Subject: (Copy) April Bulletin Part 1
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 92 10:10 EST

Hi Again,
   The April NSF Bulletin has arrived.  It is in two parts this month.
  Please post this as:
     NSFBULLETIN.920401
                       Thanks
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------

April 1992
NSF Bulletin
Volume 19, No. 8
ISSN 0145-0670
 
P.T. 04,18,22,25,26,34,42,48;FF,DD,II
K.W. 0112000,0400000,0408000,0500000,0600000,
          1000000,1001000,1002000,1004000,1005000,
          1008003,1010000,1013000

NSF Announcements
for April 1992
 
     The NSF Bulletin provides monthly news about NSF programs,
deadline dates, publications, meetings, and sources for more
information.  Telephone numbers are given in parentheses; all
numbers are the Washington, DC, area code 202, unless otherwise
indicated.  Hearing impaired individuals should call TDD 357-7492.
 
Directorate for Biological Sciences
 
     As a result of reorganization, the Directorate for Biological,
Behavioral, and Social Sciences was disestablished and the
Directorates for Biological Sciences (BIO) and Social, Behavioral,
and Economic Sciences (SBE) were established.  Following is a brief
description of the restructuring of the divisions within the BIO
Directorate:
 
Molecular and Cellular Biosciences (MCB) includes the biophysics,
biochemistry and genetics programs from the former Molecular
Biosciences Division and the Cell Biology program and some of the
Cellular Biochemistry program of the former Cellular Biosciences
Division.  Three new program clusters were established:
Biochemistry and Molecular Structure and Function, Cell Biology,
and Genetics and Nucleic Acids.  Research supported by MCB
increases fundamental understanding of the chemical, physical,
genetic, and cellular processes underlying biological phenomena.
 
Integrative Biology and Neuroscience (IBN) includes the
developmental biology and physiological processes programs from the
former Cellular Biosciences Division, the Neuroscience and
Biological Basis of Behavior programs from the former Behavioral
and Neural Sciences Division, and Physiological Ecology program
from the former Biotic Systems and Resources Division.  Three new
program clusters were established:  Physiology and Behavior,
Neuroscience, and Developmental Biology.  Research supported by IBN
emphasizes the integration of molecular, subcellular, and cellular
biology approaches to better understand the development, function,
and behavior of organisms in both laboratory and natural settings.
 
Environmental Biology (DEB) includes Ecology, Systematic Biology,
Population Biology, and Ecosystems Studies of the former Division
of Biotic Systems and Resources.  Three new program clusters were
established:  Systematic and Population Biology, Ecological
Studies, and Long-Term Projects in Environmental Biology.  The
research supported by DEB advances scientific understanding of the
factors governing the interrelationships of environmental biology
from individual organisms to complex ecological systems.
 
Biological Instrumentation and Resources (BIR) includes the
Instrumentation and Instrument Development and Special Projects
Programs from the former Division of Instrumentation and Resources.
These two program names were unchanged.  BIR funds most of the
major infrastructure within the BIO Directorate.
 
Science and Engineering Indicators--1991
 
     The National Science Board biennial publication Science and
Engineering Indicators--1991 (Volume 10) has recently been
released.  The series is designed to provide decisionmakers in
government, industry, and the academic world with a broad base of
data about U.S. science and technology.  The report includes
indicators of the health of U.S. and international science and
engineering in research and development, education, employment,
expenditures, technological innovation, personnel, and public
attitudes.  Copies are available for $29.00 from the Superintendent
of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
20402.  Request stock number 038-000-00587-1.
 
Numerical Weather Prediction Joint Program
 
     NSF's Division of Atmospheric Sciences and NOAA's National
Meteorological Center sponsor a joint program for research in
short, medium, and extended range numerical weather prediction.
The program provides university scientists with an opportunity to
pursue basic research problems that require access to an
operational forecast model or operational products and are of
interest in an operational forecast environment. Proposals are
sought for projects involving:
o    global atmospheric and coupled ocean-atmosphere modeling
o    mesoscale and non-hydrostatic modeling
o    four-dimensional data assimilation
o    use of data from satellite and new observing systems for
     analysis and model initialization
o    computational techniques appropriate for massively parallel
     processors
     Preliminary proposals are required.  Formal proposals are due
by July 31, 1992.  For information and guidelines, contact Ms.
Pamela Stevens, Division of Atmospheric Sciences, 357-9887.
 
Lobbying Restrictions Certification
 
     Lobbying Certificates are required to be submitted with
proposals for federal contracts, grants, or cooperative agreements
exceeding $100,000.  NSF Grant Policy Manual Transmittal Memorandum
No. 2 (dated Feb. 20, 1990) and the NSF publication Grants for
Research and Education in Science and Engineering (GRESE) (August
1990) issued guidance for submitting these certificates.
Generally, the guidance stipulates that no appropriated funds are
to be expended to pay any person for influencing or attempting to
influence an agency or Member of Congress in connection with a
specific award.  It also requires the disclosure of certain
information if the recipient has used or intends to use non-
appropriated funds for such purpose.
     The Division of Grants and Contracts is concerned that a
significant number of certificates have been faxed to the
Foundation, at the time of award, in lieu of being attached to the
proposal cover sheet as required by the GRESE.  The amount of time
devoted to obtaining the certificates at the time of award has
become substantial.
     To avoid processing delays, grantee institutions are reminded
to submit Lobbying Certificates and Disclosure Statements as a part
of the proposal.
     For further information or clarification, contact the Division
of Grants and Contracts at 357-7880.

NSF TO SEND AWARD LETTERS ELECTRONICALLY
 
NSF's Division of Grants & Contracts in conjunction with the
Division of Information Systems has been conducting a demonstration
project in which the Foundation's award letters are forwarded to 9
grantees via electronic mail.   The Universities involved are:
University of Illinois, Urbana; Florida State University;
University of Alabama; North Carolina A&T State University;
University of Houston; Colorado State University; Stanford
University; University of California, Berkley; and the University
of Nevada, Las Vegas.  We are now ready to expand the process to
other grantees.  We expect this method of award notification to
become the standard agency practice.   Grantees are responsible for
internal distribution of award documents.   (Budgets are also sent
electronically with the award letter when changed by NSF from the
grantee's proposed budget.)  The PI's copy of the proposal reviews
will continue to be sent through regular mail.  Interested grantees
should submit their e-mail addresses and any questions to John
Grzechowiak atto [email-masked].
**********
 
Laboratory Opens in Antarctica
 
     A new $23 million research laboratory was dedicated on Nov. 5,
1991, at McMurdo, Antarctica, hub of the NSF-managed U.S. Antarctic
Program.
     Totaling 46,500 square feet of working area, the lab's 5 pods
are being constructed in 3 phases .  Phase I, now in operation,
houses a two-story computer-conference pod and a biology pod.
Phase II will house an earth sciences pod and an atmospheric
sciences pod.  Phase III will have an aquarium and a dive locker.
Full operation of phase II is to begin November 1992; phase III,
January 1993.
     The lab supports funded investigators by providing computing
and information resources, laboratory space, analytical
instrumentation, and staging areas for a range of scientific
disciplines.  It replaces science buildings that date to 1959.
     The laboratory is named the Albert P. Crary Science and
Engineering Center in honor of geophysicist and glaciologist Albert
P. Crary.
 
New Research Program in Hydrologic Sciences
 
     NSF's Directorate for Geosciences' Division of Earth Sciences
plans to introduce a new basic research program in hydrologic
sciences for fiscal year 1993.  The program will provide funding
for basic research dealing with the Earth's hydrologic cycle and
the role of water on and near the continental surfaces of the
Earth.  A program announcement will be released later this year
giving procedures for proposal submission, deadline dates, and
other details.
     For further information contact NSF's Division of Earth
Sciences by mail, phone 202/357-7958, or FAX 202/357-0364.
 
=====================================
     The Foundation provides awards for research in the sciences
and engineering.  The awardee is wholly responsible for the conduct
of such research and preparation of the results for publication.
The Foundation, therefore, does not assume responsibility for such
findings or their interpretation.
     The Foundation welcomes proposals on behalf of all qualified
scientists and engineers, and strongly encourages women,
minorities, and persons with disabilities to compete fully in any
of the research and related programs described here.
     In accordance with federal statutes and regulations and NSF
policies, no person on grounds of race, color, age, sex, national
origin, or disability shall be excluded from participation in,
denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any
program or activity receiving financial assistance from the
National Science Foundation.
     Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers with
Disabilities provides funding for special assistance or equipment
to enable persons with disabilities (investigators and other staff,
including student research assistants) to work on an NSF project.
Contact the Directorate for Education and Human Resources for
further information about the program.
     The National Science Foundation has TDD (Telephonic Device for
the Deaf) capability, which enables individuals with hearing
impairment to communicate with the Division of Personnel and
Management about NSF programs, employment, or general information.
This number is 357-7492.
=======================================
 
Program Deadlines and Target Dates for Proposals
 
     The following listing gives key dates on which grant proposals
are due at NSF for the next three months.  The dates listed are
subject to change.  Further information is available from the NSF
staff members listed for each entry.  Brochures indicated in
parentheses may be requested on the Publications Order Form, unless
otherwise indicated.  The number and letter codes after some
announcements refer to listings in the publication Keyword
Thesaurus.  They are used by the research management offices of
colleges and universities to target NSF Bulletin information to
potential users.

Program Deadlines:  Unless otherwise stated in announcements or
solicitations, proposals postmarked after these cutoff dates
generally will be returned to the proposer.
 
Target Dates:  Unless otherwise stated in announcements or
solicitations, proposals postmarked after these cutoff dates will
be reviewed, although they may miss a particular panel meeting.
 
NSF programs not listed under "program deadlines" and "target
dates" will accept proposals at any time of the year.  It takes
approximately six months to process a proposal.
 
BIO  Biological Sciences
                           *CFDA #47.074
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
April 1, 1992--
 
     Minority Graduate Student Travel Award.  (Brochure NSF 91-
118.)  Dr. Thomas Quarles, Division of Biological Instrumentation
and Resources (357-9880).  [P.T.22,34; FF; K.W.1002000,0400000.]

TARGET DATES:
 
May 1, 1992--
 
     Instrumentation and Instrument Development.  (Brochure NSF 89-
119.)  Dr. Michael Lamvik, Division of Biological Instrumentation
and Resources (357-7652).  [P.T.18,34;
K.W.1002004,1002008,1002034.]
 
June 1, 1992--
 
     Animal Development.  Dr. Judith Plesset, Division of
Integrative Biology and Neuroscience (357-7989).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1002052.]
 
     Animal Systems Physiology.  Dr. Barbara Zain, Division of
Integrative Biology and Neuroscience (357-7975).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0201018.]
 
  Biochemistry.  (Brochure NSF 89-75.)  Dr. Marcia Steinberg, Dr.
Robert Burchard, or Dr. Todd Martensen, Division of Molecular and
Cellular Biosciences (357-7945).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
  Biophysics.  (Brochure NSF 89-75.)  Dr. Arthur Kowalsky or Dr.
Kamal Shukla, Division of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences (357-
7777).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
  Cell Biology.  (Brochure NSF 90-128.)  Dr. Eve Barak, Dr. Stephen
Wolniak, or Dr. Eleanor McGowan, Division of Molecular and Cellular
Biosciences (357-7474).  [P.T.34; K.W.1003002.]
 
     Endocrinology.  Dr. Elvira Doman, Division of Integrative
Biology and Neuroscience (357-7975).  [P.T.34; K.W.0785050.]
 
     Functional and Physiological Ecology.  Dr. Donald Jackson,
Division of Integrative Biology and Neuroscience (357-7975).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002016.]
 
  Genetics.  (Brochure NSF 89-75.)  Dr. DeLill Nasser (357-0112) or
Dr. Phillip Harriman (357-9687), Division of Molecular and Cellular
Biosciences.  [P.T.34; K.W.1002008.]
 
     Integrative Plant Biology.  Dr. Ernest Uribe, Division of
Integrative Biology and Neuroscience (357-7975).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1002040.]
 
     Plant and Microbial Development.  Dr. Thomas Brady, Division
of Integrative Biology and Neuroscience (357-7989).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1002040.]
 
June 15, 1992--
 
  Ecology.  (Brochure NSF 86-20.)  Dr. Laurel Fox or Dr. Joann
Roskoski, Division of Environmental Biology (357-9734).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1002016.]
 
  Ecosystem Studies.  (Brochure NSF 86-20.)  Dr. James Reynolds or
Dr. James Callahan, Division of Environmental Biology (357-9596).
[P.T.34; K.W.1002016.]
 
  Population Biology.  (Brochure NSF 86-20.)  Dr. Conrad Istock,
Dr. Grace Wyngaard, or Dr. Theodore Garland, Jr., Division of
Environmental Biology (357-9728).  [P.T.34; K.W.0413004.]
 
  Systematic Biology.  (Brochure NSF 86-20.)  Dr. Terry Yates, Dr.
James Estes, or Dr. James Rodman, Division of Environmental Biology
(357-9588).  [P.T.34; K.W.1002011.]

- ----------
*CFDA = Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, issued annually by
the Office of Management and Budget and available from the
Government Printing Office (783-3238).

 
CISE   Computer and Information Science
       and Engineering
                                                     CFDA #47.070

PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
April 8, 1992--
 
  CISE Institutional Infrastructure Program--Minority Institutions
(II-MI) Continuing Grants.  (Brochure NSF 91-7.)  Dr. Gerald Engel,
Office of Cross-Disciplinary Activities (357-7349).  NETaddress:
[email-masked].  [P.T.34;FF; K.W.1004000.]
 
  CISE Institutional Infrastructure Program--Minority Institutions
(II-MI) Planning Grants.  (Brochure NSF 91-7.)  Dr. Gerald Engel,
Office of Cross-Disciplinary Activities (357-7349).  NETaddress:
[email-masked].  [P.T.34;FF; K.W.1004000.]
 
April 22, 1992--
 
  CISE Institutional Infrastructure Program-Small Scale.  (Brochure
NSF 91-13.)  Dr. John Cherniavsky, Office of Cross-Disciplinary
Activities (357-7349).  NETaddress:  [email-masked].
[P.T.36,34,18;FF; K.W.1004000.]
 
May 1, 1992--
 
  Networking and Communications Research. (Brochure NSF 89-110.)
Dr. Aubrey Bush, Division of Networking and Communications Research
and Infrastructure Development (357-9717).  [P.T.34;
K.W.1004000,1004017,1004018.]
 
May 15, 1992--
 
  Research on Scientific Databases.  Letter of Intent.  (Contact
Program for Brochure.)  Supporting interdisciplinary research
efforts in scientific databases.  Dr. Maria Zemankova, Division of
Information, Robotics, and Intelligent Systems (357-9570).
NETaddress:  [email-masked].  [P.T.34; K.W.1004000.]
 
May 18, 1992--
 
  Network Information Services Manager(s) for NSFNET and the NREN
Project Solicitation.  (Brochure NSF 92-24.)  Dr. George Strawn,
Division of Networking and Communications Research and
Infrastructure (357-9717).  Internet:  [email-masked].
[P.T.04,16,36,38; K.W.1004000,1004001,0607070.]

 
EHR    Education and Human Resources
 
CFDA #47.009, 47.066-69, 47.071, 47.072

PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
April 1, 1992--
 
  Leadership Projects in Science and the Humanities.  Undergraduate
Course and Curriculum Development Program.  (Brochure NSF 91-50.)
Proposals for the development of undergraduate courses and
curricula that link meaningfully the study of science and the
humanities.  Formal proposals must be preceded by a brief
description of the plan to a Program Officer, Division of
Undergraduate Science, Engineering, and Mathematics Education (357-
7292).  [P.T.25; K.W.0502031,0502023,0502042.]
 
May 1992--
 
  Graduate Research Traineeship Program.  (Contact Program for
Brochure and Program Deadline Date.)  Dr. Roosevelt Johnson,
Division of Research Career Development (357-7536).  [P.T.34,44;
K.W.0500000.]

May 1, 1992--
 
  Undergraduate Faculty Enhancement Program.  (Brochure NSF 91-
131.)  Dr. William Haver, Division of Undergraduate Science,
Engineering, and Mathematics Education (357-7892).  [P.T.42;
K.W.0502036.]
 
May 15, 1992--
 
  Young Scholars Program.  (Brochure NSF 91-37.)  Dr. Virginia
Eaton, Division of Research Career Development (357-7538).
[P.T.44;AA; K.W.0600000,1000000,1010000.]
 
June 15, 1992--
 
  Undergraduate Course and Curriculum Development.  (Brochure NSF
91-50.)  Dr. Herbert Levitan, Division of Undergraduate Science,
Engineering, and Mathematics Education (357-7292).  [P.T.25;
K.W.0502030,0502023,0502042.]

TARGET DATES:
 
May 15, 1992--
 
  Instructional Materials Development.  Preliminary proposals
required.  (Brochure NSF 91-130.)  Ms. Alice Moses, Dr. Toni Kring,
Dr. Donald Humphreys, Dr. Gerhard Salinger, Dr. Frank Sutman, Dr.
Margaret Cozzens, or Dr. James Sandefur, Division of Materials
Development, Research, and Informal Science Education (357-7066).
[P.T.34; K.W.0502031,0503003,0503016.]
 
end part 1