Subject: NSF Program Guideline
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], ubsims@ecsvas
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 91 15:39 EST

Hi Paul,
    Another one to be posted to the NIH Listserver.  Please post this
as:  NSFRCDev.911122
                    Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF91126--Combined Research-Curriculum Development
              in Technological Areas of National Importance
Type        : Program Guideline
NSF Contact : ENG
Date        : November 15, 1991

 
 
COMBINED RESEARCH-CURRICULUM
DEVELOPMENT IN TECHNOLOGICAL
AREAS OF NATIONAL IMPORTANCE
____________________________

DIRECTORATE FOR ENGINEERING
 
NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION

 
 
OBJECTIVE OF THE PROGRAM
 
  The Divisions of Electrical and Communications Systems (ECS) and
Engineering Infrastructure Development (EID) of the National
Science Foundation's Directorate for Engineering announce a new
focus on innovative, combined research-curriculum development in
technological areas of national importance.
 
  The rapid changes in today's technologies often exceed evolution
in academic curriculum development.  Yet the Nation's economic
well-being and job opportunities often lie in these very areas
where there may be a notable lack of courses, textbooks,
instructional modules or laboratories, or even involvement in
curriculum change on the part of faculty researchers.
 
  The objective of this program is to stimulate classroom
involvement of research-oriented faculty to address this
development.

                         RESEARCH AREAS
 
  No specific research areas are defined for proposals under this
program.
 
  However, since the primary focus of the effort is Electrical and
Communications Systems, suggested topics might include, but not be
limited to:

     o     electronic/photonic packaging
 
     o     opto-electronics and optical communications
 
     o     semiconductor processing and manufacturing
 
     o     sensing and control technologies for structural
    applications
 
     o     intelligent control of dynamic systems,
           emphasizing learning and adaptation
 
     o     power systems operations
 
     o     micro-electromechanical systems
 
     o     algorithm development for "Grand Challenges" modelling
           problems*
 
               EMPHASES IN CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT
 
  In addition to exploring research areas of critical technological
importance, proposals must show how the results of such research
will be more fully integrated into curricula.  In this connection,
proposals should emphasize:
 
     o     The formation of small groups of faculty members
           (teams),possibly combined with graduate and
           undergraduate students and others.  As part of this
           team, industrial partners, professional society
           colleagues, national laboratory participants, etc. are
           strongly encouraged, where appropriate, to join in
           creating innovative concepts for integrating research
           into curriculum development.  Investigators involved in
           NSF centers and coalitions are also welcome to submit
           proposals.
 
     o     Curriculum development focused on senior undergraduate
           and introductory graduate courses.
 
     o      Cross-disciplinary activities, as long as they involve
            NSF Engineering Divisions only and include an ECS
            component.  Both experimental and analytical work are
            eligible.
 
______________________
*"GRAND CHALLENGES: High Performance Computing and Communications,"
a report by the Committee on Physical, Mathematical, and
Engineering Sciences of the Federal Coordinating Council for
Science, Engineering and Technology.  For copies contact Albert B.
Harvey, ECS (see below under the section "Inquiries").

All proposals must include a:
 
     o     Statement of commitment from the institution and
           academic departments involved regarding utilization of
           the curriculum component, and a
 
     o     Plan for disseminating the results of the curriculum
           development effort throughout the academic community.

 
PROPOSAL GUIDELINES AND FORMAT
 
     1.     General: Proposals must follow the guidelines set forth
          in the NSF publication Grants for Research and Education
          in Science and Engineering, (GRESE, NSF 90-77, rev.8/90).
 
          Unless specified otherwise in this Announcement,
          the procedures and conditions stated in that publication
          will apply.

     2.     Submission:   Eleven copies of the proposal must be
          sent directly to:
 
            Proposal Processing Unit - Room 223
            NSF 91-126
            1800 G Street N.W.
            Washington D.C.  20550
 
        On the cover sheet, NSF Form 1207, insert
        "ENG/EID" as the recipient NSF organization.
 
        It is requested that an additional information
        copy be sent to EID.  The address for EID is:
 
               Engineering Infrastructure Development Division
               Attention: Research-Curriculum Program
                  National Science Foundation
               1800 G Street N.W. (1776 Building)
               Washington, DC 20550

    3.     Cost Sharing:  Active participation, including cost
           sharing, by industry or others is encouraged but not
         required.

     4.     Duration, Number, and Size of Awards:  The duration of
            these awards will be up to three years. Approximately
            six to ten awards are planned, ranging from $100,000
            to $500,000, in Fiscal Year 1992.  The larger awards
            might be made based on efforts in multidisciplinary
            areas or proposals involving instructional equipment.
            No decision has been made about new awards in
            subsequent years.

     5.     Review: A two-phase review process will be used
            consisting of disciplinary Division merit review for
            the research component, followed by a separate review
            for the educational component.  Each proposal will be
            evaluated on its impact on curriculum development,
            research merit, and integration of its various
            disciplinary components.  In addition, all reviewers
            will be asked to assess the potential for each proposal
            to achieve the overall objective of the program.
 
     6.     Deadline:  Proposals must be received in NSF no later
           than January 31, 1992.  Late proposals will be returned.

                           INQUIRIES
 
  Inquiries regarding the educational component of any proposal
should be directed to Frank D. Draper, EID, [email-masked]
(202-786-9634).
 
  Inquiries regarding the research component should be directed to
Engineering Directorate program director(s) whose program(s) best
overlap with the proposal, or to Albert B. Harvey, ECS,
[email-masked] (202-357-9618).

                     ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
 
  The publication Grants for Research and Education in Science and
Engineering (GRESE, NSF 90-77) is available at no cost from:
 
          Forms and Publications Unit
          Room 232
          National Science Foundation
          Washington, DC 20550

  You can get fast information on this and other NSF programs
through STIS (Science and Technology Information System), NSF's
online publishing system, as described in NSF-91-10, the "STIS
flyer." To get a copy of the flyer, call the NSF Publications
Section at 202-357-7861.  For an electronic copy, send an E-mail
message to  [email-masked] (Internet) or STISFLY@NSF (Bitnet).
 
  If you are a user of electronic mail and have access to either
BITNET or Internet, you may prefer to order publications
electronically.  BITNET users should address requests to pub@nsf.
Internet users should send requests to pubs@nsf.  In your request,
include the NSF publication number and title, number of copies,
your name, and a complete mailing address.  Publications will be
mailed within 2 days of receipt of request.
 
  This program is listed in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance under category 47.041, Engineering Grants.
 
  The Foundation provides awards for research and educational
activities in the sciences and engineering.  The awardee is wholly
responsible for the conduct of such activities and preparation of
results of publication.  The Foundation, therefore, does not assume
responsibility for such findings or their interpretation.
 
  In accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and NSF
policies, no persons on grounds of race, color, age, sex, national
origin, or disability shall be excluded from participation in,
denied benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any
program or activity receiving financial assistance from the
National Science Foundation.
 
  The Foundation welcomes proposals on behalf of all qualified
scientists and engineers, and strongly encourages women,
minorities, and persons with disabilities to compete fully in any
of the research and research-related programs described in this
document.
 
  NSF has TDD (Telephone Device for the Deaf) capability which
enables individuals with hearing impairments to communicate with
the Division of Personnel and Management for information relating
to NSF programs, employment, or general information.  This number
is (202) 357-7492.
 
  Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers with
Disabilities provides funding for special assistance or equipment
to enable persons with disabilities (investigators and other staff)
to work on an NSF project.  See the announcement (NSF 91-54), or
contact the program coordinator (202) 357-7461.

 
 
..stis file is nsf91126
..expires July 1992
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).