Subject: (Copy) NIH GUIDE - V21(09) 03/06/92 - P1/2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 08:04 EST

Hi Paul,
    There will be several messages coming your way today.  Please
post this to the NIH Listserver as:
    NIHGUIDE.920306
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19920306 V21N09 P1O2 ************************************
X-comment: RFAs described: MH-92-03
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 21, No. 9 - March 6, 1992
 
$$INDEX BEGIN *******************************************************
 
                                    NOTICES
 
$$INDEX N1 **********************************************************
 
NATIONAL WORKSHOPS ON THE PROTECTION OF HUMAN SUBJECTS
National Institutes of Health
INDEX:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
 
                               NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$INDEX R1 **********************************************************
 
NATIONAL TEMPORAL BONE, HEARING, AND BALANCE PATHOLOGY RESOURCE
REGISTRY (RFP NIH-DC-92-07)
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
INDEX:  DEAFNESS, OTHER COMMUNICATION DISORDERS
 
$$INDEX R2 **********************************************************
 
BIOCHEMICAL GENETIC MONITORING OF RODENTS (RFP NCI-CM-37815-30)
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX R3 05/19/92 *************************************************
 
COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT FOR A MULTI-SITE TREATMENT STUDY OF ATTENTION-
DEFICIT HYPERACTIVITY DISORDER/ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER (RFA MH-92-
03)
National Institute of Mental Health
INDEX:  MENTAL HEALTH
 
$$INDEX R4 05/12/92 *************************************************
 
INITIATIVES FOR MINORITY STUDENTS: BRIDGES TO THE FUTURE (RFA GM-92-02)
National Institute of General Medical Sciences
INDEX:  GENERAL MEDICAL SCIENCES
 
                                  ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$INDEX P1 **********************************************************
 
NOVEL NON-IONIZING RADIATION TECHNOLOGIES FOR BREAST CANCER IMAGING
(PA-92-45)
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX P2 **********************************************************
 
RESEARCH ON THE PREVENTION OF ALCOHOL ABUSE AMONG YOUTH (PA-92-46)
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
INDEX:  ALCOHOL ABUSE, ALCOHOLISM
 
$$INDEX P3 **********************************************************
 
NEUROFIBROMATOSIS (PA-92-47)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
National Cancer Institute
INDEX:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE; CANCER
 
$$INDEX P4 **********************************************************
 
THE HEREDITARY ATAXIAS INCLUDING MACHADO-JOSEPH DISEASE (PA-92-48)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
INDEX:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE
 
$$INDEX P5 **********************************************************
 
RESEARCH ON FERTILITY AND FERTILITY-RELATED BEHAVIOR (PA-92-49)
National Institute for Child Health and Human Development
INDEX:  CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
 
$$INDEX P6 **********************************************************
 
TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT, MAPPING, AND DNA SEQUENCING IN SUPPORT OF THE
HUMAN GENOME PROGRAM (PA-92-50)
National Center for Human Genome Research
INDEX:  HUMAN GENOME
 
$$INDEX END *********************************************************
 
                                        NOTICES
 
$$N1 BEGIN **********************************************************
 
NATIONAL WORKSHOPS ON THE PROTECTION OF HUMAN SUBJECTS
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 9, March 6, 1992
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 0783005
 
National Institutes of Health
Food and Drug Administration
 
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) are sponsoring a series of workshops on the
responsibilities of researchers, Institutional Review Boards (IRBs),
and institutional officials for the protection of human subjects in
research.  The workshops are open to everyone with an interest in
research involving human subjects.  The meetings should be of special
interest to those persons currently serving or about to begin serving
as a member of an IRB.  Issues discussed at these workshops are
relevant to all other Public Health Service agencies.  The current
schedule includes the following:
 
SOUTHWEST WORKSHOP
 
DATES:  March 24, 25, and 26, 1992
 
WORKSHOP SITE:  Sheraton Old Town Hotel
                800 Rio Grande Blvd., N.W.
                Albuquerque, NM  87104
 
SPONSORS:
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131-5126
 
Navajo Community College
Shiprock, NM  87420
 
REGISTRATION CONTACT:
University of New Mexico
Office of Continuing Medical Education
Health Sciences and Services Building (Room 140)
Box 713
Albuquerque, NM  87131-5126
Telephone:  (505) 277-3942
 
TOPIC:  Ethics, Justice, and Tribal Participation in Research with
American Indians
 
NOTE:  In conjunction with this Workshop, a session entitled, "Basic
Training for IRB Members," will be held from 1:00 p.m. on March 24
until noon on March 25.  During this session the Workshop participants
will be divided into four IRBs that will review four different research
protocols involving American Indians.  The full conference will convene
at 1:00 p.m. on March 25 and continue until 6:00 p.m. on March 26.
 
NORTHEASTERN WORKSHOP
 
DATES:  April 27 and 28, 1992
 
WORKSHOP SITE:  Philadelphia, PA
 
SPONSORS:
University of Pennsylvania
133 South 36th Street, Suite 300
Philadelphia, PA  19104-3246
 
Lincoln University
Lincoln University, PA  19352
 
REGISTRATION CONTACT:
Ms. Lynn Bevan
Assistant Director
Office of Research Administration
University of Pennsylvania
133 South 36th Street, Suite 300
Philadelphia, PA  19104-3246
Telephone:  (215) 898-2614
 
TOPIC:  The Shifting Ground:  Current Issues for the Protection of
Human Subjects on Biomedical and Behavioral Research
 
For further information regarding these workshops and future NIH/FDA
National Protection of Human Subjects Workshops, please contact:
 
Ms. Darlene Marie Ross
Executive Assistant for Education
Division of Human Subject Protections
Office for Protection from Research Risks
9000 Rockville Pike
Building 31, Room 5B59
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8101
 
$$N1 END ************************************************************
 
                 NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN NIH-DC-92-07 *********************************************
 
NATIONAL TEMPORAL BONE, HEARING, AND BALANCE PATHOLOGY RESOURCE
REGISTRY
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 9, March 6, 1992
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-DC-92-07
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0780000, 0780030, 0775005
 
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
 
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders,
National Institutes of Health, has a requirement to establish the
National Human Temporal Bone, Hearing and Balance Pathology Resource
Registry that will serve as a National registry or clearinghouse,
maintaining a catalog of currently active and inactive temporal bone
collections.  In addition, the Registry will encourage the pursuit of
human temporal bone research by:  disseminating pertinent information,
developing and fostering temporal bone professional education
activities, and encouraging investigator collaborations in the study of
the human temporal bone and brain structures subserving the auditory
and vestibular systems.  The contractor selected for award must have
expertise in the administration and/or conduct of otopathology research
at the M.D. and/or Ph.D. level.  A three-year, cost-reimbursement type
contract is anticipated.  The solicitation is scheduled for release on
or about March 9, 1992 with proposals due April 23, 1992.  All
responsible sources may submit a proposal that will be considered.
 
Requests for the Request for Proposals must be directed to:
 
John P. DeCenzo
Research Contracts Branch
Division of Contracts and Grants
Office of the Director
Building 31, Room 1B44
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-4487
 
$$R1 END ************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN NCI-CM-37815-30 ******************************************
 
BIOCHEMICAL GENETIC MONITORING OF RODENTS
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 9, March 6, 1992
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NCI-CM-37815-30
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0780000, 1002019, 1002027, 1003018
 
National Cancer Institute
 
The Biological Testing Program (BTP), Development Therapeutics Program
(DTP), Division of Cancer Treatment (DCT), National Cancer Institute
(NCI), National Institutes of Health (NIH), seeks proposals from
organizations having the capabilities to provide a genetic monitoring
resource for the BTP.  Genetic monitoring for quality assurance will
accompany the long-standing efforts in microbiological quality, so that
each animal produced from derived stock, under BTP production
contracts, is as well defined as possible.  Genetic monitoring will be
accomplished by biochemical means, i.e., testing for loci involved in
producing cellular enzyme or protein variants.
 
It is anticipated that one contract will be awarded for this effort, as
a result of this Request for Proposals (RFP), for a period of 60
months.  This RFP is a recompetition of the "Biochemical Genetic
Monitoring of Rodents" project being performed by Texas A & M
University. RFP No. NCI-CM-37815-30 will be available on or about March
9, 1992, by written request to:
 
Ms. Elas B. Carlton
Contract Specialist, Research Contracts Branch
Treatment Contracts Section
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Room 604
9000 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8620
 
The deadline for submission of proposals will be April 21, 1992.
Requests for the RFP must cite the above number.  No collect calls will
be accepted.
 
$$R2 END ************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN MH-92-03 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT FOR A MULTI-SITE TREATMENT STUDY OF ATTENTION-
DEFICIT HYPERACTIVITY DISORDER/ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 9, March 6, 1992
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  MH-92-03
 
P.T. 34, AA; K.W. 0404004, 0720010, 0414014
 
National Institute of Mental Health
 
Application Receipt Date:  May 19, 1992
 
THE REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS (RFA) ANNOUNCED IN THIS NOTICE CONTAINS
ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR THE PREPARATION OF AN APPLICATION.  POTENTIAL
APPLICANTS MAY OBTAIN THE RFA FROM THE CONTACT NAMED IN "INQUIRIES"
BELOW.
 
PURPOSE
 
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder/Attention Deficit Disorder
(ADHD/ADD), a syndrome of inattentiveness, impulsiveness, and over-
activity, is perhaps the most prevalent of Axis I childhood psychiatric
disorders, at least among referrals to child mental health clinics.
Although many treatments have been advocated and used, none alone seem
completely satisfactory, especially over extended periods of time.  The
non-uniformity of hyperactive children's responses to each treatment
and combination of treatments is probably related to the extensive
associated comorbidity (e.g., conduct disorder, depression, anxiety,
learning disorder).  The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
Multimodal Treatment Study of ADHD/ADD to be developed by this
cooperative agreement will address a range of treatment issues
concerning ADHD emphasized by the Institute of Medicine study "Research
on Children and Adolescents with Mental, Behavioral, and Developmental
Disorders," the NIMH "National Plan for Research on Child and
Adolescent Mental Disorders," the "Healthy People 2000," and "Healthy
Children 2000" objectives in the area of mental disorders in children
and adolescents, and the existing literature.  This will be a
five-year, multi-site collaborative study with the intention of
considering further follow-up.
 
HEALTH PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority objectives.  Of the
300 such objectives, 170 concerning children and adolescents have been
collected into "Healthy Children 2000."  This RFA, Cooperative
Agreement for a Multi-site Treatment Study of Attention-Deficit
Hyperactivity Disorder/Attention Deficit Disorder, is related to the
priority area of research on "appropriate biomedical and psychosocial
interventions."  A copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock
Number 017-001-00474-0, or the Summary Report:  Stock Number
017-001-00473-1) may be obtained from the Superintendent of Documents,
Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325; telephone
202-783-3238.
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic and foreign, public and
private, non-profit and for-profit organizations such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State and local
governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.
Applications are encouraged from women and minority investigators.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this collaborative study will be through cooperative
agreements (U01).  Although awardees will be primarily responsible for
the conduct of the study, there will be (1) collaboration among the
participating sites and (2) programmatic involvement of NIMH staff
above and beyond the levels required for the program administration of
individual research grants (R01).  Applicants are expected to recommend
a tentative design with specific methods, instruments, psychosocial
treatments, and psychopharmacological protocol.  However, during year
1, successful applicants will negotiate a common design/protocol
through the committee mechanism explained in the RFA.  Applicants must,
therefore, recognize that the final common protocol to be implemented
is likely to differ from that which has been submitted and reviewed.
 
This RFA is a one-time solicitation with a special receipt date of May
19, 1992.  It is anticipated that four to six sites will be funded for
five years starting September 1992.  Future unsolicited competing
continuation applications will compete with all investigator-initiated
applications and be reviewed according to the customary PHS peer review
procedures.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
It is anticipated that up to $2.5 million per year in total costs will
be available for five years to support up to six new cooperative
agreement awards under this announcement during fiscal year 1992,
subject to the availability of funds.  Funding is dependent on the
receipt of a sufficient number of applications of high scientific
merit.  Funding in future years will depend upon annual appropriations.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The objectives include clarification of treatment issues subsumed by
the question:  Under what circumstances and patient characteristics
(e.g., comorbid conditions, family socioeconomic background,
metabolic/nutritional status, neurophysiological/neuropsychological
status, gender, age)do which treatment combinations (specific
medication, behavior therapy, parent training, school-based
intervention), have what impacts (improvement, stasis, deterioration)
on what domains of child functioning (cognitive, academic, behavioral,
physical, peer relations, family relations), for how long (short vs.
long term), to what extent (effect sizes, normal vs. pathological
range), and why (processes underlying change)?  This complex question
easily generates multiple hypotheses to be tested, of which several
examples are listed in the RFA.  Especially emphasized in the study
objectives are the effects of comorbid conditions on treatment
response.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applicants are to use the grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 9/91).
The number and title of this RFA. "Cooperative Agreement for a
Multi-site Treatment Study of ADHD, MH-92-03," must be typed in item
number 2 on the face page of the PHS 398 application form.  Application
kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may be obtained
from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major research
facilities.  If such a source is not available, the following office
may be contacted for the necessary application material:
 
Grants Management Branch
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 7C-05
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4414
 
Applications submitted for the receipt date of May 19, 1992, must be
complete and contain all information needed for initial and Advisory
Council review.  If an application is received after that date, it will
be returned to the applicant.  No subsequent addenda will be accepted
unless specifically requested by the Scientific Review Administrator of
the review committee.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Applications judged to be responsive to the RFA will be evaluated for
scientific and technical merit by a peer review group convened by the
Division of Extramural Activities, NIMH, in accordance with the
standard NIMH peer review procedures.
 
o  The scientific merit and mental health significance of the proposed
research including the adequacy with which the applicant addresses the
objectives and methodological and other issues detailed in the RFA.
 
o  The relevant expertise and qualifications of the Principal
Investigator and other proposed staff/collaborators.
 
o  Documentation of the adequacy of facilities, resources, and subject
pool.
 
o  Appropriateness of the proposed budget and duration/pacing in
relation to the proposed research.
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
Applications will compete for available funds with all other approved
applications responsive to this RFA.  The following will be considered
in making funding decisions:  quality of the application as determined
by peer review; availability of funds; program balance; and relevance
to the objectives of the RFA.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of the "NIMH National Plan for
Research on Child and Adolescent Mental Disorders" from:
 
Information Resources and Inquiries Branch
National Institute of Mental Health
Parklawn Building, Room 15C-05
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4513
 
Potential applicants are encouraged to seek pre-application
consultation (telephone, written, or personal appointment).  Brief
answers, extended consultation, and copies of the RFA may be obtained
from:
 
Child and Adolescent Disorders Research Branch
Division of Clinical Research
National Institute of Mental Health
Parklawn Building, Room 10-104
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone: (301) 443-5944
FAX:  (301) 443-4045
 
Inquiries about grants management and fiscal issues may be directed to:
 
Stephen J. Hudak
Chief, Grants Management Section
National Institute of Mental Health
Parklawn Building, Room 7C-05
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4456
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
Number 93.242.  Awards are made under the authorization of the Public
Health Service (PHS) Act, Title IV, Part A (Public Law 78-410, as
amended by Public Law 99- 158, 42 USC 241 and 285) and administered
under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45
CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental
review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency
review.
 
$$R3 END ************************************************************
 
$$R4 BEGIN GM-92-02 *************************************************
 
INITIATIVES FOR MINORITY STUDENTS:  BRIDGES TO THE FUTURE
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 9, March 6, 1992
 
RFA:  GM-92-02
 
P.T. 44, FF; K.W. 0502000, 0720005
 
National Institute of General Medical Sciences
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  April 1, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  May 12, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) and the
Office of Minority Programs (OMP), National Institutes of Health (NIH),
solicit applications for two new initiatives aimed at increasing the
number of underrepresented minorities entering careers in biomedical
research.  The programs target two different underrepresented minority
student populations, those in terminal Master of Science (M.S.) degree
programs and those in two-year junior or community colleges, since
these have been identified as two key transition points for students
considering research careers.  These initiatives seek to broaden and
expand existing programs and to encourage the development of new and
innovative approaches to improve the academic competitiveness of
underrepresented minority students graduating from these programs,
thereby facilitating their transition into the next stage towards
careers in biomedical research.
 
For purposes of this announcement, underrepresented minority students
are individuals belonging to a particular ethnic or racial group that
has been determined by the grantee institution to be underrepresented
in biomedical or behavioral research.  Nationally, individuals who have
been found to be underrepresented in biomedical or behavioral research
include, but are not limited to, Black Americans, Hispanic Americans,
Native Americans and Pacific Islanders.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Awards under this RFA will use the institutional education project
(R25) grant.  Responsibility for the planning, direction, and execution
of the proposed project will be solely that of the applicant.  The
total project period for applications submitted in response to the
present RFA may not exceed two years.
 
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Future unsolicited competing
applications will not be accepted.
 
Institutions may apply for either or both programs; however, separate
applications for each program are required.  The program must be
identified clearly on the face page of the application in item 1.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
The Fiscal Year 1992 appropriation provides $2,000,000 for these
initiatives.  NIH staff anticipate making six to ten 2-year awards
using multi-year funding.  Requested direct costs are not to exceed
$300,000 for the two-year period.  Indirect costs will be paid at 8
percent of the direct costs minus appropriate exclusions.
 
OBJECTIVES
 
Program #1:  Transition From Master's Degree to Ph.D. Programs
 
This program seeks to promote the expansion and enhancement of existing
transitional activities between those institutions that offer the M.S.
degree as the terminal academic degree in the sciences and that have
significant enrollments of underrepresented minority students and
research universities with doctoral-degree (Ph.D.) programs.  The
objective is to facilitate the transition of minority students into
science Ph.D. programs when they complete the M.S. degrees.  Students
receiving the M.S. degree in one field of science may pursue the Ph.D.
in a different field if the Ph.D. is in an area of science related to
biomedical research.
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic, private and public,
institutions that have existing educational programs aimed at helping
students move from M.S. programs into Ph.D. programs.  The existing
programs need not have been developed specifically to target
underrepresented minority graduates or science majors.  State and local
systems of higher education with existing transitional programs may
also be eligible to apply.  However, applicants from such organizations
should talk with the Grants Management Officer identified at the end of
this announcement about special issues concerning PHS grants to
governments.
 
A program must include a partnership between at least two institutions:
one that offers the M.S. degree as the terminal degree in the sciences
and that has a significant enrollment of underrepresented minorities,
and one research university providing Ph.D. degree programs in areas
relevant to the biomedical sciences.  However, the application may
involve a consortium of several colleges and universities, and may
include several institutions within a single state system.  One
participating institution or a single system of higher education must
be designated as the grantee institution and must submit the
application.  Proposals must include subcontracts or formal
collaborative agreements with all other participating institutions.
 
An institution offering both the M.S. and the Ph.D. degrees may not use
funds from this program for graduates of its own M.S. degree programs
to enter its own Ph.D. programs, even if the student is changing fields
or moving from one department, school, or college to another.  The
program seeks to promote and enhance partnerships BETWEEN institutions.
 
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
 
Collaborative agreements should take the form that best fits the needs
and situations of the institutions involved.  The challenge for the
project director, with the help of the other participants, is to design
an expanded and enhanced partnership that will focus attention and
adequate resources to the M.S. institutions to enhance the academic
competitiveness of their M.S. graduates.
 
The applicant must describe the existing transition program and explain
how it would be altered to meet the needs of this initiative.  The
nature and extent of underrepresented minority student participation
must be thoroughly delineated.  The applicant should also describe the
M.S. institution's success in training M.S. students in the sciences,
including information on the numbers of minority students receiving the
M.S. and data on subsequent careers or education of their graduates.
 
Institutions with NIH National Research Service Award (NRSA)
institutional training grants and/or Minority Biomedical Research
Support (MBRS) Grants must define the relationship between those
programs and this transition program.  They must delineate how this
initiative will influence their partnerships with the other
participants and the manner in which underrepresented minority graduate
students will interact with the NRSA and/or MBRS program(s).
 
In addition, modifications to existing "bridge" programs must be
described with special attention to the needs and special requirements
of the underrepresented minority student body.  They may include, but
are not limited to, the following elements:
 
o  providing research opportunities for M.S. students at the Ph.D.
institution or in private industrial laboratories; students may receive
compensation for these activities;
 
o  establishing a mentoring program for M.S. students with faculty at
the Ph.D. institution;
 
o  strengthening the research capability of the M.S.-granting college
(e.g., by faculty research collaborations, joint seminar programs);
 
o  enhancing the curriculum of the M.S. institution (e.g., special
courses, seminars);
 
o  students from either institution taking classes at the other
institution;
 
o  guaranteeing acceptance into the participating Ph.D. program(s) for
students completing the M.S. program;
 
o  academic counseling for M.S. students, with a particular focus on
encouraging students to pursue research careers in the biomedical
sciences.
 
It is an expectation of NIGMS and OMP that students who enter Ph.D.
programs as a result of this enhancement program will receive support,
if needed, while progressing satisfactorily in Ph.D. research training
programs.  Applicants should describe the type(s) of support that would
be available to such students.
 
Additional requirements are detailed below.
 
Program #2:  Transition From Two-year Colleges to Institutions Awarding
the Baccalaureate Degree
 
This program is designed to refine and extend existing "bridge"
programs that facilitate the transfer of students at two-year colleges
with significant enrollments of underrepresented minority students into
colleges with baccalaureate degree programs in the sciences.  The goal
is to increase the number of underrepresented minority students who
graduate with Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) degrees in the
sciences related to biomedicine.
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic, private and public,
institutions with existing educational programs aimed at helping
students move from two-year colleges into B.S. degree programs,
although the existing programs need not specifically target
underrepresented minorities or science majors.  State and local systems
of higher education with existing transitional programs may also be
eligible to apply.  However, applicants from such organizations should
talk with the Grants Management Officer identified at the end of this
announcement about special issues concerning PHS grants to governments.
 
Programs must include at least two institutions:  one college or
university offering the B.S. degree (or equivalent) in areas of science
relevant to biomedical research, and one two-year institution with a
significant enrollment of underrepresented minority students.  However,
the program may include a consortium of several two-year and
baccalaureate institutions, and may include several institutions within
a single state system.  One baccalaureate-granting institution or a
single system of higher education must be designated as the grantee
institution and must submit the application.  Proposals must include
formal collaborative agreements or subcontracts with all other
participating institutions.
 
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
 
Collaborative agreements should foster partnerships that best fit the
needs and situations of the institutions involved.  The challenge for
the program director, with the help of the other participants, is to
design a program that focuses attention and adequate resources to help
the two-year institution enhance the academic competitiveness of its
graduates.
 
The application must include a description of the existing transition
program and describe how the program will be modified to accommodate
the goals of this initiative.  The nature and extent of
underrepresented minority student participation must be thoroughly
delineated.  Colleges with NIH funding through the Minority Biomedical
Research Support (MBRS) and/or the Minority Access to Research Career
(MARC) programs must define the relationship between those programs and
this transition program.  They must delineate how this enhancement
program will influence their partnerships with the other participants
and the manner in which underrepresented minority students in the
transition program will interact with the MBRS and/or MARC programs.
 
In addition, these existing "bridge" programs must be modified as
needed to meet the special requirements of underrepresented minority
students interested in science.  They may include, but are not limited
to, the following elements:
 
o  providing laboratory research experiences at the baccalaureate
institution for students enrolled in the two-year institution; students
may receive compensation for these activities;
 
o  establishing a mentoring program with faculty at the baccalaureate
institution;
 
o  providing research opportunities at the baccalaureate institution
for faculty of the two-year college;
 
o  enriching the curriculum at the two-year institution (e.g., special
science courses);
 
o  enabling students from the two-year institution to take courses
and/or participate in seminar programs at the baccalaureate college;
 
o  developing visiting lectureships at the two-year college by science
faculty from the baccalaureate institution;
 
o  developing courses at the two-year college jointly taught by faculty
of both institutions;
 
o  guaranteeing acceptance as juniors into the participating
baccalaureate program(s) for students who participated successfully in
the enhancement program;
 
o  academic counseling (e.g., guidance in course selection, tracking
and providing assistance to students who express and interest or show
special aptitude for science);
 
o  additional enrichment activities, such as tutoring, to enhance the
student's transition to the baccalaureate college;
 
o  other innovative plans to coordinate these programs.
 
Additional requirements are detailed below.
 
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR BOTH PROGRAMS
 
Allowable Costs
 
If appropriate, the budget request may be divided into two phases: a
planning phase with its attendant budget for the enhancement,
expansion, and modification of the existing partnership program; and an
implementation phase with its attendant budget.  The planning phase
costs should be minimal and may include such items as compensation for
release time for faculty and administrators for each of the
participating institutions and travel between the participating
institutions.  This phase of the project should not exceed a period of
one year.  The implementation phase may include the costs of
administering and coordinating the partnership programs within and
between each of the participants.  Compensation for student
participation in research experiences may take the form of salaries,
fringe benefits and/or tuition waivers for students and salary
compensation for release time for faculty participating in research
projects.  Costs related to curriculum enhancement may also be
requested.
 
Reporting Requirements
 
A progress report will be required at the end of the planning phase (if
any) or at the end of the first year, whichever is shorter.  A final
report will be required 90 days after the termination date of the award
and must include a Statement of Appointment Form (form 2271) for each
student participant and a report of the educational benefits to each
student of the partnership program.
 
During the planning phase or first year of the award, program directors
should develop plans for following the subsequent careers and
educational achievements of the participating students, which will be
used as part of the evaluation of the effectiveness of these
initiatives.  The progress report should include a description of these
plans.
 
During or after the project period, program directors will be asked to
share information and experiences and help evaluate the effectiveness
of the programs.  OMP and/or NIGMS may convene a meeting of program
directors to discuss these programs.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are requested to submit by April 1, 1992, a
letter of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed
plan, the name, address, and telephone number of the program director,
the identities of other key personnel and participating institutions,
and the number and title of the RFA.  Applicants should indicate the
specific program(s) (Program 1:  M.S. to Ph.D. Transition or Program 2:
Two-year to Four-year Transition) to which they intend to apply.
Although a letter of intent is not required, is not binding, and does
not enter into the review of subsequent applications, the information
that it contains is helpful in planning for the review of applications.
It allows NIH staff to estimate the potential review workload and to
avoid conflict of interest in the review.
 
The letter of intent is to be sent to:
 
Americo Rivera, Jr., Ph.D.
National Institute of General Medical Sciences
Westwood Building, Room 909
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7001
FAX:  (301) 402-0019
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 9/91) is to be used
in applying for these grants.  These forms are available at most
institutional business offices; from the Office of Grants Inquiries,
Division of Research Grants, NIH, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 449,
Bethesda, MD 20892, telephone (301) 496-7441; and from the NIGMS
program administrator named below.
 
The RFA label in the PHS 398 application form must be affixed to the
bottom of the face page of the application.  Failure to use this label
could result in delayed processing of the application such that it may
not reach the review committee in time for review.  In addition, the
RFA number and title must be typed on line 2A of the face page form,
the "YES" box must be marked, and "R25" typed in 2B.
 
Submit a signed, typewritten original of the application, including the
Checklist, and three photocopies of the signed application in one
package to:
 
DIVISION OF RESEARCH GRANTS
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
At the time of submission, two additional copies of the application
must also be sent to Dr. Americo Rivera, Jr. at the address given
below.
 
Applications must be received by May 12, 1992.  Applications arriving
after that date will be returned to the applicant.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed by NIH program staff.
Incomplete and/or unresponsive applications will be returned to the
applicant without further consideration.  Those applications that are
complete and responsive will be evaluated in accordance with the
criteria stated below for scientific and technical merit by appropriate
peer review groups in the Division of Research Grants (DRG).  The
second level of review will be provided by the National Advisory
General Medical Sciences Council.
 
Review criteria:
 
o  qualifications and experience of the Principal Investigator and
staff to carry out the proposed program;
 
o  appropriateness of the existing transition program and of the plans
to modify or expand this program to meet the goals of the solicitation;
 
o  availability of significant numbers of underrepresented minority
students in the participating science department(s) who are interested
in studying further in biomedical and health-related fields;
 
o  evidence of underrepresented minority students progressing to higher
education in the sciences;
 
o  budget and cost-effectiveness of the project including
appropriateness to the scope of the program, benefit to the students,
number of students involved, and responsible and prudent senior
personnel costs;
 
o  evidence of institutional commitment, for each institution, and
strength of the collaborative efforts between institutions to foster
professional development of underrepresented minority faculty and to
train underrepresented minority students in the biomedical sciences;
 
o  appropriateness of the administrative plan for managing the proposed
program, including adequacy of space and other institutional resources;
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
The anticipated date of award is September 30, 1992.  Award decisions
will be based on the technical merit of the applications based on the
review criteria, the geographical distribution of the awardee
institutions, and diversity of underrepresented minority student
participants.  Awards can be made only to institutions with financial
management systems and management capabilities that are acceptable
under PHS policy.  Awards will be administered under the PHS Grants
Policy Statement.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning this RFA are encouraged.
The opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from potential
applicants is welcome.
 
Direct inquiries regarding programmatic issues to the program
administrator:
 
Americo Rivera, Jr., Ph.D.
National Institute of General Medical Sciences
Westwood Building, Room 909
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7001
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Ms. Carol Tippery
Grants Management Officer
National Institute of General Medical Sciences
Westwood Building, Room 953
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7746
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
Awards are authorized under the Public Health Service Act, Title IV,
Part A, (Sections 301 and 405, as amended, 42 USC 241 and 284) and
administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR
52, 45 CFR Part 74 and 45 CFR Part 92.  This program is not subject to
the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or
Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R4 END ************************************************************
 
                          ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-92-45 *************************************************
 
NOVEL NON-IONIZING RADIATION TECHNOLOGIES FOR BREAST CANCER IMAGING
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 9, March 6, 1992
 
PA NUMBER:  PA-92-45
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0706030, 0715035, 0735000, 0607024
 
National Cancer Institute
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) through the Diagnostic Imaging
Research Branch (DIRB) of the Radiation Research Program seeks grant
applications to conduct multidisciplinary research in the area of novel
non-X-ray technology development and evaluation for improved breast
cancer imaging.  This Program Announcement encompasses a full range of
studies from basic technology and instrumentation development through
pre-clinical and clinical evaluation.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Program
Announcement, Novel Non-Ionizing Radiation Technologies for Breast
Cancer Imaging, is related to the priority area of cancer.  Potential
applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00474-0, or Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-
00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing
Office, Washington, DC  20402-9325 (telephone 202- 783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by foreign and domestic, public and
private, nonprofit and for-profit organizations such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State and local
governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal Government. Women and
minority investigators are encouraged to apply.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
This program will be supported by the individual research grant (R01)
and the First Independent Research and Transition (FIRST) Award
mechanisms.  Awards will be administered in accordance with the Public
Health Service Policy as described in the PHS Grant Policy Statement,
DHHS Publication No. (OASH) 90-50,000 revised October 1, 1990.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The goal of this Program Announcement is to stimulate development and
validation of novel non-ionizing radiation technologies and imaging
methodologies for the improved diagnosis and characterization of breast
cancer.
 
Background
 
Current data indicate that conventional mammography is a mature imaging
technology producing high-quality images in the majority of patients.
Indeed, conventional mammography has been shown to be an accepted
problem-solving and an effective screening tool in older women (age
category over 50 years), resulting in a 30 percent mortality reduction
in these patients.  However, recent data indicate that novel
technologies, such as conventional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and
ultrasound, may provide important additional diagnostic information if
the detected lesions need to be characterized (e.g., cystic vs. solid
mass) and/or in younger women and patients with radiodense breast
tissue.  Further clinical studies are required to define the
comparative role and analyze the cost-effectiveness of MRI and
ultrasound in breast cancer diagnosis and characterization.
 
Dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI has been shown to be a promising
adjunctive diagnostic tool in the following clinical situations:  (1)
conventional mammography and physical examination fail to provide
diagnosis; (2) the differentiation of dysplasia vs. cancer; (3) dense
breast; and (4) small lesions.
 
Advanced MRI and ultrasound technologies appear to have an important
potential for quantitative characterization of tumor biology.  Novel
ultrasound technologies, such as high frequency systems, modern pulse
echo/color flow, and 2D/3D imaging, may improve image quality and
provide improved anatomic and physiologic information.  Novel MR
techniques, such as magnetization transfer approach,
diffusion/perfusion imaging, magnetic resonance spectroscopy and
electron spin resonance, will provide additional quantitative
biochemical, biophysical, and physiologic parameters for breast cancer
characterization in order to optimize treatment planning.
 
Further, a number of novel imaging techniques (e.g., optical,
microwave, thermal) are currently under development.  Indeed, recent
reports indicate that the ballistic optical imaging technique, while
highly experimental at this stage, can detect structures in vitro as
small as 200 microns.  Further studies are required to advance this
technology for in vivo use.
 
STUDY POPULATIONS
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis must be placed on the need for
inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders and
conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group, together with a rationale for
its choice.  In addition, gender and racial/ethnic issues should be
addressed in developing a research design and sample size appropriate
for the scientific objectives of the study.  This information must be
included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2, A-D of the Research Plan AND
summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects.
 
Applicants are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of including
the broadest possible representation of minority groups.  However, NIH
recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in all research
projects to include representation of the full array of United States
racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native Americans [including
American Indians or Alaskan Natives], Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks,
Hispanics).  The rationale for studies on single minority population
groups should be provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research is defined as human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including not but limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also
apply.  Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues
cannot be identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However,
every effort should be made to include human tissues from women and
racial/ethnic minorities when it is important to apply the results of
the study broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application,
the application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants
or cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 (revised 9/91) is to be
used in responding to this Program Announcement.  These forms are
available at most institutional business offices and from the Office of
Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of
Health, Room 449, Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, MD
20892, telephone (301) 496-7441.
 
The Program Announcement number and title must be typed on line 2 of
the face page of the application form.
 
Submit a signed, typewritten original of the application, including the
Checklist, and five signed, exact photocopies in one package to the
address below. The photocopies must be clear and single sided.
 
DIVISION OF RESEARCH GRANTS
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Applications will be accepted on the standard receipt dates for new
applications:  October 1, February 1 and June 1.  If the application
submitted in response to this program announcement is substantially
similar to a grant application already submitted to the NIH for review,
but has not yet been reviewed, the applicant will be asked to withdraw
either the pending application or the new one.  Simultaneous submission
of identical applications will not be allowed, nor will essentially
identical applications be reviewed by different review committees.
Therefore, an application cannot be submitted in response to this
announcement that is essentially identical to one that has already been
reviewed.  This does not preclude the submission of substantial
revisions of applications already reviewed, but such applications must
include an introduction addressing the previous critique.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications will be assigned on the basis of established Public Health
Service referral guidelines.  Applications will be reviewed for
scientific and technical merit by study sections of the Division of
Research Grants, NIH, in accordance with the standard NIH peer review
procedures. Following scientific-technical review, the applications
will receive a second-level review by the appropriate national advisory
council.
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
Applications will compete for available funds with all other approved
applications.  The following will be considered in making funding
decisions:
 
o Quality of the proposed project as determined by peer review
o Availability of funds
o Program balance among research areas of the announcement
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquires concerning the objectives and scope of
this Program Announcement and inquiries about whether or not specific
proposed research would be responsive are encouraged and are to be
directed to:
 
Faina Shtern, M.D.
Chief, Diagnostic Imaging Research Branch
Radiation Research Program
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Suite 800
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9531
 
The Program Director welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues or
questions from potential applicants.
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Marian F. Focke
Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South 242
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7800, ext. 46
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.395, Cancer Treatment Research.  Awards are made under
authorization of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A.
(Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and
285), and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal
Regulations 42 CFR 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject
to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372
or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$P1 END ************************************************************
 
$$P2 BEGIN PA-92-46 *************************************************
 
RESEARCH ON THE PREVENTION OF ALCOHOL ABUSE AMONG YOUTH
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 9, March 6, 1992
 
PA NUMBER:  PA-92-46
 
P.T. 34, AA; K.W. 0404003, 0745027
 
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
 
THE PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT DESCRIBED IN THIS NOTICE CONTAINS ESSENTIAL
INFORMATION FOR THE PREPARATION OF AN APPLICATION.  POTENTIAL
APPLICANTS MAY OBTAIN THE PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE CONTACT NAMED
IN INQUIRIES BELOW.
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) wishes
to encourage new and creative research on the development and testing
of strategies to prevent alcohol abuse among youth including children,
adolescents, and young adults.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This program
announcement, Research on the Prevention of Alcohol Abuse Among Youth,
is related to the priority areas of decreasing morbidity and mortality
associated with the drinking of alcohol by adolescents and young
adults.  Prevention strategies focus on delaying the age of initiation
for alcohol use among adolescents; reducing the incidence and
prevalence of alcohol abuse among youth; and testing interventions that
will result in a reduction in motor vehicle crashes and fatalities
associated with alcohol use.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of
"Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0, or
Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent
of Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325
(Telephone:  202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic and foreign non-profit and
for-profit organizations, public and private, such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local governments,
and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.  Women and minority
investigators are encouraged to apply.
 
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
 
Research support may be requested through applications for a research
grant (R01), small grant (R03), and First Independent Research Support
and Transition (FIRST) Award (R29).  Specialized announcements for the
FIRST Award program (R29) and the small grant program (R03) are
available from the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug
Information (NCADI), P.O. Box 2345, Rockville, MD 20852, telephone
(301) 468-2600.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
Although other ideas are welcome, the NIAAA is especially interested in
grant applications directed at norm-setting and norm-enforcement by
parents and families, primary-care physicians and their staffs, youth
peer groups, elementary and secondary public and private schools and/or
school systems, colleges and universities, and/or other community
organizations that have direct contact with children, adolescents, and
young adults.  Parents, schools, police, and other community groups set
and enforce norms concerning alcohol use by youth.  In addition, peer
groups set and enforce drinking norms in informal settings.  This
announcement encourages research that examines links between the social
setting and enforcement of norms by peer groups, parents and families,
educational and legal institutions, and community organizations to
prevent abusive drinking by youth. Applications that propose
interventions targeted toward combinations of these groups may also be
submitted.
 
STUDY POPULATIONS
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF ADAMHA
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
For projects involving clinical research, ADAMHA requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included or
adequately represented in the study populations for clinical studies,
a specific justification for this exclusion or inadequate
representation must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to ADAMHA are required
to address these policies.  ADAMHA funding components will not award
grants that do not comply with these policies.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applicants are to use the grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 9/91).
The number and title of this program announcement, "PA-92-46, Research
on the Prevention of Alcohol Abuse Among Youth," must be typed in line
2 on the face page of the PHS 398 application form.
 
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may be
obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major research
facilities.  If such a source is not available, the following office
may be contacted for the necessary application material:
 
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
P.O. Box 2345
Rockville, MD  20852
Telephone:  (301) 468-2600
 
The signed original and five permanent, legible copies of the completed
application must be submitted to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for
receipt of applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.
Applications received under this announcement will be assigned to an
Initial Review Group (IRG) in accordance with established PHS Referral
Guidelines.  The IRG, consisting primarily of non-Federal scientific
and technical experts, will review the applications for scientific and
technical merit.  Notification of the review recommendations will be
sent to the applicant after the initial review.  Applications will
receive a second-level review by an appropriate national advisory
council.  Only applications recommended by the Council may be
considered for funding.
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
Applications recommended by a national advisory council will be
considered for funding on the basis of overall scientific and technical
merit of the research as determined by peer review, program needs and
balance, and availability of funds.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Potential applicants are encouraged to seek preapplication consultation
by contacting the program official below.  Requests for copies of the
complete program announcement may be directed to:
 
Phyllis A. Langton, Ph.D.
Prevention Research Scientist
Prevention Research Branch
Division of Clinical and Prevention Research
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 13C-23
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-1677
 
Inquiries relating to fiscal matters may be directed to:
 
Elsie Fleming
Grants Management Branch
Office of Planning and Resource Management
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Parklawn Building, Room 16-86
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance, No. 93.273.  Awards are made under the authority of
Sections 301 and 510 of the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42
USC 241 and 290bb).  Federal regulations at 42 CFR Part 52, "Grants for
Research Projects," and Title 45 CFR Parts 74 and 92, generic
requirements concerning the administration of grants, are applicable to
these awards.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental
review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency
review.
 
$$P2 END ************************************************************
 
$$P3 BEGIN PA-92-47 *************************************************
 
NEUROFIBROMATOSIS
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 9, March 6, 1992
 
PA NUMBER:  PA-92-47
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 1002004, 1002058, 0765035, 0755020
 
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
National Cancer Institute
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) and
the National Cancer Institute (NCI) encourage the submission of
research grant applications in basic science and clinical
investigations concerning all aspects of neurofibromatosis including
molecular genetics, cell biology, pathophysiology, development of new
animal models, diagnosis, and treatment.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priorities.  This program
announcement, Neurofibromatosis, is related to the priority areas of
chronic disabling conditions and cancer.  Potential applicants may
obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  No.
017-001-474-0, or Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through
the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC  20402-9325 (telephone:  202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by foreign and domestic, for-profit and
non-profit organizations, public and private, such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State and local
governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.
Applications from minority individuals and women are encouraged.
However, foreign institutions are not eligible to apply for the First
Independent Research Support and Transition (FIRST) Award (R29).
 
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
 
Applicants may use the Research Project Grant (R01), Research Program
Project (P01), Research Center Grant (P50), and FIRST Award (R29).
Prospective applicants are encouraged to communicate with the NINDS and
NCI program contacts listed at the end of the announcement regarding
the appropriate funding mechanism.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
Neurofibromatosis 1 (NF1), or von Recklinghausen's disease, is an
autosomal dominant inherited disorder affecting the central and
peripheral nervous system.  Its prevalence is about 1 in 4,000.  It is
characterized by cafe au lait spots of the skin, neurofibromas,
schwannomas, intracranial tumors, Lisch nodules, and other associated
lesions.
 
The NF1 gene on chromosome 17 has been cloned.  Further studies are
needed to characterize its gene product.  The normal NF1 gene product
may be an anti-oncogene that suppresses the ras oncogene.  When
disinhibited by the mutation of the NF1 gene, the ras oncogene may
cause tumor formation.
 
At the present time, molecular genetic screening is of limited
usefulness in counseling and clinical management of NF1.  It requires
familial markers (not available for all families or for sporadic
cases), and it cannot predict the rate or degree of progression of the
disorder in a given diagnosed individual.
 
Neurofibromatosis 2 (NF2), or bilateral acoustic neurofibromatosis, is
an autosomal dominant disorder associated with vestibular schwannomas
and other schwannomas, meningiomas, ependymomas, gliomas, and posterior
subcapsular cataracts.  Its prevalence is about 1 in 40,000.
 
The NF2 gene has been mapped to chromosome 22 in one published family.
The gene has not yet been isolated.  It is believed to normally
function as a tumor suppressor gene.
 
Multidisciplinary and collaborative studies of neurofibromatosis are
encouraged.  Examples are given below, but applications are not limited
to these areas of research:
 
o  Improvement of diagnostic criteria and tests for use in genetic
counseling and clinical management of NF1, NF2, and atypical or variant
NF.
 
o  Development of transgenic animal models to study the pathogenesis of
NF1, NF2, and associated tumors.
 
o  Studies to explain the variability of clinical expression of NF1 and
NF2.  Can genotype-phenotype correlations be made in an individual
patient?  Is the phenotype modulated by modifying genes?  Does the
expression of these disorders in a given individual depend not only on
the precise genetic defect but also on the individual's sex, on the
parent from whom the gene defect was inherited, or on other factors?