Subject: NSF Bulletin l2/0l/91 Issue
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 91 15:46 EST

Hi Paul,
   This is the last for today.  Please post to the NIH LIstserver as:
     NSFBULLETIN.911201
Other Folks,
    I wish all of you a very nice weekend.  Special thanks and wishes
to Paul for all of his good work.
                                 Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF bulletin, December 1991
Type        : Bulletin
NSF Contact : OLPA
Date        : November 15, 1991

December 1991
NSF Bulletin
Volume 19, No. 4
ISSN 0145-0670
 
P.T. 34,22,28,25,42,26,04,48,II,FF,DD
K.W. 1000000,0600000,0400000,1007000,
1004000,1010000,0504000,0505000

NSF Announcements
for December 1991
 
     The NSF Bulletin provides monthly news about NSF programs,
deadline dates, publications, meetings, and sources for more
information.  Telephone numbers are given in parentheses; all
numbers are the Washington, DC, area code 202, unless otherwise
indicated.  Hearing impaired individuals should call TDD 357-7492.

Joint Mathematical Sciences Meeting
 
     The Joint American Mathematical Society-Mathematical
Association of America Meeting will be held Jan. 8 through 11,
1992, in Baltimore, MD.  An NSF information booth and
representative will be present.  NSF contact:  Dr. Judith Sunley,
357-9669.
 
Alan T. Waterman Award Nominations
 
     The deadline for receipt of nominations for the 17th Alan T.
Waterman Award is Dec. 31, 1991.  The Award, presented annually to
an outstanding young scientist, mathematician, or engineer, will
be announced and presented in April 1992.  For further information
and/or a copy of the guidelines for submission, contact Mrs. Susan
Fannoney, National Science Board (357-7512).
 
Global Dimensions of Intellectual Property Rights in S&T
 
     A major conference on "The Global Dimensions of Intellectual
Property Rights in Science and Technology" will be held at the
National Academy of Sciences, in Wash., D.C., on Jan. 8 and 9,
1992.  The conference will examine policy issues at the interface
of science and technology (S&T) and intellectual property rights-
-issues that are becoming increasingly important in an era of rapid
change in S&T, international trade, and competitiveness.  The
conference, which has NSF support, will be of interest to
professionals and practitioners in fields of science, engineering,
intellectual property, economics, law, international relations,
technology transfer, and development.
 
     For further information, please call Carole Ganz, Division of
International Programs (653-5362).  Those interested in attending
the conference should call Robin Schoen at the National Academy of
Sciences (334-2236).

Mathematical Sciences Research
 
     Proposals for research in the Mathematical Sciences should be
submitted six to nine months prior to the expected start date to
ensure timely notification of outcome.  The Division of
Mathematical Sciences will accept such proposals at any time of
the year.  Programs and staff are indicated below:

Algebra and Number Theory--Dr. Ann Boyle or Dr. Gary Cornell (357-
3695);
 
Applied Mathematics--Dr. Jerrold Bebernes, Dr. Rouben Rostamian,
or Dr. Michael Steuerwalt (357-3686);
 
Classical Analysis--Dr. John Ryff (357-3455);
 
Computational Mathematics--Dr. Alvin Thaler or Dr. Michael
Steuerwalt (357-3691);
 
Geometric Analysis--Dr. Robert Molzon (357-3451);
 
Modern Analysis--Dr. Joe Jenkins (357-3697);
 
Special Projects--Dr. Deborah Lockhart, Dr. Peter Arzberger, or Dr.
Bernard McDonald (357-3453);
 
Statistics and Probability--Dr. Keith Crank or Dr. Nell Sedransk
(357-3693);
Topology and Foundations--Dr. Ralph Krause (357-3457).
 
     Program officers may be contacted via Internet by appending
@note.nsf.gov after the first initial and last name (for example,
[email-masked]), or via BITNET by appending @nsf.
 
=====================================
 
The Foundation provides awards for research in the sciences and
engineering.  The awardee is wholly responsible for the conduct of
such research and preparation of the results for publication.  The
Foundation, therefore, does not assume responsibility for such
findings or their interpretation.
 
     The Foundation welcomes proposals on behalf of all qualified
scientists and engineers, and strongly encourages women,
minorities, and persons with disabilities to compete fully in any
of the research and related programs described here.
 
     In accordance with federal statutes and regulations and NSF
policies, no person on grounds of race, color, age, sex, national
origin, or disability shall be excluded from participation in,
denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any
program or activity receiving financial assistance from the
National Science Foundation.
 
     Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers with
Disabilities provides funding for special assistance or equipment
to enable persons with disabilities (investigators and other staff,
including student research assistants) to work on an NSF project.
Contact the Directorate for Education and Human Resources for
further information about the program.
 
     The National Science Foundation has TDD (Telephonic Device for
the Deaf) capability, which enables individuals with hearing
impairment to communicate with the Division of Personnel and
Management about NSF programs, employment, or general information.
This number is (202) 357-7492.
 
=======================================

Program Deadlines and Target Dates for Proposals
 
     The following listing gives key dates on which grant proposals
are due at NSF for the next three months.  The dates listed are
subject to change.  Further information is available from the NSF
staff members listed for each entry.  Brochures indicated in
parentheses may be requested on the Publications Order Form, unless
otherwise indicated.  The number and letter codes after some
announcements refer to listings in the publication Keyword
Thesaurus.  They are used by the research management offices of
colleges and universities to target NSF Bulletin information to
potential users.

Program Deadlines:  Unless otherwise stated in announcements or
solicitations, proposals postmarked after these cutoff dates
generally will be returned to the proposer.
 
Target Dates:  Unless otherwise stated in announcements or
solicitations, proposals postmarked after these cutoff dates will
be reviewed, although they may miss a particular panel meeting.
 
                            * * * * *
 
     NSF programs not listed under "program deadlines" and "target
dates" will accept proposals at any time of the year.  It takes
approximately six months to process a proposal.
                            * * * * *
 
BBS  Biological, Behavioral, and Social Sciences
                           *CFDA #47.051
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
December 1, 1991--
 
     Geography and Regional Science.  Doctoral Dissertation
Improvement Awards.  (Brochure NSF 89-32.)  Dr. Brian Holly,
Division of Social and Economic Science (357-7326).  [P.T.34,40;
K.W.04000000,04080000,1007001,0785110.]

December 15, 1991--
 
     Biological Field Stations and Marine Laboratories.  (Brochure
NSF 91-8.)  Dr. John Wooley, Division of Instrumentation and
Resources (357-7652).  [P.T.18,34; K.W.1002000,1008000,1008005.]
 
February 1, 1992--
 
     Doctoral Dissertation Research in Biotic Systems and
Resources.  (Brochure NSF 89-32.)  Mrs. Elizabeth Behrens, Division
of Biotic Systems and Resources (357-9596).  [P.T.34,40;
K.W.1002000,0400000,0408000,1007001,0785110.]
 
TARGET DATES:
 
December 1, 1991--
 
     Archaeology.  (Brochure NSF 88-93.)  Dr. John Yellen, Division
of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7804).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0401002.]
 
     Biochemistry.  (Brochure NSF 89-75.)  Dr. Marcia Steinberg or
Dr. Todd Martensen, Division of Molecular Biosciences (357-7945).
[P.T.34; K.W.1003002,1002008.]
 
     Biophysics.  (Brochure NSF 89-75.)  Dr. Arthur Kowalsky or Dr.
Kamal Shukla, Division of Molecular Biosciences (357-7777).
[P.T.34; K.W.1013004,1002008.]
 
  Cell Biology.  (Brochure NSF 90-128.)  Dr. Eve Barak, Dr. Stephen
Wolniak, or Dr. Eleanor McGowan, Division of Cellular Biosciences
(357-7474).  [P.T.34; K.W.1003002.]
 
     Cellular Biochemistry.  (Brochure NSF 90-128.)  Dr. Robert
Burchard or Dr. Ernest Uribe, Division of Cellular Biosciences
(357-7987).  [P.T.34; K.W.1003002.]
 
     Cultural Anthropology.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Stuart
Plattner, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7804).
[P.T.34; K.W.0401001.]
 
  Developmental Biology.  (Brochure NSF 90-128.) Dr. Thomas Brady
or Dr. Judith Plesset, Division of Cellular Biosciences (357-
7989).  [P.T.34; K.W.1003002.]
 
     Genetics.  (Brochure NSF 89-75.)  Dr. S. Porter-Ridley-Synder
(357-0112) or Dr. Martin Pato (357-9687), Division of Molecular
Biosciences.  [P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
     Physical Anthropology.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Mark Weiss,
Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7804).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0401002.]
 
     Physiological Processes.  (Brochure NSF 90-128.)  Dr. Donald
Jackson, Dr. Elvira Doman, or Dr. Barbara Zain, Division of
Cellular Biosciences (357-7975).  [P.T.34; K.W.1003002.]
 
December 15, 1991--
 
  Ecology.  (Brochure NSF 86-20.)  Dr. Laurel Fox or Dr. Joann
Roskoski, Division of Biotic Systems and Resources (357-9734).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002016.]
 
  Ecosystem Studies.  (Brochure NSF 86-20.)   Dr. James Reynolds
or Dr. James Callahan, Division of Biotic Systems and Resources
(357-9596).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002016.]
 
  Population Biology and Physiological Ecology.  (Brochure NSF 86-
20.)  Dr. Carol Lynch, Dr. Grace Wyngaard, or Dr. Theodore Garland,
Jr., Division of Biotic Systems and Resources (357-9728).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0413004.]
 
  Systematic Biology.  (Brochure NSF 86-20.)  Dr. Terry Yates, Dr.
James Estes, or Dr. James Rodman, Division of Biotic Systems and
Resources (357-9588).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002011.]
 
January 1, 1992--
 
  Systematic Anthropological Collections.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)
Dr. John Yellen, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-
7804).  [P.T.34; K.W.0401001.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     Animal Behavior.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Fred Stollnitz,
Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7949).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0201009.]
 
     Behavioral Neuroendocrinology.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr.
Kathie Olsen, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-
7040). [P.T.34; K.W.1002030.]
 
     Cellular Neuroscience.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Edward
Lieberman, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7471).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002030.]
 
  Decision, Risk, and Management Science.  (Brochure NSF 89-121.)
Dr. Robert Bordley (357-7569) or Dr. John Castellan (357-7417),
Division of Social and Economic Science.  [P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]

  Developmental Neuroscience.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Martha
Bohn, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7042).
[P.T.34; K.W.0414012.]
 
     Economics.  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. Daniel Newlon, Dr. Lynn
Pollnow, or Dr. Vincy Fon, Division of Social and Economic Science
(357-9674).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
  Geography and Regional Science.  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. Brian
Holly, Division of Social and Economic Science (357-7326). [P.T.34;
K.W.1002008.]
 
     Human Cognition and Perception.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr.
Joseph Young, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-
9898).
[P.T.34; K.W.0414017.]
 
     Instrumentation Facilities for the Biological and Behavioral
Sciences.  (Brochure NSF 88-105.)  Dr. John Wooley, Division of
Instrumentation and Resources (357-7652).  [P.T.04,34;
K.W.1002000.]
 
  Law and Social Science.  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. Michael
Musheno, Division of Social and Economic Science (357-9567).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
     Linguistics.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Paul Chapin, Division
of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7696).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0409004.]
 
     Methodology, Measurement, and Statistics in the Social
Sciences (MMS).  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. James Blackman, Division
of Social and Economic Science. (357-7966).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
     Neural Mechanisms of Behavior.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr.
Judith Finkelstein, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences
(357-7040).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002020.]
 
     Cognitive, Computational, and Theoretical Neurobiology.
(Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Judith Finkelstein, Division of
Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7949).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002020.]
 
  Political Science.  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. Frank Scioli,
Division of Social and Economic Science (357-9406).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1002008.]
 
  Sensory Systems.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Katherine Fite,
Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-7428).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0414011.]
 
     Social Psychology.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Jean
Intermaggio, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-
9485). [P.T.34; K.W.0414014.]
 
  Sociology.  (Brochure NSF 89-9.)  Dr. Annemette Sorensen or Dr.
Sara Nerlove, Division of Social and Economic Science (357-7802).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
     Synaptic Mechanisms.  (Brochure NSF 88-62.)  Dr. Sanya
Springfield, Division of Behavioral and Neural Sciences (357-
7428).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002020.]
 
February 1, 1992--
 
  Studies in Science, Technology, and Society.  (Brochure NSF 91-
109.)  Dr. Rachelle Hollander or Dr. Ronald Overmann, Division of
Instrumentation and Resources (357-9894).  [P.T.34; K.W.0309008.]

CISE Computer and Information Science
          and Engineering
                                                     CFDA #47.070
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
December 1, 1991--
 
     Networking and Communications Research.
 (Brochure NSF 89-110.)  Dr. Aubrey Bush, Division of Networking
and Communications Research and Infrastructure Development (357-
9717).  [P.T.34; K.W.1004000,1004017,1004018.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     Research Initiation Awards.  (Brochure NSF 88-99.)  Program
for Brochure.)  Dr. Bernard Chern, Division of Microelectronic
Information Processing Systems (357-7373) or in the Engineering
Directorate, Office of Engineering Infrastructure Development (357-
5102).  [P.T.34; K.W.0605000,0607000,0608000.]
 
January 16, 1992--
 
     New Technologies Program.  (Contact Program for Brochure.)
Support for Postdoctoral Research Associateships in Computational
Science and Engineering.  Dr. Merrell Patrick, Division of Advanced
Scientific Computing (357-7727).  NETaddress:  [email-masked].
[P.T.34; K.W.1004003,1004000.]
 
TARGET DATES:
 
January 16, 1992--
 
     Support for Postdoctoral Research Associateships in
Computational Science and in Experimental Research.  (Contact
Program for Brochure.)  Dr. Merrell Patrick (357-7727) or Dr. John
Cherniavsky (357-7349), Division of Advanced Scientific Computing.
NETaddress:  [email-masked]. or [email-masked].  [P.T.34;
K.W.1004000.]

EHR     Education and Human Resources
                                  CFDA #47.009, 47.066-69, 47.071
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
December 1, 1991--
 
     Research Improvement in Minority Institutions (RIMI).
(Brochure NSF 89-7.)  Eligibility--Institutions that offer
engineering programs or graduate programs in science, and whose
total student body is more than 50 percent Black, Hispanic,
American Indian, Alaskan Native, or Native Pacific Islander, or 20
percent plus of any one eligible underrepresented minority group.
Investigator--any scientist/engineer at eligible institutions.  Dr.
Margaret Tolbert, Division of Human Resource Development (357-
7350).  [P.T.34;FF; K.W.1000000,0600000,0400000,1010000.]
 
December 2, 1991--
 
     Presidential Faculty Fellows.  (Brochure NSF 91-103.)  Ms.
Mary Sladek, Division of Research Career Development (357-9466).
[P.T.22; K.W.1000000,0600000.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     Career Advancement Awards (CAA).  (Brochure NSF 90-121.)
Eligibility requirements:  Experienced women who are eligible to
receive standard NSF research grants.  Because of the nature of
these awards, co-investigators would not be appropriate.  Contact
the disciplinary program officer or Dr. Peter Yankwich (357-7926).
[P.T.34;II; K.W.1000000,0600000,0400000.]
 
     Research Planning Grants (RPG).  (Brochure NSF 90-121.)
Eligibility requirements:  Women eligible for standard NSF awards
who have not previously served as principal or co-principal
investigators on an individual federal award or whose research
careers have been interrupted for at least two of the past five
years.  Because of the nature of these awards, co-investigator
would not be appropriate.  Contact the disciplinary program officer
or Dr. Peter Yankwich (357-7926).  [P.T.34;II;
K.W.1000000,0600000,0400000.]
 
     Career Access Opportunities in Science and Technology for
Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities.  (Contact Program
for Brochure.)  Comprehensive Regional Centers for Minorities;
Model Projects for Women, Minorities, and the Disabled.  Dr.
Costello Brown, Division of Human Resource Development (357-7461).
[P.T.04,42,25,14;DD;FF;II; K.W.0502023,0502031.]
 
February 1992--
 
     Curriculum Development in Mathematics--Calculus.  (Brochure
NSF 90-116.)  Dr. James Lightbourne, Division of Undergraduate
Science, Engineering, and Mathematics Education (357-7051).
[P.T.25;FF;DD;II; K.W.0600000,1000000,1010000,0502031,0502042.]
 
February 14, 1992--
 
     NSF Young Investigator Awards.  (Brochure NSF 91-112.)  Mary
Sladek, Division of Research Career Development (357-9466).
[P.T.34; K.W.1000000,0600000.]
 
TARGET DATES:
 
January 13, 1992--
 
  Research Careers for Minority Scholars (RCMS).  (Brochure NSF 90-
136.)  Program provides grants to all U.S. colleges and
universities to assist in the implementation of projects that will
contribute to the entry and retention of minority students in
science and engineering.  Dr. Roosevelt Johnson, Division of Human
Resource Development (357-5054).  [P.T.34;FF;
K.W.1000000,0600000,0400000,1010000.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     Applications for Advanced Technologies.  Preliminary proposals
required.  (Brochure NSF 88-29.)  Ms. Beverly Hunter, Division of
Materials Development, Research, and Informal Science Education
(357-7064).
[P.T.34; K.W.0502031,0503003,0503016.]
 
January 31, 1992--
 
     Alliances for Minority Participation (AMP).  Implementation
Proposals.  (Brochure NSF 90-44.)  Proposals designed to form
coalitions among the science and engineering community to increase
substantially minority graduates in science and engineering fields
supported by NSF.  Eligibility:  Research scientists, engineers,
educators, and administrators may submit for non-profit
organizations and/or academic institutions.  Dr. William McHenry
or Dr. Ana Guzman, Division of Research Initiation and Improvement
(357-7461).  [P.T.34;FF;
K.W.1000000,0600000,1010000,0502031,0502023,0502042.]
 
February 1, 1992--
 
  Informal Science Education.  Preliminary proposals required.
(Brochure NSF 88-29.)  Dr. Robert Russell, Dr. Hyman Field, or Dr.
Barbara Butler, Division of Materials Development, Research, and
Informal Science Education (357-7076).  [P.T.20,25;
K.W.0502031,0503003,0503016.]
 
     Teacher Enhancement.  (Brochure NSF 91-105.)  Dr. Mary Bahns
(357-7078), Dr. Julia Clark (357-7431), Dr. Larry Enochs (357-
7074), Dr. Alan Goodman (357-7431), Dr. David Schindel (357-7069),
Dr. Joseph Stewart (357-7074), or Dr. Marjorie Enneking (357-
7539).  [P.T.34; K.W.0502031,0502023.]
 
  Teacher Preparation.  (Brochure NSF 91-105.)  Dr. Miriam Leiva,
Division of Teacher Preparation and Enhancement (357-7069).
[P.T.34; K.W.0502036,0504000.]
 
February 15, 1992--
 
  Research in Teaching and Learning.  Preliminary proposals
required. (Brochure NSF 88-29.)  Dr. Raymond Hannapel or Ms.
Beverly Hunter, Division of Materials Development, Research, and
Informal Science Education (357-7071).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0502031,0503003,0503016.]

ENG  Engineering
                                                     CFDA #47.041
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     Research Initiation Awards (RIA).  (Contact Program for
Brochure.)  Sharon Middledorf, Division of Engineering
Infrastructure Development (786-9530) or Dr. Bernard Chern,
Computer and Information Science and Engineering Directorate (357-
7373).  [P.T.34; K.W.0605000,0607000,0608000.]
 
     State/Industry University Cooperative Research Centers.
(Brochure NSF 91-42.)  Dr. Tap Mukherjee, Division of Engineering
Centers (357-9707).  [P.T.04,34; K.W.1107000.]
 
February 1, 1992--
 
     Engineering Research Equipment Grants (REG).  (Brochure NSF
90-146.)  Sharon Middledorf, Division of Engineering Infrastructure
Development (786-9530).  [P.T. 18,34; K.W.0600000.]
 
February 15, 1992--
 
     Engineering Education Coalitions--Phase I Proposal.  Dr. Win
Aung, Division of Engineering Infrastructure Development (786-
9532).  [P.T.25; K.W.0502042.]

GEO  Geosciences
                                                     CFDA #47.050
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
December 1, 1991--
 
  Division of Earth Sciences.  Descriptions of Programs are
contained in "Earth Sciences Research and NSF," Brochure NSF 90-
20.  [P.T.34; K.W.1005000.]
 
     Geology and Paleontology.  Dr. John Maccini (357-7866) or Dr.
     Patricia Kelley (357-7806).
     Geophysics.  Dr. Michael Mayhew (357-7355) or Dr. James
     Whitcomb (357-7356).
     Instrumentation and Facilities.  Dr. Daniel Weill or Dr.
     Herman Roberson (357-7807).
     Petrology and Geochemistry.  Dr. John Snyder or Dr. Guy Hovis
     (357-7916).
     Tectonics Program.  Dr. Thomas Wright or Dr. Carol Simpson
     (357-7355).
 
TARGET DATES:
 
December 1, 1991--
 
  Geospace Environment Modelling--Division of Atmospheric Sciences.
(Contact Program for Brochure.)  Grants are for mapping boundary
processes through the magnetosphere to the dayside ionosphere.  Dr.
Timothy Eastman, Magnetospheric Physics Program (357-0040).
[P.T.34; K.W.1013018.]
 
January 1, 1992--
 
  Arctic Social Sciences.  (Brochure NSF 90-57.)  Dr. Noel
Broadbent, Division of Polar Programs (357-7817).  [P.T.34;
LOC.0014000.]
 
     Division of Atmospheric Sciences.  Research proposals that
require National Center for Atmospheric Research or university-
based national facilities for the period Oct. 1, 1992, through Apr.
1, 1993.  Dr. Stephen Nelson (357-9431) or Dr. Clifford Jacobs
(357-9695).  [P.T.34; K.W.1001010.]

MPS  Mathematical and Physical
          Sciences
                                                     CFDA #47.049
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
December 2, 1991--
 
  Scientific Computing Research Environments for the Mathematical
Sciences.  (Brochure NSF 91-113.)  Dr. Alvin Thaler, Office of
Special Projects, Division of Mathematical Sciences (357-3691).
[P.T.18,34; K.W.1010000.]

STIA      Scientific, Technological, and International Affairs
                                                     CFDA #47.053
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
December 15, 1991--
 
     Awards for Japanese-Language Study by Researchers in Science
and Engineering.  (Brochure NSF 90-144.)  Support for Japanese-
language study in the U.S. aimed at facilitating U.S.-Japan
cooperative research or developing the ability to read Japanese
technical literature.  [P.T.08,23,25,34;
K.W.0312034,0410001,0502021.]
 
January 15, 1992--
 
     U.S. Taiwan Cooperative Science Program.  Proposals for
cooperative research projects and joint workshop seminars.  Dr.
William Chang, Division of International Programs (653-5343).
[P.T.34; K.W.0112133.]
 
     Summer Institute in Japan.  (Brochure NSF 90-144.)  Up to 50
U.S. science and engineering graduate students will intern at
Japanese research labs and receive Japanese language training in
Tsukuba Science City, Japan, during the summer of 1992.
[P.T.34,48; K.W.0112070; Loc.0112070.]
 
TARGET DATES:
 
December 1, 1991--
 
     Long-term Research Opportunities in Japan.  (Brochure NSF 90-
144.)  U.S. researchers can visit Japanese government, university,
and industrial laboratories for six to 24 months. [P.T.34;
Loc.0112070; K.W.0112070.]

 
 
POSITIONS OPEN
 
     Applicants for the following positions should submit form SF-
171, Application for Federal Employment, and a Letter of
Recommendation (a resume, with current salary, may be submitted for
rotational/temporary assignment).  Send to NSF, Division of
Personnel and Management, Room 208, 1800 G Street, N.W., Wash., DC
20550, Attn:  Catherine Handle.  Hearing impaired individuals
should call:  TDD 357-7492.  NSF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
 
     These positions are excepted from the competitive civil
service and will be filled on a permanent, one- or two-year
rotational or temporary basis.  The type of appointment is
indicated in the job announcements.  For additional information
and/or to obtain the closing date for the announcement, call 357-
9681.
 
     The per annum salary is as follows:
 
     Program Director Level IV--$52,406 to $82,650
     Associate Program Director Level III--$44,348 to $69,863
     Assistant Program Director Level II--$31,116 to $57,650
 
                            * * * * *
 
Hotline Service
 
     NSF has a Vacancy Hotline listing all current vacancies.  The
Hotline number locally is 357-7735, outside the D.C. metropolitan
area call 1-800-628-1487.
 
                           * * * * *
 
o     NSF's Division of Atmospheric Sciences (GEO Directorate) is
seeking qualified Visiting Scientist candidates for Program
Director positions in the Aeronomy and Upper Atmospheric research
Section Programs.  The Division provides support for scientists
primarily from academic institutions to pursue fundamental research
in atmospheric sciences.  These positions will be filled on a one-
 or two-year rotational/temporary basis.  Each Program Director
will be responsible for program planning, research proposal
evaluation, administration of research grants, and liaison with
other federal agencies.  Applicants must have a Ph.D. or the
equivalent in aeronomy, physics, or other related field, plus six
or more years of specialized experience in aeronomy.  For technical
information about these positions, contact Dr. Richard Behnke,
Acting Section Head, Upper Atmospheric Research Section, 357-7618.
 
o     NSF's Division of Materials Research (MPS Directorate) is
seeking qualified applicants for positions under the Visiting
Scientist Program which periodically become available.  Incumbents
will be responsible for the planning, coordination, and management
of basic research activities primarily through federal grants and
contracts to academic institutions and nonprofit, nonacademic
research institutions.  Applicants must have a Ph.D. in physics,
chemistry, engineering, or other related field.  A broad general
knowledge of the field and some administrative experience are
required.  For technical information about the positions, contact
Dr. Jagdish (Jay) Narayan, Division Director, or Dr. Adriaan de
Graff, Deputy Division Director, Division of Materials Research,
357-9794.
 
o     NSF's Division of Mathematical Sciences (MPS Directorate) is
seeking qualified applicants for positions which periodically
become available.  Incumbents will be responsible for the planning,
coordination, and management of basic research activities primarily
through federal grants and contracts to academic institutions and
non-profit, non-academic research institutions.  Applicants must
have a Ph.D. in mathematics, a broad, general knowledge of the
field, and some administrative experience.  For technical
information about the positions, contact Dr. Judith Sunley,
Division Director, Division of Mathematical Sciences, 357-9669.
 
o     NSF's Division of Physics (MPS Directorate) is seeking
qualified Visiting Scientist candidates for Program Director
positions in several programs including Elementary Particle
Physics; Nuclear Physics; Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics;
Gravitational Physics; and Theoretical Physics.  These positions
will be filled on a one- or two-year rotational/temporary basis.
Each Program Director will work with a permanent Program Director
and will be responsible for program planning, research proposal
evaluation, administration of research grants, and liaison with
other federal agencies.  Applicants must have a Ph.D. in physics,
plus six or more years of successful experience in research and
education.  A record of strong research accomplishments in one of
the above program areas  and broad knowledge of the relevant U.S.
research community are key qualifications.  Inquiries and questions
of a technical nature regarding these positions may be directed to
Dr. Marcel Bardon, Director, Division of Physics, 357-7985.

 
 
Staff Changes
 
     William H. Kelly to Program Director, Course and Curriculum
Program, Division of Undergraduate Science, Engineering, and
Mathematics Education, 357-7051.
 
December 1991 Publications Order Form
 
     Before ordering printed copies of brochures, please try NSF's
on-line publishing service called STIS, the Science and Technology
Information System~it's fast and it's free.  You can access
electronic copies of program announcements, the Guide to Programs,
Grants for Research and Education in Science and Engineering, the
Bulletin, the NSF Phone Book, and other NSF publications.
Abstracts of awards for the years 1989 through 1991 are also
available.  To access the system, follow the instructions on the
STIS flyer (NSF 91-10).  To get an electronic copy of the flyer,
send an E-Mail message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisfly@NSF
(BITNET).  If you cannot send electronic mail, use the form below
to order a printed copy.
 
     Single copies (printed) of the following publications are
available by checking appropriate boxes.  This Order Form and
requests for other publications should be sent to Forms and
Publications Unit, Room 232, National Science Foundation, 1800 G
St., N.W., Wash., DC 20550.
 
     Printed publications may also be ordered by FAX (703/644-
4278) or electronically via E-Mail.  Send E-Mail requests to
[email-masked] (Internet) or pubs@NSF (BITNET).  Requests must
include the NSF publication number and title, number of copies
needed, your name, and a complete mailing address.
 
     Publications will be mailed within two days of receipt of
request.
 
Check:
 
NSF 86-53.     NSF-ICOT Visitors Program -- (Japan).
 
NSF 89-2.      NSF Grants and Awards, FY 1988.*
 
NSF 89-85.     Small Grants for Exploratory Research (SGER).
              (Brochure)
 
NSF 89-100.    U.S.-U.S.S.R. Cooperation in Field of Basic
               Scientific Research.
 
NSF 90-1.     NSF Annual Report, FY 1989.
 
NSF 90-2.     NSF Grants and Awards, FY 1989.*
 
NSF 90-33.    NACSIS:  NSF Gateway to Japan's University-Based
              National Science Information System.
 
NSF 90-58.     NSF's Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
               Program:  An Assessment of the First Three Years.
 
NSF 90-77.     Grants for Research and Education in Science and
               Engineering.
 
NSF 90-108.     Precollege Science and Mathematics Education.  A
                chapter reprinted from Science and Engineering
                Indicators--1989.
 
NSF 90-121.     Research Planning Grants and Career Advancement
                Awards for Women Scientists and Engineers.
 
NSF 90-144.     Japan Program Announcement.
 
NSF 90-149.     Research on Key Issues in Science and Engineering
                Education.
 
NSF 90-150.     NSF's Presidential Young Investigators Program:
                A Study of the First Two "Classes."
 
NSF 90-301.     Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering.
 
NSF 91-1.     NSF Annual Report, FY 1990.
 
NSF 91-2.     NSF Grants and Awards, FY 1990.*
 
NSF 91-3.     Western European Program Announcement.
 
NSF 91-10.     STIS Flier.
 
NSF 91-38.     About the National Science Foundation. (Flier)
 
NSF 91-45.     Computer and Computation Research, FY 89. (Summary
               of Awards)
 
NSF 91-48.     The Alan T. Waterman Award.
 
NSF 91-61.     Publications of the National Science Foundation.
 
NSF 91-75.     Materials Synthesis and Processing: Research at the
               Interface of Materials Research, Engineering,
               Chemistry, and Biology.
 
NSF 91-80.     Guide to Programs, FY 1992.
 
NSF 91-87.     Visiting Professorships for Women.
 
NSF 91-100.     Industrial Materials for Secondary School
               Mathematics.  (Solicitation)
 
NSF 91-103.     Presidential Faculty Fellows.
 
NSF 91-105.     Teacher Preparation and Enhancement.  (Program
                Announcement and Guidelines.)
 
NSF 91-109.     Studies in Science, Technology, and Society.
 
NSF 91-112.     NSF Young Investigator Awards.  (Guidelines for FY
                1992.)
 
NSF 91-113.     Scientific Computing Research Environments for the
                Mathematical Sciences. (Program Announcement)

 
 
NSB 89-1.     Science and Engineering Indicators -- 1989.
 
NSB 89-2.     The State of U.S. Science & Engineering -- Statement
              Accompanying Science and Engineering Indicators -
              - 1989.
 
*Number of grants and dollar totals only, listed by state, NSF
directorate, and NSF division (no details on PI's, grant titles,
etc.).
 
Name________________________________
 
Address_____________________________
 
       ____________________________

 
..stis file is bul9112
..expires July 1992
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).