Subject: NSF Program Guideline - Minority & Postdoc
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 91 11:13 EST

Hi Paul,
   Please post this to the NIH Listserver as:
      PDGTRAVEL.911108
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF91118-MINORITY POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS
              AND MINORITY GRADUATE STUDENT TRAVEL AWARD
Type        : Program Guideline
NSF Contact : BBS
Date        : November 1, 1991

MINORITY POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
 
and
 
MINORITY GRADUATE STUDENT TRAVEL AWARD
 
Program Announcement
 
DIRECTORATE FOR BIOLOGICAL, BEHAVIORAL, AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
 
Deadlines:
 
For Postdoctoral Fellowship:      December 1, Annually
 
For Travel Awards:   July 1, October 1,
                     January 1 and April 1, Annually
 
NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION

 
National Science Foundation
Directorate for Biological, Behavioral, and Social Sciences
Minority Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Program
 
The Biological, Behavioral and Social Sciences (BBS) Directorate
of the National Science Foundation (NSF) announces the continuation
of a program of Postdoctoral Research Fellowships (Fellowships) for
U.S. minorities underrepresented in science. This program is part
of an effort by the NSF to increase the number of research
scientists from underrepresented minority groups, thereby
contributing to the future vitality of the nation's scientific
enterprise. The deadline for submission is December 1 annually.
 
The goal of the program is to produce broadly trained minority
research scientists who will be prepared to assume positions of
scientific leadership in academia. To attain this goal, the program
will provide opportunities for postdoctoral training of the highest
quality to the group of recent minority Ph.D.s selected as NSF-BBS
Minority Postdoctoral Research Fellows (Fellows).
 
In recognition of the need for future scientists with broad
international perspectives, an emphasis on research experience in
foreign institutions has been added this year to previous selection
criteria. Applicants who plan to spend at least six months of their
Fellowship tenure gaining useful research experience at an
appropriate foreign institution will be given preference if other
factors in the evaluation are comparable.
 
The program has several special features that address particular
needs of this population of recent Ph.D.s. These features are:
 
1. Assistance with identifying postdoctoral sponsors. If requested
by the postdoctoral candidate, appropriate Program Officers at the
NSF will assist candidates and their thesis advisors in identifying
potential postdoctoral mentors (see page 3 for details).
 
2. Travel awards to visit laboratories. Travel awards will support
visits by potential Fellows to two or three possible host
institutions so that they may meet prospective mentors, present
seminars, discuss mutual research interests and initiate a working
relationship (see page 5 for details).
 
3. Workshop for sponsors and Fellows. The NSF will host an annual
workshop for mentors and Fellows to provide a forum for discussing
ways to foster the most productive and supportive training
environment during the postdoctoral period (see page 3 for
details).
 
4. Starter research grant. At the end of the postdoctoral period,
the Fellow will be eligible to apply for a one-year starter grant
to initiate an independent, academic research program (see page 2
for details).
 
This program is designed to facilitate selection of the research
and training environment most beneficial to scientific development.
Applicants are expected to submit a research and training plan that
is in a field or subfield other than that of their doctoral
experience. In general, the change of field or subfield, considered
an essential aspect of the Fellowship, requires a change of
institution from the doctoral and/or current institution. If a
change is not proposed, the application must provide an explicit
explanation. This research and training plan should be developed
in collaboration with the sponsoring mentor.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
You are eligible to apply for a National Science Foundation BBS
Minority Postdoctoral Research Fellowship if:
 
1. You are a national of the United States or a lawfully admitted
permanent resident alien and a member of one of the ethnic minority
groups that is underrepresented in science and engineering; i.e.,
American Indians, Alaskan Natives, Blacks, Hispanics, and Native
Pacific Islanders. Native refers to nationals of the United States
which denotes a citizen of the United States or a native resident
of a possession of the United States such as American Samoa;
 
2. You have earned the doctoral degree in an appropriate
biological, behavioral, or social science no more than four years
before the closing date of your application, or will have earned
this degree no more than one year after the closing date of your
application;
 
3. You will not have completed two or more years of postdoctoral
support at the time of initiation of this fellowship; and,
 
4. Your research interests fall within the program areas of the BBS
Directorate (see descriptions of the programs in the most recent
NSF Guide to Programs. Please note that NSF normally will not
support biomedical research with disease-related goals, including
work on the etiology, diagnosis, or treatment of physical or mental
disease, abnormality, or malfunction in human beings or animals.
Animal models of such conditions, or the development or testing of
drugs or other procedures for their treatment also generally are
not eligible for support.
 
LOCATION OF WORK
 
Fellowships will be awarded for scientific research at any
appropriate nonprofit United States or foreign institution.
Appropriate nonprofit institutions in this program include
institutions of higher education as well as government
laboratories, national laboratories, and private institutes. NSF,
in collaboration with some professional scientific societies, may
be able to assist in the identification of potential postdoctoral
mentors, but all arrangements for affiliation with a senior
scientist and Fellowship institution are the responsibility of the
Fellow. A statement from the senior scientist with whom the Fellow
plans to work, indicating both a commitment for research facilities
and other assistance during the requested fellowship period, is
required. A Fellow proposing to attend a foreign institution will
be required to submit evidence of acceptance by that mentor and
institution prior to initiating the Fellowship.
 
In an effort to increase international collaboration among
researchers in BBS disciplines, and to promote broadening of
perspectives of future scientists, BBS is encouraging Fellows who
choose a host institution in the U.S. to spend at least six months
of the fellowship tenure at an appropriate foreign institution.
This should be outlined in the training and research plan. Although
a prior acceptance from the proposed foreign institution for a
short visit is not necessary at the proposal stage, a supporting
letter may be submitted with the proposal. The arrangements must
be confirmed and be approved by the NSF prior to award of the
Fellowship.
 
If the Fellowship is to be carried out in Japan for a period of
more than six months, the NSF International Program provides
special allowances in addition to those described below for the
standard fellowship.
 
FELLOWSHIP TENURE, STIPENDS, AND ALLOWANCES
 
The Fellowship is awarded initially for two years. Under special
circumstances during the last year, a Fellow may apply for
extension of the Fellowship for an additional year. Such
application must be made prior to the expiration date. Fellows who
spend the entire two-year tenure at a foreign institution may
request the third year extension to complete Fellowship research
and training at an appropriate U.S. institution.
 
The Fellowship will start upon request by the Fellow after
acceptance of an award offer, but not later than the following
January 1.
 
The Fellowship provides a stipend, an institutional allowance to
aid in defraying costs associated with research, and a special
allowance for certain kinds of direct research-related costs, as
described below. The stipend is $28,000 per year. No additional
funds for a dependency allowance are available.
 
The institutional allowance of $2,400 per year is for partial
reimbursement of expenses incurred in support of the research (such
as space, equipment, secretarial assistance, and general purpose
supplies) and will be paid directly to the institution in lieu of
indirect costs.
 
The special allowance of $4,600 per year is expendable at the
Fellow's discretion and is intended to be used for scientific
supplies, special travel, publication expenses, and other
research-related costs. It also may be used for the Fellow's health
insurance.
 
An allowance normally will be offered to aid in defraying travel
costs to the Fellowship institution from either the Fellow's place
of permanent residence or the place from which the application is
filed if the distance exceeds 200 miles and the travel takes place
after April 15 in the year the Fellowship is awarded.
 
Fellows who will be conducting approved research and training at
a foreign institution for a period of at least six months will be
provided round-trip coach airfare if no other sources of travel
funds are available. No travel funds will be provided for
dependents.
 
For those applicants who intend to hold their Fellowship at an
appropriate Japanese institution for more than six months,
supplemental support may be provided by the NSF US-Japan Program,
which is seeking to expand relations between the U.S. and Japanese
research communities by sending U.S. researchers to Japan.
 
In addition to the regular Fellowship stipend, Fellows are eligible
to receive support for Japanese language study, round-trip travel
support, and, while in Japan, allowances for housing, professional
travel within Japan, and dependents' travel, housing, and
education. Each award will take into account actual housing needs,
locale, and other factors affecting the cost of living during one's
Fellowship period. Arrangements for affiliation with a Japanese
host scientist and institution are the responsibility of the
applicant and must be addressed in the original proposal. A
statement is required from the host scientist with whom the
applicant plans to work, indicating a commitment for appropriate
facilities and consultation during the requested period of tenure.
 
For further details, obtain NSF's most recent Japan Program
Announcement, which is widely available on U.S. campuses from
department chairs, deans' offices, and Offices of Sponsored
Research. Additional copies may be obtained by writing to NSF's
Publications Unit, Room 232, National Science Foundation,
Washington, D.C. 20550, or ordered by e-mail to [email-masked]
(Internet) or to pubs@nsf (Bitnet). Further questions concerning
this program can be directed to US-Japan Program by calling (202)
357-9558.
 
STARTER RESEARCH GRANT
 
During the last year of the Fellowship, a Fellow may request a
special starter grant if he or she has accepted a tenure-track
position at an academic institution. The maximum amount available
per starter grant is $35,000 total direct costs for one year, and
requires matching funds on a 2:1 basis from the institution. The
funds provided both by the NSF and the institution must exclude
salary for the Fellow and must be used only for costs directly
related to the conduct of research (not renovations of space).
 
EVALUATION AND SELECTION OF FELLOWS
 
The evaluation of applicants will be based on:
 
1. Ability, as evidenced by past research and by letters of
recommendation;
 
2. Suitability, availability, and commitment of the sponsoring
senior scientist and other associated colleagues;
 
3. Suitability of the host institution for the proposed research;
 
4. Likely impact on the future scientific development of the
applicant;
 
5. Scientific quality of the research; and,
 
6. Intent to develop international linkages.
 
Applications will be evaluated by a panel of research scientists
comprising representatives from appropriate disciplines.
 
The selection of Fellows will be made by the NSF on the basis of
recommendations of the panel and with due consideration for the
effect of awards on the infrastructure of science in the United
States. Priority will be given to applicants who are currently
graduate students about to enter their first year of postdoctoral
training, and to those applicants whose plan includes at least 6
months tenure in a host institution outside the United States.
Successful applicants will be notified by letter in the spring.
 
FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND MATERIALS
 
To be eligible for consideration, an application must be complete.
Local reproductions of all forms are acceptable. Type width must
not be smaller than 12 characters per inch; type height must be
standard size which is 10 to 12 points.
 
1. One signed original and five copies of each of the following
must be received by NSF by the December 1 closing date:
 
(a) The completed application form (Appendix I);
 
(b) A personal statement from the candidate (not to exceed one
single-spaced page) that describes the career goals of the
applicant and what role the chosen research, sponsoring senior
scientist and host institution will play in enhancing the
applicant's conceptual approach and technical skills;
 
(c) An up-to-date curriculum vitae;
 
(d) A list of the applicant's publications and a reprint of each;
and an abstract of the doctoral thesis, not to exceed 500 words;
 
(e) A training and research plan (not to exceed three single-spaced
typewritten pages) which describes the background and objectives
of the research to be conducted during the Fellowship period,
including a statement indicating the change of field or subfield
from that of the doctoral experience, and any plans for study
outside the United States;
 
(f) An abstract, not to exceed 500 words, of the training and
research plan; and
 
(g) In accordance with provisions of the Drug-Free Workplace Act
(P.L. 100-690), and OMB Circular A-129, all Fellowship applicants
are required to execute the certifications contained in Appendix
V.
 
2. One copy of NSF Form 1225. Complete the first column only with
information about the applicant. (Appendix IV).
 
3. Send directly to the address below a statement from the
sponsoring senior scientist(s) indicating commitment and agreement
to work with the applicant if an award is made.
 
4. Send directly to the address below three recommendations from
persons other than the postdoctoral sponsor/mentor, and including
one from the doctoral adviser. Be sure to provide a copy of your
training and research plan to these referees. Recommendations must
be prepared on the forms provided in Appendix III (copy forms if
needed).
 
5. ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS, INCLUDING APPENDICES, MUST BE
RECEIVED BY THE DECEMBER 1 CLOSING DATE. Completed applications and
supporting materials are to be sent to the address below. It is the
applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required materials
are received by NSF by the deadline date. Incomplete applications
will be returned.
 
Minority Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
 
 (NSF 91-118)
 
Biological, Behavioral and Social Sciences Directorate
 
National Science Foundation
 
1800 G Street, N.W., Room 312
 
Washington, D.C. 20550
 
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE MINORITY POSTDOCTORAL
FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
 
I. Special Assistance for Postdoctoral Candidates Seeking
Postdoctoral Sponsors
 
If requested, Program Officers representing specific disciplines
of BBS will assist postdoctoral candidates and their advisors in
identifying possible mentors. Program Officers may refer candidates
to professional societies which have placement services listing
scientists seeking postdoctoral fellows. Some professional
societies have committees that assist candidates in identifying
sponsors. Program Officers will share any other pertinent
information about the discipline and the breadth of researchers in
the field. All eligible applicants are encouraged to take advantage
of this assistance. Candidates should call or write the BBS
Minority Postdoctoral Fellowship Program Coordinator at the NSF
(202) 357-7567, who will refer them to the appropriate NSF program
in BBS.
 
II. Workshop for Postdoctoral Mentors and Fellows
 
All current Fellows and mentors will be invited annually to the NSF
for a one-day workshop. The purpose of the workshop will be to
promote the development and growth of Fellows. The workshop will
include scientific presentations by Fellows and mentors in the
program. The workshop will allow program participants to meet each
other, share experiences, and get to know NSF Program Officers.
Participation in the workshop by both Fellows and mentors is
considered an important part of the Fellowship program.
 
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT
 
All awards are made subject to the general provisions in the
brochure entitled Information for Minority Postdoctoral Fellows,
which is mailed to successful applicants. This Program Announcement
covers, in general terms, the information contained in the
brochure.
 
Fellows will be expected to devote full time to appropriate
scientific research during the tenure of the Fellowship and to
pursue the program for which the Fellowship was awarded. Major
changes in the plan of scientific research, in tenure, or in
Fellowship institution require prior NSF approval.
 
Institutions may supplement Fellowship stipends without prior
permission from NSF provided that such is done in accordance with
established institutional policies. Supplementation may not be
conditioned on any requirement for duties in addition to normal
Fellowship activities and may involve teaching only to the extent
of conducting or participating in seminars directly related to the
Fellow's research program.
 
In the context of the above guidelines, funds that the institution
has obtained from external (including Federal) sources may be
considered as institutional funds. When appropriate, NSF project
grants may be used for supplementation in an amount not to exceed
$1,000 per year for any Federally-assisted Fellow.
 
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
 
NSF claims no rights to any inventions or writings that might
result from its Fellowship awards. However, Fellows should be aware
that the NSF, any other Federal agency, or some private party may
acquire such rights through other support for particular research.
Also, Fellows should note their obligation to include an
Acknowledgment and Disclaimer in any publication which arises from
their Fellowship-supported research.
 
PRIVACY ACT NOTICE
 
The information requested on the application materials is solicited
under the authority of the National Science Foundation Act of 1950,
as amended, and is of three types. Information related to
citizenship, ethnic minority group, field of study and prior
educational experience is used to determine the eligibility of
applicants to apply in this competition. Personal data, such as
social security number, are used in correlating application
materials and transcripts, particularly for applicants with similar
names. The remaining information, such as honors received,
educational background, and statements of study and career plans,
assists reviewers in evaluating the qualifications of applicants
for Fellowships. The information supplied will be used and
disclosed only in connection with the selection of Fellows and the
administration of Fellowships, and will not be disclosed for any
other purpose, except as part of statistical reports in a form
which would not allow identification of individual applicants, or
in a formal announcement of awards made. See NSF System of Records,
Principal Investigator/Proposal File and Associated Records,
Federal Register 12073 (March 30, 1990). Submission of the
requested information is voluntary; failure to provide full and
complete information, however, may reduce the possibility of your
receiving an award.
 
Public reporting burden for this collection of information is
estimated to average 12 hours per response, including the time for
reviewing instructions, searching existing data sources, gathering
and maintaining the data needed and completing and reviewing the
collection of information. Send comments regarding this burden
estimate or any other aspect of this collection of information,
including suggestions for reducing this burden, to:
 
Herman G. Fleming
 
Reports Clearance Officer
 
Division of Personnel and Management
 
National Science Foundation
 
Washington, D.C. 20550
 
and to:
 
Office of Management and Budget
 
Paper Reduction Project (3145-0058)
 
Washington, D.C. 20503
 
DESCRIPTION OF RESEARCH PROGRAMS IN THE BBS DIRECTORATE
 
Descriptions of programs in the BBS Directorate can be found in the
most current NSF Guide to Programs. More detailed information for
each Division, including names of the Program Officers, and all
other publications mentioned in this Program Announcement can be
obtained from the NSF Forms and Publications office (telephone
202-357-7668), Room 232, 1800 G Street, N.W., Washington, D.C.
20550.
 
If you are a user of electronic mail and have access to either
BITNET or Internet, you may prefer to order publications
eletronically. BITNET users should address requests to pubs@nsf.
Internet users should send requests to [email-masked]. In your
request, include the NSF publication number and title, number of
copies, your name, and a complete mailing address. Publications
will be mailed within 2 days of receipt of request.
 
NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
 
BIOLOGICAL, BEHAVIORAL AND SOCIAL SCIENCES TRAVEL AWARDS FOR
MINORITY GRADUATE STUDENTS
 
Graduate students who are within 18 months of their Ph.D. degrees
or who otherwise meet the eligibility requirements for a Fellowship
may apply for a travel (planning) award. The purpose of the travel
award is to assist the candidate in the selection of a postdoctoral
mentor and in the development of a postdoctoral training plan. The
award covers airfare and living expenses while visiting the
prospective host scientist's institution. The travel award may also
support attendance at professional meetings for the express purpose
of meeting with potential mentors. Graduate students can apply for
travel funds to cover a maximum of three such visits; the total
amount of the travel award shall not exceed $3,000.00 per student.
No indirect costs will be allowed.
 
Graduate students should discuss the selection of potential
postdoctoral mentors with their thesis advisors and obtain a letter
of recommendation from the advisor including a statement of the
advisor's concurrence with the selections. A letter from each host
scientist is required also.
 
It is anticipated that more travel awards will be granted than
Fellowships. The granting of a travel award provides no assurance
of a Fellowship. If a postdoctoral mentor already has been chosen,
a graduate student may apply directly for the Fellowship without
applying for a travel award.
 
To be eligible for consideration for a travel award, an application
must be completed. Local reproductions of all forms are acceptable.

1. Applicants must submit one signed original and five copies of
each of the following:
 
a. the completed travel award application form (Appendix VI;
 
b. a personal statement (not to exceed one single-spaced page) that
describes the career goals of the applicant;
 
c. an up-to-date curriculum vitae;
 
d. a travel plan that describes the purpose of each trip and the
itinerary during the travel;
 
e. statements from the sponsoring scientists at the proposed host
institutions indicating agreement with the travel plan to the host
institutions or to the proposed professional meeting; and
 
f. a letter of recommendation and a statement from the thesis
advisor indicating support of the travel plans.
 
2. One copy of NSF Form 1225. Complete the first column only with
information about the applicant. (Appendix IV).
 
Application materials for a travel award should be submitted by one
of the following target dates: July 1; October 1; January 1; or
April 1.
 
 The Foundation provides awards for research in the sciences and
engineering. The awardee is wholly responsible for the conduct of
such research and preparation of the results for publication. The
Foundation, therefore, does not assume responsibility for such
findings or their interpretation. Facilitation Awards for
Scientists and Engineers with Disabilities provide funding for
special assistance or equipment to enable persons with disabilities
(investigators and other staff, including student research
assistants) to work on an NSF project. See the program announcement
(NSF 84-62; revised), or contact the Program Coordinator in the
Directorate for Education and Human Resources (202) 357-7456.
 
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance Number 47.051, Biological,
Behavioral, and Social Sciences Grants.
 
The National Science Foundation has TDD (Telephonic Device for the
Deaf) capability which enables people with a hearing impairment to
communicate with the Division of Personnel and Management for
information relating to NSF programs, employment, or general
information. This number is (202) 357-7492.
 
The term minority as used in this announcement refers to those
ethnic groups that are significantly underrepresented at advanced
levels of science and engineering, i.e. American Indians, Blacks,
Hispanics, Alaskan Natives and Native Pacific Islanders. Native
refers to nationals of the United States, which denotes a citizen
of the United States or a native resident of a possession of the
United States such as American Samoa.

 
IMPORTANT CHANGES IN THESE GUIDELINES
 
  There are some important changes made in these guidelines from
previous editions. Please read the Announcement carefully. Chief
among the changes are two in the eligibility criteria and one
involving tenure outside the United States. They are:
 
  1._All persons of Hispanic heritage, not just those from Mexico
and Puerto Rico, are now eligible. Please see the Section on
Eligibility.
 
  2._Persons who have attained permanent resident alien status are
now eligible. Please see the Section on Eligibility.
 
  3._The Biological, Behavioral and Social Sciences are encouraging
applicants to consider study in institutions outside the United
States. Please see the Sections on Location of Work; Fellowship
Tenure, Stipends, and Allowances; and Evaluation and Selection of
Fellows.
 
OMB 3145-0023
PT 22, 34, FF
KW 1002000,
0400000
 
NSF 91-118
replaces NSF 90-53

..stis file is nsf91118
..expires with new edition
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or info@NSF (BITNET).
The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in the *text*
of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).