Subject: April NSF Bulletin (New to be posted)
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 08:53 EST

Good Morning Paul,
    I spoke to Judd this morning about sending the NSF Bulletin over
to be posted to the NIH Listserver.  He didn't think it would be a
problem since this is text.   If you have any problems with posting
this to the listserver please let me know.  Otherwise please post this
to the listserver as: NSFCISE.910401
    Please let me know when these are posted.  Thanks.  Have a nice
Easter Holiday.
               Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
The April NSF Bulletin will be in 4 sections:
 
     General Announcements
 
     Proposal Dates for BBS
 
     Proposal Dates for CISE, EHR, ENG, and GEO
 
     Proposal Dates for MPS and STIA
 
- ------------------------------------------
 
                   April 1991  -  NSF Bulletin
 
Announcements
 
Academic Research Facilities Modernization Program Awards
 
On January 23, 1991, the Academic Research Facilities
Modernization Program announced awards totaling $39 million to 78
colleges, universities, and nonprofit institutions nationwide to
repair and renovate laboratories and other research facilities
used for scientific and engineering research and research
training.  The $39 million from NSF (from both FY90 and FY91
appropriations) will be combined with over $61 million in
institutional, state and local government, and other funds to
provide over $100 million in total support for projects in 37
states.
 
Copies of Press Release NSF PR 91-3 announcing the awards and
listing the recipient institutions can be obtained by calling
the Research Facilities Office at 357-9785 or the Office of
Legislative and Public Affairs at 357-9498.
 
The Administration's Budget to the Congress does not include
funding for this program in FY92.  Accordingly, no new program
solicitation is available.   For information on the status of the
program or to be added to the mailing list for any future
solicitations, please call the Research Facilities Office.
 
Science and Technology Information System
 
Have you tried STIS, the Foundation's new electronic
dissemination system which provides easy access to NSF
publications?  This is the fast and easy way to get NSF's
Bulletin, program announcements, Guide to Programs, telephone
directory, and many other NSF publications.
 
The full text of publications can be searched online, and copied
from the system.  There is no charge for connect time and no need
to register for a password.
 
On the Internet, STIS can be accessed by using a single command--
telnet stis.nsf.gov or telnet 128.150.195.40.  To copy a
publication, an Internet user can request that it be delivered
via e-mail, conduct an anonymous ftp session (file transfer
protocol), and print material from a screen display.
 
By dialing in, anyone with a modem can access STIS.  If the call
is long distance, users will pay a phone charge.  The system is
available at 1200, 2400, and 9600 Baud speeds.  Dial-in users see
exactly the same system as the Internet users.  To copy a
publication you may print material from a screen display, or
download the full text using Kermit protocol.
 
The STIS reference card in the Bulletin (paper version) can be
clipped and used as a guide for the system.  If you have
questions or comments concerning STIS please use the number
listed on the reference card.
 
Mathematical Sciences Proposals
 
Proposals for research in the Mathematical Sciences should be
submitted 6 to 9 months prior to the expected start date to
ensure timely notification of outcome.  The Division of
Mathematical Sciences will accept such proposals at any time of
the year.
 
Electronic Mail Addresses
 
Most NSF staff can be contacted via E-mail by using a first
initial and last name followed by @nsf.gov (Internet) or @nsf
(Bitnet).  For example, John Smith would be [email-masked].
Longer last names are shortened to seven letters (Schoolmaster
would be addressed as schoolm.)  In a few instances, these rules
do not hold true.  If you have a problem reaching a particular
NSF staff person via E-mail, please send your message to the
Bulletin editor ([email-masked] or mlwilson@nsf) and request
that the message be forwarded.
 
Alan T. Waterman Award Nominations
 
The deadline for receipt of nominations for the 17th Alan T.
Waterman Award is December 31, 1991.  The Award, presented
annually to an outstanding young scientist, mathematician or
engineer, will be announced and presented in May 1992.  For
further information and/or a copy of the guidelines for
submission, contact Mrs. Susan Fannoney, National Science Board
(357-7512).
 
                           * * * * *
 
STAFF CHANGES
 
William S. Cohen to Program Director, College Science
Instrumentation Program, Division of Undergraduate Science,
Engineering, and Mathematics Education, 357-0373.
 
Miriam A. Leiva to Program Director, Teacher Preparation
Program,  Division of Teacher Preparation and Enhancement, 357-
7069.
 
Vincy Fon to Associate Program Director, Economics Program,
Division of Social and Economic Sciences, 357-9674.
 
Irene C. Peden to Director, Division of Electrical and
Communications Systems, 357-9618.
 
                            * * * * *
 
NSF has a Vacancy Hotline listing all current vacancies.  The
Hotline number locally is 357-7735, outside the D.C. metropolitan
area call 1-800-628-1487.