Subject: NSF General Publication
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 91 10:49 EST

Good Morning Paul,
   This is one of several that will be sent today from NSF.  Please
post this one to the NIH Listserver as:
     NSFAST.911122
 Thanks.    Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF91134 - Funding Opportunities for Astronomers
Type        : General Publication
NSF Contact : AST
Date        : November 18, 1991

                                                      November 1991
 
           +-----------------------------------------+
           |                                         |
           |  FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES FOR ASTRONOMERS  |
           |                                         |
           |       NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION       |
           |                                         |
           +-----------------------------------------+

 

 

 
                                     INDEX

TOPIC                                                                  PAGE
 
Opportunities in the Division of Astronomical Sciences (AST) 3
         General Research Awards.............................3
         Listing of AST Staff................................4
         Research/Instructional Equipment....................5
         Small Grants for Exploratory Research (SGER)........5
 
Opportunities for Astronomical Sciences Research in Other NSF
  Research Divisions.........................................5
 
Opportunities for Astronomical Scientists in the Division of
  Human Resource Development.................................6
         Research in Undergraduate Institutions (RUI)........6
         Research Opportunity Awards (ROA)...................7
         Visiting Professorships for Women (VPW).............7
         Research Opportunities for Women (ROW)..............7
         Minority Research Initiation (MRI)..................8
         Research Careers for Minority Scholars (RCMS).......8
         Alliances of Minority Participation (AMP)...........9
         Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers
           with Disabilities.................................9
 
Astronomical Sciences Opportunities in the Division of
  International Programs.....................................9
 
Special Opportunities for Graduate Students, Postdoctoral
  Fellows, and New Faculty in Research Career Development...10
         Graduate Fellowships...............................10
         Minority Graduate Fellowships......................10
         Graduate Traineeships..............................11
         NATO Postdoctoral Fellowships......................11
         Travel Grants to NATO Institutes...................11
         Presidential Faculty Fellows Program (PFF).........11
         NSF Young Investigator Awards (NYI)................12
 
Supercomputing Opportunities................................12
 
Opportunities for Astronomers in Undergraduate Activities...13
         Curriculum Development Program.....................13
         Instrumentation and Laboratory Improvement (ILI)...13
         Undergraduate Faculty Enhancement Program (UFE)....13
         Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)......14
 
Astronomical Sciences Opportunities in Pre-college Activities.14
         Young Scholars.....................................15
         Informal Science Education.........................15
Division of Astronomical Sciences Organizational Chart......16

               OPPORTUNITIES IN THE DIVISION OF ASTRONOMICAL SCIENCES

The principal focus of astronomical sciences research support within
the National Science Foundation (NSF) is in the Division of
Astronomical Sciences (AST).  AST's object is to increase our knowledge
of the Universe.  Research is aimed at determining the composition,
structure, and evolution of planets, stars, and galaxies, including
our Sun, the Milky Way, and other related phenomena.  The support for
significant research in the astronomical sciences serves to ensure the
continuing vitality and long-range scientific health of the discipline.

AST supports research activities through awards to single investigators
or teams of investigators following the merit review of research
proposals submitted by these investigators.  Awards are recommended and
monitored by Program Directors of the disciplinary programs within AST.
Taken together, AST disciplinary programs broadly cover research in
ground-based astronomy, including theory and laboratory astrophysics.
In addition to providing research grants, NSF supports the development
and operation of three National Astronomy Centers, where radio,
optical, infrared, and special telescopes are made available to the
scientific community on a competitive basis.  This section contains
brief descriptions of these activities.
 
                               General Research Awards
 
General research proposals submitted to the research programs in AST
are regarded as "unsolicited."  An "unsolicited" proposal is prepared
by a principal investigator and submitted by an institution on its own
initiative.  Contact with AST program personnel before proposal
preparation is encouraged to help determine if preparation of a formal
submission is appropriate.
 
The NSF publication Grants for Research and Education in Science and
Engineering (GRESE) (NSF 90-77, August 1990) contains guidelines and
procedures for unsolicited research proposals.  These important
guidelines describe the types of proposals accepted, who may submit,
when to submit, where to submit, and what to submit.  These guidelines
include information on proposal processing and evaluation, grant
administration, and other items of interest.  Two other publications
which may be especially useful to researchers in astronomical sciences
are the Guide to Programs (NSF 91-80) and a brochure entitled
Publications of the National Science Foundation (NSF 91-61) which
contains ordering information and lists all NSF publications.  Most NSF
publications are free of charge and may be obtained by writing to the
National Science Foundation, Attn:  Forms and Publications, 1800 G
Street N.W., Room 232, Washington, DC  20550.  Users of electronic mail
may prefer to order publications electronically.  Requests should be
addressed to [email-masked] (internet) or pubs@nsf (bitnet) and include
the NSF publication number and title, number of copies, your name, and
a complete mailing address.
 
It is VERY IMPORTANT that principal investigators recognize that
proposal processing and review normally requires at least 6 months.
A proposal with a requested start date of November (possibly
optimistic) or later should arrive at NSF in March or April.  In fact,
the best "timing" for proposals is to submit them in the spring with
a start date in the late fall or early winter.  Every effort is made
to reach a decision and inform applicants within 6 months; however,
recommendations on proposals with requested start dates which do not
allow for appropriate merit review and processing may be delayed beyond
the requested start date or occasionally postponed until the next
fiscal year.  The Stellar Astronomy and Astrophysics Program will have
a deadline of May 15, 1992 for FY 1993 funding.
 
Investigators are urged to call a Program Officer in advance of
submitting a proposal.  Division personnel would be happy to answer
questions about budgets, formats, guidelines, or other matters relating
to proposals and awards.  New proposers often find it helpful to have
colleagues read and make comments on proposals before submission.
 
There are five disciplinary programs, two special programs, and three
National Astronomy Center programs in AST.  A brief description of the
scientific focus of these programs is given below.  These programs
recommend awards for the support of research projects of high quality.
A project budget may include salary support for principal investigators
and postdoctoral associates, salary and tuition support for graduate
research assistants, support for scientific equipment and computer
access, travel support, research conference support, and other items
necessary for the completion of the proposed research project.
Investigators considering the submission of projects to research
programs within AST should contact the appropriate program director
before submission for information on program support.  Besides the
listed telephone numbers, the AST scientific staff may be reached via
electronic mail by:
 
   first initial last [email-masked] [internet]  Example:  [email-masked]
   first initial last name@nsf [bitnet]              Example:  jsmith@nsf
 
or by postal mail at:        National Science Foundation
                          Division of Astronomical Sciences
                            1800 G Street, N.W., Room 615
                                Washington, DC  20550
 
The current programs and personnel in AST are:
 
Division Director                Julie H. Lutz                 202/357-9488
Deputy Division Director         Morris L. Aizenman            202/357-7643
Administrative Officer           Barbara S. Harrison           202/357-9490
 
Planetary Astronomy Program and Galactic Astronomy Program
Program Director                 Vernon L. Pankonin            202/357-7620
 
Stellar Astronomy and Astrophysics Program
Program Director                 Myron A. Smith                202/357-7622
 
Extragalactic Astronomy and Cosmology Program
Program Director                 Kenneth C. Turner             202/357-7639
 
Advanced Technologies and Instrumentation Program
Program Director                 G. Wayne van Citters          202/357-9793
 
Education, Human Resources, and Special Programs
Program Director                 Penny D. Sackett              202/357-7304
 
National Optical Astronomy Observatories
Program Manager                  Seth L. Tuttle                202/357-9484
 
National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center
Program Manager                  Vacant (Seth Tuttle Acting)   202/357-9740
 
National Radio Astronomy Observatory
Program Manager                  Ludwig F. Oster               202/357-9857
 
Electromagnetic Spectrum Management Program
Program Manager                  Tomas E. Gergely              202/357-9696

                          Research/Instructional Equipment
 
NSF currently provides grants for the purchase of undergraduate
research and instructional equipment through two programs
Instrumentation and Laboratory Improvement (ILI) (NSF 91-84) and
Research in Undergraduate Institutions (RUI) (NSF 89-60).  For
information on the ILI program, contact the Division of Undergraduate
Science Engineering and Mathematics Education or the Education, Human
Resources, and Special Programs Director in AST.  AST manages the
astronomical sciences portion of the RUI program.  These programs are
discussed more fully later in the sections of this brochure describing
opportunities for astronomical scientists in undergraduate activities
and in research initiation and improvement.
 
A new program, Academic Research Infrastructure (ARI), will begin in
FY 1992.  This program will support the acquisition and development of
major research instrumentation across all scientific disciplines
supported by the Foundation.  Awards for instrumentation will range
from $100,000 to $2,000,000 with at least 50% cost-sharing required.
This program will also fund the repair, renovation, or in exceptional
cases, replacement of obsolete science and engineering research
facilities at eligible academic institutions.
 
                                  Other Activities
 
The Program Director for Education, Human Resources, and Special
Programs manages or participates in several Foundation-wide activities
on behalf of AST, often in close collaboration with the Directorate for
Education and Human Resources (EHR).  Programs handled currently
include the Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) sites,
Curriculum Development, Undergraduate Faculty Enhancement, Faculty
Awards for Women Scientists and Engineers (FAW), Science and Technology
Centers (STC), the Presidential Faculty Fellows (PFF) Program, and NSF
Young Investigator Awards (NYI).
 
                    Small Grants for Exploratory Research (SGER)
 
NSF invites proposals for small-scale, exploratory, high-risk research
in all fields of science, engineering, and education normally supported
by NSF.  These are not sent out for merit review, but are funded at the
discretion of the Program Officer.
 
Award amounts will vary by program and are expected to be
substantially less than a given program's average award amount. In any
event, no SGER awards will exceed $50,000.  SGER awards are
nonrenewable and are normally made for 1 year but in no case to exceed
2 years.  Continued support may be requested only through submittal of
a complete non-SGER proposal that will be fully reviewed.  More than
one investigator may be supported on one SGER award.  Investigators
without prior NSF support are encouraged to apply.  Announcement NSF
89-85.
 
                                     **********
 
                  OPPORTUNITIES FOR ASTRONOMICAL SCIENCES RESEARCH
                           IN OTHER NSF RESEARCH DIVISIONS
 
Several research directorates and divisions at NSF fully or partially
support research projects in the astronomical sciences.  For example,
certain applied astronomical activities may be supported within
divisions in the Directorate for Geosciences (GEO) and within divisions
in the Directorate for Mathematical and Physical Sciences (MPS).
History of science may be supported under the proposed new Directorate
for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences (SBE); solar-terrestrial
projects may be supported under GEO (in particular, the Division of
Atmospheric Sciences (ATM), 202/357-7618);

computer science projects may be supported in the Directorate of
Computer and Information Science and Engineering(CISE); and some
engineering related projects may find support in the Directorate of
Engineering (ENG).
 
Research projects may vary widely in focus and content; thus, all
possible opportunities cannot be listed completely in this brochure.
An investigator interested in the opportunities under divisions and
directorates other than AST should consult the National Science
Foundation's Guide to NSF Programs, FY 1992 (NSF 91-80) to determine
a possible match of a research project to a program.  Obtaining a copy
of the NSF Organization Directory (which lists directorates and
programs) may be useful in identifying an appropriate research program.
Also, telephone conversations with program directors in AST will help
to determine where a proposed project would find the best match with
a current NSF program.
 
                                     **********
 
                  OPPORTUNITIES FOR ASTRONOMICAL SCIENTISTS IN THE
                       DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
 
The Division of Human Resource Development (HRD) in EHR supports
research and related activities that strengthen the Nation's human and
institutional resource base for mathematics, science, and engineering.
The objectives include, among other items, increasing research
opportunities for women, minorities, persons with disabilities and
faculty from predominantly undergraduate institutions.
 
While some of these NSF-wide activities are coordinated by HRD, the
actual proposals for projects in the astronomical sciences are
generally reviewed and funded by the disciplinary program in AST.
Further, if an award is recommended, this recommendation is often made
by the appropriate AST program director.  Consequently, applicants are
urged to discuss the project with the appropriate AST program director
in their research area before submitting a formal proposal to NSF.
 
1.  Research in Undergraduate Institutions (RUI)
 
    RUI provides support for astronomical sciences research and research
    equipment for faculty in nondoctoral departments in predominantly
    undergraduate institutions.  "Predominantly undergraduate
    institutions" are 2- and 4-year institutions, master's level
    institutions, and doctoral-granting institutions, provided the
    number of doctorates awarded by the institution in the fields
    supported by NSF did not exceed a total of 20 in the 2 calendar
    years preceding the proposal submission date.  In addition to the
    usual requirements for a research proposal, RUI proposals must
    describe the expected impact of the proposed research on the
    research and training environment of the department.  Special
    emphasis is placed on the project's potential for better integrating
    the research and teaching functions and for enhancing the
    department's ability to prepare students for entry into graduate
    education and careers in science and engineering.
    RUI proposals for astronomical research should be submitted to the
    disciplinary program director in AST.  Prospective applicants should
    request the brochure Research in Undergraduate Institutions (NSF
    89-60) from the RUI Coordinator.  General inquiries should be
    addressed to the RUI Coordinator 202/357-7456.
 
    The RUI Program provides support for purchasing or upgrading
    instrumentation and computer equipment needed for conducting
    research.  For information on RUI equipment proposals, contact a
    disciplinary program director in AST.
 
2.Research Opportunity Awards (ROA)
 
    NSF provides opportunities for faculty at institutions with limited
    research opportunities to participate in astronomical sciences
    research projects under the aegis of supported NSF investigators at
    research institutions.
 
    Faculty members make their own arrangements with investigators at
    the research universities or laboratories that have been awarded or
    are currently applying for an NSF research project grant.  In the
    case of ongoing grants in the astronomical sciences, grantees should
    contact the appropriate program director in AST and ask for the
    necessary changes in the project budget allocations or, if required,
    supplemental funds to permit participation by a visiting ROA
    researcher.  Each case is judged on its own scientific merits and
    is recommended at the discretion of the AST program director.
    General inquiries should be made to the RUI Coordinator at 202/357-
    7456.
 
3.  Visiting Professorships for Women (VPW)
 
    This program provides support to experienced women astronomers who
    will serve as visiting faculty members at host institutions.  In
    addition to research and teaching, the visiting professor undertakes
    counseling and other interactive activities to increase the
    visibility of women astronomers in the academic environment of the
    institution and to provide encouragement for other women to pursue
    careers in science and engineering.  The VPW program has a proposal
    deadline of November 15 of each year.  An annual program
    announcement provides more information on preparing proposals (NSF
    91-87).  For a copy, contact the Program Director, Visiting
    Professorships for Women, National Science Foundation, 202/357-7734.
 
4.  Research Opportunities for Women
 
    NSF provides activities directed at increasing the number of women
    as full participants in independent research under the following
    activities:
 
    A.  Research Planning Grants (RPG):  These grants are designed to
        enable women who have not had prior independent Federal research
        support to develop a competitive research project.  Tenure or
        tenure-track status is NOT an eligibility factor.  Under this
        activity, an investigator applies for limited support for
        preliminary studies and other research activities related to an
        anticipated proposed research project.  Planning grants are one-
        time awards limited to a maximum of $18,000 for a period of up
        to 12 months.  The NSF-wide target date (not deadline) for
        planning grant proposals is January 15 of each year; proposals
        are to be submitted to the appropriate research program in AST.
        (NSF 90-121)
 
    B.  Career Advancement Awards (CAA):  The goal of the program is to
        support activities that advance the applicant's current research
        career.  These awards are not a substitute for regular research
        grants.  The projects should, for example, develop innovative
        research methods or be designed to provide experience in an area
        that will expand the applicant's current research program.  It
        is expected (but not required) that the applicant is funded
        currently or has had prior research support.  CAA grants are one-
        time awards limited to a maximum of $50,000 for a period of up
        to 12 months.  Additionally, up to $10,000 for equipment may be
        awarded.  Up to 10 percent of these funds may be used to defray
        administrative expenses in lieu of indirect costs.  The NSF-wide
        target date (note deadline) for CAA proposals is January 15 of
        each year; the project should be submitted to the appropriate AST
        disciplinary program.  (NSF 90-121)
 
    C.  NSF Faculty Awards for Women Scientists and Engineers (FAW):
        This was a new effort in FY 1991 to recognize outstanding women
        faculty members.  Nominations are made by the institution for
        tenured faculty women who are not yet full professors.  Awards
        are for up to $50,000 per year for 5 years.  Contact the
        Education, Human Resources, and Special Programs director, the
        appropriate disciplinary program director or the program
        coordinator, EHR, Room 1225, 202/357-7461.  A competition for new
        FAW awards for FY 1993 is expected in the spring of 1992.
 
5.  Minority Research Initiation (MRI)
 
    The MRI program is an integral part of NSF's overall effort to give
    greater access to scientific research to groups that are
    underrepresented in the science and engineering career pool.  The
    MRI programmatic activities that provide research support directly
    to scholars in the sciences are:
 
    A.  Minority Research Initiation Awards: These are one-time grants
        intended to provide opportunities for minorities to become
        actively engaged in research as independent investigators.
        Projects are normally supported for 3 years.  They are not
        renewable, but they may be extended for up to 2 additional years
        of support.  Applicants must hold full-time faculty or research-
        related positions at colleges or universities and cannot have
        previously received Federal research support.  Proposals for MRI
        awards may be submitted at any time.  Contact the Education,
        Human Resources, and Special Programs Director in AST at 202/357-
        7304.  (NSF 90-143)
 
    B.  Minority Research Initiation Planning Grants:  Individuals who
        are eligible for Minority Research Initiation support may apply
        for preliminary MRI Planning Grants.  These grants are intended
        to strengthen the proposal planning and development capabilities
        of investigators who have not previously received Federal
        research support.  Awards are typically for $12,000 with a
        maximum of $18,000 and are not renewable.  The MRI Planning
        Grants have target (not deadline) dates of November 1 and
        February 1 of each year.  Contact the discipline program director
        or MRI program director at 202/357-7350.  (NSF 90-143)
 
    C.  Career Advancement Awards (CAA):  The eligibility for Career
        Advancement Awards is the same as for the MRI awards listed
        above.  The award is to advance careers and is limited to $50,000
        for usually 12 months.  Additionally, up to $10,000 for equipment
        may be requested.  The deadline date is February 15 of each year.
        Contact the discipline program director or MRI program director
        at 202/357-7350.  (NSF 90-143)
 
6.  Research Careers for Minority Scholars (RCMS)
 
The RCMS program is designed to retain a significant number of minority
students in the science and engineering realms.  The program provides
support to help universities and colleges implement comprehensive
enrichment programs.  It also provides stipends to qualified minority
science or engineering students so they can pursue career paths in
these fields.  In addition, support may be provided for student
tuition, research experiences, counseling, and other academic
enrichment activities.  Proposals may be submitted by institutions on
behalf of five eligible students, and are particularly encouraged from
institutions with significant minority enrollments and a tradition of
training minority students.  Grants may be awarded for periods of up
to 5 years.  The target date for the current fiscal year is January 13,
1992.  (NSF 90-136)

Other NSF programs concerned with minority participation in science
include institutional activities (such as Minority Research Centers of
Excellence (NSF 91-25) or Research Improvement in Minority Institutions
(NSF 89-7)) and opportunities for students through Research
Assistantships for Minority High School Students (NSF 89-39).
Information on any of the above programs may be obtained by contacting
the Division of Human Resource Development at the National Science
Foundation at 202/357-7350.  (See also the EHR program announcement,
Career Access Opportunities in Science and Technology for Women,
Minorities and the Disabled (NSF 90-126)).
 
7.  Alliances of Minority Participation (AMP)
 
    The AMP initiative supports the establishment of comprehensive,
    systematic approaches to increasing the number of high-ability
    minority students selecting and successfully completing
    undergraduate studies in natural science and engineering (excluding
    social, economic, and behavioral sciences) through cooperative
    efforts between colleges and universities, industry, state and local
    governments, school systems, private foundations, professional
    organizations, and other groups, as appropriate.  Contact the AMP
    Director, Room 1225, 202/357-7350.  (NSF 90-44)
 
8.  Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers with Disabilities
 
    The purposes of this program are (1) to reduce or remove barriers
    to participation in research and training in the astronomical
    sciences encountered by physically-disabled individuals through
    special equipment and assistance under NSF awards, and (2) to
    encourage physically-disabled individuals to pursue careers in
    science or engineering by stimulating the development and
    demonstration of special equipment that facilitates work
    performance.  Requests for support may be included in regular
    research proposals submitted to any NSF program or in requests for
    supplements to existing awards.  A brochure (NSF 91-54) describing
    this program is available from the Program Coordinator, Facilitation
    Awards for Scientists and Engineers with Disabilities, the National
    Science Foundation, 202/357-7461.
 
                                      *********
 
                     ASTRONOMICAL SCIENCES OPPORTUNITIES IN THE
                         DIVISION OF INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
 
The Division of International Programs (INT) at the NSF provides
opportunities for U.S. astronomers to cooperate with scientists of
other countries in joint research, education, engineering, and related
activities.  The programs under INT management are developed through
bilateral agreements between the U.S. and the participating country.
Consequently, the program activities are implemented under a country-
by-country format.  In general, there are four types of activities for
which an astronomical scientist may be supported:  (1) cooperative
research projects designed and conducted jointly between astronomical
scientists in the U.S. and the foreign country; (2) long- and medium-
term research visits for younger investigators at foreign centers of
excellence; (3) research-oriented seminars, conferences, or workshops;
and (4) short-term scientific visits for planning cooperative research
activities.  The last category is not supported in some programs,
particularly for activities with industrial countries.  Astronomers
seeking detailed information, application requirements, and brochures
describing opportunities for the above cooperative activities should
contact the program directors of the appropriate country or regional
program or contact the Division of International Programs at NSF.
Please be aware that program support modes, deadlines, or target dates
may change.

NSF has a Memorandum of Understanding initiating a U.S./U.S.S.R.
Cooperative Science Program.  This program supports cooperative
research, joint seminars/workshops, and individual scientific visits.
Only proposals in selected research areas in the astronomical sciences
are eligible.  Seminars/workshops and individual visits are considered
solely for the purpose of developing concrete proposals for long-term
cooperative research.  Proposals for developmental activities (indivi-
dual visits and workshops) may be submitted at any time.  The proposals
for joint research projects in the astronomical sciences will be
evaluated through AST's merit-review process.  Investigators should
consult the appropriate AST disciplinary program before submission of
a project.  (NSF 89-100)
 
NSF's Japan Program encourages U.S. scientists and engineers to submit
proposals to compete for support for long-term (6-24 months) and short-
term (up to 6 months) research visits in Japan, U.S.-Japan bilateral
seminars, state-of-the-art reviews of Japanese research, Japanese
language study, curriculum development for teaching the Japanese
language to scientists and engineers, and participation in summer
institutes in Japan for graduate students.  Support from the Japan
program is supplemental in nature; individuals seeking salary and
research support from NSF, in addition to Japan-related expenses,
should submit a regular proposal to the appropriate disciplinary
research program and also send a copy to the Japan Program.  The
appropriate disciplinary program director and the Japan Program
Announcement (NSF 90-144) should be consulted before proposal
submission.
 
                                      *********
 
              SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS, POSTDOCTORAL
               FELLOWS, AND NEW FACULTY IN RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENT
 
1.  Graduate Fellowships
 
    The Graduate Fellowship Program offers 3 years of support for
    graduate study to approximately 950 outstanding graduate students
    in the mathematical sciences and in science and engineering.  The
    deadline for application is in mid-November, and a detailed program
    description and guidelines for application are in the brochure
    Graduate Fellowships Announcement (NSF 91-72).  For this brochure
    and other information, contact the Fellowship Office, National
    Research Council, 2101 Constitution Avenue, Washington, DC  20418,
    202/334-2872.
 
    To be eligible for this competition, candidates must be citizens or
    nationals of the U.S. and at or near the beginning of their graduate
    career.  In FY 1992, the stipend for each graduate fellow will be
    $14,000 for a 12-month period.  An annual cost-of-education
    allowance of $7,500 is made available to the awardee's institution
    for each year of tenure, in lieu of tuition and fees.
 
2.  Minority Graduate Fellowships
 
    This program is identical to the Graduate Fellowship Program except
    that only members of ethnic minority groups who are underrepresented
    in the Nation's science pool are eligible.  The program will offer
    approximately 150 Minority Graduate Fellowships, including
    approximately 10 awards under the Women in Engineering component.

    Competition in this program is open to underrepresented minority
    citizens or nationals of the U.S. who are American Indian, Black,
    Eskimo or Aleutian, Pacific Islander, or Hispanic, and who are in
    the early stages of their graduate study.  The deadline for
    application is mid-November, and a detailed brochure entitled
    Minority Graduate Fellowships Announcement (NSF 91-73) is available
    by contacting the Fellowship Office, National Research Council, 2101
    Constitution Avenue, Washington, DC  20418, 202/334-2872.
 
3.  Graduate Traineeships
 
    A new Graduate Traineeship program will begin in FY 1992; guidelines
    for the program are expected to be available in the Federal Register
    in early December.  For more information, contact the Division of
    Research Career Development at 202/357-7536.
 
4.  NATO Postdoctoral Fellowships
 
    An opportunity for postdoctoral research support in the astronomical
    sciences lies in the NATO Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
    Approximately 50 awards will be made each year to outstanding
    individuals in science and engineering.  The purpose is to promote
    a closer collaboration between scientists and engineers of the
    member NATO nations.  The application deadline is November 2, 1992.
    Eligibility involves both U.S. citizenship and receipt of a
    doctorate within the last 5 years.  This program provides for a 12-
    month fellowship with a monthly stipend of $2,600, plus dependency
    and travel allowances, for tenures of 6-12 months.
 
    A detailed program description and guidelines for applications are
    in the brochure NSF-NATO Postdoctoral Fellowships in Science and
    Engineering (NSF 91-88).  Contact the Division of Research Career
    Development at 202/357-7536.
 
5.  Travel Grants to NATO Institutes
 
    Each year there are several NATO Advanced Study Institutes in the
    astronomical sciences.  NSF awards travel grants, normally covering
    the round-trip air fare involved, to enable young U.S. scientists
    to attend these study institutes.  The meetings are usually held
    during the summer and last 2 to 3 weeks.  The director of a NATO
    Advanced Study Institute may nominate U.S. citizens for support who
    are graduate science students or have received a Ph.D. within the
    past 3 years and have been accepted at the NATO institute.  Lists
    of institutes appear in the final January editions of Nature, New
    Scientist, Science, and La Recherche.
 
In September of 1991, the National Science Foundation inaugurated two
new programs:  the Presidential Faculty Fellows (PFF) program and the
NSF Young Investigator Awards (NYI) program.  Together, these two
activities replace the Presidential Young Investigator (PYI) program
that operated from 1984 to 1991.  The two new programs operate
independently and separate nominations are required.
 
6.  Presidential Faculty Fellows Program (PFF)
 
    At the request of the President of the United States, the newly
    initiated PFF program will recognize and support the scholarly
    activities of some of the Nation's most outstanding young science
    and engineering faculty members.  Awards will carry a grant from NSF
    of $100,000 per year for five years and are intended to allow
    Fellows to undertake self-designed, innovative research and teaching
    projects, to establish research and teaching programs, and to pursue
    other activities appropriate for outstanding young faculty.  Thirty
    PFF awards are planned for FY 1992, of which fifteen will be in
    engineering and fifteen in science.
 
    Institutions in the U.S. that offer baccalaureate, master's or
    doctoral degrees in a field supported by NSF may nominate two
    candidates per year.  Nominees for the current competition must:
    be U.S. citizens or permanent residents as of December 2, 1991; hold
    a Ph.D. degree, or equivalent, awarded between January 1, 1984 and
    December 2, 1991; and have begun their first tenure-track or
    equivalent position at any four-year or graduate-level college or
    university after December 1, 1988.
 
    The deadline for nominations is December 2, 1991.  The complete
    Presidential Faculty Fellows Program Announcement (NSF 91-103)
    should be consulted before nominations are submitted.  Awards will
    be announced in the spring of 1992.  Further information on the PFF
    program may be obtained by telephoning NSF at 202/357-7536.
 
7.  National Science Foundation Young Investigator Program (NYI)
 
    The recently-announced NYI program has as its goals:  the
    recognition of outstanding young faculty in science and engineering;
    the enhancement of the academic careers of recent Ph.D. recipients
    through the flexible support of research and teaching; and fostering
    contact and cooperation between academia and industry.  Each NYI
    award will consist of an annual base grant of $25,000 from NSF plus
    up to $37,500 of additional funds per year on a dollar-for-dollar
    matching basis from industrial and not-for-profit sources, resulting
    in a possible total annual award of up to $100,000.
 
    Institutions in the U.S. that award a baccalaureate, master's or
    doctoral degree in a field supported by the Foundation may nominate
    faculty or prospective faculty for the NYI program.  Nominees for
    the current competition:  must be U.S. citizens or permanent
    residents as of January 31, 1992; must have a Ph.D. degree or
    equivalent, awarded or to be awarded on or after January 1, 1986,
    but no later than October 1, 1992; must not have entered on a
    tenure-track position at any college or university prior to January
    1, 1988,; and must have a tenure-track or tenured faculty position
    or equivalent at their nominating institution or receive an
    appointment to such a position to begin on or before October 1,
    1992.
 
    The deadline for nominations is January 31, 1992.  The complete NSF
    Young Investigator Awards Program Announcement (NSF 91-112) should
    be consulted before nominations are submitted.  The FY 1992 NYI
    awardees will be announced approximately June 1992.  For further
    information on the NYI program, contact NSF at (202) 357-7536.
 
                                      *********
 
                            SUPERCOMPUTING OPPORTUNITIES
 
Astronomers have become increasingly in need of large-scale scientific
computation.  The Division of Advanced Scientific Computing provides
individuals or teams of researchers access to supercomputers at four
NSF Supercomputer Centers.  These facilities are dedicated to serving
long-term needs, including training in the use of advanced computing.
Facilities are continually updated.
 
A brochure describing the NSF National Supercomputer Centers, their
equipment, and their application guidelines can be obtained from the
Office of Advanced Scientific Computing at the National Science
Foundation, 202/357-9776.
 
Software capitalization is an effort to promote the re-use and sharing
of research software among investigators and thereby enhance the
research software base.  It is an objective of NSF's CISE Directorate
to encourage the sharing of research results, including software, among
the widest possible community of researchers.  The program announcement
(NSF 90-30) sets guidelines whereby NSF investigators can obtain
software
 
capitalization supplements to existing NSF grants.  Funds designated
for software capitalization will be used exclusively for distributing
and supporting research software that has demonstrated its utility but
which cannot be obtained commercially.  Software capitalization
proposals will be accepted in any area relevant to an existing CISE
program.  For inquiries, call 202/357-5902.
 
                                      *********
 
                          OPPORTUNITIES FOR ASTRONOMERS IN
                              UNDERGRADUATE ACTIVITIES
 
NSF's undergraduate programs seek to achieve a permanent, high-quality
presence in U.S. undergraduate education that will help to ensure the
long-term health and vitality of the Nation's science, astronomical,
and engineering enterprise.  The Division of Undergraduate Science,
Engineering, and Mathematics Education (USEME) (a division within EHR),
202/357-9644, serves as the focal point for the NSF-wide mission at the
undergraduate level.
 
1.  Curriculum Development Program
 
    Curriculum and course development projects should describe a well-
    formulated underlying philosophy and a well-defined plan for
    development.  Proposals should contain complete details on which to
    base a multi-year award.  The project's description should cover
    planning, development, implementation, testing, evaluation, and
    dissemination stages.  Teacher training, methodology and related
    issues should be addressed as appropriate.  The deadline for
    proposals is June 15, 1992.
 
    For more information on the Curriculum Development Program, contact
    the Division of Undergraduate Science, Engineering, and Mathematics
    Education at 202/357-7051.  (NSF 91-50)
 
2.  Instrumentation and Laboratory Improvement (ILI)
 
    Through matching grants for the purchase of undergraduate computing
    equipment and other instructional apparatus in the astronomical
    sciences, this program supports instrumentation-based projects to
    generate more effective and efficient approaches to laboratory- and
    computer-based instruction.  Proposals should be limited to less
    than $100,000 NSF-requested support and require matching funds in
    an amount equal to or greater than the funds requested from NSF.
    The current deadline for proposals is November 15, 1991.
 
    A detailed brochure entitled Instrumentation and Laboratory
    Improvement (NSF 91-84) describing the proposal guidelines and
    submission requirements is available from USEME, 202/357-7051.
 
3.  Undergraduate Faculty Enhancement Program (UFE)
 
    This program offers grants for undergraduate faculty seminars and
    conferences to provide opportunities for groups of faculty to learn
    about new techniques and new developments in their fields.
    Proposal guidelines and submission dates are described in the
    program announcement Undergraduate Faculty Enhancement Program (NSF
    90-112).  The target date for submission of proposals beginning in
    the summer of 1992 was April 15, 1991.  Awards are made to conduct
    seminars, workshops, short courses, or similar activities for groups
    of faculty members.  For further information, contact the
    Undergraduate Faculty Enhancement Program at 202/357-7051.

4.  Research Experiences For Undergraduates (REU)
 
    Awards typically fall into two categories:
 
    A.  REU Sites.  These are grants to initiate and support
        undergraduate research participation sites, usually involving 8
        to 10 students.  Student participants should include significant
        fractions from outside the host institution, and proposals should
        describe what effort will be made to attract members from
        underrepresented groups.  These projects may be carried out
        during the summer months, during the academic year, or both.
        Student participants must be citizens or permanent residents of
        the U.S. and its possessions and must be enrolled in a program
        leading to a bachelor's degree.  Proposals for REU Sites must be
        received by NSF no later than October 1 annually.
 
    B.  REU Supplements.  These are supplements to ongoing NSF research
        awards to provide research training experiences for undergraduate
        students.  Normally, funds will be available for up to two
        students, but exceptions will be considered for training
        additional minority, disabled, or female students.  Proposals for
        REU supplements will be accepted at any time, but they should
        be submitted as early in the fiscal year as possible.  REU
        Supplements require 2 to 3 months processing time after receipt
        by NSF.
 
        Detailed information with regard to submission, deadline dates,
        proposal format and content, etc. is available in the
        announcement Research Experiences For Undergraduates (NSF 91-
        78).  This announcement can be obtained from the NSF Forms and
        Publications Unit or from the Divisional Education, Human
        Resources, and Special Programs Director.
 
                                     **********
 
                        ASTRONOMICAL SCIENCES OPPORTUNITIES
                              IN PRE-COLLEGE ACTIVITIES
 
The last few years have witnessed a substantial investment of the
Federal Government in science education and, in particular, in NSF's
EHR directorate.  As a consequence of this investment, new
opportunities are being created and earlier programs being revised.
Scholars in the astronomical sciences who are interested in these
opportunities to contribute to these exciting challenges in science
education should contact program officers in EHR to obtain up-to-date
information on available programs.
 
In addition to the undergraduate activities noted in the above section,
EHR has extensive pre-college programs.  Several programs of note are
Teacher Preparation and Enhancement (NSF 91-105), Materials
Development, Research and Informal Science Education (NSF 88-29), and
Career Access Opportunities in Science and Technology (NSF 88-102).
For further information on EHR programs contact 202/357-7557.
 
The previous sections, "Opportunities for Student and Postdoctoral
Fellowships in Research Career Development" and "Opportunities for
Astronomers in the Division of Research Initiation and Improvement"
detail information on career opportunities such as the Young Scholars
Program and the Research Careers for Minority Scholars activity.
Additional activities supported under the Career Access Program include
comprehensive regional centers for minorities and model projects for
women, minorities, and the disabled.

1.  Young Scholars
 
    This program offers funding for enrichment activities in science and
    engineering for high-potential or high-ability secondary-school
    students.  Proposals may be submitted by colleges or universities,
    their associations or consortia, scientific or professional
    societies whose members are primarily university faculty or
    researchers, and for-profit industries or other organizations which
    are engaged in significant advanced research efforts and have
    experience in interacting with students.  The deadline to submit
    proposals for FY 1993 funds is May 1, 1992.
 
    A program description and guidelines for application are in the
    brochure Young Scholars Program Announcement (NSF 91-37).  Contact
    the Division of Research Career Development at 202/357-7538.
 
2.  Informal Science Education
 
    This program provides support for projects that strengthen and
    enhance the scientific and technical understanding of the public
    outside of the formal education environment.  Activities could
    include radio or television programs, museum and planetarium
    activities, recreational learning activities, and work with
    organizations and clubs (such as amateur astronomers).
 
    A program description and guidelines for application are in the
    brochure Materials Development, Research and Informal Science
    Education (NSF 88-29).  The contact number is 202/357-7076.

 
Most of the publications of the National Science Foundation, including
    this one, are available electronically through STIS (Science and
    Technology Information System), NSF's online publishing system,
    described in NSF 91-10, the "STIS flyer."  To get a paper copy of the
    flyer, call NSF publications section at 202/357-7861.  For an
    electronic copy, send an e-mail message to [email-masked] (Internet)
    or stisinfo@nsf (BITNET).
 
The Foundation provides awards for research in the sciences and
engineering.  The awardee is wholly responsible for the conduct of such
research and preparation of the results for publication.  The
Foundation, therefore, does not assume responsibility for such findings
or their interpretation.
 
The Foundation welcomes proposals on behalf of all qualified scientists
and engineers, and strongly encourages women, minorities, and persons
with disabilities to compete fully in any of the research and research-
related programs described in this document.
 
Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers with Disabilities
provide funding for special assistance or equipment to enable persons
with disabilities (investigators and other staff, including student
research assistants) to work on an NSF project.  See the program
announcement, or contact the program coordinator in the Directorate
for Education and Human Resources.
 
In accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and NSF policies,
no person on grounds of race, color, age, sex, national origin, or
disability shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits
of, or be subject to discrimination under, any program or activity
receiving financial assistance from the National Science Foundation.
 
The National Science Foundation has TDD (Telephonic Device for the
Deaf) capability, which enables individuals with hearing impairment to
communicate with the Division of Personnel and Management about NSF
programs, employment, or general information.  This number is 202/357-
7492.
 
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
#47-049, Mathematical and Physical Sciences

 
OMB 3145-0058, 3145-0023
PT 34, 18, 22, DD, FF, II
KW 1013002, 0502031, 0502023                                  NSF 91-134
                                                                   (new)

..stis file is nsf91134
..expires with new edition
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).