Subject: (Copy) NIH GUIDE - Vol. 20, No. 10, March 8, 1991, Part 2 of 2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 09:08 EST

Hi Paul,
    This is Part 2 of the 3/8/9l NIH Guide.   Please substitute this
corrected version for the Part 2 that is posted on the listserver.
   Please post this one as NIHGUIDE2.910308
   Thanks.   Have a nice day.
                             Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19910308 V20N10 P2O2 ************************************
nutrition; clinical pharmacology and clinical trials; behavioral
medicine and related areas of cancer research).
 
GOALS AND SCOPE
 
This award is aimed at encouraging and assisting a designated leader in
any of the minority health professional schools to increase his/her
institution's efforts in clinical cancer research in the areas such as
medical oncology, prevention, etiology, diagnosis, treatment, and
control; and to aid in establishing a cadre of faculty and staff capable
of developing new research protocols and of participate in intervention
studies and clinical trials in these areas.
 
These awards offer opportunities for supporting start-up expansion of
such activities, and are intended to meet needs that have not been
addressed by other types of awards available from the NCI or other
Federal Agencies.  Priority is given to those minority institutions with
an interest in and commitment to expansion of clinical cancer
research-related activities in local populations.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of
Health grant-in-aid (KO7).  Applicants will be responsible for the
planning, direction, and execution of the proposed project.  Up to
$350,000 in total costs per year will be committed specifically to fund
applications submitted in response to this RFA.  It is anticipated that
between 2 and 4 awards will be made from the competition for this K07
solicitation.  This funding level is dependent on the receipt of a
sufficient number of applications of high scientific merit.  The
earliest feasible start date for the initial award is September 30,
1991.  Awards may be requested for a period of 3 to 5 years.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit, by April 5, 1991, a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed research,
the name and address of the Principal Investigator, the names of other
key personnel, the participating institutions, and the number and title
of the RFA in response to which the application is being submitted.  The
letter of intent is of great benefit to the NCI in planning for and
implementing the review process although it is not required, is not
binding, and does not enter into the review of subsequent applications.
 
The letter of intent should be sent to the NCI Program Director:
 
Dr. Lemuel Evans
Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Program
Division of Extramural Activities
National Cancer Institute
NIH Building 31, Room 10A04
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7344
FAX:  (301) 402-0062
 
For information regarding budgetary/administrative issues related to
this RFA, please contact:
 
Mr. Leo Buscher, Jr.
Chief, Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza South, Room 216
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7753
 
INQUIRIES
 
Requests for a complete copy of the RFA, written or telephone inquiries
concerning the objectives and scope of this RFA, or inquiries about
whether or not specific proposed research would be responsive should be
directed to Dr. Lemuel Evans at the above address.  The Program Director
welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from
potential applicants.
 
$$R12 END **************************************************************
 
$$R13 BEGIN CA-91-12 FULL-TEXT *****************************************
 
CLINICAL INVESTIGATOR AWARD FOR RESEARCH ON SPECIAL POPULATIONS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  CA-91-12
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0411005, 0715020, 0785055, 0785140, 0785210,
0745062
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  April 5, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  May 17, 1991
 
PURPOSE AND BACKGROUND
 
The Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Program, Division of Extramural
Activities, National Cancer Institute (NCI) announces the availability
of Clinical Investigator Awards for Research on Special Populations.
This program is intended to:
 
o Encourage newly trained clinicians to develop research interests and
skills in the basic and applied sciences relevant to cancers and risks
for cancers that have a high prevalence or incidence in special
populations that may be underserved by limited access to current
knowledge and medical care.
 
o Increase the pool of cancer physician-investigators, particularly in
medical oncology, epidemiology, nutrition, behavioral medicine, surgical
oncology, preventive oncology and diagnostic and therapeutic radiology,
who are committed to investigation of the unique problems facing special
populations.
 
o Provide the opportunity for clinically trained physicians with a
commitment to research to develop into independent biomedical research
investigators.
 
The term "special populations" refers to those population segments which
may experience or are known to experience high cancer rates and are
underserved in terms of:  cancer prevention and control programs (e.g.,
smoking or health screening programs); diagnostic and treatment
modalities; study for special risk factors or underlying biological
differences; and who may have limited access to regular medical care.
This definition is taken to include:  African Americans, Alaskan
Natives, American Indians, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, the
elderly, Hispanics, and low-income groups.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE FOR THE YEAR 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of Healthy People 2000, a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This PA/RFA,
"Clinical Investigator Award for Research on Special Populations (K08)",
is related to the priority area of cancer research.  Potential
applicants may obtain a copy of Healthy People 2000 (Full Report:  Stock
No. 017-001-00474-0) or Healthy People 2000 (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (Telephone 202-783-3238).
 
GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The award will enable candidates to undertake from three to five years
of specialized study and supervised research experience tailored to
individual needs with a sponsor (or sponsors) competent to provide
research guidance.  This award is intended to cover the transition
between postdoctoral experience and a career in independent
investigation, and to acquaint the candidate with the often unique
challenges and circumstances involved in designing research protocols
directed toward improving the health of groups comprising a significant
and often disproportional percentage of individuals at risk from high
cancer morbidity and mortality rates.
 
This award differs from the NIH Research Career Development Award (RCDA)
in that it seeks to develop research ability in individuals with a
clinical background early in the candidate's career rather than to
promote the further development of research skills of individuals
already demonstrating significant research achievement.  A major purpose
of this award is to increase the number of cancer-oriented research
physicians in the United States with research interests and experience
focused specifically on the unique needs of special populations and the
broad array of issues at the biological, behavioral, social, economic
and medical levels that render such populations at increased risk for
cancer and for mortality from cancer.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women and/or minorities are not included or adequately
represented in study populations proposed for clinical studies, a
specific justification for this exclusion or inadequate representation
must be provided.  Applications without such documentation will not be
accepted for review.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of
Health grant-in-aid (K08).  Applicants will be responsible for the
planning, direction, and execution of the proposed project.  Applicants
may request three to five years of support.  Awards are non-renewable
and non-transferable from one awardee to another.  Funding beyond the
first year of the grant is contingent on satisfactory progress during
the preceding year.  Future program interest in this initiative will be
announced through the NIH program announcement mechanism.
 
It is anticipated that in a majority of cases the experience and results
achieved by awardees as a result of this special grant program will
provide the basis for their successful competition in the research
support programs of the NCI.
 
Up to $300,000 has been set-aside in FY 1991 to fund meritorious
applications received in response to this competition.  Depending on the
merit and distribution of applications received, approximately 1 to 3
Clinical Investigators will be funded with a start date of September 30,
1991.  Meritorious applications received for this competition that
cannot be funded at that time may be held over for possible funding in
fiscal year 1992.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit, by April 5, 1991, a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed research,
the name and address of the Principal Investigator, the names of other
key personnel, the participating institutions, and the number and title
of the RFA in response to which the application is being submitted.  The
letter of intent is of great benefit to the NCI in planning and
implementing the review process although the letter is not required, is
not binding, and does not enter into the review of subsequent
applications.  The letter of intent must be sent to the NCI Program
Director:
 
Dr. Lemuel Evans
Division of Extramural Activities
Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Program
National Cancer Institute
Building 31, Room 10A04
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7344
 
For information regarding budgetary/administrative issues related to
this RFA, please contact:
 
Mr. Leo Buscher, Jr.
Chief, Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza South, Room 216
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7753
 
INQUIRIES
 
Requests for a copy of the complete RFA, written or telephone inquiries
concerning the objectives and scope of this RFA or inquiries about
whether or not specific proposed research would be responsive should be
directed to Dr. Lemuel Evans at the above address.  The program director
welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from
potential applicants.
 
$$R13 END **************************************************************
 
$$R14 BEGIN CA-91-13 FULL-TEXT *****************************************
 
MINORITY SCHOOL FACULTY DEVELOPMENT AWARD
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  CA-91-13
 
P.T. 34, FF; K.W. 0715035, 0710030
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  April 5, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  May 17, 1991
 
PURPOSE
 
The Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Program, Division of Extramural
Activities, National Cancer Institute (NCI), invites academic health
centers or schools and other health professional schools that employ,
educate or serve a preponderance of minority faculty, staff, trainees
and communities to submit applications for support of activities
directed at the development of faculty investigators at minority schools
in areas relevant to cancer.  The intent of the award is to provide the
awardee with increased access to research opportunities through
collaborative arrangements with outstanding cancer research scientists,
usually at institutions within a 100 mile radius of the applicant
organization.
 
BACKGROUND
 
Despite a variety of efforts to increase minority faculty
representation, the percentage of minority faculty in U.S. medical and
other health professional schools has remained at consistently low
levels.  The continuation of this deficiency is projected by observing
the discrepancies between the proportion of underrepresented minorities
in the medical school population and the general population.  While 12
percent of the U.S. population is African American, less than 1 percent
of persons holding a Ph.D. in science are African American and the
percentages for other minority groups are correspondingly small.
 
The proportion of minority biomedical investigators, especially those
receiving funding support from agencies of the Federal government, is
strikingly low.  This program is designed to offer support for cancer
related research to minority school faculty members at the M.D., Ph.D.
or equivalent level who have the interest and capabilities of doing
state-of-the-art research in this area.
 
GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The objective of this Request for Applications (RFA) is to broaden the
experience of faculty members at minority schools, increase the pool of
biomedical and behavioral investigators in cancer research, and have
graduate and undergraduate students, most of whom will be minority
individuals, become more cognizant of research opportunities in cancer
research.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of
Health grant-in-aid (K14).  Applicants will be responsible for the
planning, direction, and execution of the proposed project.  Except as
otherwise stated in this RFA, awards will be administered under PHS
grants policy as stated in Public Health Service Grants Policy
Statement, HHS Publication No. (OASH) 90-50,000, revised October 1,
1990.  Applicants may request three to five years of support.  Awards
are non-renewable and nontransferable from one awardee to another.
Funding beyond the first year of the grant is contingent on satisfactory
progress during the preceding year.  Future program interest in this
initiative will be announced through the NIH program announcement
mechanism.
 
A set-aside of approximately $300,000 in total costs per year has been
designated for this group of applications, which should request a
starting date of September 30, 1991.  It is anticipated that three to
four awards will be made.  This funding level is dependent upon the
receipt of a sufficient number of applications of high scientific merit.
Although this program is provided for in the financial plans of the NCI,
the award of grants pursuant to this RFA is also contingent upon the
availability of funds for this purpose.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit by April 5, 1991, a letter of
intent that includes descriptive title of the proposed research, the
name and address of the Principal Investigator, the names of other key
personnel, the participating institutions, and the number and title of
the RFA in response to which the application is being submitted.  The
letter of intent is of great benefit to the NCI in planning and
implementing the review process.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Requests for a copy of the complete RFA, written or telephone inquiries
concerning the objectives and scope of the RFA or inquiries about
whether or not specific proposed research would be responsive should be
directed to:
 
Dr. Lemuel A. Evans
Director
Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Program
National Cancer Institute
Building 31, Room 10A04
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
For information regarding budgetary/administrative issues related to
this RFA, please contact:
 
Mr. Leo Buscher, Jr.
Chief, Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza South, Room 216
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7753
 
The Program Director welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues or
questions from potential applicants, and to aid in identification of
institutions and potential mentors appropriate top the interests of the
applicant.
 
$$R14 END **************************************************************
 
$$R15 BEGIN AI-91-08 FULL-TEXT *****************************************
 
RESEARCH UNITS ON PELVIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE AND ITS SEQUELAE
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  AI-91-08
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715026, 1002004, 1002027, 0710070
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  April 15, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  October 21, 1991
 
The Sexually Transmitted Disease Branch of the Division of Microbiology
and Infectious Disease of the National Institute of Allergy and
Infectious Diseases (NIAID) invites grant applications for program
project grants to be initiated in FY 1992 that focus on pelvic
inflammatory disease (PID) and its sequelae.  In recognition of the
severe impact of PID on the health of women, the NIAID wishes to expand
research in this area and to place greater emphasis on investigations
that are likely to lead to reduction of the incidence and severity of
long-term sequelae such as infertility, ectopic pregnancy and chronic
pelvic pain syndrome.  The Research Units on PID and its Sequelae will
provide a strong, interdisciplinary approach to PID research which will
draw upon expertise in clinical, epidemiological, behavioral, and basic
sciences.  Although a broad range of PID research issues will be
addressed, research in the following three areas is particularly
enthusiastically encouraged:
 
1) Long-term sequelae - Characterization of the immunopathological and
behavioral determinants of the development of long-term sequelae of PID
and use of animal models to evaluate interventions to reduce these
sequelae;
 
2) Atypical PID - Development of methods to detect atypical infections
and definition of the epidemiology of this portion of the PID spectrum;
 
3) Diagnostic Approaches - Development and assessment of non-invasive
methods to diagnose PID.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of Healthy People 2000, a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Research Units on Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and its Sequelae, is
related to the priority area of Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of
Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325
(telephone 202-783-3238).
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES AND SCOPE
 
The goal of this program is to encourage investigators to undertake
research that will provide the microbiological, immunological, clinical,
epidemiological and behavioral information needed for the eventual
control of PID and its long-term sequelae.  In addition to other
important research issues, data that are needed to design and conduct
intervention trials to reduce the incidence and severity of sequelae of
PID are of high priority.  It should be understood that such a trial is
not a component of this solicitation nor has the NIAID developed
specific plans for such a trial at this time.  However, one of the major
purposes of this RFA is to stimulate exceptionally high quality,
multi-disciplinary research on those aspects of the epidemiology,
pathogenesis and detection of PID that are likely to be critical in the
design of such trials.
 
In addition to the importance of utilizing a multi-disciplinary
approach, specific programmatic requirements and constraints are as
follows:
 
o Structure:  Each program project must consist of at least three
individual subprojects that are synergistically inter-related.  Each
subproject should clearly describe research objectives and each should
be headed by a Principal Investigator, with a research staff and a
separately identifiable budget.
 
o Clinical Facility:  In order to bridge the basic research and clinical
arenas, the PID program project must offer a strong clinical facility
with accessible patient populations that are appropriate to answering
PID research questions.  Adolescents and inner city minority groups
should be considered for special attention in the context of these
program project grants.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES - For projects involving clinical research, NIH
requires applicants to give special attention to the inclusion of women
and minorities in study populations.  By the nature of this program,
subjects will consist largely of women.  Applicants are urged to give
added attention, where feasible and appropriate, to the inclusion of
minorities in study population for PID program project grants.  If
minorities are not included or adequately represented in the study
populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion or inadequate representation must be provided.  Applications
without such documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
A broad range of research questions is potentially relevant to the goal
of this program.  Specific research areas of high priority include but
are not limited to microbiology, pathogenesis, epidemiology, behavioral
determinants, and diagnosis of PID and are addressed in greater detail
in the RFA.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Successful applicants funded under this RFA will be supported through
program project (PO1) grants.  This type of funding mechanism is
utilized when it is desired to encourage multi-disciplinary
investigator-initiated research on a broad range of problems which are
linked by a common theme.  NIAID anticipates making three program
project grant awards as a result of this RFA.  The final number of
awards to be made is dependent upon the availability of funds.  Requests
for support should be limited to no more than $800,000 total costs for
the initial year of funding.  This solicitation represents a single
competition with a specified deadline for receipt of applications.
Awards will be made for a project period of up to four years.  Although
there are no present plans to reissue this RFA at any future time, NIAID
may invite competitive renewal applications upon expiration of the
initial funding period, contingent on the availability of funds for this
purpose.
 
ELIGIBILITY - ONLY DOMESTIC INSTITUTIONS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURE
 
Before preparing an application, the prospective applicant must request
a copy of the RFA and the NIAID Information Brochure on Program Project
Center Grants from:
 
Dr. Judith Wasserheit
Chief, Sexually Transmitted Diseases Branch
Westwood Building, Room 749
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
National Institutes of Health
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda,  MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0443
 
Letter Of Intent
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit, by April 15, 1991, a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title and the names and
affiliations of the proposed key investigators for each of the proposed
research projects.
 
This letter must be sent to:
 
Dr. Olivia Preble
Chief, Microbiology and Immunology Review Section
Program and Project Review Branch
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 3A10
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8208
 
Questions regarding fiscal matters should be addressed to:
 
Mr. Todd Ball
Grants Management Branch
Division of Extramural Activities
NIAID, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 726
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7075
 
$$R15 END **************************************************************
 
               FULL TEXT OF RFAs FOR ONLINE ACCESS