Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(41) 11/01/91 - P2/2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 91 14:26 EST

Hi Paul,
   # 2 for posting to the NIH Listserver.  Please post as:
       NIHGUIDE2.911101
                       Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19911101 V20N41 P2O2 ************************************
amended by Public Law 99- 158, 42 USC 241 and 285) and administered
under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR 52 and 45
CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental
review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency
review.
 
$$R6 END ************************************************************
 
$$R7 BEGIN DK-92-08 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
GENETICS AND KIDNEY MATURATION, WITH AN EMPHASIS ON POLYCYSTIC KIDNEY
DISEASE
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  DK-92-08
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002019, 1002027, 1002004, 1002008, 0710075, 0785095
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  December 16, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  January 22, 1992
 
The Division of Kidney, Urologic and Hematologic Diseases (DKUHD) of
the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
(NIDDK) announces the availability of a Request for Applications
(RFA) on the above subject.  The mechanism of support will be limited
to the investigator-initiated research grants (R01) funding
mechanism.
 
BACKGROUND
 
The cross-fertilization of the disciplines of genetics and molecular
biology, cell chemistry and biology, immunology, physiology,
microbiology, and pathology have resulted in new and extremely useful
experimental tools that allow scientists to address and seek answers
to questions at a fundamental level.  The regulation of cellular
growth is one of the most exciting areas of kidney research.
Investigators and researchers have identified several growth factors
and determined their exact chemical composition.  The powerful tools
of molecular biology (e.g., polymerase chain reaction and in situ
hybridization techniques) offer further promise for expanding our
knowledge about the regulatory genes that control differentiation and
encode the signals that establish the precise topographical patterns
essential to the function of the fully developed kidney.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of Healthy People 2000, a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Genetics and Kidney Maturation, with an Emphasis on Polycystic Kidney
Disease, is related to the priority area of diabetes and chronic
disabling conditions.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of
"Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or
"Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1)
through the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
This special initiative will support fundamental research, with an
emphasis on fostering collaboration among the basic sciences,
including biochemistry, cell biology, embryology, endocrinology,
molecular biology, genetics, nutrition, pathology, pharmacology,
renal physiology, and pathophysiology.  The intent of this
solicitation is to engage investigators with diverse research
interests who wish to apply their technologies and expertise in
elucidating and extending the current understanding of the genetic
aspects of kidney disease and the cellular and integrated mechanisms
in the developing kidney.
 
The following are some suggested directions that might be taken to
achieve the objectives of this solicitation:
 
o  Basic studies on the physiology and pathophysiology of the
developing normal and genetically-affected kidney.
 
o  Assessment of function of the developing kidney, both normal and
genetically affected by:  (a) developing new methodology that could
detect abnormal renal function at an earlier stage, than possible
using the existing methodology; and (b) assessing and comparing
endocrine function of the normal and genetically impaired developing
kidney.
 
o  Research on genetic or developmental disorders of the kidney,
including the pathophysiology of kidney diseases that develop in the
pediatric age group and may become clinically evident in adolescence
and adulthood. Examples include, polycystic kidney and other cystic
diseases, renal dysplasias or hypoplasias, congenital nephrotic
syndrome, and congenital obstructive nephropathy or uropathy, and
diseases more prevalent in minority populations.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Research grant applications may be submitted by domestic and foreign,
non-profit and profit-making organizations and institutions, State
and local governments and their agencies, and eligible agencies of
the Federal Government.  Applications from women and minorities are
encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The mechanism of support for this program will be the traditional
research grant (R01). The regulations (Code of Federal Regulation,
Title 42, Part 52 and, as applicable to the State and local
governments, Title 45, Part 74) and policies that govern the research
programs of the National Institutes of Health will prevail.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
For FY 1992, $2.0 million in total costs per year will be committed
to fund applications submitted in response to this RFA.  It is
anticipated that 10 to 12 awards will be made.  In order to help meet
NIDDK goals for managing the costs of biomedical research, applicants
must limit their requests to not more than $160,000 in direct costs
for the first year.  The earliest award date will be July 1, 1992.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations of clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
ocumentation will not be accepted for review.
 
APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications must be submitted using Form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88),
"Application for Public Health Service Grant", available in the
business or grants office of most academic or research institutions,
and from the Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants,
National Institutes of Health, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 449,
Bethesda, MD 20892, telephone 301/496-7441.
 
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for
receipt of applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.
Applications in response to this RFA will first be reviewed for
scientific and technical merit by an Initial Review Group (IRG)
convened by the Division of Research Grants.  A secondary review for
policy and program relevance to the mission of the National Institute
of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases will be provided by its
Advisory Council.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are encouraged to submit an optional letter of
intent, that includes the title of the proposed project and
identification of all participating institutions.  Such letters are
requested only for the purpose of obtaining an indication of the
number and scope of applications to be received.  A letter of intent
is not binding, and it will not enter into the review of the
application subsequently submitted.  This letter is to be received no
later than December 16, 1991, and is to be sent to:
 
Chief, Review Branch
National Institute of Diabetes and
Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Bldg., Room 406
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
INQUIRIES
 
It is essential that prospective applicants obtain the RFA prior to
developing an application.  The RFA can be obtained from:
 
M. James Scherbenske, Ph.D.
Program Director, Renal Physiology/Cell Biology, DKUHD
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Bldg., Room 3A-04A
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7458
 
Gladys H. Hirschman, M.D.
Program Director, Chronic Renal Diseases, DKUHD
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Bldg., Room 3A-07B
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8218
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.849.  Awards are made under authorization of the
Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A (Public Law 78-410, as
amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and 285) and administered
under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR 52 and 45
CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental
review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency
Review.
 
$$R7 END ************************************************************
 
                     ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
$$P1 BEGIN PA-92-16 *************************************************
 
STUDIES ON THE MEDICAL AND HEALTH CONSEQUENCES OF DRUG ABUSE
 
PA:  PA-92-16
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404009, 0715006, 0755030, 0715129
 
National Institute on Drug Abuse
 
PURPOSE
 
The purpose of this announcement is to stimulate research on the role
of drug abuse in the etiology and progression of medical, including
psychiatric, disorders.  Research on the relationship between drug
abuse and broader health issues is also solicited.  Epidemiological,
clinical, human laboratory based, and animal studies are encouraged.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of Healthy People 2000, a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Program
Announcement, Studies on the Medical and Health Consequences of Drug
Abuse, is primarily related to the priority area of alcohol and other
drugs.  Potential applicants may obtain a copy of Healthy People 2000
(Full Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0, or Summary Report:  Stock
No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents,
Government Printing Office, Washington, DC  20402-9325 (Telephone
202-783-3238).
 
BACKGROUND
 
Drug abuse has been linked with a number of medical disorders.  These
may arise either through the direct mechanisms of cytopathic effects
of intoxication, withdrawal, or long-term exposure or through the
indirect mechanisms of increased exposure to pathogens, toxins,
carcinogens, or other dangers due to the behavioral alterations
associated with drug abuse.  Some infectious sequelae of drug abuse,
Hepatitis B and HIV, are well known, but evidence also supports a
number of other medical disorders arising from drug abuse.  These
include psychiatric disturbance, cancers, trauma, cardiovascular
events, endocrine dysfunction, and alterations of normal child
development, for example.  Studying specific drug-outcome
relationships is important, but it is also fruitful to study drug
abuse as an entity relatively independent of specific substances
because of (1) poly-drug abuse, (2) events related to mode of abuse
independent of the drug (e.g., injection), and (3) changes in drugs
of choice while other variables remain constant (e.g., biological
substrate, modes of administration).
 
Primary care physicians may not aggressively pursue substance abuse
as an underlying etiology.  There is evidence that  despite growing
awareness of alcohol abuse in general, physicians are actually
attending less to assessing the possibility of alcohol abuse in their
patients than they did a decade ago.  Coordination between drug abuse
treatment programs and primary care resources is lacking, and the
AIDS crisis makes this lack even more significant.  Research on
determining and treating drug abuse related medical conditions is
sorely needed.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The major objectives of this Program Announcement are to stimulate
research in the drug-related etiology and progression of medical
disorders, including psychiatric disease, and to stimulate studies of
the application of such knowledge to clinical situations.
Epidemiological, controlled population, and animal studies are
encouraged, and these must attempt to isolate direct mechanisms from
indirect effects whenever possible.  Thus, study designs must address
the total picture of risk factors for medical conditions in drug
abusers including:  (1) genetic/biologic predispositions; (2) in-
utero exposure, e.g., cocaine, alcohol, and other drugs of abuse; (3)
demographic and behavioral variables; and (4) life history of
exposure to pathogens and non-drug related factors.  It is further
recognized that either a history of drug abuse or ongoing drug abuse
may have both direct and indirect effects on the natural history of
the medical sequelae and their treatment.  In the context of the
proposed studies, programmatic emphasis will be on the clinical
relevance of both the isolation of direct cytopathic effects and the
behavioral effects of ongoing drug abuse that mediate diagnosis and
response to treatment.
 
Examples of possible research topics relevant to this announcement
include:
 
o  Epidemiological investigations that document the occurrence of
various medical disorders in the drug abusing population, especially
studies that examine disorders not already recognized as associated
with drug abuse.  Case-control or cohort studies to determine
relationships between disorders and substances would be appropriate.
 
o  Studies of the interaction of individual behaviors or traits with
the medical outcomes of substance abuse.
 
o  Epidemiologic and controlled studies of nitrite inhalant and other
drug use among those whose behavior puts them at risk for HIV
infection, such as intravenous drug users, hemophiliacs, prostitutes,
and heterosexual partners of bisexual men, to determine relationships
between substance abuse and health outcomes.
 
o  Studies of the mechanisms by which substance abuse affects
individuals, their organ systems and tissues with reference to
medical outcomes.  Studies may be in vitro or in vivo (if the cost is
justifiable) investigations.  Such studies could elucidate the
pathophysiological processes initiated or potentiated by particular
substances or combinations of substances.  For example, studies of
oncogenesis by drugs alone or in combination with viral infection
would be responsive.  Specific investigations linking drug
pharmacokinetic or pharmacodynamic parameters to relevant medical
outcomes would also be responsive.
 
o  Cancer epidemiologic studies among drug abusers (such as
hepatocellular cancer) using cancer registers and death certificate
data.
 
o  Further exploration of the association of maternal marijuana use
during pregnancy and childhood leukemias and other associations of
drug abuse and health conditions affecting pregnant women and their
offspring.  Health outcomes of children of "crack" using mothers
would also be responsive.
 
o  Psychiatric, neuropsychiatric, and neuropsychological
investigations that examine the acute and chronic effects of drug
abuse on systems that may interact with neurological systems (e.g.,
reduced vascular supply to cerebral cortex, hepatic function).
Chronic abuse effects on neurologic tissues and neuropsychiatric
functioning are also of interest.
 
o  Research into the metabolic, nutritional, immunologic,
psychological, or other medical/health outcomes that drug abuse that
may mediate through an effect on more than one substrate or on an
already established disease process.  Vulnerability studies that
examine the effects of drug abuse on systems and later medical/health
outcomes would be appropriate.
 
o  Evaluation of and clarification of feedback loops or reciprocal
causality, in which an existing health condition leads to substance
abuse that in turn leads to worsening of the original symptoms.
Examples of such relationships include self-medication of psychiatric
disorders that leads to exacerbation of the disorder or substance
abuse that arises after a closed-head injury and that leads to
delayed recovery.
 
o  Relationships between infectious agents and disease processes in
drug abusers.  Such studies could examine the interplay of host and
pathogen factors or the influence of cofactors on natural history of
disease.
 
o  Identification, evaluation, and surveillance of diseases as
surrogate markers of drug abuse.
 
o  Development and modification of treatments for diseases associated
with drug abuse, such as alternatives to parenteral therapy for
patients with "poor veins" or innovative antibiotic regimens
applicable to drug abusers with infections.
 
o  Examinations of primary care settings and integration of drug
abuse treatment and the impact of this integration on health
outcomes.  Conversely, examination of utilization of primary medical
care in drug abuse treatment settings and relation to health
outcomes.  Studies on early identification of substance abuse in
primary medical care settings or early identification of medical
problems in substance abuse/mental health settings would be of
particular interest.
 
o  Studies of the feasibility of specific health programs targeted at
drug abusers, such as vaccination programs.  Vaccination development
may also be a part of such programs, given clear emphasis on benefits
to drug abusing populations.
 
o  Evaluation of the patterns of clinical use of prescription,
potentially abusable drugs (e.g., pain medications) in precipitating
or preventing medical/psychiatric complications or conditions in
vulnerable adult and pediatric populations.
 
Because of the inter-disciplinary nature of many of these topics,
potential applicants are encouraged to secure the complete Program
Announcement from the resources listed at the end of this notice.
Applicants are advised to contact National Institute on Drug Abuse
staff to ensure appropriate coordination of PHS program resources.
 
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
 
The funding mechanisms that will be used to support this program are:
Research Projects (R01), Small Grants (R03), First Independent
Research Support and Transition Awards (R29), and Program Projects
(P01), Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Individual National Research
Service Awards (F31 and F32), Research Scientist Development Awards
(K02, K05), Scientist Development Awards (K21), and Scientist
Development Awards for Clinicians (K20).
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Applications may be submitted by public and private, non-profit and
for-profit organizations such as universities, colleges, hospitals,
research institutes and organizations, units of State or local
governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal government.  Women
and minority investigators are encouraged to apply.
 
Individual fellows applicants must be citizens or non-citizen
nationals of the United States for permanent residence and have in
their possession an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151 or I-551)
at the time of application.  Individuals on temporary or student
visas are not eligible.  See National Research Service Awards for
Individual Fellows, January 1988, for additional information.
 
REVIEW PROCESS AND CRITERIA
 
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for
receipt of applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.
Applications received under this announcement will be assigned to an
initial review group (IRG) in accordance with established Public
Health Service Referral Guidelines.  The IRG, consisting primarily of
non-Federal scientific and technical experts, will review the
applications for scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the
review recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the
initial review.  Applications will receive a second-level review by
the appropriate National Advisory Council whose review may be based
on policy as well as scientific merit considerations.  Only
applications recommended for approval by the Council may be
considered for funding.  Criteria for scientific/technical merit
review of research grant applications will include the following:
significance and originality from a scientific or technical
standpoint of the goals of the proposed research; adequacy of the
research methodology proposed to carry out the study; feasibility of
the proposed research; qualifications and research experience of the
Principal Investigator and other key research personnel; availability
of adequate facilities, other resources, and collaborative
arrangements necessary for the research; appropriateness of budget
estimates for the proposed research activities; and adequacy of
provisions for the protection of human and animal subjects.
 
For individual fellows, major considerations in the review are the
applicant's potential for a productive scientific career, the need
for the proposed training requested, and the possibility that the
research training proposal will meet that need.  See the program
announcement for additional details.
 
INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, ADAMHA requires applicants
to give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women and minorities are not included in the
study populations, a specific and compelling justification for this
exclusion must be provided.  Applications that do not include women
and minorities and that are without such documentation will not be
accepted for review.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applicants must use the application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88) for
research grants and the PHS 416-1 for fellowship applications.
 
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may
be obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at
most universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major
research facilities.  If such a source is not available, the
following office may be contacted for the necessary application
material:  Division of Research Grants, NIH, Westwood Building, Room
436, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, MD  20892, telephone (301)
496-9797.
 
The announcement may obtained from:
 
Grants Management Branch, OPRM
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 8A-54
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6710
 
or the individuals listed in INQUIRIES
 
INQUIRIES
 
For further information, investigators are encouraged to contact the
following individuals:
 
Sander G. Genser, M.D., M.P.H.
or
William C. Grace, Ph.D.
Clinical Medicine Branch,
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 11A-33,
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-1801
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Shirley McKenney
Chief, Grants Management Branch
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 8A-54
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6710
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.279.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of
sections 301 and 515 of the Public Health Service Act, (42 U.S.C. 241
and 290cc) and administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy
Statement and Federal regulations at 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part
74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency
review.
 
$$P1 END ************************************************************
 
                               ERRATA
 
$$E1 BEGIN P2 19910927 APPEND PA-91-101 BOTH ***************************
 
RESEARCH SCIENTIST DEVELOPMENT AWARD
 
PA:  PA-91-101
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1014002, 1014006
 
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
 
ADAMHA published updated announcements for the Research Scientist
Development Award (K02) (PA-91-101) and the Research Scientist Award
(K05) (PA-91-102) in September 27, 1991 (NIH Guide for Grants and
Contracts, Vol. 20, No. 36).  The review criteria outlined in these
announcements will be effective for all applications received as of
February 1, 1992, and will be applied beginning with the June peer
review by the Initial Review Groups.
 
$$E1 END ************************************************************
 
$$E2 BEGIN P3 19910927 APPEND PA-91-102 BOTH ***************************
 
RESEARCH SCIENTIST AWARD
 
PA:  PA-91-102
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1014002, 1014006
 
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
 
ADAMHA published updated announcements for the Research Scientist
Development Award (K02) (PA-91-101) and the Research Scientist Award
(K05) (PA-91-102) in September 27, 1991 (NIH Guide for Grants and
Contracts, Vol. 20, No. 36).  The review criteria outlined in these
announcements will be effective for all applications received as of
February 1, 1992, and will be applied beginning with the June peer
review by the Initial Review Groups.
 
$$E2 END ************************************************************
 
$$E3 BEGIN R2 19910913 APPEND RFA CA-91-33 BOTH ************************
 
SPECIALIZED PROGRAMS OF RESEARCH EXCELLENCE IN BREAST CANCER
 
RFA:  CA-91-33
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 07150350, 710030, 0745027, 0745070
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  November 22, 1991 (revised)
Application Receipt Date:  January 17, 1991
 
The Requests for Applications (RFAs) listed above were published in
the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts on September 13, 1991, Vol.
20, No. 34.  As a result of the Specialized Programs of Research
Excellence (SPOREs) briefing held by the National Cancer Institute
(NCI) in St. Louis on October 8, 1991, the NCI is announcing three
modifications to these RFAs:
 
1.  Under ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, an alternative to a minimum of
three independent investigators who are successful in obtaining
peer-reviewed research directly related to the relevant cancer, is a
minimum of three independent investigators, each having published
articles that significantly address the relevant cancer in
peer-reviewed research journals, and who, when combined, represent
experience in both laboratory and clinical research.  Because of the
scarcity of peer-reviewed research support for prostate cancer, the
NCI will be as flexible as possible in its interpretation of this
eligibility requirement for SPOREs addressing prostate cancer.
 
2.  In complying with the DIRECT COST CAP of $1.5 million, the
indirect costs related to subcontracts with other institutions or
organizations will not apply toward the cap, but the total dollar
request may not exceed $2.5 million.
 
3.  The deadline for the LETTER OF INTENT is extended from October
25, 1991, to November 22, 1991.  Although this document is not
required, it provides an opportunity for all potential applicants to
establish a dialogue with NCI staff.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to contact NCI staff
regarding these RFAs.  Direct inquiries concerning the revisions of
these RFAs and requests for the RFA to:
 
Andrew Chiarodo, Ph.D.
Chief, Organ Systems Coordinating Branch
Division of Cancer Biology, Diagnosis, and Centers
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Suite 316
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8528
 
$$E3 END ************************************************************
 
$$E4 BEGIN R3 19910913 APPEND RFA CA-91-34 BOTH ************************
 
SPECIALIZED PROGRAMS OF RESEARCH EXCELLENCE IN LUNG CANCER
 
RFA:  CA-91-34
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0715165
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  November 22, 1991 (revised)
Application Receipt Date:  January 17, 1991
 
The Requests for Applications (RFAs) listed above were published in
the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts on September 13, 1991, Vol.
20, No. 34.  As a result of the Specialized Programs of Research
Excellence (SPOREs) briefing held by the National Cancer Institute
(NCI) in St. Louis on October 8, 1991, the NCI is announcing three
modifications to these RFAs:
 
1.  Under ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, an alternative to a minimum of
three independent investigators who are successful in obtaining
peer-reviewed research directly related to the relevant cancer, is a
minimum of three independent investigators, each having published
articles that significantly address the relevant cancer in
peer-reviewed research journals, and who, when combined, represent
experience in both laboratory and clinical research.  Because of the
scarcity of peer-reviewed research support for prostate cancer, the
NCI will be as flexible as possible in its interpretation of this
eligibility requirement for SPOREs addressing prostate cancer.
 
2.  In complying with the DIRECT COST CAP of $1.5 million, the
indirect costs related to subcontracts with other institutions or
organizations will not apply toward the cap, but the total dollar
request may not exceed $2.5 million.
 
3.  The deadline for the LETTER OF INTENT is extended from October
25, 1991, to November 22, 1991.  Although this document is not
required, it provides an opportunity for all potential applicants to
establish a dialogue with NCI staff.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to contact NCI staff
regarding these RFAs.  Direct inquiries concerning the revisions of
these RFAs and requests for the RFA to:
 
Andrew Chiarodo, Ph.D.
Chief, Organ Systems Coordinating Branch
Division of Cancer Biology, Diagnosis, and Centers
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Suite 316
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8528
 
$$E4 END ************************************************************
 
$$E5 BEGIN R4 19910913 APPEND RFA CA-91-35 BOTH ************************
 
SPECIALIZED PROGRAMS OF RESEARCH EXCELLENCE IN PROSTATE CANCER
 
RFA:  CA-91-35
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715030, 0715167
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  November 22, 1991 (revised)
Application Receipt Date:  January 17, 1991
 
The Requests for Applications (RFAs) listed above were published in
the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts on September 13, 1991, Vol.
20, No. 34.  As a result of the Specialized Programs of Research
Excellence (SPOREs) briefing held by the National Cancer Institute
(NCI) in St. Louis on October 8, 1991, the NCI is announcing three
modifications to these RFAs:
 
1.  Under ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, an alternative to a minimum of
three independent investigators who are successful in obtaining
peer-reviewed research directly related to the relevant cancer, is a
minimum of three independent investigators, each having published
articles that significantly address the relevant cancer in
peer-reviewed research journals, and who, when combined, represent
experience in both laboratory and clinical research.  Because of the
scarcity of peer-reviewed research support for prostate cancer, the
NCI will be as flexible as possible in its interpretation of this
eligibility requirement for SPOREs addressing prostate cancer.
 
2.  In complying with the DIRECT COST CAP of $1.5 million, the
indirect costs related to subcontracts with other institutions or
organizations will not apply toward the cap, but the total dollar
request may not exceed $2.5 million.
 
3.  The deadline for the LETTER OF INTENT is extended from October
25, 1991, to November 22, 1991.  Although this document is not
required, it provides an opportunity for all potential applicants to
establish a dialogue with NCI staff.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to contact NCI staff
regarding these RFAs.  Direct inquiries concerning the revisions of
these RFAs and requests for the RFA to:
 
Andrew Chiarodo, Ph.D.
Chief, Organ Systems Coordinating Branch
Division of Cancer Biology, Diagnosis, and Centers
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Suite 316
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8528
 
$$E5 END ************************************************************
 
**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION
OF RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS THE CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES
OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE
ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET
ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS:
 
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20816