Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(35) 09/20/91 - P1/2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 91 11:53 EST

Hi Paul,
The current NIH Guide has arrived.  It will be forwarded in 3 parts.
Please post this one to the NIH Listserver as:
NIHGUIDE1.910920.
Thanks,
                   M. G. Broaddus
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19910920 V20N35 P1O2 ************************************
X-comment: RFAs described: NS-92-01
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 20, No. 35 - September 20, 1991
 
$$INDEX BEGIN ********************************************************
 
                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$INDEX R1 ***********************************************************
 
CAENORHABDITIS GENETICS CENTER (RFP NIH-RR-91-17)
National Center for Research Resources
Index:  RESEARCH RESOURCES
 
$$INDEX R2 ***********************************************************
 
STUDIES ON THE FEASIBILITY OF A CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AUDITORY
PROSTHESIS (RFP NIH-NIDCD-91-03)
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Index:  DEAFNESS, COMMUNICATIONS DISORDERS
 
$$INDEX R3 ***********************************************************
 
FEASIBILITY GRANTS FOR BRAIN-TUMOR RESEARCH CENTERS (RFA NS-92-01)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE
 
                      ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$INDEX P1 ***********************************************************
 
INDIVIDUAL NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARDS IN ALLERGY, IMMUNOLOGY,
TRANSPLANTATION, INFECTIOUS DISEASES AND AIDS (PA-91-95)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
 
$$INDEX P2 ***********************************************************
 
REDUCTION OF CANCER RISK BEHAVIORS IN HIGH-RISK YOUTH (PA-91-96)
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER
 
$$INDEX P3 ***********************************************************
 
EXPLORATORY/DEVELOPMENTAL GRANTS FOR RESEARCH ON THE ETIOLOGY OF
ALCOHOLISM (PA-91-97)
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Index:  ALCOHOL ABUSE, ALCOHOLISM
 
$$INDEX P4 ***********************************************************
 
EXPLORATORY/DEVELOPMENTAL GRANTS FOR ALCOHOLISM TREATMENT ASSESSMENT
RESEARCH (PA-91-98)
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Index:  ALCOHOL ABUSE, ALCOHOLISM
 
$$INDEX P5 ***********************************************************
 
STUDIES ON OBESITY (PA-91-99)
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
National Cancer Institute
National Institute on Aging
National Center for Nursing Research
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES; HEART, LUNG,
BLOOD; CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT; CANCER; AGING; NURSING;
NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE; DEAFNESS, COMMUNICATIONS DISORDERS;
MENTAL HEALTH
 
$$INDEX END **********************************************************
 
                    NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$R1 BEGIN NIH-RR-91-17 **********************************************
 
CAENORHABDITIS GENETICS CENTER
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-RR-91-17
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0780000, 1002019
 
National Center for Research Resources
 
The National Center for Research Resources, National Institutes of
Health, requires the services of a contractor for acquisition,
storage, characterization, and distribution of wild-type and mutant
nematodes, primarily of the species Caenorhabditis elegans.  In
addition, the contractor shall provide services of maintaining and
distributing the genetic map of C. elegans, relevant publications,
and the development and communication of uniform genetic terminology
for this species.  A five-year, cost-reimbursement type contract is
anticipated.  The solicitation is scheduled for release on or about
September 20, 1991 and proposals will be due on or about November 5,
1991.  All responsible sources may submit a proposal that will be
considered.
 
Requests for the Request for Proposal (RFP) must be directed to:
 
John P. DeCenzo
Research Contracts Branch
Division of Contracts and Grants
Office of the Director
National Institutes of Health
Building 31, Room 1B44
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
$$R1 END *************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN NIH-NIDCD-91-03 *******************************************
 
STUDIES ON THE FEASIBILITY OF A CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AUDITORY
PROSTHESIS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NIDCD-91-03
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705055, 0715050, 0740030
 
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
 
The National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
(NIDCD), NIH, announces the availability of a Request for Proposals
(RFP) for a study of the feasibility of a central nervous system
auditory prosthesis based on microstimulation of the cochlear
nucleus.  The cochlear implant is not a viable option for providing
auditory information to patients with severe sensorineural hearing
loss due to poor eighth nerve survival.  Instead, investigators have
implanted electrodes on the surface of the cochlear nucleus in over
20 patients with bilateral acoustic neuromas.  In these patients the
electrodes were connected to speech processors similar to those used
in cochlear implants.  Most of the patients found that the cochlear
nucleus implants provided essentially the same limited information
that single channel cochlear implants provide patients with good
auditory nerve survival.
 
Using speech processors custom designed for cochlear nucleus
implants, rather than for cochlear implants, deaf subjects have
demonstrated substantial improvement in auditory recognition test
scores and usefulness of their devices for speech recognition.
However, the benefits are still considerably less than those received
by many multichannel cochlear implant users.
 
The NIDCD has been supporting, under contract, a study of the
feasibility of a multichannel auditory prosthesis based on
microstimulation of the ventral cochlear nucleus with penetrating
microelectrodes.  The results to date have indicated that practical
surgical approaches exist and that microelectrodes can be placed and
maintained in the cochlear nucleus without excessive neural damage.
There is preliminary evidence that the cochlear nucleus can tolerate
chronic electrical stimulation through these microelectrodes.
However, questions still exist about whether or not multiple
microelectrodes can be accurately placed into the ventral cochlear
nucleus, how closely they can be spaced without producing excessive
tissue damage, and the long-term positional stability of an array of
such electrodes.  These questions must be answered in animals before
feasibility studies are expanded to human testing.
 
This requirement represents a recompetition of work currently being
performed under a contract at the Huntington Medical Research
Institutes, Contract No. NO1-DC-9-2402.  It is expected that the
incumbent contractor will recompete.
 
A single award will be made for a performance period of no more than
three years.
 
The contractor will be required to come to Bethesda yearly to present
progress on their work at the Neural Prosthesis Workshop sponsored by
the Neural Prosthesis Program.
 
This is not a Request for Proposals (RFP).  RFP No. NIH-NIDCD- 91-03
will be issued on or about October 1, 1991, with responses due on or
about December 2, 1991.  To receive a copy of the RFP, submit a
written request to the following address, and supply two
self-addressed mailing labels:
 
Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
Attention:  RFP No. NIH-NIDCD-91-03
 
All responsible sources may submit a proposal that will be considered
by the Government.
 
$$R2 END *************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN NS-92-01 FULL-TEXT ****************************************
 
FEASIBILITY GRANTS FOR BRAIN-TUMOR RESEARCH CENTERS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  NS-92-01
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705010, 0715035, 1002030, 0710085, 0785120, 0745020
 
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  November 15, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  January 15, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
announces the availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) for
feasibility (exploratory) grants for the development of new
brain-tumor research centers.  The major purpose of the RFA is to
develop additional research capabilities that will lead to improved
diagnosis and management of patients with brain tumors and to foster
an environment that would enhance the research skills of
investigators in specialized methods relevant to the study of brain
tumors.

 
 
EXPERTISE AND ELIGIBILITY
 
The Center Director or Principal Investigator must be active in a
discipline related to the study and (or) treatment of brain tumors,
such as neuro-oncology, neurosurgery, neurology, neurobiology,
tumor-cell biology, immunology, neurophysiology, neuroanatomy,
neuroradiology, radiation oncology, or neuropharmacology, and have
demonstrated the potential for developing and directing a research
program.  Interrelated biomedical research projects included in the
interdisciplinary research centers should be conducted by scientists
who represent a variety of disciplines within basic, applied, and
clinical science and who will communicate with each other so that new
scientific leads may be readily developed and effectively utilized by
others.  For purposes of planning, it is important to recognize that
the content of the individual components of a research center is
critical.  The research center program must be organized around a
central research theme and must encompass a sufficient number of
scientifically meritorious research activities (from a minimum of
three to five or more) to permit an effective collaborative effort
among the participating investigators.
 
To be eligible for competition under this RFA, applicants must
document the existence of, or potential for, ongoing basic, applied,
and clinical research related to brain tumors; research resources in
the encompassing fields of neuro-oncology and the neurological
sciences; clinical facilities that receive and track adequate numbers
and types of patients who have brain tumors; cooperation among
investigators within the represented disciplines so that scientific
leads may be effectively implemented; and a plan for the further
development of individual investigators, fellows, or clinicians in
specialized techniques or procedures relevant to research on brain
tumors.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations. If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided. Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the exploratory
(feasibility) grant (P20).  These feasibility grants will be awarded
for up to three years (not renewable) and may not exceed annual
direct costs of $250,000 for each of three years.  The NINDS expects
to make up to eight awards for exploratory grants depending upon
availability of funds.
 
NOTE:  This RFA specifically invites applications for feasibility
grants only.  Applicants who are beyond the feasibility stage,
eligible for center status, for clinical research centers are welcome
to apply by submitting an application for any of the three annual
receipt dates (February 1, June 1, and October 1). Such applications
must conform to the application format as described in the NINDS
pamphlet, "Application Guidelines: Program Project and Clinical
Research Center Grants" (revised October 1989), that may be obtained
from the individual to whom inquiries and letters of intent are
directed (address below).
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Upon receipt and referral by the Division of Research Grants (DRG),
applications will be reviewed by NINDS staff to determine
programmatic responsiveness to this RFA.  Applications judged
unresponsive will be returned to the applicant.  All applications
that are complete and responsive may be subjected to a triage by an
NINDS review group to determine relative scientific merit among the
applications.  The NINDS will administratively withdraw those
applications judged to be noncompetitive for award.  Those
applications judged to be competitive for award will be further
reviewed for scientific and technical merit by a peer review group
convened by the NINDS.  No site visits will be made.  A second level
of review will be by the National Advisory Neurological Disorders and
Stroke Council.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Letter of Intent.  The NINDS urges applicants to submit a letter of
intent including the name and address of the Principal Investigator,
names and addresses of coinvestigators responsible for each project
within the center, descriptive titles of individual projects and
required components, and identification of collaborating
institutions.  A letter of intent is not binding, does not enter into
the review of a subsequent application, and is not a precondition for
an award.
 
Format of Applications.  All applicants must use form PHS 398
(revised 10/88).  Applicants must use the format as described in the
NINDS brochure "Application Guidelines: Program Project and Clinical
Research Center Grants" (revised 10/89), that may be obtained from
Dr. George N. Eaves at the address below.  All applications must be
received by January 15, 1992.  An application not received by this
date will be ineligible for consideration.  Awards will be made on or
before August 1, 1992.
 
INQUIRIES
 
For a copy of the complete RFA, including review criteria and
application instructions, contact:
 
Dr. George N. Eaves
Deputy Director
Division of Stroke and Trauma
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Federal Building, Room 8A13
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-4226

For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
King P. Bond, Jr.
Grants Management Specialist
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Federal Building, Room 1004
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9203
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
The program to which the intended grants relate is described in the
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, entry numbers 93.853,
Clinical Research Related Neurological Disorders and 93.854,
Biological Basis Research in the Neurosciences.  Grants will be
awarded under the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title
IV, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and
administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR
Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or
Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R3 END *************************************************************
 
                  ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-91-95 **************************************************
 
INDIVIDUAL NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARDS IN ALLERGY, IMMUNOLOGY,
TRANSPLANTATION, INFECTIOUS DISEASES AND AIDS
 
PA:  PA-91-95
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 0715110, 0710070, 0715125, 0710125
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
BACKGROUND AND SCOPE
 
The intent of this program announcement is to re-emphasize the
commitment of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious
Diseases (NIAID) to provide support via National Research Service
Awards (NRSA) to increase the number of biomedical investigators who
are conducting high-quality research in the areas of allergy,
immunology, transplantation, infectious diseases, and AIDS.  The
NIAID encourages all individuals, and especially underrepresented
minorities and women, to submit applications.
 
Major advances in basic and clinical science coupled with the
advanced state of development of basic technology make it imperative
to begin applying this new information to clinically based research.
Significant needs exist for individuals, particularly those with
advanced clinical degrees, to be trained in specific areas of
programmatic importance to scientific divisions within the NIAID:
the Division of Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (DAIDS), the
Division of Allergy, Immunology and Transplantation (DAIT) and the
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (DMID).  It is the
specific objective of this Program Announcement to promote clinical
and basic research training in selected emphasis areas in infectious
diseases, immunology, and AIDS for physicians with appropriate
backgrounds and for Ph.D.'s from relevant disciplines who wish to do
research in these areas.
 
Division of Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (DAIDS)
 
o   Retroviral Immunopathology.  Although there are skilled
physicians working with AIDS patients and experienced molecular
biologists performing research with the HIV or related viruses, there
is a need for clinical researchers (M.D.'s or Ph.D.'s) to perform
research on the immunopathogenesis of the HIV. The emphasis of this
initiative is to support investigators who perform laboratory studies
at the molecular level on patient samples and basic researchers
(retrovirologists) to perform clinical research with the ultimate
goal of elucidating the immunopathogenesis of AIDS.  Examples of
research areas that are encouraged include T cell depletion, viral
replication and production, properties of viral latency, immune
responses to HIV infection, and genetic variation of HIV within a
patient population.
 
Division of Allergy, Immunology and Transplantation (DAIT)
 
o   Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD).  Recent advances in our
knowledge of mucosal immunity and IBD have led to the conclusion that
immune mechanisms are major components in the pathogenesis and
evolution of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.  Vigorous
research is needed in the characterization of the cellular and
molecular components of the immune mediated mechanisms involved in
the development of these conditions.  Areas of specific interest
include the regulation of the responses by immunomodulators,
identification of the antigens involved in the initiation and
recurrence of IBD, characterization of intra-epithelial T cells and
their specificity repertoire, analysis of activation of mucosal
immunocytes, and development of animal models of the disease.
 
o   Immunologic Skin Diseases.  Autoimmune mechanisms and
immuno-inflammatory components appear to play central roles in the
development of numerous skin disorders including atopic dermatitis,
allergic contact dermatitis and angioedema.  The mechanisms
underlying the basic immunologic processes and immunopathology of
these diseases are incompletely understood, although some advances
have been made such as the results that have been recently reported
on the striking effects of immuno-suppression in the treatment of
psoriasis.  Basic training in immunology would allow dermatologists
and dermatopathologists to better understand the pathogenesis of many
skin diseases, and would facilitate the development of new, improved
immuno-modulatory therapies.
 
o   Immunologic Eye Diseases.  The eye and its surrounding tissues
comprise a complicated organ system in which immunologically mediated
diseases that are intrinsic to the eye or are ocular manifestations
of systemic disease often occur.  Autoimmunity is the main cause of
uveoretinitis in this country.  Knowledge of the chemistry and
sources of ocular autoantigens is just now emerging.  Training of
ophthalmologists and other individuals with suitable backgrounds in
clinical and basic science in the immunopathology of eye diseases
such as uveitis, various forms of keratitis, and conjunctivitis would
enable them to develop new approaches to eye disease research,
including applications of emerging immunomodulatory therapies to
prevent or halt the progress of these diseases.
 
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (DMID)
 
o   Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).  In order to meet evolving
demands for high quality STD research, there is an urgent need to
increase STD research opportunities.  Areas of emphasis in STD
research include sequelae of STDs in women (e.g., infertility and
adverse outcomes of pregnancy); genital ulcer disease (particularly
chancroid and syphilis); human papillomavirus infection; and the
inter-relationships between HIV infection and other STDs. Because of
the interdisciplinary character of these research issues, there is a
need to encourage research training to include not only specialists
in infectious diseases, but also other clinical investigators (e.g.,
obstetricians, gynecologists, and pediatricians), behavioral
scientists, and basic researchers.
 
o   Tuberculosis.  The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
Advisory Council for the Elimination of Tuberculosis has listed the
training of tuberculosis researchers as a high priority item
necessary to achieve tuberculosis control.  Additional individuals
trained as physician-investigators and basic scientists to initiate
high quality research programs on tuberculosis would be highly
desirable.  Therefore, there is a great need to promote clinical and
basic research training in all aspects of tuberculosis control but
particularly training in epidemiology, treatment, immunology and
molecular biology.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Program
Announcement, Individual National Research Service Awards in Allergy,
Immunology, Transplantation, Infectious Diseases and AIDS, is related
to the priority areas of HIV infection, sexually transmitted
diseases, and immunization and infectious diseases.  Potential
applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents,
Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone
202-783-3238).
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to
include minorities and women in study populations so that research
findings can be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease,
disorder or condition under study; special emphasis should be placed
on the need for inclusion of minorities and women in studies of
diseases, disorders and conditions which disproportionately affect
them.  This policy is intended to apply to males and females of all
ages.  If women or minorities are excluded or inadequately
represented in clinical research, particularly in proposed
population-based studies, a clear compelling rationale should be
provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research
design and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of
the study.  This information should be included in the form PHS 398
in Section 2, A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2,
E, Human Subjects. Applicants/ offerors are urged to assess carefully
the feasibility of including the broadest possible representation of
minority groups.  However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible
or appropriate in all research projects to include representation of
the full array of United States racial/ethnic minority populations
(i.e., Native Americans (including American Indians or Alaskan
Natives), Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups should
be provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology,
prevention (and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of
diseases, disorders or conditions, including but not limited to
clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also
apply.  Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues
cannot be identified or linked to individuals are excluded. However,
every effort should be made to include human tissues from women and
racial/ethnic minorities when it is important to apply the results of
the study broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application,
the application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the
selected study population is inadequate, it will be considered a
scientific weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be
reflected in assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required
to address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award
grants or cooperative agreements that do not comply with these
policies.

 
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
 
This announcement is for individual NRSA (F32, F33) applications
seeking support for postdoctoral fellows who will advance research in
these areas.  Such a program must be designed to provide the
developing scientist appropriate training to become an independent
investigator capable of constructing and executing rigorous research
protocols carefully crafted to examine a hypothesis.
 
The support mechanisms for training are summarized in this
announcement. Instruction and application forms for each of the
mechanisms may be obtained from the office of sponsored programs at
most research institutions and from the Division of Research Grants,
NIH, (301) 496-7441.  Only U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals
are eligible for support under these programs.
 
A. INDIVIDUAL NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD (F32)
 
Individual NRSA awards are given only at the postdoctoral level. The
application must describe a specific research project that is guided
and sponsored by a preceptor at a particular institution. This
support is for full-time research training.  Provisions of these
awards include:
 
o Awards for up to 36 months of training (waivers may be granted to
M.D.s upon written request for an additional year);
 
o Stipends based on years of experience from date of degree to
issuance of award: stipend range is $18,600 - $32,300 per year;
 
o Institutional allowance of $3,000 per year ($2,000 per year for
fellows at NIH) to help meet expenses;
 
o All support exceeding 12 months requires either service or
financial payback.
 
B.  SENIOR NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD (F33)
 
Senior fellowships are designed for experienced scientists who wish
to make major changes in the direction of their research career, to
broaden their research capabilities, or to enlarge their command of
an allied research field.  Provisions of the award include:
 
o Awards may be for up to 24 months;
 
o Candidates must have received a doctoral degree or equivalent and
have had at least seven subsequent years of relevant professional or
research experience;
 
o Stipends range up to a maximum of $32,300 per year.
 
o All support exceeding 12 months requires either service or
financial payback.
 
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND REVIEW FOR INDIVIDUAL NRSA'S IN NIAID
 
Application receipt dates for these awards are January 10, May 10,
and September 10.  Institute assignment decisions will be governed by
customary programmatic considerations as specified in the NIH
Referral Guidelines. Applicants for the two types of fellowship
awards must use the Fellowship Application Kit (PHS 416-1, Revised
4/89).  Fellowships will be reviewed through the accelerated NIH peer
review system in the Division of Research Grants. Earliest possible
start dates will be six months after the receipt dates.
 
Applications submitted in response to the six emphasis areas
described above must be identified by typing "PA-91-95, INDIVIDUAL
NRSAs" on line 2 of the face page, below the title of the project.
Applications for training in areas other than those emphasized above
must leave line 2 blank.
 
Applicants from institutions that have a General Clinical Research
Center (GCRC) funded by the NIH National Center for Research
Resources may wish to identify the GCRC as a resource for conducting
the proposed activity.  In such a case, a letter of agreement from
either the GCRC program director or Principal Investigator may be
included with the application.
 
For further information about NIAID individual NRSAs, contact the
representative from the appropriate NIAID Division:
 
Nancy R. Brown
Health Specialist
Basic Research and Development Program
Division of AIDS
Control Data Building, Room 208N
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0755
 
Leslye D. Johnson, Ph.D.
Chief, Enteric Diseases Branch
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 748
Bethesda MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7051

Eugene M. Zimmerman, Ph.D.
Special Assistant to the Director
Division of Allergy, Immunology and Transplantation
Westwood Building, Room 752
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8973
 
For inquiries regarding fiscal and business matters, contact:
 
Ms. Barbara Huffman
Special Assistant for Operations
Office of the Chief, GMB, DEA, NIAID
Westwood Building, Room 718
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7075
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.855, Immunology, Allergic and Immunologic Diseases
Research, and No. 93.856, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Research.  Awards will be made under the authority of the Public
Health Service Act, Title III, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as
amended; 42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grants policies and
Federal Regulation 42 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to
the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or
Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$P1 END *************************************************************
 
$$P2 BEGIN PA-91-96 **************************************************
 
REDUCTION OF CANCER RISK BEHAVIORS IN HIGH-RISK YOUTH
 
PA:  PA-91-96
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0411005, 0403001, 0745027
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Application Receipt Dates:  February 1, 1992, June 1, 1992, and
October 1, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) invites applications for studies
to develop, evaluate, and disseminate effective cancer risk reduction
methods and materials, and prevention intervention strategies for
populations of high-risk youth, i.e., children or youth aged 10 to 18
years who are living in families or households with incomes below the
poverty level.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives for children and
adolescents contained in its publication "Healthy People 2000.'  This
program announcement (PA), Reduction of Cancer Risk Behaviors in
High-Risk Youth, specifically targets the nutrition, tobacco,
alcohol, HIV infection, and general cancer prevention priority areas.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of
Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325
(telephone 202-783-3238).
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
It is estimated that 20 percent of all American children under 18
years of age live in poverty.  Included in this group are
approximately 15 percent of all White children, 40 percent of all
Hispanic children, and 45 percent of all Black children.  These young
people are extremely vulnerable to several unhealthy behaviors.
Children of poverty often experiment with or are regular users of
tobacco and/or alcohol, are sexually active without the benefits of
barrier protection, and have nutritional habits that are unhealthful.
Many of these young people live in a world where stable familial
relations are the exception, and where the social and institutional
environment challenges rather than nurtures development.  From a
public health perspective the effects of these conditions are at
least two-fold:  first, they make programmatic efforts especially
difficult to implement, frequently causing impoverished youth to
become underserved and hard-to-reach; and second, these conditions
predispose children to health-compromising behaviors, thus making
them 'high-risk.'
 
This PA has two major research objectives related to the high- risk
youth population:  (1) Develop and test, through community-level
institutions, methods and interventions for the primary prevention of
cancers related to poor diet, tobacco use, alcohol use, and early or
unprotected sexual activity (applicants must focus interventions on
at least two of these four risk factors); and (2) Summarize and
publish process and outcome results of these methods and
interventions for use by community-level organizations that serve
high-risk youth.
 
Intervention sites may include, but are not limited to:  community
health centers, the juvenile justice system, community youth
organizations, and schools.  Two types of evaluation must take place
under this PA:  (1) outcome evaluation to judge how effectively the
intervention has worked, and (2) process evaluation to identify ways
of improving the program and to determine how much of the program is
being implemented as planned.  Investigators will be required to give
full details of how they intend to accomplish these types of
evaluation, and explain how they will recruit and track what is
likely to be a hard-to-reach population.  Prevention programs must
use a variety of culturally sensitive approaches rather than a single
approach, and should be adapted to the special needs of high-risk
youth to provide them with skills to make their own decisions to
refrain from unhealthy behaviors in spite of peer, advertising, and
other pressures endemic to their social environment.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The mechanisms of support for this announcement are the research
project grants (R01) and the First Independent Research Support and
Transition (FIRST) award (R29).  Except as otherwise stated in this
PA, awards will be administered under the PHS grants policy as stated
in the PHS Grants Policy Statement.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Applications may be submitted by non-profit and for-profit
organizations, by public and private entities such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State and local
governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.
Applications from minority individuals and women are encouraged.
Foreign organizations are eligible to apply, and domestic
applications may include foreign components.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
National Institutes of Health (NIH) policy is that applicants for NIH
clinical research grants will be required to include minorities and
women in study populations so that research findings can be of
benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder, or condition
under study.  Special emphasis should be placed on the need for
inclusion of minorities in studies of diseases that
disproportionately affect them.  This policy is intended to apply to
males and females of all ages.  If women or minorities are excluded
or inadequately represented in clinical research, particularly in
proposed population-based studies, a clear and compelling rationale
should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial or ethnic group, together with a rationale
for its choice.  In addition, gender and racial or ethnic issues
should be addressed in developing a research design and sample size
appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.  This
information should be included on grant application form PHS 398 in
Sections 2A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2E
(Human Subjects).
 
Applicants are urged to carefully assess the feasibility of including
the broadest possible representation of minority groups.  However,
NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in all
research projects to include representation of the full array of
United States racial or ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native
Americans (including American Indians or Alaskan Natives),
Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups
should be provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies or etiology, epidemiology,
prevention (and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of
diseases, disorders or conditions, including but not limited to
clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also
apply.  Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues
cannot be identified or linked to individuals are excluded. However,
every effort should be made to include human tissues from women and
racial/ethnic minorities when it is important to apply the results of
the study broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries,
applicants must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application,
the application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will specifically address whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the
selected study population is inadequate, it will be considered a
scientific weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be
reflected in assigning a priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are
required to address these policies.  NIH funding components will not
award grants that do not comply with these policies.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications will be assigned on the basis of established Public
Health Service referral guidelines.  Applications will be reviewed
for scientific and technical merit in accordance with the usual NIH
peer review procedures.  Following study section review, the
applications will receive a second-level review by an appropriate
national advisory council.
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
Applications will compete for available funds with all other
applications for assistance funding by the NIH.  The following will
be considered in making funding decisions:  (1) quality of the
proposed project as determined by peer review; (2) availability of
funds; and (3) balance and priority of research topics.

 
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Grant application kits (form PHS 398, rev. 10/88) are available at
most institutional business and grant or contract offices and may be
obtained from the Office of Grant Inquiries, Division of Research
Grants, Westwood Building, Room 449, National Institutes of Health,
Bethesda, MD  20892, telephone (301) 496-7441.  The title and number
of this announcement must be typed on Line 2 on the face page of the
application.  The completed original application and six copies must
be sent or delivered to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
INQUIRIES
 
Requests for further information on the research goals of this PA are
to be addressed to the Program Director:
 
D. Michael Anderson, Ph.D., M.P.H.
National Cancer Institute
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control
Executive Plaza North, Room 218
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892-4200
Telephone:  (301) 496-8577
 
Requests for information on fiscal policies are to be directed to:
 
William Wells
National Cancer Institute
Division of Grants Administration
Executive Plaza South, Room 242
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892-4200
Telephone:  (301) 496-7800  ext. 7800
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and scope
of this PA and inquiries about whether or not specific proposed
research would be responsive, clarifying scientific content and
objectives of an application, size and focus of a research program,
organization of an application, and appropriate use of consultants
are strongly encouraged and are to be directed to Dr. D. Michael
Anderson at the above address and telephone number.  The Program
Director welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues or questions
from potential applicants.
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.399.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of
the Public Health Service Act, Title III, Section 301 (Public Law
78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grants
policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency
review.
 
$$P2 END *************************************************************
 
$$P3 BEGIN PA-91-97 **************************************************
 
EXPLORATORY/DEVELOPMENTAL GRANTS FOR RESEARCH ON THE ETIOLOGY OF
ALCOHOLISM
 
PA:  PA-91-97
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404003, 0755030
 
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) is
soliciting applications for exploratory/ developmental grants for
research on the etiology and treatment of alcoholism.  This
announcement describes the interest in research on the etiology of
alcoholism and accompanies a parallel announcement for research on
alcoholism treatment assessment.  Exploratory/developmental grants
(R21) are intended to develop new research activities that will be
building blocks in the development of future, more intensive, and
larger research studies.  Grants supported under this announcement
will be limited to a two-year effort and a maximum of $70,000 in
direct costs per year.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This program
announcement is related to the priority area of alcohol abuse
reduction.  Potential applicants may obtain free of charge a copy of
"Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No 017-001-00474-0, or
Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington,
DC 20402-9325 (Telephone:  202-783-3238).

 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Applications may be submitted by any nonprofit or for-profit
organization, whether public or private, such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local
governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.  Women
and minority investigators are encouraged to apply.
 
MECHANISMS AND PERIOD OF SUPPORT
 
Research support mechanisms are limited to exploratory/developmental
grants (R21) for up to $70,000 in direct costs per year for up to two
years.  Annual awards will be made subject to continued availability
of funds and progress achieved.
 
AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
 
In Fiscal Year 1992, NIAAA estimates that approximately $1 million
will be available for approximately 10 to 12
exploratory/developmental awards under this announcement and the
related announcement for Exploratory/Developmental Grants (R21) for
Alcoholism Treatment Assessment Research.  However, the amount of
funding will depend on appropriated funds and program priorities at
the time of award.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The objectives of the NIAAA exploratory/developmental grants for
research on the etiology of alcoholism are to:  (1) conduct pilot
studies leading to new programs or the enhancement or modification of
existing research programs that may improve our understanding of the
etiology of alcoholism; (2) improve the methodology for evaluating
the vulnerability to alcoholism; and (3) plan and conduct research
that may lead to the development of new concepts for clinical
treatment of alcoholism.  In addition, the NIAAA is interested in
projects that focus on etiologic mechanisms of alcoholism that may be
unique to special groups such as women, adolescents and youth, the
elderly, and minority and ethnic populations.
 
Applications solicited by this announcement are pertinent to a broad
range of measurement and methodological issues, including creating,
developing, modifying, and enhancing instruments, techniques, or
analytic strategies to assist in research on the etiology and
assessment of alcoholism.  Basic research projects on etiology should
develop new information about how alcohol affects the body and
behavior so that more effective strategies can be designed and
developed for the successful assessment and treatment of alcoholism.
Specific goals may include:
 
1.  Clarifying the basis for alcohol craving so that more effective
therapeutics agents, such as dopaminergic agonists and serotonin
uptake inhibitors, can be designed and tested.
 
2.  Clarifying the roles of various neurotransmitter receptors, such
as those for GABA, NMDA, and adenosine, and of G proteins in the
adaptation to the actions of alcohol.
 
3.  Clarifying the etiology of alcohol-induced brain alterations that
may increase ethanol intake.
 
4.  Developing approaches to study the evolution of adolescent
alcohol abuse during critical stages of maturation.  Such research
could include the effects of alcohol on the brains of immature
animals and the interaction of neurobiological, behavioral, and
environmental influences in humans that might have relevance to the
possible vulnerability of adolescents to develop alcoholism.
 
5.  Developing and validating new screening instruments or biological
and behavioral markers for early identification of individuals at
risk for alcohol abuse/alcoholism.
 
6.  Elucidating the mechanistic basis for abnormal vulnerability to
alcohol-induced organ and tissue damage (e.g., brain, heart, liver,
pancreas, etc.) that needs clinical management during treatment.
Studies may include genetic susceptibilities as well as abnormalities
in metabolism or calcium and magnesium ion distribution, free radical
formation, and hemodynamic/ hypertension changes.  Developing and
validating new medications for diminishing alcohol induced injury is
central to this issue.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF ADAMHA
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
Applications for ADAMHA grants and cooperative agreements are
required to include both women and minorities in study populations
for clinical research, unless compelling scientific or other
justification for not including either woman or minorities is
provided.  This requirement is intended to ensure that research
findings will be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease,
disorder, or condition under study.  For the purpose of these
policies, clinical research involves human studies of etiology,
treatment, diagnosis, prevention, or epidemiology of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical
trials; and minorities include U.S. racial/ethnic minority
populations (specifically:  American Indians or Alaskan Natives,
Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks, and Hispanics).
 
ADAMHA recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in all
clinical research projects to include representation of the full
array of U.S. racial/ethnic minority populations. However, applicants
are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of including the
broadest possible representation of minority groups.
 
Applications should include a description of the composition of the
proposed study population by gender and racial/ethnic group, and the
rationale for the numbers and kinds of people selected to
participate.  This information should be included in the form PHS 398
in Section 2, A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2,
E, Human Subjects.
 
Applications should incorporate in their study design gender and/or
minority representation appropriate to the scientific objectives of
the work proposed.  If representation of women or minorities in
sufficient numbers to permit assessment of differential effects is
not feasible or is not appropriate, the reasons for this must be
explained and justified.  The rationale may relate to the purpose of
the research, the health of the subjects, or other compelling
circumstances (e.g., if in the only study population available, there
is a disproportionate representation in terms of age distribution,
risk factors, incidence/prevalence, etc., of one gender or
minority/majority group).
 
If the required information is not contained within the application,
the review will be deferred until it is complete.  Peer reviewers
will address specifically whether the research plan in the
application conforms to these policies.  If gender and/or minority
representation/ justification are judged to be inadequate, reviewers
will consider this as a deficiency in assigning the priority score to
the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to ADAMHA are
required to address these policies.  ADAMHA funding components will
not award grants that do not comply with these policies.
 
APPLICATION RECEIPT AND REVIEW SCHEDULE
 
Receipt Dates    Initial      Advisory         Earliest
 New/Renewal      Review    Council Review    Start Date
 
Jun 1/Jul 1*     Oct/Nov      Jan/Feb           Apr 1
Oct 1/Nov 1*     Feb/Mar      May/Jun           Jul 1
Feb 1/Mar 1*     May/Jun      Sep/Oct           Dec 1
 
*  Competing continuation, supplemental, and revised applications are
to be submitted on these dates.
 
Consequences of Late Submission
 
Applications received after the above receipt dates are subject to
assignment to the next review cycle.
 
APPLICATION PROCESS
 
Applicants must use the grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88).
The number and title of this program announcement "PA-91-97,
Exploratory/Developmental Grants for Research on the Etiology of
Alcoholism" must be typed in item number 2 on the face page of the
PHS 398 application form.
 
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may
be obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at
most universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major
research facilities.  If such a source is not available, the
following office may be contacted for the necessary application
material:
 
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
P.O. Box 2345
Rockville, MD  20852
Telephone:  (301) 468-2600
 
The signed original and six permanent, legible copies of the
completed application must be sent to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
REVIEW PROCESS
 
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for
receipt of applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.
Applications received under this announcement will be assigned to an
Initial Review Group (IRG) in accordance with established PHS
Referral Guidelines.  The IRG, consisting primarily of non-Federal
scientific and technical experts, will review the applications for
scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the review
recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the initial
review.  Applications will receive a second-level review by an
appropriate national advisory council whose review may be based on
policy considerations as well as scientific merit.
 
REVIEW CRITERIA
 
Criteria for scientific/technical merit review of applications will
include the following:
 
o  The overall significance and scientific and technical merit of the
proposed research.
 
o  The appropriateness and adequacy of the experimental design,
including the adequacy of the methodology for collection and analysis
of data, including research schematics, detailed analytic plans, and
proposed instrumentation.
 
o  The adequacy of the qualifications (including level of education
and training) and relevant research experience of the principal
investigator and key research personnel.
 
o  The availability of adequate facilities, general environment for
the conduct of proposed research, other resources, and collaborative
arrangements necessary for the research.
 
o  The appropriateness of budget estimates for the proposed research
activities.
 
o  If applicable, the adequacy of procedures to protect or minimize
possible adverse effects on humans, animals, or the environment.
 
o  Conformance of the application to the policy on the inclusion of
women and minorities in study populations.
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
Applications recommended for consideration by the National Advisory
Council on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism will be considered for
funding on the basis of overall scientific and technical merit of the
research as determined by peer review, NIAAA program needs and
balance, and availability of funds.
 
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SUPPORT
 
Grant funds may be used for expenses clearly related and necessary to
conduct research projects, including direct costs that can be
specifically identified with the project and allowable indirect costs
of the institution.  Funds may not be used to establish, add a
component to, or operate a treatment, rehabilitation, or prevention
intervention service program.  Support for research-related
treatment, rehabilitation, or prevention services and programs may be
requested only for costs required by the research.  These costs must
be justified in terms of research objectives, methods, and designs
that promise to yield generalizable knowledge and/or make a
significant contribution to theoretical concepts.
 
Grants must be administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy
Statement (Rev. October 1, 1990).
 
INQUIRIES
 
Potential applicants are encouraged to seek preapplication
consultation and may contact the individuals listed below for
consultation in preparing an application under this announcement.
 
Direct inquiries related to program issues to:
 
Basic Etiology:
 
Sam Zakhari, Ph.D. or Walter Hunt, Ph.D.
Division of Basic Research
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Parklawn Bldg., Room 16C-05
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4223
 
Treatment and Treatment Assessment:
 
Joanne Fertig, Ph.D.
Treatment Research Branch
Division of Clinical and Prevention Research
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Parklawn Bldg., Room 14C-20
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-0796
 
Direct inquiries related to fiscal matters to:
 
Elsie Fleming
Grants Management Branch
Office of Planning and Resource Management
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Parklawn Building, Room 16-86
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4703
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.273.  Awards are made under the authority of
Sections 301 and 510 of the Public Health Service Act as amended (42
USC 241 and 290bb).
 
Federal regulations at 42 CFR Part 52, "Grants for Research
Projects," and Title 45 CFR Parts 74 and 92, generic requirements
concerning the administration of grants, are applicable to these
awards.  The program is not subject to the intergovernmental review
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency
review.
 
$$P3 END *************************************************************
 
$$P4 BEGIN PA-91-98 **************************************************
 
EXPLORATORY/DEVELOPMENTAL GRANTS FOR ALCOHOLISM TREATMENT ASSESSMENT
RESEARCH
 
PA-91-98
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404003, 0795005
 
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) is
soliciting applications for exploratory/ developmental grants for
research on the etiology and treatment of alcoholism.  This
announcement describes the interest in research on alcoholism
treatment assessment and accompanies a parallel announcement for
research on the etiology of alcoholism.
 
Exploratory/developmental grants (R21) are intended to develop new
research activities that will be building blocks in the development
of future, more intensive, and larger research studies.  Grants
supported under this announcement will be limited to a two-year
effort and a maximum of $70,000 in direct costs per year.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 200
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This program
announcement is related to the priority area of alcohol abuse
reduction.  Potential applicants may obtain free of charge a copy of
"Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0, or
Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington,
DC 20402-9325 (Telephone:  202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Applications may be submitted by any nonprofit or for-profit
organization, public or private, such as universities, colleges,
hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local governments, and
eligible agencies of the Federal Government.  Women and minority
investigators are encouraged to apply.
 
MECHANISM AND PERIOD OF SUPPORT
 
Research support mechanisms are limited to exploratory/ developmental
grants (R21) for up to $70,000 in direct costs per year for up to two
years.  Annual awards will be made subject to continued availability
of funds and progress achieved.
 
AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
 
In Fiscal Year 1992, NIAAA estimates that approximately $1 million
will be available for approximately 10 to 12
exploratory/developmental awards under this announcement and the
related announcement for Exploratory/Developmental Grants (R21) for
Research on the Etiology of Alcoholism.  However, the amount of
funding will depend on appropriated funds and program priorities at
the time of award.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The objectives of NIAAA exploratory/developmental grants for
alcoholism treatment assessment research are to:  (1) support
promising activities of institutions that wish to build a capacity to
do alcoholism treatment assessment research; (2) conduct pilot
studies leading to expansion, enhancement, or modification of
existing alcoholism treatment research programs; (3) plan and conduct
pilot research leading to the possible development of clinical trials
in alcoholism treatment assessment research; and to (4) develop
instruments and methodologies that can support larger scale studies
on alcoholism treatment.
 
Applications solicited by this announcement are pertinent to a broad
range of measurement and methodological issues, including creating,
developing, modifying, or enhancing instruments, techniques, or
analytic strategies to assist in alcoholism studies.  Some specific
types of interests include:
 
o  Development of measures of patient variables, including patient
classification systems, that may contribute to effective,
differential treatment planning.
 
o  Normalization and validation of patient assessment and treatment
outcome measures.
 
o  Development of measures of alcoholism program characteristics
(e.g., access factors, structure, treatment atmosphere, counselor
characteristics, patient satisfaction) that may elucidate their
contribution to treatment effectiveness.
 
o  Development of measures of extra-treatment variables, such as
social/environmental support, coercion for treatment, and patient
motivation, that may be associated with alcoholism recovery.
 
o  Development of procedures to assess and enhance patient compliance
with treatment and treatment research protocols.
 
o  Development and evaluation of psychosocial and biochemical
measures of alcoholism and alcohol consumption.
 
o  Formulation or extension of experimental methodologies and
quantitative techniques to advance alcoholism treatment research.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF ADAMHA
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
Applications for ADAMHA grants and cooperative agreements are
required to include both women and minorities in study populations
for clinical research, unless compelling scientific or other
justification for not including either woman or minorities is
provided.  This requirement is intended to ensure that research
findings will be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease,
disorder, or condition under study.  For the purpose of these
policies, clinical research involves human studies of etiology,
treatment, diagnosis, prevention, or epidemiology of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical
trials; and minorities include U.S. racial/ethnic minority
populations (specifically:  American Indians or Alaskan Natives,
Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks, and Hispanics).
 
ADAMHA recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in all
clinical research projects to include representation of the full
array of U.S. racial/ethnic minority populations. However, applicants
are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of including the
broadest possible representation of minority groups.
 
Applications should include a description of the composition of the
proposed study population by gender and racial/ethnic group, and the
rationale for the numbers and kinds of people selected to
participate.  This information should be included in the form PHS 398
in Section 2, A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2,
E, Human Subjects.
 
Applications should incorporate in their study design gender and/or
minority representation appropriate to the scientific objectives of
the work proposed.  If representation of women or minorities in
sufficient numbers to permit assessment of differential effects is
not feasible or is not appropriate, the reasons for this must be
explained and justified.  The rationale may relate to the purpose of
the research, the health of the subjects, or other compelling
circumstances (e.g., if in the only study population available, there
is a disproportionate representation in terms of age distribution,
risk factors, incidence/prevalence, etc., of one gender or
minority/majority group).
 
If the required information is not contained within the application,
the review will be deferred until it is complete.  Peer reviewers
will address specifically whether the research plan in the
application conforms to these policies.  If gender and/or minority
representation/ justification are judged to be inadequate, reviewers
will consider this as a deficiency in assigning the priority score to
the application.
All applications for clinical research submitted to ADAMHA are
required to address these policies.  ADAMHA funding components will
not award grants that do not comply with these policies.
 
APPLICATION RECEIPT AND REVIEW SCHEDULE
 
Receipt Dates      Initial        Advisory       Earliest
 New/Renewal        Review     Council Review   Start Date
 
Jun 1/Jul 1*       Oct/Nov       Jan/Feb          Apr 1
Oct 1/Nov 1*       Feb/Mar       May/Jun          Jul 1
Feb 1/Mar 1*       May/Jun       Sep/Oct          Dec 1
 
*  Competing continuation, supplemental, and revised applications are
to be submitted on these dates.
 
Consequences of Late Submission
 
Applications received after the above receipt dates are subject to
assignment to the next review cycle.
 
APPLICATION PROCESS
 
Applicants must use the grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88).
The number and title of this program announcement "PA-91-98,
Exploratory/ Developmental Grants for Alcoholism Treatment Assessment
Research" must be typed in item number 2 on the face page of the PHS
398 application form.
 
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may
be obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at
most universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major
research facilities.  If such a source is not available, the
following office may be contacted for the necessary application
material:
 
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
P.O. Box 2345
Rockville, MD  20852
Telephone:  (301) 468-2600
 
The signed original and six permanent, legible copies of the
completed application must be sent to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
REVIEW PROCESS