Subject: NSF Bulletin-June/July/August
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 May 91 08:05 EST

Good Morning Paul,
    I am forwarding five items for posting to the NIH Listserver
this morning.  Please post this as NSFBULLETIN.910601
    Thanks.    Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Subject: NSF Bulletin-June/July/August
 
The summer NSF Bulletin covering June, July, and August is in 5 parts:
 
   1.  General Announcements
   2.  General Announcements, continued
   3.  Proposal Dates - BBS
   4.  Proposal Dates - CISE and ENG
   5.  Proposal Dates - GEO, MPS, and STIA
 
- -------------------------------------------------

NSF Announcements for June, July, August 1991
 
     The NSF Bulletin provides monthly news about NSF programs,
deadline dates, publications, meetings, and sources for more
information.  Telephone numbers are given in parentheses; all
numbers are the Washington, DC, area code 202, unless otherwise
indicated.  Hearing impaired individuals should call TDD 357-
7492.
 
Notice to Our Readers
 
     The October 1991 NSF Bulletin and the Fiscal Year 1992 NSF
Guide to Programs will be available by early October 1991 on the
Science and Technology Information System (STIS)--NSF's new
online publishing service.  The advent of STIS will affect our
readers as follows:
 
o    You will be able to get information on NSF programs and
     activities much faster than before, via Internet, Bitnet, or
     modem.  You can search through the system by topic and print
     out materials right away, rather than waiting for
     information to come in the mail.
 
o    Fewer copies of the Bulletin and the Guide will be printed
     and mailed this fall, and mailing lists will be cut back
     accordingly now that the information is online.  For more on
     this, see September Bulletin.
 
     For information on STIS, see NSF 91-10.  This flyer is
available on the STIS system, or it can be ordered either by
telephone or electronically:
 
     Phone:  (202) 357-7555
     Internet: [email-masked]
     Bitnet: stis@nsf
     Fax: (202) 357-7745
     TDD: (202) 357-7492
 
National Medal of Science Nominations
 
     Established in 1959, the National Medal of Science is
awarded by the President to individuals "deserving of special
recognition by reason of their outstanding contributions to
knowledge in the physical, biological, mathematical, engineering,
or social and behavioral sciences."  The deadline for receipt of
nominations for consideration in 1991 is July 31.  For further
information and/or a copy of the guidelines for submission,
contact Mrs. Susan Fannoney, National Science Board (357-7512).

Alan T. Waterman Award Nominations
     The deadline for receipt of nominations for the 17th Alan T.
Waterman Award is Dec. 31, 1991.  The Award, presented annually
to an outstanding young scientist, mathematician or engineer,
will be announced and presented in May 1992.  For further
information and/or a copy of the guidelines for submission,
contact Mrs. Susan Fannoney, National Science Board (357-7512).

EHR Advisory Committee Meeting
 
     The Advisory Committee for the Directorate for Education and
Human Resources will meet in NSF's room 540 on June 10-11, 1991,
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Contact Mr. Jim Smith (357-7926) for
further information.
 
Higher Education Survey Report
 
     A new report, Plant Biology Personnel and Training at
Doctorate-Granting Institutions, is now available.  Sponsored by
the Directorate for Biological, Behavioral, and Social Sciences,
this Higher Education Survey Report (Survey Number 13, December
1990) is available from the Forms and Publications Unit, Room
232, NSF, Washington, DC 20550.

Faculty Awards for Women Program
 
     The Faculty Awards for Women Program is currently being
revised.  There will not be a September 1 deadline for
nominations in 1991.  An update on this program will appear in a
subsequent issue of the NSF Bulletin.

Mathematical Sciences Research
 
     Proposals for research in the Mathematical Sciences should
be submitted six to nine months prior to the expected start date
to ensure timely notification of outcome.  The Division of
Mathematical Sciences will accept such proposals at any time of
the year.  Programs and staff are indicated below.
 
     Algebra and Number Theory--Dr. Ann Boyle or Dr. Gary Cornell
         (357-3695);
     Applied Mathematics--Dr. Alfonso Castro, Dr. Frederick
         Howes, or Dr. Michael Steuerwalt (357-3686);
     Classical Analysis--Dr. Frederick Howes (357-3455);
     Computational Mathematics--Dr. Alvin Thaler or Dr. Michael
         Steuerwalt (357-3691);
     Geometric Analysis--Dr. Robert Molzon (357-3451);
     Modern Analysis--Dr. Ira Herbst (357-3697);
     Special Projects--Dr. Deborah Lockhart, Dr. Ann Steiner, or
         Dr. Bernard McDonald (357-3453);
     Statistics and Probability--Dr. Peter Arzberger or Dr. Nell
         Sedransk (357-3693);
     Topology and Foundations--Dr. Ralph Krause (357-3457).
 
     Program officers may be contacted via INTERNET by appending
@note.nsf.gov after the first initial and last name (for example,
[email-masked]), or via BITNET by appending @nsf.

Mechanical Structural Systems Program Name Changes
 
     Below is a listing of the new program names and program
contacts for the Directorate for Engineering's Division of
Mechanical and Structural Systems programs.
 
     Structural, Systems and Construction Processes--Dr. Ken
         Chong (357-9542);
     Large Structural and Building Systems--Dr. John Scalzi (357-
         9542);
     Geomechanical, Geotechnical, and Geoenvironmental Systems--
         Dr. Mehmet Tumay (357-9542);
     Surface Engineering and Tribology--Dr. Jorn Larsen-Basse
         (357-9542);
     Mechanics and Materials--Dr. Lallit Anand (357-9542).
 
Deadline Date Changed
 
     The Program Deadline date for the program initiative Repair
and Rehabilitation Research for Seismic Resistance of Structures
(second year phase) has been changed from the date previously
announced in earlier Bulletins.  The new deadline date is June
30, 1991.  See Engineering Directorate listing in this Bulletin
for program information.
 
                            * * * * *
 
In FY 1989, more than 55,000 researchers and educators
volunteered their time to provide 203,000 reviews of 28,000
proposals to NSF's 175 programs.