Subject: September Bulletin
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 91 12:04 EST

Hi Paul,
The current NSF Bulletin has arrived.  It will be forwarded in
four parts.  Please post to the NIH Listserver as:
NSFBulletin.910901.
More to follow.
          Thanks, M. G. Broaddus
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
The September Bulletin is being sent to you in four parts:
 
     1) Announcements
     2) Program Deadlines for BBS, CISE and EHR
     3) Program Deadlines for ENG, GEO, MPS and STIA;
        NSF positions open and staff changes
     4) September 1991 Publications
 
*************
September 1991
NSF Bulletin
Volume 19, No. 1
ISSN 0145-0670
 
NSF Announcements for September 1991
 
     The NSF Bulletin provides monthly news about NSF programs,
deadline dates, publications, meetings, and sources for more
information. Telephone numbers are given in parentheses; all
numbers are the Washington, DC, area code 202, unless otherwise
indicated. Hearing impaired individuals should call TDD
357-7492.
 
Expanded Research Opportunities at LTER
Sites (EROL)
 
     The Division of Biotic Systems and Resources (BSR)
supports Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) at 18 sites that
represent large, secure, and ecologically diverse terrains. This
research is interdisciplinary and focuses on ecological
phenomena operating on time and spatial scales that exceed
those usually addressed by two- or three-year research grants.
Supplements to active awards from any of the four BSR research
programs are available for new activities at LTER sites. These
supplements allow investigators to enhance current projects by
taking advantage of the unique resources associated with LTER
sites.
     Supplemental projects should extend the goals of the
current award, but not duplicate currently funded research.
Requests for supplements should include (1) a cover letter
addressed to the relevant program, (2) a budget page (NSF Form
1030), and (3) a letter of agreement from the PI or director of
the relevant LTER site(s). The cover letter should detail
connections between the goal of the current award and proposed
activity, justify choice of LTER site(s), and provide an
explicit research plan. Requests will be evaluated on the
extent to which the proposed LTER-based activity enhances the
current research project, and diversifies and helps develop
research at the LTER site.
     NSF also accepts proposals for small-scale, exploratory,
high-risk research [see Small Grants for Exploratory Research
(SGER) NSF 89-85 for details]. All BSR research programs
consider SGER proposals, including those for work at LTER sites.
     All EROL requests must be for work at an LTER site not
funded through the investigators' home institution. Primary
awards for establishment or continuation of LTER sites are not
eligible for supplementation. SGERs and supplements for work at
LTER sites are limited to $25,000 per year or $50,000 per
project.  There are no submission deadlines.  Contact the
appropriate BSR program officer for further information.
 
Industrial Research in Japan
 
     What has been the experience of U.S. firms which establish
R&D facilities in Japan? Which Japanese companies would accept
a U.S. researcher interested in working in Japan? Those
questions are answered in large part in two publications now
offered by NSF's Japan program.
      Mr. Justin L. Bloom and Dr. Bruce Rubinger, authors of
the Survey of Direct U.S. Private Capital Investment in
Research and Development Facilities in Japan (NSF 91-312),
found that the 71 U.S. firms which have such labs probably
employ more than 5,200 Japanese scientists and engineers, at an
annual cost of about $520 million. Almost all the respondents
reported that their objectives were met within budget; a
majority plan to expand within the next five years.
     Directory of Japanese Company Laboratories Willing to
Receive American Researchers lists 154 Japanese company
laboratories giving lab size, facilities and equipment, and
preferences for seniority, duration of stay, and fields of
research for foreign researchers.  This report is an update of
the frequently requested January 1986 Tokyo Report Memorandum
#92.
     For copies of these publications send a postcard to: Japan
Program, Room 1214, NSF, Washington, DC 20550, or via e-mail to
NSFJinfo@nsf (Bitnet) or [email-masked] (Internet).
 
Materials Synthesis and Processing
 
     The nine NSF disciplinary programs listed below will
accept single- investigator research proposals and equipment or
instrumentation development proposals dealing with Materials
Synthesis and Processing. Because submission dates vary among
participating programs, contact the appropriate Program
Director for specific deadline or target dates.
     Multidisciplinary, collaborative research proposals and
equipment or instrumentation development proposals listing
several principal investigators have a deadline date of
November 1, annually, and should be directed to "MS&P
Coordinator" within one of the participating divisions:
Materials Research, Cellular Biosciences, Molecular
Biosciences, Chemistry, Biological and Critical Systems,
Chemical and Thermal Systems, Design and Manufacturing Systems,
Electrical and Communications Systems, Mechanical and
Structural Systems. For further information request NSF 91-75
on the order form in the back of this Bulletin.
 
Mailing Address for Submitting Proposals
 
     In an effort to improve the handling of proposals at NSF,
the proposal processing unit has requested that the publication
number, announcement number, or solicitation number be included
in the mailing address. For example:
     Proposal Processing Unit--Room 223
     NSF 91-xxx [proposal, solicitation,
     or announcement number]
     National Science Foundation
     Washington, DC 20550
 
Alan T. Waterman Award Nominations
 
     The deadline for receipt of nomina- tions for the 17th
Alan T. Waterman Award is Dec. 31, 1991. The Award, presented
annually to an outstanding young scientist, mathematician or
engineer, will be announced and presented in May 1992. For
further information and/or a copy of the guidelines for
submission, contact Mrs.  Susan Fannoney, National Science Board
(357-7512).
 
=====================================
 
The Foundation provides awards for research in the sciences and
engineering. The awardee is wholly responsible for the conduct
of such research and preparation of the results for
publication. The Foundation, therefore, does not assume
responsibility for such findings or their interpretation.
     The Foundation welcomes proposals on behalf of all
qualified scientists and engineers, and strongly encourages
women, minorities, and persons with disabilities to compete
fully in any of the research and related programs described
here.
     In accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and
NSF policies, no person on grounds of race, color, age, sex,
national origin, or disability shall be excluded from
participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to
discrimination under any program or activity receiving
financial assistance from the National Science Foundation.
     Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers With
Disabilities provides funding for special assistance or
equipment to enable persons with disabilities (investigators
and other staff, including student research assistants) to work
on an NSF project.  Contact the Directorate for Education and
Human Resources for further information about the program.
     The National Science Foundation has TDD (Telephonic Device
for the Deaf) capability, which enables individuals with
hearing impairment to communicate with the Division of
Personnel and Management about NSF programs, employment, or
general information. This number is (202) 357-7492.
 
=========================== end part 1