Subject: NSF Bulletin - Submission Info - MPS and STIA
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 15:37 EST

Hi Paul,
   Please post to the NIH Listserver as:
   NSFBULLETIN5.103090
 Thanks.   Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Subject: NSF Bulletin - Submission Info - MPS and STIA
            MPS - Mathematical and Physical Sciences
                          CFDA #47.049
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
November 1, 1990--
     Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in Chemistry.  (Brochure
NSF 90-75).  Dr. Seymour Lapporte (357-7503).  [P.T.22;
K.W.1003000].
 
November 15, 1990--
     Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowships.
For applications or information contact NSF's Office of Special
Projects, Division of Mathematical Sciences (357-3453).  [P.T.22,
K.W.1010000].
 
December 3, 1990--
     Scientific Computing Research Environments for the
Mathematical Sciences Proposals.  Contact NSF's Office of Special
Projects, Division of Mathematical Sciences (357-3453).  [P.T.18;
K.W.1010000].
 
TARGET DATES:
 
November 1, 1990--
     Condensed Matter Physics.  Dr. Ted Castner or Dr. Hollis
Wickman, Division of Materials Research. (357-9787).
     Solid-State Chemistry and Polymers.  Dr. Norbert Bikales or
Dr. David Nelson, Division of Materials Research. (357-9787).
     Materials Theory.  Dr. Bruce Taggart or Dr. David Paul,
Division of Materials Research.  (357-9789).
     Metals, Ceramics, and Electronic Materials.  Dr. Bruce
MacDonald or Dr. Karl Jakus, Division of Materials Research.
(357-9789).
     Materials Research Groups.  Dr. John Hurt, Division of
Materials Research.  (357-9791).
     Instrumentation for Materials Research.  Dr. Lorretta
Inglehart, Division of Materials Research.  (357-9791).

   STIA - Scientific, Technological, and International Affairs
                          CFDA #47.053
 
PROGRAM DEADLINES:
 
November 1, 1990--
     Brazil Science and Technology Initiative Postdoctoral Awards
for United States Researchers.  Postdoctoral visits of one to
three months duration in the fields of chemistry, geology, or
mathematics.  Contact Dr. Harold Stolberg or Dr. David Kelland,
Division of International Programs (357-9564).
     Cooperative Research, Bilateral Workshops, and Scientific
Visits.  Foreign collaborator must submit parallel proposal to
counterpart agency.  (Brochure NSF 80-52).
          U.S.-Argentina Cooperative Science.
          U.S.-Brazil Cooperative Science.
          U.S.-Mexico Cooperative Science.
          U.S.-Venezuela Cooperative Science.
 
Contact Dr. Harold Stolberg or Dr. David Kelland, Division of
International Programs (357-9564). [P.T.34,42,48;
K.W.0400000,0600000,1000000].
     Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) and the
Science and Technology Agency of Japan (STA) Postdoctoral Awards
for United States Researchers.  (Brochures NSF 88-98 and 88-
52).  Annual deadline.  NSF coordinates with JSPS and STA to
place U.S. researchers in Japanese university and government
laboratories for 12-month and 6- to 24-month periods,
respectively.  Contact Ms. Myra McAuliffe (357-9558). [P.T.34;
Loc.0112070].
     Long- and Medium-Term Research at Foreign Centers of
Excellence.  (Brochure NSF 89-112).  Postdoctoral research only.
Open to U.S. citizens who expect to receive a doctorate degree by
the award date, or who have received a doctorate no longer than
six years before the date of application.  Contact Mr. Russell
Sveda, Division of International Programs (357-7554).  [P.T.34;
K.W.0112000].
     U.S.-Yugoslavia Joint Board for Scientific and Technological
Cooperation.  Cooperative activities include joint research,
bilateral workshops, and project development visits.  Contact Ms.
Rose Bader, Division of International Programs (357-9550).
[P.T.34; K.W.0112150].
 
November 15, 1990--
     U.S.-Israel Binational Science Foundation (BSF).  Proposals
should not be submitted to NSF; send to BSF Jerusalem.  Division
of International Programs (357-7613). [P.T.34; K.W.0112066].
 
December 15, 1990--
     Awards for Japanese-Language Study by Researchers in Science
and Engineering.  (Brochure NSF 88-118).  Support for Japanese-
language study in the U.S. aimed at facilitating U.S.-Japan
cooperative research or developing the ability to read Japanese
technical literature.  Contact Ms. Myra McAuliffe (357-9558).
[P.T.08,23,25; K.W.0312034,0410001,0502021].
 
January 15, 1991--
     U.S. Taiwan Cooperative Science.  Proposals for cooperative
research projects and joint workshop seminars.  Contact Dr.
William Y.B. Chang, Division of International Programs (357-
7393).  [K.W.0112133].
     Summer Institute in Japan.  (Brochure NSF 90-10)
Applications for U.S. science and engineering graduate students
to intern at Japanese research labs and receive Japanese language
training in Tsukuba Science City, Japan, during the summer of
1991.  Request the brochure by sending a postcard to:  Japan
Program, NSF, Room 1214, Washington, D.C. 20550, or via E-mail to
[email-masked] (Internet) or NSFJinfo@nsf (Bitnet).
[P.T.34,48; K.W.0112066; Loc.0112070].
 
TARGET DATES:
 
November 1, 1990--
     U.S.-China Cooperative Science.  (Brochure NSF 82-50).
Cooperative research only.  The program does not accept travel
requests or unsolicited proposals for joint seminars and
workshops.  Proposals received after target date will be
processed when received. Call for current status of program:  Ms.
Patricia Tsuchitani or Dr. William Y.B. Chang (357-7393).
[P.T.34; K.W.0112027].
 
December 1, 1990--
     Long-term Research Opportunities in Japan.  (Brochure NSF
88-51).  U.S. researchers can visit Japanese government,
university, and industrial laboratories for six to 24 months.
Contact Ms. Myra McAuliffe (357-9558). [P.T.34; Loc.0112070].