Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(33) 09/06/91 - P2/3
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 91 14:41 EST

Hi Paul,
  Part 2 of the 9/6/9l NIH Guide.  Please post to the NIH Listserver
as:   NIHGUIDE2.910906
                      Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19910906 V20N33 P2O3 ************************************
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.393, Cancer Cause and Prevention Research.  Awards are made under
the authorization of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A
(Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and 285)
and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42
CFR 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review.
 
$$R10 END **************************************************************
 
$$R11 BEGIN HD-92-03 FULL-TEXT *****************************************
 
THE DECISION PROCESS SURROUNDING THE CHOICE OF NORPLANT AS A
CONTRACEPTIVE BY U.S. WOMEN
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HD-92-03
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0750020, 0404000
 
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
 
Application Receipt Date:  December 20, 1991
 
The Center for Population Research (CPR) of the National Institute of
Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) invites scientists to submit
grant applications for the support of research on behavioral aspects of
the adoption and utilization of NORPLANT by U.S. women.  Research on the
behavioral aspects of contraceptive use is an important part of the
program of the Demographic and Behavioral Sciences Branch within the
Center for Population Research.
 
The recent Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval of NORPLANT
provides an opportunity for observing the introduction and adoption
process in the U.S. of a new method of reversible contraception.
Initial research on the product indicates that it promises ease of use
and high efficacy, although it has a variety of side effects that may
trouble some unknown proportion of users or potential users.  Most of
the prior research on this contraceptive has been done in developing
countries.  As of now, there has been little research on how U.S. women,
with different contraceptives available, will accept this method.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000", a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA, The
Decision Process Surrounding the Choice of NORPLANT As a Contraceptive
By U.S. Women, is related to two of the priority areas:  health
promotion -- family planning; and preventive services -- maternal and
infant health.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy
People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0 or Summary Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents,
Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325, telephone (202)
783-3238.
 
Proposed research must include investigation into the decision processes
leading to consideration, adoption, continuation, and discontinuation of
this method.  The incidence and prevalence of side effects and which
side effects convince which women to discontinue the method are also of
interest.
 
Another important question is how NORPLANT acceptability may vary among
groups of women for whom the method is clinically appropriate.
 
This research will require longitudinal follow-up of women who do choose
NORPLANT as a contraceptive method, and may additionally involve
appropriate comparison groups.  The nature of the research encourages
cross- disciplinary applications.  However, the grant will not provide
payment for NORPLANT, its insertion, and removal.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study
populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
For a copy of the full RFA please contact:
 
Susan F. Newcomer, Ph.D.
Demographic and Behavioral Science Branch
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 611
Bethesda MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1174
FAX:  (301) 496-0962
 
For questions concerning budget and fiscal matters, contact:
 
Metorda Nelson
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 505
Rockville, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5481
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.864, Population Research.  Awards will be made under the
authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title III, Section 301
(Public Law 78-410 as amended; 42 USC 241) and administered under PHS
Grant Policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part
74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental requirements
of Executive Order No. 12372 or to Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R11 END **************************************************************
 
$$R12 BEGIN CA-91-30 FULL-TEXT *****************************************
 
UNDERSTANDING THE MECHANISMS OF HORMONAL CARCINOGENESIS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  CA-91-30
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0760025, 0785140
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  October 1, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  December 12, 1991
 
PURPOSE
 
The Chemical and Physical Carcinogenesis Branch, Division of Cancer
Etiology (DCE), National Cancer Institute (NCI), invites
investigator-initiated research grant applications (R01s) to elucidate
the basic, complex mechanisms of hormonal carcinogenesis.  Included are
the basic mechanisms of steroid hormones, particularly sex hormones, in
the etiology of cancer.  This area of research is in need of an enhanced
level of interaction between endocrinologists, toxicologists,
pharmacologists, biochemists, organic chemists, epidemiologists,
pathologists, and cell and molecular biologists.  New and experienced
investigators in relevant fields and disciplines may apply for funds to
pursue investigations on mechanisms of hormonal carcinogenesis in
experimental animal systems, in vitro and in vivo, and in human tissues
in vitro.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000," a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Request for
Applications (RFA), Understanding the Mechanisms of Hormonal
Carcinogenesis, is related to the priority area of cancer.  Potential
applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00474-0 or Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1)
through the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC 20402-9325, telephone (202) 783-3238.
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic and foreign, for-profit and
non-profit, public and private organizations, such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of state and local governments,
and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.  Applications from
minority individuals and women are encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of
Health (NIH) grant-in-aid (R01).  Applicants will be responsible for the
planning, direction, and execution of the proposed project.  The total
project period for applications submitted in response to this RFA may
not exceed five years.  The earliest feasible start date for the initial
awards will be July 1, 1992.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
$1,500,000 per year for five years will be committed to specifically
fund applications submitted in response to this RFA.  It is anticipated
that seven to ten awards will be made.  This funding level is dependent
upon the receipt of a sufficient number of applications of high
scientific merit.  Although this program is provided for in the
financial plans of the NCI, the award of grants pursuant to this RFA is
contingent upon the availability of funds for this purpose.
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The goals of this initiative are two-fold:  (1) to elucidate basic
mechanisms of steroid hormone action that relate to the possible roles
of hormones, particularly sex hormones, as carcinogens; and (2) to
provide a means to enhance multidisciplinary investigations, including
consortial arrangements.  Research to be funded under this RFA includes,
but is not limited to, studies on:  (1) the hormonal metabolites that
could lead specifically to genetic damage or chromosomal malfunction,
i.e., chromosomal fragmentation, non-disjunction, altered repair
processes, or shifts in DNA methylation states; (2) karyotypic,
cytogenetic, and morphologic changes in models of hormonal
carcinogenesis; (3) the role of androgens, anabolic agents and
progestins in hormonal carcinogenesis in organ sites such as the liver
and mammary gland; (4) establishment of new in vitro experimental models
for studying hormonal carcinogenesis in various understudied organ sites
such as pituitary, testis, and uterus; (5) the role of specific hormones
in the oncogenic process through the use of transgenic animals or gene
transfected cells; and (6) molecular mechanisms of hormonally induced
carcinogenesis, e.g., DNA base sequence changes, genetic or epigenetic
mechanisms.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study
populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applications must be received by close of business December 12, 1991.
The research grant application form PHS 398 (revised 10/88) must be used
in applying for awards under this RFA.  The application package is
available at most institutional business offices; from the Office of
Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of
Health, Westwood Building, Room 449, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, MD
20892, telephone (301) 496-7441; or from the NCI Program Director named
below.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit by October 1, 1991, a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed research,
the name and address of the Principal Investigator, the names of other
key personnel, the participating institutions, and the number and title
of the RFA in response to which the application is being submitted.
Such letters are requested for the purpose of obtaining an indication of
the number and scope of applications to be received.  A letter of intent
is not binding, is not a requirement of submission, and does not enter
into the review of the application.  The letter of intent is to be sent
to:
 
Dr. Lea I. Sekely
Carcinogenesis Mechanisms
Chemical and Physical Carcinogenesis Branch
Division of Cancer Etiology
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Suite 700
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5471
FAX:  (301) 496-1040
 
INQUIRIES
 
This Notice of Availability is an abbreviated version of the RFA.
Copies of the complete RFA and written and telephone inquiries
concerning the objectives and scope of the RFA, and inquiries about
whether or not specific proposed research would be responsive, are
encouraged and are to be directed to Dr. Sekely at the above address.
The Program Director welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues or
questions from potential applicants.
 
Written or telephone inquiries of a budgetary, administrative, and/or
policy nature should be directed to:
 
Ms. Sara Stone
Grants Management Team Leader
Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Suite 243
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7800, Ext. 66
FAX:  (301) 496-8601
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.393, Cancer Cause and Prevention Research.  Awards are made under
the authorization of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A
(Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and 285)
and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42
CFR 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review.
 
$$R12 END **************************************************************
 
$$R13 BEGIN HL-91-08-P FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
EVALUATION OF ADHERENCE INTERVENTIONS IN CLINICAL TRIALS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HL-91-08-P
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755015, 0715040, 0715165, 0715032
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Center for Nursing Research
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  October 1, 1991
Application Receipt Date:   November 19, 1991
 
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) and the National
Center for Nursing Research (NCNR) announce the availability of a
Request for Applications (RFA).  The purpose of this initiative is to
evaluate the effectiveness of intervention strategies designed to
enhance patient adherence in clinical trials of pharmacologic therapies
in the areas of cardiovascular, lung, and blood diseases.  Studies
responsive to this solicitation must systematically compare the effects
of two or more intervention strategies on patient adherence within a
clinical trial, using experimental designs, well-defined measures of
adherence, and comparisons of the cost-effectiveness of the different
strategies tested.  Respondents must demonstrate knowledge of adherence
theory and research and clinical trial methodology and must demonstrate
access to an appropriate clinical trial within which to conduct the
study.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of 'Healthy People 2000,' a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Evaluation of Adherence Interventions in Clinical Trials, is related to
the priority area of heart disease and stroke.  Potential applicants may
obtain a copy of 'Healthy People 2000' (Full Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00474-0) or 'Healthy People 2000' (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001- 00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the cooperative agreement
(UO1).  Although approximately $2.7 million in total costs for this
program is included in the financial plans for fiscal year 1992, award
of grants pursuant to this RFA is contingent upon receipt of funds for
this purpose.  It is anticipated that four grants will be awarded under
this program.  The specific number to be funded, however, will depend on
the merit and scope of the applications received and the availability of
funds.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study
populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
Letter of Intent.  Prospective applicants are asked to submit a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title, names of the Principal and
Co-Investigators, and identify cooperating institutions.  The NIH
requests such letters only for the purpose of providing an indication of
the number and scope of applications to be received and usually does not
acknowledge their receipt.  A letter of intent is not binding, and it
will not enter into the review of any application subsequently
submitted, nor is it a necessary requirement for applications.  This
letter of intent to be received no later than October 1, 1991, is to be
sent to:
 
C. James Scheirer, Ph.D.
Review Branch
Division of Extramural Affairs
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 548
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
INQUIRIES
 
Inquiries regarding this program and requests for the complete RFA
document are to be addressed to any of the program administrators
listed:
 
Susan M. Czajkowski, Ph.D.
Social Science Analyst
Behavioral Medicine Branch, DECA
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 216
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9380
FAX:  (301) 480-2435
 
Sharlene M. Weiss, Ph.D., R.N.
Chief, Health Promotion/Disease Prevention Branch
National Center for Nursing Research
Building 31, Room 5B03
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0523
FAX:  (301) 480-4969
 
Eleanor Schron, M.S., R.N.
Public Health Analyst/Scientific Project Officer
Clinical Trials Branch, DECA
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 5C-10
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-4323
FAX:  (301) 402-0517
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Ms. Jane Davis
Chief, Blood Diseases and Resources Section
Grants Operations Branch, DEA
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 4A-15
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7255
FAX:  (301) 402-1200
 
The programs of the Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Applications,
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, and the National Center for
Nursing Research, are identified in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance, numbers 93.837-93.839 and 93.361, respectively.  Awards will
be made under the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Section
301 (42 U.S. 241) and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal
regulations, most specifically 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This
program is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372, or to a Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R13 END **************************************************************
 
$$R14 BEGIN NIH-NHLBI-HB-92-01 *****************************************
 
MAINTENANCE OF CHIMPANZEES FOR HEPATITIS OR AIDS RESEARCH
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NHLBI-HB-92-01
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 1002002
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) plans to continue
the maintenance of a colony of chimpanzees to be utilized in
nondestructive experiments judged most likely to advance hepatitis or
acquired immune deficiency (AIDS) research.  The chimpanzees are
presently located at the site of the incumbent contractor, the Southwest
Research Foundation for Biomedical Research in San Antonio, Texas.  The
NHLBI colony currently consists of 51 experimental animals (adult and
juvenile).  The contractor shall furnish housing and veterinary medical
support to maintain and feed 51 NHLBI-owned chimpanzees.
 
This is an announcement of the availability of a Request for Proposals
(RFP) that will be available on September 10, 1991.  Proposals are due
October 31, 1991.  One award is anticipated by the Government.  Written
requests for the RFP must include three labels, self-addressed with the
mailing address, and must cite RFP No. NHLBI-HB-92-01.
 
Requests for copies of the RFP are to be sent to:
 
Jack E. Jackson
Contracting Officer
Blood Resources Branch, BDR Contracts Section
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 5C14
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
$$R14 END **************************************************************
 
$$R15 BEGIN DC-92-05 FULL-TEXT *****************************************
 
TRANSPORT OF SUBSTANCES IN THE OLFACTORY SYSTEM
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DC-92-05
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705070, 0710085
 
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Application Receipt Date:  November 27, 1991
 
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
(NIDCD) announces the availability of a Request for Applications (RFA)
for research project grant (R01) applications focused on the transport
of organic and inorganic substances into the peripheral and central
olfactory system and the effects of these substances on the olfactory
system.  Both basic and clinical studies of the olfactory system are
applicable to the present RFA.
 
BACKGROUND
 
The olfactory receptor neurons of the olfactory neuroepithelium are in
direct contact with the external environment, and they are at risk to
potentially harmful infections and toxic agents.  It has been shown that
various organic and inorganic substances can be taken up by the
olfactory receptor neurons and transported by a vigorous axoplasmic
transport system into the olfactory bulb of the brain.  These substances
include dyes, amino acids, colloidal gold, and lectins.  Some of these
substances are transported transneuronally from the bulb into other
parts of the forebrain.  For example, recent studies have demonstrated
that a lectin conjugate (wheat germ agglutinin-horseradish peroxidase)
can be transported from the olfactory nerve to the olfactory bulb and
subsequently to other areas of the forebrain.  In addition, the
olfactory neuroepithelium has been shown to be one of the portals of
entry of neurotropic viruses into the brain.  Certain arboviruses enter
the olfactory bulb through the olfactory nerve and spread to other parts
of the brain.  Herpes simplex virus type 1 has been observed in the
olfactory bulb.  Certain viruses appear more likely to infect the
olfactory neuroepithelium than the respiratory epithelium, whereas the
reverse is true of other viruses.  According to some investigators, the
olfactory deficits expressed in the early stages of a number of
disorders may result from substances that entered the brain through the
olfactory nerve.  Studies of the axoplasmic transport process of the
olfactory nerve also have important implications for improved
pharmacotherapy of the olfactory system.  For example, this transport
system potentially can provide a route for administration of
pharmacotherapeutics to specific targets in the brain, avoiding the
blood-brain barrier, which ordinarily prevents such access.
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The research is to advance the understanding of olfactory mechanisms in
health and disease.  Both basic and clinical studies are applicable to
the purpose of this RFA.  Examples of research areas of interest include
but are not limited to:
 
o For any suspected toxin or pathogen, proof of the causal relationship
to observed findings of damage to the olfactory system.
 
o Neurophysiological and histopathological studies that determine the
localization of the insults within the olfactory system.
 
o Investigations into the molecular mechanisms triggered by insults to
the olfactory system.
 
o Defense mechanisms of the olfactory neuroepithelium against inhaled
substances; xenobiotic metabolism, immune defense, secretions, and
odorant binding proteins; xenobiotic metabolism and glial cells in
olfactory bulb.
 
o Abnormalities of axoplasmic transport in the olfactory nerve.
 
o Retrograde transport in the olfactory nerve.
 
o Active and passive mechanisms of uptake of substances into the
olfactory neuroepithelium.
 
o Comparison of effects of pathogens on olfactory and nasal trigeminal
nerves.
 
o Interactions between olfactory nerve and brain tissue.
 
o Transneuronal transport of substances from olfactory bulb to other
parts of the forebrain.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included or adequately
represented in the study population for clinical studies, a specific
justification for this exclusion or inadequate representation must be
provided.  Applications without such documentation will not be accepted
for review.
 
MECHANISM FOR SUPPORT
 
This RFA will use the National Institutes of Health (NIH) individual
research project grant (R01).  Applicants will be responsible for the
planning, direction, and execution of the proposed project.  All policy
requirements that govern the grant programs of the Public Health
Services apply.  Up to three meritorious applications will be funded.
The earliest possible start date for the initial award will be July 1,
1992.  Funding for these grants beyond the initial period will be
subject to competitive renewal.
 
Applicants from institutions that have a General Clinical Research
Center (GCRC) funded by the NIH National Center for Research Resources
may wish to identify the GCRC as a resource for conducting the proposed
research.  In such a case, a letter of agreement from either the GCRC
program director or Principal Investigator may be included with the
application.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES AND CRITERIA
 
Applications will be evaluated by Institute staff to determine
responsiveness to the RFA.  Responsive applications will be evaluated
for scientific/technical merit as stated in form PHS 398 by a review
committee convened by the Scientific Review Branch of NIDCD solely for
this purpose.  A second level review will be by the National Deafness
and Other Communication Disorders Advisory Council.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit by October 25, 1991, a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed application,
the name, address, and telephone number of the Principal Investigator,
the names of other key personnel, the participating institutions, and
the number or title of this RFA.
 
Although a letter of intent is not required, is not binding, and does
not enter into the review of subsequent applications, the information
that it contains is extremely helpful in planning for the review of
applications.  It allows Institute staff to estimate the potential
review workload and to avoid possible conflict of interest in the
review.
 
The letter of intent is to be sent to Dr. Jack Pearl at the address
below.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
The RFA, which contains important information for the applicant, may be
obtained from the Program Administrator listed below.  Applications must
be submitted on form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88) using the instructions
included in the application kit.  These kits are available from the
NIDCD Program Administrator (address cited below) and from the Division
of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, Westwood Building,
Room 449, Bethesda, MD 20892, telephone (301) 496-7441.
 
On page 1 of form PHS 398, check "yes" in item 2 and type:  DC-92-05,
Transport of Substances in the Olfactory System.
 
The RFA label available in the 10/88 revision of application form PHS
398 must be affixed to the bottom of the face page.  Failure to use this
label could result in delayed processing of the application such that it
may not reach the review comittee in time for review.
 
Send the original and four copies of the application to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
To expedite the review, send two copies of the application to:
 
Dr. Earleen Elkins
Chief, Scientific Review Branch
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza South, Room 400-B
6120 Executive Boulevard
Rockville, MD  20892
 
INQUIRIES
 
The complete RFA describing the research goals and scope, the review
criteria, and other application requirements may be obtained from the E-
Guide and from:
 
Jack Pearl, Ph.D.
Program Administrator
Division of Communication Sciences and Disorders
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Executive Plaza South, Room 446
6120 Executive Boulevard
Rockville, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5061
FAX:  (301) 402-6251
 
For questions concerning budget and fiscal matters, contact:
 
Sharon Hunt
Grants Management Officer
Division of Extramural Activities
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Executive Plaza South, Room 400-B
6120 Executive Blvd.
Rockville, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0909
FAX:  (301) 402-6251
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.173, Research Related to Deafness and Communication Disorders.
Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service
Act, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and
administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR
Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  The program is not subject to review by a
Health Systems Agency or Executive Order 12372.

 
$$R15 END **************************************************************
 
$$R16 BEGIN CA-91-28 FULL-TEXT *****************************************
 
VACCINES FOR HUMAN CANCERS OF VIRAL ETIOLOGY
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  CA-91-28
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0740075, 0715035, 1002045, 0785140
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  October 11, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  December 11, 1991
 
PURPOSE
 
Cancer continues to be a leading cause of death, and it has been
estimated that approximately 500,000 people will die of cancer in the
United States in 1991.  Vaccines, which could either prevent the initial
development of cancer or function therapeutically to prevent the spread
or recurrence of a tumor that has been treated, should have a
significant impact in reducing cancer morbidity and mortality.
 
The overall thrust of this Request for Applications (RFA) is to
stimulate basic and applied research leading to the development of
vaccines for human cancers of known, or strongly suspected, viral
etiology, including cancers associated with human papillomaviruses
(HPVs), Epstein-Barr viruses (EBV), and hepatitis C virus (HCV).
Identification of protective viral or viral-induced antigens that form
the basis for vaccine preparation, development of animal models to
determine host immune response to viral-induced tumors and to test the
safety and efficacy of proposed vaccines, and the development of
prototype therapeutic vaccines for viruses whose malignant sequelae
occur as the result of chronic infection are all encouraged.
Applications will not be accepted that propose research on the hepatitis
B virus, the human T-cell lymphotropic viruses (HTLV-1, HTLV-2), human
immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1, HIV-2), or animal models for any of these
latter agents.
 
The present RFA is for a single competition with a deadline of December
11, 1991, for receipt of applications and October 11, 1991, for receipt
of optional letters of intent.  Applications must be prepared and
submitted in accordance with the aims and requirements described in the
RFA.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000," a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Vaccines for Human Cancers of Viral Etiology, is related to the priority
area of cancer.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy
People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy
People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington,
D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Non-profit and for-profit organizations and institutions, governments
and their agencies are eligible to apply.  Foreign institutions are also
eligible.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of
Health (NIH) grant-in-aid (RO1).  Applicants will be responsible for the
planning, direction, and execution of the proposed project.  Except as
otherwise stated in this RFA, awards will be administered under PHS
grants policy as stated in the Public Health Service Grants Policy
Statement, DHHS Publication No. (OASH) 90-50,000, revised October 1,
1990.
 
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Generally, future unsolicited
competitive continuation applications will compete with all
investigator-initiated applications and be reviewed by the Division of
Research Grants (DRG).  However, if the NCI determines that there is a
sufficient continuing program need, a request for competitive
continuation applications will be announced.  The total project period
for applications submitted in response to this RFA may not exceed four
years.  The earliest feasible start date for the initial awards will be
July 1992.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
Approximately $2,000,000 in total costs per year for four years will be
committed specifically to fund applications submitted in response to
this RFA.  It is anticipated that eight to ten awards will be made.
Although this program is provided for in the financial plans of the
National Cancer Institute (NCI), the award of grants pursuant to this
RFA is also contingent upon the availability of funds for this purpose.
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The overall thrust of this RFA is to stimulate basic and applied
research leading to the development of vaccines for human cancers of
known, or strongly suspected, viral etiology, including cancers
associated with HPVs, EBV, and HCV.  Examples of research on HPVs
include:  (1) determining whether polyvalent vaccines are necessary for
the prevention of cancer caused by multiple HPV types; (2) development
of animal models of infection and oncogenesis and development of
bioassays for infectious virus.  Examples of research objectives for EBV
include:  (1) studies of the pathogenesis of EBV-induced lymphomas in
the severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID) mouse, and the use of immune
reconstitution by selected human lymphocyte populations to control the
lymphomas; (2) development and assessment of Epstein-Barr viral mutants
and their use as inactivated vaccines for cancer.  Examples of research
objectives for HCV include:  (1) development and/or use of sensitive and
specific assays for blood-borne HCV to determine the etiologic role of
this agent in primary hepatocellular carcinoma; (2) studies of
pathogenesis of HCV infections and determinants of oncogenesis.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in study
populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
The RFA contains important information and should be read before
applying.  The most recent revision of the research grant application
form PHS 389 (rev. 10/88) must be used to apply for these grants.
These forms are available at most institutional business offices; from
the Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, National
Institutes of Health, Room 449, Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard Avenue,
Bethesda, MD 20892, telephone (301) 496-7441; and from the NCI Program
Director named below.  Applications must be received by December 11,
1991.  If an application is received after that date, it will be
returned.  If the application submitted in response to this RFA is
substantially similar to a research grant application already submitted
to the NIH for review, but has not yet been reviewed, the applicant will
be asked to withdraw either the pending application or the new one.
Simultaneous submission of identical applications will not be allowed,
nor will essentially identical applications be reviewed by different
review committees.  Therefore, an application cannot be submitted in
response to this RFA that is essentially identical to one that has
already been reviewed.  This does not preclude the submission of
substantial revisions of applications already reviewed, but such
applications must include an introduction addressing the previous
critique.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit by October 11, 1991, a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed research,
the name and address of the Principal Investigator, the names of other
key personnel, the participating institutions, and the number and title
of the RFA in response to which the application is being submitted.
 
The letter of intent is to be sent to:
 
Dr. Jack Gruber
Chief, Biological Carcinogenesis Branch
Division of Cancer Etiology
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Room 540
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9740
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone requests for the RFA and inquiries concerning the
objectives and scope of the RFA and whether or not specific proposed
research would be responsive are encouraged and are to be directed to
Dr. Gruber at the above address.  Telephone communications specifically
relating to proposed studies of the hepatitis C virus are to be directed
to Dr. John S. Cole, III, (301) 496-1718.  Inquiries about
investigations of human papillomaviruses are to be directed to Dr. Tom
Nightingale, (301) 496-1953.  Questions on Epstein-Barr virus studies
are to be directed to Dr. Gretchen Hascall, (301) 496-4533.  The Program
Directors welcome the opportunity to clarify any issues or questions
from potential applicants.
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Ms. Sara Stone
Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Suite 243
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7800, extension 66
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
Number 93.393, Cancer Cause and Prevention Research.  Awards are made
under the authorization of the Public Health Service Act, 301 (c) and
410, Public Law 78-410, as amended, 42 U.S.C. 241; Small Business
Innovation Development Act of 1982, as amended, Public Law 97-219;
Public Law 99-158, 42 U.S.C. 285, Public Law 99-500, and Report 99-711
to accompany H.R. 5233 and administered under PHS grants policies and
Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is
not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive
Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R16 END **************************************************************
 
$$R17 BEGIN AG/AM-91-11 FULL-TEXT **************************************
 
USE OF TROPHIC FACTORS IN PREVENTING PHYSICAL FRAILTY
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  AG/AM-91-11
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710010, 0760020, 0760025, 0715136, 0715010
 
National Institute on Aging
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  November 1, 1991
Application Receipt Date:   January 15, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute on Aging (NIA) and the National Institute of
Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) annouce the
availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) for exploration of the
potential for use of trophic factors in the prevention of physical
frailty among older persons.  The acquisition of new knowledge
concerning the effects of growth factors, anabolic hormones, and
pharmacologic trophic agents on prevention and treatment of conditions
responsible for impaired strength, mobility, balance, and endurance in
older persons is the goal of this solicitation.
 
The role of growth factors, anabolic hormones, and pharmacologic trophic
agents in the prevention or treatment of conditions responsible for
physical frailty (disabling impairments in strength, mobility, balance,
and endurance) deserves increased attention.  This field has progressed
to the point at which preliminary clinical studies are possible in many
cases in addition to continued basic studies.  The potential impact of
such factors on increasing muscle strength and mobility, preventing
osteoporosis and osteoarthritis, and improving the healing of fractures,
leg ulcers, and decubiti are among the most promising benefits that may
result in and lead to significant improvements in the health of older
persons.  Because the frail older population has a very high proportion
of women, there is a particular need to determine the effects of gender
on the actions of trophic factors in older persons.  In addition, more
knowledge is needed on the potential role of ovarian hormonal
replacement therapy in countering degenerative conditions responsible
for frailty.  This RFA solicits research on the effects of trophic
factors in preventing or reversing processes or conditions responsible
for physical frailty.  Inclusion of ancillary studies to determine
mechanisms responsible for tissue responsiveness or nonresponsiveness is
strongly encouraged.  All applications must include studies on human
subjects, but additional laboratory animal studies or in vitro studies
may also be included if appropriate (e.g., for tests not feasible in
humans).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic and foreign, for-profit and
nonprofit, organizations, either public or private, such as
universities, colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local
governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.
Applications from minority individuals and women are encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the Public Health Service
grant-in-aid.  Only the RO1 grant mechanism may be used.  Awards will be
administered under PHS grants policy as stated in the Public Health
Service Grants Policy Statement, DHHS Publication No. (OASH) 90-50,000,
revised October 1, 1990.  This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Future
unsolicited competing renewal applications will compete with all
investigator-initiated applications and be reviewed by the Division of
Research Grants.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Up to $2.5 million (total cost)
for first-year expenses, and additional approved expenses for up to five
years, will be committed to fund applications submitted in response to
this RFA.  This funding level is dependent on the receipt of a
sufficient number of applications of high scientific merit.  It is
anticipated that approximately ten awards will be made.  The NIAMS is
expected to award up to $500,000 for one or two applications that
receive primary assignment to NIAMS.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
Specific topics of interest include:
 
o The role of replacement therapy with hormones and other trophic
factors (such as growth hormone, IGF-1, testosterone, or estrogens) or
pharmacologic agents with trophic effects, in preventing or reversing
atrophic or dystrophic degenerative changes responsible for conditions
such as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, loss of muscle mass, and others.
 
o Effects of interventions that may increase endogenous levels of
trophic factors (e.g., administration of pharmacologic agents, pituitary
or hypothalamic factors, or exercise and other lifestyle factors that
may affect production of trophic factors) in older persons.
 
o The role of local tissue factors in modulating degenerative or
atrophic changes in bone, muscle, and cartilage in older persons.  o
Studies on factors that may accelerate healing of wounds, fractures,
pressure sores, and other ulcerative skin conditions in older persons.
 
o Effects of age-related physiologic changes and age- related diseases
on responses to trophic factors, including studies of mechanisms
mediating these effects.
 
o Systemic effects of trophic factor administration (e.g., on
cardiovascular function, metabolism, renal function, pulmonary function,
immune function) in older persons.
 
STUDY POPULATIONS
 
It is NIH policy that women and minorities must be included in clinical
study populations unless there is a good reason to exclude them, and the
study design must seek to identify any pertinent gender or minority
population differences.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study
populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications that fail to comply with this
policy will be returned without review.  Gender and racial/ethnic issues
should be addressed in developing a research design and sample size
appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
A copy of the full RFA may be obtained from Stanley L. Slater, M.D.
(address below).
 
The application receipt date is January 15, 1992.  Information about
application procedures may be obtained from the Division of Research
Grants, telephone (301) 496-7441.  Applications will be received by the
NIH Division of Research Grants.  Applications will be assigned to a
special review group organized by NIA.  Following this review,
applications will be considered by the assigned Institute national
advisory countil.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
A letter of intent to submit an application, while not required, is
requested by November 1, 1991.  This letter is to be sent to Stanley L.
Slater, M.D. (address below).  The letter of intent is to include a
descriptive title, the name and address of the Principal Investigator
and any other participating institutions.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning this RFA are encouraged.  The
opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from potential applicants
is welcome.
 
Direct inquiries for the NIA regarding programmatic issues to:
 
Stanley L. Slater, M.D.
Geriatrics Program
National Institutes of Health
National Institute on Aging
Building 31, Room 5C27
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6761
 
Direct inquiries for the NIAMS regarding programmatic issues to:
 
Dr. Stephen L. Gordon
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
5333 Westbard Avenue
Room 407
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7326
 
Direct inquiries for the NIA regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Barbara Cunningham
Grants and Contracts Management Office
National Institutes of Health
National Institute on Aging
Building 31, Room 5C07
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1472
 
Direct inquiries for the NIAMS regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Ms. G. Carol Clearfield
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
5333 Westbard Avenue
Room 403
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6529
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.866.  Awards are made under authorization of the Public Health
Service Act, Title IV, Part A (Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public
Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and 285) and administered under PHS grants
policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This
program is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.

$$R17 END **************************************************************
 
$$R18 BEGIN AI-91-14 FULL-TEXT *****************************************
 
PROGRAM PROJECTS IN TRANSPLANTATION IMMUNOLOGY
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  AI-91-14
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0745065, 0710125, 0710065
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  October 25, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  February 11, 1992
 
BACKGROUND INFORMATION
 
The Genetics and Transplantation Branch of the Division of Allergy,
Immunology and Transplantation of the National Institute of Allergy and
Infectious Diseases (NIAID) supports fundamental studies and applied
research in immunogenetics and transplantation immunology.  Program
Projects in Transplantation Immunology are intended to stimulate
collaboration between transplant clinicians and basic immunologists to
evaluate the immune response to organ allografts, elucidate the
important cellular and molecular events of both the induction and
effector phases of the alloimmune response and to develop improved
therapeutic procedures to ensure long-term graft survival.  This notice
announces the availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) that
encourages the development of applications from collaborating
investigators and to coordinate the submission and review of program
project applications.  The RFA may be obtained from the contact listed
below.
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
Applications must heavily emphasize collaboration in research between
transplant clinicians and immunologists, and the application of the most
up-to-date concepts and techniques of immunology to the evaluation of
the immune system of recipients in all circumstances attendant to the
transplantation.  The application must describe a multidisciplinary
research program that has a well-defined central research focus or
objective.  As with other program projects, the individual projects of
which they consist must be interrelated, all contributing to the program
objective.
 
The major objective of the research is to elucidate methods to induce
long- term organ graft survival by manipulation of the immune system to
induce specific tolerance.  Specifically, must should involve the
characterization of the status of the immune system, specifically the
immunoregulatory balance, including studies (1) prior to transplantation
in its "normal" state or, if the transplant is occasioned by a
disturbance of the immune state, in the causative disordered state; (2)
in the course of transplant preparation, which consists of the induction
of tolerance; (3) postoperatively during maintenance immunosuppression
as the graft becomes established; (4) during rejection episodes; and/or
(5) during treatment of rejection.  Also, studies on the modulation of
immunological activity using the information obtained from the above
studies are advantageous.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
The following is a brief statement of the NIH and ADAMHA policy
regarding the inclusion of women and minorities in study populations.
The inclusion of women and minorities must be addressed in applications
submitted in response to this RFA.
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included or adequately
represented in the study populations for clinical studies, a specific
justification must be provided.  Applications without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Program project (P01) grants are awarded to an institution on behalf of
a Principal Investigator for the support of a broadly based,
multidisciplinary, long-term research program with a specific major goal
or basic theme.  A program project generally involves the organized
efforts of groups of investigators who conduct research projects related
to the overall program goal.  The grant can provide support for the
projects and for certain basic resources shared by individuals in the
program project if sharing facilitates the total research effort.  Each
project supported by a program project grant is expected to contribute
to and be directly related to the common theme of the program.  The
projects, under the direction of a project leader, must demonstrate an
essential element of unity and interdependence.  In Fiscal Year 1992,
the NIAID plans to award at least two program project grants submitted
in response to this RFA and, depending on availability of funds and
scientific merit, more than two.  First-year budget requests must be
limited to no more than $500,000 direct costs.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
ONLY DOMESTIC INSTITUTIONS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY.  Applications may be
submitted by any public or private, nonprofit or profit-making,
organizations.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit by October 25, 1991, a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title of the overall proposed
research, the name of the Principal Investigator, and a list of the
names of key investigators and their institution(s).  The letter of
intent is requested in order to provide an indication of the number and
scope of applications to be reviewed so as to allow early preparations
for review.  The letter of intent is not binding and does not commit the
sender to submit an application, nor is it a requirement for submission
of an application.  Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact Dr.
Stephen Rose prior to preparing an application.
 
The letter of intent is to be sent to Dr. Mark Rohrbaugh and a copy to
Dr. Stephen Rose at the addresses noted below.
 
Before preparing an application, the prospective applicant may request a
copy of the NIAID Information Brochure on Program Project and Center
Grants from:
 
Mark L. Rohrbaugh, Ph.D.
Scientific Review Administrator
NIAID/PPRB
Control Data Building, Room 406-S
6003 Executive Boulevard
Bethesda, MD  20892 (20852 if using overnight delivery services)
Telephone:  (301) 496-8424
 
STAFF CONTACT
 
The RFA contains important information for applicants and may be
obtained from:
 
Stephen M. Rose, Ph.D.
Chief, Genetics and Transplantation Branch
Division of Allergy, Immunology and Transplantation
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
National Institutes of Health
5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 754
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5598
Telefax:  (301) 402-0175
 
Inquiries regarding fiscal matters may be addressed to:
 
Mr. Jeffrey Carow
Chief, Immunology Grants Management Section
GMB, DEA, NIAID, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 726
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7075
 
and
 
Ms. Marietta Robinson
Grants Management Specialist
GMB, DEA, NIAID, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 706
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7075
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.855, Immunology, Allergic and Immunologic Diseases Research.
Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service
Act, Title III, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241)
and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulation 42 CFR
Part 74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.

$$R18 END **************************************************************
 
$$R19 BEGIN HD-92-01 FULL-TEXT *****************************************
 
SPECIALIZED RESEARCH CENTER PROGRAMS AND CENTER CORE GRANTS TO SUPPORT
RESEARCH IN REPRODUCTION
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HD-92-01
 
P.T. 04; K.W. 0413002, 0710110, 0710115, 0710030
 
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  January 1, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  May 15, 1992
 
The Reproductive Sciences Branch (RSB), Center for Population Research
(CPR), National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD),
supports research on reproduction that relies on a variety of approaches
in biomedical sciences.  Among the grant mechanisms used to provide
research support, the RSB uses:
 
(1) Specialized Research Centers (P50s) that are integrated groups of
research projects and supporting core service facilities.  The research
activities included in such project grants must comprise, by definition,
a multidisciplinary approach to biomedical problems in reproduction.
Although these research programs may have more than one theme, focus, or
emphasis, all of the projects must be responsive to one or more of the
specific areas of reproductive research that constitute the mission of
the RSB, CPR, NICHD.
 
(2) Center Core Grants (P30s) that support Center Core facilities
designed to enhance existing federally supported research projects
within the purview of the RSB, CPR, NICHD.  Such Center awards require a
critical mass of individual, reproductive-oriented awards whose
productivity and quality would be increased by support from central
technical facilities.
 
At present, the RSB supports a fixed number of centers with a commitment
of five years of support that is competitively renewable for additional
five-year periods.  Support for one P50 Center and two P30 Centers ends
in FY 1993, and it is anticipated that these Centers will submit renewal
applications.  Although there are no new Center awards available at this
time, new groups of investigators are invited to compete with the
current awardees for the existing three awards.
 
Potential applicants must contact the RSB staff for the Request for
Applications and for further information regarding reproductive sciences
center grants (P50s and P30s).  It is strongly recommended, but not
mandatory, that potential applicants send a letter of intent to the RSB
staff at the address listed below by January 2, 1992.  This letter is to
include a list of the titles of the relevant research projects to be
associated with it, and provide the names of the relevant key
investigators and any other participating institutions.  The letter of
intent is to be received by the RSB no later than January 2, 1992, but
applicants are encouraged to send it as soon as they decide to apply for
the grant so that the RSB staff can be of maximum assistance in the
application process.  Center grant applications must be structured in
accord with policy and formatting guidelines presented in the
publications entitled "P50 Specialized Research Center Grant Guidelines"
and "P30 Center Core Grant Guidelines" that are available from the NICHD
office listed below.  Such guidelines require, for example, certain
tabulations in addition to the usual instructions for the grant
application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88) used to prepare these
applications.  The current policies and requirements that govern the
research grant programs of NIH will prevail (Code of Federal
Regulations, Title 42, Part 52 and Title 45, Part 75).  Applications
prepared for this competition may not propose multi-institutional
consortiums.
 
Although this solicitation is included in the plans for FY 1993, support
for these center grants is contingent upon the receipt of funds for
these purposes by the NICHD.  The number of grants to be awarded is also
contingent upon a sufficient number of applications receiving a high
enough level of merit to be considered for an award.  It is expected
that up to three awards will be made as a result of this announcement.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in study
populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the study
populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such documentation
will not be accepted for review.
 
New Specialized Research Center Grant (P50) applications may not request
more than $600,000 in direct costs for the first year.  New Center Core
Grant (P30) applications may not request more than $500,000 in direct
costs for the first year.  Renewal applications from existing P30 or P50
centers may not request initial year direct costs exceeding 120 percent
of the Council recommended direct costs for the final year of the
preceding project period.  Unless prior written approval of the NICHD
has been obtained, applications with requests exceeding these guidelines
will be administratively withdrawn by the NICHD and returned to the
applicant.
 
For further information and a copy of the full RFA, contact:
 
Julia Lobotsky, M.S.
Reproductive Sciences Branch
Center for Population Research
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza North, Suite 603
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6515
 
To obtain copies of the NICHD Policy and Formatting Guidelines for P30
and P50 center grant applications, contact:
 
Laurance Johnston, Ph.D.
Scientific Review Program
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza North, Suite 520
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1696
 
For information on budget and fiscal matters, contact:
 
Melinda Nelson
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 505
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5481
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.864, Population Research.  Awards will be made under the
authority of the Public Health Service Act 301 (42 USC 241) and 441 (USC
289d) and administered under PHS Grants Policies and Federal Regulations
42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to A-95
or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R19 END **************************************************************
 
                                       ERRATUM
 
$$E1 BEGIN R2 19910524 APPEND RFA CA-91-16 BOTH ************************
 
NEW THERAPEUTIC APPROACHES TO THE TREATMENT OF PROSTATE CANCER
 
RFA:  CA-91-16
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0745070
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Application Receipt Date:  October 15, 1991
 
The Division of Cancer Treatment of the National Cancer Institute would
like to amend Request for Applications (RFA) CA-91-16 titled "New
Therapeutic Approaches to the Treatment of Prostate Cancer" published
(in full RFA) May 24, 1991, Vol.20, No. 20.  The statement under the
"Research Goals and Scope" addressing potential racial differences in
clinical and laboratory parameters is corrected to read:
 
"Analysis of potential racial differences in clinical and laboratory
parameters must be considered, where relevant and feasible."
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and scope of
this RFA and inquiries about whether or not specific proposed research
would be responsive are encouraged and are to be directed to:
 
Ms. Diane Bronzert
Program Director
Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program
Division of Cancer Treatment
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Room 734
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8866
FAX:  (301) 480-4663
 
$$E1 END ***************************************************************
 
                            ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-91-86 ****************************************************
 
ACADEMIC AWARD IN SYSTEMIC AND PULMONARY VASCULAR DISEASE
 
PA:  PA-91-86
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705015, 0705065, 0715165, 0715135, 0715115
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  October 14, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  December 9, 1991
 
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) announces the
second competition for an Academic Award in Systemic and Pulmonary
Vascular Disease.  Copies of the Program Guidelines are currently
available from staff of the NHLBI.
 
OBJECTIVES OF THE AWARD
 
(1) To stimulate the development and coordination of clinical,
educational, and research programs in schools of medicine or osteopathy
directed toward enhancement of diagnostic and therapeutic skills in the
clinical management of patients with a wide variety of vascular
diseases;
 
(2) to promote professional development of the awardee, where needed, so
that he/she can serve as the focal point for multidisciplinary
interactions promoting effectiveness in clinical care, teaching, and
research in the field of vascular medicine; and
 
(3) to enable the grantee institution to continue clinical, educational,
and research programs in vascular medicine once the award is concluded.
 
For the purposes of this award, vascular medicine is defined as the
clinical discipline that has as its objectives:  the clinical
characterization of vascular diseases (arterial, venous, lymphatic,
cerebral, coronary, pulmonary, aortic, renal, and peripheral), the
pathogeneses of these diseases (including atherosclerosis, lipid
metabolic disorders, systemic and pulmonary hypertension, lymphedema,
thrombosis, vasculitis, and vasospastic disorders), and the diagnostic,
therapeutic, and preventive approaches to these diseases.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Each school of medicine or osteopathy in the United States and its
possessions or territories is eligible to compete for a nonrenewable
Academic Award in Systemic and Pulmonary Vascular Disease for a project
period that does not exceed five years.  The awardee must hold the M.D.
or D.O. degree or their equivalent.  Women and minority applicants are
encouraged to apply.  Only one application per institution will be
accepted for review for a given receipt date.
 
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
 
Subject to the availability of funds and consonant with the objectives
of the Academic Award in Systemic and Pulmonary Vascular Disease, the
NHLBI will provide support for a project period of five years.  An
average total (direct plus indirect) cost per award is anticipated to be
about $150,000; however, this figure may vary according to the needs of
each institution.  Awards will be limited to one for each eligible
school and are not renewable.  The award may provide funds for salaries,
travel, supplies, equipment, consultant fees, fringe benefits, and
indirect costs under the terms and conditions explained in the
guidelines for this award.
 
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
 
The initial review of applications will be by a special review committee
managed by the Division of Extramural Affairs, NHLBI, composed of
predominantly non-Federal scientists with expertise in various areas of
vascular disease.  Prospective awardees whose applications are
determined to be competitive will be invited for an interview in
Bethesda, Maryland.  Travel expenses for this interview must be paid by
the applicant institution.