Subject: (Copy) NIH GUIDE - V21(06) 02/14/92
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 92 08:25 EST

Good Morning,
   The latest NIH GUide and three RFAs have arrived for posting to the
NIH Listserver.  Please post this as:
     NIHGUIDE.920214
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19920214 V21N06 P1O1 ************************************
X-comment: RFAs described: DK-92-16, DE-92-01, HL-92-06-B
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 21, No. 6 - February 14, 1992
 
$$INDEX BEGIN *******************************************************
 
                     NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$INDEX R1 **********************************************************
 
PERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE:  A PILOT STUDY TO EVALUATE TREATMENT AND
PREVENTION STRATEGIES FOR ATHEROSCLEROTIC CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE--
CLINICAL CENTERS (RFP NHLBI-HC-92-11)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
INDEX:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
 
$$INDEX R2 07/15/92 *************************************************
 
PHYSIOLOGY AND PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THE PANCREATIC DUCTS (RFA DK-92-16)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
INDEX:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE, KIDNEY DISEASES
 
$$INDEX R3 05/06/92 *************************************************
 
DEVELOPMENT GRANTS: MINORITY ORAL HEALTH RESEARCH CENTERS (RFA DE-92-
01)
National Institute of Dental Research
National Center for Research Resources
INDEX:  DENTAL; RESEARCH RESOURCES
 
$$INDEX R4 05/07/92 *************************************************
 
THROMBOCYTOPENIAS IN WOMEN AND NEONATES (RFA HL-92-06-B)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
INDEX:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
 
                       ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$INDEX P1 **********************************************************
 
CLINICAL INVESTIGATOR AWARD FOR RESEARCH ON SPECIAL POPULATIONS (PA-92-
41)
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX END *********************************************************
 
                     NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN NHLBI-HC-92-11 *******************************************
 
PERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE:  A PILOT STUDY TO EVALUATE TREATMENT AND
PREVENTION STRATEGIES FOR ATHEROSCLEROTIC CARDIOVASCULAR
DISEASE--CLINICAL CENTERS
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 6, February 14, 1992
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NHLBI-HC-92-11
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715040, 0760002
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) requires six
clinical centers to participate in a pilot study to evaluate the exact
dosage of various drugs and drug combinations, drug interactions, and
adverse effects by monitoring a variety of biochemical markers of
atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.  This pilot study will also
assess the feasibility of conducting a full-scale trial among patients
with peripheral arterial disease (PAD).  The pilot study will employ a
factorial design in 600 participants with documented PAD (symptomatic
and asymptomatic).  The three interventions will consist of:  (1)
isolated increase in plasma HDL-C levels, (2) antithrombotic therapies
of warfarin and aspirin, and (3) antioxidant therapy.  The period of
performance is anticipated for three years beginning in September 1992.
 
This is an announcement of the availability of a Request for Proposals
(RFP).  RFP NHLBI-HC-92-11 will be available on or about February 11,
1992, with proposals due on April 24, 1992.  Six awards are anticipated
by the Government.  Offerors other than those in the North American
continent will not be considered.  Written requests for this RFP must
include three, self-addressed mailing labels and must cite RFP
NHLBI-HC-92-11.
 
Requests for copies of the RFP must be sent to:
 
Linda Y. Gardner
Contract Specialist
ECA Contracts Section
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 200
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
$$R1 END ************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN DK-92-16 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
PHYSIOLOGY AND PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THE PANCREATIC DUCTS
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 6, February 14, 1992
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DK-92-16
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002061, 0765035, 0715085
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  June 15, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  July 15, 1992
 
NOTE THAT THE FULL TEXT OF THIS RFA SHOULD BE REQUESTED:  SEE INQUIRIES
SECTION
 
PURPOSE
 
The Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition, and the Division of
Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism of the National Institute of
Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) announces the
availability of a request for applications (RFA) that conduct basic and
clinical studies into the physiology and pathophysiology of the
pancreatic ducts.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Basic and Clinical Studies on the Physiology and Pathophysiology of the
Pancreatic Ducts, is related to the priority area of diabetes and
chronic disabling conditions.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy
of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or
Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1)
through the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC  20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic and foreign for-profit and
non-profit organizations, public and private, such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State and local
governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.  Minority
individuals and women are encouraged to apply.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the NIH grant-in-aid research
project grant (R01) award. Responsibility for the planning, direction,
and execution of the proposed project will be solely that of the
applicant.  Except as otherwise stated in this announcement, awards
will be administered under PHS grants policy as stated in the PHS
Grants Policy Statement.
 
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Future unsolicited competing
continuation applications will compete with all investigator-initiated
applications and will be reviewed according to the customary NIH peer
review procedures.  The total requested project period for applications
submitted in response to this RFA may not exceed five years.  A maximum
of three years may be requested for foreign awards.  The earliest
possible award date will be April 1, 1993.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
For FY 93, $1.0 million will be committed to fund applications
submitted in response to this RFA.  It is anticipated that five to
seven awards will be made.  However, this funding level is dependent
upon the receipt of a sufficient number of applications of high
scientific merit.  In order to help meet NIDDK goals for managing the
costs of biomedical research, applicants may not request more than
$160,000 direct costs for the initial budget period.  Although this
program is provided for in the financial plans of the NIDDK, the award
of grants pursuant to this RFA is also contingent upon the availability
of funds for this purpose.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
A neglected but very important component of the pancreas, the
pancreatic ductules and duct system, was the subject of a three-day
conference held in September 1991.  Because duct cells represent only
about 10 percent of the adult exocrine pancreas, they have been
difficult to study.  Recently, investigators have been able to use
tissue culture and microdissection techniques to study duct cells in
vitro.  The ion transport, neural and hormonal regulation, and other
electrophysiological measurements of these cells can now be made in
health and disease.  Some of the common diseases of pancreatic ducts
are pancreatitis, cystic fibrosis, and adenocarcinoma.  All of these
basic and clinical areas offer opportunities to expand our knowledge of
the physiology and pathophysiology of the pancreatic duct system.
 
STUDY POPULATIONS
 
It is NIH policy that women and minorities must be included in clinical
study populations unless there is a good reason to exclude them.  The
study design must seek to identify any pertinent gender or minority
population differences.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations, a specific justification for this exclusion must be
provided.  Applications without such documentation will not be accepted
for review.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit, by June 15, 1992, a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed research,
the name, address, and telephone number of the Principal Investigator,
the identities of other key personnel and participating institutions,
and the number and title of the RFA in response to which the
application is being submitted.
 
Although a letter of intent is not required, is not binding, and does
not enter into the review of subsequent applications, the information
that it contains is helpful in planning for the review of applications.
It allows NIDDK staff to estimate the potential review workload and to
avoid possible conflict of interest in the review.
 
The letter of intent is to be sent to:
 
Chief, Review Branch
Division of Extramural Activities
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 605
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7083
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 (revised 9/91) is to be
used in applying for these grants.  The form is available from most
institutional business offices and from the Office of Grants Inquiries,
Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, 5333
Westbard Avenue, Room 449, Bethesda, MD 20892, telephone 301/496-7441.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Applications that are complete and responsive to the RFA will be
evaluated by an appropriate peer review group convened by the NIDDK in
accordance with the usual NIH peer review procedures.  Following
review, the applications will be given a secondary review by the NIDDK
Advisory Council unless not recommended for further consideration by
the initial review group.  Applications that are incomplete or
unresponsive to the RFA will be returned to the applicant or held until
the next regular receipt date and reviewed by the Division of Research
Grants if so requested by the applicant.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning this RFA are encouraged.
The RFA may be obtained from:
 
Sarah C. Kalser, Ph.D.
Pancreatic Diseases Program Director
Division of Digestive Diseases & Nutrition
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 3A-17
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7858
 
Inquiries regarding fiscal matters should be directed to:
 
Ms. Thelma Jones
Grants Management Specialist
Division of Extramural Activities
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 649
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7467
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.847 and No. 93.848.  Awards are under authorization of the
Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A (Public Law 78-410, as
amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and 285) and administered
under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR 52 and 45 CFR
Part 74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R2 END ************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN DE-92-01 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
DEVELOPMENT GRANTS:  MINORITY ORAL HEALTH RESEARCH CENTERS
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 6, February 14, 1992
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DE-92-01
 
P.T. 04, FF; K.W. 0715148, 0710030
 
National Institute of Dental Research
National Center for Research Resources
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  March 1, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  May 6, 1992
 
THE REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS (RFA) ANNOUNCED IN THIS NOTICE CONTAINS
ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR THE PREPARATION OF AN APPLICATION.  POTENTIAL
APPLICANTS MAY OBTAIN THE COMPLETE RFA FROM THE CONTACT LISTED, BELOW.
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Dental Research (NIDR) and the Research
Centers in Minority Institutions (RCMI) Program of the National Center
for Research Resources (NCRR) invite applications for grants for
development of Regional Research Centers for Minority Oral Health
(RRCMOH).  The purpose of these Phase I grants is to enable minority
dental schools or dental schools serving large minority populations to
develop the necessary alliances and organizational structure necessary
to compete for Phase II grants for the support of RRCMOHs.  An RFA for
Phase II, five-year grants for support of RRCMOHs will be available in
1994.  The objectives of the RRCMOH initiative are to:  (1) conduct
research to improve the oral health of U.S. racial and ethnic
minorities; (2) enhance the research capabilities and participation of
members of racial and ethnic minorities in oral health research; and
(3) develop and strengthen the minority oral health research
infrastructure of minority dental schools and of majority dental
schools serving large minority populations.  African Americans
(Blacks), Hispanics, Asians and Pacific Islanders, and American Indians
and Alaskan Natives are considered to be racial or ethnic minorities.
 
An orientation meeting for potential applicants will be conducted by
NIDR and NCRR/RCMI extramural program staff in connection with the
annual meeting of the American Association for Dental Research, March
11, 1992, in Boston, Massachusetts.  Details of the time and location
of the meeting are available from the NIDR staff.  A summary of the
meeting will be available from the NIDR staff.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Developmental Grants for Regional Research Centers for Minority Oral
Health, is related to the priority area of reducing health disparities
among Americans by improving oral health.  Potential applicants may
obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report: Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Two types of United States institutions are eligible to apply:
minority dental schools or other dental schools serving large
populations of minorities.  Only the following organizational
structures are acceptable:
 
1.  A minority dental school must propose an alliance with one or more
research-intensive dental schools.  Such a structure may include
alliances with one or more other minority institutions.
 
2.  A dental school serving a large minority population must propose an
alliance with one or more, research-intensive institutions.  Such a
structure may include alliances with one or more minority institutions.
When a dental school serving a large minority population qualifies as
a research-intensive institution, alliances must be proposed with one
or more minority institutions.
 
A dental school serving a large minority population is defined as one
in which the patient population served is more than 50 percent
individuals of the minority racial and ethnic groups listed above.  A
research-intensive institution is defined as one that received more
than $1 million in dental research and research training support during
Fiscal Year 1991.  A list of organizations receiving $1,000,000 or more
from the NIDR is provided as an appendix to this RFA.  Additional
institutions may apply.  A minority institution is defined as any
educational, health-care, or research institution largely staffed by or
serving racial/ethnic minorities.
 
To be responsive to this RFA, an application must propose collaborative
alliances with other institutions, that conform to the organizational
structures listed above and address the objectives of the RRCMOH
initiative.  A research-intensive institution may not be the applicant
organization unless it serves a large minority population.
Applications proposing alliances between minority institutions without
involvement of research- intensive institutions are not acceptable.
Regional proximity of the allied institutions would be an asset but,
for a variety of reasons, such an arrangement may not be possible.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Awards will be the National Institutes of Health developmental grants
(P20).  Awards will be for three years and the earliest funding date is
September 1, 1992.  Responsibility for the planning, direction, and
execution of the proposed project will be solely that of the applicant
institution; however periodic consultation with NIDR and NCRR/RCMI
staff will be expected.  This RFA is a one time solicitation by the
NIDR and the NCRR/RCMI.  A separate RFA soliciting applications for
Phase II, five-year, P50 awards to support RRCMOH will be available in
1994.  The receipt of a Phase I grant will not be a prerequisite for
submission of an application for a Phase II grant.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
It is anticipated that six, three-year awards may be made.  No award
will exceed $225,000 in direct costs for the first year.  Additional
support, up to $50,000 in direct costs for the first year, may be
provided to minority dental schools or other qualified minority
institutions for RRCMOH-related faculty development activities.
 
STUDY POPULATION
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women and minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a special justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit, by March 1, 1992, a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed center, the
name, address and telephone number of the center director, co-director,
the identities of other key personnel and participating institutions,
and the number and title of this RFA.  Although a letter of intent is
not required, is not binding, and does not enter into the review of
subsequent applications, the information that it contains is helpful in
planning for the review of applications.  It allows NIDR staff to
estimate the potential review workload and to avoid possible conflict
of interest in the review.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applications must be received by May 6, 1992.  Prospective applicants
are advised to communicate with program and grants management staff of
the NIDR Extramural Program as early as possible in the planning phase
of application preparation.  The research grant application form PHS
398 (rev. 9/91) is to be used in applying for these grants.  These
forms are available at most institutional business offices; from the
Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, National
Institutes of Health, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 449, Bethesda, MD
20892; and from the program administrator named below.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Applications that are complete and responsive will be evaluated for
scientific and technical merit by a special review committee convened
by the NIDR Scientific Review Office.  Applications may be subjected to
triage to determine merit relative to other applications.  The NIDR
will withdraw from further competition those applications judged by
triage to be noncompetitive for award and notify the applicant and
institutional official.  Applications judged to be competitive will
undergo further scientific merit review by a special review committee
convened by the NIDR.  The second level of review will be provided by
the National Advisory Dental Research Council.
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
The NIDR appreciates the value of complementary funding from other
public and private sources, including foundations and industrial
concerns, for activities that will complement and expand those
supported by the NIDR and NCRR/RCMI.  Such circumstances will be
considered in making any award.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Requests for the RFA and inquiries related to the RFA may be addressed
to:
 
Matthew Kinnard, Ph.D.
Director, Oral Soft Tissue Diseases and AIDS Program
Extramural Program
National Institute of Dental Research
Westwood Building, Room 509
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7784
 
Direct inquiries concerning fiscal matters to:
 
Theresa Ringler
Grants Management Officer
Extramural Program
National Institute of Dental Research
Westwood Building, Room 518
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7437
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.121.  Awards are under authorization of the Public Health
Service Act, Title IV, Part A (Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public
Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and 285) and administered under PHS grants
policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This
program is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R3 END ************************************************************
 
$$R4 BEGIN HL-92-06-B FULL-TEXT *************************************
 
THROMBOCYTOPENIAS IN WOMEN AND NEONATES
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 6, February 14, 1992
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HL-92-06-B
 
P.T. 34, AA, II; K.W. 0715040, 0710070, 1002004, 1002008, 0785070
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  March 20, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  May 7, 1992
 
THE REQUEST FOR APPLICATION (RFA) ANNOUNCED IN THIS NOTICE CONTAINS
ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR THE PREPARATION OF AN APPLICATION.  POTENTIAL
APPLICANTS MAY OBTAIN THE RFA FROM THE CONTACT NAMED IN INQUIRIES
BELOW.
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute announces the
availability of an RFA on the above subject.  The purpose of this
initiative is to encourage research that better defines the properties
and clinical relevance of the antibodies to platelets in alloimmune and
autoimmune thrombocytopenias in women and neonates.  It is hoped that
the information generated will lead to improved therapy for the patient
population.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Thrombocytopenias in Women and Neonates, is related to the priority
area of maternal and infant health.  Potential applicants may obtain a
copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0)
or "Healthy People 2000"  (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1)
through the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC  20402-9325 (telephone 202-782-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
All domestic public and private, for-profit and non-profit institutions
or organizations are eligible to apply in response to this RFA.  Awards
in connection with this announcement will be made to foreign
institutions only for research of very unusual merit, need, and
promise, and in accordance with Public Health Service policy governing
such awards.  Applications from minority individuals and women are
encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
This RFA will use the National Institutes of Health (NIH) individual
research grant (R01) and is a one-time solicitation.  Applicants will
plan and execute the research programs and are requested to furnish
estimates of the time required to achieve the objectives of the
proposed research project.  Up to FIVE YEARS of support may be
requested.  At the end of the award period, renewal applications may be
submitted for peer review and competition for support through the
unsolicited grant program of the NIH.  It is anticipated that support
for the present program will begin in September 1992.  Administrative
adjustments in project period and/or amount of support may be required
at the time of the award.  All current policies and requirements that
govern the research grant programs of the NIH will apply to grants
awarded in connection with this RFA.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
Although the financial plans for fiscal year 1992 include $1.5 million
for this program, award of grants pursuant to this RFA is contingent
upon receipt of funds for this purpose.  It is anticipated that about
six grants will be awarded.  The specific amount to be funded will,
however, depend on the merit and scope of the applications received and
on the availability of funds.  Since a variety of approaches would
represent valid responses to this announcement, it is anticipated that
there will be a range of costs among individual grants awarded.  If
collaborative arrangements involve sub-contracts with other
institutions, the NHLBI Grants Operations Branch (telephone:
301-496-7257) must be consulted regarding procedures to be followed.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The following are examples of research areas, but prospective
applicants are urged to use their own ideas regarding the area of
research to be explored.
 
o  characterize the etiology and improve the diagnosis of autoimmune
thrombocytopenia in women, especially during pregnancy; develop
improved methods for differentiating autoimmune thrombocytopenia from
"incidental" thrombocytopenia in pregnant women and for assessing the
risk that an infant will be born thrombocytopenic and suffer
hemorrhagic complications.
 
o  prevalence and pathogenesis of neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenic
purpura and develop improved methods for diagnosis and treatment and
for assessment of the risk of neonatal thrombocytopenia and hemorrhagic
complications.
 
o  better define the biochemical nature and clinical relevance of the
antigens and antiplatelet antibodies involved in immune
thrombocytopenia including immunoglobulin subclasses, cytotoxic
mechanisms, target antigens, epitope specificity, antigen frequency
amongst minority populations, and cross reactivity with endothelial and
other cells.
 
o  improved understanding of platelet production and clearance in women
and infants with thrombocytopenia and developmental aspects of allo-
and auto-antigen expression on fetal platelets and on megakaryocytic
precursors.
 
o  prevalence, pathogenesis and treatment of other forms of
thrombocytopenia associated with pregnancy.
 
The NHLBI will sponsor annual meetings to encourage the exchange of
information among investigators who participate in this program.
 
STUDY POPULATIONS
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
The NHLBI requests that prospective applicants submit a letter of
intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed research and
identification of other participating institutions.  Such letters are
requested only for the purpose of providing an indication of the number
and scope of applications to be received; therefore, their receipt is
not acknowledged.  A letter of intent is not binding, will not enter
into the review of any application subsequently submitted, nor is it a
necessary requirement for applications.  This letter of intent, is to
be received by March 20, 1992, and is to be sent to:
 
Dr. Charles L. Turbyfill
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 553
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7351
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applications are to be submitted on the research project grant
application form PHS 398 (rev. 9/91).  This form is available in an
applicant institution's office of sponsored research or business office
and the Office of Grants Inquiries, National Institutes of Health, 5333
Westbard Avenue, Room 449, Bethesda, MD 20892, telephone 301/496-7441.
 
In the preparation of the budget for the grant application, applicants
should REQUEST ADDITIONAL TRAVEL FUNDS for one meeting each year that
will be held in Bethesda, Maryland.  Applicants should also include a
statement in the applications indicating their willingness to
participate in such meetings.
 
Application Receipt Date:  May 7, 1992
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed for responsiveness to the
objectives of the RFA.  If an application is judged unresponsive, the
applicant will be contacted to withdraw the application or resubmit as
an unsolicited grant application for the next review cycle.
 
Applications judged to be responsive will be reviewed for scientific
and technical merit by an initial review group, that will be convened
by the Division of Extramural Affairs, NHLBI, solely to review these
applications.
 
This initial review will include a preliminary evaluation to determine
scientific merit relative to the other applications received in
response to the RFA (triage).  The NHLBI will withdraw from further
consideration applications judged to be noncompetitive and promptly
notify the Principal Investigator/program director and the official
signing for the applicant organization.  Those applications judged to
be competitive will be further evaluated for scientific/technical merit
by the usual peer review procedures.
 
The second level review will be by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Advisory Council.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Inquiries regarding this program and requests for the RFA document are
to be addressed to:
 
Dr. Pankaj Ganguly
Division of Blood Diseases and Resources
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 5C14
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-2237
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Ms. Jane R. Davis
Chief, Blood Division Grants Management Section
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 4A11
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7257
FAX:  (301) 402-1200
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
The programs of the Division of Blood Diseases and Resources, NHLBI,
are described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance Number
93.839.  Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health
Service Act, Section 301 (42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grants
policies and Federal regulations, most specifically 42 CFR Part 52 and
45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental
review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or to Health Systems
Agency review.
 
$$R4 END ************************************************************
 
                      ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-92-41 *************************************************
 
CLINICAL INVESTIGATOR AWARD FOR RESEARCH ON SPECIAL POPULATIONS
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 6, February 14, 1992
 
PA NUMBER:  PA-92-41
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0745020, 0745027, 0745070
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Application Receipt Dates:  June 1, 1992, October 1, 1992, February 1,
1993
 
PURPOSE
 
The Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Research Program, Division of
Extramural Activities, National Cancer Institute (NCI), announces the
availability of Clinical Investigator Awards for Research on Special
Populations.  The term "special populations" refers to those population
segments that may experience or are known to experience high cancer
rates and are underserved in terms of:  cancer prevention and control
programs (e.g., smoking cessation and health screening programs);
diagnostic and treatment modalities; study for special risk factors or
underlying biological differences; and access to routine medical care.
The definition of special populations includes: African Americans,
Alaska Natives, American Indians, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders,
Hispanics, the elderly, and low-income groups.
 
The award will enable candidates to undertake three to five years of
special study and supervised research experience tailored to individual
needs with a sponsor (or sponsors) who is competent to provide research
guidance.  This award is intended to cover the transition between
postdoctoral research experience and an independent research career and
to acquaint the candidate with the often unique challenges and
circumstances involved in designing research protocols directed toward
improving the health of groups comprising a significant and often
disproportional percentage of individuals at risk from high cancer
morbidity and mortality rates.  It is anticipated that the experience
and results achieved by the awardee from this special grants program,
in the majority of cases, will provide the basis for successful
competition in the independent research support programs of the NCI.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Program
Announcement (PA), Clinical Investigator Award for Research on Special
Populations, is related to the priority area of cancer research.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of
Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, DC  20402-9325
(Telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
The award is designed to provide intensive, supervised research
experience on the above designated topics. Although the award is
primarily for individuals with an M.D. degree, applications will be
accepted from M.D.s and D.O.s who have a Ph.D. or an equivalent
research degree if special circumstances can be shown such as a Ph.D.
in an unrelated field or an intervening period of clinical training
since the completion of the Ph.D.  These applications will be
considered on a case-by-case basis.
 
If the candidate has less than three or more than seven years of
postdoctoral experience at the time of application, a strong
justification for an exception must be included in the application and
must be clearly indicated as such.
 
Candidates must have completed their clinical training by the time of
award, have documented competence in clinical activities, and have
research experience in the chosen area of interest.  Candidates must
provide evidence of a serious intent for research and academic careers
and an interest in medical issues associated with special populations.
 
Candidates from minority and non-minority institutions may apply.
 
Applicants for this Clinical Investigator Award may not submit a
concurrent application for an NIH Research Career Development Award
(K11), Academic Award (K07), First Independent Research Support and
Transition (FIRST) Award (R29), or a research project grant (R01).
However, an Awardee of this program may apply subsequently for a
research project grant or a FIRST Award.
 
The grantee institution must be a domestic nonprofit research
institution, school, or comparable institution with strong,
well-established research and training programs, adequate numbers of
highly trained faculty in clinical and basic science departments, and
development of independent research careers.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of
Health Clinical Investigator Award (K08).  Applicants will be
responsible for the planning, direction, and execution of the proposed
project.  Except as otherwise stated in this PA, awards will be
administered under PHS Grants Policy Statement, DHHS Publication No.
(OASH) 90-50,000, revised October 1, 1990.
 
Conditions of the Award
 
Applicants may request three to five years of support.  Awards are
non-renewable and non-transferable from one awardee institution to
another.  Funding beyond the first year of the grant is contingent on
satisfactory progress during the preceding year.
 
Allowable costs may include:
 
o  Awardee's Salary:  a maximum of $50,000 per year for full-time
support; in addition, fringe benefits will be provided.  Institutional
supplementation is permitted.
 
o  Research Support:  a maximum of $10,000 annually for years 01 and 02
and $20,000 annually for succeeding years to provide the categories
listed below.
 
o  Equipment:  specialized research equipment essential to the proposed
program.  The available facilities should include most of the necessary
equipment.
 
o  Supplies:  consumable supplies essential to the proposed program.
 
o  Travel:  domestic travel essential to the proposed program.
 
o  Tuition for Training Courses:  if essential to the awardee's
individual research development program.
 
o  Other:  publication costs, patient costs, and other expenses
necessary for the research program.
 
Indirect Costs - The indirect cost rate may not exceed eight percent of
the total allowable direct costs.  The grantee institution's share of
the fringe benefits may be paid as a direct cost (if not treated as an
indirect cost) on that portion of the salary provided by the Clinical
Investigator Award.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
o  To increase the number of physician-investigators in medical
oncology, surgical oncology, preventive oncology, and diagnostic and
therapeutic radiology and epidemiology, nutrition, and behavioral
medicine, as they relate to cancer, who are committed to investigate
the unique problems facing special populations.
 
o  To provide an opportunity for clinically trained physicians with a
commitment to research to develop as independent biomedical research
investigators.
 
STUDY POPULATIONS
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need
for inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders
and conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or in adequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study populations must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research
design and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the
study.  This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in
Section 2, A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E,
Human Subjects.  Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the
feasibility of including the broadest possible representation of
minority groups.  However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible
or appropriate in all research projects to include representation of
the full array of United States racial/ethnic minority populations
(i.e., Native Americans (including American Indians or Alaskan
Natives), Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).  The rationale
for studies on single minority population groups should be provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also
apply.  Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues
cannot be identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However,
every effort should be made to include human tissues from women and
racial/ethnic minorities when it is important to apply the results of
the study broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application,
the review will be deferred until the information is provided.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants
or cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 9/91) is to be used
in applying to this program.  These forms are available at most
institutional business offices, from the Office of Grants Inquiries,
Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, Westwood
Building, Room 449, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, MD  20892, and from
the NCI program director named below.
 
Submit a signed, typewritten original of the application, including the
Checklist, and four signed, exact photocopies, in one package to the
address below.  The photocopies must be clear and single sided.
 
DIVISION OF RESEARCH GRANTS
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
At time of submission, send two additional copies of the application
to:
 
REFERRAL OFFICER
Division of Extramural Activities
National Cancer Institute
Westwood Building, Room 848
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
The receipt dates for all applications are found in the form PHS 398
instructions.  The title and number of this announcement must be typed
on line 2 of the application face page and the box must be checked YES.
 
Candidates must provide a description of the proposed research and
career development plan for the period of the award in Section 2 of the
application under the heading "Research Plan."  The candidate must be
prepared to commit full-time effort to the objectives of this award.
It is required that a minimum of 75 percent effort be devoted to the
research program.  The remaining 25 percent may be divided among other
activities such as teaching and clinical training pursuits only if they
are consonant with the program goals, i.e., the awardee's development
into an independent biomedical research investigator.
 
The reasons for a commitment to research in the problems facing special
populations with respect to cancer must be indicated.
 
The sponsor must provide:
 
o His/her concept of a development and research plan for the awardee.
 
o A current curriculum vitae with a complete bibliography and research
support.
 
o A letter indicating his/her evaluation of the proposed awardee and
his/her willingness to provide guidance and support.
 
Evidence of the commitment of the institution to the candidate's
research and development must be provided.
 
Adequate access to populations comprised of one or more of the groups
targeted by this award must be demonstrated.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed initially by the Division
of Research Grants (DRG) for completeness and will be assigned on the
basis of Public Health Service referral guidelines.  Incomplete
applications will be returned to the applicant without further
consideration.
 
Applications will be reviewed for scientific and technical merit by an
appropriate peer review group convened by the relevant Institute or
Center.  Following scientific-technical review, the applications will
receive a second-level review by the appropriate national advisory
council.  Criteria for the initial review include:
 
o  The candidate's potential for a career in independent research.
 
o  The candidate's commitment to a research career.
 
o  The overall merit of the candidate's plan for research and the
development of research skills.
 
o  The quality of the candidate's clinical training and experience.
 
o  The institutions's ability to provide quality facilities, resources,
and opportunities necessary to the candidate's research development.
 
o  Presence of highly trained faculty in clinical and basic science
departments relative to the area of study.
 
o  The ability and plans of the sponsor (or sponsors) who will provide
the candidate with the guidance necessary for career development in
research.
 
The review group will recommend an appropriate budget for each approved
application.
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
Applications will compete for available funds with all other approved
applications.  The following will be considered making funding
decisions:
 
o  Quality of the proposed project as determined by peer review
o  Availability of funds
o  Program balance among research areas of the announcement
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries to clarify any issues or questions from
potential applicants are encouraged and may be directed to:
 
Dr. Lemuel A. Evans
Division of Extramural Activities
Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Program
National Cancer Institute
Building 31, Room 10A04
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7344
FAX:  (301) 402-0062
 
For information regarding budgetary/administrative issues related to
this PA, contact:
 
Ms. Carolyn Mason
Grants Management Specialist
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Room 243
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7800, Extension 59
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.398, Cancer Research Manpower.  Awards are made under the
authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A (Public
Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and 285) and
administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR
Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or
Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$P1 END ************************************************************