Subject: NSF General Publication
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 91 09:08 EST

Hi Paul,
This is the fourth of eight parts of the November NSF Bulletin.
Please post it to the listserver as:  NSFBulletin4.911101.
Thanks, M. G. Broaddus
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF9180 --Chapter 5 (GEO), Guide to Programs
Type        : General Publication
NSF Contact : OLPA
Date        : October 23, 1991
IN          : Guide to Programs

GEOSCIENCES
 
Research in the geosciences is supported to advance the state of knowledge about
the earth, including its atmosphere, continents, oceans, sun and interior, and
the processes that modify them and link them together. General objectives of
this research are to:
 
Advance knowledge of the earth's upper and lower atmosphere and space
environment, including solar influences, general circulation and the physical
bases of climate, and the smaller-scale, shorter-term phenomena that describe
weather processes.
 
Provide further insights into the earth's structure, composition, processes, and
history, and to improve understanding of its resources, hazards, and wise use.
 
Improve knowledge of the physical, chemical, geological, and biological
processes in the world's oceans, and at their boundaries with the atmosphere,
the shoreline, the sea floor, and the earth's crust beneath.
 
Foster, in the antarctic and arctic regions, multidisciplinary research that
helps (1) solve regional and worldwide problems and protect the environment, and
(2) ensure equitable and prudent use of resources.
 
Atmospheric Sciences
 
The Atmospheric Sciences program supports research to add new understanding of
the behavior of the earth's atmosphere and its interactions with the sun.
Included are:
 
Studies of the physics, chemistry, and dynamics of the earth's upper and lower
atmosphere and its space environment.
 
Research on climate processes and variations.
 
Studies to understand the natural global cycles of gases and particles in the
earth's atmosphere.
 
NSF also provides support to operate the National Center for Atmospheric
Research (NCAR) and the Upper Atmospheric Facilities (UAF) program.
NCAR scientists conduct research in atmospheric and related sciences and work
with universities and other organizations to coordinate large-scale atmospheric
research projects. In addition, NCAR operates major aircraft, computer, and
other facilities for use by university, NCAR, and other scientists.
 
The UAF consists of four large incoherent-scatter radar facilities located along
a longitudinal chain from Greenland to Peru. They allow scientists to
investigate both local and global upper atmospheric problems.
 
Finally, NSF provides support for participation by the U.S. scientific community
in international scientific research endeavors, such as the World Climate
Research Program.
 
ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES PROJECT SUPPORT
 
The purpose of these programs is to continue to build a base of fundamental
knowledge on the atmospheres of the earth and other planets and of the sun.
Specific objectives include:
 
Development of the scientific basis for understanding (1) the dynamic and
physical behavior of climate and weather on all scales, and (2) the natural
global chemical cycles of gases and particles in the earth's atmosphere.
 
Improvement of understanding of the composition, energetics, and particularly
the dynamics of the coupled upper atmospheric system.
 
Improvement of our knowledge of the sun as it relates to the earth's upper
atmosphere and space environment.
 
Eligibility
 
Proposals may be submitted by academic institutions, nonacademic and
nonprofit research organizations, profitmaking and private research
organizations, and individuals. Occasionally, NSF sponsors efforts by
other Government agencies, particularly for field programs.
 
Target Dates
 
Proposals may be submitted at any time during the year for all programs
except for:  those involving the allocation of observational and
computing facilities and those proposals to the Climate Dynamics
program.
 
Before submitting a proposal for facility support, institutions should
seek advice from the Lower Atmospheric Facilities Manager at NSF.
Contact Division Director, Scientific Computing Division, NCAR, for
questions on computing proposals. Target dates for submission of
facility and computing proposals are November 1 and May 1.
 
For the Climate Dynamics program, target dates for proposal submission
are May 1, August 1, and December 1. Review and processing of proposals
normally take six months.
 
For More Information
 
Contact the Division of Atmospheric Sciences, National Science
Foundation, Washington, D.C. 20550.
 
Areas of Research
 
Aeronomy--Upper and middle atmosphere phenomena of ionization,
recombination, chemical reaction, photoemission, and transport; the
transport of energy, momentum, and mass in the mesosphere-
thermosphere-ionosphere system (includes the processes involved and the
coupling of this global system to the stratosphere below and
magnetosphere above); the plasma physics of phenomena manifested in the
upper atmosphere-ionosphere system, including magnetospheric coupling
efforts.
 
Atmospheric Chemistry--The measurement and modeling of concentration
and distribution of gases and aerosols in the lower and middle
atmosphere; chemical reactions among atmospheric species; sources and
sinks of important trace gases and aerosols; aqueous phase atmospheric
chemistry; transport of gases and aerosols throughout the atmosphere;
and improved methods for measuring the concentrations of trace species
and their fluxes into and out of the atmosphere.
 
Climate Dynamics--Supports research on processes that govern climate
and the causes of climate variability and change; methods to predict
climate variations and assess their impact on human activities;
assembly and analysis of both paleoclimatic and modern climatic data;
development and use of climate models to diagnose and simulate climate
and its variations.
 
Large-Scale Dynamic Meteorology--Supports basic research to improve the
understanding and prediction of atmospheric motion on synoptic to
planetary scales. Research topics include the general circulation,
synoptic scale weather phenomena, atmospheric predictability, and
improved parameterization of physical processes and numerical methods
for use in large-scale models.
 
Magnetospheric Physics--Supports research into the magnetized plasma
envelope of the outer atmosphere. It is concerned with energization by
the solar wind; the origin of geomagnetic storms and substorms; the
population by solar and ionospheric sources; the origin of electric
fields; the coupling between the magnetosphere, ionosphere, and
atmosphere; and waves and instabilities in the natural plasma.
Observational programs mainly concern the aurora. Theory programs quite
often include numerical simulations/modeling using nonlinear, three-
dimensional plasma physics. The analysis of data from all sources,
whether ground-based or from spacecraft, is also supported.
 
Mesoscale Dynamic Meteorology--Supports research on all aspects of
mesoscale meteorological phenomena. Sponsored research includes studies
of morphological, thermodynamic, and kinematic structure of mesoscale
systems; development of mesoscale systems and precipitation processes;
and energy transfer between scales.
 
Physical Meteorology--Supports basic research devoted to the physics
of the atmosphere with special emphasis on cloud physics, atmospheric
electricity, radiation, boundary layer and turbulence, and the
initiation, growth, and propagation of gravity waves. The program also
sponsors the development of new techniques and devices for atmospheric
measurements.
 
Solar-Terrestrial--Supports research into processes by which energy in
diverse forms is generated by the sun, transported to earth, and
ultimately deposited in the terrestrial environment. Major topics
include helioseismology, the solar dynamo, the 11-year variation,
magnetic flux emergence, solar flares and activity, coronal mass
ejections, solar wind heating, interactions with cosmic rays, and solar
wind/magnetosphere boundary problems. Atmospheric topics include
photochemistry/solar UV changes, solar "constant" changes and climatic
impacts, C14 and sun/climate connections, solar activity/climate
variability, and sun/weather variations on various time scales.
 
NATIONAL CENTER FOR ATMOSPHERIC RESEARCH (NCAR)
 
NSF supports the National Center for Atmospheric Research, a focal
point for research in that field. Located in Boulder, Colorado, NCAR
has about 650 scientists and support personnel.
NCAR is managed by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
(UCAR), a nonprofit consortium of 57 North American universities with
graduate programs in atmospheric sciences, under a cooperative
agreement between the Foundation and UCAR.
 
NCAR facilities serve the entire atmospheric sciences research
community and part of the ocean sciences community. The facilities
available to university, NCAR, and other scientists include a computing
center equipped with large mainframes providing supercomputer resources
and services emphasizing facilities for the development and execution
of large models and for the archiving and manipulation of large data
sets.
 
Information on other NCAR facilities is included in the Lower
Atmospheric Facilities section.
 
NCAR scientists conduct research in the atmospheric and ocean sciences
and in solar astronomy, and they collaborate in large research programs
involving many institutions. Research programs are selected for their
scientific merit, potential for progress, appropriateness for a
national center, responsiveness to and fit with university activities,
and relevance to society's needs.
 
NCAR research programs include fundamental research in the following
areas: large-scale atmospheric and ocean dynamics contributing to an
understanding of past and present climate processes and global change
including interactions with other environmental systems; global and
regional atmospheric chemistry topics including geochemical and
biogeochemical cycles; the variable nature of the sun and the physics
of the corona; the physics of clouds, thunderstorms, precipitation
formation and the interactions and effects on larger scale weather; and
the examination of human society's impact on and response to global
environmental change. In addition, NCAR provides fellowships for
visiting scientists to conduct research and interact with NCAR
scientists.
 
Eligibility
 
Facility and visiting scientist support is provided on a competitive
basis to qualified scientists according to scientific merit, available
facility time, and level of resources.
 
For More Information
 
Contact the Director, National Center for Atmospheric Research, P.O.
Box 3000, Boulder, Colorado 80307.
 
UPPER ATMOSPHERIC FACILITIES (UAF)
 
NSF supports four large incoherent-scatter radar and optical facilities
located along a longitudinal chain from Greenland to Peru. In response
to a need for more understanding of global-scale thermospheric and
ionospheric problems, these facilities have been upgraded and realigned
into a chain extending from the polar cap to the magnetic equator.
 
The major goal of the UAF program is to promote basic research on the
structure and dynamics of the earth's upper atmosphere.
 
The UAF program supports the following:
 
The Sondrestrom Radar Facility at Sondre Stromfjord, Greenland, which
is operated by SRI International under an NSF cooperative agreement,
allows observations of the polar cap, the cusp (a region of easy access
for solar wind energy), and the northern part of the auroral oval.
 
The Millstone Hill Radar near Boston, Massachusetts, which is operated
by MIT under an NSF cooperative agreement. It is located south of the
auroral oval, in the region where significant mid-latitude phenomena
are observed.
 
Observations of high-altitude regions--from almost directly above the
radar at Sondre Stromfjord to almost directly above the next radar in
the chain at Arecibo, Puerto Rico--can be made there.
 
The Arecibo Observatory at Arecibo, Puerto Rico, which is operated
under contract to the NSF by the National Astronomy and Ionosphere
Center of Cornell University. At Arecibo's latitude scientists have
obtained evidence for particle precipitation into the atmosphere,
composition changes in the atmosphere after magnetic storms, gravity
waves propagating from the auroral region, and the penetration of
magnetospheric electric fields.
 
The UAF program also supports the high-frequency heating facility site
near the Arecibo Observatory. This facility uses the ionosphere as a
gigantic plasma physics laboratory, artificially injecting energy into
the ionospheric medium to study plasma wave processes.
 
The Jicamarca Radio Observatory at the magnetic equator in Jicamarca,
Peru, is owned by the Instituto Geofisico de Peru. NSF is the principal
sponsor of the facility via a cooperative agreement with Cornell
University, which provides a subcontract to the Instituto.
 
Eligibility
 
UAF facilities are available on a competitive basis to all qualified
scientists. Use is based on scientific merit of the proposed research,
capabilities of the radars to carry out the proposed observations, and
availability of the requested time.
 
For More Information
 
Contact the following:
 
Director, Sondrestrom Radar Facility, Radio Physics Laboratory, SRI
International, Menlo Park, California 94025
 
Director, Millstone Hill Radar, MIT, Haystack Observatory, Westford,
Massachusetts 01886
 
Director, NAIC (for Arecibo Observatory), Cornell University, Ithaca,
New York 14853
 
Jicamarca Radio Observatory Project, Department of Electrical
Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853.

LOWER ATMOSPHERIC FACILITIES (LAF)
 
Through NCAR and several universities, NSF supports multi-user national
research facilities which offer educational opportunities and serve the
observational needs of the entire atmospheric science research
community.
 
Specifically, the NSF supports the following:
 
Aircraft:  The NSF fleet consists of a four engine Lockheed Electra
(NCAR), two Beech King Airs (NCAR and University of Wyoming), Rockwell
Sabreliner (NCAR), and an armored T-28 (South Dakota School of Mines
and Technology). Generally, these platforms can be equipped with
sensors to measure meteorological and chemical state parameters,
including temperature, pressure, dew point, winds and ozone. In
addition, a variety of other instruments can be selected for a
particular project or, in many cases, users may supply their own
specialized instrumentation.
 
Radars:  Three portable radars are available for research--two of 5 cm
wavelength (NCAR) and one of 10 cm (Colorado State University). All
three are Dopplerized and can provide measurements of equivalent radar
reflectivity factor, and mean and spectral characteristics of radial
velocity. The 10 cm wavelength radar also can provide horizontal and
vertical polarization on a pulse to pulse basis.
 
Surface and Sounding Systems:  NCAR maintains approximately fifty
solar powered Portable Automated Mesonetwork (PAM) stations capable of
measuring temperature, dew point, pressure and wind speed and
direction. Additionally, other specialized and user supplied
instruments may be interfaced with the PAMs.
 
The Atmosphere-Surface Turbulent Exchange Research Facility (NCAR) is
used in research on the structure of the atmospheric surface layer and
provides measurements of surface fluxes of trace chemical species,
water vapor, sensible heat and momentum.
 
Two systems are available from NCAR for measurement of the vertical
profile of temperature, moisture, pressure and winds in the
troposphere. The first is the surface, balloon borne Cross-chain Loran
Atmospheric Sounding System (CLASS) some of which are CLASS are mobile
and operated from vehicles. The second is a dropwindsonde system which
may be launched from most of the LAF aircraft.
 
Eligibility
 
The Lower Atmospheric Facilities are available on a competitive basis
to all qualified scientists. Use is based on scientific merit of the
proposed research, capabilities of the facilities to carry out the
proposed observations, and availability of the requested time.
 
For More Information
 
Contact the following:
 
Division Director, Atmospheric Technology Division, NCAR, P.O. Box
3000, Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000.
 
Facility Manager, Wyoming King Air, Department of Atmospheric Science,
P.O. Box 3038, University Station, Laramie, Wyoming  82071.
 
Facility Manager, T-28, Institute of Atmospheric Sciences, South Dakota
School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, South Dakota  57701.
 
Facility Manager, CSU-CHILL Radar, Department of Atmospheric Sciences,
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado  80523.

Earth Sciences
 
EARTH SCIENCES PROJECT SUPPORT
 
These programs provide funding support to U.S. colleges and
universities and other non-profit institutions for the conduct of
research and education in most areas of the solid-earth sciences.
Emphasis is on the support of basic research aimed at an improved
understanding of the earth's structure, properties, processes, and
evolution, including basic research in areas of practical importance.
This support is provided through grants, contracts, and cooperative
agreements awarded in response to unsolicited, investigator-initiated
proposals. The Foundation is a participant in the National Earthquake
Hazard Reduction Program (NEHRP) and supports research under the
Fundamental Earthquake Studies element of that program.
 
Support for projects in the Earth Sciences covers the full spectrum of
topics in the subdisciplines of geology, geochemistry, geophysics, and
paleobiology and is managed through four research programs. The
programs are described below with a summary of the subdisciplines,
methods, and techniques needed in the solution of the general problems;
the scope of these descriptions should be viewed in the broadest terms.
The subject matter of some proposals may overlap more than one program.
In such cases appropriate program assignments will be made at the
Division level and the proposal review will be coordinated among all
relevant programs.
 
In addition, the Division manages a Postdoctoral Program (NSF 90-86),
Global Change programs in Geologic Record of Global Change (NSF 90-
74) and Continental Hydrologic Processes (NSF 90-73) and basic research
related to the National Earthquake Hazard Reduction Program (NSF 90-
40).
 
Geology and Paleontology--This program supports studies of physical,
chemical, geological, and biological processes at or near the earth's
surface and the landforms, sediments, fossils, low-temperature fluids,
and sedimentary rocks that they produce. Topics represented in the
program include paleontology, paleoecology, stratigraphy,
paleoclimatology, geomorphology, glacial geology, sedimentology,
hydrogeology, soil genesis, sedimentary petrology, diagenesis, and
organic geochemistry.
 
Tectonics--The Tectonics program involves studies in structural
geology, tectonics, geochronology, petrology, paleomagnetics, and
other fields related to understanding the tectonic history of the
lithosphere through time. Supported research includes field,
laboratory, and theoretical studies of the processes and kinematics
accompanying deformation at plate boundaries and in plate interiors.
 
Geophysics--The Geophysics program supports laboratory, field,
theoretical, and computational studies related to composition,
structure, and processes of the earth's interior. Topics include
studies in seismicity and seismic wave propagation, the nature and
occurrence of earthquakes, the earth's magnetic, gravity, and
electrical fields, and its internal temperature distribution. Supported
research also includes geophysical studies of active deformation,
including GPS-based geodesy, and fundamental laboratory studies of
properties and behavior of earth materials in support of geophysical
observation and theory.
 
Petrology and Geochemistry--The Petrology and Geochemistry program
supports research on igneous, metamorphic, and hydrothermal processes
that occur within the earth and other planetary bodies and on the
minerals, rocks, fluids, and ore deposits resulting from these
processes. Included are studies in mineralogy, crystallography,
petrology, volcanology, geochemistry, economic geology, and
meteoritics. Supported research includes field, laboratory,
theoretical, and computational studies.
 
Eligibility
 
Proposals will be accepted from colleges, universities, and other
institutions in the United States with formal research programs in the
earth sciences.
 
Proposals may involve individual scientists or collaborative efforts
of associated researchers working on coordinated projects.
 
Deadlines for receipt of proposals are June 1 and December 1 each
year.
 
For More Information
 
Contact the Division of Earth Sciences, National Science Foundation,
Washington, D.C. 20550.
 
CONTINENTAL DYNAMICS
 
This program supports multidisciplinary research that focuses on an
improved understanding of the processes governing the origin,
structure, composition, and dynamical evolution of the continents and
continental building blocks. The program is particularly oriented
toward projects whose scope and complexity require a cooperative or
multi-institutional approach and multi-year planning and execution. It
is intended that the program would fund only relatively large projects
which do not fit easily within Earth Sciences Project Support and which
have broad support of major sections of the earth science community.
 
Eligibility
 
Proposals may be submitted by academic institutions and nonprofit
research organizations.
 
Deadline
 
Preliminary proposals: December 1.
Formal proposals: June 1.
 
For More Information
 
Contact the Division of Earth Sciences, National Science Foundation,
Washington, D.C. 20550.
 
INSTRUMENTATION AND FACILITIES
 
This program supports the acquisition or upgrade of equipment required
for research, the development of new instrumentation and techniques
that extend current research capabilities in the earth sciences, the
operation of multiuser regional or national facilities that provide
access to complex and expensive instrument systems for a significant
segment of the earth science research community, and the support of
research technicians.
 
Eligibility
 
Proposals may be submitted by academic institutions and nonprofit
research organizations.
 
Deadlines for receipt of proposals are June 1 and December 1.
 
For More Information
 
Contact the Division of Earth Sciences, National Science Foundation,
Washington, D.C. 20550.
 
Ocean Sciences
 
This division supports research to improve understanding of the ocean
and ocean basins. Research programs support individual scientists,
small groups of cooperating scientists, and some large coordinated
projects. Ocean Sciences also supports efforts to develop, acquire, and
operate instruments and facilities needed to carry out these research
programs.
 
OCEAN SCIENCES RESEARCH
 
These programs fund projects dealing with the disciplinary sciences of
biological, geological, physical, and chemical processes in the ocean.
Grants are awarded on the basis of research and education merit, taking
into account budgetary and programmatic reasons not directly related
to research merit. In addition, there are frequent announcements of
opportunity to participate in Global Change research programs.
 
Target dates for unsolicited proposals are November 1 and May 1.
 
More information on all divisional programs may be obtained by
requesting a copy of NSF Support of Ocean Sciences--An Informal Guide
(NSF 89-49). The target dates or deadlines for announcements of
opportunity are listed in the quarterly Ocean Sciences Newsletter,
which will be mailed to you on request (call Dr. Joan Mitchell, (202)
357-7912).
 
Proposals that require the use of UNOLS ships (see "Oceanographic
Centers and Facilities" below) should be submitted by the November 1
target date so that timely decisions can be made on ship support and
schedules. May 1 is the last target date field programs can be
submitted for the following calendar year.
 
Areas of Research
 
Biological Oceanography--Ocean productivity; distribution, abundance,
physiology, and life history of pelagic, coastal, and deep sea marine
organisms, and their interactions with environments; structures of
pelagic and benthic food chains; primary and secondary production;
interactions between deep sea biological processes and the ocean
ecosystem; specialization of deep sea organisms; ecology of the Great
Lakes and factors regulating productivity; marine biotechnology.
 
Chemical Oceanography--Physical and chemical properties of seawater,
including kinetic and thermodynamic equilibria of chemical species and
compounds in seawater, fluxes between seafloor sediments, their
interstitial waters, and overlying seawater; fates of materials
deposited on the sea floor; alterations and interactions of material
moving through the ocean; interactions and interdependencies between
chemical processes and marine organisms; air-sea exchanges of man-
made and naturally mobilized chemicals; chemical properties of the
ocean surface.
 
Marine Geology and Geophysics--Structure of continental margins,
oceanic rise systems, and deep sea sedimentary basins; evolution of
ocean basins; processes controlling exchanges of heat and chemical
elements between seawater and oceanic rocks; tectonic and volcanic
activity at mid-ocean ridges; chemical and mineralogic variations in
marine sediments; deposition, erosion, and distribution of marine
sediments; geologic and oceanographic processes controlling sedimentary
systems; past oceanic circulation patterns and climates; evolution of
microfossil groups; paleoenvironmental controls on fossil groups and
sediment types; interactions of continental and oceanic geologic
processes.
 
Physical Oceanography--Description, analysis, and modeling of oceanic
circulation and transport; effects of circulation  on energy and
momentum transport; physical circulation processes, eddy generation,
and turbulent mixing on continental shelves; mixing processes and
circulation in estuaries; wind-generated tides and surface and internal
waves; small-scale transport processes such as diffusion, conduction
and convection, and three-dimensional turbulence; physical properties
of seawater and circulation and mixing processes in lakes.
 
OCEANOGRAPHIC CENTERS AND FACILITIES
 
The National Science Foundation supports construction, conversion,
acquisition, and operation of major shared-use oceanographic
facilities. The University-National Oceanographic Laboratory System
(UNOLS) schedules these facilities and expeditionary programs.
 
This program supports expensive facilities necessary for NSF-funded
research and training of oceanographers. Examples are ships,
submersibles, large shipboard equipment, and shared-use instruments to
collect and analyze data. Funds are also available to develop research
instrumentation. However, the award of such funds does not imply
continuing facility support.
 
The Foundation encourages local contributions from nonfederal funds;
however, there is no fixed requirement for institutional contributions.
 
Eligibility
 
Support for major oceanographic facilities is concentrated at a few
institutions that have the capability to operate major ocean-science
facilities. These institutions have substantial research programs in
oceanography; they also support the research projects of other
institutions.
 
Before submitting a proposal for support under this program,
institutions should seek advice from the Oceanographic Centers and
Facilities Section. Specific instructions on how to submit proposals
for ship operations, technicians, shipboard equipment, and
oceanographic instrumentation are available.
 
Deadlines and Target Dates
 
Proposals for ship operations and technicians are due October 1 each
year. Proposals for shipboard equipment and oceanographic
instrumentation are due September 1 each year. Target dates for
instrumentation development proposals are May 1 and November 1 each
year. Proposals requesting support for other activities may be
submitted at any time.
 
For More Information
 
Contact the Division of Ocean Sciences, Oceanographic Centers and
Facilities Section, National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C.
20550.
 
OCEAN DRILLING PROGRAM (ODP)
 
ODP activities are an international exploration of Earth's crust
beneath the oceans to reveal the composition, structure, and history
of the submerged portion of Earth's surface. Ocean drilling involves
logging and collecting geologic samples from the floor of the deep
ocean basins through rotary coring and hydraulic piston coring. The
logs and samples of the cores are made available to qualified
scientists throughout the world for research projects.
 
ODP Operations

The drilling program has sampled sites in the North Atlantic Ocean,
Norwegian Sea, Mediterranean Sea, southern and equatorial Atlantic
Ocean, Pacific Ocean off the west coast of South America, Weddell Sea
off Antarctica, Indian Ocean and in the western and equatorial Pacific
Ocean.
 
The general contractor for the overall management and operation of the
ODP is Joint Oceanographic Institutions, Inc. (JOI), a consortium of
major U.S. oceanographic institutions. Drilling operations are managed
by Texas A&M University. Logging is managed by Lamont-Doherty
Geological Observatory of Columbia University.
 
U.S. Science Support
 
Support for participation and drilling-related research performed by
U.S. scientists is provided by NSF. This support focuses on the
following:
 
Investigations of potential drilling regions, especially by means of
regional geophysical field studies.
 
The feasibility and initial development of downhole instruments and
techniques.
 
Downhole geophysical and geochemical experiments.
 
In addition, NSF will consider proposals for studies leading to long-
range definition of future drilling objectives.
 
To be considered for support, proposed projects should be clearly
relevant to the drilling plans of the  international drilling community
and focus on predrilling or drilling concurrent activities. Postcruise
studies should generally be submitted through other appropriate NSF
programs such as Ocean Sciences, Earth Sciences, Polar Programs, etc.
Additional support for U.S. scientists may be obtained via the JOI U.S.
Science Advisory Committee (USSAC). This NSF- sponsored program
consists of the following elements:
 
Planning activities, such as workshops, to define concepts and develop
problem-related drilling programs, including U.S. participation in
Joint Oceanographic Institutions for Deep Earth Sampling (JOIDES).
 
Support for U.S. scientists participating on the drillship and for
necessary follow-up studies related to initial publication of drilling
results.
 
In addition, requests for proposals (RFPs) may be issued for other
surveys, regional and topical syntheses of existing data, and
development of downhole tools and instrumentation as these tasks are
identified.
 
For More Information
 
Contact the Ocean Drilling Program, Oceanographic Centers and
Facilities Section, Division of Ocean Sciences, National Science
Foundation, Washington, D.C. 20550.
 
Proposals for drilling specific sites should be submitted to JOIDES
Planning Committee Chairman, c/o Joint Oceanographic Institutions,
Inc., 1755 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W., Suite 800, Washington, D.C.
20036.
 
Applications for scientific participation aboard ship should be
submitted to the Manager of Science Operations, Ocean Drilling Program,
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 77843- 3469. Appropriate
support may be provided by JOI-USSAC.
 
Send requests for data and samples of core material to the Curator,
Ocean Drilling Program, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
77843-3469.
 
Information regarding logs and the logging program may be obtained from
the Borehole Research Group, Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory,
Palisades, New York 10964.
 
Proposals for planning activities and workshops may be submitted to the
JOI-USSAC Chairman, c/o Joint Oceanographic Institutions, Inc., 1755
Massachusetts Avenue, N.W., Suite 800, Washington, D.C. 20036.
 
Polar Programs
 
U.S. ANTARCTIC RESEARCH
 
The U.S. Antarctic Research Program aims to increase understanding of
the antarctic region and its relationship to the rest of the planet.
This research is the major focus of the U.S. Antarctic Program, the
comprehensive name for U.S. Government- sponsored activities in
Antarctica. The Foundation funds and manages the U.S. Antarctic Program
in support of the range of U.S. interests and the Nation's adherence
to the Antarctic Treaty.
 
Research Objectives
 
The Foundation provides funding and operational support for basic
research in the disciplines discussed below. Also, on occasion, applied
research is supported, usually on a contract basis, to improve
operational capabilities in Antarctica.
 
Astrophysics--South Pole Station is well situated for long, continuous
solar observations in summer, when the sun is above the horizon 24
hours a day. Astronomical observations also can be made during winter,
when there is continuous darkness. The high elevation of the station
(9,299 ft.), the dry atmosphere, the extremely low effective sky
temperature, and long periods of clear weather provide superior
observing conditions. The program objective is to encourage proposals
for astrophysical projects at the South Pole.
 
Atmospheric Sciences--Antarctica, the world's largest and most intense
climate area, has an active relationship with regional and perhaps
global weather and climate patterns. Far removed from pollution
sources, it is an important monitoring and research area for world
background levels of atmospheric constituents. Conditions in Antarctica
have proved a harbinger of natural and human-induced global atmospheric
change. Research objectives are to improve understanding of physical
processes of the atmosphere, to determine the relationship between
events and conditions in the antarctic atmosphere and global events,
and to determine the region's role in past and present global climate.
 
Earth Sciences--Reconnaissance has identified the geology of most ice-
free areas, and research has provided an outline of the region's
geology and geophysics. Major clues have been obtained in support of
the theories of continental drift and the Gondwanaland supercontinent.
Geologic maps have been made of some areas. Objectives are to
understand the geology and the geological history of the Antarctic and
to determine the relationship of Antarctica to global geodynamics. A
special objective is to collect and make available for study some of
the large numbers of meteorites that have concentrated on the surface
in ice ablation areas.
 
Glaciology--The world's largest ice sheet covers 97 percent of the
antarctic continent in thicknesses up to 3 miles. It is a storehouse
of information about climate and atmospheric constituents and their
variation over time. Objectives are to determine the dynamics of the
ice sheets, to understand the climatic record stored in the layers of
firn and ice, and to determine the present dynamic status of the ice
sheets and their relationship to glacial and climatic history.
 
Marine Biology--The oceans around Antarctica make up one of the world's
most productive regions. Objectives are to understand the structure and
function of antarctic marine ecosystems, to determine the major
features and adaptations of organisms, and to add to knowledge of their
distribution, abundance, and dynamics. Major attention is on ship and
shore- based studies stressing trophodynamics and including detailed
investigations at all trophic levels. Emphases include krill, ice-
edge ecosystems, and low-temperature adaptations.
 
Marine Geology and Geophysics--The sea floor around Antarctica is
complex and presents fundamental problems in marine geology and
geophysics. Its sediments provide a detailed record of changes in the
size of the antarctic ice sheet. Objectives are to interpret geological
and glacial history as recorded in sediments and to support studies of
specific scientific problems revealed by earlier surveys.
 
Medical Research--Biomedical studies are directed toward epidemiology
of viral infections and physiological and psychological attributes of
people in small, isolated groups.
 
Physical and Chemical Oceanography--The southern ocean has a central
role in the world ocean. Large-scale heat exchange at the ocean surface
overturns the water column and mixes trace constituents, making the
southern ocean a major source of the world's intermediate and deep-
water masses. Huge changes in the extent of sea ice (varying annually
between 1 million and 8 million square miles) also influence energy
transfer. The Antarctic Circumpolar Current, the world's largest ocean
current, has a major effect on general oceanic circulation. Research
objectives are to determine the dynamics of formation and distribution
of water masses, currents, and sea ice; to investigate the relation-
ship between oceanic and atmospheric circulation systems and the
physical basis for biological productivity; and to investigate the
relationship of the southern ocean and climate.
 
Terrestrial Biology--The meager biota of terrestrial Antarctica are of
special interest, owing to adaptations to the extreme environment. The
simplicity of these terrestrial ecosystems provides opportunities for
analysis that is more difficult or impossible in the complex systems
of the lower latitudes. Research objectives are to understand features
and adaptations of organisms and to add to knowledge of their
distribution, abundance, and dynamics.
 
Upper Atmosphere Physics--Unique studies of the earth's magnetosphere
and ionosphere and of sun-earth relationships are possible in
Antarctica because of its physically stable location at high
geomagnetic latitude. Year-round, station-based research is possible
at geomagnetic latitudes ranging from 53 degrees south at Palmer to 79
degrees south at McMurdo Station. Research objectives are to improve
understanding of the earth's upper atmosphere and near-space
environment; to investigate coupling between the neutral atmosphere,
the ionosphere, and the magnetosphere; and to investigate solar-
terrestrial effects.
 
Operational Support
In addition to granting funds for research, the program provides
scientists with logistics and operational support in the Antarctic. The
support includes a year-round inland research station at the South Pole
(90 degrees south latitude), two year-round coastal research stations
(McMurdo at 78 degrees south and Palmer at 64 degrees south), summer
camps as required for research, the ice-strengthened research ship
Polar Duke, a fleet of LC-130 airplanes (ski-equipped C-130s), Twin
Otter airplanes when required, UH-1N helicopters, an icebreaker for
channel breaking, and a variety of oversnow vehicles. Ships of the U.S.
academic fleet and the ocean drilling program also support research in
the Antarctic on occasion. The Nathaniel B. Palmer, a 308-foot research
ship with icebreaking capability, is under construction for the U.S.
Antarctic Program and will be available for research use in ice-
infested areas of the southern ocean beginning in early 1992.
Air transport between New Zealand and McMurdo is provided several
times per week in the austral summer from early October to the end of
February. From McMurdo, the logistics hub, science parties in summer
have access as required to other sites, including the station at the
South Pole. Several flights are made in August between New Zealand and
McMurdo, providing one opportunity each year for winter access to that
station. Between February and October the summer camps are closed, and
winter research is limited to the immediate environs of South Pole and
McMurdo, where station residents are isolated as long as eight months.
Palmer Station, on Anvers Island by the Antarctic Peninsula, is
logistically isolated from the rest of the U.S. Antarctic Program and
relies mainly on the Polar Duke (during or between research cruises)
for transport to a port at the southern tip of South America. The ship
makes several trips throughout the year. Air access is possible a few
times per year in summer in cooperation with the U.S. Air Force and
Chile. Polar Duke provides onboard research support in marine biology,
oceanography, and geophysics and can support science in other areas of
the southern oceans.

Eligibility
 
U.S. academic institutions and academically related nonprofit
organizations may submit proposals for research project support.
Industry and local, state, and federal agencies are also eligible for
support. The Foundation particularly encourages antarctic proposals
from women and minorities, and encourages proposals for research
projects that include participation by undergraduates and high school
graduates under guidelines established by cross-disciplinary NSF
programs (e.g., Research Experiences for Undergraduates and Young
Scholars Program). All persons proposed to perform field work in
Antarctica must pass a physical examination that has standards
specified by the U.S. Antarctic Program.

Proposal Preparation
 
Obtain the Antarctic Program Announcement and Proposal Guide (NSF 91-
41) from the Foundation's Publications Unit, Room 232, National Science
Foundation, Washington, DC 20550 (202-357-7861 or TDD, 202-357-7492).
This 48-page guide describes research opportunities, contains material
to help proposers evaluate the potential environmental impact of their
projects and describe their operational needs in Antarctica, gives
instructions that are special to the U.S. Antarctic Research Program,
and describes the legal requirements under the Antarctic Conservation
Act. Additionally, proposers will need to obtain Grants for Research
and Education in Science and Engineering (GRESE) (NSF 90-77) and
Antarctic Conservation Act of 1978, With Regulations, Maps, Application
Forms (NSF 89-59). GRESE provides instructions for preparing the
science and budget portions of the proposal.
 
For scientists not familiar with the antarctic program, prior
discussion with a Division of Polar Programs science program manager
(202-357-7894) or, for operational questions, with a member of the
Polar Operations Section (202-357-7808) can be helpful.

Deadlines
 
Requests for support of research in Antarctica must be received by June
1 of the year before the proposed start of field work. For example,
proposals for the 1992-93 austral summer season and the 1993 austral
winter must be received by June 1, 1991.
 
Field projects requiring large amounts of cargo in Antarctica may
require additional lead time to allow for transport by ship.
 
Requests for support of antarctic research not involving work in the
field should be received by June 1 preceding the fiscal year in which
funds are sought. Thus proposals received by June 1, 1991 will be
considered for funding beginning in fiscal 1992, which starts October
1, 1991.

Literature
 
Antarctic Journal of the United States (Est. 1966). Washington:
National Science Foundation. Available from the Government Printing
Office, Washington, D.C. 20402. Quarterly news plus annual reviews of
U.S. Antarctic Research Program.
 
"Laboratory Antarctica: Research Contributions to Global Problems," by
Gunter Weller and others. Science, December 4, 1987, pp. 1361-1368;
January 22, 1988, p. 335.
 
The following publications are available from the Polar Research Board,
National Academy of Sciences, 2101 Constitution Avenue, N.W.,
Washington, D.C. 20037.
 
U.S. Research in Antarctica in the Year 2000 and Beyond (1986)
Antarctic Solid-Earth Sciences Research:  A Guide for the Next Decade
and Beyond (1986)
 
Recommendations for a U.S. Ice Coring Program (1986)
Polar Regions and Climate Change (1984)
 
Research Emphases for the U.S. Antarctic Program (1983)
Study of the Upper Atmosphere and Near-Earth Space in Polar Regions
(1982)
 
Polar Biomedical Research (1982)
 
An Evaluation of Antarctic Marine Ecosystem Research (1981)
 
Physical Oceanography and Tracer Chemistry of the Southern Ocean (1988)
 
Data Coordination and Career Stimulation in Polar Biomedical Research
(1988).
 
Other information:  An ongoing Antarctic Bibliography prepared by the
Library of Congress abstracts and indexes the world antarctic research
literature published between 1951 and the present. Seventeen hardbound
volumes and two cumulative indexes have been published to date. Current
Antarctic Literature is a computer printout of abstracts issued monthly
by the Library of Congress staff that produces the Antarctic Bibliog-
raphy. It is available free to working scientists and librarians from
the Division of Polar Programs.
 
The U.S. Geological Survey has reconnaissance maps of portions of
Antarctica at various scales. An "Index to Topographic Maps--
Antarctica" is available from the Distribution Branch, U.S. Geological
Survey, Box 25286, Federal Center, Building 41, Denver, Colorado 80225.
A one-sheet map of the continent at 1:5,000,000 scale, published in
1970, is available from the Smithsonian Oceanographic Sorting Center,
Washington, D.C. 20560.
 
Hydrographic charts of antarctic coastal and deep sea waters are
available from the Defense Mapping Agency (DMA), Office of Distribution
Services, Washington, D.C. 20315, (301 227-2495). An index is
available.
 
Ice cores, ocean-bottom sedimentary cores, terrestrial sedimentary
cores, dredged rocks, biological specimens, meteorites, and ocean-
bottom photographs are available for study. Request "Specimen and Core-
Sample Distribution Policy" from the Division of Polar Programs.

ARCTIC RESEARCH
 
This program coordinates and extends U.S. research under the Arctic
Research and Policy Act of 1984 and directs the development,
implementation, and coordination of national policies and research
plans. NSF is the lead agency for such activities, and the NSF Director
chairs the Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee. The Director
also is an ex-officio member of the Arctic Research Commission,
appointed by the President pursuant to the Act.
 
The Foundation supports arctic research in two ways:
 
1. The Arctic Research Program, administered by the Division of Polar
Programs, emphasizes projects requiring special support such as
interdisciplinary and international projects. The disciplines supported
in this program are discussed below.
 
2. Disciplinary research is supported by any other appropriate NSF
division or program.
 
A prospective proposer should examine the Guide to Programs to
determine which NSF office is most appropriate for the research
envisioned. Two NSF brochures will provide additional assistance:
Grants for Arctic Research (NSF 86-29), which describes NSF objectives
for arctic research and lists selected NSF programs with potential
interest in supporting arctic science and engineering.
 
Arctic Science, Engineering, and Education Awards:  Fiscal Year 1989
(NSF 90-45), a list of all NSF arctic awards made in a recent one-
year period.
 
The Foundation's interagency responsibilities assigned by the Arctic
Research and Policy Act of 1984 have resulted in two additional
publications that should interest arctic investigators:
 
United States Arctic Research Plan, Biennial Revision 1990-91,
available from the Division of Polar Programs, describes U.S. arctic
research programs in the areas of atmosphere and oceans; land,
including resources and environmental interactions; health; and social
sciences.
 
The journal Arctic Research of the United States, available from the
Division of Polar Programs, describes federal, state, local, and
privately sponsored arctic research.
 
In the Arctic Research program, a goal is to foster research that
contributes to understanding and solving arctic and global problems.
Field projects outside the Arctic but directly related to arctic
science and engineering also will be considered, as will related
laboratory and theoretical studies. Specific areas of interest include
the following:
 
Atmospheric Sciences--In meteorology, stratus clouds, tropospheric
chemistry, radiation balance, arctic lows, and arctic haze; past
climates and atmospheric gases as preserved in snow and ice cores; and
sea-ice-air interactions. In upper atmosphere physics, magnetosphere-
ionosphere coupling, the plasma-pause, and wave-particle interactions.
 
Biology--Marine, freshwater, and terrestrial biology; ecology;
ecosystem structure and processes; anthropology; the effect of human
activities on the environment. Understanding of species, communities,
and ecosystems. Process studies on nutrient cycling and land-atmosphere
interactions, particularly in the context of regional and global
changes.
 
Earth Sciences--Physical and chemical processes at or near the earth's
surface, paleomagnetism, stratigraphy, soil genesis, geologic hazards,
heat flow, permafrost, seismology, tectonics, crustal structure, origin
of the Arctic Basin, and paleoecological and paleoclimatic
reconstructions and comparisons with modern environments.
 
Glaciology--Past climates, atmospheric paleochemistry, ice stream
dynamics, glacial geology and hydrology, and mass balance of ice
sheets. Rapid movements of glaciers and ice streams, because of their
potential for contributing to changes in sea level. Ice core analysis
for paleoclimates and predicting future climates; ice coring.
 
Oceanography--Structure of the Arctic Ocean and adjacent seas, their
interactions with the rest of the hydrosphere, and their role in global
climate. Formation, maintenance, and decay of sea ice. Magnetic
anomalies, heat flow, sedimentary history, and gravitational values at
the ocean floor. Relationships of chemical and physical processes with
marine organisms and productivity.
 
Social Sciences--A multidisciplinary program encompassing archaeology;
cultural, social, and physical anthropology; ethnology; history;
geography; sociology; psychology; linguistics; political science; law;
economics; and related subjects. Research themes of particular concern
are rapid social change, community viability, and human/environment
interactions. Projects which are circumpolar are encouraged.
 
Of the many other NSF programs that have supported arctic research, the
following has defined arctic objectives:
 
Engineering--Properties of snow, ice, and frozen soils and hydrology
in arctic and related cold environments; thermodynamic and transport
phenomena; geomechanics; mitigation of natural and human-made hazards;
evaluation of structures and building systems, ocean engineering.
 
Eligibility
 
Any U.S. scientist interested in doing research may initiate a
proposal, which is submitted formally by his or her institution. The
Foundation particularly encourages arctic proposals from women,
minorities (including Native Americans), and persons with disabilities.
NSF also encourages proposals for research projects that include
participation by undergraduates and high school students under
guidelines established by cross-disciplinary NSF programs (e.g.,
Research Experiences for Undergraduates and Research Assistance for
Minority High School Students). Graduate students are not encouraged
to initiate proposals but to participate as research assistants to
principal investigators. Most successful proposals are submitted by
U.S. universities and colleges. Nonprofit, nonacademic research
institutions, private profit-making organizations, and local and state
governments also are eligible for support; foreign institutions rarely
are. Under certain circumstances, unaffiliated scientists may be
eligible for support. The Small Business Innovation Research program
provides opportunities for science and technology firms with competence
in polar science, engineering, and operations.
 
Special Proposal Requirements
 
Except for certain research in Greenland and at sea, the Foundation
does not arrange for or provide logistics for arctic research; it is
usually the responsibility of the proposers to arrange and budget for
these items. The proposal must include sufficient information to assure
safety and feasibility of the field work. It must identify all proposed
field personnel and describe their qualifications for the work they are
to do.
 
U.S.-sponsored research in Greenland requires prior notification to the
Danish Commission for Scientific Research in Greenland, along with
indemnification. Investigators contemplating Greenland research should
request a copy of the Project Proposal/Data Sheet for U.S. Scientific
Research in Greenland from the Division of Polar Programs.
 
Deadlines
 
The Division of Polar Programs has a September 1 deadline each year for
its Arctic Research program. Proposals may be submitted as early as two
months before the deadline. Most other programs supporting proposals
for arctic research have no specific deadlines or have several target
dates per year. Two target dates for arctic social sciences proposals
have been established: August 1 and January 1. For research in
Greenland, researchers should submit the Project Proposal/Data Sheet
(described above) by October 1.
 
For More Information
 
Address communications to the Division of Polar Programs, National
Science Foundation, Washington, D.C. 20550.
 
Other Polar Research Opportunities
 
See Small Business Innovation Research (NSF 90-31)--Advanced concepts
in scientific or engineering areas, particularly where the research may
serve as a base for technological innovation. Polar topics include
frost action, geophysical and space technologies, biotechnology, and
operations and construction.

..stis file is nsf9180f
..expires with new edition
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or info@NSF (BITNET).
The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in the *text*
of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).