Subject: NIH GUIDE - V21(02) 01/17/92 - P2/2
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 92 08:50 EST

Hi Paul,
   Please post to the NIH Listserver as:
     NIHGUIDE2.920117
                     DSB
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19920117 V21N02 P2O2 ************************************
Assistance, No. 93.398 Cancer Research Manpower.  National Institutes
of Health, Public Health Service, Department of Health and Human
Services authorization: Public Health Service Act, Service 413, as
amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 U.S.C. 285a:  Public Health Service
Act, Section 487, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 U.S.C. 288.
Federal Agency:  National Institutes of Health, Public Health Service,
Department of Health and Human Services authorization:  Public Health
Service Act, Section 301, Public Law 78- 410, 42 U.S.C. 241, and
Section 412, as amended by Public Law 99.158, 42 U.S.C. 285a-1.
 
$$P4 END ************************************************************
 
$$P5 BEGIN PA-92-34 *************************************************
 
RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARDS IN ARTHRITIS AND
MUSCULOSKELETAL AND SKIN DISEASES
 
PA:  PA-92-34
 
P.T. 22, 34; K.W. 0715010, 0715136, 0715185, 0715026, 0710030, 0785055
 
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
 
BACKGROUND
 
The objective of this Program Announcement is to emphasize the
continuing commitment of the National Institute of Arthritis and
Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) to support the research
development of biomedical investigators who conduct research on the
basic biology, organ systems, and diseases and disorders within its
mandate.  The NIAMS encourages all individuals, especially members of
underrepresented groups, to submit applications.  The aim is to
increase the expertise and development of researchers in areas relevant
to the mission of the NIAMS.
 
SCOPE
 
The NIAMS encourages applications for individual fellowships and
research career awards.  The research emphasis or thrust of such
applications must be related to the mission of the NIAMS.  Major areas
of interest include:
 
o  Arthritis and connective tissue diseases
 
o  Bone biology and diseases
 
o  Muscle biology and diseases
 
o  Musculoskeletal diseases and disorders
 
o  Skin biology and diseases
 
o  Musculoskeletal fitness, exercise physiology and gait analysis
 
o  Immunology and inflammatory processes related to diseases of
connective tissue, bone, muscle, and skin
 
o  Epidemiology of arthritis, bone, muscle, and skin diseases
 
o  Structure, function and physiology of bone, muscle, skin, joints,
and connective tissue
 
o  Metabolism of muscle, bone, and skin
 
MULTIDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH
 
Due to the complexity of the tissues and diseases, it is becoming
increasingly clear that research excellence in arthritis, muscle
biology, musculoskeletal disorders, and bone and skin diseases requires
interdisciplinary approaches.  Thus, the NIAMS encourages researchers
at appropriate stages in their careers to develop additional expertise
in areas such as molecular biology, cell biology, structural biology,
biophysics, immunology, developmental biology, genetics, and
epidemiology.  Examples of multi-disciplinary approaches that are
relevant to the NIAMS include, but are not limited to, the following:
 
o  The use of cell biology and molecular genetics to investigate the
regulation of growth and proliferation of muscle, bone, and skin cells;
extracellular controls (e.g., cytokines), receptors, extracellular
matrix, structural function;
 
o  Immunology to investigate the basis of immune and autoimmune
mediated diseases of muscle, bone, joints, and skin.
 
o  Membrane biochemistry, physiology, and molecular genetics to explore
the molecular basis of defective membrane channels and ion transport in
cells of muscle, bone, and skin;
 
o  Structural biology and human genetics to investigate the development
or application of macromolecular X-ray diffraction and Nuclear Magnetic
Resonance methods, computer-assisted modeling, and molecular dynamics
or mechanical simulations to studies of enzyme function, molecular
biology, molecular genetics, and/or biochemical genetics of hereditary
diseases in model systems and humans;
 
o  Wide bore and whole body magnetic resonance spectroscopy and imaging
of metabolic processes during rest and exercise, in normal or diseased
tissue.
 
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
 
Several mechanisms exist that will support the professional development
of individuals who can advance research in these areas.  Each mechanism
is tailored to a particular stage of the investigator's career.  The
existing mechanisms are:  Individual Fellowships (F32, F33); Physician
Scientist Award (PSA K11); Clinical Investigator Award (CIA K08); and
Research Career Development Award (RCDA K04).  Physician investigators
are encouraged to use the PSA and CIA to develop expertise in basic and
clinical research.
 
A research training or career development program for a
physician-scientist should equip the individual to become an
independent investigator capable of designing and executing rigorous
research protocols carefully crafted to examine a hypothesis.  Ideally,
such investigators should be able to integrate patient-oriented and
laboratory-oriented research methods to address questions related to
the physiology and pathophysiology of arthritis and muscle, bone, and
skin diseases and disorders.
 
Support mechanisms for training and research career development awards
are summarized in this announcement.  Detailed guidelines for each of
the mechanisms may be obtained from the office of sponsored programs at
most research institutions and from the Division of Research Grants,
NIH, Westwood Building, Room 240, Bethesda, Maryland  20892, Phone,
(301) 496-7441.  Only U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals are
eligible for support under these programs.
 
A.  INDIVIDUAL NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD (F32)
 
Individual National Research Service Awards (NRSA) are given at the
postdoctoral level.  The application must describe a specific research
project that is guided and sponsored by a preceptor.  This support is
for full-time research training.
 
Provisions of these awards include:
 
o  Awards for up to 36 months of training
 
o  Stipends based on years of experience:  range is $18,600-32,300 per
year;
 
o  Institutional allowance of $3,000 per year ($2,000 per year for
fellows at NIH) to help meet expenses;
 
o  Support for more than 12 months requires "payback."
 
B.  SENIOR NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD (F33)
 
Senior fellowships are designed for experienced scientists who wish to
make major changes in the direction of their research career, to
broaden their research capabilities, or to enlarge their command of an
allied research field.  Applicants for an F33 must hold a doctoral
degree or equivalent and show at least seven subsequent years of
relevant professional or research experience.
 
Provisions of the award include:
 
o  Awards for up to 24 months;
 
o  Stipend up to $32,300 per year.
 
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND REVIEW FOR FELLOWSHIP AWARDS
 
Application receipt dates for these two awards are January 10, May 10,
and September 10.  Applicants must use Fellowship Application Kit (PHS
416-1, Revised 4/89).  Fellowships will be reviewed through the
accelerated NIH peer review system in the Division of Research Grants.
Earliest possible funding start dates will be seven to eight months
after receipt dates.
 
Fellowship applications submitted in response to this announcement must
be identified by typing PA-RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP AWARDS and PA-92-34 on
Item 3 of the face page, below the title of the project.
 
C.  PHYSICIAN SCIENTIST AWARD - (K11)
 
The Physician Scientist Award (PSA) is designed to encourage the newly
trained clinician to develop independent research skills and experience
in a fundamental science.  The award is divided into two phases.
During Phase I, which may last two to three years, the candidate is
expected to develop independent research skills and experience in a
fundamental science.  The primary sponsor must be an accomplished basic
science investigator.  Phase II entails intensive research activity,
applying the skills learned during Phase I.
 
Applicants for the PSA must:
 
o  Hold an M.D. or equivalent clinical degree.  Generally, candidates
holding the Ph.D. are ineligible;
 
o  Have completed at least one postgraduate year of clinical training
by the time of award;
 
o  Not have previous independent research support.
 
Provisions of the PSA include:
 
o  Five years of support, nonrenewable; durations of three or four
years may be requested at the time of application;
 
o  Salary up to $50,000 per year plus fringe benefits;
 
o  Up to $10,000 (Phase I) and $20,000 (Phase II) per year for research
supplies, equipment, technical assistance, travel;
 
o  Commitment, as a minimum, of 75 percent time to PSA activities.
 
D.  CLINICAL INVESTIGATOR AWARD - (K08)
 
The Clinical Investigator Award (CIA) is offered to provide the
opportunity for promising clinically trained individuals with
demonstrated aptitude in research to develop as independent
investigators.
 
Applicants for the CIA must:
 
o  Hold an M.D. or other health professional degree;
 
o  Have approximately four to eight years of postdoctoral experience,
both clinical and research (a minimum of two years of each) by the
projected start of the award;
 
o  Not have been a Principal Investigator on a Public Health
Service-supported research project.
 
Provisions of the CIA include:
 
o  Five years of support, nonrenewable; tenures of three or four years
may be requested at time of application;
 
o  Salary up to $50,000 per year plus fringe benefits;
 
o  Up to $20,000 per year for research supplies, equipment, technical
assistance, travel;
 
o  Commitment, as a minimum, of 75 percent time to the project.
 
E.  RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARD - (K04)
 
The Research Career Development Award (RCDA) provides salary support to
enhance the research capabilities of individuals in the formative
stages of their careers.  Candidates who have demonstrated outstanding
potential as independent investigators in health-related research, but
need to be released from some of the teaching, clinical, and
administrative duties assigned to junior faculty, are eligible.
 
Applicants for the RCDA must:
 
o  Hold a doctoral degree or equivalent, have usually at least five
years postdoctoral research experience, and be principal investigator
of a peer-reviewed research grant;
 
o  Describe in the application how the award will enhance development
as an independent investigator;
 
o  Have enough independent research support for the research proposed
in the RCDA application;
 
o  Hold a faculty appointment.
 
Provisions of the RCDA include:
 
o  Five years of support, nonrenewable;
 
o  Salary up to $50,000 per year plus fringe benefits.  No funds are
available under this award for research expenses.  These expenses are
expected to be included in the independent research support described
above.
 
o  Commitment of at least 80 percent time to research.  The remaining
time (up to 20 percent) must be spent on research-related activities
that will enhance research career development.
 
RCDA applications may be submitted concurrently with a traditional
research grant application but may not be submitted concurrently with
other development awards such as PSA, CIA, or First Independent
Research Support and Transition (FIRST) Award.
 
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND REVIEW FOR THE K AWARDS
 
Application receipt dates for all career development awards (K series)
are February 1, June 1, and October 1.  The PSA and CIA applications
will be reviewed by an appropriate review committee within a funding
Institute. RCDA applications will be reviewed by an initial review
group in the Division of Research Grants.  Earliest possible funding
dates are approximately 10 months after the receipt dates.  Use
application form PHS 398, Rev. 10/88 and 9/91, with special
instructions for the PSA, CIA, and RCDA ("The K Awards," October 1991)
available from the Office of Grants Inquiries.
 
Applications submitted in response to this announcement must be
identified by typing PA-RESEARCH CAREER AWARDS and PA-92-34 on line 2
of the face page, below the title of the project.
 
The typed original application and six signed exact single-sided
photocopies must be submitted or delivered to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Applicants from institutions that have a General Clinical Research
Center (GCRC) funded by the NIH National Center for Research Resources
may identify the GCRC as a resource for conducting the proposed
activity.  In such a case, a letter of agreement from either the GCRC
program director or Principal Investigator must be included with the
application.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDIES
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need
for inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders
and conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research
design and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the
study.  This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in
Section 2, A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E,
Human Subjects.  Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the
feasibility of including the broadest possible representation of
minority groups.  However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible
or appropriate in all research projects to include representation of
the full array of  United States racial/ethnic minority populations
(i.e., Native Americans (including American Indians or Alaskan
Natives), Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority populations groups should
be provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also
apply.  Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues
cannot be identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However,
every effort should be made to include human tissues from women and
racial/ethnic minorities when it is important to apply the results of
the study broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' population, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application,
the application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants
or cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
INQUIRIES
 
For further information about these awards, contact:
 
Richard W. Lymn, Ph.D.
Program Director
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 403
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7495
 
For administrative and fiscal matters, contact:
 
Diane Watson
Grants Management Officer
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 407-A
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7495
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.846, Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Research.
Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service
Act, Title III, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241)
and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42
CFR Part 52 and Part 66 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not
subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order
12372 or Health Systems Agency review.

$$P5 END ************************************************************
 
$$P6 BEGIN PA-92-35 *************************************************
 
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT:  NURSING AND BIOLOGY INTERFACE
 
PA:  PA-92-35
 
P.T. 44; K.W. 0785130, 1002000, 0785035
 
National Center for Nursing Research
 
PURPOSE
 
This program announcement identifies specific research training and
career development support mechanisms for the purpose of integrating
biological theory, measurements, and techniques with nursing research
and practice.  Applicants must focus on basic biological investigations
pertaining to nursing clinical questions, technological and/or clinical
protocols, and nursing research based on biobehavioral theories,
measurements, and techniques.
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
All policies and requirements that govern the grant programs of the
Public Health Service apply.  Applicants must meet the respective
criteria for the Individual National Research Service Awards (NRSA) or
the Clinical Investigator and Academic Investigator Awards as
stipulated by the National Center for Nursing Research (NCNR) and PHS
policy.  Applications from minority individuals and women are
encouraged.
 
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
 
The mechanisms of support for this program will be the Individual
Predoctoral NRSA fellowship (F31); the Individual Postdoctoral NRSA
fellowship (F32); the NRSA Senior Fellowship (F33); training positions
on existing Institutional NRSA research training grants (T32s) funded
by other NIH components; the NCNR Academic Investigator Award (K07);
and the NCNR Clinical Investigator Award (KO8).  The regulations that
govern the research training and career development programs of the
Public Health Service and NCNR will prevail.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
An important focus of nursing research in the improvement of patient
care is the interaction of biological and behavioral factors associated
with acute and chronic illness and health promotion and disease
prevention.  NCNR believes that in order to explore this biobehavioral
interface, training and career development resources must be focused on
areas of biological science that underlie nursing practice.
 
Recognizing the rapid changes that are taking place in the biomedical
sciences and the effect these changes will have on nursing research and
practice, the biological content of the NCNR portfolio was analyzed.
Nurse physiologists comprising the Biological Task Force recommended
strategies to integrate nursing research with state-of-the-art
biological science.  These recommendations were approved by the
National Advisory Council for Nursing Research.  A long-range plan for
implementing the Task Force's recommendations includes research
initiatives to increase the interface of biological sciences with
nursing research as a basis for clinical practice and education.  The
first step in this plan is to increase opportunities for research
training and career development in the biological sciences.
 
The specific objectives of NCNR research training and career
development in the biological sciences are:  1) to develop a cadre of
nurse scientists with research training at the predoctoral and
postdoctoral level in the biological science; and 2) to enhance the
knowledge base of doctorally prepared mid-career nurses whose research
involves biological science.  Examples of biological science
disciplines are physiology, pharmacology, anatomy, biochemistry,
molecular biology, genetics, pathology, and/or immunology.  The overall
goal of this training initiative is to increase the number of nurse
researchers in the biological sciences prepared to explore the
biological underpinnings of nursing practice and research.  To
accomplish this goal, it is mandatory for each applicant to include a
nurse scientist as a co-sponsor when the biological scientist does not
have a nursing degree.
 
Opportunities for nurse scientists to collaborate with biological
scientists from other disciplines are encouraged.  Training and career
development programs should provide opportunities for nurses to conduct
supervised clinical and basic biological research with the primary
objective of extending their research skills and knowledge to the
interface between nursing and one of the biological disciplines.  The
academic, clinical, and laboratory environment should facilitate growth
and development for promising students, new research scientists, and
mid-career scientists.  Examples of important training opportunities
include ongoing interactive departmental seminars, a faculty well
published in refereed journals, and an interactive, interdisciplinary
research team with multiple funding sources including an established
sponsor with a funded program of research.
 
Extraordinary advances in scientific knowledge have confirmed the
essential unity of basic biological and behavioral research.
Behavioral research, mental health research, and psychosocial research
can no longer be considered as separate from genetics, molecular
biology, and immunology.  For example, information processing by the
brain is a major factor in behavioral disorders and stress reactions.
The autonomic nervous system can be modified through cognitive
techniques such as biofeedback and relaxation.  New fields such as
psychoneuroimmunology focus on the integral relationships and
reciprocal interactions of the immune, nervous, and endocrine systems
and other systems of the body that affect health and well-being.
 
o  Targeted Predoctoral (F31) and Postdoctoral (F32) Fellowshipships
and Targeted Senior Fellows (F33)
 
The F31, F32, and F33 biological science fellowships will focus on
biomedical science development, advanced clinical science development,
and supervised research training experience.  Applicants must integrate
an area of biological theory with a relevant nursing problem.  For
example, postdoctoral studies in biochemistry targeting gluconeogenesis
would be relevant to the nursing problem of caring for critically
injured multiple trauma patients who experience severe organ failure.
It is necessary that sponsor(s) be either a biological nurse scientist
or a biological scientist with a nurse scientist as co-sponsor.
 
The F31 predoctoral biological science fellowship is designed to
provide predoctoral nurses with supervised clinical and/or basic
biological research training leading to the Ph.D.  Applicants must be
registered nurses.
 
The F32 postdoctoral biological science fellowship, a priority of the
NCNR, is designed to provide postdoctoral research training to nurse
scientists to refine their research interests, initiate independent
research programs, and to gain depth of knowledge in their clinical
and/or basic biological research area.  In order to prepare scientists
to explore the biological underpinnings of nursing practice and
research, applicants must integrate biological science with a nursing
problem or a clinical practice issue.  Priority status will be given to
nurses with doctorates who submit a successful postdoctoral NRSA
application enabling continued training without a time break.  To
ensure maximum growth and development as a research scientist and to
increase the integration of new theories and ideas, postdoctoral
fellows are advised to choose universities or departments other than
the site of their doctoral training.
 
The F33 senior biological science fellowship award is designed to
provide advanced training for experienced nurse scientists (with at
least seven years of relevant research experience beyond the doctoral
level).  These awards will enable nurse scientists to take time from
regular professional responsibilities and to make major changes in the
direction of their research careers or to broaden their scientific
background by acquiring new research capabilities.  This award is
directed at nurse researchers well prepared in biological science who
desire to learn new methodologies and techniques.  For example, a nurse
scientist might combine sabbatical time with F33 funding to investigate
the biobehavioral link between depression and lymphocyte function in
chronically ill patients.
 
Meritorious applications that are responsive to the objectives of this
program announcement will be given high program relevance.
 
o  Training Positions on Existing Institutional Training Grants (T32)
Currently Funded by Other NIH Institutes, Centers and Divisions
 
Existing institutional training grants within NIH may provide nurse
scientists predoctoral and postdoctoral opportunities for biomedical
research training.  These traineeships are designed to place qualified
individuals in biomedical science environments.  Candidates must have
co-sponsors with nurse scientists when mentorship with biological nurse
scientists is not possible.  Nurse candidates are advised to contact
the T32 Principal Investigator directly to discuss potential
predoctoral or postdoctoral opportunities.
 
o  Targeted Mid-Career Academic (K07) and Clinical Investigator (K08)
Award
 
The purpose of these targeted awards is two-fold:  (1) to teach
biological measurements and techniques to accomplished nurse
researchers who have little formal training in biological science but
conduct research in a biobehavioral framework; and (2) to teach
accomplished nurse biological researchers state-of-the-science
biological research, especially cutting edge biological technology and
bioinstrumentation applicable to nursing research and practice.  To
ensure a commitment to nursing research and in order to achieve an
effective interface between the biological and nursing foci, the
candidate must have a nurse scientist as a co-sponsor when the basic
biological scientist or clinically trained scientist is not a nurse.
The objectives of these mechanisms are to interface biological science
with nursing research, with a focus on clinical practice.  These
targeted awards are designed to provide mid-career development in
molecular biology, physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, genetics,
pathology, pharmacology, and immunology.
 
The NCNR KO7 mechanism allows promising nursing faculty to take time
from administrative and teaching duties to establish research programs
and mature into independent investigators.  The candidate must be
sponsored by a basic biological scientist who is recognized as an
established investigator in the research area proposed, who has had
experience in training independent investigators, and who will provide
the mentorship required in the respective dimension of biological
science.
 
The NCNR KO8 mechanism enables promising clinically trained individuals
with a doctoral degree to become independent scientists under a
sponsor.   Applicants from institutions that have a GCRC funded by the
NIH National Center for Research Resources (NCRR) may wish to identify
the GCRC as a resource for conducting the proposed research.  A letter
of agreement from either the GCRC program director or Principal
Investigator of the NIH-supported program must be included with the
application.
 
NCNR guidelines for the standard KO7 and KO8 mechanisms have been
published in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts, Volume 20, No. 20,
May 24, 1991.
 
In addition to the established KO7 and KO8 mechanisms, the usual
guidelines of four to eight years beyond the doctorate may be waived
for nurse scientists who have been Principal Investigators in the past
or may be a current Principal Investigator of a research grant (R01).
If a candidates exceeds the eight-year limit stipulated in the
guidelines, an explanation of special qualifying circumstances must be
provided in the application.
 
Meritorious applications that are responsive to the objectives of this
program announcement will be given high program relevance.
 
STUDY POPULATIONS
 
It is the NIH policy that women and minorities must be included in
clinical study populations.  The study design must seek to identify any
pertinent gender or minority population differences.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications in response to this announcement will be reviewed in
competition with other applications and in accord with the customary
NIH peer review procedures and criteria.  Applications will be reviewed
for scientific and technical merit by an initial review group.  Second
level review for the Career Development (K07, K08) awards will be
conducted by an appropriate national advisory council.  Second level
review of individual fellowship (F31, F32, F33, T32) applications will
be conducted by an appropriate Executive Review Group.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applicants for individual NRSA fellowships must use form PHS 416-1
(rev. 4/89).  Career Development Award applicants must use PHS 398
(rev. 10/88).  In order to expedite processing of the applications
indicate that this is in response to this program announcement on line
3 of the PHS 416-1 face page; and line 2 of the PHS 398 face page.
Applications must be submitted to the Division of Research Grants in
accordance with the usual receipt dates.  The mailing address is:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
INQUIRES
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning this program announcement
are encouraged.  The opportunity to clarify any issues or questions
from potential applicants is welcome.  Direct inquires regarding
programmatic issues to:
 
Hilary D. Sigmon, Ph.D., R.N.
Nurse Scientist Administrator
National Center for Nursing Research
Building 31, Room 5B03
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0523
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Ms. Sally Nichols
Grants Management Officer
National Center for Nursing Research
Building 31, Room 5B06
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0237
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.361, Nursing Research.  Awards are made under the authority of
the PHS Act, Sections, 301, 483, 484, 485, and 487 as amended by Public
Law 99-158 and 97-219.  Awards are administered under PHS grants
policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$P6 END ************************************************************
 
**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS
THE CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.
APPLICANTS WHO USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO
FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE
ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS:
 
5333 WESTBARD AVENUE
BETHESDA, MD  20816