Subject: NSF Program Guideline
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 91 15:34 EST

Hi Paul,
  Please post this to the NIH Listserver as:
    NSFSOCIOLOGY.911122
                                  Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF91115--SOCIOLOGY PROGRAM
Type        : Program Guideline
NSF Contact : BBS
Date        : November 21, 1991
Replaces    : NSF89-12

 
SOCIOLOGY
PROGRAM
__________________________
 
Program Statement
DIVISION OF SOCIAL AND
ECONOMIC SCIENCE

PROGRAM OBJECTIVES

The Sociology Program of the National Science Foundation supports
research on problems of human social organization, demography, and
processes of individual and institutional change.  The program
encourages theoretically focused empirical investigations aimed at
improving the explanation of social processes and social structure.
Research topics include, but are not limited to organizations and
organizational behavior, population dynamics, environmental
sociology, social movements, race and ethnic relations,
stratification and mobility, social networks, sociology of gender,
social interaction, sociology of culture, and comparative
sociology.

CRITERIA
 
In its Grants for Research and Education in Science and Engineering
(NSF 90-77), the National Science Foundation lists four criteria
for the selection of research projects: (1) research performance
competence, (2) intrinsic merit of the research, (3) utility or
relevance of the research, and (4) effect of the research on the
infrastructure of science and engineering.  In assessing the second
of these, intrinsic merit, four components are key to securing
support from the Sociology Program: (1) the issues investigated
must be theoretically grounded, (2) the research should be based
on empirical observation or be subject to empirical validation, (3)
the research design must be appropriate to the questions asked, and
(4) the proposed research must advance our understanding of social
processes or social structures.
 
The Sociology Program recognizes the theoretical and methodological
diversity of the discipline of Sociology and invites proposals for
basic sociological research regardless of theoretical perspective
and/or research methodology.

PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
 
PROPOSAL FORMAT AND SUBMISSION
 
The review and decision-making process for submitted proposals
takes about six months.  It includes evaluations by outside
reviewers selected for their expertise in addition to the
recommendations of an advisory panel that meets twice each year.

The proposal should be organized according to the guidelines given
in NSF 90-77 (Grants for Research and Education in Science and
Engineering).  The project description should not exceed the
equivalent of 15 single-spaced pages.

Ordering by Electronic Mail
 
If you are a user of electronic mail and have access to either
BITNET or Internet, you may order this and other NSF publications
electronically.  BITNET users should address requests to pubs@nsf.
Internet users should send request to [email-masked].  In your
request, include the NSF publication number and title, number of
copies, your name, and a complete mailing address.  Publications
will be mailed within 2 days of receipt of request.  (You can also
order by phone:  202-357-7861.)

Target dates for proposal submission are January 15 and August 15.
The target date for submission of proposals for Doctoral
Dissertation Research Improvement Grants is October 15.  Copies of
the formal proposal should be submitted to:
 
                National Science Foundation
                Proposal Processing Unit,
                Room 223
                Attn.  Sociology Program/NSF 91-115
                1800 G Street NW
                Washington  DC 20550
 
One copy of the proposal must be signed by the principal
investigator/project director and an official authorized to commit
the organization in business and financial affairs.  In addition,
one additional copy should be sent directly to the Sociology
Program.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
 
STIS (the Science and Technology Information System) is an
electronic dissemination system which provides easy access to
National Science Foundation publications.

 
 
                               -3-

 
For more about the system.....
 
            Dr. STIS
            National Science Foundation
            Office of Information Systems
            1800 G Street, NW (Room 401)
            Washington, D.C.  20550
 
            Internet:  [email-masked]
            Bitnet  :  stis@nsf
            Phone   :  (202) 357-7555
            Fax     :  (202) 357-7745
            TDD     :  (202) 357-7492

For further information about the Sociology Program write or call:
 
                Sociology Program
                SES, Room 336
                National Science Foundation
                1800 G Street NW
                Washington DC 20550
 
                Electronic Mail: [email-masked]
                Telephone:  (202) 357-7802
                Telefax:    (202) 357-0357

 
--------------------------------------------------------
Catalogue of Federal Domestic Assistance Number 47.051
(Biological, Behavioral and Social Sciences)

 

GENERAL PROPOSAL AND AWARD GUIDELINES
 
The Division of Social and Economic Science welcomes proposals from
all qualified scientists and engineers, and strongly encourages
women, minorities, and persons with disabilities to compete fully
in any of the research and research-related programs described in
this document.  Investigators at small colleges or predominantly
undergraduate institutions are encouraged to apply.  Research
participation by undergraduate and graduate students is supported
to the extent possible.
 
Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers with Disabilities
are available on research grants for special assistance or
equipment to enable physically disabled scientists or students to
participate in the research. See the announcement (NSF 84-62) or
contact the Social and Economic Science Program Officers for more
information.
 
In accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and NSF
policies, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied
the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program
or activity receiving financial assistance from the National
Science Foundation on the grounds of race, color, age, sex,
national origin, or disability.
 
NSF has TDD (Telephone Device for the Deaf) capability which
enables individuals with hearing impairment to communicate with
the Division of Personnel and Management for information on NSF
programs, employment, or general information.  This number is (202)
357-7492.
 
NSF awardees are wholly responsible for the preparation of the
results of their research for publication.  The Foundation does
not assume responsibility for such findings nor for their
interpretation.
 
The Division of Social and Economic Science has a data archiving
policy for data sets produced under its awards.  The purpose of
this policy is to advance the social sciences and openness in
science through an organized mechanism of data sharing.  The policy
requires researchers to commit themselves to placing their data
sets in fully cleaned and documented form in a data archive or
library within one year of the expiration of an award.

OMB 3145-005
PT 34
KW 0417000
NSF 91-115
(replaces NSF 89-12)

..stis file is nsf91115
..expires with new edition
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).