Subject: NIH GUIDE - V21(03) 01/24/92 - P2/3
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 92 09:12 EST

Hi Paul,
   Please post to the NIH LIstserver as:
    NIHGUIDE2.920124
                    Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19920124 V21N03 P2O3 ************************************
provides short-term support for staff or faculty members to conduct
full-time research for three to five months each year, during the
summer or another portion of the academic year, over a maximum period
of four years.
 
Long-term Investigator Research Supplement.  This supplement provides
long-term research support for staff or faculty members to conduct
research in the biomedical or behavioral sciences.  Support is
provided for up to four years at a minimum of 30 percent effort
during each 12-month period.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
The investigator with disabilities may be affiliated with either the
applicant institution or any other institution.  The investigator
must have a doctoral degree, be beyond the level of a research
trainee, be a member of the staff or faculty, and have at least one
year of postdoctoral experience.  The investigator may have received
prior research or research training support from the NIH or ADAMHA or
support under the Minority Biomedical Research Support (MBRS),
Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC), small grants, or Academic
Research Enhancement Awards (AREA) programs.  But, an individual who
has received independent research support as a Principal Investigator
on an individual research grant (e.g., R01, R29) or as a project
leader on a program project or center grant (e.g., P01, P50), or as a
Principal Investigator on an individual research career award (e.g.,
K02, K04, K08) is not eligible for support under this program.  See
the special exception to this restriction for currently funded,
established investigators who become disabled (see section 6).
 
PROVISIONS
 
The faculty or staff supplemental award is for a maximum of $50,000
in direct costs per year.  A maximum of $40,000 may be requested for
salary and fringe benefits.  Funds up to $10,000 may also be
requested for research supplies and travel.  Funds over and above
this $50,000 limit may be requested to permit accommodation to the
research environment.  This may include research equipment, but only
if it is directly related to both the project AND to accommodating
the disabilities of the investigator.  In all cases, equipment may
only be purchased with prior approval of the NIH or ADAMHA awarding
component.  The maximum period of support for any investigator is
four years.
 
The amount of salary requested must be consistent with the policies
of the parent grantee institution (and, if applicable, the disabled
investigator's employing institution) and must be related to the
percent effort of the investigator.
 
See the GENERAL PROVISIONS section (above) for application
procedures, review criteria, and funding.
 
6.  Supplements for Established Investigators who Become Disabled
 
DESCRIPTION
 
Established investigators on NIH or ADAMHA research, program project,
or center grants, who become disabled during the current project
period, may request special accommodations to permit completion of
the currently funded research project.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Any currently funded Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator or
other senior staff (hereinafter referred to as Established
Investigator) on an NIH or ADAMHA research project grant, program
project grant, or center grant may request support for special
equipment, an assistant, or other modifications to facilitate
accommodation to a disabling injury or illness that has occurred
during the current project period.
 
PROVISIONS
 
Support will be limited to items that will permit the investigator to
complete the remaining years of a currently funded research project.
This might include:  salary support for an individual who can assist
the Established Investigator in meeting the goals of the research
project, specialized equipment, such as computers, or modifications
of the working environment.  In all cases, the requested support must
be consistent with the type of disability and the nature of the
approved research.  The total amount of support requested under this
supplement must be reasonable in relationship to the direct costs of
the parent award and the Established Investigator's role and effort
on the project.  In future competing applications, funds for
continuation of the accommodations provided under this supplement
must be requested in the parent grant application and may NOT be
requested as a research supplement.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
A request for a supplement may be submitted at any time.  In making
requests, the grantee institution, on behalf of the Established
Investigator, must submit the request for supplemental funds directly
to the awarding component that supports the parent grant.  The
request must include the following:
 
o  A completed face page from Grant Application Form PHS 398 with the
title and grant number of the parent grant and a statement that
specifies which type of supplement is being requested.
 
o  A statement by the Established Investigator describing the nature
of the disability and the attendant limitations on his/her capacity
to complete the goals established for the current project period.
 
o  A statement from the institution certifying the disability and
describing the types of accommodations requested and their
relationship to the research project and the disabilities of the
Established Investigator.
 
o  A proposed budget entered on budget pages from Grant Application
Form PHS 398.  The budget must reflect all special accommodations to
support the adaptation of the Established Investigator to the
research environment.
 
The request must be signed by the Principal Investigator, the
Established Investigator with disabilities (if other than the
Principal Investigator), and the appropriate institutional business
official.
 
REVIEW CRITERIA
 
The staff of the particular awarding component will review requests
for supplements using the following criteria:
 
o  The appropriateness of the proposed accommodations for the
Established Investigator regarding his/her role on the research
project and the nature of the disability.
 
o  The appropriateness of the cost of the proposed accommodations to
be paid from the supplement in relationship to the total direct cost
of the parent project.
 
FUNDING
 
See the section on funding in the GENERAL PROVISIONS section, above.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Principal Investigators interested in participating in any of these
supplemental programs are encouraged to contact NIH or ADAMHA staff
administering the parent grant.  For general information about the
Supplements for Individuals with Disabilities, contact the following
staff person in the appropriate awarding component:
 
NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
 
National Institute on Aging
Deputy Associate Director
Office of Extramural Affairs
Building 31, Room 5C02
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9322
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Assistant Director, Division of Extramural Activities
Westwood Building, Room 7A03
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5030
 
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Director, Extramural Programs
Westwood Building, Room 705
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0159
 
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Special Assistant to the Deputy Director
Building 31, Room 2A03
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0104
 
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Director, Division of Extramural Activities
6120 Executive Blvd., EPS-400B
Rockville, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8693
 
National Institute of Dental Research
Director, Extramural Program
Westwood Building, Room 503
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7723
 
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Assistant Director for Grants and Contracts
Division of Extramural Activities
Westwood Building, Room 657
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7793
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Director, Division of Extramural Research and Training
Building 3, Room 301A
P.O. Box 12233
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
Telephone:  (919) 541-7723
 
National Institute of General Medical Sciences
 
For general information contact:
 
Assistant Director
Referral and Liaison, NIGMS, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 925
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0593
 
For information on procedures for initiating an application for a
supplement, contact the program administrator of the parent grant,
or:
 
Deputy Associate Director
Office of Program Activities, NIGMS, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 938
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7063
 
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Deputy Director, Division of Extramural Activities
Federal Building, Room 1016
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-4188
 
National Cancer Institute
Director, Division of Extramural Activities
Building 31, Room 10A03
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5147
 
National Eye Institute
Research Training and Resources Officer
Building 31, Room 6A48
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5983
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Director, Division of Extramural Affairs
Westwood Building, Room 7A17B
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7416
 
National Center for Nursing Research
Director, Extramural Programs
Building 31, Room 5B03
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0523
 
National Library of Medicine
Acting Associate Director, Division of Extramural Programs
Building 38A, 5N505
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-4621
 
National Center for Research Resources
Deputy Director for Extramural Research Resources
Building 12A, Room 4011
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6023
 
National Center for Human Genome Research
Chief Research Grants Branch
Building 38A, Room 612
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7531
 
ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, AND MENTAL HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
 
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Associate Director, Division of Basic Research
Parklawn Building, 16C-06
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-2530
 
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Public Health Analyst, Science Policy and Analysis Branch
Office of Science Policy
Parklawn Building, 10A-54
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6071
 
National Institute of Mental Health
Associate Director, Research Training and Research Resources
Division of Clinical Research
Parklawn Building, 10-95
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3264
 
National Institute of Mental Health
Associate Director, Research Training and Research Development
Division of Basic Brain and Behavioral Sciences
Parklawn Building, 11-95
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4347
 
National Institute of Mental Health
Associate Director, Research Training
Division of Applied and Services Research
Parklawn Building, 18C-26
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3685
 
                         NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
 
$$N2 END ************************************************************
 
$$R1 BEGIN NIH-ES-92-17 *********************************************
 
EVALUATION OF THE TOXIC AND CARCINOGENIC POTENTIAL OF ISOPRENE,
INDIUM PHOSPHIDE, AND GALLIUM ARSENIDE WHEN INHALED IN FISCHER 344/N
RATS AND B6C3F1 MICE
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 3, Part II of II, January 24, 1992
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-ES-92-17
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1007009, 0715035
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
 
The purpose of this contract is to evaluate the toxic and
carcinogenic potential of isoprene, gallium arsenide, and indium
phosphide when inhaled in Fischer 344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice.  The
base contract award will include work activities associated with bulk
chemistry, generation and monitoring developmental work, and health
and safety concerns.  The Government may, pending the availability of
funds, exercise options for:  an inhalation study of glutaraldehyde,
a 104-week chronic study of glutaraldehyde, a 104- week chronic study
of isoprene; a 104-week chronic study of gallium arsenide; a 13-week
study of indium phosphide, and a 104-week chronic study of indium
phosphide.  These studies shall be conducted in accordance with the
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Good Laboratory Practice
Regulations as specified in Part 58 "Good Laboratory Practices for
Nonclinical Laboratory Studies" (Federal Register, Friday, December
22, 1978, Part II and any later interpretations published by the
FDA).
 
Award of one cost-reimbursement, completion-type contract with an
estimated period of performance for the base contract of
approximately one year on an open competition basis is contemplated
as a result of this solicitation.  Exercise of all options under this
solicitation may result in a multi-year cost-reimbursement type
contract with a total term of four years nine months that would be
incrementally funded.  All responsible sources may submit a proposal
that will be considered by the Agency.  Expected release date of the
RFP is January 27, 1992, with proposals due March 12, 1992.
 
Requests should reference RFP NIH-ES-92-17 and be sent to:
 
Contracts and Procurement Management Branch, OM
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
ATTN:  Marilyn B. Whaley, Contract Specialist
79 T.W. Alexander Drive, 4401 Building
P.O. Box 12874
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
Telephone:  (919) 541-5770
 
$$R1 END ************************************************************
 
$$R2 BEGIN NIH-ES-92-18 *********************************************
 
EVALUATION OF THE TOXIC AND CARCINOGENIC POTENTIAL OF SODIUM FLUORIDE
AND METHYLEUGENOL ADMINISTERED ORALLY IN LABORATORY ANIMALS
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 3, Part II of II, January 24, 1992
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-ES-92-18
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1007009, 0715035, 0740021
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
 
The purpose of this contract is to evaluate the toxic and
carcinogenic potential of sodium fluoride and methyleugenol
administered orally in laboratory animals.  The base contract award
will include work activities associated with bulk chemistry, dose
formulation and dose analysis developmental work, and health and
safety concerns.  The Government may, pending the availability of
funds, exercise options for:  a study of anthraquinone, a 13-week
study of anthraquinone, a 104-week chronic study of anthraquinone, a
104-week chronic study of sodium fluoride, and a 104-week chronic
study of methyleugenol.  Laboratory animals, that will be used in
these studies are Fischer 344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice.  These studies
shall be conducted in accordance with the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) Good Laboratory Practice Regulations as
specified in Part 58 "Good Laboratory Practices for Nonclinical
Laboratory Studies" (Federal Register, Friday, December 22, 1978,
Part II and any later interpretations published by the FDA).
 
Award of one cost-reimbursement, completion type contract with an
estimated period of performance for the base contract of
approximately ten months on an open competition basis is contemplated
as a result of this solicitation.  Exercise of all options under this
solicitation may result in a multi-year cost-reimbursement type
contract with a total term of five years ten months that would be
incrementally funded.  All responsible sources may submit a proposal
that will be considered by the Agency.  Expected release date of the
RFP is January 27, 1992, with proposals due March 12, 1992.
 
Requests should reference RFP NIH-ES-92-18 and should be forwarded
to:
 
Contracts and Procurement Management Branch, OM
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
ATTN:  Marilyn B. Whaley, Contract Specialist
79 T.W. Alexander Drive, 4401 Building
P.O. Box 12874
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
Telephone:  (919) 541-5770
 
$$R2 END ************************************************************
 
$$R3 BEGIN NIH-ES-92-19 *********************************************
 
EVALUATION OF THE TOXIC AND CARCINOGENIC POTENTIAL OF SODIUM NITRITE
AND O-NITROTOLUENE ADMINISTERED ORALLY IN LABORATORY ANIMALS
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 3, Part II of II, January 24, 1992
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-ES-92-19
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1007009, 0715035, 0740021
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
 
The purpose of this contract is to evaluate the toxic and
carcinogenic potential of sodium nitrite and o-nitrotoluene
administered orally in laboratory animals.  The base contract award
will include work activities associated with bulk chemistry, dose
formulation and dose analysis developmental work, and health and
safety concerns.  The Government may, pending the availability of
funds, exercise options for:  a study of Cinnamaldehyde; a 13-week
study of cinnamaldehyde, a 104-week chronic study of cinnamaldehyde,
a 104-week chronic study of sodium nitrite, and a 104- week chronic
study of o-nitrotoluene.  Laboratory animals, that will be used in
these studies, are Fischer 344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice.  These studies
shall be conducted in accordance with the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) Good Laboratory Practice Regulations as
specified in Part 58 "Good Laboratory Practices for Nonclinical
Laboratory Studies" (Federal Register, Friday, December 22, 1978,
Part II and any later interpretations published by the FDA).
 
Award of one cost-reimbursement, completion-type contract with an
estimated period of performance for the base contract of
approximately ten months on an open-competition basis is contemplated
as a result of this solicitation.  Exercise of all options under this
solicitation may result in a multi-year, cost-reimbursement type
contract with a total term of five years six months that would be
incrementally funded.  All responsible sources may submit a proposal
that will be considered by the Agency.  Expected release date of the
RFP is January 27, 1992, with proposals due March 12, 1992.
 
Requests should reference RFP NIH-ES-92-19 and be forwarded to:
 
Contracts and Procurement Management Branch, OM
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
ATTN:  Marilyn B. Whaley, Contract Specialist
79 T.W. Alexander Drive, 4401 Building, P.O. Box 12874
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
Telephone:  (919) 541-5770
 
$$R3 END ************************************************************
 
$$R4 BEGIN NIH-ES-92-20 *********************************************
 
EVALUATION OF THE TOXIC AND CARCINOGENIC POTENTIAL OF CITRAL
ADMINISTERED ORALLY IN LABORATORY ANIMALS
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 3, Part II of II, January 24, 1992
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-ES-92-20
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1007009, 0715035, 0740021
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
 
The purpose of this contract is to evaluate the toxic and
carcinogenic potential of citral administered orally in laboratory
animals.  The base contract award will include work activities
associated with bulk chemistry, dose formulation and dose analysis
developmental work, and health and safety concerns.  The Government
may, pending the availability of funds, exercise options for:  a
study of 1,4-butanediol, a 13-week study of 1,4-butanediol, a
104-week chronic study of 1,4-butanediol, a 13-week study of citral,
and, a 104-week chronic study of citral.  Laboratory animals, that
will be used in these studies are Fischer 344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice.
These studies shall be conducted in accordance with the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) Good Laboratory Practice Regulations as
specified in Part 58 "Good Laboratory Practices for Nonclinical
Laboratory Studies" (Federal Register, Friday, December 22, 1978,
Part II and any later interpretations published by the FDA).
 
Award of one cost-reimbursement, completion-type contract with an
estimated period of performance for the base contract of
approximately four months as a set-aside for a small business concern
is contemplated as a result of this solicitation.  Exercise of all
options under this solicitation could result in a multi-year, cost-
reimbursement type contract with a total term of five years six
months that would be incrementally funded.  All responsible sources
may submit a proposal that will be considered by the Agency.
Expected release date of the RFP is January 27, 1992 with proposals
due March 12, 1992.
 
Requests should reference RFP NIH-ES-92-20 and be forwarded to:
 
Contracts and Procurement Management Branch, OM
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
ATTN:  Marilyn B. Whaley, Contract Specialist
79 T.W. Alexander Drive, 4401 Building
P.O. Box 12874
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
Telephone:  (919) 541-5770
 
$$R4 END ************************************************************
 
$$R5 BEGIN NR-92-02 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
EXPLORATORY CENTERS FOR BIOBEHAVIORAL SYMPTOM MANAGEMENT
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 3, Part II of II, January 24, 1992
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  NR-92-02
 
P.T. 04; K.W. 0715020, 0785130, 0404000, 0785035, 0710030
 
National Center for Nursing Research
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  March 31, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  May 7, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Center for Nursing Research (NCNR) announces the
availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) for exploratory
centers (P20) for the development of innovative clinical assessment
and management strategies for symptoms commonly experienced by
acutely or chronically ill patients.  These clinical assessment and
management strategies must address the biological and behavioral
interface of the selected symptom(s).  The center must have an
interdisciplinary approach with a focus on clinical research, basic
research, or a combination.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Request
for Applications (RFA), Exploratory Centers for Biobehavioral Symptom
Management, is related to the priority areas of cancer, heart
disease, and stroke, and diabetes and chronic disabling conditions.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0 or Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted from domestic, for-profit and non-
profit, public and private universities, colleges, hospitals, or
medical centers.  Applications from foreign institutions are
ineligible for the center program mechanism.  Although there are no
requirements for the presence of funded research grants, pilot
studies that are based on prior studies and an evolving program of
research will be more competitive.  Those applicant institutions with
ongoing funded research projects, such as R01s, must explain the
appropriateness of the exploratory center mechanism for their
institution and how science will be advanced for the symptom(s)
selected.  Applications from minority individuals and women are
encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The support mechanism for this RFA is the exploratory center grant
(P20).  The exploratory center grant must consist of (1) an
administrative and planning core providing administrative,
coordinating, planning, logistical, and/or methodological (e.g.,
research design, data analysis) support and (2) feasibility/pilot
studies.  The initial award period is for three years, and the award
may not be renewed.
 
Applicants for exploratory center grants may request up to three
years of support at a maximum of $125,000 total costs per year.
 
The majority of the funds under this RFA will be devoted to
small-scale studies.  The Administrative and Planning Core may not
exceed 20 percent of the direct costs.  The anticipated award date
for the grants is September 30, 1992.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
Approximately $300,000 for the first year will be committed to fund
applications submitted in response to this RFA.  It is anticipated
that a minimum of two applications will be funded.  This level of
support is dependent on the receipt of a sufficient number of
applications of high scientific merit.  Although this program is
provided for in the financial plans of the NCNR, the award of grants
pursuant to this RFA is also contingent upon the availability of
funds for this purpose.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
This initiative directly builds on the ongoing work of a panel of
scientific experts on symptom management convened as part of the
development of the National Nursing Research Agenda.  There has been
a great deal of interest in the assessment and management of symptoms
experienced by patients both in clinical settings and in home
settings.
 
The goal of this RFA is to stimulate the development of innovative
clinical assessment and management strategies for acutely and
chronically ill patients in order to more effectively handle the more
commonly experienced symptoms.  These innovative clinical assessment
and management strategies may focus on the prevention of the
symptom(s), the amelioration of the symptom(s), or the attenuation of
the symptom(s) and continuing occurrence if total alleviation is not
possible.  These innovative clinical assessment and management
strategies must address the biological and behavioral interface of
the symptom(s) being considered.  Specific behavioral and/or
psychosocial strategies need to be matched with specific
state-of-the-art biological, chemical, and immunological measurements
and techniques to provide a comprehensive picture of the symptom(s)
being explored.  For example, depression and fatigue are two
biological and psychological stress responses during recovery of a
myocardial infarction.  Immunological, chemical, and biological
indices of recovery might include hematological parameters,
lymphocytic levels, and electrocardiographic readings.  Understanding
the biological basis of the symptom(s) manifested by acutely and
chronically ill patients will increase the scientific knowledge base
for these symptoms and promote the development of behavioral
strategies that could be generalized across a variety of patient
populations in the future.
 
The theoretical basis for the planned feasibility/pilot studies must
be clearly explicated for the behavioral, psychosocial, and
physiological strategies described in the exploratory center grant
application.  The symptom(s) for exploration is to be selected by the
applicants and may include, but is not limited to, the high priority
symptoms of pain, fatigue, dyspnea, nausea, vomiting, cognitive
impairment, altered sleep or rest patterns, and depression or anxiety
secondary to a physical illness.  However, symptoms specific to
psychiatric disorders are included in the scope of this RFA.  One or
more symptoms may be selected by each applicants depending on the
scientific expertise available at the applicant institution or
clinical setting and the theoretical basis chosen to explicate the
research.  An interdisciplinary approach must be utilized.  Although
feasibility/pilot studies addressing only pharmacological
interventions are not acceptable, the inclusion of pharmacological
strategies in combination with nonpharmacologic strategies is
appropriate for a multimodal management approach.
 
Selected symptoms are highlighted in the full RFA to reflect the
critical need to develop innovative clinical assessment and
management of symptoms commonly experienced by acutely and
chronically ill patients.  Although specific research needs are
identified, they are provided only to stimulate creative research
ideas and not to be considered as all inclusive or limiting in scope.
The three symptoms selected were ones considered by the expert panel
on symptom management, but no specific symptom (or its underlying
disease or life event) will be given preferential treatment during
the review and funding processes.  The scientific merit of the entire
exploratory grant application is the crucial element to be considered
in the review and funding processes.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit by March 31, 1992, a
letter of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed
research, the name, address, and telephone number of the Principal
Investigator, the identities of other key personnel and participating
institutions, and the number and title of the RFA in response to
which an application may be submitted.
 
Although a letter of intent is not required, is not binding, and does
not enter into the review of subsequent applications, the information
that it contains is helpful in planning for the review of
applications.  It helps NCNR staff estimate the potential review
workload and avoid possible conflict of interest in the review.
 
The letter of intent is to be sent to:
 
Ethel Jackson, D.D.S.
Chief and Scientific Review Administrator
National Center for Nursing Research
Building 31, Room 5B19
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88) must be used
in applying for these grants.  These forms are available at most
institutional business offices and from the Office of Grants
Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of
Health, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 449, Bethesda, MD 20892 (telephone
301-496-7441).  Special application instructions apply to the
exploratory centers program RFA; and are included in the RFA.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed by NIH staff for
completeness and responsiveness.  Incomplete applications will be
returned to the applicant without further consideration.  Those
applications that are complete and responsive will be evaluated in
accordance with the criteria stated in the RFA for scientific/
technical merit by an appropriate peer review group convened by the
NCNR.  Applications may be subjected to triage by a peer review group
to determine competitiveness relative to the other applications
received in response to this RFA.  The review criteria for triage are
identified in the RFA.  The NIH will withdraw from further
competition those applications judged by triage to be noncompetitive
for award and notify the applicant and institutional official.  Those
applications judged to be competitive will undergo further scientific
merit review.  The second level of review will be provided by the
National Advisory Council for Nursing Research.
 
AWARD CRITERIA
 
Applications selected for funding will be from schools of nursing,
departments of nursing, or other programs that have appropriately
prepared individuals for research.  In order to expand the number of
researchers conducting research and additional nursing research
programs, institutions whose schools of nursing or departmental
components have been selected for funding under previous NCNR Centers
program RFAs (P50, P20) will not be selected for funding under this
RFA.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning this RFA are encouraged.
The opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from potential
applicants is welcome.
 
Direct requests for the RFA and inquiries regarding programmatic
issues to:
 
Laura A. James, Ph.D., R.N.
Nurse Scientist Administrator
Acute and Chronic Illness Branch
National Center for Nursing Research
Building 31, Room 5B03
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0523
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Sally Nichols
Grants Management Officer
National Center for Nursing Research
Building 31, Room 5B06
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0237
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.336, Nursing Research.  Awards are made under
authorization of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A
(Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and
285) and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal
Regulations 42 CFR 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not
subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive
Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review, April 6, 1988.
 
$$R5 END ************************************************************
 
$$R6 BEGIN CA-92-13 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
IMPLEMENTATION GRANTS FOR GENE THERAPY PROGRAMS IN CANCER TREATMENT
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 3, Part II of II, January 24, 1992
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  CA-92-13
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0745032, 0755015, 0710030
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  April 3, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  May 15, 1992
 
THE REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS (RFA) ANNOUNCED IN THIS NOTICE CONTAINS
ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR THE PREPARATION OF AN APPLICATION.
POTENTIAL APPLICANTS MAY OBTAIN THE COMPLETE RFA FROM THE CONTACT
NAMED IN INQUIRIES.
 
PURPOSE
 
The Division of Cancer Treatment (DCT) of the National Cancer
Institute (NCI) invites program project grant applications (P01) from
interested investigators to establish interactive Gene Therapy
Programs (GTPs) with the goal of conducting gene therapy clinical
trials for cancer treatment.  The purpose of this RFA is to promote
the design and implementation of clinical trials of gene therapy, to
support the requisite preclinical studies establishing the scientific
and technical basis for human studies, and to foster the development
of interactions between basic scientists and clinical researchers
necessary for bringing gene therapy to patient trials.  The program
project grant mechanism will support the establishment of broadly
based, multi- disciplinary and multi-institutional research programs
centered around this goal.  For the purposes of this RFA, gene
therapy will be defined as the transfer of a functioning gene(s) into
somatic cells to treat disease.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Implementation Grants for Gene Therapy Programs in Cancer Treatment,
is related to the priority area of cancer. Potential applicants may
obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325 (telephone 202/783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic non-profit and for-profit
organizations, public and private, such as universities, colleges,
hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local governments, and
eligible agencies of the Federal government.  Applications may be
submitted from a single institution or may include arrangements with
one or more additional institutions, if appropriate.  Applications
from minority individuals and women are encouraged.  Applications
from minority individuals and women are encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of the program will be through the National Institutes of
Health (NIH) program project research grant (P01). Responsibilities
for the planning, direction, and execution of the proposed project
will be solely that of the applicant.  The total project period for
applications submitted in response to the present RFA may not exceed
four years.  The anticipated award date will be September 30, 1992.
 
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  If the NCI determine that there
is a sufficient continuing program need, the NCI will invite
recipients of awards under this RFA to submit competitive
continuation applications for review.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
Approximately $5,000,000 in total costs per year for four years will
be committed to fund applications submitted in response to this RFA.
It is anticipated that six to eight awards will be made.  This
funding level is dependent on the receipt of a sufficient number of
applications of high scientific merit.  Although this program is
provided for in the financial plans of the NCI, the award of grants
pursuant to this RFA is also contingent upon the continuing
availability of funds for this purpose.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
The Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program is seeking applications for
research program project grants (P01) to establish interactive GTPs
with the goal of conducting gene therapy clinical trials for cancer
treatment.  The applications must be focused on a specific clinical
therapeutic approach.  These awards are envisioned to serve as
"implementation grants" for the development of a collaborative effort
between a multidisciplinary and, possibly, multi-institutional group
of investigators to rapidly move forward new approaches in gene
therapy of cancer into the clinic.  Funds are to be used to conduct
the necessary preclinical studies to prepare a clinical product or
procedure for human trials and to gain regulatory approval to conduct
such trials.  The Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program will provide
assistance in applying for regulatory approvals.  The NCI is
encouraging investigators to forge new collaborations with other
research institutions and private industry to obtain the necessary
expertise in all aspects of the research program.
 
Initial approaches to gene therapy would involve the alteration and
administration of human somatic cells.  Future techniques may include
approaches such as the direct administration of genetic material to
patients.  Examples of gene therapy for the treatment of cancer
include: (1) implantation of tumor cells transfected with functioning
cytokine genes to elicit an immune response; (2) insertion of genes
into host effector cells that will enhance their ability to recognize
and bind tumor specifically and/or will potentiate the inflammatory
response of the host at the site of tumor; (3) insertion of genes
into normal cells of the host, such as bone marrow stem cells, that
will increase their resistance to the toxic effects of chemotherapy;
(4) in vivo introduction of genes into cancer cells that will restore
suppressor gene function or neutralize the function of activated
oncogenes that maintain the neoplastic phenotype.  Investigators are
not limited to the above studies; however, all studies must be
therapeutic in intent and not solely diagnostic.
 
STUDY POPULATIONS
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit by April 3, 1992, a letter
of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed research,
the name, address, and telephone number of the Principal
Investigator, the identities of other key personnel and participating
institutions, and the number and title of the RFA in response to
which the application is being submitted.
 
Although a letter of intent is not required, is not binding, and does
not enter into the review of subsequent applications, the information
is helpful in planning for the review of applications.  It allows NCI
staff to estimate the potential review workload and to avoid conflict
of interest in the review.
 
The letter of intent is be sent to:
 
Ms. Diane Bronzert
Program Director, Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Room 734
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8866
FAX:  (301) 480-4663
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applications MUST be received by May 15, 1992.  If an application is
received after that date, it will be returned.  The research grant
application form PHS 398 (revised 10/88 or 9/91) must be used in
applying for these grants.  These forms are available at most
institutional business offices; from the Office of Grant Inquiries,
Division of Research Grants, National Institutes of Health, Room 449,
Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20892,
telephone 301/496-7441; and from the NCI Program Director named
below.  Copies of the "Guidelines for the Program Project Grant of
the National Cancer Institute" (revised 1987) for the development of
a program project grant application are available from the Program
Director and from the NCI Referral Officer, Division of Extramural
Activities, NCI, Room 848, Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard Avenue,
Bethesda, MD 20892.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed by the Division of
Research Grants (DRG) for completeness.  Incomplete applications will
be returned to the applicant without further consideration.
Questions concerning the relevance of proposed research to the RFA
may be directed to program staff as described in the INQUIRIES
section.
 
INQUIRIES
 
This is not the complete RFA.  Written and telephone requests for the
RFA and the opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from
potential applicants are welcome.
 
Direct inquiries regarding programmatic issues to Ms. Diane Bronzert
at the address listed under LETTER OF INTENT.
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Ms. Marian Focke
Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Room 242
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7800, extension 46
FAX:  (301) 496-8601
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No 93.395, Cancer Treatment Research.  Awards are made
under authorization of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV Part A
(Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and
285) and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal
Regulations at 42 CFR 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not
subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive
Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R6 END ************************************************************
 
$$R7 BEGIN CA-92-08 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
QUANTITATION OF TUMOR RESPONSE TO TREATMENT:  A THREE-DIMENSIONAL
APPROACH
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 3, Part II of II, January 24, 1992
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  CA-92-08
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0785140, 0706030
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  April 21, 1992
Application Receipt Date:  May 21, 1992
 
PURPOSE
 
The Radiation Research Program (RRP), Division of Cancer Treatment
(DCT), of the National Cancer Institute (NCI), announces the
availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) that advances
current methods of imaging-based tumor volumetric analysis for
optimization of response assessment in oncology.  The objective of
this RFA is to support meritorious research in the development of a
three-dimensional (3D) approach to serial quantitation of tumor
volume.  The proposed research is expected to improve clinical
management in oncology and to facilitate the development and
evaluation of anti-neoplastic drugs and other treatment modalities in
cancer patients.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of Healthy People 2000, a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Quantitation of Tumor Response to Treatment:  A Three Dimensional
Approach, is related to the priority area of cancer.  Potential
applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:
Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents,
Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325 (telephone
202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by domestic and foreign, for-profit and
non-profit, public and private organizations, such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local
governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.
Applications from minority individuals and women are encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National Institutes of
Health (NIH) individual research grant (R01). Applicants will be
responsible for the planning, direction, and execution of the
proposed project.
 
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Generally, future unsolicited
competitive continuation applications will compete as research
project applications with all other investigator-initiated
applications and be reviewed by the Division of Research Grants
(DRG).  If the NCI determines that there is a sufficient continuing
program need, a request for competitive continuation applications
will be announced.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
Approximately $500,000 in total costs per year for three years will
be committed to fund applications that are submitted in response to
this RFA.  It is anticipated that three awards will be made.  This
funding level is dependent on the receipt of a sufficient number of
applications of high scientific merit.  The total project period for
applications submitted in response to the present RFA may not exceed
three years.  The earliest feasible start date for the initial awards
will be March 1, 1993.  Although this program is provided for in the
financial plans of the NCI, the award of grants pursuant to this RFA
is also contingent upon the availability of funds for this purpose.
 
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The specific goal of this initiative is the development and
optimization of a quantitative analysis of tumor response to
treatment based on 3D medical imaging.  The proposed research will
stimulate the achievement of optimal tumor volumetric analysis by
means of the development of advanced approaches to two critical basic
computer science topics, automated image segmentation and
multimodality image registration, and their validation and testing.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN
CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
For projects involving clinical research, NIH requires applicants to
give special attention to the inclusion of women and minorities in
study populations.  If women or minorities are not included in the
study populations for clinical studies, a specific justification for
this exclusion must be provided.  Applications without such
documentation will not be accepted for review.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit, by April 21, 1991, a
letter of intent that includes a descriptive title of the proposed
research, the name and address of the Principal Investigator, the
names of other key personnel, the participating institutions, and the
number and title of the RFA in response to which the application is
being submitted.
 
Although a letter of intent is not required, is not binding, and does
not enter into the review of subsequent applications, it is requested
in order to provide an indication of the number and scope of
applications to be reviewed.
 
The letter of intent is to be sent to:
 
Faina Shtern, M.D.
Chief, Diagnostic Imaging Research Branch
Radiation Research Program
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Suite 800
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9531
FAX:  (301) 480-5785
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
The research grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88, reprinted
9/89 or rev. 9/91) must be used in applying for these grants.  These
forms are available at most institutional business offices and from
the Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, National
Institutes of Health, Room 449, Westwood Building, 5333 Westbard
Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20892, and from the NCI program director named
below.
 
Applications must be received by May 21, 1992.  If an application is
received after that date, it will be returned.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed (initially) by the
Division of Research Grants (DRG) for completeness.  Incomplete
applications will be returned to the applicant without further
consideration.  Those applications judged to be both competitive and
responsive will be further evaluated according to the review criteria
stated below for scientific and technical merit by an appropriate
peer review group convened by the Division of Extramural Activities,
NCI.  The second level of review by the National Cancer Advisory
Board considers the special needs of the Institute and the priorities
of the National Cancer Program.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and scope
of this RFA and requests for the RFA are to be directed to Dr. Faina
Shtern at the above address.  The Program Director welcomes the
opportunity to clarify any issues or questions from potential
applicants.
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal matters to:
 
Marian F. Focke
Grants Administration Branch
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza South, Room 242
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7800, extension 46
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance Number 93.395, Cancer Treatment Research.  Awards are made
under the authorization of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV,
Part A (Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC
241 and 285) and administered under PHS grants policies and Federal
Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not
subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive
Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
 
$$R7 END ************************************************************
 
$$R8 BEGIN HS-92-02 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
EVALUATION OF THE USE OF GUIDELINES IN LARGE GROUP PRACTICES
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 3, Part II of II, January 24, 1992
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HS-92-02
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0730000, 0785035, 0715072, 0715115
 
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
 
Application Receipt Date:  March 24, 1992
 
THE REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS (RFA) ANNOUNCED IN THIS NOTICE CONTAINS
ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR THE PREPARATION OF AN APPLICATION.
POTENTIAL APPLICANTS MAY OBTAIN THE RFA FROM THE CONTACT NAMED IN
INQUIRIES, BELOW.
 
PURPOSE
 
The Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR) announces the
availability of an RFA for cooperative agreements to demonstrate
research methods for evaluation of alternative strategies for
implementation of clinical practice guidelines and the effects of
implementing practice guidelines on the delivery of primary care in
large group practices.  The specific clinical practice guidelines to
be evaluated are:  (1) those developed by the Joint National
Committee on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood
Pressure, and (2) the forthcoming guidelines for the detection and
management of depressed patients in primary care settings, developed
with the support of the AHCPR Forum on Quality and Effectiveness in
Health Care.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Evaluation of the Use of Guidelines in Large Group Practices, is
related to the priority areas of heart disease and stroke, mental
health and mental health disorders, and clinical preventive services.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of
Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325
(telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications may be submitted by non-profit entities, such as
universities, hospitals, and clinics, State and local governments,
and eligible agencies of the Federal government.  Applications from
minorities and women are encouraged.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
This RFA will use the cooperative agreement (U10) mechanism of
support.  Under the terms of the cooperative agreement, the awardee
defines the details of the project within the guidelines of the RFA,
retains primary responsibility for performance of the activity and
for analyzing and publishing results, and agrees to accept
assistance, close coordination, and participation of the designated
program administrator in all aspects of the scientific and technical
management of the project in accordance with this RFA and the terms
of the award.
 
The total project period for applications submitted in response to
the present RFA may not exceed three years. The anticipated award
date will be August 1, 1992.  This RFA is a one-time solicitation.
Future unsolicited competing continuation applications will compete
with all investigator-initiated applications and be reviewed
according to the customary AHCPR peer review procedures.
 
FUNDS AVAILABLE
 
AHCPR expects to award a total of $500,000 in FY 1992 for the support
of up to three awards.  This level of support is dependent on the
receipt of a sufficient number of applications of high scientific
merit and the availability of funds for this purpose.
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
Patient outcomes research has several goals related to increasing the
knowledge base to improve clinical decision-making.  One mechanism is
the development and dissemination of guidelines that will help
physicians provide appropriate, cost-effective care.  Assessing the
extent to which practice guidelines can influence practitioner and
patient behavior to facilitate the appropriate use of specific
interventions, while discouraging inappropriate use, is important for
translating the results of improved information to improving the
quality of care.
 
Although several guidelines have been developed by professional
organizations, insurers, utilization review panels and others, the
most effective approaches for implementing guidelines to effect
sustained change in behavior and improve the quality of care have not
yet been determined.  The development of practical strategies for
implementing and evaluating clinical practice guidelines is
prerequisite to ascertaining the effects of practice guidelines on
the cost, quality and appropriateness of clinical services.
 
Traditionally, assessment of physician compliance with practice
guidelines in health care has been based on the belief that quality
is best achieved by discovering "bad" practices and taking corrective
action.  An alternative approach to improving the quality of medical
services is based on the principles of continuous quality improvement
(CQI).  This model engages the support and participation of all
members of the health care team in an effort to achieve continuous
improvement in quality, defined to include the needs and preferences
of the patient.  CQI offers the potential of identifying multiple
variables relevant to practitioner knowledge and behavior and the
process of delivering care in practice settings.  Preliminary reports
of the use of CQI in developing and implementing clinical algorithms
for a variety of clinical problems in a large group HMO setting
indicate its promise as one method for implementing practice
guidelines.  Additional research is needed to compare a CQI approach
with other methods and to test how effective this methodology is in
other practice settings.
 
The overall goal of the desired research is to evaluate strategies
for implementation of clinical practice guidelines and improve
understanding of the process and effects of such implementation and
incorporation of guidelines into practice.  The proposed research is
to be conducted in large group practices providing primary care.
Studies must include an experimental or quasi-experimental design for
evaluating at least two approaches for implementing the guidelines in
group practice settings.  One method must incorporate the principles
of CQI; additional strategies based on relevant theories of
practitioner and organizational behavior can be selected by the
Principal Investigators.
 
Two sets of guidelines will be used.  Hypertension guidelines are
available currently from the JNC and will be updated in October 1992.
Guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of depressed outpatients in
primary care settings are being developed with the support of AHCPR
and will not be available before April 1, 1992. Therefore, applicants
should design their study consistent with their knowledge of existing
clinical recommendations for depression and the relevant literature.
 
The following illustrate possible research areas and questions
related to the implementation of practice guidelines:
 
What are the effects of practice guidelines on practitioners'
knowledge and behavior?  How do providers evaluate new information
and translate this information to their practices?  Which mechanisms,
e.g., incentives, penalties, administrative rules, are most effective
in improving practitioner compliance with guidelines?  How will
practitioners revise or tailor established or newly developed
guidelines to their individual patients?
 
What are the effects of guidelines on practice?  What is the relative
cost-effectiveness of various strategies to implement guidelines, in
terms of additional personnel or administrative mechanisms required
to improve compliance with guidelines?  How do practitioners and
organizations incorporate multiple sets of guidelines for the same or
similar clinical problems?  How do practitioners and patients
incorporate practice guidelines in the context of unrelated concerns,
e.g., reason for visit unrelated to the content of the specific
guidelines?  How do practitioners and patients prioritize among
existing guidelines for multiple problems, i.e., is there a rationale
for compliance with some guidelines and not others?  What are the
barriers to implementation of guidelines, and how can they be
addressed?  What are the barriers that prevent high-risk patients
from receiving the recommended services?  How can these barriers be
modified or eliminated?
 
What is the effect on patient behavior, and ultimately on patient
outcomes?  What strategies can practitioners use to modify patients'
health behaviors?  What factors influence patients' acceptance of
practice guidelines?  In what ways do the guidelines conflict with
patient expectations for service utilization?
 
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
 
The administrative and funding mechanism to be used to support these
awards will be cooperative agreements (U10) between each awardee and
the AHCPR.  In a cooperative agreement there is substantial Federal
programmatic involvement above and beyond the levels characteristic
for traditional program management of grants.  Prospective applicants
are encouraged to obtain a copy of the RFA for additional information
(see INQUIRIES section below).
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND
MINORITIES IN CLINICAL RESEARCH STUDIES
 
The AHCPR observes NIH and ADAMHA policy requiring applicants to give
special attention to the inclusion of minorities and women in study
populations.  If women or minorities are excluded or inadequately
represented in research, a clear and compelling rationale should be
provided.  Applications without such documentation will not be
accepted for review.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applications must be submitted on the PHS 398 (revised 10/88)
application form that is available at most institutional business
offices and from the Office of Scientific Review, AHCPR, 2101 East
Jefferson Street, Rockville, MD 20852, telephone: 301-227-8449.
State and local governments must use form PHS 5161.
 
The RFA contains further details regarding application procedures.
Applications must be received by March 24, 1992.
 
REVIEW CONSIDERATIONS
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed by AHCPR staff for
completeness and responsiveness.  Those applications that are
complete and responsive will be evaluated in accordance with the
criteria stated below for scientific/technical merit by a peer review
group convened by the AHCPR.  A second level of review will be
provided by the National Advisory Council for Health Care Policy,
Research and Evaluation.
 
In addition to the criteria generally used by AHCPR peer review
groups to assess applications, the following review criteria will by
used in evaluating applications received in response to this RFA:
 
o  adequacy of the plan for obtaining detailed medical record data
evaluate relevant medical and nonmedical factors related to
implementation of practice guidelines and patient outcomes following
implementation;
 
o  qualifications and experience of the Principal Investigator and
proposed staff, particularly as they relate to conducting research in
quality improvement and quality assurance;
 
o  adequacy of the facilities and resources available to the grantee,
particularly in making available practice sites that are already
using a continuing quality improvement approach to quality
improvement and have the ability to randomize patients and/or
practitioners.
 
INQUIRIES
 
Written and telephone requests for the RFA and the opportunity to
clarify any issues or questions from potential applicants are
welcome.
 
Direct requests for the RFA and inquiries regarding programmatic
issues to:
 
Paul A. Nutting, M.D., MSPH
Center for General Health Services Extramural Research
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Executive Office Center, Suite 502
2101 E. Jefferson St.
Rockville, MD  20852-4908
Telephone:  (301)-227-8357
 
Direct inquiries regarding fiscal and administrative matters to:
 
Ralph Sloat
Chief, Grants Management Branch
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Executive Office Center, Suite 601
2101 E. Jefferson St.
Rockville, MD  20852-4908
Telephone:  (301)-227-8447
 
AUTHORITY AND REGULATIONS
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 93.226.  Awards are made under authority of Title IX
of the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42 USC 299), and
administered under PHS grants policies and in accordance with program
regulations (Title 42 CFR, Part 67, Subpart A).  The requirements of
Executive Order 12372, "Intergovernmental Review of Federal
Programs," are not applicable to AHCPR research grant programs.
 
$$R8 END ************************************************************
 
$$R9 BEGIN CA-92-04 FULL-TEXT ***************************************
 
CANCER PREVENTION AND CONTROL RESEARCH SMALL GRANT PROGRAM
 
NIH GUIDE, Volume 21, Number 3, Part II of II, January 24, 1992
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  CA-92-04
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0795003, 0745027, 0745035, 0710095, 0404000
 
National Cancer Institute
 
Application Receipt Date:  May 6, 1992
 
THE REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS (RFA) ANNOUNCED IN THIS NOTICE CONTAINS
ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR THE PREPARATION OF AN APPLICATION.
POTENTIAL APPLICANTS MAY OBTAIN THE RFA FROM THE CONTACT NAMED IN
INQUIRIES, BELOW.
 
PURPOSE
 
The Division of Cancer Prevention and Control (DCPC) of the National
Cancer Institute (NCI) announces the availability of an RFA Cancer
Prevention and Control Research Small Grant Program.  This program is
designed to aid and facilitate the growth of a nationwide cohort of
scientists with a high level of research expertise in the field of
human cancer control intervention research.  New and experienced
investigators in relevant fields and disciplines (e.g., disease
prevention and control, medicine, public health, health promotion,
epidemiology, social work, nursing research, nutrition, health
policy, health services research, and behavioral sciences, such as
social psychology, health education, sociology, and community
organization) may apply for small grants to test ideas or do pilot
studies.
 
HEALTHY PEOPLE 2000
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000,"
a PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This RFA,
Cancer Prevention and Control Research Small Grant Program, is
related to the priority area of cancer. Potential applicants may
obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report: Stock No.
017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Investigators are eligible to apply for a small grant to support
research on a cancer control topic if they are interested in
conducting exploratory studies in cancer control research.  Eligible
applicants include established researchers, new investigators,