Subject: NSF General Publication
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 92 13:44 EST

Hi Paul,
   Please post to the NIH LIstserver as:
       NSFGRAND.920124
         Thanks.  Have a nice weekend.   Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF927 - Grand Challenge Applications Groups
              Opportunities in High Performance Computing and
              Communications
Type        : General Publication
NSF Contact : CISE
Date        : January 21, 1992

NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
 
OPPORTUNITIES IN HIGH PERFORMANCE
COMPUTING AND COMMUNICATIONS
 
a component of the U.S. High Performance Computing and
Communications Program
 
Fiscal Year 1992
 
Grand Challenge Applications Groups

The National Science Foundation (NSF) announces opportunities for
group_oriented research for Fiscal Year 1992 in connection with the
U.S. High Performance Computing and Communications (HPCC)
Program.  Six to eight proposals are expected to receive funding as
Grand Challenge Application Groups as a result of the opportunities
described in this initial announcement.
 
Activities supported under this announcement are expected to achieve
significant progress on Grand Challenge Applications - fundamental
problems in science and engineering, with broad economic and scientific
impact, whose solution could be advanced by applying high
performance computing techniques and resources.  This HPCC activity
will provide funding for multidisciplinary groups of scientists,
engineers, and mathematicians to apply emerging high performance
computing and communications systems to advance the solution of
diverse science and engineering problems.  The emphasis will be on
support for groups requiring HPCC capabilities, where such focused,
cross_disciplinary support is generally unavailable or difficult to obtain.
Any area of science and engineering supported by NSF is eligible for
funding under this solicitation.
 
Grand Challenge Applications Groups are expected to employ testbed
systems exploiting new and emerging computer and communications
architectures, to prepare the groundwork for the HPCC goal of sustained
teraflop computing on important application problems by the mid
1990's.  Projects funded through this effort will focus on the fusion of
disciplinary research with emerging high performance computing
environments and architectures, within the framework of the HPCC
program goals.  It is anticipated that projects will include aspects of
design of models, algorithms and software to fully realize the potential
of parallel, distributed and heterogeneous computing systems on Grand
Challenge Application problems.
 
These opportunities for support have been created through the
cooperation of disciplinary sub-activities within NSF and other federal
agencies participating in the HPCC program.  This Federal inter-agency
HPCC program seeks to expand U.S. technological leadership, speed the
pace of innovation, and spur gains in U.S. productivity and
competitiveness through advances in high performance computing and
computation.  The program responds to the opportunities for advances
inherent in the use of advanced computer models incorporating the basic
science of parallel processing and the improved productivity derived by
the interaction of people who are spatially separated sharing networked
access to information processing and computing resources.
 
Additional information on NSF HPCC activities in conjunction with the
inter-agency HPCC effort can be obtained from the NSF HPCC
Coordinators listed as contacts in this document.
 
Supported Activities
 
Proposers are encouraged to provide innovative approaches to
formulating Grand Challenge collaborations.  Among the activities that
are appropriate for support include: research time for individual
investigators, postdoctoral researchers, graduate students, HPCC
equipment, testbed development, access to high performance computing
systems, networking and communications, and salary for technical
support personnel.
 
Criteria for Review
 
All proposals to NSF are subject to the review criteria described in the
NSF brochure, Grants for Research and Education in Science and
Engineering  (GRESE), NSF 90_77.  Single copies of this brochure are
available at no cost from the NSF Forms and Publications Unit, (202)
357-7861, or via e-mail (Bitnet: pubs@nsf or Internet:
[email-masked]).  The review criteria in GRESE deal with: quality
of scientific effort proposed; competence of investigators; relevance of
research; and impact on infrastructure.  Proposals for Grand Challenge
Applications Groups will also be subject to specific criteria that reflect
the objectives of the inter-agency HPCC program, including;
 
o      potential impact in a critical area of science and engineering;
 
o      development of new computational techniques for high
       performance systems with potential benefit for the broader
       scientific community;
 
o      record of accomplishment and potential for advancing frontiers
       of high        performance parallel or heterogeneous computing
       environments;
 
o      extent to which the research proposed provides a testbed for the
       deployment of new high performance computing and
       communications systems;
 
o      educational activities to increase the research participation and
       training of students and researchers.
 
Other factors include the potential for leverage of resources and for
technology transfer.  Thus, budgetary considerations, institutional
participation and cost sharing, and cooperation with industry and
national centers may play a role in final decisions.
 
Proposal Submission, Review and Award Processes
 
Review of proposals will be coordinated across the Foundation, and will
involve programs related to areas of a proposed project.  Proposals
reviewed under this solicitation that overlap other inter-agency or NSF
initiatives such as Global Change or Advanced Materials and
Processing, will be referred to these activities for joint consideration.
 
A combination of mail, panel, and site visit review may be used as
needed.  Awards are planned to be jointly funded between the programs
involved, and coordinated among Federal inter-agency HPCC programs.
 
Awards are planned to be in the range of $300,000 to $800,000 per year
for a period of three to five years, but there are no firm restrictions on
size or duration.  The number and size of awards will be based on the
quality and potential impact of the proposals reviewed, and the
availability of funds.
 
Letters of Intent
 
Proposers interested in submitting a proposal must submit a letter of
intent to NSF by March 9, 1992, preferably via electronic mail.  Use the
address [email-masked] (Internet) or hpccgrps@nsf (Bitnet).
Acknowledgments of receipt will be sent by March 16, 1992.
 
Written letters of intent may be made to the attention of:
 
HPCC Coordinator
NSF, Room 306.
1800 G Street, N.W.
Washington D.C.  20550
 
The letters of intent should contain:  type of group activity proposed;
outline of project plan; names and disciplines of senior investigators
including a brief biographical sketch; e-mail address for information
distribution; institutions involved (if more than one); and indication of
resources needed.  The letter should not exceed five pages in length.
 
As the purpose of the letters is to permit NSF to plan for the evaluation
of the submitted proposals and to provide feedback to potential
investigators, it will not be necessary to have secured any participant or
institutional agreements at this stage.
 
Proposal Deadlines
 
Ten copies of final proposals, including one copy bearing original
signatures, must be mailed to:
 
HPCC Coordinator
NSF, Room 306.
1800 G Street, N.W.
Washington D.C.  20550
 
Only one copy of NSF Form 1225, Information about Principal
Investigator/Project Director, should be sent, attached to the original
signed copy.
 
Proposals submitted must be:
 
i)     received by NSF no later than April 30, 1992;
ii)    be postmarked no later than five (5) days prior to the deadline
       date; or
iii)   be sent via commercial overnight mail no later than two (2) days
       prior to the deadline date to be considered for an award.
 
If the institution has the capability of submitting proposals
electronically, only a single signed copy need be submitted by mail.
NSF will provide information describing the electronic submission
process in response to the March letter of intent.  Proposals submitted
electronically will be dated when they enter the NSF system.
 
Proposals submitted in response to this announcement of opportunities
should be prepared and submitted in accordance with the guidelines
provided in the NSF brochure, GRESE.  Proposals not conforming to
these guidelines will be returned to the proposer.
 
The review process will be concluded by mid-summer 1992, with
announcement planned for September 30, 1992.
 
Inquiries
 
For details on the U.S. High Performance Computing and
Communications Program see the OSTP FCCSET report by the
Committee on Physical, Mathematical, and Engineering Sciences
entitled "Grand Challenges: High Performance Computing and
Communications."   Copies can be obtained from the Directorate for
Computer and Information Science and Engineering, NSF, 1800 G
Street, NW, Room 306, Washington DC 20550.
 
Inquiries relative to this announcement should be addressed via
electronic mail to:     [email-masked] (Internet) or hpccgrps@nsf
(Bitnet).
 
Written inquiries may be made to the attention of HPCC Coordinator at:
 
NSF, Room 306.
1800 G Street, N.W.
Washington D.C.  20550
 
Related Computational Science and Engineering Activities
 
The HPCC program at NSF is coordinated across all disciplinary
research directorates to encourage joint review and support of proposals
with ongoing computational science and engineering programs.  All
NSF disciplines will continue to support base activities in computational
science and engineering research within their disciplinary research
programs in addition to their involvement with this Grand Challenge
Applications Group activity.
 
CONTACT PERSONS AND RELATED ACTIVITIES
 
General information on the HPCC program may be obtained from the
NSF coordinator; particulars on a specific directorate's involvement
from the relevant directorate level coordinator; and advice on specific
projects from the appropriate disciplinary program manager.  The NSF
Directorates are: BIO (Biological Sciences), CISE (Computer &
Information Science & Engineering), EHR (Education and Human
Resources), ENG (Engineering), GEO (Geosciences), MPS
(Mathematical and Physical Sciences), and SBES (Social, Behavioral
and Economic Sciences)
 
NSF HPCC Coordinator: Melvyn Ciment, (202) 357-7936,
mciment@nsf
BIO HPCC Coordinator: John Wooley, (202) 357-9880, jwooley@nsf
CISE HPCC Coordinator: Richard Hirsh, (202) 357-9776, rhirsh@nsf
EHR HPCC Coordinator: Herbert Wylen, (202) 357-7751, hwylen@nsf
ENG HPCC Coordinator: Irene Peden, (202) 357-9618, ipeden@nsf
GEO HPCC Coordinator: Clifford Jacobs, (202) 357-9889, cjacobs@nsf
MPS HPCC Coordinator: Judith Sunley, (202) 357-9669, jsunley@nsf
SBES HPCC Coordinator: Paul Chapin, (202) 357-7696, pchapin@nsf
 
Selected Computational Science and Engineering Activities
 
Computational Biology, DBS: Peter Arzberger, (202) 357-7652,
parzberg@nsf
Computational Chemistry, MPS: Richard Hilderbrandt, (202) 357-7951,
rhilderb@nsf
Computational Engineering, ENG: George Lea, (202) 357-9618,
glea@nsf
Computational Materials, MPS: G. Bruce Taggart, (202) 357-9789,
gtaggart@nsf
Computational Mathematics, MPS: Alvin Thaler, (202) 357-3691,
thaler@nsf
Computational Physics, MPS: Richard Isaacson, (202) 357-3464,
isaacson@nsf
Information, Robotics & Intelligent Systems, CISE: Y.T. Chien, (202)
357-9572, ytchien@nsf
New Technologies, CISE: Merrell Patrick, (202) 357-9778,
mpatrick@nsf
Numeric, Symbolic and Geometric Computation, CISE: Kamal Abdali,
(202)357-7345, kabdali@nsf
Theory of Computing, CISE: Dana Richards, (202) 357-7345,
richards@nsf

 
The National Science Foundation (NSF) provides awards for research in
the sciences and engineering.  The awardee is wholly responsible for the
conduct of such research and preparation of the results for publication.
The Foundation, therefore, does not assume responsibility for such
findings and their interpretation.
 
The Foundation welcomes proposals on behalf of all qualified scientists
and engineers, and strongly encourages women, minorities and persons
with disabilities to compete fully in any of the the research and
research-related programs described in this document.
 
In accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and NSF policies,
no person on grounds of race, color, age, sex, national origin, or
disability shall be excluded  from participation in, denied the benefits
of, or be subject to discrimination under, any program or activity
receiving financial assistance from the National Science Foundation.
 
Facilitation Awards for Handicapped Scientists and Engineers (FAH)
provide funding for special assistance or equipment to enable persons
with disabilities (investigators and other staff, including student research
assistants) to work on an NSF project.  See the FAH program
announcement (NSF Publication 84-62 (rev 5/87), or contact the FAH
Coordinator in the Directorate for Education and Human Resources.
 
The Foundation has TDD (Telephonic Device for the Deaf) capability,
which enables individuals with hearing impairment to communicate with
the Division of Personnel and Management about NSF programs,
employment, or general information.  The telephone number is (202)
357-7492.   (202) 357-7492
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance category 47.070, Computer and Information Science and
Engineering.
 
Electronic Dissemination
 
You can get information fast through STIS (Science and Technology
Information System), NSF's online publishing system, described in NSF
91-10 (Revised 10/4/91) the "STIS flyer" (elsewhere in this publication).
To get more copies of the flyer, call the  NSF Publications Section at
(202) 357-7861.  For an electronic copy, send an e-mail message to
[email-masked] (Internet) or stisinfo@nsf (Bitnet).
 
Ordering by Electronic Mail
 
If you are a user of electronic mail and have access to either Bitnet or
Internet, you may order publications electronically.  Bitnet users should
address requests to pubs@nsf.  Internet users should send requests to
[email-masked].  In your request, include the NSF publication number
and title, number of copies, your name, and a complete mailing address.
Publications will be mailed with 2 days of receipt of request.

NSF 92-7
 
OMB 3145-0058
P.T. 34
K.W. 1004000

..stis file is nsf927
..expires with new edition
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).