Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(46) 12/13/91 - P2/2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 91 10:13 EST

Hi Paul,
   Please post this to the NIH Listserver as:
    NIHGUIDE2.911213
                    Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19911213 V20N46 P2O2 ************************************
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency
review.
 
$$P1 END ************************************************************
 
$$P2 BEGIN PA-92-22 *************************************************
 
NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARDS IN GENOMIC ANALYSIS
 
PA:  PA-92-22
 
P.T. 22, 44; K.W. 0720005, 1215018, 1002058, 0755045
 
National Center for Human Genome Research
 
The National Center for Human Genome Research (NCHGR) announces a
broadly based program to train individuals to:  (1) develop new
technology to expeditiously accomplish the goals of the Human Genome
Program, (2) develop research programs in the mapping or
determination of the DNA sequence of the human genome and the genomes
of other organisms, or (3) analyze and apply the resulting data to
solve problems of biological interest.  These research training
opportunities will be supported through predoctoral institutional
training grants (T32s), individual postdoctoral fellowships (F32s),
and senior fellowships (F33s).
 
This is a reissue of a Program Announcement that appeared in the NIH
Guide for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 18, No. 25, July 21, 1989.
 
BACKGROUND
 
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is currently engaged, along
with several other Federal, private, and international organizations,
in a research program designed to characterize the human genome and
the genomes of selected model organisms.  This endeavor, known as the
Human Genome Project, has several interrelated goals: the
construction of a high-resolution genetic linkage map of the human;
the development of physical maps of the human genome and the genomes
of selected model organisms; the determination of the complete
nucleotide sequence of human DNA and the DNA of several model
organisms; the development of the ability to collect, store,
distribute, and analyze the data that accrue from these activities;
the development of appropriate new technologies to achieve these
goals; and the examination of the ethical, legal, and social
implications of the Human Genome Program.  These goals are discussed
in detail in the document, "Understanding Our Genetic Inheritance-The
U.S. Human Genome Project:  The First Five Years - FY 1991-1995,"
available from the Human Genome Management Information Center, Oak
Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN  37831-6050, telephone (615)
576-6669.
 
The aim of the genome program is to produce a set of research
resources including methodologies, materials, information and
instruments.  It is expected that these resources will significantly
improve the ability of scientists to study basic biological
phenomena, to determine the genetic aspects of human diseases, and to
develop methods of diagnosing and treating such diseases.
 
To achieve the goals of the genome program, there are many biological
and technological research problems that need to be solved.
Attaining the solutions to these problems will require that the
research methods of the biological sciences be augmented and
complemented by the approaches and methods of sciences such as
physics, mathematics, computer science, chemistry, and engineering.
However, it is widely perceived that there is a critical shortage of
scientists with the appropriate skills to bring such
multidisciplinary approaches to the necessary research.  In addition
to providing training opportunities for individuals who are capable
of developing new technology and tools, there is also a need to
provide training opportunities to molecular biologists and
geneticists who will take advantage of the resources provided by the
Human Genome Program to address important research problems as they
relate to disease and development.  The intent of the NCHGR research
training program in genomic analysis and technology is to develop and
support institutional programs and individual fellowships that
provide research training that emphasizes the importance of the joint
application of one or more of these other sciences with biological
approaches in the investigation of those areas of biomedical research
relevant to the broad field of genomic analysis.  Opportunities are
available for predoctoral students and junior and senior scientists
with doctoral degrees.
 
A.  INSTITUTIONAL PREDOCTORAL RESEARCH TRAINING PROGRAMS (T32)
 
The goal of PREDOCTORAL RESEARCH TRAINING in genomic analysis is to
provide interdisciplinary training in which students are prepared
with a deep understanding of how the methods and principles of one or
more non-biological sciences can interact with those of biology to
allow investigation of research problems related to genomic analysis.
Such programs must be capable of attracting students with different
scientific backgrounds and must have sufficient flexibility to
provide the appropriate training to individual candidates.  For
example, for individuals whose undergraduate background was not in
the biological sciences, genome-related training should include
special course-work to provide a working background in biological
sciences prior to beginning laboratory research.  Conversely, by
including faculty who provide strength in fields such as engineering,
mathematics, physics, chemistry, and computer science, individuals
who enter with a background in the biological sciences should be
provided with opportunities for training in the broader areas that
will allow them to become scientists able to address the needs of
genome research.
 
Although the immediate objectives of the genome training program are
framed in terms of addressing the goals of the Human Genome Program,
such training must also have broader goals.  The most successful
programs will be those that train skilled scientists able to develop
independent research programs that will not only be useful in
attaining the goals of the Human Genome Program, but will then be
able to utilize the resources developed through that program to
address important biological research questions.  Thus, it is
essential that students who are supported under this program receive
thorough training in modern biomedical research.  The inter-
disciplinary training envisioned in the predoctoral component of this
initiative must follow fundamentally sound undergraduate preparation
in biology, computer science, applied mathematics, chemistry,
physics, or engineering.  In other words, the training program in
genome research is designed to allow trainees access to broad
research opportunities across disciplinary and departmental lines,
while not sacrificing the standards of depth and creativity
characteristic of the best Ph.D. and postdoctoral programs of
individual departments.  One way to achieve the desired breadth would
be cooperative involvement of faculty members from several
disciplines and departments as research mentors.
 
The stipend level for PREDOCTORAL trainees is $8,800 per annum.  In
addition, the applicant institution may request expenses for tuition
and fees and up to $1,500 per year for each predoctoral trainee to
defray research supplies, equipment, travel to scientific meetings,
medical insurance, and any other training-related expense.  Tuition
and fees and medical insurance are allowable costs only if required
of all persons in a similar training status regardless of the source
of support.  Indirect costs will be paid at eight percent of total
allowable direct costs, or actual costs, whichever is less.
 
Institutional training grants are made for project periods of up to
five years and are renewable.  However, no single predoctoral trainee
may receive more than five years of aggregate support unless a
specific waiver is obtained from the NCHGR.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications will be evaluated for scientific merit by the an
appropriate Institute, Center, or Division review committee.  The
following criteria will be considered:  the research and training
experience and leadership capabilities of the program director; the
qualifications and commitment of the training faculty as measured by
research grant support, publication record, and post-training record;
the quality of the applicant pool; the number of predoctoral students
currently receiving training; the design of the training program
including its relevance to the goals of the Human Genome Program;
guidance and quality control of the individual trainee's programs;
training record of the participating faculty; and adequacy of the
resources and environment.  Following assessment of the quality of
the proposed training and assignment of priority scores indicative of
the merit, the initial review group will evaluate each applicant's
plans for (1) attracting individuals from underrepresented minority
groups and training them for research careers and (2) plans for
instructing students in the responsible conduct of research.  If an
application is deficient in either of these areas, it may not be
funded, regardless of scientific merit.
 
Site visits may, but are not likely to, be conducted as part of the
review process.  Therefore, applicants must present a complete and
well-justified written application and not depend on a site visit to
amplify the application.
 
Subsequent to initial review, applications will be reviewed by an
appropriate national advisory council.  Among the information the
Council will consider is the initial review group's comments on the
recruitment of individuals from underrepresented minority groups into
the training program.
 
B.  INDIVIDUAL AND SENIOR POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS
 
The NCHGR also supports individual (F32) and senior (F33)
postdoctoral fellowships under a separate program announcement.
These fellowships are open to molecular biologists; physical,
chemical, mathematical, and computer scientists; engineers; and those
trained in the humanities who wish to receive training in genomic
research or the ethical, legal, and social implications of human
genome research.  The stipend level for the individual postdoctoral
fellowships ranges from $18,600 to $32,300, depending on the number
of years of relevant experience subsequent to the award of the
doctoral degree.  For further information, contact Dr. Graham at the
address below.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applications must be submitted using form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88).
Receipt dates for the institutional training grant and fellowship
applications described in this announcement are January 10, May 10,
and September 10, annually.
 
Application material is available from university business offices
and from the Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants,
National Institutes of Health, Westwood Building, Room 449, Bethesda,
MD  20892, telephone 301/496-7441.
 
Recipients of National Research Service Awards are subject to payback
provisions.  Details about the policies and payback provisions
governing the institutional predoctoral training grant, the
postdoctoral fellowship, and the senior fellowship can be found in
the National Research Service Awards Guidelines, published in the NIH
Guide for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 13, No. 1, January 6, 1984,
which is available from the office listed below.

INQUIRIES
 
For additional information about the National Research Service Award
institutional training grants (T32s), individual fellowships (F32s,
F33s), and to request specific instructions for completing T32
applications, contact the following individuals according to the
field of training envisioned:
 
Genomic Analysis and Technology (T32, F32, F33)
 
Bettie J. Graham, Ph.D.
National Center for Human Genome Research
Building 38A, Room 610
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7531
E-mail:  [email-masked]; [email-masked]
 
Ethical, Legal and Social Implications of Human Genome Research (F32
and F33)
 
Eric T. Juengst, Ph.D.
National Center for Human Genome Research
Building 38A, Room 617
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0911
E-mail:  [email-masked]; [email-masked]
 
For information about PHS Grant Policy, applicants may contact:
 
Ms. Alice Thomas
Chief, Grants and Contracts Management Branch
National Center for Human Genome Research
Building 38A, Room 613
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0733
E-mail:  [email-masked]; [email-masked]
 
The program and grants management officials welcome the opportunity
to clarify any issues or questions related to this Program
Announcement and encourage written or telephone inquiries.
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.172.  Awards will be made under the authority of
the Public Health Service Act, Sections 301 (Public Law 78-410, as
amended 42 U.S.C. 241) and administered under PHS grants policies.
This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or to Health Systems Agency
review.
 
$$P2 END ************************************************************
 
$$P3 BEGIN PA-92-23 *************************************************
 
COMPARATIVE MEDICINE RESEARCH PROGRAM PROJECTS
 
PA:  PA-92-23
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0765035, 0404000, 0201058, 0720030
 
National Center for Research Resources
 
PURPOSE
 
The Comparative Medicine Program (CMP) of the National Center for
Research Resources (NCRR) invites grant applications for the newly
created Comparative Medicine Research Program Project (CMRPP)
activity.  Considering the importance of laboratory animals in
biomedical research, a thorough understanding of their biology,
pathophysiology, behavior, diseases, and uses is essential for making
meaningful extrapolations in studies related to human health and
disease.  This new activity will establish CMRPPs where such vitally
needed laboratory animal studies may be conducted.  Funding will be
provided to CMRPPs to support a multidisciplinary, multicategorical
research program that focuses on biomedical research related to
laboratory animal medicine, pathology, and science.  Each CMRPP will
carry out research on a minimum of three and a maximum of six
specific projects.  In addition, CMRPPs may have a core support unit
to provide administrative services and institutional research-related
laboratory animal diagnostic services for its research program.  Each
CMRPP will be under the leadership of a Principal Investigator (PI)
with established scientific and administrative competence.  The PI
will be responsible for the administrative oversight of CMRPP
research projects and for the core support unit.
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Any domestic non-profit or for-profit institution or organization
with research resources and facilities for laboratory animals is
eligible to apply.  The applicant institution must also have
substantial and established research programs involving laboratory
animals, professional and technical staff to conduct high quality
biomedical research, in-house laboratory animal diagnostic
capabilities, and excellent institutional research resources and
facilities for laboratory animals.  An institution is eligible to
have only one CMRPP award.  Institutions are not eligible for support
if they are currently funded by the CMP under the Animal Resource
Laboratories (ARL) or Diagnostic and Investigative Laboratories (DIL)
program, which is being discontinued.  However, eligibility to apply
for CMRPP support can be established if an ARL/DIL award terminates
or the grantee institution elects to relinquish the ARL/DIL award.
Institutions may not receive support concurrently from both an
ARL/DIL and a CMRPP.
 
MECHANISM AND LEVEL OF SUPPORT
 
The grant mechanism used for this program will be the research
program project grant (P01).  The total project period for new and
competing continuation (renewal) applications may not exceed five
years.  A CMRPP will consist of a minimum of three and a maximum of
six research projects that are each under the leadership of an
experienced investigator.  A maximum average of $60,000 (direct
costs) may be requested for each research project.  The total budget
for six (maximum) projects may not exceed $360,000 (direct costs).
The CMRPP core unit is expected to support the research projects by
providing common laboratory and clinical equipment and administrative
services.  Up to 20 percent of the combined direct cost budget
proposed for the CMRPP research projects may be requested for support
of the core unit.  The total direct costs requested for CMRPP
research projects and the core unit in new and renewal applications
may not exceed $432,000 per year, although appropriate escalation
will be provided.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The overall objective of a CMRPP is to establish an environment that
will enhance scientifically meritorious and productive research,
encourage collaboration, and provide a setting conducive to advanced
research training.  It is not an objective of this program to assist
institutions in the development and maintenance of diagnostic
laboratories whose purpose is to detect, diagnose, and control
diseases in their laboratory animal colonies (the discontinuation of
NCRR grant support for diagnostic and investigative laboratories is
the subject of a separate NOTICE published in this issue of the NIH
Guide for Grants and Contracts).  CMRPPs will carry out a multi-
disciplinary, multicategorical research program that focuses on
biomedical research related to laboratory animal medicine, pathology,
and science.  The following are examples of research that may be
performed in CMRPPs:
 
o   Basic studies on the normal and abnormal anatomy, physiology,
genetics, and behavior of laboratory animals that are frequently used
in biomedical research.
 
o   Studies that will advance the development of new animal models
for human or comparative medical studies.  Of special interest is the
development of innovative techniques to create, produce, maintain,
and preserve genetically designed transgenic animals or cells that
can be used to study human diseases and develop genetic therapies.
 
o   Investigations to study the etiology, diagnosis, pathogenesis,
control, and prevention of laboratory animal diseases that adversely
affect biomedical research.  Included in such investigations would be
the development of better diagnostic techniques and procedures to
detect and monitor infections, genetic, and other diseases in
laboratory animals.
 
Applications proposing research that falls exclusively within the
categorical interest of a single NIH Institute, Center, or Division
are not appropriate for funding in this program.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications will be reviewed for scientific and technical merit by
an appropriate review committee managed by the Office of Review,
NCRR, in accordance with the usual NIH peer review procedures.
Second level review will be provided by the National Advisory
Research Resources Council (NARRC).  Applications will compete for
available funds within the CMP Laboratory Animal Sciences Program.
Funding decisions will be based on the quality of the proposed
project, the availability of funds, and the achievement of
appropriate program balance.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applications must be submitted on grant application form PHS 398
(rev. 10/88) and will be accepted at the standard application
deadlines as indicated in the application kit.  These forms are
available at business and grants and contracts offices at most
academic and research institutions.  They may also be obtained from
the Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, National
Institutes of Health, Westwood Building, Room 449, Bethesda, MD
20892, telephone (301) 496-7441.  The title and number of this
announcement must be typed in Section 2 on the face page of the
application.
 
Special instructions outlined in the CMRPP Guidelines also apply to
submissions and may be obtained from the Director of the Laboratory
Animal Sciences Program at the inquiry address indicated below.
Requests for guidelines must include two self-addressed mailing
lables.
 
Applicants are strontly encouraged to contact the program director
listed below prior to preparation of an application.
 
The completed original application (signed original including
appendices, if any) and four copies must be sent or delivered to:
 
Grant Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892-4500**
 
Simultaneously, two additional copies (with appendices, if any) must
be sent under separate cover to:
 
Scientific Review Administrator
Comparative Medicine Review Committee, Office of Review
National Center for Research Resources
Westwood Building, Room 10A16
Bethesda, MD  20892-4500**
 
INQUIRIES
 
Requests for further information, general consultation on program
requirements, and the Program Announcement with Guidelines, which
contains important information for applicants, are encouraged and may
be obtained from:
 
Director, Laboratory Animal Science Program
Comparative Medicine Program
National Center for Research Resources
Westwood Building, Room 857
Bethesda, MD  20892**
Telephone:  (301) 496-5175
FAX:  (301) 480-0868
 
Questions regarding fiscal matters may be directed to:
 
Mr. Paul Karadbil
Grants Management Specialist
Office of Grants and Contracts Management
National Center for Research Resources
Westwood Building, Room 849
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9840
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.306, Laboratory Animal Sciences and Primate
Research.  Awards will be made under the authority of the Public
Health Service Act, Title III, Section 301 (Public Law 78.410, as
amended;  42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grant policies and
Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program
is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$P3 END ************************************************************
 
$$P4 BEGIN PA-92-24 *************************************************
 
SMALL GRANT PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON
DEAFNESS AND OTHER COMMUNICATION DISORDERS
 
PA:  PA-92-24
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715050, 0715055, 0705070, 0410001
 
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
 
This announcement supersedes all previously issued announcements for
the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
(NIDCD) Small Grant Program.  The current Small Grant Program
provides support for pilot research that is likely to lead to a
subsequent Individual Research Project Grant (R01) or a First
Independent Research Support and Transition Grant (FIRST (R29))
research project application.  The research must be focused on areas
within the mission of NIDCD, that is, hearing, balance/vestibular,
smell, taste, voice, speech, and language.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
The Small Grant program is designed solely to support basic and
clinical scientists with limited research experience who are at the
beginning stages of their research careers.
 
Foreign organizations and institutions are not eligible.  Current and
previous recipients of NIH research grants such as Small Grant
awards, R01 or R29 grants are ineligible for the Small Grant program.
Individuals who have received research support from other Federal
funding agencies are considered ineligible.
 
Participation in the program by investigators at minority
institutions is encouraged.
 
Small grant funds may not be used to support thesis or dissertation
research.
 
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE AWARD
 
Applicants may request up to $25,000 (direct costs) per year.  The
grant may not exceed two years and is not renewable. Investigators
are expected to seek continuing support for research through a
research project grant (R01) or First Independent Research Support
and Transition (R29).
 
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Only one Small Grant application may be submitted by an investigative
team per receipt date.  Applicants may not submit R01 or R29
applications on the same topic concurrently (to be considered at the
same Advisory Council) with the submission of a Small Grant
application.
 
The submission, review, and award schedule for the Small Grant
Program is:
 
Receipt Dates   Institute Committee   Council    Earliest
 for 1992            Review           Review     Funding
 
Jan 7              Feb-Mar            May        Jul
May 6              Jun                Sep-Oct    Dec
Sep 16             Oct-Nov            Jan-Feb    Apr
 
A review committee of the NIDCD will evaluate each Small Grant
application in accord with the usual NIH peer review procedures and
criteria.  Applications will be evaluated with respect to the
following criteria:
 
o  significance and scientific merit of the proposed project;
 
o  level of innovation;
 
o  investigator's potential for carrying out the research, as
demonstrated by publication record and/or previous research/clinical
experience or training relative to the goals and methods of the
proposed study;
 
o  adequacy of the investigator's time commitment to the project;
 
o  potential of the proposed studies to lead to more extensive
research;
 
o  adequacy of the facilities, supporting personnel, and available
equipment for carrying out the proposed studies; and,
 
o  justifications of budget requests.
 
All applications subsequently will be reviewed by the National
Deafness and Other Communication Disorders Advisory Council.
 
The award of grants is contingent on the (1) receipt of applications
of high scientific merit; (2) responsiveness to this announcement,
including the eligibility of investigators; (3) relevance to the
mission of NIDCD; and (4) the availability of appropriated funds.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to
include minorities and women in study populations so that research
findings can be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease,
disorder or condition under study; special emphasis should be placed
on the need for inclusion of minorities and women in studies of
diseases, disorders and conditions which disproportionately affect
them.  This policy is intended to apply to males and females of all
ages.  If women or minorities are excluded or inadequately
represented in clinical research, particularly in proposed
population-based studies, a clear compelling rationale should be
provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research
design and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of
the study.  This information should be included in the form PHS 398
in Section 2, A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2,
E, Human Subjects.
 
Applicants are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of including
the broadest possible representation of minority groups.  However,
NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in all
research projects to include representation of the full array of
United States racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native
Americans (including American Indians or Alaskan Natives),
Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups should
be provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology,
prevention (and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of
diseases, disorders or conditions, including but not limited to
clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also
apply.  Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues
cannot be identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However,
every effort should be made to include human tissues from women and
racial/ethnic minorities when it is important to apply the results of
the study broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application,
the application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the
selected study population is inadequate, it will be considered a
scientific weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be
reflected in assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required
to address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award
grants or cooperative agreements that do not comply with these
policies.
 
METHOD OF APPLYING
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 (rev 10/88) must be used.
Application kits are available from the business offices or the
offices of sponsored research of most institutions; from the Division
of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health (telephone:
301-496-7441); and from NIDCD Division staff listed below.
 
On the face page of the application:  Item 2.  Type "Small Grant
Program NIDCD".  Check the "YES" box.
 
Section 2.  Do not exceed a total of five pages for the following
sections:  specific aims, background and significance, progress
report/preliminary studies, and experimental design and methods. A
half-page introduction is acceptable only for revised applications.
Applications that exceed the page limitation or NIH requirements for
type size and margins will be returned to the investigator.  The five
page limitation does not include ancillary subsections of Section 2
(Human Subjects, Consortia).
 
Section 3.  Appendix materials are not allowed.
 
Use the mailing label in the application kit to mail the original and
four copies of the application to the Division of Research Grants.
To ensure that the application is received in sufficient time for the
review, send one copy of the application to:
 
Chief, Scientific Review Branch
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza South, Room 400-B
6120 Executive Plaza Blvd.
Rockvillem MD  20892
 
For additional information, investigators are encouraged to call
(301-496-5061) or write to NIDCD staff responsible for grants in the
investigator's particular area of scientific interest:
 
Dr. Beth Ansell (voice, speech)
Dr. Judith Cooper (language)
Dr. Amy Donahue (hearing)
Dr. Jack Pearl (chemical senses)
Dr. Daniel Sklare (balance/vestibular)
 
For budgetary and fiscal questions, contact:
 
Sharon Hunt
Grants Management Officer
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Executive Plaza South, Room 400-B
6120 Executive Plaza Blvd.
Rockville, MD  20872
Telephone:  (301) 402-0909
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service
Act, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and
administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR
Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  The program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or to
Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$P4 END ************************************************************