Subject: NIH GUIDE - V21(02) 01/17/92 - P1/2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 92 08:09 EST

Good Morning Paul,
    The l/l7/92 NIH Guide has arrived.  It will be in two parts with
one additional RFA.  Please post this to the NIH Listserver as:
     NIHGUIDE.920117
                    Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19920117 V21N02 P1O2 ************************************
X-comment: RFAs described: CA-92-07
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 21, No. 2 - January 17, 1992
 
$$INDEX BEGIN *******************************************************
 
                       NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY
 
$$INDEX R1 **********************************************************
 
RETINAL ARTERY READING CENTER FOR THE ATHEROSCLEROSIS RISK IN
COMMUNITIES STUDY (RFP NHLBI-HC-92-09)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
INDEX:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
 
$$INDEX R2 **********************************************************
 
EVALUATION OF IMMUNE-BASED THERAPIES FOR AIDS USING ANIMAL MODELS (RFP
NIAID-DAIDS-92-15)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
INDEX:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
 
$$INDEX R3 04/28/92 *************************************************
 
DOMESTIC ANIMAL MODELS FOR RETROVIRUS-ASSOCIATED HUMAN CANCERS (RFA CA-
92-07)
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  CANCER
 
                            ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$INDEX P1 **********************************************************
 
HITCHINGS-ELION POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS FOR U.S. SCIENTISTS (PA-92-30)
Fogarty International Center
INDEX:  FOGARTY INTERNATIONAL CENTER
 
$$INDEX P2 **********************************************************
 
NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARDS FOR INSTITUTIONAL TRAINING GRANTS (PA-
92-31)
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
INDEX:  ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, MENTAL HEALTH
 
$$INDEX P3 **********************************************************
 
MINORITY SCHOOL FACULTY DEVELOPMENT AWARD (PA-92-32)
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX P4 **********************************************************
 
MINORITY ONCOLOGY LEADERSHIP ACADEMIC AWARD (PA-92-33)
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX P5 **********************************************************
 
RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARDS IN ARTHRITIS AND
MUSCULOSKELETAL AND SKIN DISEASES (PA-92-34)
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
INDEX:  ARTHRITIS, MUSCULOSKELETAL, SKIN DISEASES
 
$$INDEX P6 **********************************************************
 
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT:  NURSING AND BIOLOGY INTERFACE (PA-92-35)
National Center for Nursing Research
INDEX:  NURSING RESEARCH
 
$$INDEX END *********************************************************
 
                    NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN NHLBI-HC-92-09 *******************************************
 
RETINAL ARTERY READING CENTER FOR THE ATHEROSCLEROSIS RISK IN
COMMUNITIES STUDY
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NHLBI-HC-92-09
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715040, 0705070, 0411005
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) requires a
reading center to interpret retinal photographs performed in the
epidemiological research study of the major factors contributing to the
occurrence of cardiovascular disease in middle-aged adults entitled
"Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study (ARIC)."  The Retinal Artery
Reading Center will assist in protocol development for the performance
of retinal artery examinations in 14,500 participants in the four ARIC
Field Centers and will perform measurements and interpretations of
these images in a standardized and reproducible manner.  The period of
performance is anticipated to be November 1, 1992 through October 31,
1996.
 
This is a notice of availability of a Request for Proposals (RFP).  RFP
NHLBI-HC-92-09 will be available on or about January 15, 1992, with
proposals due February 21, 1992.  One award is anticipated to be made
during October 1992.  A written request for the RFP must include three
mailing labels, self- addressed, and must cite RFP No. NHLBI-HC-92-09.
 
Requests for copies of the RFP are to be sent to the following address:
 
Donna J. Neal
Contract Specialist
ECA Section, Contracts Operations Branch, DEA
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 3C16
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1326
 
$$R1 END ************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN NIAID-DAIDS-92-15 ****************************************
 
EVALUATION OF IMMUNE-BASED THERAPIES FOR AIDS USING ANIMAL MODELS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIAID-DAIDS-92-15
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 0745045, 0755020
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
The Developmental Therapeutics Branch, Basic Research and Development
Program, Division of AIDS, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious
Diseases (NIAID), has a requirement for the evaluation of immune-based
therapies for AIDS using animal models.  This procurement consists of
two parts that seek testing capabilities for immune-based therapies
that target different types of immune deficiencies seen in HIV
infection and AIDS.  The two parts are entitled, "Part A - Evaluation
of Immune-Based Therapies to Augment or Normalize Immune Function" and
"Part B - Evaluation of Multipotent Stem Cell Reconstitution as a
Therapy to Restore Immune Cell Deficits".
 
"Part A" of this procurement will provide for the evaluation of
immune-based therapies in an established small-animal model, alone or
in combination with other therapies, for their capacity to augment
host-defense mechanisms or otherwise ameliorate immune dysfunctions
characteristic of HIV infection. Emphasis will be placed on aspects of
immune-based therapies, i.e., mechanism of action, optimal scheduling,
identification of quantifiable parameters related to in vivo efficacy,
potential for positive or negative interaction between immune-based and
anti-retroviral therapies, and the potential of immune-based therapies
to upregulate virus expression.  An established and validated animal
model is required for Part A.  "Part B" of this procurement will
provide for development, validation, and testing of a model in which an
immunodeficient animal is reconstituted with a source of human
multipotent stem cells that can re-establish the immune system and that
may also be genetically modified to resist subsequent infection with
HIV-1.
 
The offeror shall, at the time of proposal, have identified an animal
system to be developed and validated and a source of human multipotent
stem cells.  These capabilities are required by the Division of AIDS,
NIAID, in its efforts to develop immune-based therapies for human
subjects infected with HIV-1.  There will be separate work statements
and competitive ranges established for each part.  Offerors may respond
to one or more parts.  It is anticipated that one or more awards will
be made for Part A and one award will be made for Part B.  If more than
one award is made for Part A, the Government reserves the right to make
only one award per animal model.  This NIAID-sponsored project will
take approximately five years to complete.  A cost-reimbursement
contract is anticipated.
 
This is an announcement for an anticipated Request for Proposal (RFP).
RFP NIAID-DAIDS-92-15 shall be issued on or about January 20, 1992,
with a closing date tentatively set for March 20, 1992.  Requests for
the RFP shall be directed in writing to:
 
Cyndie Cotter
Contract Management Branch
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Solar Building, Room 3C-07
6003 Executive Boulevard
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
To receive a copy of the RFP, supply this office with two
self-addressed labels.  All responsible sources may submit a proposal
that will be considered.
 
This announcement does not commit the Government to award a contract.
 
$$R2 END ************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN CA-92-07 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
DOMESTIC ANIMAL MODELS FOR RETROVIRUS-ASSOCIATED HUMAN CANCERS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  CA-92-07
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755020, 0755030, 1002045, 0715035, 0740012
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  February 28, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  April 28, 1992
 
THE REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS (RFA) ANNOUNCED IN THIS NOTICE CONTAINS
ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR THE PREPARATION OF AN APPLICATION.  POTENTIAL
APPLICANTS MAY OBTAIN THE RFA FROM THE CONTACT NAMED IN INQUIRIES,
BELOW.
 
PURPOSE
 
Retroviruses isolated from mammalian species have the potential to
provide valuable basic information on the etiology and mechanism(s) of
cancer induction by viruses and to serve as models for evaluating
antiviral agents prior to human clinical trials.  The occurrence of
neoplastic sequelae in retrovirus-infected animals supports the view
that these viruses may be directly or indirectly involved in the
etiology of malignancies.  The identification and development of
suitable animal models of viral neoplasia may aid in investigations of
the mechanisms of cancer initiation and progression, ultimately
providing a better understanding of the role of viruses in the etiology
of human cancer.  The Congress, in both FY90 and FY92, has expressed
its interest in retroviral infections in large domestic animals as
excellent models for retroviral-induced diseases in humans such as
leukemia, lymphosarcoma, and AIDS.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Domestic Animal Models for Retrovirus-Associated Human Cancers, is
related to the priority area of cancer etiology.  Potential applicants
may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Non-profit and for-profit, domestic and foreign, organizations and
institutions, governments and their agencies are eligible to apply.
Applications from minority individuals and women are encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of
Health (NIH) individual research grant (R01). Applicants will be
responsible for the planning, direction, and execution of the proposed
project.  Except as otherwise stated in this RFA, awards will be
administered under PHS grants policy as stated in the Public Health
Service Grants Policy Statement, DHHS Publication No. (OASH) 90-50,000,
revised October 1, 1990.
 
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Future unsolicited competitive
continuation applications will compete with all investigator-initiated
applications and be reviewed by the Division of Research Grants (DRG).
If, the National Cancer Institute determines that there is a sufficient
continuing program need, a request for competitive continuation
applications will be announced.  Only recipients of awards under this
RFA will be eligible to apply.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
Approximately $1,750,000 in total costs per year for four years will be
committed to specifically fund applications submitted in response to
this RFA.  It is anticipated that five to seven awards will be made.
The level of funding is dependent on the receipt of a sufficient number
of applications of high scientific merit.  The total project period for
applications submitted in response to the present RFA may not exceed
four years.  The earliest feasible start date for the initial awards
will be September 1992.  Although this program is provided for in the
financial plans of the NCI, the award of grants pursuant to this RFA is
also contingent upon the availability of funds for this purpose.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The objectives of the RFA are to encourage basic research on retroviral
pathogenesis in domestic livestock animals.  These studies will aid in
understanding the properties of viruses and features of the host and
its response that determine disease progression from initial virus
infection to neoplastic sequelae.  For the purposes of this RFA,
domestic animals include cows, horses, sheep, goats, and pigs;
specifically excluded are retroviruses of dogs, cats, primates, and
avian species.  Collaborative efforts between scientists with
complementary areas of research expertise will be encouraged.  The
areas of proposed investigation include:  (1) investigations of the
oncogenic mechanisms in domestic livestock retroviruses; (2)
investigation of cancer etiology and viral pathogenesis from initial
infection through the development of pre-neoplastic lesions and
neoplastic sequelae with retroviruses of domestic livestock; (3) the
role of RNA and DNA viral co-factors in cancer etiology animal models
and definition of virus- and co-factor-host interactions and immune
function alterations in the host that dispose the host to neoplastic
processes; (4) investigations to assess the role of the host immune
system and host genetic factors in the control and limitation of virus
replication, and the susceptibility or resistance of animals to
oncogenic processes; and (5) studies on the expression and regulation
of viral and/or associated host cell genes in pre-neoplastic lesions
and malignant tissues from retrovirus-infected domestic livestock
animals.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit, by February 28, 1992, a
letter of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed
research, the name and address of the Principal Investigator, the names
of other key personnel, the participating institutions, and the number
and title of the RFA in response to which the application is being
submitted.
 
Although a letter of intent is not required, is not binding, and does
not enter into the review of subsequent applications, it is requested
in order to provide an indication of the number and scope of
applications to be reviewed.  It also allows NCI staff to estimate the
potential review workload and to avoid conflict of interest in the
review.
 
The letter of intent is to be sent to:
 
Dr. Kenneth J. Cremer
Program Director, AIDS Virus Studies
Biological Carcinogenesis Branch
Division of Cancer Etiology
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Room 540
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6085
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88, reprinted
9/89) must be used in applying for these grants.  These forms are
available at most institutional business offices; from the Office of
Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of
Health, Room 449, Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda,
Maryland 20892, telephone 301/496-7441; and from the NCI Program
Director named above.
 
Applications must be received by April 28, 1992.  If an application is
received after that date, it will be returned to the applicant.  The
Division of Research Grants (DRG) will not accept any application in
response to this announcement that is essentially the same as one
currently pending initial review, unless the applicant withdraws the
pending application.  The DRG will not accept any application that is
essentially the same as one already reviewed.  This does not preclude
the submission of substantial revisions of applications already
reviewed, but such applications must include an introduction addressing
the previous critique.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Those applications judged to be both competitive and responsive will be
further evaluated according to the review criteria stated below for
scientific and technical merit by an appropriate peer review group
convened by the Division of Extramural Activities, NCI.  The second
level of review by the National Cancer Advisory Board considers the
special needs of the Institute and the priorities of the National
Cancer Program.
 
1.  The scientific merit, technical and medical significance of the
proposed research, including the adequacy and quality of the
methodological approach and the research design.  Familiarity with the
proposed techniques must be demonstrated, e.g., by the presentation of
preliminary data.
 
2.  The expertise and qualifications of the Principal Investigator and
proposed staff and/or collaborators to perform the proposed
experiments.
 
3.  Documentation of the adequacy of the facilities and resources.
 
4.  Appropriateness of the proposed budget and duration in relation to
the proposed research.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and scope of
this RFA and inquiries about whether or not specific proposed research
would be responsive are encouraged and may be directed to Dr. Kenneth
Cremer at the above address.  The Program Director welcomes the
opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from potential
applicants and will provide a copy of the RFA on request.
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Mr. Joseph H. FitzGerald
Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Room 243
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7800, Ext. 15
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
Number 93.393, Cancer Cause and Prevention Research.  Awards are made
under the authorization of the Public Health Service (PHS) Act, Title
IV, Part A (Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42
U.S.C. 241 and 285) and administered under PHS grant policies and
Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is
not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive
Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R3 END ************************************************************
 
                     ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-92-30 *************************************************
 
HITCHINGS-ELION POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS FOR U.S. SCIENTISTS
 
PA:  PA-92-30
 
P.T. 22, 48, K.W. 0720005, 040400
 
Fogarty International Center
 
Application Receipt Dates:  January 10, May 10, and September 10 of
each year
 
PURPOSE
 
The purpose of these fellowships is to promote scientific collaboration
between British and American scientists for the conduct of biomedical
and behavioral research.  The Hitchings-Elion Fellowships will support
two years of collaborative research by a U.S. scientist at a sponsor's
laboratory in the United Kingdom and a third year at a sponsor's
laboratory in the United States.
 
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES
 
The Hitchings-Elion Fellowships, named after the 1988 Nobel Laureates
in Physiology and Medicine, provide support to U.S. scientists, early
in their career, for the conduct of collaborative research in the
United Kingdom.  The program, which is a collaboration between The
Wellcome Trust, The Burroughs Wellcome Fund and the Fogarty
International Center (FIC), National Institutes of Health, provides
fellowship support for three years:  two years in the United Kingdom
and a third in a laboratory in the United States.  The types of
activity supported by these programs include collaboration in basic or
clinical research and familiarization with or utilization of special
techniques and equipment not otherwise available to the applicant.  The
programs do not provide support for activities that have as the
principal purpose brief observational visits, attendance at scientific
meetings, or independent study.  Research directly related to cancer is
supported by other mechanisms in the United Kingdom and, therefore, is
not eligible for support by this fellowship.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
The applicant must be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident, hold
a doctorate level degree in one of the medical or veterinary clinical,
behavioral, or biomedical sciences, and be within ten years of the last
doctoral degree.
 
ELIGIBLE COSTS
 
The Wellcome Trust will provide an annual stipend allowance with a base
rate beginning at 13,661 pounds, that increases with years of
experience to a maximum of 20,868 pounds, an additional yearly
allowance depending on location in the United Kingdom, a special
allowance for those working in London, research expenses (5,000 pounds
per annum) while in the United Kingdom, round trip economy class air
fare expenses for the fellow and up to three dependents, and a stipend
for one year upon return to the United States at a level comparable,
but not necessarily equivalent, to that received in the United Kingdom.
The Burroughs Wellcome Fund will provide $7,500 per annum for research
expenses in the United States.  For U.S. government employees, the
third year of support will not be available in the United States.
Indirect costs will not be provided in either the United Kingdom or the
United States.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURE AND CRITERIA
 
The administration of the program will be integrated into the
administration of other Fogarty International Center fellowship
activities and the application receipt processes of the Division of
Research Grants, NIH.  The initial review of applications will be
conducted by a special FIC study section.  Application kits and
information may be obtained from the Fogarty International Center at
the address listed below.  In addition to biographical data,
references, and letters of invitation from the United Kingdom and U.S.
sponsors, a description of the proposed activities in the United
Kingdom and the U.S. and the benefit expected of the experiences will
be required.  While it is the applicant's responsibility to arrange for
his or her research program with the United Kingdom and U.S. sponsors,
it may be done directly or through correspondence by a senior U.S.
scientist.  In the United Kingdom, host institutions may include
universities or government laboratories.
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
Funding decisions will be made on the basis of the quality of the
application as determined by peer review.  Final decisions on awards
will be made and announced by The Wellcome Trust.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Applications must be sent to the Division of Research Grants, NIH, to
meet receipt dates of January 10, May 10 and September 10 each year.
Special application forms must be used and are available, along with
detailed instructions, from:
 
International Research and Awards Branch
Fogarty International Center
National Institutes of Health
Building 31, Room B2C39
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1653
FAX:  (301) 402-0779
 
INQUIRIES
 
Questions concerning the application, review and award process may be
referred to:
 
Dr. David Wolff
Chief, International Research and Awards Branch
Fogarty International Center
Building 31, Room B2C21
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1653
FAX:  (301) 402-0779
 
$$P1 END ************************************************************
 
$$P2 BEGIN PA-92-31 *************************************************
 
NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARDS FOR INSTITUTIONAL TRAINING GRANTS
 
PA AVAILABLE:  PA-92-31
 
P.T. 44; K.W. 0720005, 0404003, 0404009, 0715095
 
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
 
Application Receipt Date:  May 10
 
The Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA)
announces the availability of a program announcement for National
Research Service Awards for Institutional Training Grants.
 
AUTHORITY AND PURPOSE
 
Under authority of Section 487 of the Public Health Service Act as
amended (42 USC 288), the Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health
Administration (ADAMHA) provides National Research Service Awards
(NRSAs) to eligible institutions to develop or enhance predoctoral
and/or postdoctoral alcohol, drug, and/or mental health (ADM) research
training opportunities for individuals who are training for careers in
specified areas of biomedical and behavioral research.  The proposed
training must be in areas that encompass concepts and methods of the
relevant disciplines, including basic and clinical sciences, and be of
sufficient depth to enable the trainees, upon completion of the
program, to formulate research projects and pursue careers as
investigators. The support of institutional NRSAs (T32s) is to help
ensure that highly trained scientific personnel will be available in
adequate numbers and in the appropriate research areas and fields to
meet the Nation's alcohol, drug abuse, and mental health research
needs.
 
Each ADAMHA Institute has different program goals and initiatives;
therefore, potential applicants must contact the appropriate Institute
office, listed below, prior to preparing an application to obtain the
full Program Announcement and current information about that
Institute's interests with regard to T32s.
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Domestic public and private, non-profit institutions may apply.  The
applicant institution must have a strong, demonstrated research program
in the area(s) proposed for research training.
 
The NRSA legislation requires, in making NRSAs, that the Nation's
overall need for biomedical and/or behavioral research personnel be
taken into account by giving special consideration to physicians who
agree to undertake a minimum of two years of training in biomedical
and/or behavioral research.
 
TRAINING PROGRAM AND TRAINEE REQUIREMENTS
 
The training program director at the institution will be responsible
for selection and appointment of individuals to receive NRSAs and for
the overall direction of the research training program.  The training
program must provide opportunities for individual trainees to carry out
supervised research in the specified areas with the primary objective
of extending their skills and knowledge in preparation for a research
career. Special attention must be given to the appointment of minority
students and women.
 
Trainee Requirements:  Individuals selected for NRSAs must be citizens
or noncitizen nationals of the United States or have been lawfully
admitted to the United States for permanent residence and have in their
possession an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151 or I-551) at the
time of appointment to the training program.  Predoctoral applicants
must have received a baccalaureate degree and be enrolled in a doctoral
degree program at the time of appointment.  Postdoctoral individuals
selected to receive NRSAs must have received a Ph.D., Psy.D., M.D.,
D.D.S., D. Pharm., D.N.S., D.S.W., or equivalent domestic or foreign
degree from an accredited institution as of the date of appointment.
Certification by an authorized official of the degree-granting
institution that all degree requirements have been met is also
acceptable.  NRSAs are not made for study leading to the M.D., D.O.,
D.D.S., or other similar professional degrees nor do they support
residency training.
 
SPECIAL INTERESTS
 
Research Recruitment:  Support is available for three to four months of
research involvement for clinicians and graduate students interested in
exploring an ADM research career.  Research recruitment candidates are
not subject to the NRSA payback requirement.
 
Short-term Research Training:  This is a brief reference to a separate
announcement titled, "Short-term National Research Service Awards for
Institutional Grants," presently being developed.  Special conditions
apply; therefore, potential applicants must contact one of the
institute offices listed below for guidance.
 
APPLICATION CHARACTERISTICS AND PERIOD OF SUPPORT
 
Applicants for institutional NRSAs must follow the instructions
accompanying the current version of grant application form PHS 398
(revised 10/88) that contains special instructions for institutional
NRSAs.  Applicants for research training grants wishing to include a
request for a research recruitment training program must also use the
instructions for Institutional Research Training Grants included with
the form PHS 398.  The number and title of this announcement "PA-92-31,
NRSA for Institutional Awards" must be typed on line 2.  Requests for
recruitment positions must be identified as a separate category on the
budget page listing the number of candidates, the total stipend amount,
and the total amount of the training-related expenses.  The description
of the research recruitment training program must be included in the
application for the research training program but must be separated
from the description of the research training program within each
section of the application.  The applicant must address the
relationship of the proposed recruitment program to the research
training program, providing assurance that the research recruitment
program will not detract from the training program.  Applicants must
observe the page limits specified in the PHS 398 instructions.
 
The form PHS 398 is usually available from institutional offices of
sponsored research or their equivalent.  If not available locally, it
may be obtained from the offices listed at the end of this
announcement.  Every application must include the following information
about the training program:
 
o  All new research training grant applications are required to have a
plan for recruitment of minority trainees.  Competing renewal
applications are required to include a list of accomplishments in
recruitment, retention, and progress of minority students achieved in
the prior project period in addition to recruitment plans in the next
project period.  Applications without a minority recruitment plan and,
for the renewal applications, a report of accomplishments in recruiting
minority trainees will not be reviewed until these items are received.
 
o All competing applications must include evidence that training in the
principles of responsible scientific conduct will be incorporated into
the research experience of each trainee. Applications without plans to
provide such instruction will not be awarded until a plan is received.
 
o Applications must include discussion of the relevance of the proposed
training program to the manpower needs of the relevant scientific area.
 
Funding Criteria:  Awarding components select applications for funding
primarily on the basis of scientific merit review results, but other
factors may be considered such as: availability of funds, research
program priorities specified in the Attachment to the full program
announcement, balance among types of research training supported by the
awarding component, and minority recruitment efforts.
 
Period of Support:  Awards for institutional grants may be made for
project periods of up to five years.  By law, an individual may receive
no more than five years of NRSA support in the aggregate at the
predoctoral level and three years of support in the aggregate at the
postdoctoral level under the NRSA program, including any combination of
support from individual and institutional awards.
 
APPLICATION RECEIPT AND REVIEW SCHEDULE
 
ADAMHA institutional training applications have only one receipt date,
May 10.  Applications received after the May 10 receipt date are
subject to assignment to the next review cycle or may be returned to
the applicant without review if requested by the applicant.  The
applications will receive an October peer review by the appropriate
initial review group and review by the appropriate Advisory Council in
January/February.
 
Eligible institutions desiring to request support under this program
are encouraged to review the research areas specified in the Attachment
to the full program announcement before requesting application kits.
The complete announcement and the attachment are available from the
offices listed below.  An original and six copies of the completed and
signed application are to be submitted to the Division of Research
Grants, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 240, Bethesda, Maryland  20892
(applicants using express mail or courier services should use the 20816
zip code).
 
REVIEW PROCESS AND CRITERIA, AND OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
 
Institutional training grant applications are reviewed for scientific
and educational merit by ADAMHA initial review groups composed
primarily of nongovernment scientists and are also subject to the
review and recommendations of the appropriate ADAMHA Advisory Council.
Major considerations in the review are the following:  the
qualifications of participating faculty, their success in previous
training endeavors and the research context in which the training
program will be established; the breadth, depth, and quality of the
training program; the plans for recruiting and selecting trainees; and
the adequacy of the training facilities and resources.  Detailed
criteria are listed in the full announcement.
 
CONDITIONS OF AWARD
 
Grants must be administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy
Statement.  Before a trainee can be appointed to an NRSA institutional
grant, he or she must meet NRSA eligibility requirements and sign a
Payback Agreement indicating his or her intent to meet the payback
provisions required under the law.  Institutions shall notify
prospective trainees of these provisions prior to or at the time an
appointment is offered.  The Payback Agreement form must be completed
and submitted to the awarding institute immediately upon appointment of
a new trainee.
 
Payback Requirement:  Recipients of stipends under institutional NRSAs
must agree to engage in health-related research and/or teaching for a
period equal to the period of NRSA support in excess of 12 months.
Activities carried out while supported by NRSAs may not be used to
fulfill the payback requirements.
 
The institution must submit to ADAMHA a Statement of Appointment form
(PHS 2271) along with the signed Payback Agreement each time a trainee
is appointed or reappointed to the grant.  At the end of the total
support period for each individual trainee, the institution must submit
a Termination Notice (PHS 416-7) to ADAMHA.  Trainees are required to
pursue their research training on a full-time basis, devoting at least
40 hours per week as specified by the sponsoring institution in
accordance with its policies.  An NRSA may not be held concurrently
with another federally sponsored fellowship or similar Federal award
that provides a stipend or otherwise duplicates provisions of the NRSA.
An awardee may accept concurrent educational remuneration from the
Veterans Administration and loans from Federal funds.
 
STIPENDS AND RELATED COSTS
 
The annual stipend for predoctoral individuals at all levels, as of
December 1991, is $8,800.  For postdoctoral individuals, a stipend is
determined on the basis of the number of years of prior relevant
postdoctoral experience.  This determination is made at the time of
each appointment or reappointment of an individual.  Postdoctoral
stipends are:
 
Years of                                Years of
relevant                Annual          relevant                 Annual
experience              stipend         experience
stipend
 
 0                      $18,600         4                        28,200
 1                      $19,700         5                        29,500
 2                      $25,600         6                        30,800
 3                      $26,900         7 or more                32,300
 
The Tax Reform Act of 1986, Public Law 99-514, describes the tax
liability of all individuals supported under the NRSA program.  The
interpretation and implementation of the tax laws are the domain of the
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the courts.  The IRS should be
consulted to clarify the applicability of the tax laws to individual
trainee situations and to determine what steps must be taken to fulfill
tax obligations.
 
The institution may request funds for tuition, fees, and certain types
of travel for trainees; actual indirect costs or 8 percent of allowable
direct costs (whichever is less) to cover related institutional
overhead; and up to $1,500 per predoctoral individual and $2,500 per
postdoctoral individual for other related costs (e.g., salaries,
equipment, research supplies).  Research recruitment positions will be
prorated.  Tuition at the postdoctoral level is limited to that
required for specified courses in support of the approved training
program.  Applicants may request additional trainee-related expenses
(not to exceed $3,000 for predoctoral and $5,000 for postdoctoral
trainees) when the nature of the program requires exceptional support.
 
INQUIRIES
 
The full Program Announcement and Attachment, up-to-date policy
guidelines, and the application forms may be obtained from any of the
following offices:
 
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Office of Scientific Affairs
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 16C20
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4375
 
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Office of Extramural Program Review
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10-42
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-2755
 
National Institute of Mental Health
Division of Extramural Activities
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 9-105
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3367
 
Inquiries regarding grants management may be directed to:
 
Grants Awards and Operations Section
Grants Management Branch
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 7C05
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4414
 
$$P2 END ************************************************************
 
$$P3 BEGIN PA-92-32 *************************************************
 
MINORITY SCHOOL FACULTY DEVELOPMENT AWARD
 
PA: PA-92-32
 
P.T. 14, FF; K.W. 0715035, 0710030
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Application Receipt Dates:  February 1, 1992, June 1, 1992, October 1,
1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Research Program, Division of
Extramural Activities, National Cancer Institute (NCI), invites
academic health centers and other health professional schools that
employ, educate, or serve a preponderance of minority faculty, staff,
trainees, and communities to submit applications for support of
activities directed at the development of faculty investigators at
minority schools in areas relevant to cancer.  The intent of the award
is to provide the awardee with increased access to research
opportunities through collaborative arrangements with outstanding
cancer research scientists, usually at institutions within a 100 mile
radius of the applicant organization.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention  objectives of "Health People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Program
Announcement, Minority School Faculty Development Award, is related to
the priority area of cancer.  Potential  applicants may obtain a copy
of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or
"Health People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1)
through the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC  20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Minority School
 
A minority school is defined as a medical or nonmedical college,
university, or equivalent school in which students of minority ethnic
groups, including African Americans, Hispanics, American Indians, and
Asian or Pacific Islanders, comprise a significant proportion of the
school enrollment and that has a commitment to the special
encouragement of minority faculty, students, and investigators.
 
Faculty Development Award Candidate
 
Candidates for this award are minority school faculty members who: (1)
are citizens of the United States, noncitizen nationals or permanent
residents at the time of application; (2) have a M.D., Ph.D., or
equivalent degree, in a biomedical or behavioral science; (3) wish to
receive specialized training in cancer research; and (4) have the
background and potential to become an independent biomedical
investigator.  A minimum of 50 percent effort annually must be
committed to the award.
 
Applicants may not apply for, or accept, other PHS research grant
support or its equivalent at the time of Minority School Faculty
Development Award application, nor may they apply concurrently for any
other type of academic award.  However, applicants may apply for and
accept research grant support subsequent to award of the Minority
School Faculty Development Award.
 
Mentor at Research Center
 
Each candidate must also identify and complete arrangements with a
mentor, at a preferably nearby (within reasonable commuting distance),
majority or minority institution who is recognized as an accomplished,
independently funded investigator in the research area proposed and who
will provide guidance for the awardee's development and research plan.
Plans for obtaining an intensive research experience must be developed
with the mentor.
 
The commitment of the mentor and his/her institution to year round
(i.e., summer and academic year) exposure to research must be evidenced
by a letter of support from each to be included in the application.  A
commitment from the mentor's department chair must be included in the
application.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of
Health Academic/teacher award (K07). Applicants will be responsible for
the planning, direction, and execution of the proposed project.  Awards
will be administered under PHS grants policy as stated in the Public
Health Service Grants Policy Statement, DHHS Publication No.(OASH)
90-50,000, revised October 1, 1990.  Awards are non-renewable and
non-transferable from one awardee to another.  Funding beyond the first
year of the grant is contingent on satisfactory progress during the
preceding year.
 
Awards may be requested for a period of three to five years.  Allowable
costs include:
 
o  The salary of the applicant up to a maximum base salary of $50,000
per year and related fringe benefits.
 
o  Costs for further optional preparation of the applicant in
additional clinical or basic research methodologies (this aspect of the
program is not to exceed the equivalent of one academic year total over
the duration of the award).
 
o  Domestic travel expenses for the awardee to attend professional
meetings, training courses, and an annual two-day awardee meeting in
Bethesda, MD.
 
o  Partial salary support up to $40,000 per year for one additional
faculty or staff researcher as a direct participant in research-related
activities or services.
 
o  Up to $10,000 per year in supplies for research activities.
 
o  Indirect costs not to exceed a maximum of eight percent of direct
costs, exclusive of tuition fees, if any.
 
o  The total award may not exceed $100,000 in direct costs per year.
 
o  Equipment:  Specialized research equipment essential to the proposed
program.  In accordance with PHS policy, title to such equipment will
vest with the grantee institution.
 
o  Supplies:  Consumable supplies essential to the proposed program.
 
o  Tuition and Fees:  If essential to the awardee's individual research
development program.
 
o  Other:  Personnel, publication costs, computer costs, and other
costs necessary for the research program; and
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
This program is designed to offer support for cancer-related research
to  minority school faculty members at the M.D., Ph.D., or equivalent
level who have the interest and capability of doing state-of-the-art
research in this area.
 
The objective of this Program Announcement is to broaden the experience
of faculty members at minority schools, to increase the pool of
biomedical and behavioral investigators in cancer research, and have
graduate and undergraduate students, most of whom will be minority
individuals, become more cognizant of research opportunities in cancer
research.
 
STUDY POPULATIONS
 
It is the NIH policy that women and minorities must be included in
clinical study populations unless there is a good reason to exclude
them, and the study design must seek to identify any pertinent gender
or minority population differences.  If appropriate, these issues must
be addressed in the application.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need
for inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders
and conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study populations must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research
design and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the
study.  This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in
Section 2, A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E,
Human Subjects.  Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the
feasibility of including the broadest possible representation of
minority groups.  However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible
or appropriate in all research projects to include representation of
the full array of United States racial/ethnic minority populations
(i.e., Native Americans (including American Indians or Alaskan
Natives), Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).  The rationale
for studies on single minority population groups should be provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also
apply.  Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues
cannot be identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However,
every effort should be made to include human tissues from women and
racial/ethnic minorities when it is important to apply the results of
the study broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application,
the review will be deferred until the information is provided.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants
or cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURE
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed by the Division of Research
Grants (DRG) for completeness.  Incomplete applications will be
returned to the applicant without further consideration.  Evaluation
for responsiveness to the program requirements and criteria stated in
the announcement is an NCI program staff function.  Applications that
are judged non-responsive will be returned to the applicant.  Questions
concerning the relevance of proposed research may be directed to
program staff as described in the INQUIRIES section.
 
Applications will receive technical review by an initial review group
appointed by the NCI, with secondary review by the National Cancer
Advisory Board.
 
REVIEW CRITERIA
 
Those applications judged to be both competitive and responsive will be
reviewed for scientific and technical merit by an appropriate review
group convened by the Division of Extramural Activities, NCI.  The
second level review by the National Cancer Advisory Board considers the
special needs of the Institute and the priorities of the National
Cancer Program.  The following criteria will apply:
 
o  The overall merit of the candidate's plan for research and the
development of research skills.
 
o  The background and potential of the proposed candidate for
development into an independent biomedical investigator.
 
o  The candidate's commitment to a research career.
 
o  The ability of both the minority institution and the training center
to provide facilities, resources, and opportunities necessary for the
candidate's research development.
 
o  The commitment of the minority institution to the faculty
candidate's research and development must clearly be presented in the
application, including statement(s) from the sponsor and the department
chair.
 
o  The qualifications, ability, and plans of the mentor who will
provide the candidate with the guidance necessary for career
development in research.  Recognition of the mentor is reflected by
receipt of support from national peer-reviewed funding sources.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Applications must be submitted on the grant application form PHS 398
(rev. 10/88 and 9/91) and will be accepted at the application deadlines
indicated in the application kit.
 
Application kits are available at most institutional business and
grant/contract offices and may be obtained from the Office of Grants
Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health,
Westwood Building, Room 449, Bethesda, MD  20892, telephone 301-496-
7273.  The title and number of this announcement must be typed on line
2 and the box checked yes.
 
The completed original application and six legible copies must be sent
or delivered to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
INQUIRIES
 
Direct inquiries regarding programmatic issues to:
 
Dr. Lemuel Evans
Division of Extramural Activities
Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Program
National Cancer Institute
Building 31, Room 10A04
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7344
FAX:  (301) 402-0062
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and scope of
this Program Announcement and inquiries about whether or not specific
proposed research would be responsive are encouraged and should be
directed to Dr. Lemuel Evans at the above address.  The Program
Director welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues or questions
from potential applicants.
 
For information regarding budgetary/administrative issues, contact:
 
Ms. Carolyn Mason
Grants Management Specialist
Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Room 243
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7800, Extension 59
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance, No. 93.398 Cancer Research Manpower.  National Institutes
of Health, Public Health Service, Department of Health and Human
Services  authorization:  Public Health Service Act, Service 413, as
amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 U.S.C. 285a:  Public Health Service
Act, Section 487, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 U.S.C. 288.
Federal Agency:  National Institutes of Health, Public Health Service,
Department of  Health and Human Services authorization:  Public Health
Service Act, Section 301, Public Law 78-410, 42 U.S.C. 241, and Section
412, as amended by Public Law 99.158, 42 U.S.C. 285a-1.  This program
is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$P3 END ************************************************************
 
$$P4 BEGIN PA-92-33 *************************************************
 
MINORITY ONCOLOGY LEADERSHIP ACADEMIC AWARD
 
PA: PA-92-33
 
P.T. 34, FF; K.W. 0715035, 0785140, 0785035, 0785055, 0745027
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Application Receipt Dates:  February 1, 1992, June 1, 1992, October 1,
1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Program, Division of Extramural
Activities, National Cancer Institute (NCI), invites academic health
centers and other professional schools that employ, educate, or serve
a preponderance of minority faculty, staff, trainees, and communities
to submit applications for support of an individual to pursue
leadership activities in the development of research and training
programs in clinically oriented cancer research (defined as including
population research; surgical, medical, or radiation oncology; cancer
prevention and control; epidemiology and biostatistics; nutrition;
clinical pharmacology and clinical trials; behavioral medicine; and
related areas of cancer research).
 
The purpose of this initiative is to address underrepresentation of
minority groups in research projects as investigators and subjects in
research projects involving human populations.  One method of
addressing this problem is to broaden the experience of the faculty at
minority health professional schools that serve these populations in
the initiation and participation in cancer research.  In doing so, the
pool of clinical biomedical investigators in all aspects of cancer
research will be increased, and trainees will become more  cognizant of
research opportunities in oncology and related disciplines.  These
institutions represent a unique concentration of minority faculty,
trainees, and patients to address the needs outlined above.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Program
Announcement, Minority Oncology Leadership Academic Award, is related
to the priority area of cancer.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy
of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or
"Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1)
through the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC  20402- 9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY AND REQUIRED ELEMENTS
 
Minority School
 
A minority health professional school is defined as a medical, dental,
pharmacy, public health, or equivalent school in which students of
minority ethnic groups, including African Americans, Hispanics,
American Indians, and Asians or Pacific Islanders, comprise a
significant proportion of the enrollments and that has a commitment to
the special encouragement of minority faculty, students, and
investigators.
 
Candidate
 
To be eligible, candidates must:
 
o  Have an appropriate clinical academic appointment at a minority
health professional school at the time the award is activated.  The
candidate must be a citizen, a non-citizen national of the U.S., or
have been lawfully admitted to the U.S. for permanent residence.
 
o  Have appropriate documented research experience and background in a
clinical oncology specialty and/or cancer research.
 
o  Specify a program for enhancement of personal research skills as
needed, and for the conduct of research in one or more areas cited in
this announcement.  Proposed research must be described in sufficient
detail for reviewers to evaluate the likelihood of success of this
element of the plan.  All sources of support proposed for this activity
must be indicated.
 
o  Present a program for developing or improving clinical cancer
research and training capabilities at the grantee institution.
 
o  Commit a minimum of 60 percent total time and effort to the research
and development aspects of the program.
 
o  Agree to report annually on the status of the program and to meet
annually to exchange information with NCI staff and other awardees.
 
o  Specify a plan for evaluating the effect of this award on the
candidate and institution.
 
The minority health professional school must:
 
o  Name and sponsor a senior or mid-level faculty member with research
competence and a major career interest in oncology and/or clinical
cancer research and related training programs.
 
o  Present plans to develop or improve cancer-related research and
research training educational programs.
 
o  Identify and document the availability of resources (populations,
patients, manpower, materials, equipment, laboratory facilities)
necessary to implement the proposed program.
 
o  Provide the candidate with time to acquire any new skills necessary
for individual professional development and for the development of the
program.
 
o  Provide evidence of commitment from the highest levels of
administration and from the sponsoring Departmental chairpersons to
implement the proposed program and to coordinate it with other ongoing
activities.
 
o  State the mechanisms planned for continued institutional support of
the program in the future.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of
Health academic/teacher award (K07).  Applicants will be responsible
for the planning, direction, and execution of the proposed project.
Awards will be administered under PHS grants policy as stated in the
Public Health Service Grants Policy Statement, DHHS Publication
No.(OASH) 90-50,000, revised October 1, 1990.  Awards are non-
renewable and non-transferable from one awardee to another.  Funding
beyond the first year of the grant is contingent on satisfactory
progress during the preceding year.
 
Awards may be requested for a period of three to five years.  Allowable
costs include:
 
o  A portion of the salary of the faculty leader up to a maximum of
$50,000 per year and related fringe benefits.
 
o  Costs for further optional preparation of the faculty leader in
additional clinical or basic research methodologies (this aspect of the
program is not to exceed the equivalent of one academic year total over
the duration of the award).
 
o  Domestic travel expenses for the awardee to attend professional
meetings, training courses, and an annual two-day awardee meeting in
Bethesda, MD.
 
o  Partial salary support up to $40,000 per year for one additional
faculty or staff researcher as a direct participant in research-related
activities or services.
 
o  Up to $10,000 per year in supplies for research activities.
 
o  Indirect costs not to exceed a maximum of eight percent of direct
costs, exclusive of tuition fees, if any.
 
o  The total award may not exceed $100,000 in direct costs per year.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
This award is aimed at encouraging and assisting a designated leader in
any of the minority health professional schools to increase his/her
institution's efforts in clinical cancer research in areas such as
medical oncology, prevention, etiology, diagnosis, treatment, or
control; and to aid in establishing a cadre of faculty and staff
capable of developing new research protocols and increasing
participation in intervention studies and clinical trials in these
areas.
 
These awards offer opportunities for supporting start-up or expansion
of such activities and are intended to meet needs that have not been
addressed by other types of awards available from the NCI or other
Federal agencies.  Priority is given to those minority institutions
with an interest in and commitment to expansion of clinical cancer
research-related activities in local populations.
 
STUDY POPULATIONS
 
It is the NIH policy that women and minorities must be included in
clinical study populations unless there is a good reason to exclude
them, and the study design must seek to identify any pertinent gender
or minority population differences.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need
for inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders
and conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or in adequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study populations must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research
design and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the
study.  This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in
Section 2, A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E,
Human Subjects.  Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the
feasibility of including the broadest possible representation of
minority groups.  However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible
or appropriate in all research projects to include representation of
the full array of United States racial/ethnic minority populations
(i.e., Native Americans (including American Indians or Alaskan
Natives), Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).  The rationale
for studies on single minority population groups should be provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also
apply. Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues cannot
be identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However, every
effort should be made to include human tissues from women and
racial/ethnic minorities when it is important to apply the results of
the study broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application,
the review will be deferred until the information is provided.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants
or cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES AND CRITERIA
 
Review Procedure
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed by the Division of Research
Grants (DRG) for completeness.  Incomplete applications will be
returned to the applicant without further consideration.  Evaluation
for responsiveness to the program requirements and criteria stated in
the announcement is an NCI program staff function.  Applications that
are judged non-responsive will be returned to the applicant.  Questions
concerning the relevance of proposed research Program Announcement may
be directed to program staff as described in the INQUIRIES section.
 
Applications will receive technical review by an initial review group
appointed by the NCI, with secondary review by the National Cancer
Advisory Board.
 
Review Criteria
 
o  Background and potential of the named candidate as a leader in
research and training activities in oncology and cancer and
demonstration of effectiveness as a leader within the institution.
 
o  Merit of the candidate's personal plan for development and his/her
plans for fostering increased research and training within the
institution.
 
o  Scope and nature of the collaboration and commitment among
participating departments and/or schools.
 
o  Merit of the institutional plan to strengthen research and training
activities beyond the current status of activities and capacities.
 
o  Appropriateness and potential efficacy of the proposed use of funds
to achieve the goals of the award.
 
o  Potential of the institution for recruitment and utilization of
clinical populations and research training of clinical researchers.
 
o  Commitment of the institution to strengthen clinical cancer research
and to support the candidate's efforts in this regard.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88 and 9/91) must
be used in applying to this program.  These forms are available at most
institutional business offices, from the Office of Grants Inquiries,
Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, Westwood
Building, Room 449, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, MD  20892,
telephone 301/496-7441, and from the NCI program director named below.
 
Submit a signed, typewritten original of the application, including the
Checklist, and four signed, exact photocopies, in one package to DRG at
the address below.  The photocopies must be clear and single sided.
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
At time of submission, send two (2) additional copies of the
application to:
 
Referral Officer
Division of Extramural Activities
National Cancer Institute
Westwood Building, Room 848
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
The title and number of this announcement must be typed in line 2 and
the box must be checked YES.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Direct inquiries regarding programmatic issues to:
 
Dr. Lemuel Evans
Division of Extramural Activities
Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Program
National Cancer Institute
Building 31, Room 10A04
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7344
FAX:  (301) 402-0062
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and scope of
this Program Announcement and inquiries about whether or not specific
proposed research would be responsive are encouraged and should be
directed to Dr. Lemuel Evans at the above address. The Program Director
welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from
potential applicants.
 
For information regarding budgetary/administrative issues, contact:
 
Ms. Carolyn Mason
Grants Management Specialist
Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Room 243
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7800, Extension 59
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic