Subject: NIH Guide, Vol. 20, No. l7, April 26, l99l Part 2 of 2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 08:35 EST

Hi Paul,
   Part 2 of the NIH Guide.  Please post to the NIH Listserver as:
       NIHGUIDE2.910426
Thanks.    Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19910426 V20N17 P2O2 ************************************
the justification for the selected study population is inade-
quate, it will be considered a scientific weakness or
deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are
required to address these policies.  NIH funding components
will not award grants or cooperative agreements that do not
comply with these policies.
 
VI.  MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The administrative and funding mechanism to be used to
support these studies will be the Special Emphasis Research
Career Award (K01).  The regulations (Code of Federal
Regulations, Title 42, Part 52 and Title 45, Part 74) and
policies that govern the research grant programs of the
Public Health Services will prevail.
 
Applications for this SERCA will compete for funding with
applications for other awards, as no funds have been set
aside specifically for funding of SERCA applications.  Such
applications may be submitted for the regular NIH February 1,
June 1, and October 1 receipt deadlines.
 
VII.  APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
A.  STAFF CONTACT AND SUPPLEMENTARY GUIDELINES
 
Prospective applicants need to obtain Supplementary
Guidelines and instructions, and to discuss their eligibility
and proposed program of activities by contacting:
 
Richard Suzman
Demography of Aging (SERCA)
Behavioral & Social Research Program
National Institute on Aging
Building 31, Room 5C32
Bethesda, MD  20892-4500
Telephone:  (301) 496-3136
Fax:  (301) 402-0051
 
Questions regarding financial management should be addressed
to:
 
Joe Ellis
Grants and Contracts Management Office
National Institute on Aging
Building 31, Room 5C07
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1472
 
B.  SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
 
Applications must be submitted on form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88,
reprinted 9/89), available at most institutional business
offices and from the Division of Research Grants (DRG), NIH,
(301) 496-7441.
 
Applications should be carefully written to convey the
maximum information to reviewers, in the clearest possible
form, and with the minimum of verbiage.  In line 2 of the face
page of the application, applicants should enter "NIA SERCA:
Demography and Economics of Aging, PA-91-47."  Follow the
"Supplementary Guidelines for Preparing Application, NIA-
SERCA."  (See section VII.A.) Mail the original completed application
and four copies to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Send two copies of the application to:
 
Scientific Review Office
National Institute on Aging
Building 31, Room 5C-12
Bethesda, MD  20892-4500
 
C.  APPLICATION RECEIPT AND REVIEW SCHEDULE
 
NIA-SERCA applications will be received three times per year
according to the following schedule:
 
D.  APPLICATION RECEIPT     COUNCIL REVIEW     START DATE
 
     February 1                Sep/Oct          December 1
         June 1                Jan/Feb*         April 1*
      October 1                May*             July 1*
 
* of the year following application receipt
 
Amended applications also must be submitted for the same
receipt dates.
 
VIII.  REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
 
Review of the applications for scientific and technical merit
will be conducted by a subcommittee of the Neuroscience,
Behavior and Sociology of Aging Review Committee, NIA.  In
this review, particular attention will be given to the
candidate's prior training, experience, and publication
record; clear intention to pursue aging research; career
potential in demographic and/or economics of aging research;
research career development plans; merit of the proposed
research; appropriateness and qualifications of selected
advisor(s) for proposed plans; and the environment
(especially including the strength of the demography  and
economics program).  The application must demonstrate that
the award will enhance the candidate's development as an
investigator in the demography and/or economics of aging and
the sponsoring institution must show commitment to providing
the adequate degree of support.
 
The initial review will result in recommendations for
consideration by the National Advisory Council on Aging.
Applications recommended for approval by the Advisory Council
will be considered for funding on the basis of the overall
merit of the proposal as determined by the Neuroscience,
Behavior and Sociology of Aging Review Committee, relevance
of the proposal to the research objectives of the Institute,
and availability of funds.
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.866, Aging Research.  Awards will be made under
the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title III,
Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and
administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations
42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject
to Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$P3 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P4 BEGIN *************************************************************
 
INDIVIDUAL POSTDOCTORAL NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE
AWARD FELLOWSHIPS
IN RADIOLOGICAL SCIENCES RELATED TO CANCER
 
PA:  PA-91-48
 
P.T. 22; K.W. 0720005, 0745020, 0706030, 0715035
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Application Receipt Dates:  Jan. 10, May 10 and Sept. 10
 
I.  BACKGROUND
 
There is a growing need for qualified and talented
investigators in the radiological sciences who are concerned
with problems related to the diagnosis and treatment of
cancer.  Diagnostic radiology is a medical discipline in which
fundamental biological and cellular processes related to tumor
evolution and tumor inhibition can be represented through a
variety of new imaging technologies.  Future advances in
imaging will integrate links between anatomic structure,
physiologic function, and biochemical activity that will
elucidate the fundamental causes, detection, and metastasis of
cancer.  Currently, morphologic imaging is used for the
detection and quantification of disease states as well as for
the assessment of response to therapy.  Radiation oncology,
too, has become multi-disciplinary.  Stereotactic radiosurgery,
used for deep-seated brain lesions, involves neurosurgeons,
radiation oncologists, physicists, and bioengineers.  Systemic
radiation therapy requires not only the physicians and
physicists of the radiation therapy discipline, but also
knowledge of the body's immune system, biochemistry, and
state-of-the-art imaging technology.  Dynamic conformal
radiation therapy requires specialists in computer science,
medical informatics, therapy treatment planning, and imaging
technology.  There is developing now a growing need in
the radiological sciences for individuals who are cross-
disciplinary in their approaches and solutions to the problems
of diagnosis and treatment of the cancer patient.
 
An area of special interest is in the emerging discipline of
medical informatics and its application to the field of cancer
diagnosis and treatment.  Medical informatics is concerned
with the representation of knowledge and experience in a
computerized format for reproducing advisory, critiquing, and
educational functions; the storage, retrieval, and manipulation
of data to support physician problem solving and reasoning; and
the development of new understanding about the cognitive
processes that are at work in a medical problem-solving
environment.  This multi-disciplinary field requires not only a
knowledge of medicine, but a knowledge of engineering,
computational linguistics, computer science, information
science, statistics and cognitive science, as well as an
intimate knowledge of the medical vocabulary and syntax, an
understanding of the health issues being addressed, and
knowing the appropriate questions to ask.  Very few
individuals in the medical sciences have received sufficiently
broad training in information technology, inferential
reasoning, quantitative methodology, imaging technology, and
database design, coupled with a knowledge of the fundamental
decision-making issues that exist in the socioeconomic
environment in which health care is practiced.
 
II.  GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The purpose of this Program Announcement is to stimulate
qualified candidates to apply for post-doctoral fellowships
leading to training in the radiological sciences that deal
directly with cancer-related topics.  Whenever possible, the
curricula should approach problems related to cancer from an
inter-disciplinary viewpoint---involving multiple disciplines
such as diagnostic radiology, radiation oncology, physics,
engineering, interpretation and visualization science,
theoretical and biological foundations of anatomic structure,
physiology, biochemistry, immunology, cognitive sciences,
information sciences and computer science.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the
health promotion and disease prevention objectives of Healthy
People 2000, a PHS-lead national activity for setting priority
areas.  This Program Announcement, Fellowships in the
Radiological Sciences Related to Cancer, is related to the
priority area of cancer.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000"
(Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000"
(Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
III.  MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The postdoctoral fellowships (F32) shall be funded by National
Research Service Award (NRSA)
on
the basis of merit.  All PHS and NIH grant policies will apply to
applications received in response to this announcement.  Before
submitting an application, an applicant must arrange for
appointment to an appropriate institution and acceptance by a
sponsor, who will supervise the training and research
experience.  The institutional setting must have a strong
department in the radiological sciences and indicate its
awareness of and commitment to solving problems in the
radiological disciplines related to cancer.  Applications will
be subjected to the same peer review process as all other
individual postdoctoral fellowships.
 
Eligibility requirements.  Individuals must be, at the time of
application, citizens or noncitizen nationals of the United States who
have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence
and have in their possession an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151
or I-551).  Individuals on temporary or student visas are not eligible.
Individuals must have received, as of the beginning date of the
appointment, a Ph.D., M.D., D.O., D.D.S., D.V.M., O.D., D.P.M., Sc.D.,
Eng.D., Dr. P.H., D.N.S., D.C., or equivalent degree from an accredited
domestic or foreign institution.  Certification by an authorized
official of the degree-granting institution that all degree requirements
have been met is also acceptable.  Before submitting an application, an
applicant must arrange for appointment to an appropriate institution and
acceptance by a sponsor who will supervise the training and research
experience.  The institutional setting must have a strong department in
the radiological sciences and indicate its awareness of and commitment
to the application of medical informatics to the problems of the
radiological disciplines.  The candidate's sponsor must be a competent
active investigator in the area of the proposed research activity and
must personally supervise the candidate's research.  The sponsor must
document, in the application, the research training plan, the
availability of staff and facilities to provide a suitable environment
for performing high quality work, and the relevance to cancer.
 
Stipends and other training costs.  The stipend level for the
individual postdoctoral fellowship ranges from $18,600 to
$32,300 depending on years of relevant experience subsequent
to the award of the doctorate degree.  Individual postdoctoral
fellowships are made for project periods of up to three years.
In addition, the applicant's institution/organization may
request an institutional allowance up to $3,000 per year for
supplies, equipment, travel, tuition, fees, medical
insurance, and other training-related costs.
 
IV.  APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications must be submitted on form PHS 416-1 (rev.
4/89).  These forms may be obtained from:
 
Office of Grants Inquiries
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 449
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
Applications will be accepted in accordance with the
procedures specified in PHS 416-1 with usual receipt dates
for new fellowship applications, i.e., Jan. 10, May 10, and Sept. 10.
The review process will be completed approximately six
months after the respective receipt dates.  Applications
received too late for one cycle of review will be held until the
next receipt date.
 
Selection of awardees.  Applications are subjected to a review
process that is based upon two sequential levels of review.
The initial review is performed by groups composed primarily
of non-Federal scientists selected for their competence in
particular scientific areas.  The groups are called initial
review groups.  The second level of review is made by a
committee of NIH staff members, selected from appropriate
NIH institutes and divisions.  Selection of successful
candidates is made on the basis of  the initial review group's
recommendation and percentile score,
program
interests, and the availability of funds.
 
V.  INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries about the goals and scope of
this announcement may be directed to:
 
Sandra Zink, Ph.D.
Program Director
Radiation Research Program
National Cancer Institute
EPN/800
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9360
 
For information regarding budgetary/administrative issues
related to this Program Announcement, please contact:
 
Leo Buscher, Jr.
Chief, Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza South, Room 216
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7753
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.398, Cancer Research Manpower.  Awards are made
under the authority of Section 487, Public Health Service Act
as amended (42 USC 288) and administered under PHS Grant
Policies and Title 42 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part
66.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental
review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review.
 
$$P4 END ***************************************************************
 
**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS
THE CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.
APPLICANTS WHO USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO
FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE
ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS:
 
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

               FULL TEXT OF RFAs FOR ONLINE ACCESS