Subject: NSF Program Guideline
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 92 10:05 EST

Hi Paul,
   Please post to the NIH LIstserver as:
    PAJAPAN.920124
                  Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF90144 - Japan
NSF Contact : INT
Type        : Program Guideline
Date        : April 12, 1991
 
Keywords    : P.T. 08, 16, 22, 26, 34, 48
              Loc: 0112070
              K.W. 0400000 0410001 0600000 1000000 1004026
 
JAPAN
Program Announcement
 
Awards for:
 
Long-term Research Stays
Short-term Visits for Collaborative Research
U.S.-Japan Seminars
State-of-the-Art Reviews
Japanese-Language Study
Japanese-Language Curriculum Development
Summer Institute in Japan
 
by
 
United States Researchers in Science and Engineering
and
NACSIS:  NSF Gateway to Japan's University-Based National Science
Information System
 
Division of International Programs
National Science Foundation
Washington, D.C.  20550
 
Who May Apply
 
The Foundation welcomes applications to the Japan Program from
all qualified scientists and engineers, whether working in
government, academia, or industry.  Because of the long-term
purposes of these awards, all persons receiving support through
NSF's Japan Program must be entitled to reside permanently in the
United States.  (NSF nomination to the Japan Society for the
Promotion of Science Programsee p. 6 belowpresently requires U.S.
citizenship.)
 
NSF strongly encourages women, minorities, and persons with
disabilities to compete fully for these forms of support.  NSF
provides funding for special assistance or equipment to enable
persons with disabilities to accept NSF research awards.  Ask for
publication 84-62.  NSF has TDD (Telephonic Device for the Deaf)
to enable individuals with hearing impairments to communicate
with the Division of Personnel and Management for information
about NSF programs.  The telephone number is (202) 357-7492.
 
In accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and NSF
policies, no person on grounds of race, color, age, sex, national
origin, or disability shall be excluded from participation in,
denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any
program or activity receiving financial assistance from the
National Science Foundation.
 
The Foundation provides awards for research in the sciences and
engineering.  The awardee is wholly responsible for the conduct
of such research and preparation of the results for publication.
The Foundation, therefore, does not assume responsibility for
such findings or their interpretation.
 
Where To Submit
 
Each proposal, in the number of copies required, should be sent
to:
 
      Proposal Processing Unit, Room 223
      National Science Foundation
      1800 G Street, N.W.
      Washington, D.C.  20550
 
Letters of reference should be directed to the address below.
 
Inquiries
 
If after reviewing the information in this publication you have
specific questions, please contact NSF's Japan Program staff at
the following address:
 
      Japan Program, Room V-501
      Division of International Programs
      National Science Foundation
      Washington, D.C.  20550
      Tel:     (202)     653-5862
      Fax:     (202)     653-5929
      Electronic mail:  [email-masked]  (InterNet) or
      NSFJinfo@nsf        (BitNet)
 
Catalogue of Federal Domestic Assistance Number 47.053
Scientific, Technological, and International Affairs
 
NSF's Japan Program
 
Overview
 
Types of Activities Supported
 
The Foundation's Japan Program encourages U.S. scientists
and engineers to submit proposals to  compete for support
for the following activities:
 
     Activity      Description                                Pages
 
1. Long-term          Sojourns of six to 24 months at university, government,
   research stays     or corporate laboratories in Japan       3-7
 
2. Short-term         Stays of up to six months in Japan as part of a
   visits             collaborative research project           8-9
 
3. U.S.-Japan         bilateral  seminars                    10-11
 
4. State-of-the-      Surveys of Japanese research in specific
   art  reviews       disciplines, with emphasis on identifying and
                      reporting on opportunities in Japan for U.S.
                      researchers to advance their work      12-13
 
5. Japanese language study                                   14-15
 
6. Curriculum         The creation of curricula and course materials for
   development        teaching the Japanese language to scientists and
                      engineers                                15
 
7. Summer Institute in Japan for graduate students in science and
   engineering                                              16-17
 
In addition, the Foundation provides U.S. scientists and engineers
free on-line access to NACSIS, the science data bases associated
with Japan's Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture    18-19
 
Background
 
Japan's recent progress in science and technology has brought it
to the front lines of research in many fields and, in some areas,
to world leadership.  The National Science Foundation (NSF)
promotes the development of professional relationships between
the U.S. and Japanese research communities, with an aim
ultimately to increase the number of U.S. scientists and
engineers who can benefit from cooperation with Japan's research
community and follow developments in Japan's science and
engineering literature.
 
The activities listed above are administered under a number of
arrangements.  The U.S.-Japan Cooperative Science Program (CSP)
was established in 1961 to encourage cooperation in basic
scientific research on the basis of equality, reciprocity, and
mutuality of benefit.  The CSP is implemented in the United
States by NSF and, in Japan, by the Japan Society for the
Promotion of Science.  The Science and Technology Agency of Japan
handles the field of scientific and technical communications.
Long-term research stays, short-term visits, and bilateral
seminars are supported under the CSP.  Counterpart Japanese
researchers participating in the CSP are, for the most part,
affiliated with universities.
 
The U.S.-Japan Cooperative Photoconversion and Photosynthesis
Research Program (PPP) was established in 1981 to promote
collaborative research into photoconversion and photosynthesis.
The PPP is implemented in the United States by NSF and the
Department of Energy, and in Japan by the Ministry of Education,
Science, and Culture (through the Institute for Molecular
Science) and the Science and Technology Agency (through the
Institute of Physical and Chemical Research).  Long-term research
stays, short-term visits, and bilateral seminars are supported
under the PPP.
 
Four arrangements were initiated in 1988 to increase the number
of U.S. researchers who go to Japanese laboratories for research
stays of six to 24 months.  With money from the Government of
Japan, NSF formed the Japan-U.S. Science Fellowship Fund to
support U.S. researchers for long-term stays at Japanese
university, government, and corporate laboratories.  A memorandum
of understanding between NSF and the Agency of Industrial Science
and Technology (AIST) established the terms under which AIST
provides access to its research institutes for up to 30 U.S.
scientists and engineers each year.  The Japan Society for the
Promotion of Science began offering awards to young foreign
researchers for 12-month stays at Japanese university
laboratories, with NSF serving as the nominating agent for U.S.
scientists and engineers.  Under a similar program, NSF nominates
researchers to the Science and Technology Agency for research
stays of six to 24 months at Japanese government laboratories.
 
Finally, NSF encourages collaboration with all sectors of the
Japanese science and engineering community and desires to promote
cooperation with interdisciplinary groups and with consortia
among scientists and engineers resident at several institutions.
Proposals for long-term research stays, short-term visits, and
bilateral seminars can be considered by the Japan Program,
whatever the affiliation of the counterpart Japanese researcher.
 
General Guidelines
 
NSF's policy on the eligibility of applicants and on the fields
of science and engineering which may be supported is described in
Grants for Research and Education in Science and Engineering, NSF
90-77 (latest revision), hereinafter referred to as GRESE.  GRESE
also prescribes guidelines for proposal preparation, submission,
and evaluation and contains the standard forms which must be used
for NSF proposals.  GRESE is usually available from institutional
business offices; if not, you may obtain a copy by writing to
NSF's Forms and Publications Unit
 
     Room 232
     National Science Foundation
     Washington, D.C.  20550.
 
The following additional guidelines should be noted:
 
A.  The  Japan Program's  support  is supplemental in nature.  We
provide neither salary support nor funds for equipment,
materials, or supplies.  Individuals seeking salary and research
support from NSF, in addition to Japan-related expenses, should
submit a typical proposal to the appropriate disciplinary
research program and also send a copy to the Japan Program by the
applicable deadline mentioned herein.  Such proposals should
include a separate budget for Japan-related expenses, as well as
the other pertinent information requested in this announcement.
If the project is approved, the Japan Program will share the
costs with the NSF research program, to the extent provided for
by the appropriate budget guidelines in this announcement.
(Exceptions:  We do provide up to half base salary for long-term
visitors to Japan--see p. 4--and stipends for Japanese language
studysee pp. 14-15.)
 
B.  The Japan Program welcomes applications from qualified
scientists and engineers in government, academia, and industry.
Proposals from U.S. Government employees must include a letter of
endorsement from their employing Federal agency; stipend and
salary are not provided to Federal employees.  Graduate students
may participate under the direction of a senior principal
investigator.
 
C.  Because  of  the  long-term  purposes  of  Japan  Program
awards, we will support only persons who are U.S. citizens,
nationals, or permanent residents.  (NSF nominations to the Japan
Society for the Promotion of Science Program--see p. 6 below--require
U.S. citizenship.)
 
D.  Any  person  whose travel is supported  by an  NSF  grant
must travel by U.S. flag carrier, if available.
 
E. Specific budgetary  guidelines and  allowances are subject to
change.  Applicants should request current budget information
before finalizing proposals.
 
F.  NSF's general evaluation and selection criteria for proposals
are given in GRESE.  We list in the appropriate sections below
additional specific criteria which apply to individual
activities.  Proposals are subject to both external peer review
and internal evaluation by the Japan Program and the Foundation's
relevant disciplinary programs.  In establishing priorities for
proposals of substantially equal technical merit, factors such as
national needs, infrastructure needs of the field, the
representation of women and minorities, and geographical and
institutional balance are also considered.  In addition to NSF's
merit review, final approval and support of a project is subject
to Japanese government concurrence, as appropriate.
 
G. It is important that intellectual property introduced or
created in the course of collaboration be adequately protected.
Awards made under the Japan Program may be subject to special
provisions regarding rights to inventions, data, and writings.
The legal representatives of your institution may contact NSF for
further information.
 
Reporting Requirements
 
Within 90 days of the expiration of a grant, two copies of a
Final Project Report (NSF Form 98A, see GRESE) must be submitted
to the address for Inquiries on the inside front cover of this
announcement.  The Final Project Report should include, where
appropriate, an assessment of the mutuality of scientific benefit
from the project to the U.S. and Japanese participants.  Describe
significant scientific or engineering accomplishments under the
award in technical detail, identify any problems encountered, and
include any suggestions which would be useful for program
management purposes.  For seminars, include a summary of the
scientific presentations, comment on the value of the meeting and
its likely impact on the direction of further work in the United
States and Japan, and list the areas identified in which work and
cooperation are especially needed.  Annual progress reports are
not required for these programs, except where funding is given in
annual increments.
 
The Japan Program staff would appreciate being informed of any
special accomplishments which might warrant citation in our
annual program report or in an NSF press release.  We also
welcome interesting photographs of research in action.
 
Long-Term Research Stays in Japan
 
NSF particularly encourages U.S. scientists and engineers to
undertake research stays of six to 24 months in Japan.  The U.S.
researcher must take the initiative to correspond with potential
Japanese hosts and to identify the one who will make the most
appropriate research partner.  Proposals for long-term stays in
Japan must, in all cases, include a specific plan of
collaborative research and a letter of invitation from the
prospective Japanese host scientist or institution.
 
NSF administers a set of programs which support research stays of
six to 24 months at Japanese university, government, and
corporate laboratories.  The programs are open to researchers of
all professional levels, including graduate students who can
contribute significantly to a cooperative project between their
faculty research advisor and a Japanese counterpart.  The
application process and financial provisions are identical for
all of the NSF-administered programs.  In addition, NSF
cooperates with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
(JSPS) and the Science and Technology Agency of Japan (STA) to
make their programs for long-term research stays in Japan
available to U.S. researchers.  The JSPS and STA Programs are
open to researchers who will have held their Ph.D. six years or
less (see details on p. 6).
 
Whether a researcher should apply for direct NSF support or for
one of the JSPS or STA awards will depend on professional status,
the intended duration of the research stay, the host institution
chosen, and the applicable financial provisions of each type of
award.  Certain individuals may be eligible to apply to more than
one of the programs for long-term research stays in Japan.  Such
persons should study in detail the eligibility requirements,
proposal submittal and evaluation processes, and the financial
provisions of each program, as we will accept only one
application.  Likewise, proposals to NSF will not be accepted if
a researcher has applied for the JSPS or STA Programs directly
through a potential host in Japan.
 
In addition to the programs listed above, there are other NSF
programs which can support long-term visits to Japan directly, or
for which support from the disciplinary programs and Japan
Programs can be integrated.
 
1. As noted on p. 2, a researcher seeking NSF support for salary
and research costs, in addition to Japan-related expenses, should
submit a single research proposal to the appropriate disciplinary
program.
 
2. For postdoctoral appointments, individuals may apply for the
JSPS and STA Programs, or they may include a long-term stay in
Japan as part of an overall plan submitted to one of the
postdoctoral programs administered by NSF's research
directorates.
 
3. Supplementary support may be offered for long-term visits to
Japan by graduate students who successfully compete for Grants
for Improving Doctoral Dissertation Research, which are available
in certain disciplines.
 
Researchers are encouraged to discuss these possibilities with
NSF staff prior to submitting formal proposals.
 
NSF-Administered Long-Term Research Stays
 
Submission deadline:  Any time during the year
 
Eligibility, Proposal Submission, and Evaluation
 
NSF-administered long-term research stays will be referred to as
LTV's (long-term visits).  U.S. researchers, whether from
academia, government, or industry, may apply for research stays
in Japan of six to 24 months at university, government, or
corporate laboratories.  Proposals may be submitted at any time.
However, applicants should realize that the processing of LTV
proposals often takes up to a year from submission to the time
when the investigator can go to Japan.  That long lead time is
required because:
 
(1) proposals are evaluated through regular NSF merit review in
coordination with appropriate disciplinary programs,
 
(2) projects which NSF chooses to support must in some cases be
formally approved by the appropriate Japanese administrative
agency or host laboratory, and
 
(3) researchers going to Japan for six to 24 months are often
required to show evidence of official sponsorship before their
visa applications can be processed.  Researchers are responsible
for obtaining their own visas and are urged to inquire early of
the closest Japanese Consulate regarding specific requirements.
 
LTV proposals are evaluated according to the following criteria:
 
  o The merit of the proposed research, including its approach,
    methodology, and potential for generating new scientific or
    engineering knowledge;
 
  o The competence and complementarity of the U.S. and Japanese
    researchers;
 
  o The unique advantages of collaborating with Japanese
    researchers; and
 
  o The prospective benefits to the United States and Japan
    which may result from the collaboration.
 
Support
 
Specific allowances for LTV's are listed below.
 
  o NSF's Japan Program will pay up to one half of the
    applicant's base salary, plus applicable fringe benefits, for the
    period of residence in Japan.  We expect that the first half of
    your salary will be supplied by your home institution, the
    Japanese host institution, an NSF disciplinary program, or by
    other sources.  Specify in the budget explanation all
    contributions toward salary, including the source and dollar
    amount.  Total salary will not exceed what your salary would have
    been during the same period in the United States.  Section A.1
 
  o An allowance for increased cost of living (see Table I) is
    based on your salary and family size (you and accompanying
    dependents).  F.3
 
  o Housing will be handled in one of two ways.  We urge you to
    take advantage of guest researcher housing or equivalent
    arrangements which may be available through your Japanese host
    institution.  If you do so, you may include in your proposed
    budget monthly rent, any initial expenses required to secure the
    lease, rent for necessary furniture, and an allowance for
    temporary lodging for three days, at the U.S. government local
    lodging rate for one person.  We do not pay for utilities and
    services.  F.3
 
    If you are unable to arrange accommodations in advance, you will
    have to identify housing, generally with the assistance of your
    Japanese host, after your arrival in Japan.  In such cases,
    housing expenses will not be included in the budget but will be
    approved and disbursed separately by the NSF office in Tokyo.
    However, the budget may include an allowance for temporary
    lodging for fourteen days, at the U.S. government local lodging
    rate for one person.  E.2
 
  o Foreign travel will include ground transportation and round-
    trip economy fare by U.S. carrier for you and accompanying
    dependents.  Any other travel en route will be at your own
    expense.  We provide you and accompanying dependents an excess
    baggage allowance of $300 each.  If your stay in Japan will last
    nine months or more, we provide an allowance of $3,000 for you to
    make a return visit to the United States for professional
    purposes.  E.2
 
  o Internal travel within Japan for professional purposes will
    be supported at a fixed amount of $500.  If you wish to request
    more than that, explain in the body of the proposal the benefits
    of visiting specific researchers or institutions and detail in
    the budget explanation your estimated expenses.  E.2
 
  o You may request support for communications and shipment of
    supplies and equipment to and from the laboratory of your
    Japanese host.  Costs must be detailed and justified.  G.6
 
  o We provide a fixed relocation allowance to cover moving
    costs, telephone and utility deposits, the purchase of basic
    appliances and furniture adapted to Japan but not usually
    supplied in unfurnished apartments, (such as a refrigerator,
    portable stoves, and bedding), and other related expenses.  For
    single persons the relocation allowance is $1,500; for those with
    accompanying dependents it is $2,500.  F.4
 
  o We provide support for Japanese language study by you, the
    principal investigator.  Identify in the budget explanation the
    program or institution at which you will study, describe the
    course (materials to be covered, textbook, etc.), and itemize the
    costs.  Language study may be undertaken in the United States,
    Japan, or both.  Allowable costs are the same as those under the
    separate language program (pp. 14-15).  G.6
 
  o A school allowance for each child in grades K-12.  An
    allowance of $800 per year is provided to cover the expenses of
    public schooling in Japan.  If you wish to request support for
    private schooling (all English-language schools in Japan are
    private), identify the grade and school of choice and itemize
    estimated expenses in your budget explanation.  Eligible expenses
    include application, registration, and other fees required for
    school admission; tuition; uniforms, books, and supplies (if
    mandatory and not provided); and transportation.  The maximum
    annual school allowance is $10,000 per child.  F.4
 
  o An allowance of $1,000 for U.S. travel expenses, after your
    return from Japan, to allow you to speak at professional meetings
    to share with the U.S. research community your professional and
    cultural experiences in Japan.  E.1
 
  o Administrative allowance.  In lieu of indirect costs, NSF
    will provide your home institution $250 to defray administrative
    expenses.  I
 
Present the budget on a Summary Proposal Budget page (NSF Form
1030).  On a separate sheet, explain your estimates and justify
those variable allowances for which you would exceed the standard
amounts.  List accompanying dependents by name, giving their
relationship to you and the birth date of each minor, and specify
the time period during which each dependent will be in Japan.
List items on Form 1030 under the sections noted above at the end
of each separate category.  (For example, include the cost-of-
living allowance under section F.3participant support costs.)
 
To offset high initial costs, NSF strongly encourages the U.S.
home institution to advance each awardee before departure from
the United States the relocation allowance, three months' cost-
of-living allowance, and, if housing is included in the proposal
budget, six months' housing allowance.
 
Table I
 
Cost-of-Living Allowance
 
The following table provides the annual cost-of-living
allowance,* based on the researcher's family size (you and
accompanying dependents) and domestic base salary.
 
                               Number of Persons in Family
 
Annual Base Salary    One        Two     Three      Four     Five     Six or
                                                                      More
$95,000 and above   $24,400   $27,400   $30,500   $32,000   $35,100   $36,600
 90,000 - 94,999     23,800    26,800    29,800    31,300    34,300    35,800
 85,000 - 89,999     23,200    26,100    29,000    30,400    33,400    34,800
 80,000 - 84,999     22,500    25,300    28,100    29,500    32,300    33,700
 75,000 - 79,999     21,800    24,500    27,200    28,600    31,300    32,600
 71,000 - 74,999     21,100    23,800    26,400    27,700    30,400    31,700
 67,000 - 70,999     20,400    23,000    25,500    26,800    29,300    30,600
 63,000 - 66,999     19,700    22,100    24,600    25,800    28,300    29,500
 59,000 - 62,999     19,000    21,300    23,700    24,900    27,300    28,400
 55,000 - 58,999     18,200    20,400    22,700    23,800    26,100    27,200
 51,000 - 54,999     17,300    19,400    21,600    22,700    24,800    25,900
 48,000 - 50,999     16,500    18,500    20,600    21,600    23,700    24,700
 45,000 - 47,999     15,800    17,700    19,700    20,700    22,700    23,600
 42,000 - 44,999     15,000    16,900    18,800    19,700    21,600    22,600
 39,000 - 41,999     14,400    16,200    18,000    18,900    20,700    21,600
 36,000 - 38,999     13,600    15,300    17,000    17,800    19,600    20,400
 33,000 - 35,999     12,800    14,400    16,000    16,800    18,400    19,200
 30,000 - 32,999     12,100    13,600    15,100    15,900    17,400    18,100
 28,000 - 29,999     11,500    13,000    14,400    15,100    16,600    17,300
 26,000 - 27,999     11,000    12,400    13,800    14,500    15,900    16,600
 24,000 - 25,999     10,500    11,800    13,100    13,800    15,100    15,700
 22,000 - 23,999      9,900    11,200    12,400    13,000    14,300    14,900
 20,000 - 21,999      9,400    10,500    11,700    12,300    13,500    14,000
 18,000 - 19,999      8,800     9,900    11,000    11,600    12,600    13,200
 16,000 - 17,999      8,200     9,200    10,200    10,700    11,700    12,200
 14,000 - 15,999      7,600     8,600     9,500    10,000    10,900    11,400
 12,000 - 13,999      7,000     7,800     8,700     9,100    10,000    10,400
 under 12,000         6,400     7,200     8,000     8,400     9,200     9,600
 
* Because of access to commissary and exchange facilities, U.S.
government employees will receive a lower cost-of-living
allowance if they stay at any of the following cities:  Akizuki,
Fukuoka, Kobe-Osaka, Okinawa, Sapporo, Tokyo, Yokohama, Yokosuka,
or Zama.  Please inquire for current figures.
 
Proposal Format and Content
 
An LTV proposal, which should be submitted in ten copies, must
include the following parts (see GRESE for details), assembled in
sequence:
 
  o A Cover Sheet for Proposals to the NSF (NSF Form 1207).  The
    NSF Organizational Unit is INT:  Japan LTV.  The title of the
    proposed project should read (without quotation marks):  Japan
    Long-Term Visit:  ..., with the concluding portion scientifically
    valid, yet brief.
 
  o Table of Contents.  Include page numbers.
 
  o Researcher Information.  Give the name, complete mailing and
    e-mail addresses, and telephone and Fax numbers of the U.S.
    Principal Investigator(s) listed on the cover page.  Also, give
    the name, position, and institutional affiliation of the proposed
    Japanese host(s).
 
  o Project Summary.  The summary should include the names and
    institutions of both the U.S. principal investigator(s) and the
    Japanese host researcher(s).
 
  o Results from Prior NSF Support.  This synopsis should not
    exceed two pages.
 
  o Project Description.  In addition to a technical description
    of the problem and proposed experimental approach, this section
    should include details of the U.S.-Japan cooperative aspects and
    of the scientific justification for performing the work in Japan.
    It may not exceed 15 pages.
 
  o Bibliography.
 
  o Information on Previous Professional Visits to Japan.
 
  o Copies of Correspondence confirming the cooperative
    arrangements.
 
  o Biographical Sketch.
 
  o Rsum of Japanese Host Researcher.
 
  o Summary Proposal Budget (NSF Form 1030).
 
  o Budget Explanation and Justification.
 
  o Current and Pending Support (NSF Form 1239).
 
Additionally, a single copy of Information about Principal
Investigators/Project Directors (NSF Form 1225) must be provided.
The information requested refers only to you, the U.S.
researcher, not to the Japanese host.
 
Japanese Programs for Long-term Research Stays:
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) and
Science and Technology Agency of Japan (STA) Programs
 
Annual deadline:  November 1
 
Eligibility, Proposal Submission, and Evaluation
 
NSF nominates U.S. scientists and engineers for 12-month research
awards administered by the Japan Society for the Promotion of
Science (JSPS) and for similar awards by the Science and
Technology Agency of Japan (STA) for periods of six to 24 months.
 
JSPS awards are for research at public or private Japanese
universities, inter-university research institutes, or other
research facilities affiliated with the Japanese Ministry of
Education, Science, and Culture (Monbusho).  STA's awards, which
are administered through the Research Development Corporation of
Japan (JRDC), support research at national laboratories (except
university-affiliated laboratories), Japanese public
corporations, and certain non-profit research organizations (see
Appendix III for a list of eligible institutions).
 
Please note that the JSPS and STA Programs are funded and
administered by agencies of the Japanese Government.  NSF
coordinates with the Japanese agencies, receiving proposals from
U.S. researchers, reviewing the proposals for relative merit, and
nominating candidates.  Each applicant must:
 
1. Be a U.S. citizen or national (for the STA awards, NSF can
also nominate permanent residents);
 
2. Hold a doctorate in the natural, social, or engineering
sciences which was awarded no more than six years before the
application deadline, or expect to earn a doctorate by the time
his or her research in Japan would begin.  In exceptional cases,
we can consider researchers with at least two years' professional
research experience beyond a master's degree which was awarded no
more than nine years before the date of application; and
 
3. Identify a Japanese host scientist and work out details of a
collaborative research project.
 
Proposals to NSF are accepted during October of each year.  The
proposal and all supporting materials must be postmarked by
November 1.
 
Proposals are evaluated according to the criteria given under the
LTV Program (see p. 3).  Note, however, that proposals to the
JSPS and STA Programs are reviewed by panel, rather than by mail,
so applicants compete only with other individuals who meet the
eligibility requirements.  It is expected that, in many cases,
the awards will be viewed as postdoctoral appointments.
Therefore, the proposal format given below emphasizes educational
background and letters of reference as the basis for judging a
researcher's competence.
 
Note:  Parallel JSPS and STA research awards are available in the
biomedical and clinical sciences through the National Institutes
of Health (NIH).  Information on application deadlines and
requirements may be obtained from:
 
     International Research and Awards Branch
     Fogarty International Center
     Building 31, Room B2C21
     National Institutes of Health
     Bethesda, Maryland  20892
     Telephone:  (301)  496-1653
     Fax:             (301)  402-0779
 
Support
 
JSPS or STA will provide the following support:
 
  o Transportation.  Round-trip economy-class airfare and actual
    expenses from Japanese port of entry to the host institution for
    you only.
 
  o Relocation allowance of 200,000.
 
  o Living allowance of 270,000 per month.
 
  o Housing  allowance  of  up  to  100,000  per month.
 
  o Family  allowance of 50,000 per month, if accompanied by
    dependents.
 
  o Medical and accident insurance coverage for you only.
 
  o Japanese language training, either in the formof special
    classes set up specifically for you, or through tuition
    reimbursement for courses taken at commercial language schools in
    Japan.
 
  o An allowance of up to 115,000 per year for professional
    travel within Japan (STA only), and
 
  o Research  costs.  STA will provide each host institution
    1.49 million per year to cover expenses related to your research.
    For the JSPS Program, you may apply, after arrival in Japan and
    in collaboration with your Japanese host, for up to 1.2 million
    to cover research costs such as equipment, materials, and
    supplies.
 
If your research stay in Japan will last nine months or more, NSF
provides $3,000 for you to return to the United States for
professional purposes.
 
Applicants with dependents please note:  The JSPS and STA awards
provide little or nothing for dependents' travel, housing, and
schooling.  Therefore, you may apply to NSF for additional
support for your accompanying dependents, in the following
categories:  travel to Japan and return, excess baggage, the
incremental relocation allowance (currently $1,000) for
researchers accompanied by dependents, and schooling.  (Refer to
the appropriate budget guidelines on p. 4.)  In addition, we will
provide each accompanying dependent $50 per month toward medical
insurance coverage (F.4 on the budget page).
 
Commencement and Duration of Research Awards
 
By March of each year, JSPS and STA will inform successful
applicants by letter of their selection.  You must begin your
research stay in Japan during the Japanese fiscal year (April 1
to March 31) following your November 1 application deadline, in
accordance with a schedule arranged with your Japanese host
researcher.  STA asks you to obtain certification from a
physician that your general health is such that no health
problems would be anticipated during an extended stay in Japan,
and to send your host a passport-sized photograph to aid those
from the host institution who will meet you upon your arrival in
Japan.
 
Research awards are for one year (JSPS) or for six months to two
years (STA).  Applications for extension for up to twelve months
will be considered if necessary for completion of the planned
research.  Such application must be made to JSPS or STA at least
three months before the end of your award.  Under both Programs,
the maximum duration of a research stay, including any
extensions, is 24 months.
 
Proposal Format and Content
 
Proposals, which should be submitted in eight copies, must
include the following parts, assembled in sequence:
 
   o The attached JSPS/STA Application Form (Appendix I).
 
   o Research Plan (limit text to two typewritten pages)
 
      - statement of hypothesis
      - specifics of experimental design and methodology
      - benefits of doing the research in Japan.
 
  o Biographical Sketch, including a list of all publications
    during the last five years.
 
  o Letter of Invitation from your proposed Japanese host
    researcher, and where appropriate, from the director of the host
    institute.
 
  o Rsum of the Japanese Host Researcher.
 
A single copy of Information about Principal
Investigators/Project Directors (NSF Form 1225) must be provided.
The information requested refers only to you, the U.S.
researcher, not to the Japanese host.
 
In addition to the above, three letters of reference, from your
research supervisor and two professional colleagues, must be sent
directly to the address listed on the inside front cover, under
Inquiries.  You may submit your proposal directly to NSF;
institutional endorsement is not required.
 
However, if you intend to request NSF's support to cover the
expenses of accompanying dependents, submit the proposal through
your home institution.  Such a proposal must include the
following additional items:
 
  o A Cover Sheet for Proposals to the NSF  (NSF Form 1207).
    The NSF Organizational Unit is INT:  Japan JSPS or INT:  Japan
    STA.  The title of the proposed project should read (without
    quotation marks):  Japan JSPS [or STA] Program:  ..., with the
    concluding portion scientifically valid, yet brief.
 
  o Project Summary.  The summary should include the names and
    institutions of both you and the Japanese host researcher(s).
 
  o Results from Prior NSF Support.   This synopsis should not
    exceed two pages.
 
  o Summary Proposal Budget (NSF Form 1030).
 
  o Budget Explanation and Justification, and
 
  o Current and Pending Support  (NSF Form 1239).
 
Short-Term Visits for Collaborative Research
Annual deadline:  May 15
 
General Guidelines
 
NSF offers support for visits to Japan of less than six months
for the purpose of cooperative research at university,
government, or corporate laboratories.  Such short-term visits
are considered for support only if they are identified with
collaborative research projects.  Projects normally last two
years; support may be requested for one or two trips, for up to a
total of 180 days per investigator.  NSF supports U.S.
researchers' visits to Japan; support for Japanese researchers is
provided by the Japanese government.
 
Short-term visits to collaborate with university-affiliated
Japanese researchers are considered under the CSP, except that
projects in the fields of photoconversion and photosynthesis,
regardless of the participating laboratory in Japan, are
considered under the PPP (see Background, p. 1).
 
For short-term visits under the CSP, the Japanese counterpart
investigator must submit a proposal to the Japan Society for the
Promotion of Science (JSPS) at the same time that the U.S.
principal investigator submits his or her proposal to NSF.  This
is true even if the Japanese colleague will not request funds
from JSPS.  We will not consider a proposal unless the required
counterpart application is submitted to JSPS.  Interested
Japanese investigators may obtain JSPS's guidelines from:

     Research Cooperation Division
     Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
     Yamato Building
     5-3-1, Kojimachi, Chiyoda-ku
     Tokyo 102  JAPAN.
 
Eligibility, Proposal Submission, and Evaluation
 
U.S. scientists and engineers may apply to NSF for support of
short-term visits to Japan for collaborative research.  Graduate
students who can contribute significantly to a cooperative
project with a Japanese counterpart may be proposed for support
by their research advisor.  Proposals are accepted once a year,
beginning in April, and must be postmarked no later than May 15.
Support is available from April of the following year for up to
two years.  If a researcher wishes to request support for a
project involving both a long-term research stay and a short-term
visit(s), a single proposal should be made to the LTV program
(see pp. 3-6).
 
Short-term visit proposals are evaluated according to the
criteria given for the LTV program (see p. 3).
 
Support
 
For short-term visits, NSF's Japan Program considers only
requests for the supplemental support (e.g. international travel
costs and per diem expenses, materials shipment, and
communications) necessary to expand a domestic project into a
bilateral one.  Financial support for salaries, equipment,
publication charges, and similar expenses must come from NSF's
disciplinary programs, other U.S. government agencies, the
submitting institution, or other sources.
 
Allowable costs for short-term visits are as follows:
 
  o Travel.  Ground transportation and round-trip, economy-class
    airfare between each traveler's home and destination in Japan.
    Support is limited to a maximum of two trips per researcher.E.2
 
  o Subsistence allowance at the applicable U.S. Government per
    diem rate for the first 20 days of any single visit abroad and
    50% of the rate thereafter.  Subsistence allowance is limited to
    a maximum of 40 days at full per diem and 180 days' total per
    investigator over a two-year period.E.2
 
  o Communication costs, shipment of materials, and other
    reasonable charges directly attributable to internationalizing
    the U.S. research effort.  Support for such costs is very limited
    and specific justification must be provided for each request.G.6
 
  o Administrative allowance.  In lieu of indirect costs, NSF
    will provide $250 to the grantee institution to defray
    administrative expenses.I
 
List items on the Summary Proposal Budget page under the sections
noted at the end of each allowance category.  Only a cumulative
budget for the proposed duration of the grant is required.  On
the Budget Explanation and Justification page, itemize separately
the amounts for transportation and subsistence and specify the
length of the proposed visit(s).  Give the name, position, and
institutional affiliation of each individual whose travel is to
be supported.
 
Proposal Format and Content
 
Short-term visit proposals, which should be submitted in ten
copies, must include the following parts (see GRESE for details)
assembled in sequence:
 
  o A Cover Sheet for Proposals to the NSF (NSF Form 1207).  The
    NSF Organizational Unit is INT: Japan Short-Term Visit.  The
    title of the proposed project should read (without quotation
    marks) U.S.-Japan Cooperative Research: ..., with the concluding
    portion scientifically valid, yet brief.
 
  o Table of Contents.  Include page numbers.
 
  o Researcher Information.  Give the name, complete mailing and
    e-mail addresses, and telephone and Fax numbers of the U.S.
    Principal Investigator(s) listed on the cover page.  Also, give
    the name, position, and institutional affiliation of the
    collaborating Japanese Principal Investigator(s).
 
  o Project Summary.  The summary should include the names and
    institutions of the collaborating principal investigators, in
    both the United States and Japan.
 
  o Results from Prior NSF Support.  This synopsis should not
exceed two pages.
 
  o Project Description.  Present the objectives, methodology,
    and justification of the collaborative arrangement or division of
    labor.  Discuss the qualifications of each U.S. researcher for
    whom travel support is requested, as well as the collaborating
    Japanese investigators.  If applicable, discuss the relevance of
    the Japanese facilities to the proposed research.  Give a
    scientific justification of the visits to Japan proposed by the
    U.S. investigator(s) and the specific objectives thereof.  List
    expected scientific benefits to the applicant and to the U.S. and
    the Japanese science communities.  This section of the proposal
    may not exceed 15 pages.
 
  o Bibliography.
 
  o Information on Previous Professional Visits to Japan.
 
  o Copies of Correspondence confirming the cooperative
    arrangements.
 
  o Biographical Sketch of each U.S. researcher for whom travel
    support is requested.
 
  o Rsum of Japanese Collaborator.
 
  o Summary Proposal Budget  (NSF Form 1030).
 
  o Budget Explanation and Justification.
 
  o Current and Pending Support (NSF Form 1239).
 
A single copy of Information about Principal
Investigators/Project Directors (NSF Form 1225) must be provided.
The information requested refers only to the U.S. researcher(s),
not to the Japanese host.
 
No-cost U.S. Proposal
 
Under the CSP, counterpart proposals must be submitted to both
NSF and JSPS even if funds are requested from one side only.  If
you do not require NSF funding but would like your Japanese
colleague to be considered for funds from JSPS under the Program,
you may submit a no-cost proposal, which does not require
institutional endorsement.  Submit only the Cover Page, Project
Summary, Biographical Sketches of U.S. principal investigator(s)
and Rsum of Japanese Collaborator, in five copies.  Except for
the changes noted here, the submission requirementsincluding the
May 15 deadlineare the same as for other proposals under this
Program.
 
Bilateral Seminars
Annual Deadline:  May 15
 
General Guidelines
 
We enable scientists and engineers in the United States and Japan
to convene joint seminars for the exchange of information and
ideas, and to facilitate on-going or future research
collaboration.  Bilateral seminars on similar topics must be at
least three years apart.  Proposals are considered only if the
meeting is a separate and discrete entity which has been
initiated and developed from the outset with bilateral input from
both U.S. and Japanese organizers.  Please direct to the relevant
NSF disciplinary programs requests for travel support to
participate in other meetings in Japan.  NSF provides travel and
subsistence support in full or in part for U.S. participants and
a modest administrative allowance for the U.S. organizer.
Japanese participants are to be supported by their own
government.
 
Seminars for which the Japanese organizer is a university
professor are considered under the CSP, except that seminars in
the areas of photoconversion and photosynthesis, regardless of
the affiliation of the Japanese organizer, are considered under
the PPP (see Background, p. 1).  For seminars under the CSP, the
Japanese co-organizer must submit a proposal to JSPS (see address
on p. 8) at the same time that the U.S. organizer submits his or
her proposal to NSF.  We will not consider such a proposal unless
the required counterpart application is submitted to JSPS.  Other
seminar proposals require that the Japanese co-organizer seek
support from the appropriate source in Japan and that that source
be identified in the proposal to NSF.
 
Eligibility, Proposal Submission, and Evaluation
 
Only U.S. scientists and engineers may submit a proposal for, or
be supported for participation in, a U.S.-Japan bilateral
seminar.  Proposals are accepted once a year, beginning in April,
for seminars to be held during the one-year period commencing on
April 1 of the following year.  Proposals must be postmarked no
later than May 15.
 
Bilateral seminar proposals are evaluated according to the
following criteria:
 
  o The justification for, and the suitability and timeliness
    of, the proposed topic for a meeting of U.S. and Japanese
    scientists;
 
  o The content and format of the meeting;
 
  o The qualifications of the prospective participants;
 
  o The probable benefits to both countries from the exchange of
    information and expanded scientific cooperation;
 
  o The special contributions of the proposed seminar, as
    related to past and planned international meetings on the topic;
    and
 
  o The potential for stimulating new collaborative research in
    the subject area.
 
Support
 
Support for seminars is limited to a maximum dollar amount based
on location:  U.S. sites other than Alaska or Hawaii$11,000;
Alaska or Hawaii$14,000; Japan$22,000.  Allowable costs for
bilateral seminars are as follows:
 
  o Travel.  Up to ground transportation and round-trip, economy
    class airfare between participants' homes and the meeting
    location.  F.2
 
  o Subsistence allowance.  Up to the applicable U.S. government
    per diem rate for the duration of the meeting (seven days'
    maximum) if at a U.S. site other than Alaska or Hawaii; for the
    duration of the meeting plus one additional day, if in Alaska or
    Hawaii; for the duration of the meeting plus two additional days,
    if at a Japanese site.  F.3
 
  o Conference facilities.  For seminars in Honolulu, we
    maintain a contract with the East-West Center for conference
    facility support.  Organizers should communicate directly with
    the Center (Logistics Officer, East-West Center, 1777 East-West
    Road, Honolulu, HI  96848; telephone (808) 944-7157) regarding
    available dates, accommodations, etc.  The costs for conference
    facilities at other sites must be detailed and justified in the
    budget explanation.  G.6
 
  o Organizer's allowance of up to $500 to be used at the
    discretion of the organizer to cover logistical and
    administrative costs of the meeting.  Neither registration fees
    nor honoraria are allowed.  G.6
 
  o Administrative allowance.  In lieu of indirect costs, and in
    addition to the base amount of the award, we provide $250 to the
    grantee institution to defray administrative expenses.  I
 
List items on the Summary Proposal Budget page under the sections
noted at the end of each allowance category.  The U.S. organizer
is responsible for coordinating the support of U.S. participants.
Clearly identify on the Budget Explanation and Justification page
each participant for whom you request full or partial NSF
financial support.
 
Proposal Format and Content
 
A proposal for support of a bilateral seminar, which should be
submitted in ten copies, must include the following parts (see
GRESE for details), assembled in sequence:
 
  o A Cover Sheet for Proposals to the NSF (NSF Form 1207).  The
    NSF Organizational Unit is INT:  Japan Seminar.  The title of the
    proposed project should read (without quotation marks) U.S.-  Japan
    Seminar:  ..., with the concluding portion scientifically valid,
    yet brief.
 
  o Table of Contents.  Include page numbers.
 
  o Organizer Information.  Give the name, complete mailing and
    e-mail addresses, and the telephone and Fax numbers of the U.S.
    Principal Investigator(s) listed on the cover page.  Also, give
    the name, position, and institutional affiliation of the Japanese
    Organizer(s).
 
  o Seminar Location and Dates.
 
  o Summary.  Describe the seminar's objectives and structure,
    and present the rationale for its being convened as a bilateral
    U.S.-Japan activity.  Identify the U.S. and Japanese seminar
    organizers and their institutions.  Include a statement or
    explanation of the seminar's broader significance
    (justification), expressed in language understandable to a
    scientifically literate person.
 
  o Results from Prior NSF Support.  This synopsis should not
    exceed two pages.
 
   o Seminar Description.  Give the technical objectives and
    scope of the meeting, as well as justification for convening it
    on a bilateral basis.  Because we support only a small number of
    participants, when deciding on topical coverage you should give
    careful consideration to the issue of breadth vs. depth.  Discuss
    the state-of-the-science or engineering in the United States and
    Japan and the benefits for both countries expected to result from
    the meeting.  Include information on past and planned
    international meetings on the topic and a discussion of the
    timeliness of the proposed seminar.
 
  o Agenda.  Outline the intended day-by-day program of the
    seminar in detail.
 
  o Proposed U.S. and Japanese Participants.  The U.S. and
    Japanese organizers are responsible for the nomination of their
    respective participants (persons who will make presentations or
    be actively involved in seminar discussions), subject  to   final
    approval by NSF and the counterpart Japanese agency.  The total
    number of seminar participants should not exceed 30, including those
    from countries other than Japan or the United States.  Other country
    participants, who must provide their own support, may not comprise more
    than one fourth of the total; their attendance is subject to approval
    on both sides.
 
List each nominee's name, title, and institutional affiliation,
summarize the qualifications of each for the meeting, and specify
his or her expected contribution to agenda topics.  Broad
national representation and the inclusion of qualified younger
researchers are encouraged.  In general, we will support only one
participant from a U.S. institution or organization.
 
Each nominee should have tentatively agreed to attend but must be
warned that nomination in the proposal does not guarantee
support.  The selection process is competitive; occasionally, as
the result of reviews, we must require changes in the proposed
list of participants in order to recommend approval of a meeting.
We must approve the use of NSF funds to support any individuals
other than those originally identified.
 
Observers may be invited at the discretion of the organizers.
 
  o Dissemination of Information.  The proposal should include a
    plan for dissemination of the seminar results.
 
  o Biographical Sketch of the U.S. organizer.
 
  o Rsum of Japanese Organizer.
 
  o Summary Proposal Budget  (NSF Form 1030).
 
  o Budget Explanation and Justification.
 
  o Current and Pending Support (NSF Form 1239).
 
Submit a single copy of Information about Principal
Investigators/Project Directors (NSF Form 1225).  The information
requested refers only to you, the U.S. organizer(s), not to the
Japanese organizer.
 
State-of-the-Art Reviews
Annual deadlines:  June 1 and December 1
 
General Guidelines
 
NSF supports U.S. scientists and engineers to conduct critical
reviews of the state-of-the-art of foreign basic research,
science education, and science policy development.  Applicants
should focus their proposals on scientific trends in a specific
discipline or an interdisciplinary field, new developments in
priority topics, or research opportunities in those fields of
science and engineering which appear most promising for U.S.
scientific involvement.  We encourage universities and industry
to collaborate in the selection and study of fields and
countries.  The overseas visit portion of a study may involve up
to three persons and should last no more than one month.  The
results of a state-of-the-art review are to be generally
disseminated, as by publication in a professional journal widely
read by the relevant disciplinary community.
 
Eligibility, Proposal Submission, and Evaluation
 
Proposers must be U.S. researchers highly qualified in their
discipline or who show other measures of ability to evaluate the
S&T fields proposed.  Before submitting a proposal, prospective
applicants should discuss their plans with the appropriate
program officer in NSF's Division of International Programs.
 
Proposals are accepted twice a year, in May and November.  The

proposal and all supporting materials must be postmarked by June
1 or December 1.  (Refer to the announcement of the program for
Western Europe for additional deadlines.)  To allow time for
NSF's merit review, applicants should submit their proposals a
minimum of six months before they desire to start their survey.
 
State-of-the-art review proposals are evaluated according to the
following criteria:
 
  o The suitability and timeliness of the proposed review topic,
    in view of the state-of-the-science or engineering in the United
    States and the foreign country;
 
  o The content and format of the review;
 
  o The qualifications of the prospective participants;
 
  o The potential for contributing to a better understanding, in
    the United States, of the foreign research or science and
    engineering education, policies, or capabilities to be surveyed;
 
  o The probable effectiveness of the plan for disseminating the
    survey's results; and
 
  o The potential for stimulating new research opportunities for
    U.S. investigators in the subject area.
 
Support
 
Grants under this program are expected to be modest in size,
ranging up to $20,000.  Proposals may take the form of a new
grant or a supplement to an existing NSF grant.
 
Allowable costs include the following:
 
  o Travel.  Ground transportation and round-trip, economy class
    airfare between each traveler's home and the destinations abroad.
    E.2
 
  o Subsistence allowance at the applicable U.S. government per
    diem rates for the duration of travel, up to a maximum of one
    month.  E.2
 
  o Communication costs, publication charges, and other
    reasonable charges directly attributable to the trip or
    dissemination of the results.  G.6
 
  o Administrative allowance.  In lieu of indirect costs, we
  provide $250 to the grantee institution to defray administrative
  expenses.  I
 
List items on the Summary Proposal Budget page under the sections
noted at the end of each allowance category.  On the Budget
Explanation and Justification page, itemize separately the
amounts for transportation and subsistence and specify the number
of days to be spent in each foreign city.  Give the name,
position, and institutional affiliation of each person for whom
you request full or partial NSF financial support.
 
Proposal Format and Content
 
Proposals, which should be submitted in eight copies, must
include the following parts, assembled in sequence:
 
  o A Cover Sheet for Proposals to the NSF (NSF Form 1207).  The
    NSF Organizational Unit is INT:  SoAR.  The title of the proposed
    project, which should mention the name of the country to be
    visited, should read (without quotation marks) State-of-the-Art
    Review:  ..., with the concluding portion scientifically valid,
    yet brief.
 
  o Summary.  Describe the technical objectives of the survey as
    well as its broader significance.
 
  o Results from Prior NSF Support.  This synopsis should not
    exceed two pages.
 
  o Project Description.  Detail the technical objectives of the
    survey.  Discuss the timeliness of the topic in terms of current
    developments and the potential for U.S. collaboration with the
    foreign country.  Identify the individuals and laboratories to be
    visited and explain their importance in terms of the disciplinary
    infrastructure of the country.  You should document clearly
    grounds to anticipate that you will be able to achieve
    substantive access to the critical facilities and foreign
    researchers you propose to visit.
 
  o Dissemination of Information.  Provide a plan for effective
    publication or other dissemination of the survey results to the
    appropriate research community in the United States.
 
  o Biographical Sketch of each U.S. researcher for whom travel
    support is requested.
 
  o Summary Proposal Budget  (NSF Form 1030).
 
  o Budget Explanation and Justification.  Include a proposed
    itinerary giving the foreign cities to be visited and the number
    of days in each.
 
  o Current and Pending Support (NSF Form 1239).
 
A single copy of Information about Principal
Investigators/Project Directors (NSF Form 1225) must be provided.
The information requested refers only to you, the U.S.
researcher(s), not to the foreign hosts.
 
Japanese Language Study
Annual deadline:  December 15
General Guidelines
 
Japanese-language awards are intended to encourage U.S.
scientists and engineers to interact with Japanese colleagues by
removing language and cultural barriers.  NSF's goal for awardees
in this program is that they acquire sufficient skill in the
Japanese language:
 
1. to work directly with Japanese researchers on technical
subjects as well as to handle independently the demands of daily
life in Japan, or
 
2. to achieve direct access to Japanese technical information,
through either advanced oral communication or reading technical
material in their specific area of interest.
 
Study under this program is meant to be preparatory in nature.
Your proposal need not relate to a specific research project, but
should describe the short- and long-term benefits to your
professional development.  The Japanese Language Study Program
supports only training in the United States.  If you are seeking
support to study the Japanese language in connection with a
proposed long-term research stay in Japan, such support may be
included as a budget item in an LTV proposal (see p. 4).
 
Eligibility, Proposal Submission, and Evaluation
 
Science and engineering graduate students and professional
researchers are eligible for support of Japanese language study.
Graduate students must apply under the direction of their faculty
research advisor, who will serve as the project director (PD) for
the award.
 
Proposals are accepted once a year, beginning in November.  The
proposal and all supporting materials must be postmarked by
December 15.  Support is available from June of the following
year for up to three years.
 
Awardees are selected after panel review on the basis of:
 
1. Probability that the proposed course of language study can
achieve the goals outlined above and
 
2. Evaluation of the applicant's statement of purpose, the
relevance of Japanese research to his or her professional
interests, and other data in the application.
 
Support
 
Specific allowances are as follows:
 
  o Stipend.  For graduate students, an amount calculated from
    NSF's base rate for graduate fellowships (currently $1,125 per
    month), factored by the proportion of one's graduate course load
    which Japanese language courses represent.  The base rate for a
    more senior researcher's stipend is twice that for graduate
    awardees and should be prorated similarly, according to the
    fraction of time to be devoted to language study.  It is expected
    that, because stipend support is limited, researchers will also
    seek institutional cost-sharing or other sources of support.F.1
 
  o Tuition and fees.  The tuition and fees required for regular
    university Japanese language courses, suitable intensive Japanese
    language courses, classes offered through language schools, or
    private tutoring.  F.4
 
  o Books and supplies.  Itemize and justify; we do not support
    computer hardware.  F.4
 
  o Travel and subsistence.  If the course will be taken at an
    institution which is not within daily commuting distance of the
    awardee's home institution, the cost of one round trip (F.2) and
    a subsistence allowance of $125 per week, up to a maximum of
    $1,000 (F.3), may be requested.
 
  o Administrative allowance.  NSF provides the grantee
    institution a one-time payment of $250, in lieu of indirect
    costs, for administering the grant.  I.
 
List items on the Summary Proposal Budget page under the sections
noted at the end of each allowance category.  Only a cumulative
budget for the proposed duration of the grant is required.  On a
separate sheet, explain how the stipend and other allowances were
determined.
 
Proposal Format and Content
 
Proposals for Japanese language study, which should be submitted
in six copies, must include the following parts (see GRESE for
details), assembled in sequence:
 
  o A Cover Sheet for Proposals to the NSF (NSF Form 1207).  The
    NSF Organizational Unit is INT:  Japanese Language.  The title of
    the proposed project should read (without quotation marks)
    Japanese Language Award for ..., with the concluding portion
    naming the individual(s) who will undertake the study.
 
  o Results from Prior NSF Support.  This synopsis should not
    exceed two pages.  If a faculty member requests funds for a
    graduate student, note only the student's support from any
    previous NSF awards.
 
  o Statement of Purpose.  Provide details on the benefits of
    Japanese language capability in your general area of research and
    the level of proficiency necessary to accomplish your specific
    career goals.
 
  o Comprehensive Description of Language Study Program.  A
    broad diversity of approaches will be considered.  Formulate a
    course of study which will enable dedicated Japanese language
    study in the context of your professional research career.
    Identify the university or language school; if private
    tutoring is proposed, give the tutor's specific
 
qualifications as a Japanese language instructor.  List in detail
the subject matter to be covered and the textbooks and
instructional materials to be used.
 
  o Biographical Sketch of the person(s) who will study
    Japanese.
 
  o University transcripts.  Required only for graduate
    students;  unofficial copies are acceptable.
 
  o Summary Proposal Budget (NSF Form 1030).
 
  o Budget Explanation and Justification.
 
  o Current and Pending Support (NSF Form 1239).  If support is
    requested for a graduate student, note his or her support under
    current and pending projects.
 
Submit a single copy of Information about Principal
Investigators/ Project Directors (NSF Form 1225), and a signed
statement by the person(s) who will study Japanese that they
either are citizens or nationals of the United States or have
been lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United
States.
 
For graduate students, in addition to the above, three letters of
reference, from your research supervisor and two professional
colleagues, must be sent directly to the address listed on the
inside front cover under Inquiries.
 
Curriculum Development
Annual deadline:  Any time at least six months in advance
 
General Guidelines
 
We support the development of courses, curricula, and
instructional materials designed to provide Japanese-language
training to scientists and engineers.  A typical project might
develop materials to teach discipline-specific communication
skills required by researchers in science or engineering.  We
also consider proposals to modify traditional methods of teaching
basic Japanese language skills to serve the technical needs of
scientists and engineers.  Please discuss your ideas with a
program manager before preparing a formal proposal.
 
Eligibility, Proposal Submission, and Evaluation
 
We offer support to develop Japanese language curricula to U.S.
Japanese-language professionals as well as to scientists and
engineers.  You may submit a proposal at any time but should
allow a minimum of six months before the funds would be required.
Curriculum development proposals are evaluated according to the
following criteria:
 
  o The appropriateness of the approach for providing Japanese
    language instruction to individuals pursuing research careers in
    science and engineering;
 
  o Pedagogical soundness;
 
  o The extent to which new materials would be developed or a
    unique opportunity would be offered; and
 
  o The potential for the materials or approach to be
    transferred to other users.
 
Support
 
In most cases, NSF's support will be catalytic or supplemental.
Courses developed under an NSF grant should become part of the
institution's regular offerings.  We offer support in the
following categories; see GRESE for details.
 
  o Salaries and wages.
 
  o Fringe benefits.
 
  o Equipment.
 
  o Travel.
 
  o Participant support costs.  You may also request support to
    cover students' costs to participate in a course (see allowances
    under Japanese Language Study, above).
 
  o Other direct costs.
 
  o Indirect costs.
 
List items on the Summary Proposal Budget page. For multi-year
projects, prepare a budget page for each year.
 
Proposal Format and Content
 
Curriculum development proposals for Japanese language study,
which should be submitted in ten copies, must include the
following parts (see GRESE for details), assembled in sequence:
 
  o A Cover Sheet for Proposals to the NSF (NSF Form 1207).  The
    NSF Organizational Unit is INT:  Japanese Curriculum Development.
 
  o Table of Contents.  Include page numbers.
 
  o Project Summary.
 
  o Results from Prior NSF Support.  This synopsis should not
    exceed two pages.
 
  o Project Description.
 
  o Bibliography.
 
  o Biographical Sketches.
 
  o Summary Proposal Budget (NSF Form 1030).
 
  o Budget Explanation and Justification.
 
  o Current and Pending Support (NSF Form 1239).
 
In addition, submit a single copy of Information about Principal
Investigators/Project Directors (NSF Form 1225).
 
Summer Institute in Japan for U.S. Graduate Students in Science
and Engineering
Annual deadline:  January 15
 
General Guidelines
 
The Summer Institute provides up to 50 select U.S. science and
engineering graduate students first-hand experience in a Japanese
research environment, an introduction to the science and science-
policy infrastructure of Japan, and intensive Japanese language
training.  The goals of the Institute are to expose U.S. graduate
students to Japanese science and engineering in the context of a
research laboratory and to initiate personal relationships which
will better enable the students to collaborate with Japanese
counterparts in the future.  The program lasts for approximately
eight weeks from June to August (the dates in 1991 will be June
28 to August 24).  The Institute takes place in Tsukuba City,
Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan, about 60 km northeast of Tokyo.
 
Program Elements
 
  o An internship at a Japanese government or corporate
    laboratory in Tsukuba City;
 
  o Intensive language training and practice with Japanese
    instructors;
 
  o Lectures and discussions on U.S.-Japan comparative science
    policy, history and politics of Japan, and elements of Japanese
    culture;
 
  o Presentations by Japanese scientists and U.S. scientists
    resident in Japan on the current status of various science and
    engineering fields in Japan; and
 
  o Group visits to facilities in Tsukuba and possibly
    elsewhere.
 
You are encouraged to make individual arrangements to visit
laboratories outside of your host institute, both in Tsukuba and
elsewhere in Japan.  Such visits should be scheduled in
consultation with your host scientist, or be planned to occur
after the formal Institute program.
 
Eligibility, Proposal Submission, and Evaluation
 
To be eligible, as of January 15, you must be:
 
1. Enrolled at a U.S. institution in a Ph.D. program or enrolled
in an engineering graduate program of which you have completed a
year or more, and
 
2. Pursuing studies in a field of science or engineering which is
both supported by NSF and represented among the potential host
institutions in Tsukuba (see Appendix III and its Addendum).
 
You should apply directly to NSF; institutional endorsement is
not required.  Proposals are accepted once a year, beginning in
December.  The proposal and all supporting materials must be
postmarked by January 15.
 
NSF plans to notify successful applicants in April.  You should
assure that you will have adequate time before departure for
Japan to apply for and receive your U.S. passport.  Holders of
valid U.S. passports do not require a visa for stays in Japan of
less than 90 days.
 
A panel of experts will evaluate you for scientific promise and
your potential for contributing to U.S.-Japan collaboration in
your discipline.  The evaluation criteria include:
 
  o Competence in science or engineering and potential for
    continued professional growth as a research scientist or
    engineer, as illustrated by your research or other professional
    achievements, educational background, and the letters of
    recommendation.
 
  o Relevance of your professional interests to research done in
    Japan, the prominence of Japanese research within the field, and
    the probable effect of a stay in Japan on your career.
    Preference will be given to those who have never previously
    participated in a Japan science exchange program.
 
  o Willingness and preparation to live in and adapt to foreign
    cultures such as Japan's and the ability to form good working
    relations with foreign researchers.  Relevant factors include
    language aptitude or achievement, study abroad, membership in
    intercultural organizations, research collaboration with foreign
    scientists, etc.
 
Support
 
The National Science Foundation pays travel costs to and from
Japan and an allowance of $2,000.  The allowance is meant to
cover your transportation and subsistence expenses while in Japan
and to compensate in part for loss of summer employment.  The
Science and Technology Agency of Japan provides dormitory
accommodations and partial board at Tsukuba.  You will be
responsible for providing your own insurance and for covering any
additional costs; we provide no support for spouses or other
dependents.
 
Proposal Format and Content
 
A Summer Institute proposal, which is to be submitted in eight
copies, must include the following parts, assembled in sequence:
 
  o Summer Institute application form (Appendix II),
 
  o Statement of Purpose.  Explain any unique qualifications you
    may possess for participation in the Summer Institute, list the
    benefits you expect for your professional development, and detail
    your research interests.  Note that the information provided in
    this statement will be the basis not only for NSF's evaluation,
    but also for your assignment, if successful, to an appropriate
    Japanese host laboratory.  It is thus important to identify both
    your general field of study and any specific research interests.
    You should mention any interest you may have in a particular
    institute in Tsukuba or any contacts with Japanese researchers
    there, although assignment to a specific laboratory cannot be
    guaranteed.  The Statement of Purpose may not exceed 800 words.
 
  o Undergraduate and graduate transcripts.  Unofficial copies
    are acceptable.  If your enrollment in a Ph.D. or an engineering
    master's program is not explicitly indicated on the latest
    transcript, attach a signed statement from the Registrar's office
    attesting to your status.
 
   o Biographical Sketch.
 
A single copy of Information about Principal
Investigators/Project Directors (NSF Form 1225) must be
submitted.  The information requested refers only to you, the
student applicant.
 
Additionally, recommendations from your research supervisor and
two other faculty members or others qualified to comment on your
abilities and potential should be sent directly to the address
listed on the inside front cover under Inquiries.  Your research
supervisor's recommendation should include a specific statement
of agreement to your participation in the Summer Institute.
 
Final Reports
 
You will be requested to complete a survey on your Summer
Institute experience prior to departure from Tsukuba.
 
Burden Statement
 
The public reporting burden for applications for NSF's various
forms of support for research in Japan is estimated to average,
depending on the form of support sought, from six to 120 hours
per response, including the time for reviewing instructions,
drafting and revising the application materials, gathering the
documents needed, compiling and reviewing the application, and
producing final reports.  Send comments regarding this burden
estimate or any other aspect of the application process,
including suggestions for reducing the burden, to:
 
      Herman G. Fleming
      Reports Clearance Officer, Room 208
      Division of Personnel and Management
      National Science Foundation
      Washington, D.C.  20550
      Tel:  (202) 357-7335
 
and to:
 
      Office of Management and Budget
      Paperwork Reduction Project (3145-0058)
      Washington, D.C.  20503
 
NSF Application
 
[  ] Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
[  ] Science and Technology Agency of Japan (STA)
 
[Applications should be typewritten.]

 
Name in full:
family                                   first
middle
 
Social Security number1:
 
Citizenship status:       U.S. citizen         U.S. national
U.S. permanent resident
 
If they would accompany you to Japan, name of spouse and names
and ages of accompanying children:
 
Current institution, department, and position:
 
Office address:
 
Telephone:
 
Fax:
 
E-mail:
 
Home address:
 
Telephone:
 
Fax:
 
E-mail:
 
Name of the international airport nearest your departure point
(home institution or residence):
 
Brief title of proposed research in Japan:
 
Proposed tenure of JSPS/STA research award:
 
From:                To:
Total:            months
month  day  year                       month
day  year
 
Proposed Japanese host scientist:
 
1) Name:
2) Position or title and department:
3) Institution:
 
Your Japanese-language ability (evaluate using Excellent, Good,
Fair, or None):
 
writing (              )                      reading (             )
speaking (                )
 
Past professional visit(s) to Japan:
 
Place                        Year and duration
Purpose
 
Are you currently applying for any other fellowship or research
support for a visit to Japan?
 
If so, please describe.
 
Signature of Applicant:
Date:
 
NSF Application
 
Summer Institute in Japan for U.S. Graduate Students in Science
and Engineering
 
[Applications should be typewritten.]
 
Name in full:
family                                   first
middle
 
Social Security number1:
 
Citizenship status:       U.S. citizen         U.S. national
U.S. permanent resident
 
University:
 
Department:
 
Faculty advisor:
 
Office address:
 
Telephone:
 
Fax:
 
E-mail:
 
Home address:
 
Telephone:
 
Fax:
 
E-mail:
 
List key words which describe your research interests:

Specify here any Japanese institutions or researchers at Tsukuba
with whom you have established contacts:
 
Academic degrees (title, institution, major field, and year
obtained).  Give expected date for receipt of Ph.D.:
 
Degree     Institution           Major Field        Year

Date (month and year) when you started graduate studies:
 
Foreign language proficiency (rate as Excellent, Good, Fair, or
None):
 
Languages       Speaking  Proficiency      Reading Proficiency
 
Japanese language background:  Specify courses (university and
course number), other training, and details of any self-study,
giving dates.  Identify textbooks and other instructional
materials used.  Give a self-assessment of your proficiency,
noting any particular strengths.  Note:  This information is
needed for planning the language instruction; proficiency in
Japanese is not a prerequisite for the Institute.
 
Any previous visits to Japan (place, year and duration, and purpose):
 
Signature of Applicant:
Date:
 
List of Institutions at which STA Awards May be Used
 
Fax number
 
Science and Technology Agency
 
 National Aerospace Laboratory      (422) 48-5888
*National Institute for Research in Inorganic Materials
    (298) 52-7449
 National Institute of Radiological Sciences       (472) 56-9616
 National Institute of Science and Technology Policy       (3)
    3503-3996
*National Research Institute for Earth Science and    Disaster
    Prevention      (298) 51-1622
*National Research Institute for Metals      (3) 3792-3337
 Agency of Industrial Science and Technology (AIST),
 Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI)
*Electrotechnical Laboratory           (298) 55-1729
*Fermentation Research Institute      (298) 54-6005
*Geological Survey of Japan      (298) 54-3571
 Gov't Industrial Development Laboratory, Hokkaido  (11)  854-4676
 Government Industrial Research Institute, Chugoku   (823) 73-3284
 Government Industrial Research Institute, Kyushu   (942) 83-0850
 Government Industrial Research Institute, Nagoya   (52) 916-2802
 Government Industrial Research Institute, Osaka   (727) 51-6945
 Government Industrial Research Institute, Shikoku (878) 67-8234
 Government Industrial Research Institute, Tohoku  (22) 236-6839
*Industrial Products Research Institute       (298) 54-6618
*Mechanical Engineering Laboratory       (298) 54-2513
*National Chemical Laboratory for Industry       (298) 54-1397
*National Research Institute for Pollution & Resources  (298)54-3049
*National Research Laboratory of Metrology       (298) 54-4135
*Research Institute for Polymers and Textiles       (298) 54-6233
 
Environment Agency
 
*National Institute for Environmental Studies       (298) 51-4732
 National Institute for Minamata Disease       (966) 63-6844
 
Hokkaido Development Agency
 
 Civil Engineering Research Institute,    Hokkaido Development
    Bureau      (11) 832-5652
 Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries
 Chugoku National Agricultural Experiment Station  (849) 24-7893
*Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute   (298) 74-3720
*Fruit Tree Research Station      (298) 38-6437
 Hokkaido National Agricultural Experiment Station (11) 853-5916
 Hokkaido National Fisheries Research Institute    (154) 91-9355
 The Hokuriku Nat'l Agricultural Experiment Station  (255)24-8578
 Japan Sea National Fisheries Research Institute   (25) 224-0950
 Kyushu National Agricultural Experiment Station   942) 53-7776
 Nansei National Fisheries Research Institute       (829) 54-1216
*National Agriculture Research Center      (298) 38-8484
*National Food Research Institute      (298) 38-7996
 National Grassland Research Institute      (287) 36-6629
*National Inst. of Agrobiological Resources (NIAR) (298)38-7408
*National Institute of Agro-Environmental Sciences (298)38-8199
*National Institute of Animal Health      (298) 38-7880
*National Institute of Animal Industry      (298) 38-8606
*National Institute of Sericultural and Entomological Science (298) 38-6028
     Fax number
 National Research Institute of Agricultural Economics  (3)3940-0232
*National Research Inst. of Agricultural Engineering (298)38-7609
 National Research Institute of Aquaculture       (5996) 6-1962
 National Research Institute of Far Seas Fisheries  (543)35-9642
 National Research Institute of Fisheries Engineering (479)44-1875
 National Research Institute of Fisheries Science (3) 3533-5693
 National Research Institute of Vegetables, Ornamental Plants,and
     Tea  (592) 68-1339
 Seikai National Fisheries Research Institute       (958) 21-4494
 Shikoku National Agricultural Experiment Station  (877) 63-1683
 Tohoku National Agricultural Experiment Station   (196) 41-7794
 Tohoku National Fisheries Research Institute      (22) 367-1250
*Tropical Agriculture Research Center      (298) 38-6316
 
Ministry of Construction
 
*Building Research Institute      (298) 64-2989
*Geographical Survey Institute      (298) 64-1658
*Public Works Research Institute      (298) 64-2840
 
Ministry of Finance
 Central Customs Laboratory      (473) 61-0531
 National Research Institute of Brewing      (3) 3910-6239
 
Ministry of Health and Welfare
 
 Institute of Population Problems      (3) 3591-4816
 Institute of Public Health      (3) 3446-4314
 National Cancer Center      (3) 3545-3567
 National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute  (6)  833-9865
 National Children's Medical Research Center      (3) 3414-3208
 National Institute for Leprosy Research       (423) 94-9092
 National Institute of Health      (3) 3446-6286
 National Institute of Health and Nutrition      (3) 3202-3278
 National Institute of Health Services Management  (3) 3202-6853
 National Institute of Hygienic Sciences      (3) 3707-6950
 National Institute of Mental Health, NCNP       (473) 71-2900
 National Institute of Neuroscience, NCNP       (423) 44-6745
 
Ministry of Home Affairs
 
 Fire Research Institute      (422) 42-7719
 
Ministry of Labour
 
 National Institute of Industrial Health      (44) 865-6116
 National Institute of Industrial Safety      (3) 3452-6565
 
Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications
 
 Communications Research Laboratory      (423) 27-7458
 
Ministry of Transport
 
 Electronic Navigation Research Institute       (422) 41-3169
 Hydrographic Dept., Japan Maritime Safety Agency  (3) 3545-2885
 Institute for Sea Training      (3) 3580-4492
 Marine Technical College      (797) 32-7904
*Meteorological Research Institute      (298) 51-1449
 Port and Harbour Research Institute      (468) 42-9265 Fax number
 Ship Research Institute      (422) 41-3026
 Traffic Safety and Nuisance Research Institute   (422) 41-3233
 
National Police Agency
 
 National Research Institute of Police Science  (3) 3261-9986, ext. 309
 
Non-profit Organizations
 
 Agricultural Policy Research Committee, Inc.     (3) 3910-7267
 Hokkaido River Disaster Prevention Research Center (11)231-3380
 Institute for New Generation Computer Technology (ICOT) (3) 3455-4877
 Institute of Research and Innovation      (3) 5689-6350
 International Association of Traffic & Safety Sciences (3)3272-7054
 International Development Center of Japan      (3) 3630-8120
 International Superconductivity Technology Center (ISTEC) (3) 3431-4044
*Japan Automobile Research Institute, Inc.      (298) 56-1122
 Japan Chemical Analysis Center      (434) 23-5326
 Japan Environmental Sanitation Center      (44) 299-2294
 Japan Fine Ceramics Center      (52) 871-3505
 Japan Weather Association      (3) 3292-7835
 Japan Wildlife Research Center      (3) 3813-8808
 Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research      (3) 3918-0167
 Kanagawa Academy of Science and Technology      (44) 819-2026 Fax number
 Nippon Institute for Biological Science      (428) 31-6166
 Osaka Bioscience Institute      (6)  872-4818
 Overseas Coastal Area Development Institute of Japan  (3)3580-3657
 Radiation Effects Research Foundation      (82) 263-7279
 Railway Technical Research Institute      (425) 73-7255
 Remote Sensing Technology Center of Japan      (3) 3403-1766
 The Research Institute of Tuberculosis      (424) 92-4600
 Sagami Chemical Research Center      (427) 49-7631
 Tottori Mycological Institute      (857) 53-1986
 
Public Corporations
 
 Institute of Agricultural Machinery       (48) 651-9655
 Bio-oriented Technology Research Advancement Institution (BRAIN)
 The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN) (484) 62-4608
 Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute      (3) 3580-6107
*Japan Information Center of Science and Technology (3)3593-3375
 Japan Marine Science and Technology Center       (468) 66-3061
 Japan Sewage Works Agency      (484) 21-7542
*National Space Development Agency of Japan      (3) 3436-2928
 NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation) Science and
    Technical Research Laboratories      (3) 3417-5536
 Power Reactor and Nuclear Fuel Development Corp.  (3) 3583-6386
 Research Development Corporation of Japan (JRDC)      (3) 3581-1486
 
* Laboratories located in Tsukuba City
 
For further information on these research institutes, refer to
National Laboratories and Research Public Corporations in Japan,
a 190-page softbound book in two parts issued in 1988 by Japan's
Science and Technology Agency, or the 1990 revised edition.  That
book, which provides information on each of more than 100
research institutions in Japan, is available in many university
libraries and Offices of Sponsored Programs.
 
Addendum
 
Potential host institutions for the Summer Institute in Japan, in
addition to the laboratories marked by an * above, also include
the following research institutions which are located in Tsukuba:
 
Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture
National Laboratory of High-Energy Physics (KEK)
Tsukuba Botanical Garden, National Science Museum
University of Library and Information Science
University of Tsukuba
Ministry of Health and Welfare
Tsukuba Medicinal Plant Research Station, National
   Institute of Hygienic Sciences      (3) 3707-6950
Tsukuba Primate Center for Medical Science      (2975) 5-0218
 
Public Corporations
 
Tsukuba Life Science Center of the Institute of Physical
   and Chemical Research (RIKEN)      (298)  36-2616
 
In addition, certain corporate laboratories in Tsukuba may also
agree to receive summer interns.
 
Glossary
 
AIST             Agency of Industrial Science and Technology, MITI
CSP              U.S.-Japan Cooperative Science Program
Form 1030        Summary Proposal Budget
Form 1207        Cover Sheet for Proposals to the NSF
Form 1225        Information about Principal Investigators/Project Directors
Form 1239        Current and Pending Support
GRESE            Grants for Research and Education in Science and
                 Engineering, NSF publication 90-77
INT              Division of International Programs, NSF
JRDC             Research Development Corporation of Japan
JSPS             Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
LTV              Long-term Visits
MITI             Ministry of International Trade and Industry
Monbusho         Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture
NACSIS           National Center for Science Information
                 Systems, Monbusho
NSF              National Science Foundation
PPP              U.S.-Japan Cooperative Photoconversion and
                 Photosynthesis Research Program
SoAR             State-of-the-Art Review
STA              Science and Technology Agency of Japan
 
NACSIS:
NSF Gateway To Japan's University-Based National Science
Information System
 
The National Science Foundation (NSF) offers U.S. scientists and
engineers free search services for scientific information from
Japan.
 
Japan's National Center for Science Information Systems (NACSIS)
provides NSF on-line access at no charge to the science data
bases associated with Japan's Ministry of Education, Science, and
Culture. NACSIS has provided three IBM 5550 computer systems to
enable direct access to the Japanese data bases.  Two of the
computers, located in Room 416-A at NSF's Washington, D.C.,
offices, are made available to the American research community by
NSF's Division of Networking and Communications Research and
Infrastructure, the Office of Information Systems, and the
Division of International Programs.
 
As of December 1990, the following nine Japanese data bases were
available:
 
Database                     Content and compiling institution
(Date of start; Update frequency:  Number of records)
 
Grant-in-aid Research Reports
 
1985-; monthly:  41,372)     Abstracts of annual reports of
(Japanese name: KAKEN        research projects subsidized by grants-in-aid
                             for scientific research from the Ministry of
                             Education,  Science, and Culture.  Com-
                             piled by NACSIS.
 
Conference Papers of Academic Societies and Associations (Series1)
(1987-; monthly:  36,160)   Abstracts of papers presented at conferen-
(Japanese name:  GAKKAI1)   ces and meetings of seven academic
                            societies in the fields of electronics, electri-
                            city, information processing, and control.
                            Compiled by NACSIS.
 
Conference Papers of Academic Societies and Associations (Series 2)
(1988-; monthly:   3,993)   Citations with abstracts of papers
(Japanese name:  GAKKAI2)   presented at conferences and
                            meetings of academic societies in the field
                            of chemistry.  Compiled by NACSIS.
 
Index to Dissertations
(1984-; monthly:  48,721)  Index to doctoral theses submitted
(Japanese name:  GAKUI)    to Japanese universities.  Compiled by
                           NACSIS.
 
Union Catalogue of Japanese Books
Bibliography:  401,833     Union catalogue of books in the
Holdings:     1,905,825    Japanese language held by university
(JBCAT)                    libraries in Japan.  Compiled by NACSIS.
 
Union Catalogue of Foreign Books
Bibliography:  901,885     Union catalogue of books in Western
Holdings:     1,626,877    languages held by university
(FBCAT)                    libraries in Japan.  Compiled by NACSIS.
 
Union Catalogue of Japanese Serials
 
Bibliography:  53,477      Union list of serials in the Japanese
Holdings:    1,095,783     language held by university libraries in
(JSCAT)                    Japan.
 
     Compiled by NACSIS in collaboration
     with 888 university libraries.
 
Union Catalogue of Foreign Serials
bibliography: 105,053      Union list of serials in Western
Holdings:     866,416      languages held by university libraries in
(FSCAT)                    Japan. Compiled by NACSIS in collaboration with
                           926 university libraries.
 
Database Directory
 
(1984-; annually: 1,027)   Directory of databases created or served
(DBDR)                     at Japanese universities.  Compiled by
                           NACSIS
 
NSF employs a Japanese-language-capable operator who assists U.S.
researchers with:
 
1. Requested Searches: Bibliographic searches are made upon
request and the findings summarized in English.
 
2.  Personal Searches: Researchers may also arrange to come to
NSF and use the facility in person.
 
NSF's purpose is to provide the maximum amount of information to
the American research community within the resources available.
Two general limits concerning the output of the data base
searches must be observed:  the total amount of output generated
by an inquiry, and the Japanese to English translation required.
Although the data bases contain some entries in English, most are
in Japanese, so many researchers will require translation of
Japanese-language bibliographic citations and abstracts resulting
from the searches.  NSF's operator as a rule will translate all
bibliographic and keyword items and, upon request, a small number
of abstracts as time permits.  When appropriate, the NSF operator
may modify the search criteria to improve the results.
Requesters are always welcome to submit follow-up requests.
 
NSF is also exploring the feasibility of transmitting Japanese-
language material via electronic mail to users who can handle it
and, in the longer run, of providing remote on-line access over
the Internet.  Therefore, NSF's Division of Networking and
Communications Research and Infrastructure (CISE/NCRI) welcomes
inquiries from computer and communications scientists interested
in conducting research, especially in cooperation with Japanese
counterparts, into the questions of interoperability, protocols,
and standards relevant to that effort.
 
To request a search, to reserve time on the system, or to obtain
further information, please call the NACSIS operator at (202)
357-7278 between the hours of 1 and 4 p.m., EST, on weekdays.  At
other times, NSF's voice messaging system will record inquiries.
Alternatively, you may send messages by electronic mail to
 
  [email-masked]   (Internet) or
  nacsis@nsf          (BitNet)
 
The third NACSIS terminal is available at the Library of
Congress:
 
       Science Reading Room (fifth floor)
       John Adams Building
       110 2nd Street, S.E.
       Washington, D.C.  20540
       Tel:  (202) 707-5664
 
from 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon and from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., EST.
Search Requests
 
Translation from Japanese is extraordinarily labor-intensive.
The NACSIS operator will contact you if an excessive number of
records is retrieved or if translation is required beyond the
translator's time available.  Translations into English, which
are furnished solely as a convenience to American users, are
provided without warranty as to their accuracy or completeness.
 
NACSIS has asked that all requesters comply with the following
conditions for use of its data bases:
 
1. No part of the data bases may be reproduced for
redistribution, whether as a printout or in machine-readable
form.
 
2. The search results should be used to support scientific and
engineering research.  Results are not to be sold by the
recipient.
 
The NACSIS data bases contain over 2.2 million items; please be
as precise as possible in framing your request.  Following the
format in the example below, please give several keywords, to
reduce the number of records retrieved.  Any equivalent Japanese
key words you can provide (in romaji transliteration or in kanji)
will help us conduct a faster, more thorough search.
 
Example:
 
Key words and equivalents in Japanese:
(and alternatives): lactic acid bacteria       kousankin
lactobacillus  kousankankinriku
 
Limits:
 
 Subject matter: Not antibody (koutai)
 Authors:
 Data bases to be searched: Kaken, Gakkai1, or Gakui
 Dates: since 6/90
 Other:
 
Please contact the NACSIS search operator at (202) 357-7278
(between the hours of 1 and 4 p.m., EST, on weekdays) if you have
any questions.
 
Cut here and mail the form below.
 
Search Request
 
Key words and equivalents in Japanese (if known):
   (and alternatives):
 
Limits:
 
 Subject matter:
 Authors:
 Data bases to be searched:  Kaken, Gakkai1, Gakkai2, Gakui, JBCAT,
  FBCAT, JSCAT, FSCAT, or DBDR
 
 Dates:
 Other:
 Name:
 Institution:
 Address:
 
Telephone number and electronic mail address:
 
Please check the appropriate boxes:
 
1. I ____ do  ____ do not require translation into English of
Japanese-      only items.
 
2. I ____ do  ____ do not have access to a computer capable of
displaying Japanese text (kana and kanji).
 
Code used: ____ 8-bit (____ Shift-JIS, ____ EUC);
 
           ____ 7-bit (____ New JIS, ____ Old JIS, ____ NEC);
 
           ____ other:  _________________
 
I agree to comply with the conditions stated above which NACSIS
has placed on the use of information from its data bases.
 
        Signature                                       Date
 
Mail completed search requests to the following address:
 
          NACSIS Search Operator
          Room 416-A
          National Science Foundation
          Washington, D.C.  20550
 
OMB No.     3145-0058
3145-0023
 
..stis file is nsf90144
..expires May 1992
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).