 **********************************************************
 
NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY SYNDROME
RESEARCH LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM
National Institutes of Health
INDEX:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
 
$$INDEX N3 **********************************************************
 
CONFERENCE: "AGING--THE QUALITY OF LIFE"
National Institutes of Health
INDEX:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
 
$$INDEX N4 **********************************************************
 
NOTICE OF REGIONAL MEETINGS
National Institutes of Health
INDEX:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
 
$$INDEX N5 **********************************************************
 
NOTICE OF POLICY CHANGE - FIRST INDEPENDENT RESEARCH SUPPORT AND
TRANSITION AWARD
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
INDEX:  ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, MENTAL HEALTH
 
               NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$INDEX R1 **********************************************************
 
SENSORY FEEDBACK SIGNAL DERIVATION FROM AFFERENT NEURONS (RFP NIH-
NINDS-92-04)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
INDEX:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE
 
$$INDEX R2 **********************************************************
 
PRODUCTION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES AGAINST H-2
CELL MEMBRANE ANTIGENS (RFP NIH-NIAID-DAIT-92-12)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
INDEX:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
$$INDEX R3 02/19/92 *************************************************
 
TREATMENT AND REHABILITATION OF ADULT APHASIA (RFA DC-92-03)
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
INDEX:  DEAFNESS, COMMUNICATION DISORDER
 
$$INDEX R4 05/15/92 *************************************************
 
MINORITY YOUTH HEALTH BEHAVIOR RESEARCH:  THE DEVELOPMENT AND
EVALUATION OF INTERVENTIONS (RFA OD-92-01)
National Institutes of Health
INDEX:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
 
$$INDEX R5 03/13/92 *************************************************
 
THE BIOLOGY OF KIDNEY DISEASE AND HYPERTENSION IN BLACKS (RFA DK-92-
11)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
INDEX:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE, KIDNEY DISEASES; HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
 
                               ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$INDEX P1 **********************************************************
 
INDIVIDUAL POSTDOCTORAL AND SENIOR FELLOWSHIPS IN GENOMIC ANALYSIS
AND TECHNOLOGY AND THE ETHICAL, LEGAL AND SOCIAL IMPLICATIONS OF
HUMAN GENOME RESEARCH (PA-92-21)
National Center for Human Genome Research
INDEX:  HUMAN GENOME
 
$$INDEX P2 **********************************************************
 
NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARDS IN GENOMIC ANALYSIS (PA-92-22)
National Center for Human Genome Research
INDEX:  HUMAN GENOME
 
$$INDEX P3 **********************************************************
 
COMPARATIVE MEDICINE RESEARCH PROGRAM PROJECTS (PA-92-23)
National Center for Research Resources
INDEX:  RESEARCH RESOURCES
 
$$INDEX P4 **********************************************************
 
SMALL GRANT PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON
DEAFNESS AND OTHER COMMUNICATION DISORDERS (PA-92-24)
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
INDEX:  DEAFNESS, COMMUNICATION DISORDERS
 
$$INDEX END *********************************************************
 
                               NOTICES
 
$$N1 BEGIN **********************************************************
 
DISCONTINUATION OF SUPPORT FOR DIAGNOSTIC AND INVESTIGATIVE
LABORATORIES
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0780000, 1014002
 
National Center for Research Resources
 
The National Center for Research Resources announces the
discontinuation of its grant program for Diagnostic and Investigative
Laboratories, also termed Animal Resource Laboratories.  Effective
immediately, new and competing continuation applications for this
activity will no longer be accepted.  However, previously committed
non-competing continuation support within approved competitive
segments will be provided, in accord with customary award practices,
until the completion of the current competitive segment.
 
The Diagnostic and Investigative Laboratory activity will be
superseded by the new Comparative Medicine Research Program Project
activity, that is described in a program announcement published in
this issue of the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts.
 
Questions regarding this notice should be directed to:
 
Comparative Medicine Program
National Center for Research Resources
Westwood Building, Room 857
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5175
 
$$N1 END ************************************************************
 
$$N2 BEGIN **********************************************************
 
NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY SYNDROME
RESEARCH LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM
 
P.T. 23; K.W. 1014002, 0502024
 
National Institutes of Health
 
Application Receipt Date:  January 21, 1992
 
This notice is a republication, with minor modifications, of a
November 23, 1990 (Vol. 19, No. 42), issuance on this subject.  It is
being reissued to emphasize its availability.
 
SUMMARY
 
Approved by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) on June 15,
1990, under the requirements of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1980,
the National Institutes of Health (NIH) announces the availability of
educational loan repayment under the National Institutes of Health
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) Research Loan Repayment
Program ["Program"].  The Program, which is authorized by section
487A of the Public Health Service (PHS) Act (42 U.S.C. 288-1), as
amended by section 634 of the Health Omnibus Programs Extension of
1988 (Pub. L. 100-607), provides for the repayment of a sizeable
portion of the accumulated educational loan debt of health
professionals who agree to conduct, as employees of the NIH, research
with respect to AIDS.  The Program provides for repayment of up to
$20,000 of the principal and interest of the educational loans of
qualified health professionals for each year of obligated service.
The Program is limited to qualified health professionals who have a
substantial amount of educational loan debt relative to income, and
who were NOT employed by the NIH during the period of November 4,
1987 through November 3, 1988.  The purpose of the Program is to
increase the number of investigators conducting AIDS research at the
NIH.  The NIH, through this notice, invites health professionals
interested in engaging in AIDS research to apply for participation in
the NIH AIDS Research Loan Repayment Program.
 
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION
 
On November 4, 1988, the United States Congress enacted Public Law
100-607, the "Health Omnibus Programs Extension of 1988," which
directs the NIH to establish a program of educational loan repayment
to attract additional investigators into AIDS research.  The Program
provides for the repayment of a sizeable portion of the accumulated
educational loan debt of qualified health professionals who are
engaged in AIDS research.
 
The Office of AIDS Research, NIH, which is responsible for the
administration of the Program, will establish periodic deadline dates
for the receipt of applications. January 21, 1992 is the next
deadline date for the review of ICD-endorsed applications.
 
The Program pays a maximum of $20,000 a year directly to a
participant's lenders for qualifying educational debt during an
initial, minimum two-year service period.  The actual loan repayment
is based, in part, on the availability of funding as well as the
proportion of the participant's qualifying debt relative to their NIH
basic pay or stipend at the effective date of Program participation.
Since such payments to lenders are considered income for the Program
participant and increases his/her Federal tax liability, the Program
will make payments, equal to 39 percent of the total loan repayments,
directly towards the participant's Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
account.  The Program may make additional tax reimbursements to those
participants who show an increase in State and/or local tax
liability.  Benefits are in addition to annual basic pay or stipend.
 
The Program will repay lenders for the principal, interest, and
related expenses (such as the required insurance premiums on the
unpaid balances of some loans) of qualified Government (Federal,
State, and local) and commercial educational loans obtained by
participants for the following:  (1) undergraduate, graduate, and
health professional school tuition expenses; (2) other reasonable
educational expenses required by the school(s) attended, including
fees, books, supplies, educational equipment and materials, and
laboratory expenses; and (3) reasonable living expenses, including
the cost of room and board, transportation and commuting costs, and
other reasonable living expenses as determined by the Program.
 
The following loans are NOT repayable under the Program: (1) loans
not obtained from a Government entity or commercial lending
institution, such as loans from friends and relatives; (2) loans for
which contemporaneous documentation is not available; (3) loans or
portions of loans obtained for educational or living expenses that
exceed the "reasonable" level as determined by the standard school
budget for the year in which the loan was made, and are not
determined by the Program to be reasonable based on additional
documentation provided by the applicant; and (4) loans, financial
debts, or service obligations incurred under the Physicians Shortage
Area Scholarship Program, National Research Service Award Program,
Public Health and National Health Service Corps Scholarship Training
Program, National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program, Armed
Forces (Army, Navy, or Air Force) Health Professions Scholarship
Program, and Indian Health Service Scholarship Program.
 
Loans in default, or loans not current in payment schedule, will not
be considered as qualifying for repayment. Repayments will only be
made for loans with current payment status.  During lapses in loan
repayments, due either to Program administrative complications or a
break in service, Program participants are wholly responsible for
making payments or any other arrangements that maintain loans in a
current payment status.  Penalties assessed to participants as a
result of Program administrative failures to maintain current payment
status may be considered for reimbursement.
 
Payments will NOT be made under the Program for loans that
participants have paid prior to the effective date of Program
participation.
 
In return for the repayment of their educational loans, participants
must agree to:  (1) be primarily engaged, defined by the AIDS
Research Loan Repayment Advisory Committee (LRAC) to be 80 percent of
a researcher's time, in AIDS research as employees of the NIH for a
minimum period of two years; (2) make payments to lenders on their
own behalf for periods of leave without pay; and (3) pay monetary
damages as required in cases where the initial contract is breached.
Substantial monetary penalties will be imposed for breach of
contract.  Applicants must submit a signed contract, as part of the
application package prepared by the Program, for consideration under
the Program.
 
At the conclusion of the initial contract, participants may reapply
and be considered for subsequent, one-year continuation contracts.
Continuation contracts are based upon the same review criteria as the
initial contract, in addition to a submission that describes AIDS
research accomplishments made during the initial contract.  These
continuation contracts are approved on a year-to-year basis and
contingent upon the appropriation and availability of funds.
 
AIDS research includes studies of the human immunodeficiency virus
(HIV), the pathophysiology of HIV infection, the development of
models of HIV infection and its sequelae, cofactors predisposing to
HIV infection and AIDS or its sequelae, and the development of
vaccines and therapeutics. More specifically, the following research
activities are included:  (1) studies of HIV and related
retroviruses; (2) studies of the mechanism(s) by which HIV and
related retroviruses establish infection and infect host cells; (3)
studies of the mechanism(s) by which HIV and related retroviruses
cause disease, including studies of the immune deficiency induced by
HIV and related retroviruses; (4) studies of the pathophysiology of
host response to HIV infection; (5) studies of in vivo or in vitro
models of human HIV infection and its sequelae; (6) epidemiologic
studies of HIV and related retrovirus infection; (7) clinical trials
involving prophylaxis or therapy for HIV infection or its sequelae;
(8) preclinical studies aimed at the development of therapy for or
prevention of HIV infection and the immunodeficiency caused by HIV
infection and its sequelae; (9) cofactors predisposing to acquiring
HIV infection; (10) basic studies and clinical trials involving
vaccines, or other immunological or chemotherapeutic interventions
for the prevention of HIV infection and its sequelae; and (11) basic
studies into the transmission of HIV involving high-risk behaviors
and research concerning the interruption of transmission by
behavioral change and pharmacologic intervention.
 
AIDS researchers include scientists who are intellectually engaged in
the process of providing scientific direction and guidance in
programs of original AIDS research, specifically epidemiologists,
statisticians, and others who are involved in the design and conduct
of research studies.  The duties of such scientists may include the
generation and design of studies and the collation and analysis of
data; and/or the preparation and publication, as author or co-author,
of studies in peer-reviewed journals.  AIDS researchers also include
physicians who are providing care for HIV-infected individuals who
are subjects of HIV-related research.
 
Because the Program will be most attractive to individuals at the
beginning stages of their research careers when they still have
substantial educational loan debt, it is anticipated that most
participants will be employed as Clinical or Research Associates,
Staff or Senior Staff Fellows (including PRAT and Epidemiology), and
Visiting Associates.  Occasionally, investigators who are more senior
may also wish to participate.  These individuals may include the
following:  regular Civil Service employees (either temporary or
permanent), NIH Special Experts, Visiting Scientists, and
Commissioned Officers in the USPHS Commissioned Corps.
 
Individuals wishing to apply to the Program must first obtain a firm
employment commitment from an Institute, Center, or Division (ICD)
Personnel Department.  An initiating official, that may be a
laboratory or branch chief, must recommend an individual for
application to the Program, and the ICD Scientific Program Director
and ICD Director must concur.  Participation in the Program is
contingent, in part, upon employment with the NIH, and candidates may
not be recommended for loan repayment by an ICD until a firm
employment commitment has been made by the ICD Personnel Department.
Thereafter, these applications are reviewed by the LRAC.  The LRAC,
which is composed of intramural and extramural scientific staff,
review, rank, and approve or disapprove applicants.  LRAC approval,
in part, is based on the appropriateness of the research assignment
to AIDS research and the scientific merit of the research.
Eligibility for Program participation may be effective retroactive to
the Entrance on Duty date when applicants begin their qualified AIDS
research assignment prior to LRAC approval.  The award of funds is
contingent upon the availability of funds appropriated by the
Congress of the United States for the NIH.
 
Under the Program, payments will be made directly to lenders on a
quarterly basis at the completion of each quarter of a participant's
satisfactory service.
 
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
 
Specific eligibility criteria with regard to participation in the NIH
AIDS Research Loan Repayment Program include the following:
 
(1) Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
 
(2) Applicants must have a Ph.D., M.D., D.O., D.D.S., D.M.D., D.V.M.,
or equivalent degree.
 
(3) Applicants must have educational debt in excess of 20 percent of
their annual basic pay or stipend at entrance on duty, resulting from
governmental or commercial loans obtained to support their
undergraduate and/or graduate education.
 
(4) Individuals who are not NIH employees, such as Visiting Fellows,
Intramural Research Training Award recipients, National Research
Service Award recipients, Guest Researchers or Special Volunteers,
NIH National Research Council Biotechnology Research Associates
Program participants, and Intergovernmental Personnel Act
participants, may NOT participate in the Program.
 
(5) Individuals employed by the NIH during the period November 4,
1987 through November 3, 1988 are INELIGIBLE.
 
(6) Applicants may be appointed under a temporary or permanent
employment mechanism as long as their employment has the potential to
last a minimum of two years.
 
(7) Individuals with existing service obligations to Federal, State,
or other entities will NOT be considered for the Program UNLESS
deferrals are granted for the length of their service obligation
under the Program.
 
(8) Applicants will NOT be excluded from consideration under the
Program on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, handicap,
age, national origin, or political affiliation.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Information regarding the Program may be obtained by calling or
writing:
 
Marc S. Horowitz, J.D.
Director, NIH AIDS Research Loan Repayment Program
Office of AIDS Research
Building 31, Room 5C12
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0192
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This Program is not subject to the provisions of Executive Order
12372, Intergovernmental Review of Federal Programs.  This Program
was granted OMB clearance on June 15, 1990, under the requirements of
the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1980, and has been designated OMB No.
0925-0361.  This Program has been assigned Catalog of Federal
Domestic Assistance (CFDA) Number 93.936 - NIH Acquired
Immunodeficiency Syndrome Research Loan Repayment Program.
 
$$N2 END ************************************************************
 
$$N3 BEGIN **********************************************************
 
CONFERENCE: "AGING--THE QUALITY OF LIFE"
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 0710010, 0745035
 
National Institutes of Health
 
The Christopher Columbus Medical Sciences Committee of the National
Institutes of Health, in conjunction with several NIH institutes, the
Food and Drug Administration, and the Italian National Research
Council, has organized a major international conference that will be
held at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, DC, February 10-12,
1992.  The conference is part of the commemoration of the
Quincentenary of Christopher Columbus' epic voyage to the Americas.
 
A banquet will be held in the evening of February 11.  Presentation
of the prestigious Christopher Columbus Discovery Awards to
outstanding scientists in biomedical research will be the highlight
of the banquet.
 
Topics and speakers at the Plenary Session on Monday, February 10,
will be:
 
o  Searching for the Fountain of Youth: 500 Years of Research to
Understand Aging; Dr. Robert N. Butler, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, New
York;
 
o  Age Associated Changes in Cardiovascular Function in Response to
Exercise; Dr. Myron Weisfeldt, Columbia University, New York;
 
o  Nutrition, Aging and Disease: The Metabolic Crossroads; Dr. Edwin
L. Bierman, University of Washington;
 
o  Drug Metabolism/Pharmacology in the Aging; Dr. Grant R. Wilkenson,
Vanderbilt University;
 
o  The Brain:  Lighthouse of the Aging Years; Dr. Fred Plum, Cornell
Medical Center;
 
o  Osteoporosis, Osteoarthrosis, and Other Musculoskeletal Disorders
in the Elderly; Dr. Lawrence E. Shulman, National Institutes of
Health;
 
o  The Effect of Chronological Age on Cancer Biology and Therapy; Dr.
Emil J. Freireich, M.D. Anderson Hospital;
 
o  Implications of Aging for the Individual and Society; Dr. Robert
H. Binstock, Case Western Reserve; and
 
o  Medicare: What is Covered?/What is not Covered?; Dr. Gail
Wilensky, Administrator,  Health Care Financing Administration.
 
Concurrent sessions dealing with cardiovascular, brain, cancer,
musculoskeletal, healthy aging, nutrition, obesity and urogenital
research, featuring outstanding biomedical scientists, will be held
on the second and third days.  An interdisciplinary poster session
will be held on Tuesday, February 11.  Summary reports and future
challenges will be presented at the final plenary session to close
the conference on the third day.
 
The conference will be of interest to scientists, public health
officials, policy makers and analysts, and the general public.
 
Continuing Medical Education credits for 21.5 hours in Category 1 of
the Physician's Recognition Award of the American Medical Association
are available.
 
Registration for the three-day conference is $200 if paid in advance
or $250 on site.  Early registration of $150 has been extended to
December 15, 1991.  Those interested in program and registration
information should contact:
 
Aging:  Quality of Life Conference
Suzanne Kuntz, Conference Coordinator
655 Fifteenth St., N.W., Suite 300
Washington, DC  20005
Telephone:  (202) 639-4524
FAX:  (202) 347-6109
 
$$N3 END ************************************************************
 
$$N4 BEGIN **********************************************************
 
NOTICE OF REGIONAL MEETINGS
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 1014006, 1014002
 
National Institutes of Health
 
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has been engaged in a
strategic planning process aimed at developing the Agency's first
corporate long-range Strategic Plan.  The purpose of the NIH
Strategic Plan is to:  (1) identify areas of research that promise
extraordinary dividends for the Nation's future health, (2) nurture
the intellectual base of biomedical research and the conditions that
lead to breakthroughs on the cutting edge of science, and (3) provide
approaches for addressing broad administrative and science policy
issues that affect the ability of the NIH to carry out its mandate.
The Strategic Plan incorporates the ideas of all the organizational
components of the NIH as well as the research components of the
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA).
 
The NIH will convene two regional meetings to provide a forum for the
extramural community to comment on the draft Strategic Plan before it
is finalized.  The first meeting will take place on February 12,
1992, at Occidental College, Los Angeles, California, and will be
co-hosted by Occidental College and the Charles R. Drew University of
Medicine and Science.  The second meeting will be held on February
25, at the University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington,
Connecticut.
 
Each of the regional meetings will be of one day duration, beginning
at 9 a.m. and ending at 3 p.m.  The meetings will begin with the NIH
Director presenting an overview of the NIH Strategic Plan.
Immediately afterwards, representatives of concerned organizations
and institutions will be invited to present testimony before a panel
of senior NIH officials, to be chaired by the Director, NIH.  Due to
time constraints, it would be appreciated if only one representative
from each organization would present testimony; oral presentations
will be limited to five minutes.  Written testimony may be any length
and should include a brief description of the organization
presenting.  Testimony will be scheduled based upon when notification
of intent to present testimony is received.  If the number of
organizations that want to present oral testimony exceeds the time
available on the agenda, the individual written statements will serve
as testimony presented.  All testimony, whether oral or written, will
form a part of the official record of the NIH Strategic Plan.
 
If you or others from your organization who plan to attend one of
these regional meetings have any special needs that require
assistance, please inform the office listed below.  If you have
questions concerning either of the two regional meetings, please
contact Ms. Mary Demory (301) 496-1454.
 
If you will be attending one of the regional meetings or if your
organization would like to testify before the NIH panel, please
provide the name, title, institution, telephone number, and mailing
address of the individual attending.  Indicate which regional meeting
and whether or not testimony will be presented.  The requested
information is to be sent by mail or facsimile no later than December
16, 1991 to:
 
NIH Strategic Plan Regional Meetings
c/o Dr. Jay Moskowitz
NIH, Building 1, Room 103
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
FAX:  (301) 402-1759
 
A copy of the Draft NIH Strategic Plan and additional information
will be sent prior to the regional meetings to participants attending
and/or testifying.
 
$$N4 END ************************************************************
 
$$N5 BEGIN **********************************************************
 
NOTICE OF POLICY CHANGE - FIRST INDEPENDENT RESEARCH SUPPORT AND
TRANSITION AWARD
 
P.T. 34; 1014006
 
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
 
The Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA)
announces that effective February 1, 1992, applications for the First
Independent Research Support and Transition (FIRST) Award must be
accompanied by at least three letters of reference.  FIRST applicants
are to request the letters of reference well in advance of the
application submission, advising the referees to return the reference
letters to the applicant in sealed envelopes as soon as possible.
The sealed envelopes must be attached to the front of the original
application.  Applications not containing these letters will be
returned to the applicant.
 
Additionally, effective February 1, 1992, applicants for the FIRST
award must request five years of support.  Applications requesting
fewer than five years of research support will be designated as R01s
and so reviewed unless the applicant withdraws the application.
 
$$N5 END ************************************************************
 
                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN NIH-NINDS-92-04 ******************************************
 
SENSORY FEEDBACK SIGNAL DERIVATION FROM AFFERENT NEURONS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NINDS-92-04
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705070, 0710085, 0706010
 
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
 
The Neural Prosthesis Program of the National Institute of
Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, is
seeking a contract to determine the feasibility of extracting sensory
information about fingertip contact and slip from chronic recordings
of gross peripheral nerve activity using cuff electrodes.  This
investigation will include a feasibility study, in animals, of
deriving sensory feedback signals from peripheral nerve recordings on
a chronic basis.  It also will include a study, in human cadaver
material, of the most suitable sites for implantation of cuff
electrodes for extracting sensory information about the hand.  The
project will focus on those nerves most likely to provide information
about fingertip contact and slip during hand grasp.  Personnel with
established expertise in sensory physiology and chronic electrical
recording in peripheral nerves are required.  It is anticipated that
one award will be made for a period of three years in July 1992.
 
This is not a Request for Proposals (RFP).  To receive a copy of the
RFP, submit a written request to the following address and enclose
two self-addressed mailing labels.  All responsible sources shall be
considered by the agency.  The RFP will be issued on or about
December 18, 1991, with proposals due on February 17, 1992.
 
Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Attention:  RFP No. NIH-NINDS-92-04
 
$$R1 END ************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN NIH-NIAID-DAIT-92-12 *************************************
 
PRODUCTION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES AGAINST H-2
CELL MEMBRANE ANTIGENS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NIAID-DAIT-92-12
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0760045, 0710070, 0715015, 0755020, 0760060
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
The National Institute of Health (NIH) has a requirement for the
production and characterization of immunogens and monoclonal
antibodies against H-2 cell membrane antigens and determination of
their effects in experimental models of human autoimmune diseases.
 
The Clinical Immunology Branch of the Division of Allergy, Immunology
and Transplantation, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious
Diseases (NIAID), is soliciting contract proposals from organizations
having the capabilities and facilities to prepare peptides
corresponding to murine Class II MHC antigens using synthetic
methods; to prepare monoclonal antibodies against these peptides
(immunogens); and to test their effects in the induction,
development, or progression of autoimmune disease in experimental
animals.
 
The NIAID-sponsored project shall take approximately five years to
complete.  This shall be a cost-reimbursement type contract.  It is
anticipated that two contracts will be awarded.  The project will
require a high level of expertise in peptide synthesis, monoclonal
antibody production, and characterization and availability of animal
models of human autoimmune disease.
 
This is an announcement for an anticipated Request for Proposal
(RFP).  RFP-NIH-NIAID-DAIT-92-12 shall be issued on or about December
16, 1991, with a closing date tentatively set for January 29, 1992.
Requests for the RFP shall be directed in writing to:
 
Ms. Sylvia Cunningham
Contracting Officer, Contract Management Branch
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
The Solar Building/Room 3C07
6003 Executive Boulevard
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
To receive a copy of the RFP, supply this office with two self-
addressed labels.  All responsible sources may submit a proposal that
will be considered.
 
This advertisement does not commit the Government to award a
contract.
 
$$R2 END ************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN DC-92-03 FULL-TEXT **************************************
 
TREATMENT AND REHABILITATION OF ADULT APHASIA
 
RFA AVAILABLE: DC-92-03
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715050, 0715055, 0710085, 0404000, 0710030
 
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  February 3, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  February 19, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
(NIDCD), through the Division of Communication Sciences and
Disorders, announces the availability of the Request for Applications
(RFA), "Treatment and Rehabilitation of Adult Aphasia."
 
BACKGROUND
 
A significant and debilitating effect of stroke is aphasia, a
language disorder involving total or partial impairment of the
capacity to understand and/or produce spoken language, as well as
impairments of the ability to read or write.  Most aphasic
individuals receive some form of treatment for these language
deficits.  Previous research has indicated that treatment efforts are
effective with some subgroups of aphasia, while other aphasic
individuals remain severely impaired despite long-term treatment.
Further research is needed into issues associated with treatment of
aphasia and the development and refinement of effective treatment
protocols.  This RFA encourages applications that propose research
addressing treatment issues and rehabilitation of adult aphasia.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
The following organizations are eligible to apply:  foreign and
domestic, non-profit institutions of higher education, other
non-profit and for-profit organizations, State and local governments
and their agencies, and authorized Federal agencies.
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The understanding of behavioral, linguistic, and neurological
correlates of adult aphasia continues to expand.  In addition, a
number of recent advances have occurred in the treatment of adult
aphasia.  Research has indicated that some profoundly aphasic
patients can learn a computerized technique for exchanging
information by manipulating visual symbols.  Results of
pharmacological treatment have shown promise in the amelioration of
selective disorders of aphasia, such as impairments of speech
initiation, through the use of the dopamine agonist bromocriptine.
Efficacy of specific therapeutic techniques has been demonstrated,
among them, the elimination of perseverative intrusions of earlier
utterances.  Additional intervention strategies currently being
tested include treatment protocols targeted directly at theoretically
defined language components that are found to be impaired.  A limited
number of such studies conducted to date have demonstrated measurable
improvement among individual aphasic patients many years following
onset of their aphasia.
 
In general, however, research into the development of treatment
protocols, and the efficacy of those treatments remains limited.
Techniques and commercially available treatment plans have found
their way into the clinical arena often with little attention to
usefulness with specific subgroups, evidences of efficacy, or
attempts to merge theoretical constructs with clinical procedures.
It remains unclear why treatment is effective for some but
ineffective for other aphasic individuals.  Theories of treatment
need to be developed in order to place therapeutic efforts on
scientific foundations.  Efforts must be increased to match patient
characteristics to treatment paradigms and ascertain the proper level
of description, for only with adequate description of those
characteristics can selection and specification of treatment occur.
Approaches to the remediation of language disorders require objective
and reliable information about the nature and stability of patients'
symptoms.  Assessment instruments that provide such information are
needed in light of new research findings that have clarified symptom
and deficit relationships.  Existing assessment procedures must be
revised and improved in order to bring them into line with current
understanding of the relationship of patients' symptoms to underlying
language deficits.
 
Proposed research programs would benefit from a number of
interdisciplinary approaches.  For example, interdisciplinary models
of the treatment process might include speech-language pathology,
neuropsychology, pharmacology, and computer sciences.  There is a
need to coordinate efforts of researchers in all areas of cognitive
science and rehabilitation.  Cognitive neurolinguistic approaches and
theories regarding the neural basis of language should be utilized
and pursued.  Social science methodologies are needed to examine the
psychosocial aspects of aphasia.  Documentation of changes and
improvements resulting from treatment and not other variables is
required from all professionals providing treatment to individuals
with adult aphasia.
 
Applications in response to this RFA may utilize single subject or
group designs and address the above issues, the following specific
topics, or other related areas:
 
o  Demonstration of the efficacy and efficiency of existing
intervention strategies for aphasia treatment.
 
o  Development and validation of novel, innovative, theory-based
techniques of treatment.
 
o  Assessment of short- and long-term effects of specific treatments.
 
o  Identifications of aphasia subgroups or subtypes most responsive
to specific treatments.
 
o  Characterization of patients with successful responses to
treatment.
 
o  Identification of the variables most important in predicting
success in treatment, for example, the effects of intensity and
duration of treatment on improvement.
 
o  Identification of factors that contribute to or limit
generalization (carry-over) of language skills.
 
o  Evaluation of recovery from aphasia, with and without treatment,
and processes whereby recovery is maximized.
 
o  Assessment of impact of specific language ability training on
other language skills, for example, the effects of language
production training on comprehension skills.
 
o  Determination of most effective focus of treatment: deficit vs.
strength oriented.
 
o  Exploration of the use of neuroradiographic techniques pre- and
post-treatment in documenting brain reorganization.
 
o  Examination of the use of pharmacotherapy in the treatment of
aphasia.
 
o  Development and evaluation of alternative and augmentative
communication systems for adults with language deficits.
 
o  Investigation of social and psychological factors that have the
potential to affect treatment outcome.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Applicants are requested to submit a letter of intent to Dr. Judith
Cooper at the address below on or before February 3, 1992.  The
letter is to include a descriptive title investigators who may be
involved, and any  collaborating participants outside the applicant
institution.  The NIDCD requests such letters only for planning
purposes and to provide an indication of the number and scope of
applications to be received and, therefore, will not acknowledge
their receipt.  A letter of intent is not binding, it will not enter
into the review of any application subsequently submitted, nor is it
a necessary requirement.
 
Applications must be submitted on form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88) using the
instructions included in the application kit.  These kits are
available from the NIDCD Program Administrator address cited above
and from the Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of
Health, Westwood Building, Room 449, Bethesda, MD  20892, telephone
301/496-7441.
 
Receipt date for applications is February 19, 1992.  Applications
received after February 19, 1992 will be returned to the applicant.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and scope
of the RFA, and inquiries about whether or not specific proposed
research would be responsive, are encouraged.  The opportunity to
clarify any issues or questions from potential applicants is
welcomed.
 
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of the RFA by contacting:
 
Judith A. Cooper, Ph.D.
Deputy Director, Division of Communication Sciences and Disorders
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Executive Plaza South, Room 400-B
6120 Executive Boulevard
Rockville, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5061
FAX:  (301) 402-6251
 
For budgetary and fiscal questions, contact:
 
Sharon Hunt
Grants Management Officer
NationalInstitute on Deafness and Other Communication disorders
Executive Plaza South, Room 400-B
6120 Executive boulevard
Rockville, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0909
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.855.  Awards will be made under the authority of
the Public Health Service Act, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as
amended; 42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grants policies and
Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  The program
is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R3 END ************************************************************
 
$$R4 BEGIN OD-92-01 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
MINORITY YOUTH HEALTH BEHAVIOR RESEARCH:  THE DEVELOPMENT AND
EVALUATION OF INTERVENTIONS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  OD-92-01
 
P.T. 34, FF; K.W. 0404000, 0715027, 0404023, 0745027
 
National Institutes of Health
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  February 1, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  May 15, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) announces the availability of
a Request for Applications (RFA) for cooperative agreements to
develop, implement, and evaluate a coordinated program of community-
based health behavior interventions to lower the unacceptably high
rates of morbidity and mortality among minority youth.  Applications
responsive to this RFA must include, but are not limited to,
strategies for decreasing violence-related injuries and deaths,
sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted or unintended pregnancies.
The NIH also invites applications for a Data Center that will manage
data from the research from the other awardees.  Although this is an
NIH-wide initiative, the National Institute for Child Health and
Human Development (NICHD), in close cooperation with the Office of
Minority Programs at NIH, will be the lead Institute.  One NIH/NICHD
staff person will participate as the Project Coordinator and will
facilitate grantee access to expertise in other NIH components when
appropriate.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Minority Youth Health Behavior Research:  The Development and
Evaluation of Interventions, is related to the priority areas of the
prevention of violent and abusive behaviors, education and community
based programs, family planning and the prevention of HIV infection
and sexually transmitted diseases.  Potential applicants may obtain a
copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic for-profit and non-profit,
public and private organizations, such as universities, colleges,
hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local governments, and
eligible agencies of the Federal Government.  Applications from
minority individuals and women are encouraged.  For-profit
organizations must note that no profit or fees may be requested under
financial assistance awards.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
This RFA will use the National Institutes of Health (NIH) cooperative
agreement mechanism (U01).  Under its terms, the awardee defines the
details of the project within the guidelines of the RFA, retains
primary responsibility for implementation, data collection, analysis
and interpretation, preparation of publications, and collaboration
with other awardees.  The awardee also agrees to accept assistance,
close coordination and participation of the Sociologist, Demographic
and Behavioral Sciences Branch, NICHD (hereafter called the Project
Coordinator) working with the project in all aspects of the
scientific and technical management.
 
This RFA is intended as a one-time solicitation.  However, if it is
determined that there is a sufficient continuing program need, the
NIH may reissue this RFA.  The total project period for applications
submitted in response to the RFA must not exceed five years.  The
anticipated award date will be November 1, 1992.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
It is anticipated that up to eight awards will be made under this RFA
for a total of approximately $5 million (including direct and
indirect costs) during the first program year.  This level of support
is dependent upon the receipt of a sufficient number of applications
of high scientific merit.  Although this program is provided for in
the financial plans of the NIH, the award of grants pursuant to this
RFA is also contingent upon the availability of funds for this
purpose.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
For a detailed outline of the research objectives, applicants are
advised to request a copy of the RFA from the Project Coordinator
(Staff Contact) listed below.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women (and minorities) in
study populations.  If women (or minorities) are not included, a
specific justification for this exclusion must be provided.
Applications without such documentation will not be accepted for
review.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Specific details on review criteria are outlined in the RFA.
Applications must be submitted on form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88, reprinted
10/89) that is available in most institutional business offices or
from the Division of Research Grants, NIH (301-496-7441).
Applications must be received in the Division of Research Grants by
May 15, 1992. Late applications will be returned to the applicant.
 
A special technical assistance workshop will be offered to assist
potential applicants who have limited experience with the NIH
application process.  Representatives from each NIH institute will
participate in this workshop to provide potential applicants with
information on areas of particular interests.  This workshop will be
held in the Washington, DC metropolitan area on February 24, 1992.
The NIH cannot support individuals who wish to attend the conference,
but the conference will be open to any individual or organization who
wishes to attend.  An agenda may be obtained by contacting Dr. Bob
Eisinger, Office of AIDS Research (telephone 301-496-0357) or Dr.
Susan Newcomer (telephone 301/496-1174).  For those who are unable to
attent the workshop, a summary will be available upon request to Dr.
Newcomer.
 
This technical assistance workshop will also be teleconferenced on
the Black College Teleconference Network. Contact Ogden Lacey at
telephone (301) 496-1584 for further details on participation in the
teleconference.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
A letter of intent is requested by February 1, 1992, and is to
include a descriptive title of the proposed research, the name,
address and telephone number of the Principal Investigator, other key
personnel, and the number and title of the RFA in response to which
the application is submitted.  It is to be sent to:
 
Susan Newcomer, Ph.D.
Office of Minority Programs Project Coordinator
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Eexecutive Plaza North, Room 611
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1174
FAX:  (301) 496-0962
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning this RFA are encouraged.
The opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from potential
applicants is welcome.  Direct inquiries regarding programmatic
issues and requests for copies of the RFA to:
 
Susan Newcomer, Ph.D.
(See above)
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Melinda Nelson
Office of Grants and Contracts
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Eexecutive Plaza North, Room 505
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5481
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.864 (Population Research).  Awards are made under
authorization of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A
(Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 990158, 42 USC 241 and
285) and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal
Regulations, 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not
subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive
Order 23472, or to Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R4 END ************************************************************
 
$$R5 BEGIN DK-92-11 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
THE BIOLOGY OF KIDNEY DISEASE AND HYPERTENSION IN BLACKS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DK-92-11
 
P.T. 34, FC; K.W. 0715115, 0411005, 0765035, 0710095, 1002019
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  February 13, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  March 13, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases (DKUHD) of
the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
(NIDDK), and the Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases (DHVD) of
the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) announce the
availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) on the above
subject.
 
End-stage renal disease (ESRD) associated with hypertension is a
major health problem among Black Americans.  In 1989, the incidence
rate of ESRD with a diagnosis of hypertension was nearly six and
one-half times greater in Blacks compared to Whites.  For Blacks aged
20-44, the rate was greater than 18 times that of whites.  A number
of factors have been proposed to be responsible for this increased
disease burden in Blacks, including greater prevalence of
hypertension, more severe and uncontrolled hypertension, lack of easy
accessibility to adequate health care, and greater susceptibility of
the kidney to the effects of high blood pressure.
 
This RFA is targeted toward Blacks, therefore, the study populations
must reflect this designation.  However, if other social groups are
to be used for control purposes, appropriate justification must be
included in the study design.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
"The Biology of Kidney Disease and Hypertension in Blacks," is
related to the priority areas of heart disease and stroke and
diabetes and other chronic disabling conditions.  The PHS urges
applicants to submit work plans that address specific objectives of
"Healthy People 2000."  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of
"Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or
"Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1)
through the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC  20402-9325 (Telephone 202-783-3238).
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
This special grant program will support fundamental research on the
biology of kidney disease and hypertension in Blacks.  To this end,
the following are some suggested areas of investigation that would be
considered responsive to this solicitation:
 
o  Circulatory and target organ pathophysiology, including the use of
polymerase chain reaction and receptor-binding techniques to study
specific tissues and relevant receptors in patients with kidney
disease and hypertension.
 
o  Known factors and mediators of kidney disease and hypertension
utilizing appropriate methodology.
 
o  Dietary mechanisms, including the role of monovalent and divalent
cations in the genesis and maintenance of renal dysfunction and
hypertension.
 
o  Neural and other humoral factors, including kinins, the
renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, atrial natriuretic peptide,
dopamine, and eicosanoids. and their role in renal dysfunction and
hypertension.
 
o  The role played by intrinsic morphological and physiological
aberrations of the kidney resulting in hypertension.
 
o  Gender-related mechanisms associated with the development of
kidney disease and hypertension in Blacks.
 
o  Studies in genetics and immunogenetics, including identification
of and studies in, demonstration families and appropriate animal
models.  This approach would include studies to select and identify
Black family configurations; to phenotypically characterize their
members; to collect, analyze, immortalize, and store cell lines from
these individuals; and to use the DNA to identify markers and genes
for kidney disease and hypertension.
 
o  Polycystic kidney disease in Blacks.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support for this program will be through the traditional research
project (R01) grant and will be governed by the current policies of
grant programs of the National Institutes of Health.  Up to five
years of support will be provided (renewable for subsequent periods)
subject to the availability of funds and progress achieved.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
For FY 1992, $1.5 million in total costs will be allocated by NIDDK
and NHLBI to fund applications submitted in response to this RFA.  It
is anticipated that six to eight awards will be made.  However, this
funding level is dependent upon the receipt of a sufficient number of
applications of high scientific merit.  Although this program is
provided for in the financial plans of the NIDDK and the NHLBI, the
award of grants pursuant to this RFA is contingent upon appropriated
funds for this purpose.  Applicants must limit the budget requests to
no more than $160,000 in direct costs for the first year.  The
earliest award date will be September 30, 1992.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women and minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.  Data available at
present shows that end stage renal disease associated with
hypertension occurs in Blacks to a greater extent than any other
racial group in the U.S. Therefore, for the purposes of this RFA,
minorities are limited to Blacks.  If other racial groups are used as
controls, it must be justified in the study design.

REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications will be reviewed by the Division of Research Grants
(DRG) for completeness.  Incomplete applications will be returned to
the applicant without further consideration.  Complete applications
will then be reviewed for scientific and technical merit by an
Initial Review Group that will be convened by the Review Branch,
Division of Extramural Activities, NIDDK.  Second level review will
be carried out by the Advisory Councils of the National Institute of
Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and the National Heart,
Lung, and Blood Institute.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are encouraged to submit an optional letter of
intent that includes a descriptive title of the grant application,
the name of the Principal Investigator, the institutional affiliation
of the Principal Investigator, and any other participating
institutions.  Since such letters are requested only for the purpose
of obtaining an indication of the number and scope of applications
likely to be received, their receipt will not be acknowledged.  A
letter of intent is not binding, and will not enter into the review
of the application subsequently submitted, nor is it required for
application.  This letter of intent, is to be received by February
13, 1992, and is to be sent to:
 
Robert D. Hammond, Ph.D.
Chief, Review Branch, DEA
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 603
Bethesda, MD  20892
FAX:  (301) 402-1277
 
Applications must be submitted using form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88) that
is available in the business office or grants office of most academic
or research institutions and from the Office of Grants Inquiries,
Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, 5333
Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20892, telephone (301) 496-7441.
Detailed instructions on application submission are described in the
RFA.
 
INQUIRIES
 
It is essential that prospective applicants obtain the RFA prior to
preparing an application.  The RFA can be obtained by contacting:
 
Lawrence Y. Agodoa, M.D.
Director of Clinical Affairs, DKUHD
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 3A11
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7572
FAX:  (301) 402-0223
 
or
 
Paul A. Velletri, Ph.D.
Program Administrator, HKDB/DHVD
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Rm 4C10
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1857
FAX:  (301) 496-9882
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Mrs. Helen Ling
Grants Management Specialist
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 639
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7467
FAX:  (301) 496-9721
 
or
 
Ms. Jane R. Davis
Chief, Blood Diseases and Resources Grants Management Section
Grants Operation Branch, DEA
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 4A15B
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7257
FAX: (301) 402-1200
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.849, (Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases)
and 93.837 (Heart and Vascular Diseases).  Grants will be awarded
under the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title III,
Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and
administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations at 42
CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or
Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R5 END ************************************************************
 
                       ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-92-21 *************************************************
 
INDIVIDUAL POSTDOCTORAL AND SENIOR FELLOWSHIPS IN GENOMIC ANALYSIS
AND TECHNOLOGY AND THE ETHICAL, LEGAL AND SOCIAL IMPLICATIONS OF
HUMAN GENOME RESEARCH
 
PA:  PA-92-21
 
P.T. 22: K.W. 0720005, 1215018, 1014004
 
National Center for Human Genome Research
 
PURPOSE
 
The mission of the National Center for Human Genome Research (NCHGR)
is to characterize the human genome and the genomes of selected model
organisms.  The research program has the following interrelated
goals:  the construction of high-resolution genetic linkage maps; the
development of a variety of physical maps; the determination of the
complete nucleotide sequence of the DNA of human and other selected
model organisms; the development of the capability for collecting,
storing, distributing, and analyzing the data produced; the
development of appropriate new technologies to achieve these goals;
and the examination of the ethical, legal, and social implications of
the Human Genome Program.  These goals are discussed in detail in the
document, "Understanding Our Genetic Inheritance - The U.S. Human
Genome Project:  The First Five Years - FY 1991-1995," available from
the Human Genome Management Information Center, Oak Ridge National
Laboratory; Oak Ridge, TN  37831-6050, telephone (615) 576-6669.
 
To accomplish the goals of the NCHGR research program and to use, for
further research, the resources that the program will develop,
scientists who are well-trained in one or more of a variety of
disciplines will be needed.  Therefore, the NCHGR is offering both
individual postdoctoral fellowships and senior fellowships to highly
qualified scientists who are seeking training that will enable them
to engage in research relevant to the genome project.  The goal of
the fellowship program is to train highly skilled scientists who will
use their expertise to develop research programs in the mapping and
sequencing of the human genome and the genomes of other organisms in
the analysis of the resulting data and in the development of
biological, medical, or biotechnological applications based on the
data.  An additional goal is the training of scholars interested in
examining the ethical, legal, and social implications of human genome
research.
 
The NCHGR is interested in offering fellowships to:
 
o  molecular biologists and geneticists who wish to receive
additional training in genomic analysis or other technical areas
relevant to genome research;
 
o  non-biologists, such as those with degrees in the mathematical,
physical, chemical, engineering, and/or computer sciences, who wish
to obtain training in molecular biology or genetics in order to
pursue interdisciplinary approaches to genome studies;
 
o  biologists and other scientists who wish to obtain training that
will allow them to address the ethical, legal and social implications
(ELSI) of human genome research; and
 
o  scholars trained in the humanities who wish to receive training in
genomic research in order to pursue studies in the ELSI area.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Scientists at all career levels are encouraged to apply for these
fellowships.  Individuals who have received their doctorate within
the last seven years may apply for the traditional postdoctoral
fellowship (F32).  The F32 mechanism is designed to provide research
training to individuals who wish to receive in-depth training in one
of the several areas of genomic research.  Moreover, an individual
who has already completed one postdoctoral fellowship in another
scientific discipline may be eligible for a postdoctoral fellowship
in genomic research if the additional training can be justified in
the context of the individual's future commitment to pursuing a
career in genomic research.  Experienced investigators or individuals
who have had a hiatus in their research career may apply for a one-
or two-year Senior Fellowship (F33) to develop skills or to update
their knowledge in a particular area of genomic research or analysis.
Applications from women and minority scientists are especially
encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support for fellowships will be provided through the National
Research Service Award (NRSA).  The stipend levels for the individual
postdoctoral fellowships range from $18,600 to $32,300, depending on
the number of years of relevant experience subsequent to the award of
the doctoral degree.  The stipend level for senior fellowships is
$32,300 per annum.  In addition, the training institution may request
an institutional allowance of up to $3,000 per year for supplies,
equipment, travel, tuition, fees, insurance, and other
training-related expenses.  Individual postdoctoral fellowships are
made for project periods of up to three years.
 
Recipients of National Research Service Awards are subject to payback
provisions.  Details about this requirement and the policies
governing this program can be found in the National Research Service
Awards Guidelines, that were published in the NIH Guide for Grants
and Contracts, Vol. 13, No. 1, January 6, 1984. Single copies are
available from the offices listed below.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications for fellowships are reviewed for scientific merit by an
initial review group established by the Division of Research Grants,
NIH.  The following factors are considered in the review of
fellowship applications:  (1) the candidate's potential for a
research career; (2) the scientific merit and training potential of
the research proposal; (3) the training environment and resources;
and (4) the protections accorded human subjects and vertebrate
animals.  The second level of review is performed by the appropriate
Institute, Center, or Division.
 
APPLICATIONS PROCEDURES
 
Application kits, PHS 416-1 (rev. 4/89), are available from the
university business office and from the Office of Grants Inquiries,
Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, Westwood
Building, Room 449, Bethesda, MD  20892, telephone:  301/496-7441.
All individual fellowship applications are on an expedited review
schedule.  Receipt dates for applications are January 10, May 10, and
September 10 annually.  The earliest dates that awards can be made
are July, December, and March, respectively.  Three letters of
reference must accompany the application.
 
INQUIRIES
 
For additional information about individual and senior postdoctoral
fellowship opportunities available through the NCHGR, contact:
 
Individual and Senior Fellowships in Genomic Analysis and Technology:
 
Bettie J. Graham, Ph.D.
Chief, Research Grants Branch
National Center for Human Genome Research
National Institutes of Health
Building 38A, Room 610
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7531
E-mail:  [email-masked]; [email-masked]
 
Individual and Senior ELSI Fellowships:
 
Eric T. Juengst, Ph.D.
Director, Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications Program
National Center for Human Genome Research
National Institutes of Health
Building 38A, Room 617
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0911
E-mail:  [email-masked]; [email-masked]
 
For information about PHS Grant Policy, applicants may contact:
 
Ms. Alice Thomas
Chief, Grants and Contracts Management Branch
National Center for Human Genome Research
National Institutes of Health
Building 38A, Room 613
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0733
E-mail:  [email-masked]; [email-masked]
 
The program and grants management officials welcome the opportunity
to clarify any issues or questions related
to this announcement and encourage written and telephone inquiries.

AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.172.  Awards will be made under the authority of
the Public Health Service Act, Sections 301 (Public Law 78-410, as
amended 42 U.S.C. 241) and administered under PHS grants policies.
This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review