Subject: PA 91-14 NIH Guide l2/7/90
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 90 14:59 EST

Hi Paul,
   This is the fourth item coming to you for posting to the NIH
Listserver.  Please post this one as PA-91-14.901207.
    Thanks.
           Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
NATIONAL HEART, LUNG, AND BLOOD INSTITUTE
 
Short-Term Training for Minority Students Program
 
PA:  PA-91-14
 
P.T. 44, FF; K.W. 0720005, 0715032, 0715040, 0715165
 
Application Receipt Date:  February 8, 1991
 
I. OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
 
The Short-Term Training for Minority Students Program is
intended to:
 
1.  Provide minority undergraduate students, graduate
students, and students in health professional schools
exposure to opportunities inherent in research careers in
areas relevant to cardiovascular, pulmonary, and hematologic*
diseases.
 
* Within NHLBI, the term "hematologic" covers research on
thrombosis and hemostasis, immunohematology, blood cell
disorders, sickle cell disease, blood resources including
blood component and derivative therapy, blood substitutes
and blood resource management, aspects of AIDS-products in
AIDS prevention and treatment, and AIDS-related bone marrow
and hematologic disorders.  Other Institutes of the NIH are
responsible for research on disorders of white cells,
including the leukemias and other blood malignancies, and
basic immunology related to the lymphoid system.  Therefore
NHLBI cannot provide support for such studies.
 
2.  Attract highly qualified minority students into
biomedical and behavioral research careers in the areas of
heart, lung, or blood disorders.
 
3.  Bolster the already short supply of qualified minority
investigators.
 
II.  BACKGROUND
 
There is a need for minority students to participate in
research activities to develop their investigative talents
and increase the pool of accomplished minority biomedical
investigators.  Of the approximately 3,760 life science
doctoral degrees awarded in science in 1987, only 163 of
these were awarded to underrepresented minority individuals
and less than 3 percent of individuals holding a Ph.D.
degree in science are Black, Hispanic, native American,
Alaskan natives, or Pacific Islanders.
The 820 Black graduates of medical schools in 1987 represent
5 percent of total medical school graduates and only 2
percent of medical school faculty in the United States are
Black.  While there is strong interest in the scientific
community in attracting minority students into research
careers, few minority students opt for science degrees and
research careers, and few minority graduates of health
professional schools go on to investigative careers.  The
shortage of qualified minority investigators in research
positions may even exacerbate the situation due to a lack of
visible role models for students.
 
There are existing programs at the National Institutes of
Health that are designed to answer the need for more
minority investigators.  These include the Minority
Biomedical Research Support Program, the Minority Access to
Research Careers Program, the NHLBI Minority Institutional
Research Training Grant and Minority School Faculty
Development Award Programs, and the Minority Research
Supplement Program.  While these programs are successful in
meeting their specific objectives and career development
goals, the need to attract minority students to research
careers continues to exist.  This NHLBI Short-Term Training
for Minority Students program is designed to provide
opportunities for underrepresented minority students at the
undergraduate and graduate level to become exposed to
biomedical research in areas relevant to cardiovascular,
pulmonary, and hematologic diseases through a short-term
research experience.
 
Authority:
 
Under authority of Section 487 of the Public Health Service
Act as amended (42 USC 288), the National Heart, Lung, and
Blood Institute awards National Research Service Award
(NRSA) Short-term Training for Students in Health Professional
Schools (STSHPS) institutional grants.  These grants, by
supporting short-term research training experiences of two
to three months, expose talented students in health
professional schools to the opportunities inherent in a
research career.  The Short-Term Training for Minority
Students program is based on the STSHPS program and is
designed to help ameliorate the shortage of minority
biomedical and biobehavioral investigators in the areas of
heart, lung, and blood diseases by attracting highly
qualified minority students in their developmental stages,
increasing their awareness of heart, blood vessel, lung, and
blood diseases, and acquainting them with career
opportunities in biomedical and behavioral research.
 
III.  ELIGIBILITY
 
A. Applicant Institutions
 
Domestic non-federal private or public nonprofit
institutions or organizations engaged in health-related
research may apply for grants.  The applicant institution
must have the available research facilities, personnel, and
support for the program in either the cardiovascular,
pulmonary, or hematologic disease area.  Minority
institutions with staff and resources in these research
areas are encouraged to apply.  Only one application per
institution may be submitted for a given receipt date and an
institution may have only one active NHLBI short-term
Training for Minority Students award at any time.
 
B. Trainees
 
The applicant institution will be responsible for the
selection and appointment of trainees.  Trainees should have
successfully completed at least one undergraduate year at an
accredited school or university or have successfully
completed one semester at a school of medicine, optometry,
osteopathy, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy,
public health, or an institution with an accredited graduate
program, prior to participating in the program.  These
grants are intended to introduce students to research that
would not otherwise be available through their regular
course of studies.  For graduate students, this may include
minority graduate students in programs such as mathematics, who
would not normally be exposed to biomedical research or
minority graduate students who may need a specialized
research experience to supplement their normal graduate
education.  Individuals holding Ph.D., M.D., D.V.M. or
equivalent doctoral degrees in the health sciences are not
eligible.
 
Trainees must be citizens or noncitizen nationals of the
United States or must have been lawfully admitted for
permanent residency (i.e., in possession of the Alien
Registration Receipt Card I-551 or I-151) at the time of
appointment.  Individuals on temporary or student visas are
not eligible.
 
Trainees need not be affiliated with the applicant
institution.  The applicant's program can be designed to
include research experiences for qualified minority
individuals at the applicant institution but applicants are
strongly encouraged to propose a program that includes a
number of individuals from other institutions, schools,
colleges, or universities.  The only requirement for student
selection is that the trainees fulfill the above referenced
eligibility requirements.
 
IV.  PROGRAM ELEMENTS
 
Each institution is invited to develop an application that
is best suited to its own strengths and characteristics.
Applicant institutions need not propose a program that
encompasses all types of students, i.e., undergraduate,
graduate, and health professional students, but specific
types of students should not be excluded without careful
consideration and justification.  The goal is to identify a
cadre of minority students with the potential to pursue
careers in biomedical and biobehavioral research in the
areas of heart, lung, and blood diseases and provide the
students with a research training experience that may
stimulate interest in pursuing a research career.
 
The training program director should have a demonstrated
record of success in conducting research and in working with
research trainees.  Each application should describe a plan
for widely advertising the program to ensure active
competition for appointments.  Special attention should be
given to the recruitment of individuals from minority groups
that now are underrepresented nationally in the biomedical
and behavioral sciences, i.e., Blacks, Hispanics, and native
Americans, Alaskan natives, and Pacific Islanders.
 
The overall training is not necessarily restricted to
activities in a single discipline or department but must be
limited to research activities in the areas of
cardiovascular, pulmonary, and hematologic diseases.  The
choice of participating training sites and mentors should be
carefully described, to show that the institution's best
environments and role models have been selected.  It is
expected that students will be assigned to the institution's
strongest research and training programs that may involve
basic or clinical research or a combination of both.
 
Each institution will be expected to encourage among the
trainees a sense of belonging to a community of scientists.
Among the methods that may be used is providing a special
seminar series addressing such topics as research
methodology, instrumentation, or experimental design.  A
plan for evaluating the impact of the program on the
institution and the trainee is required.
 
Grants will be awarded to support no fewer than 4, and not
more than 24 trainees per budget period, based on a
full-time three-month appointment.  A trainee may be
appointed for only one three-month period during a budget
period, but may be appointed for more than one budget
period, e.g., two successive summer research experiences.  A
student may be appointed, in special circumstances, to more
than one three-month period during a budget period, provided
prior approval is obtained from the staff of the NHLBI.
All research training
must be full-time during the specific training sequence.  It
is expected that most programs will be designed to provide a
summer research experience but other innovative program
designs and time schedules will be considered.
 
V. PROVISIONS OF THE AWARD
 
A. Period of Support
 
Institutions applying for new or competitive continuation
(renewal) Short-Term Training for Minority Students grants
may request up to five years of support.
 
B. Trainee Expenses
 
The stipend level for trainees is $708 per month.  Stipends
may be supplemented by an institution from non-Federal
funds.  No Federal funds may be used for stipend
supplementation unless specifically authorized under the
terms of the program from which the supplemental funds are
derived.  Under no circumstances may the conditions of
stipend supplementation detract from or prolong the
training.
 
C. Training Related Expenses
 
Up to $125 per month for each participating student may be
requested to defray other costs of training such as staff
salaries, consultant costs, and research supplies.  In
addition, up to $700 per trainee may be requested to cover
domestic trainee travel to and from the training site.
Trainee tuition and fees, where necessary to the research
training, must be covered by the Training Related Expenses.
 
D. Indirect Costs
 
Indirect costs will be awarded based on 8 percent of total
direct costs with no exclusions from the base for training-
related expenses.
 
E. Trainee Reporting Requirements
 
A Statement of Appointment of Trainee form (PHS 2271) will
be required to be submitted at the start of each trainee
appointment and reappointment.  Individuals trained under
this program will not be required to sign an NRSA Payback
Agreement or submit an NRSA Termination Notice (PHS 416-7).
Applicants for competitive renewal applications will be
required to provide information concerning past trainees in
the program, the accomplishments of the program, and whether
students supported by the program have pursued research
careers.
 
F. Other Terms and Conditions
 
Except as modified by this announcement, the terms and
conditions in the National Research Service Awards,
Guidelines for Individual Awards - Institutional Grants
(January 6, l984), as amended, will be applicable to grants
made under this program.
 
VI.  REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
All applications responding to this announcement will be
reviewed for scientific and technical merit by the Research
Training Review Committee of the Division of Extramural
Affairs, NHLBI, followed by a second level review by the
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Advisory Council.
 
Review Criteria
 
The factors to be considered in the evaluation of the
proposed training program are:
 
o  Design of the proposed training program and the
   qualifications of the program director and
   participating faculty;
 
o  Adequacy of facilities, environment, and resources for the
   proposed research training;
 
o  Methods of recruiting, selecting and assigning minority
   students;
 
o  Commitment of the institution and participating faculty to
   the goals of the training program;
 
o  Procedures for evaluation of the effectiveness of the
   program and the impact of the program on the students
   involved.
 
VII.  APPLICATION PROCEDURE
 
Submit applications on Form PHS-398 (Rev.  10/88), Application
for Public Health Service Grant using the Institutional Research
Service Award substitute pages LL-NN.  This form is available at
the applicant institution's office of sponsored research.  An
application may also be obtained from the three program offices
of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute listed below.
When submitting the application, identify the Short-Term Training
for Minority Students Program, PA-91-14, on the face page in line
2.  Special instructions for preparing the application can be
obtained from the program offices of the National Heart, Lung,
and Blood Institute listed below.
 
The RFA label (found in the 10/88 revision of application form
PHS 398) must be affixed to the bottom of the face page of the
original copy of the application.  Failure to use this label
could result in delayed processing of your application such that
it will not reach the review committee in time for review.
 
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the following office
prior to application preparation:

              Executive Secretary
              Research Training Review Committee
              Division of Extramural Affairs
              National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
              National Institutes of Health
              Westwood Building, Room 550
              Bethesda, MD  20892

Applications
 
Send the completed application and four (4) signed exact
photocopies by the announced receipt date to:
 
               Division of Research Grants
               National Institutes of Health
               Room 240, Westwood Building
               Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Two additional copies of the application should be sent
to the Executive Secretary of the Research Training Review
Committee listed above.
 
Program Offices
 
Information regarding this program and guidelines for
preparing applications may be obtained from one of the
following:
 
John Fakunding, Ph.D.
Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 3C04
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1724
 
Helena Mishoe, Ph.D.
Division of Blood Diseases and Resources
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 504D
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6931
 
Sydney Parker, Ph.D.
Division of Lung Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 640A
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7668
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance numbers 93.837-93.839.  Awards will be made under
the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title III,
Section 487 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 288) and
administered under PHS grant policies and Federal
Regulations at 42 CFR Part 66.  This program is not subject
to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive
Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.