Subject: NSF General Publication
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 91 09:25 EST

Hi Paul,
This is the sixth of eight parts of the November NSF Bulletin.
Please post to the listserver as:  NSFBulletin6.911101.
Thanks, M. G. Broaddus
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF9180 --Chapter 3 (CISE), Guide to Programs
Type        : General Publication
NSF Contact : OLPA
Date        : October 23, 1991
IN          : Guide to Programs

COMPUTER
AND
INFORMATION
SCIENCE AND
ENGINEERING

The Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE)
Directorate's programs improve fundamental understanding of
"computing and information processing" in the broadest sense of
the terms, enhance the training of scientists and engineers to
contribute to that understanding, and encourage and facilitate
the use of state-of-the-art computational techniques in
scientific and engineering research. Computing and information
processing includes the creation, representation, storage,
transformation, and transmission of information. Special
attention is given to the computing and communications
technologies--including software--employed to manage these
processes, and to selected generic areas of application. Parallel
processing, automation and robotics, large scale integrated
electronic systems, scientific computing, and networking are
current areas of emphasis.
 
CISE is inherently multidisciplinary, supporting not only
computer and information scientists and engineers, but also
electrical engineers, mathematicians, artificial intelligence and
cognitive scientists, and behavioral, economic and social
scientists. Its fields are unique in combining science and
engineering methods and in the close coupling of basic and
applied research methods. Support is provided through individual,
group and center research awards, instrumentation grants,
research initiation grants, and infrastructure improvement grants
to academic institutions.
 
In addition to supporting research, CISE provides access for the
general scientific community to very advanced computing and
networking capabilities. National supercomputer centers give
access to extremely powerful computing resources, train users,
and develop the required software for effective use. Networking
activities build and offer a national infrastructure for computer
and human interaction and communication for research and
education. CISE also supports capabilities for rapid prototyping
of microelectronic components and systems for research and
education. In addition, CISE supports educational development
through such activities as the Educational Infrastructure and
Educational Supplements programs.
 
Scientists and engineers initiate proposals which are usually
submitted on their behalf by their employing institutions. The
Foundation welcomes proposals from all qualified scientists and
engineers, and especially encourages those initiated by women,
minorities, and the disabled.
 
The most frequent recipients of support for basic projects are
colleges, universities, and nonprofit research organizations. In
special cases, as noted in this Guide's introduction, grants also
go to other types of institutions and individuals. In these
cases, before a proposal is submitted, preliminary inquiry should
be made to the appropriate program officer.
 
Support may be requested for projects involving one or more
researchers. Awards are made for projects in a single discipline
as well as those that cross or merge disciplinary lines.

Deadlines
 
Proposals may be submitted at any time unless otherwise noted,
and six months should be allowed for processing. To be funded in
a particular fiscal year (ending September 30), proposals should
be received by NSF no later than December of that fiscal year.

For More Information
 
Additional details or answers to specific questions may be
obtained by contacting the appropriate division director,
National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C. 20550.

Areas of Research
 
Several CISE programs described below--Institutional
Infrastructure, Instrumentation, Educational Infrastructure, and
Research Initiation--cover all fields of computer and information
science and engineering, and are managed on a cross-divisional
basis.

Computer and Computation Research
 
Theory of Computing--Research aimed at improving the practice of
computing and enhancing understanding of fundamental issues of
computation. Includes research aimed at better algorithms for
selected core problems; techniques for analyzing the complexity
of algorithms for the novel computers; and foundational issues
such as structural complexity theory and the meaning of programs.
 
Software Engineering--Research for improving software
productivity and quality, including problems in the development,
maintenance, and management of sequential, parallel, distributed,
or real time software systems; and research to develop models,
techniques and methodologies, to construct prototype tools and
environments.
 
Programming Languages and Compilers--All aspects of programming
language research; seeking to further integrate programming
language research with advances in high performance computing.
Participates in infrastructure support and development of new
research agendas. Proposals are expected to address how research
will affect progress in programming technology and potential
contributions to understanding and advancing computer programming
and software development.
 
Operating Systems and Systems Software--Research on operating
systems, systems tools and libraries for all levels of computers
and networked resources, with emphasis on systems software for
high performance environments. Plays a central part in computer
security; seeks to foster experimental research modes and further
integrating software systems research with high performance
computing.
 
Numeric, Symbolic and Geometric Computation--Research in numeric
methods; symbolic and algebraic computation; automated
theorem-proving; computational geometry; and optimization and
mathematical programming. Seeks to strengthen the computational
infrastructure for science and engineering through theoretical
investigations, design and analysis of algorithms, adaptation of
algorithms to emerging computer architectures, and development of
software platforms. Research driven by generic and domain-
specific computations.
 
Computer Systems--Research on design, evaluation, analysis and
development of computer systems. Includes studies on general and
special purpose computer architectures at the theoretical,
representational, algorithmic and software levels, and the
simulation and implementation of these architectures in software.
Research focus is on computer architectures at a high level of
abstraction and supporting theory, models, software and
algorithms.

Information, Robotics, and Intelligent Systems
 
Database and Expert Systems--Research fundamental to the design,
development, management, and use of database and knowledge-based
systems. Topics include conventional databases; scientific
databases; and knowledge-base extensions; database support in
distributed systems; knowledge engineering and expert systems;
and information retrieval.
 
Information Technology and Organizations--Research fundamental to
the design and use of computer and communications systems to
coordinate work and decisionmaking. Topics include theory and
models of information processing in organizations; information
systems in networked environments for scientific collaboration;
distributed artificial intelligence; and impacts and policy
implications of information technology on society.
 
Interactive Systems--Research fundamental to the design of
systems that mediate between computers and humans. Topics include
visualization; animation and simulation; interactive computing;
speech and language interfaces; posture and sound based
interfaces; and multimedia environments.
 
Knowledge Models and Cognitive Systems--Research fundamental to
knowledge representation and to the design of computer systems
for reasoning and problem solving. Topics include formal models
of knowledge and reasoning; natural language processing; and
cognitive systems for problem solving and learning.
 
Robotics and Machine Intelligence--Research fundamental to the
design of systems for implementing some characteristics of
intelligence. Topics include pattern recognition; machine vision;
sensor-based control in intelligent robots; and automatic
reasoning and planning of complex tasks involving temporal and
spatial relationships in robotic or other automated systems.
 
NSF-ICOT Visitors Program--Under an agreement between NSF and the
Japanese Institute for New Generation Technology (ICOT), U.S.
computer scientists and engineers and researchers in allied
fields may apply to conduct research at ICOT for a period ranging
from six months to one year. NSF funds may be requested to cover
salary, costs of travel to and from ICOT, and reasonable living
expenses for the applicant and family.

Microelectronic Information Processing Systems
 
Design, Tools, and Test~~Research exploring the design process
for both integrated (IC) circuit chips and IC circuits, with
emphasis on automating the design process in new, existing, and
mixed technologies. Research areas include theoretical
foundations of IC chip and system design, including models,
algorithms, and methodologies; tools and frameworks for designing
IC chips and systems; design synthesis including logic synthesis
and silicon compilation; methods for simulation of designs; and
design testing and validation.
 
Systems Prototyping and Fabrication~~Research on technologies,
tools, methodologies, and services for prototyping experimental
information processing systems, with emphasis on issues in rapid
system prototyping including use of field programmable gate
arrays; new packaging and interconnect technologies (e.g.,
multichip modules and optoelectronics) for building high
performance computing systems; automated assembly and novel
fabrication technologies; and systems issues including
interfacing, standards, and tool integration. Design tool
research focuses on implementation issues and the physical level
of system design. Support is provided for the development of new
interconnect and packaging technology and new prototyping
services. Support of microelectronics education includes
workshops, conferences, development of curricular and courseware
materials, and educational support services such as MOSIS.
 
Experimental Systems~~Research experiments involving building and
evaluating information processing systems. Such goal oriented
hardware/software projects are usually undertaken by teams of
designers, builders, and users. The building of the system must
itself represent a major intellectual effort, and contribute to
understanding information and computing systems architecture. The
system prototype should advance a proof-of concept prototype to a
more complete operational system suitable for exploring
applications and performance issues.
 
Microelectronic Systems Architecture--Basic research on computing
systems and methods for their design. Computing systems deal with
computer architecture, hardware implementation, system software,
networking, and data storage. Research is encouraged on the
fundamental aspects of computing systems architectures and
scientific design methods that better utilize existing or
emerging technologies, support systems software, or address
important applications whose computational requirements cannot be
met by conventional architectures. The program emphasizes
physically realizable systems and, when necessary, limited
proof-of-concept prototyping.
 
Circuits and Signal Processing--Research on circuit theory and
analog and digital signal processing. Emphasizes modern signal
processing, stressing the impact of VLSI, including signal
representation, filtering, novel algorithms, special-purpose
hardware, and real-time computing. Circuit theory research
encompasses such activities as nonlinear, discrete-time, analog
and hybrid circuits, and analog/digital conversion.

Advanced Scientific Computing
 
New Technologies--Algorithm and software development for
high-performance computing for use in the solution of scientific
and engineering problems. Supports interdisciplinary teams and
groups of scientists and engineers working jointly with computer
scientists and mathematicians. Research products may be new
scientific software, more powerful numerical models, performance
evaluation, or novel approaches to problem solving through
parallel processing, vectorization, and visualization.
 
Postdoctoral Research Associateships in Computational Science and
Engineering--Provides support across all NSF disciplinary areas
for young scientists to conduct research at academic research
institutions using high performance computing systems.
 
Supercomputer Centers--Provides scientists and engineers access
to high performance computers or supercomputers at four national
supercomputer centers. These facilities are dedicated to serving
long-term needs, including training for the use of advanced
computing by the academic research community. Facilities are
continually updated. Descriptions of facilities are available
from this division. Proposals for access should be directed to
the centers.

Networking and Communications Research and Infrastructure
 
Networking and Communications Research--Research in
communications and information theory, including coding, source
coding, multiuser theory, advanced concepts in signal
identification and tracking, and innovative approaches to
communications and storage such as combined modulation and coding
and the design of new algorithms for signal processing and signal
detection and parameter estimation. Research on networks,
especially very high-speed networks, including architectures,
management, protocols, fiber optic networks, security and
survivability, and internetworking.
 
NSFNET--Encourages and facilitates scholarly communication and
collaboration by providing widespread access to other
researchers, supercomputer centers, and unique resources through
use of wide area computer networks. Supports expansion, operation
and use of the NSFNET backbone connecting the NSF funded
supercomputer centers and midlevel networks. Assists state and
regional networks; and funds institutional connections, including
both universities and undergraduate colleges, to midlevel
networks. With indigenous networking efforts, jointly supports
link between NSFNET and academic/research support networks of
other nations. Provides overall coordination for the National
Research and Education Network (NREN). Supports promising
developmental and demonstration networking projects deriving from
networking and communications research.

Cross-Disciplinary Activities
 
Educational Infrastructure--Design, development, and testing of
innovative approaches for increasing the effectiveness of the
undergraduate learning experience in computer and information
science, computer engineering, or computational science. Provides
support for curriculum development, faculty enhancement,
development of software and other educational materials,
equipment acquisition and maintenance, necessary support staff,
and other appropriate costs.
 
Institutional Infrastructure--Support to enhance research
capabilities in computer and information science and engineering
by providing experimental research facilities, professional and
technical staff, and equipment maintenance costs. In addition to
the original Large-Scale element, this program also includes the
Small-Scale and Minority Institutions elements. Academic
institutions having an existing base for development, including
those with predominantly minority enrollments, are strongly
encouraged to discuss possible proposals with the program
director before submitting a proposal.
 
Instrumentation--Support for the purchase of special-purpose
equipment for research in all fields of computer and information
science and engineering. The equipment should be necessary for
the pursuit of specific research projects, be needed by more than
one project, and be the kind of equipment that would be difficult
to justify for one project alone. The total cost must be at least
$20,000. Significant cost-sharing is required (usually at least
one-third of the total cost). Proposal submission deadline is the
first Monday in August.
 
Research Initiation Awards--Provide an opportunity for tenured or
tenure-track faculty members in all areas of computer and
information science and engineering to initiate academic
research. Proposers compete for funding only with each other and
not with more experienced researchers who have had prior federal
research support. The goals of the program are to encourage
faculty to begin their research careers and to make an academic
research career more attractive. Individuals who have received
previous research support from a Federal agency are ineligible.
More information may be obtained from the relevant research
program director.

..stis file is nsf9180c
..expires with new edition
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or info@NSF (BITNET).
The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in the *text*
of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).