Subject: NSF Bulletin
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 91 08:22 EST

Hi Paul,
The November NSF Bulletin has arrived.  There is the Bulletin
itself plus 7 additional parts.  Please post this one to the
Listserver as NSFBulletin.911101.
Thanks,
     M. G. Broaddus
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF Bulletin, November 1991
Type        : Bulletin
NSF Contact : OLPA
Date        : October 23, 1991
 
November 1991
NSF Bulletin
Volume 19, No. 3
ISSN 0145-0670
 
P.T. 34,22,28,25,42,26,04,48,II,FF,DD
K.W. 1000000,0600000,0400000,1007000,
1004000,1010000,0504000,0505000

NSF Announcements
for November 1991
 
     The NSF Bulletin provides monthly news about NSF programs,
deadline dates, publications, meetings, and sources for more
information.  Telephone numbers are given in parentheses; all
numbers are the Washington, DC, area code 202, unless otherwise
indicated.  Hearing impaired individuals should call TDD 357-7492.
 
Global Dimensions of Intellectual Property Rights in S&T
 
     A major conference on "The Global Dimensions of Intellectual
Property Rights in Science and Technology" will be held at the
National Academy of Sciences, in Wash., D.C., on Jan. 8 and 9,
1992.  The conference will examine policy issues at the interface
of science and technology (S&T) and intellectual property rights
(IPR) -- issues that are becoming increasingly important in an era
of rapid change in S&T, international trade, and competitiveness.
The conference, which has NSF support, will be of interest to
professionals and practitioners in fields of science, engineering,
intellectual property, economics, law, international relations,
technology transfer, and development.
 
     Those interested in attending the conference should call Robin
Schoen at the National Academy of Sciences (334-2236).

New Publications
 
NSF #          Title
 
                         SRS Data Brief
 
91-307    "Two-Year Decline Expected in Real Research and
          Development Spending"
 
91-308    "Science and Engineering Doctoral Awards Reached Record
          Highs in 1990"
 
91-313    "Science and Engineering Baccalaureates Declined After
          1986 as Masters and Doctoral Degrees Increased"
 
                   Detailed Statistical Tables
 
90-321    Academic Science and Engineering:  Research and
          Development Expenditures, Fiscal Year 1989
 
90-324    Academic Science and Engineering:  Graduate Enrollment
          and Support, Fall 1989
 
90-327    Federal Funds for Research and Development:  Fiscal
          Year's 1989, 1990, and 1991, Volume XXXIX
 
91-310    Science and Engineering Doctorates:  1960-90
 
91-314    Science and Engineering Degrees:  1966-89
 
91-316    Federal Support to Universities, Colleges, and Nonprofit
          Institutions:  Fiscal Year 1989
 
                             Reports
 
91-304    Academic Research Equipment in Computer Science, Central
          Computer Facilities, and Engineering:  1989
 
91-305    Academic Research Equipment and Equipment Needs in the
          Physical Sciences:  1989
 
91-306    Planned Research and Development Expenditures of Major
          U.S. Firms:  1990-91
 
91-309    International Science and Technology Data Update:  1991
 
91-311    Academic Research Equipment and Equipment Needs in
          Selected Science and Engineering Fields:  1989-90
 
91-312    Survey of Direct U.S. Private Capital Investment in
          Research and Development Facilities in Japan
 
91-315    Characteristics of Science and Engineering Equipment in
          Academic Settings:  1989-90
 
     Copies of these reports are available free from NSF's Division
of Science Resources Studies (634-4622).

Errata
 
o     The Program Deadline date for Research Initiation Awards,
under the ENG Directorate, was incorrectly listed in the October
Bulletin.  The correct deadline date for this program is January
15.
 
                            * * * * *

o     Please disregard the listing for Research on Scientific
Databases, under the CISE Directorate, which appeared in the
October 1991 Bulletin with a deadline of May 15, 1992.

Alan T. Waterman Award Nominations
 
     The deadline for receipt of nominations for the 17th Alan T.
Waterman Award is Dec. 31, 1991.  The Award, presented annually to
an outstanding young scientist, mathematician, or engineer, will
be announced and presented in May 1992.  For further information
and/or a copy of the guidelines for submission, contact Mrs. Susan
Fannoney, National Science Board (357-7512).
 
=====================================
 
The Foundation provides awards for research in the sciences and
engineering.  The awardee is wholly responsible for the conduct of
such research and preparation of the results for publication.  The
Foundation, therefore, does not assume responsibility for such
findings or their interpretation.
 
     The Foundation welcomes proposals on behalf of all qualified
scientists and engineers, and strongly encourages women,
minorities, and persons with disabilities to compete fully in any
of the research and related programs described here.
 
     In accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and NSF
policies, no person on grounds of race, color, age, sex, national
origin, or disability shall be excluded from participation in,
denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any
program or activity receiving financial assistance from the
National Science Foundation.
 
     Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers with
Disabilities provides funding for special assistance or equipment
to enable persons with disabilities (investigators and other staff,
including student research assistants) to work on an NSF project.
Contact the Directorate for Education and Human Resources for
further information about the program.
 
     The National Science Foundation has TDD (Telephonic Device for
the Deaf) capability, which enables individuals with hearing
impairment to communicate with the Division of Personnel and
Management about NSF programs, employment, or general information.
This number is (202) 357-7492.
=======================================

Program Deadlines and Target Dates for Proposals
 
     The following listing gives key dates on which grant proposals
are due at NSF for the next three months.  The dates listed are
subject to change.  Further information is available from the NSF
staff members listed for each entry.  Brochures indicated in
parentheses may be requested on the Publications Order Form, unless
otherwise indicated.  The number and letter codes after some
announcements refer to listings in the publication Keyword
Thesaurus.  They are used by the research management offices of
colleges and universities to target NSF Bulletin information to
potential users.

 
Program Deadlines:  Unless otherwise stated in announcements or
solicitations, proposals postmarked after these cutoff dates
generally will be returned to the proposer.
 
Target Dates:  Unless otherwise stated in announcements or
solicitations, proposals postmarked after these cutoff dates will
be reviewed, although they may miss a particular panel meeting.
 
                            * * * * *
 
     NSF programs not listed under "program deadlines" and "target
dates" will accept proposals at any time of the year.  It takes
approximately six months to process a proposal.
                            * * * * *
 
BBS  Biological, Behavioral, and Social Sciences
                           *CFDA #47.051
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
November 1, 1991--
 
     Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in Environmental Biology.
(Brochure NSF 90-67.)  Dr. Penelope Firth, Division of Biotic
Systems and Resources (357-7332).  [P.T.22; K.W.1007001.]
 
     Mid-Career Fellowship Opportunities in Environmental Biology.
(Brochure NSF 90-65.)  Dr. Penelope Firth, Division of Biotic
Systems and Resources (357-7332).  [P.T.22; K.W.1007001.]
 
     Minority Postdoctoral Research Fellowships.  (Brochure NSF 91-
118.)  Dr. Thomas Quarles, Division of Instrumentation and
Resources (357-9880).  [F.F.; P.T.22,34; K.W.1002000.]
 
     Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in Plant Biology.  (Brochure
NSF 91-63.)  Dr. Machi Dilworth (357-7652).  [P.T.22; K.W.1002040.]
 
November 3, 1991--
 
     BBS Research Training Groups Program.  Preproposals.
(Brochure NSF 89-91.)  Dr. Gerald Selzer, Division of
Instrumentation and Resources (357-7652).  [P.T.44; K.W.0901072.]
 
December 1, 1991--
 
     Geography and Regional Science.  Doctoral Dissertation
Improvement Awards.  (Brochure NSF 89-32.)  Dr. Brian Holly,
Division of Social and Economic Science (357-7326).  [P.T.34,40;
K.W.04000000,04080000,1007001,0785110.]
 
TARGET DATES:
 
November 1, 1991--
 
     Ethics and Values Studies.  Preliminary proposals.  (Brochure
NSF 91-109.)  Dr. Rachelle Hollander, Division of Instrumentation
and Resources (357-9894).  [P.T.34,42;
K.W.1000000,0600000,0400000.]
 
     Instrumentation and Instrument Development.  (Brochure NSF 89-
119.)  Dr. John Wooley, Division of Instrumentation and Resources
(357-7652).  [P.T.18; K.W.1002004,1002008,1002034.]
 
December 1, 1991--
 
     Archaeology.  (Brochure NSF 88-93.)  Dr. John Yellen, Division
of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7804).  [P.T.34,
K.W.0401002.]
 
     Biochemistry.  (Brochure NSF 89-75.)  Dr. Marcia Steinberg or
Dr. Todd Martensen, Division of Molecular Biosciences (357-7945).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
     Biophysics.  (Brochure NSF 89-75.)  Dr. Arthur Kowalsky or Dr.
Kamal Shukla, Division of Molecular Biosciences (357-7777).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
  Cell Biology.  (Brochure NSF 90-128.)  Dr. Eve Barak, Dr. Stephen
Wolniak, or Dr. Eleanor McGowan, Division of Cellular Biosciences
(357-7474).  [P.T.34; K.W.1003002.]
 
     Cellular Biochemistry.  (Brochure NSF 90-128.)  Dr. Robert
Burchard or Dr. Ernest Uribe, Division of Cellular Biosciences
(357-7987).  [P.T.34; K.W.1003002.]
 
     Cultural Anthropology.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Stuart
Plattner, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7804).
[P.T.34; K.W.0401001.]
 
  Developmental Biology.  (Brochure NSF 90-128.) Dr. Thomas Brady
or Dr. Judith Plesset, Division of Cellular Biosciences (357-
7989).  [P.T.34; K.W.1003002.]
 
     Genetics.  (Brochure NSF 89-75.)  Dr. S. Porter-Ridley-Synder
(357-0112) or Dr. Martin Pato (357-9687), Division of Molecular
Biosciences.  [P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
     Physical Anthropology.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Mark Weiss,
Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7804).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0401002.]
 
     Physiological Processes.  (Brochure NSF 90-128.)  Dr. Donald
Jackson, Dr. Elvira Doman, or Dr. Barbara Zain, Division of
Cellular Biosciences (357-7975).  [P.T.34; K.W.1003002.]
 
December 15, 1991--
 
  Ecology.  (Brochure NSF 86-20.)  Dr. Laurel Fox or Dr. Joann
Roskoski, Division of Biotic Systems and Resources (357-9734).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002016.]
 
  Ecosystem Studies.  (Brochure NSF 86-20.)   Dr. James Reynolds
or Dr. James Callahan, Division of Biotic Systems and Resources
(357-9596).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002016.]
 
  Population Biology and Physiological Ecology.  (Brochure NSF 86-
20.)  Dr. Carol Lynch, Dr. Grace Wyngaard, or Dr. Theodore Garland,
Jr., Division of Biotic Systems and Resources (357-9728).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0413004.]
 
  Systematic Biology.  (Brochure NSF 86-20.)  Dr. Terry Yates, Dr.
James Estes, or Dr. James Rodman, Division of Biotic Systems and
Resources (357-9588).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002011.]
 
January 1, 1992--
 
  Systematic Anthropological Collections.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)
Dr. John Yellen, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-
7804).  [P.T.34; K.W.0401001.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     Animal Behavior.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Fred Stollnitz,
Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7949).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0201009.]
 
     Behavioral Neuroendocrinology.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr.
Kathie Olsen, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-
7040). [P.T.34; K.W.1002030.]
 
     Cellular Neuroscience.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Edward
Lieberman, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7471).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002030.]
 
  Decision, Risk, and Management Science.  (Brochure NSF 89-121.)
Dr. Robert Bordley (357-7569) or Dr. John Castellan (357-7417),
Division of Social and Economic Science.  [P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]

  Developmental Neuroscience.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Martha
Bohn, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7042).
[P.T.34; K.W.0414012.]
 
     Economics.  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. Daniel Newlon, Dr. Lynn
Pollnow, or Dr. Vincy Fon, Division of Social and Economic Science
(357-9674).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
  Geography and Regional Science.  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. Brian
Holly, Division of Social and Economic Science (357-7326). [P.T.34;
K.W.1002008.]
 
     Human Cognition and Perception.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr.
Joseph Young, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-
9898).
[P.T.34; K.W.0414017.]
 
     Instrumentation Facilities for the Biological and Behavioral
Sciences.  (Brochure NSF 88-105.)  Dr. John Wooley, Division of
Instrumentation and Resources (357-7652).  [P.T.04; K.W.1002000.]
 
  Law and Social Science.  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. Michael
Musheno, Division of Social and Economic Science (357-9567).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
     Linguistics.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Paul Chapin, Division
of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7696).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0409004.]
 
     Methodology, Measurement, and Statistics in the Social
Sciences (MMS).  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. James Blackman, Division
of Social and Economic Science. (357-7966).  [P.T.34, K.W.1002008.]
 
     Neural Mechanisms of Behavior.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr.
Judith Finkelstein, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences
(357-7040).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002020.]
 
     Cognitive, Computational, and Theoretical Neurobiology.
(Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Judith Finkelstein, Division of
Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7949).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002020.]
 
  Political Science.  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. Frank Scioli,
Division of Social and Economic Science (357-9406).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1002008.]
 
  Sensory Systems.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Katherine Fite,
Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7428).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0414011.]
 
     Social Psychology.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Jean
Intermaggio.  Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-
9485). [P.T.34; K.W.0414014.]
 
  Sociology.  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. Annemette Sorensen or Dr.
Sara Nerlove, Division of Social and Economic Science (357-7802).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
     Synaptic Mechanisms.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Sanya
Springfield, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-
7428).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002020.]

CISE Computer and Information Science
          and Engineering
CFDA #47.070
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
December 1, 1991--
 
     Networking and Communications Research.
 (Brochure NSF 89-110.)  Dr. Aubrey Bush, Division of Networking
and Communications Research and Infrastructure (357-9717).
[P.T.34; K.W.1004000,1004017,1004018.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     Research Initiation Awards.  (Brochure NSF 88-99.)  Dr.
Bernard Chern, Division of Microelectronic Information Processing
Systems (357-7373) or in the Engineering Directorate, Office of
Engineering Infrastructure Development (357-5102).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0605000,0607000,0608000.]
 
January 16, 1992--
 
     New Technologies Program.  (Contact Program for Brochure.)
Support for Postdoctoral Research Associateships in Computational
Science and Engineering.  Dr. Merrell Patrick, Division of Advanced
Scientific Computing (357-7727).  NETaddress:  [email-masked].
[P.T. 34; K.W.1004003,1004000.]
 
TARGET DATES:
 
November 1, 1991--
 
     Circuits and Signal Processing.  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Dr. John Cozzens, Division of Microelectronic
Information Processing Systems (357-7853).  NETaddress:
[email-masked].  [P.T.34; K.W.1004000.]
 
     Theory of Computing.  (Contact Program for Brochure.)  Dr.
Dana Richards, Division of Computer and Computation Research (357-
7375).  NETaddress: [email-masked].  [P.T.34; K.W.1004000.]
 
     Computer Systems Architecture.  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Dr. Zeke Zalcstein, Division of Computer and
Computation Research (357-1184).  NETaddress:  [email-masked].
[P.T. 34; K.W.1004000,1004030,1004004.]
 
     Database and Expert Systems.  (Contact Program for Brochure.)
Dr. Maria Zemankova, Information Robotics and Intelligent Systems
(357-9570).  NETaddress:  [email-masked].  [P.T.34;
K.W.1004000,0607029,1004027.]
 
     Design, Tools, and Test.  (Contact Program for Brochure.)  Dr.
Robert Grafton, Division of Microelectronic Information Processing
Systems (357-7853).  NETaddress: [email-masked]. [K.W.1004017.]
 
     Experimental Systems.  (Contact Program for Brochure.)  Dr.
Gerald Maguire, Division of Microelectronic Information Processing
Systems (357-7853).  NETaddress: [email-masked].  [K.W.1004017.]
 
     Information Technology and Organizations.  (Contact Program
for Brochure.)  Dr. Larry Rosenberg, Division of Information
Robotics and Intelligent Systems (357-9592).  NETaddress:
[email-masked].  [K.W.1004017.]
 
     Interactive Systems.  (Contact Program for Brochure.)  Dr.
John Hestenes, Division of Information Robotics and Intelligent
Systems (357-9554).  NETaddress:  [email-masked].  [K.W.1004017.]
 
     Knowledge Models and Cognitive Systems.  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Dr. Su-Shing Chen, Division of Information Robotics and
Intelligent Systems (357-9569).  NETaddress:  [email-masked].
[P.T.34; K.W.1004017.]
 
     Microelectronic Systems Architecture.  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Dr. Pen-Chung Yew, Division of Microelectronic
Information Processing Systems (357-7853).   NETaddress:
[email-masked].  [K.W.1004017.]
 
     NSFNET Program.  (Brochure NSF 90-7.)  Connections to NSFNET.
Mr. Daniel VanBelleghem, Division of Networking and Communications
Research and Infrastructure (357-9717).  Internet: [email-masked]
[P.T.18,36; K.W.1004000,1004001,0901011,1014001.]
 
     Numeric, Symbolic, and Geometric Computation.  (Contact
Program for Brochure.)  Dr. Kamal Abdali, Division of Computer and
Computation Research (357-7349).  NETaddress:  [email-masked].
[P.T.34; K.W.1004000,1004025,1004007.]
 
     Operating Systems and Systems Software.  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Dr. Nat Macon, Division of Computer and Computation
Research (357-7345).  NETaddress: [email-masked].  [P.T.34;
K.W.1004000,1004007,1004085.]
 
     Robotics and Machine Intelligence.  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Dr. Howard Moraff, Division of Information Robotics and
Intelligent Systems (357-9586).  [P.T.1004017.]  NETaddress:
[email-masked].
 
     Programming Languages and Compilers.  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Dr. Harry Hedges, Division of Computer and Computation
Research (357-7345).  NETaddress:  [email-masked].  [P.T.34;
K.W.1004000,1004006.]
 
     Software Engineering. (Contact Program for Brochure.)  Dr. Nat
Macon, Division of Computer and Computation Research (357-7375).
NETaddress: [email-masked].  [P.T.34; K.W.1004000.]
 
     Systems Prototyping and Fabrication.  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Dr. Paul Hulina, Division of Microelectronic
Information Processing Systems (357-7853).  NETaddress:
[email-masked].  [P.T.34,42; K.W.1004000.]

EHR     Education and Human Resources
CFDA #47.009, 47.066-69, 47.071
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
November 2, 1991--
 
  NATO Postdoctoral Fellowships in Science and Engineering.
(Brochure NSF 91-88.)  Dr. Michael Frodyma, Division of Research
Career Development (357-9466).  [P.T.22;
K.W.1013000,1002000,10100000,0600000,0400000,0309008.]
 
November 8, 1991--
 
  Graduate Research Fellowships.  (Brochure NSF 91-72.)  Dr. Susan
Sherman, Division of Research Career Development (357-7856).  For
copies of the announcement and application materials contact the
Fellowship Office, National Research Council, 2101 Constitution
Ave., Wash., DC 20418 (334-2872).  [P.T.22.]

  Minority Graduate Research Fellowships.  (Brochure NSF 91-73.)
Dr. Susan Sherman, Division of Research Career Development (357-
7856).  For copies of the announcement and application materials,
contact the Fellowship Office, National Research Council, 2101
Constitution Ave., Wash., DC 20418 (334-2872).  [F.F.; P.T.22.]
 
November 15, 1991--
 
     Instrumentation and Laboratory Improvement.  (Brochure NSF 91-
84.)  Dr. Duncan McBride, Division of Undergraduate Science,
Engineering, and Mathematics Education (357-7051).
[K.W.0502031,0502023.]
 
     Leadership Projects in Laboratory Development.
Instrumentation and Laboratory Improvement (ILI) Program.
(Brochure NSF 91-84.)  Pilot projects in laboratory development.
Proposers are strongly encouraged to contact an ILI Program
Director before preparing a proposal, and proposals must be
preceded by a letter describing plans.  Contact a Program Director,
Division of Undergraduate Science, Engineering, and Mathematics
Education (357-7051). [P.T.14; K.W.0500000.]
 
     Visiting Professorships for Women (VPW).  (Brochure NSF 91-
87.)  Program requires that the applicant have a Ph.D. in a field
of research supported by NSF and not hold a salaried position, or
the promise of one, at the proposed host institution.  Ms. Lola
Rogers, Division of Human Resource Development (357-7456).
[P.T.06,11; K.W.0400000,1010000,1004000.]
 
December 1, 1991--
 
     Research Improvement in Minority Institutions (RIMI).
(Brochure NSF 89-7.)  Eligibility--Institutions that offer
engineering programs or graduate programs in science, and whose
total student body is more than 50 percent Black, Hispanic,
American Indian, Alaskan Native, or Native Pacific Islander, or 20
percent plus of any one eligible underrepresented minority group.
Investigator--any scientist/engineer at eligible institutions.  Dr.
Margaret Tolbert, Division of Human Resource Development (357-
7350).  [P.T.FF,34; K.W.1000000,0600000,0400000,1010000.]
 
December 2, 1991--
 
     Presidential Faculty Fellows.  (Brochure NSF 91-103).  Mary
Sladek, Division of Research Career Development (357-9466).
[P.T.22; K.W.1000000,0600000.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     Career Advancement Awards (CAA).  (Brochure NSF 90-121.)
Eligibility requirements:  Experienced women who are eligible to
receive standard NSF research grants.  Because of the nature of
these awards, co-investigators would not be appropriate.  Contact
the disciplinary program officer or Dr. Margrete Klein, Division
of Human Resource Development (357-7734).  [P.T.34,11;
K.W.1000000,0600000,0400000.]
 
     Research Planning Grants (RPG).  (Brochure NSF 90-121.)
Eligibility requirements:  Women eligible for standard NSF awards
who have not previously served as principal or co-principal
investigators on an individual federal award or whose research
careers have been interrupted for at least two of the past five
years.  Because of the nature of these awards, co-investigator
would not be appropriate.  Contact the disciplinary program officer
or Dr. Margrete Klein, Division of Human Resource Development (357-
7734).  [P.T.34,11; K.W.1000000,0600000,0400000.]
 
January 31, 1992--
 
     Career Access Opportunities in Science and Technology for
Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities.  (Brochure NSF
90-126.)  Comprehensive Regional Centers for Minorities; Model
Projects for Women, Minorities, and the Disabled.  Division of
Human Resource Development (357-7461).  [P.T.04,042,25,14;
DD,FF,11, K.W.0502023,0502031.]
 
     NSF Young Investigator Awards.  (Brochure NSF 91-112.)  Mary
Sladek, Division of Research Career Development (357-9466).
[P.T.34;  K.W.1000000,0600000.]
 
TARGET DATES:
 
November 15, 1991--
 
  Instructional Materials Development.  Preliminary proposals
required.  (Brochure NSF 88-29.)  Ms. Alice Moses, Mr. Jerry
Theise, Dr. Gerhard Salinger, Dr. Frank Sutman, Dr. Joseph Adney,
or Dr. Donald Humphreys, Division of Materials Development,
Research, and Informal Science Education (357-7066).
[P.T.25; K.W.0502031;0503003;0503016.]
 
January 13, 1992--
 
  Research Careers for Minority Scholars (RCMS).  (Brochure NSF 90-
136.)  Program provides grants to all U.S. colleges and
universities to assist in the implementation of projects that will
contribute to the entry and retention of minority students in
science and engineering.  Dr. Roosevelt Johnson, Division of Human
Resource Development (357-5054).  [P.T.34,FF;
 K.W.1000000,0600000,0400000,1010000.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     Applications for Advanced Technologies.  Preliminary proposals
required.  (Brochure NSF 88-29.)  Ms. Beverly Hunter, Division of
Materials Development, Research, and Informal Science Education
(357-7064).
[K.W.0502031,0503003,0503016.]
 
January 31, 1992--
 
     Alliances for Minority Participation (AMP).  Implementation
Proposals.  (Brochure NSF 90-44.)  Proposals designed to form
coalitions among the science and engineering community to increase
substantially minority graduates in science and engineering fields
supported by NSF.  Eligibility:  Research scientists, engineers,
educators, and administrators may submit for non-profit
organizations and/or academic institutions.  Dr. William McHenry
or Dr. Ana Guzman, Division of Research Initiation and Improvement
(357-7461).  [P.T.FF;
K.W.1000000,0600000,1010000,0502031,0502023,0502042.]

ENG  Engineering
                                                     CFDA #47.041
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
November 1, 1991--
 
     Mechanical and Structural Systems.  Submission of unsolicited
proposals to MSS/ENG for panel review.  Submit proposals to
Division of Mechanical and Structural Systems (357-9542).  [P.T.
34; K.W.0606000,0609000.]
 
December 15, 1991--
 
     Materials Chemistry and Chemical Processing.  (Brochure NSF
89-93.)  Dr. Robert Wellek (357-9606).  [P.T.34,
K.W.1009000,1003000.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     Research Initiation Awards (RIA).  (Brochure NSF 88-99 and
revision notice 9/19/91.)  Sharon Middledorf, Division of
Engineering Infrastructure Development (786-9530) or Dr. Bernard
Chern, Computer and Information Science and Engineering Directorate
(357-7373).  [P.T.34; K.W.0605000,0607000,0608000.]
 
     State/Industry University Cooperative Research Centers.
(Brochure NSF 91-42.)  Dr. Tap Mukherjee, Division of Engineering
Centers (357-9707).  [P.T.34,04; K.W.1107000.]

 
GEO  Geosciences
CFDA #47.050
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
November 1, 1991--
 
     Atmospheric Sciences Research -- Coupling, Energetics, and
Dynamics of Atmospheric Regions (CEDAR).  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Proposals for funding in FY 92 for major CEDAR
projects.  Dr. Fred Roesler (357-7619).  [K.W. 1001000.]
 
December 1, 1991--
 
  Division of Earth Sciences.  Descriptions of Programs are
contained in "Earth Sciences Research and NSF", brochure NSF 90-
20.  [P.T.34; K.W.1005000.]
 
     Geology and Paleontology.  Dr. John Maccini (357-7866) or Dr.
     Patricia Kelley (357-7806).
     Geophysics.  Dr. Michael Mayhew (357-7355) or Dr. James
     Whitcomb (357-7356).
     Instrumentation and Facilities.  Dr. Daniel Weill or Dr.
     Herman Roberson (357-7807).
     Petrology and Geochemistry.  Dr. John Snyder or Dr. Guy Hovis
     (357-7916).
     Tectonics Program.  Dr. Thomas Wright or Dr. Carol Simpson
     (357-7355).
 
TARGET DATES:
 
November 1, 1991--
 
     Biological Oceanography, Chemical Oceanography, Marine Geology
and Geophysics, Physical Oceanography.  Dr. Michael Reeve, Division
of Ocean Sciences (357-7924).  [P.T. 34; K.W. 1008000.]
 
  Ocean Drilling Program.  Dr. Bruce Malfait, Division of Ocean
Sciences (357-9848).  [P.T.34; K.W.1008000.]
 
     Ocean Sciences Instrumentation Development.  Mr. Lawrence
Clark, Division of Ocean Sciences (357-7362).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1008000,1014001.]
 
December 1, 1991--
 
  Geospace Environment Modelling--Division of Atmospheric Sciences.
(Contact Program for Brochure.)  Grants are for mapping boundary
processes through the magnetosphere to the dayside ionosphere.  Dr.
Timothy Eastman, Magnetospheric Physics Program (357-0040).
[K.W.1013018.]
 
January 1, 1992--
 
  Arctic Social Sciences.  (Brochure NSF 90-57.)  Dr. Noel
Broadbent, Division of Polar Programs (357-7817).  [P.T. 34;
K.W.0014000,0111001.]
 
     Division of Atmospheric Sciences.  Research proposals that
require National Center for Atmospheric Research or university-
based national facilities for the period Oct. 1, 1992, through Apr.
1, 1993.  Dr. Stephen Nelson (357-9431) or Dr. Clifford Jacobs
(357-9695).  [P.T.34; K.W.1001010.]

MPS  Mathematical and Physical
          Sciences
                                                     CFDA #47.049
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
November 1, 1991--
 
     Interdisciplinary, Collaborative Proposals for the NSF
Initiative on "Materials Synthesis and Processing."  (Brochure NSF
91-75.)  Dr. David Nelson, Division of Materials Research (357-
9787) or Dr. Seymour Lapporte, Division of Chemistry (357-7503).
[P.T.34; K.W.100200,0600000,1003000.]
 
December 2, 1991--
 
  Scientific Computing Research Environments for the Mathematical
Sciences.  (Brochure NSF 91-113.)  Dr. Alvin Thaler, Office of
Special Projects, Division of Mathematical Sciences (357-3691).
[P.T.18; K.W.1010000.]
 
TARGET DATES:
 
November 1, 1991--
 
     Condensed Matter Physics.  Dr. Ralph Hudson, Dr. Hollis
Wickman, or Dr. Clive Perry, Division of Materials Research (357-
9787).  NETaddress:  [email-masked].  [P.T.34;
K.W.1013000,1013006,1013018.]
 
     Instrumentation for Materials Research.  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Dr. Lorretta Inglehart, Division of Materials Research
(357-9789).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1009000,1013006,1013015,1013028,1013035,1013036.]
 
     Materials Theory.  Dr. Bruce Taggart or Dr. Brian Dodson,
Division of Materials Research (357-9787).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1009000,1013006,1240055,1013035.]
 
     Metals, Ceramics, and Electronic Materials.  Dr. Bruce
MacDonald, Dr. Franklin Wang, or Dr. Verne Hess, Division of
Materials Research (357-9789).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1009000,1009006,1009070,1009002,1009001,1009011,1013037,10130
00,1009008,1009007.]
 
     Single Investigator Disciplinary Proposals for NSF Initiative
on "Materials Synthesis and Processing."  (Brochure NSF 91-75).
Contact the appropriate Program Director, Division of Materials
Research.  [P.T. 34; K.W.1002000,0600000,1003000.]
 
     Solid-State Chemistry and Polymers.  Dr. Norbert Bikales or
Dr. David Nelson, Division of Materials Research (357-9787).
[P.T.34; K.W.1003000,1003041,1003039,1009013.]

STIA      Scientific, Technological, and International Affairs
CFDA #47.053
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
November 1, 1991--
 
     Cooperative Research, Bilateral Workshops, and Scientific
Visits.  (Brochure NSF 80-52.)  Foreign collaborator must submit
a parallel proposal to counterpart agency.
 
  U.S.-Argentina Cooperative Science.
  U.S.-Brazil Cooperative Science.
  U.S.-Mexico Cooperative Science.
     U.S.-Venezuela Cooperative Science.
 
Contact Dr. Harold Stolberg or Ms. Emily Rudin, Division of
International Programs (653-5749).  [P.T.34,42,48;
K.W.0400000,0600000,1000000.]
 
     Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) and the
Science and Technology Agency of Japan (STA) Postdoctoral Awards
for United States Researchers.  (Brochure NSF 90-144.)  Annual
deadline.  NSF coordinates with JSPS and STA to place U.S.
researchers in Japanese university and government laboratories for
12-month and 6- to 24-month periods, respectively.  Contact Japan
Program, NSF, Vermont Avenue Annex, Wash., D.C. 20550 or, via E-
mail, [email-masked] (Internet) or NSFJinfo@nsf (BITNET).
[P.T.34; Loc.0112070.]
 
     Long- and Medium-Term Research at Foreign Centers of
Excellence.  (Brochure NSF 89-112.)  Postdoctoral research only.
Open to U.S. citizens who expect to receive a doctorate degree by
the award date, or who have received a doctorate no longer than six
years before the date of application.  Ms. Susan Parris, Division
of International Programs (653-5277).  [P.T.34; K.W.0112000.]
 
     U.S.-Yugoslavia Joint Board for Scientific and Technological
Cooperation.  Cooperative activities include joint research,
bilateral workshops, and project development visits.  Ms. Rose
Bader, Division of International Programs (653-5437).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0112150.]
 
November 15, 1991--
 
  U.S.-Israel Binational Science Foundation (BSF).  Proposals
should not be submitted to NSF; send to BSF Jerusalem.  Division
of International Programs (653-5361).  [P.T.34; K.W.0112066.]
 
December 15, 1991--
 
     Awards for Japanese-Language Study by Researchers in Science
and Engineering.  (Brochure NSF 90-144.)  Support for Japanese-
language study in the U.S. aimed at facilitating U.S.-Japan
cooperative research or developing the ability to read Japanese
technical literature.  Contact Japan Program, NSF, Vermont Avenue
Annex, Wash., D.C.
20550 or, via E-mail, [email-masked] (Internet) or NSFJinfo@nsf
(BITNET).  [P.T.08,23,25; K.W.0312034,0410001,0502021.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     U.S. Taiwan Cooperative Science Program.  Proposals for
cooperative research projects and joint workshop seminars.  Dr.
William Chang, Division of International Programs (653-5343).
[K.W.0112133.]
 
     Summer Institute in Japan.  Up to 50 U.S. science and
engineering graduate students will intern at Japanese research labs
and receive Japanese language training in Tsukuba Science City,
Japan, during the summer of 1992.  Request the brochure by sending
a postcard to:  Japan Program, Vermont Avenue Annex, NSF, Wash.,
D.C. 20550, or via E-mail to [email-masked] (Internet) or
NSFJinfo@nsf (BITNET).  [P.T.34,48; K.W.0112066; Loc.0112070.]

TARGET DATES:
 
November 1, 1991--
 
  U.S.-China Cooperative Science.  (Brochure NSF 82-50.)
Cooperative research only.  The program does not accept travel
requests or unsolicited proposals for joint seminars and workshops.
Call for current status of program.  Ms. Alice Hogan (653-5343).
[P.T.34; K.W.0112027.]
 
December 1, 1991--
 
     Long-term Research Opportunities in Japan.  (Brochure NSF 90-
144.)  U.S. researchers can visit Japanese government, university,
and industrial laboratories for six to 24 months.  Contact Japan
Program, NSF, Vermont Avenue Annex, Wash., D.C. 20550 or, via E-
mail, [email-masked] (Internet) or NSFJinfo@nsf (BITNET).
[P.T.34; Loc.0112070.]

 
POSITIONS OPEN
 
     Applicants for the following positions should submit form SF-
171, Application for Federal Employment, and a Letter of
Recommendation (a resume, with current salary, may be submitted for
rotational/temporary assignment).  Send to NSF, Division of
Personnel and Management, Room 208, 1800 G Street, N.W., Wash., DC
20550, Attn:  Catherine Handle.  Hearing impaired individuals
should call:  TDD 357-7492.  NSF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
 
    These positions are excepted from the competitive civil service
and will be filled on a permanent, one- or two-year rotational or
temporary basis.  The type of appointment is indicated in the job
announcements.  For additional information and/or to obtain the
closing date for the announcement, call 357-9681.
 
    The per annum salary is as follows:
 
     Program Director Level IV--$52,406 to $82,650
     Associate Program Director Level III--$44,348 to $69,863
     Assistant Program Director Level II--$31,116 to $57,650
 
                            * * * * *
 
Hotline Service
 
     NSF has a Vacancy Hotline listing all current vacancies.  The
Hotline number locally is 357-7735, outside the D.C. metropolitan
area call 1-800-628-1487.
 
                           * * * * *
 
o     NSF's Division of Molecular Biosciences (BBS Directorate) is
seeking qualified Visiting Scientist candidates for Program Direc-
tor, Associate Program Director, or Assistant Program Director
positions in the Genetics Program for summer/fall 1992.  Incumbents
will be responsible for research proposal evaluation, budget
development, and scientific planning.  Applicants should have a
Ph.D. or equivalent experience, broad knowledge of the field, and
specific research accomplishments as follows:  six or more years
for a Program Director, four or more years for an Associate Program
Director, and two or more years for an Assistant Program Director.
For further information, call Dr. Philip Harriman, 357-9400.
 
o     NSF's Division of Mathematical Sciences (MPS Directorate) is
seeking qualified applicants for positions which periodically
become available.  Incumbents will be responsible for the planning,
coordination, and management of basic research activities primarily
through federal grants and contracts to academic institutions and
non-profit, non-academic research institutions.  Applicants must
have a Ph.D. in mathematics, a broad, general knowledge of the
field, and some administrative experience.  For technical informa-
tion about the positions, contact Dr. Judith Sunley, Division
Director, Division of Mathematical Sciences, 357-9669.

Staff Changes
 
     Edwin H. Abbott to Program Officer, Special Projects Program,
Division of Chemistry, 357-7503.
     Bruce H. Barnes to Acting Director, Division of Computer and
Computation Research, 357-9747.
 
     John Cherniavsky to Acting Head, Office of Cross Disciplinary
Activities, Directorate for Computer and Information Science and
Engineering, 357-7349.
 
     William B. Cole to Acting Director, Division of Grants and
Contracts, 357-7880.
 
     Philip D. Harriman to Acting Director, Division of Molecular
Biosciences, 357-9400.
 
     Martin Pato to Program Director, Genetics Program, Division
of Molecular Biosciences, 357-9687.
 
     Huseyin Sehitoglu to Program Director, Mechanics and Materials
Program, Division of Mechanical and Structural Systems,
 
357-9542.
 
     John Weiner to Program Director, Atomic, Molecular, and
Optical Physics Program, Division of Physics, 357-7997.
 
     Peter E. Yankwich to Senior Staff Associate, Cross-Directorate
Programs, Directorate for Education and Human Resources,
357-9522.

 
 
November 1991 Publications Order Form
 
     Before ordering printed copies of brochures, please try NSF's
on-line publishing service called STIS, the Science and Technology
Information System~it's fast and it's free.  You can access
electronic copies of program announcements, the Guide to Programs,
Grants for Research and Education in Science and Engineering, the
Bulletin, the NSF Phone Book, and other NSF publications.
Abstracts of awards for the years 1989-1991 are also available.
To access the system, follow the instructions on the STIS flyer
(NSF 91-10).  To get an electronic copy of the flyer, send an E-
Mail message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisfly@NSF (BITNET).
If you cannot send electronic mail, use the form below to order a
printed copy.
 
    Single copies (printed) of the following publications are
available by checking appropriate boxes.  This Order Form and
requests for other publications should be sent to Forms and
Publications Unit, Room 232, National Science Foundation, 1800 G
St., N.W., Wash., DC 20550.
 
     Printed publications may also be ordered by FAX (703/644-
4278) or electronically via E-Mail.  Send E-Mail requests to
[email-masked] (Internet) or pubs@NSF (BITNET).  Requests must
include the NSF publication number and title, number of copies
needed, your name, and a complete mailing address.
 
     Publications will be mailed within two days of receipt of
request.
 
Check:
 
NSF 86-53.     NSF-ICOT Visitors Program -- (Japan).
NSF 89-2.      NSF Grants and Awards, FY 1988.*
NSF 89-85.     Small Grants for Exploratory Research (SGER).
               (Brochure)
NSF 89-100.    U.S.-U.S.S.R. Cooperation in Field of Basic
               Scientific Research.
NSF 90-1.      NSF Annual Report, FY 1989.
NSF 90-2.      NSF Grants and Awards, FY 1989.*
NSF 91-80.     Guide to Programs, FY 1992.
NSF 90-33.     NACSIS:  NSF Gateway to Japan's University-Based
               National Science Information System.
NSF 90-58.     NSF's Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
               Program:  An Assessment of the First Three Years.
NSF 90-77.     Grants for Research and Education in Science and
               Engineering.
NSF 90-108.    Precollege Science and Mathematics Education.  A
               chapter reprinted from Science and Engineering
               Indicators--1989.
NSF 90-144.     Japan Program Announcement.
NSF 90-149.    Research on Key Issues in Science and Engineering
               Education.
NSF 90-121.    Research Planning Grants and Career Advancement
               Awards for Women Scientists and Engineers.
NSF 90-150.    NSF's Presidential Young Investigators Program:  A
               Study of the First Two "Classes."
NSF 90-301.    Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering.
 
NSF 91-1.     NSF Annual Report, FY 1990.
NSF 91-2.     NSF Grants and Awards, FY 1990.*
NSF 91-3.     Western European Program Announcement.
NSF 91-10.     STIS Flyer.
NSF 91-38.     About the National Science Foundation. (Flyer)
NSF 91-48.     The Alan T. Waterman Award.
NSF 91-61.     Publications of the National Science Foundation.
NSF 91-87.     Visiting Professorships for Women.
NSF 91-109.     Studies in Science, Technology, and Society.

 
NSB 89-1.      Science and Engineering Indicators -- 1989.
NSB 89-2.      The State of U.S. Science & Engineering -- Statement
               Accompanying Science and Engineering Indicators -
               - 1989.
 
*Number of grants and dollar totals only, listed by state, NSF
directorate, and NSF division (no details on PI's, grant titles,
etc.).
 
Name________________________________
 
Address_____________________________
 
       ____________________________

 
..stis file is bul9111
..expires February 1992
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or info@NSF (BITNET).
The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in the *text*
of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).