Subject: NIH GUIDE - RFA AA-91-02 - V20(25) 06/28/91
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 10:03 EST

Hi Paul,
This is part 4 of 6 of this week's NIH Guide.  Please post this one
to the NIH Listserver as:  RFAAA-91-02.910628.
       Thanks, Mary Broaddus
 
$$XID RFA AA9102 AA-91-02 P1O1 *****************************************
 
REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS
 
RFA:  AA-91-02
 
P.T. 04; K.W. 0404003, 0745020, 0745027, 0755030, 0745070
 
ALCOHOL RESEARCH CENTER GRANTS
 
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  October 1, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  December 16, 1991
 
I.     INTRODUCTION
 
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) provides
grant support for Alcohol Research Centers to conduct interdisciplinary
research on alcoholism and alcohol abuse.  The Center grants program is
interrelated with and complementary to all other research support
mechanisms and scientific activities that comprise the NIAAA programs of
research on the nature, causes, diagnosis, treatment, control,
prevention, and consequences of alcohol abuse and alcoholism.  NIAAA
currently supports 14 Centers and anticipates that the level of support
for this program will not expand during this competition.  Applications
for new Centers will be evaluated with applications from currently
funded Centers seeking renewal support beyond December 1, 1992.  Grants
are typically awarded for a five-year period.
 
The application receipt date is December 16, 1991.  It is estimated that
approximately $13-14 million will be available in FY 1993 to fund
approximately eight Centers.  Continuation support in the future years
is anticipated; however, the amount of support available will depend on
appropriated funds.  Under this announcement, NIAAA will accept
applications for support of specialized Centers (P50) that include core
as well as research components.
 
II.  PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM
 
The Alcohol Research Centers Grant program is designed to complement the
research project grants program of the NIAAA by providing long-term
(typically, for five years) support for interdisciplinary research
programs with a distinct focus on a particular theme relating to
alcoholism, alcohol abuse, and other alcohol-related problems.  The
program is intended to encourage outstanding scientists from biomedical,
behavioral, social science, and other relevant disciplines to bring a
full range of expertise, approaches, and advanced technologies to the
study of problems related to alcohol abuse and alcoholism.  Research to
improve knowledge of other drug abuse and mental disorders that co-occur
with alcohol abuse disorders is also encouraged.  Center grants help to
provide a stable environment for investigators to engage in alcohol
research in a coordinated and integrated effort.  A Center is expected
to be a source of scientific excellence and, through sustained
excellence, to become a significant regional or national research
resource.  In addition, the applicant institution is expected to afford
opportunities for research training to persons from various disciplines
and professions.
 
A specialized Center is a comprehensive, broadly based,
multidisciplinary, multi-investigator, long-term program of combined
research and research support activity planned around a specific major
research objective or research theme.  In addition to providing support
for shared resources, this type of Center supports a full range of
basic, developmental, clinical, and/or applied research components;
allows for growth and development through pilot projects; and is
intended to provide state-of-the-art leadership in the alcohol field.
 
III.  ELIGIBILITY
 
Any domestic, public (non-Federal) or private, non-profit or for-profit,
institution may apply for a Center grant.  However, the proposed Center
must be affiliated with an institution, such as a university, medical
center, or research center, that has the resources to sustain a
long-term, coordinated research program.  An applicant institution must
demonstrate the ability to attract high-quality scientists from
biomedical, behavioral, and/or social science disciplines who are
willing to make a long-term commitment to research.  An application must
also have a detailed five-year plan for a proposed research program.  In
addition, the applicant must assure that research training opportunities
will be available.  Women and minority investigators are encouraged to
apply.
 
IV.  APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
 
All proposed research to be conducted within a Center must be clearly
directed toward one or more of the following goals:  prevalence,
etiology, diagnosis, prediction, clinical course, management or
treatment of alcohol abuse, alcoholism, or alcohol-related health
problems; consequences of alcoholism or alcohol abuse; and factors that
relate to prevention of alcohol abuse, alcoholism, or other problems
associated with alcohol consumption.
 
The Alcohol Research Center grant provides a mechanism for fostering
interdisciplinary cooperation in a group of established investigators
conducting high-quality alcohol research.  Therefore, existence of a
strong research capability is fundamental to the establishment of a new
Center or the continuation of an existing Center.  A Center should be an
identifiable organizational unit within an institutional or
organizational structure such as a university, medical center, or a
consortium of affiliated cooperating institutions.
 
A. Definitions
 
1.  Administrative Core Component
 
A Center must promote synergistic interaction of broad and diverse
elements that require clearly specified lines of authority and
accountability by appropriate institutional officials.  The purpose of
the administrative core component is to provide the organizational
framework for the management, direction, and coordination of the Center.
The administrative core component must be managed by the Center Director
or Scientific Director and may include funds for scientific enrichment
activities such as special lectures, visiting scientists, symposia,
seminars, and workshops; and for education and research dissemination
activities for the public.
 
2.  Scientific Core Components
 
Core components for this RFA are defined as shared research resources
that enhance productivity or in other ways benefit a group of
investigators working in alcohol-related research to accomplish the
stated goals of the Center.  A core component is a laboratory, facility,
service, or resource that interacts synergistically with research
projects of the Center.  Research projects that use the core may be
funded primarily from the Center grant award (Specialized Research
Center), from other support mechanisms such as Research Project Grants,
Program Projects, or a combination thereof.  Core components must
provide investigators with some technique, instrumentation, service, or
resource in a way that will enhance research progress and contribute to
effectiveness.  Each core component is directed by an investigator with
established expertise relative to the support or service to be provided,
usually a faculty member or equivalent.  Some examples of research
support that core components typically provide are:  (1) technology that
lends itself to automation or large-batch preparation; (2) tissue and/or
cell culture facilities; (3) complex instrumentation, e.g., electron
microscopy, mass spectrometry, electrophysiology; (4) animal care and
preparation; (5) service and training; (6) patient coordination; and (7)
information processing, data management, and statistical services.
 
3.  Research Components
 
Research components are individual scientifically meritorious research
projects that are interrelated.  As a group, research components
contribute to the overall goals of the Center program to a greater
extent than if each project were to be pursued separately.  Each
research component must be under the direction of a component director
who may also be the Center Director.  The component director is an
established researcher of independent and scientifically recognized
standing who is responsible for the scientific direction and conduct of
an individual research component of a Center.
 
4.  Pilot Project Component
 
The purpose of pilot projects is to provide the Center with a flexible
means to develop and explore new research activities or directions, and
unique scientific opportunities that could evolve into independently
funded research projects.  These funds are not intended to supplement
ongoing research projects.  Pilot projects should be in a separate pilot
project core component that incorporates all of the pilot studies of the
proposed Center grant.
 
B. General Requirements
 
Details for preparing the application are provided in the "Special
Instructions" listed below.
 
Center grant applications must be logically organized into discrete
components that comprise a proposed program of research.  Each component
is either a research component or a core component for which a separate
detailed budget is included in the application.  The application must
include an administrative core and at least three research components,
and may also include shared resource cores and/or a pilot project core
component.
 
A maximum and minimum number of components that will be accepted for
Center grant applications has been established.  The minimum acceptable
combined number of research components and core components is four
(three of which must be research components).  The maximum combined
number of research components and core components, including any pilot
project core component, is ten for the total project period.  The
research plan for each core component and each research component is
limited to 20 pages.  Pages not used for one component may not be used
to extend the page limit of other components/cores.  These page limits
do not apply to pilot projects.  For pilot project requirements, see
section entitled "Pilot Project Component."
 
1.  Administrative Core Component
 
The administrative core component will play a key role in the
coordination and operation of the Center.  This core must be described
in sufficient detail to assure that all proposed components and related
activities will function optimally.  An important function of this core
is the administration of the budget.  Through this component, the Center
Director provides substantive leadership and manages the administrative
core component.  This component may also include the costs of scientific
enrichment, education, and information dissemination activities.  The
administrative core should also provide for integration of Center
functions.
 
2.  Scientific Core Components
 
Each shared resource component must be clearly described in terms of the
services/resources to be provided to investigators.  The description
must include a discussion of the core's contributions to the research
objectives of the Center.  Relevant aspects of cost effectiveness, time
saving, and increased efficiency attributable to the existence of the
cores must also be addressed.  A core component may support Center grant
research components and separately funded research project grants that
are related to the Center's theme.  Each separately funded research
project associated with the Center and utilizing core facilities must
have a two-page description that includes its research objectives and
how the Center's core facility will impact upon it.  The minimum number
of research components/projects supported by a core component is two.
Each core component director must have experience and scientific
expertise relative to the purpose of each core.  This person must be an
established scientist.  The description of the organization and mode of
operation of the shared resource core must include discussion of quality
control for the service or resource, and the procedures for evaluating
and selecting projects eligible for use of the facility.  Training in
complex techniques and methods must be described if they are functions
in proposed cores.  Core components are intended to enhance
opportunities for investigators at the Center to include new
technologies that broaden their research initiatives.  Research is an
appropriate initiative of a core when it is directly related to
improving the operation, function, quality, or utility of the core.
 
Renewal applications must describe oncoing and completed core activities
that have enhanced or facilitated research.  Past performance and
accomplishments of cores and the effect of services provided by cores on
investigators' productivity must be described.
 
3.  Research Components
 
For each proposed research component, a clear description of the major
goals, objectives, and its integration with the other components, as
well as its relationship to the overall Center, must be provided to
include:
 
o The question(s) to be addressed and the hypotheses to be tested by the
proposed research must be highly focused and fully explained.
 
o A discussion of the design and procedures must describe the strategies
proposed to accomplish the specific aims of the project and innovative
aspects of the approach.
 
o A description of the resources and working arrangements required to
implement and conduct the proposed research must be fully elaborated.
Particular attention should be devoted to a description of necessary
resources, subjects, clinical populations, tissue resources, and others,
that will be involved in proposed studies.
 
All proposed research components need not be ongoing at any one time,
but may be phased in at different time points during the life of the
proposed Center grant.  This aspect should receive careful attention in
the application and individual component preparation.
 
4.  Pilot Project Component
 
Pilot projects must be adequately, though concisely, described.
Although the specific number of pilot projects to be proposed is at the
discretion of the applicant, requested funding for pilot studies may not
exceed $200,000 or 20 percent (whichever is larger) of the direct cost
budget proposed for any one year.  All proposed pilot projects need not
be ongoing at any one time but may be phased in at different points
during the life of the proposed Center grant.  It is also recognized
that the relative priority or need for specific pilot projects may
change over time.
 
Although the Center's framework for management of pilot funds and the
mechanism for operating the program are left to the discretion of the
Center, the application must provide specific information to enable
adequate scientific review.  The application must include:
 
o A description of each proposed pilot study including its rationale,
objectives, approach, investigators, and significance for the Center.
The research description of any individual pilot project may not exceed
eight pages; the entire narrative for this Pilot Project Component may
not exceed 50 pages regardless of the number of pilot projects proposed.
 
o A full description of the management of the pilot project component,
including a description of the process to be followed by the Center
Director in selecting new pilot projects, should a need arise to replace
any of the pilots contained in the application.
 
o For competing renewal applications, describe the past experience of
the Center in utilizing pilot funds to further the goals.  The narrative
must include an assessment of the overall benefits derived from the
availability of pilot resources.
 
See "Special Instructions" for information on pilot project description
requirements.
 
C. Renewal Applications
 
A comprehensive progress report is required for competing continuation
(renewal) applications.  A statement must be included in the application
regarding the progress made by the Center as a whole in its development
as a national or regional research resource.  In addition, for each
research component of the existing Center grant, a succinct account of
its published and unpublished results must be provided, indicating
progress toward achieving aims regardless of whether the component has
been submitted for renewal.  More specific details are provided in the
"Special Instructions" listed below.
 
D. Facilities and Environment
 
Applicants must demonstrate the availability of adequate laboratory,
clinical, and office facilities needed to carry out the objectives of
the proposed Center program.  Although not required, it is desirable for
all Centers to have a commitment for sufficient contiguous space so that
the Center has a high degree of cohesion and visibility.  Reference
facilities affording access to the relevant literature must be readily
available.  It is expected that such reference facilities will be the
primary repository of additional reference materials that may be
obtained through Center funding.  Relevant support services, including
adequate data processing facilities, must also be readily accessible
within or through the institution.  Assurances of such support must be
included with the application.
 
E. Organization and Administration
 
A Center must be an identifiable organizational unit with an
administrative structure and clear lines of authority that will
facilitate coordination among Center personnel to assure maximum
accountability and efficiency in Center operations.  An applicant must
designate an institutional official to serve as Principal Investigator
for the Center grant and as director of the Center.  The institutional
appointment of this person must provide sufficient authority to allocate
space, personnel, and other resources essential to the Center.  This
individual must demonstrate ability to organize, administer, and direct
the Center.  The director of the Center will have responsibility for
planning and coordination of the Center program, preparation of the
budget and oversight of expenditures, staff appointments, space
allocation, and other aspects of management and operation of the Center.
 
Overall program management, coordination, communication, progress
assessment, and quality control are typically responsibilities of the
director and are facilitated through the administrative core.  The
administrative core must be described in sufficient detail to assure
that all proposed components and related activities will function
optimally.  In addition, day-to-day operations involving procurement,
finances, personnel, planning, and budgeting must be detailed in the
description of this core.
 
The applicant may also designate a Scientific Director who will be
responsible to the Center Director and provide direct supervision of the
scientific and operational aspects of the research program.  Such a
person must be an individual who has established scientific credentials
and who is capable of providing the leadership essential to the success
of the research program.  The Scientific Director will be responsible
for assuring interaction and collaboration among scientists conducting
research within the Center to facilitate a concerted approach to the
research goals of the Center.  The Scientific Director also will be
responsible for the direct monitoring of ongoing research and for
identifying (with the assistance of colleagues) research activities to
be expanded or decreased and needs for additional resources or
reallocation of resources.
 
Key professional staff, such as directors of individual research
components and core components of the Center, must have the necessary
training/experience to assure that the objectives and goals of the
proposed studies will be achieved.  Such persons must be established
investigators with proven track records.
 
A Program Advisory Committee shall be established and chaired by the
Center Director.  Its membership, selected by the Center Director from
individuals outside the Center, must be composed of at least five
members.  Members should be persons of recognized scientific standing
who are generally familiar with the Center's activities and represent a
cross-section of disciplines that are relevant to the work of the
proposed Center.  It shall be the responsibility of this Committee to
review and make recommendations to the Center Director on the conduct of
all activities of the Center.
 
F. Training
 
While the primary function of each Center is the conduct of high-quality
interdisciplinary research, an important component related to the Center
and its research efforts is the training of research and clinical
personnel.  The applicant institution must therefore demonstrate or give
reasonable assurances that it has:
 
(a) the capacity to train predoctoral and/or postdoctoral students for
careers in alcohol research;
 
(b) the capacity to conduct programs of continuing education in the
Center's designated research theme in the medical and health service
fields.
 
While the Center need not necessarily have formal training programs of
its own, there must be specific provision for coordination between the
Center and the training programs of the applicant institution and/or
affiliated institutions.  Center grant funds may not be used to pay
stipends or other trainee costs; however, Center staff may participate
in the development of training programs, and Center resources may be
made available for use of trainees.
 
V. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF ADAMHA
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
Applications for ADAMHA grants and cooperative agreements are required
to include both women and minorities in study populations for clinical
research, unless compelling scientific or other justification for not
including either women or minorities is provided.  This requirement is
intended to ensure that research findings will be of benefit to all
persons at risk of the disease, disorder, or condition under study.  For
the purpose of these policies, clinical research involves human studies
of etiology, treatment, diagnosis, prevention, or epidemiology of
diseases, disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical
trials; and minorities include U.S. racial/ethnic minority populations
(specifically, American Indians or Alaskan Natives, Asian/Pacific
Islanders, Blacks, and Hispanics).
 
ADAMHA recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in all
clinical research projects to include representation of the full array
of U.S. racial/ethnic minority populations.  However, applicants are
urged to assess carefully the feasibility of including the broadest
possible representation of minority groups.
 
Applications should include a description of the composition of the
proposed study population by gender and racial/ethnic group, and the
rationale for the numbers and kinds of subjects selected to participate.
This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2,
A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects,
for each clinical research component.
 
Applications should incorporate in the study design of each clinical
research component the gender and/or minority representation appropriate
to the scientific objectives of the work proposed.  If representation of
women or minorities in sufficient numbers to permit assessment of
differential effects is not feasible or is not appropriate, the reasons
for this must be explained and justified.  The rationale may relate to
the purpose of the research, the health of the subjects, or other
compelling circumstances (e.g., if in the only study population
available there is a disproportionate representation in terms of age
distribution, risk factors, incidence/prevalence, etc., of one gender or
minority/majority group).
 
If the required information is not contained within the application, the
application will be returned.  Peer reviewers will address specifically
whether the research plan in the application conforms to these policies.
If gender and/or minority representation/justification are judged to be
inadequate, reviewers will consider this as a deficiency in assigning
the priority score to the application.
 
All applications/proposals for clinical research submitted to ADAMHA are
required to address these policies.  ADAMHA funding components will not
award grants that do not comply with these policies.
 
VI.  TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SUPPORT
 
Center grant funds may be requested for support of core components and
individual research components associated with the Center program.  Core
resources may include, for example, salaries of personnel responsible
for management of the Center, services and facilities to be shared by
Center personnel, program enrichment activities such as special
lectures, visiting scientists, symposia, seminars, and workshops, and
costs related to dissemination of research information to the scientific
community and lay public.  Funds may be requested for costs associated
with individual research components that are part of the Center program.
Examples of such costs include:  research staff salaries, supplies,
travel, special consultation, research patient costs, publication costs,
and the like.  Funds also may be requested for the allowable indirect
costs of the applicant organization.  In addition, costs of advisory
committees, steering committees, and consultants may be included in the
administrative core.  Consultants for specific research components must
be included in the budgets for those components.  If committees are
included, specific plans as to how the committees will be selected and
how they will function must be presented in the application.
 
Alcohol Research Center grant funds may be used only for costs that are
necessary to carry out the research and research support activities of
the Center program, and must be in conformance with HHS cost principles
(encompassed in 45 CFR Part 74), and the Public Health Service Grants
Policy Statement, (Revised 10/1/90).  This publication may be available
from the institutional office of sponsored research.
 
Funds provided under this program may not be used for the purchase of
land; nor for the purchase, construction, preservation, or repair of any
building.  However, costs of alteration and renovation of existing
facilities necessary to accomplish the objectives of the grant may be
allowed subject to PHS grants policy limitations.  Funds provided
through Center grants may not be used for support of trainee stipends,
fees, or other expenses directly relating to training activities.
Support will be provided for a period of up to five years (renewable for
subsequent periods) subject to continued availability of funds and
scientific progress.  Applicants may request up to $1.7 million total
cost (including direct and indirect costs combined) per year.  The
actual amount of support awarded will depend upon consideration of
factors listed in Section XI, AWARD OF GRANTS.
 
The Center grant is neither expected nor intended to cover all costs of
running a successful Alcohol Research Center program.  Research and
training activities associated with the Center may receive additional
funding from Federal sources as well as from State and local sources.
NIAAA expects and encourages the institution and scientists attracted to
such Centers to seek and compete actively for such funding.  Research
staff in funded Centers may submit applications for independent research
project grants for support of research projects that do not overlap with
their Center project.  Requests for funds to expand the scope or number
of research components within the Center grant must be discussed with
NIAAA staff before an application is prepared.
 
Applicants from institutions that have a General Clinical Research
Center (GCRC) funded by the NIH National Center for Research Resources
may wish to identify the GCRC as a resource for conducting the proposed
research.  In such a case, a letter of agreement from either the GCRC
program director or Principal Investigator must be included with the
application.
 
Centers will be required to submit detailed annual progress reports
including substantive information about research results to date, status
of ongoing research, research plans for the next year, and any
modifications in long-term research plans.  Also required are reporting
of inventions, reports of expenditures, final reports, and other reports
in accordance with PHS policy.
 
VII.  LETTER OF INTENT
 
Applicants are requested to submit a brief letter of intent to NIAAA
(address shown below).  The letter of intent is to be submitted by
October 1, 1991.
 
The letter of intent should include a descriptive title, the name and
address of the Principal Investigator, the names and addresses or any
other key investigators, and any other participating institutions.
 
VIII.  APPLICATION PROCESS AND RECEIPT DATE
 
Applicants must use the grant application form PHS 398 (rev. 10/88).
The title and number of this RFA, Alcohol Research Center Grants,
AA-91-02, must be typed in item number 2 on the face page of the PHS 398
application form.
 
When using the PHS 398 application form to respond to an RFA, applicants
must affix the RFA label available in the PHS 398 kit to the bottom of
the face page.  Failure to use this label could result in delayed
processing of the application, such that it may not reach the review
committee in time for review.
 
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may be
obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major research
facilities.  If such a source is not available, the following office may
be contacted for the necessary application material:
 
Centers Program
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Division of Basic Research
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 16C-06
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4703
 
The receipt date for applications is December 16, 1991.  The signed
original and four permanent legible copies of the application must be
sent to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
In addition, two copies must be sent to:
 
NIAAA
Office of Scientific Affairs
Parklawn Building, Room 16C-20
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
 
Applications received after the December 16, 1991, receipt date will be
returned to the applicant without review.
 
IX.  REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
 
Each Center application will be reviewed by a group of experts to
evaluate the scientific and technical merit.  Recommendations from this
review will be presented to the National Advisory Council on Alcohol
Abuse and Alcoholism that will make a final recommendation to the
Director, NIAAA.  Grant awards will be made with a start date of
December 1, 1992, or later.
 
X. REVIEW CRITERIA
 
The initial review for scientific and technical merit of applications
will emphasize two major aspects:  (1) review of the Center as an
integrated research effort focused on a central theme, including the
administrative core; and (2) the review of each research component and
all other core components.  The review will also include an assessment
of the academic and physical environment and special considerations,
e.g., compliance with human subject and animal welfare requirements, and
compliance with policies concerning inclusion of women and minorities in
clinical research study populations.
 
1.  The Center as an Integrated Effort
 
  o  The significance of the overall research goals and development of a
     well-defined central research theme.
 
  o  Multidisciplinary scope of the Center; its cohesiveness,
     coordination, and interrelation; and the synergistic potential
     among the Center components and core units.
 
  o  The stature, experience, and administrative competence of the
     Center Director; and his or her commitment and ability to devote
     substantial time and effort to the Center.
 
  o  The scientific ability of the Scientific Director and his or her
     professional experience and leadership.
 
  o  The justification of the core components in terms of accomplishing
     the Center objectives, and their usefulness to the research
     components and/or independently supported investigators who utilize
     the core services or facilities.
 
  o  The scientific stature of the directors of the research project
     components and/or the core components, the extent to which each of
     the Directors will contribute to overall Center goals, and their
     commitment to the Center.
 
  o  Administrative arrangements and organizational structure of the
     administrative core to facilitate and monitor attainment of Center
     objectives and maintain quality control of ongoing projects.  These
     factors include:
 
  a. plans for communication and cooperation among investigators
     involved in the Center;
 
  b. mechanisms for allocation of funds and core resources and selecting
     meritorious pilot projects;
 
  c. quality control, oversight;
 
  d. day-to-day management, long-term planning and periodic evaluation;
 
  e. contractual and consortium arrangements;
 
  f. procedures for replacement of key persons, if necessary;
 
  g. Appropriateness of the overall budget for the work proposed in the
     Center; and
 
  h. Potential of the Center to become or maintain itself as a regional
     and national resource, including capacity to provide quality
     research training, opportunities for independent research career
     development, and plans for research information dissemination and
     education activities.
 
  o  In addition, applications for renewal support will be evaluated in
     terms of the degree to which the Center has achieved stated goals
     with special attention to:
 
  a. the scientific merit of completed research;
 
  b. recruitment of new scientists into alcohol research;
 
  c. development of a multidisciplinary research team; and
 
  d. coalescence of the Center staff into an effective team.
 
2.  Individual Research Components and Core Components
 
  o  The scientific and technical merit of each research component and
     each core component.
 
  o  The significance of each research and core component and its
     relation to the central theme of the Center.
 
  o  Evidence of quality control of proposed core component's services,
     resources, and facilities.
 
  o  The qualifications, experience, and commitment of the component
     director responsible for the research component and/or core
     component, including his or her ability to devote adequate time and
     effort to the Center.
 
  o  The appropriateness of the budget request for each of the proposed
     research project components and/or core components, administrative
     core, and any pilot project core component.
 
3.  Resources and Environment
 
In addition to the scientific components, e.g., research project and
core components, the initial review group will also evaluate:
 
  o  The academic and physical environment in which the research will be
     conducted, including availability of space, equipment, research
     subjects and materials, and the potential for interaction with
     scientists from other departments and other institutions.
 
  o  The institutional strength, stability, commitment to research and
     support for the Center, including fiscal responsibility and
     management capability to assist the Center Director and staff in
     complying with HHS, PHS, and ADAMHA policies.
 
  o  Opportunities for research training and education for persons from
     various disciplines and professions.
 
4.   Other Considerations
 
  o  When an application proposes research or research-related activity
     that involves potential risks to human subjects, animals, and/or
     the environment, the adequacy of the proposed means for protecting
     against such risks must be demonstrated for each component.
 
  o  Specific statements addressing compliance with ADAMHA policies on
     inclusion of women and minorities in clinical research studies.
 
XI.    AWARD OF GRANTS
 
Applications recommended for approval by the NIAAA National Advisory
Council will be considered for funding on the basis of the overall merit
of the application, as well as such considerations as program balance,
relevance to the mission and goals of NIAAA, research program
priorities, equitable geographic distribution, continuity of support,
and availability of funds.  Awards will be made for up to five year
project periods with separate fiscal awards made annually.
 
XII.  RELATIONSHIP TO NIAAA
 
In view of the special significance of this program, close coordination
and communication between the NIAAA staff and staff of the Alcohol
Research Centers is intended.  The NIAAA program official will have
responsibility for maintaining liaison with appropriate Center
leadership, serve as resource consultant to the Center program, and keep
NIAAA staff informed on progress and accomplishments of the Center.  In
addition, the program official with other NIAAA staff and consultants
will, from time to time, make on-site visits for purposes of program
coordination and exchange of information.
 
XIII.  INQUIRIES
 
Before preparing an application, potential applicants are strongly
encouraged to seek more specific information by telephoning Dr.
Ernestine Vanderveen, Associate Director, Division of Basic Research, at
301-443-1273, or by writing to:
 
Centers Program
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Division of Basic Research
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 16C-06
Rockville, MD  20857
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Ed Ellis
Grants Management Specialist
Management Review and Assistance Section
Grants Management Branch
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Parklawn Building, Room 16-86
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4703
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.891.  The statutory authorities for awards under this RFA are
Sections 301 and 511 of the Public Health Service Act (42 USC 241 and
290bb-1).  Federal Regulations at 42 CFR Part 54a, Subpart E "Grants for
National Alcohol Research Centers" apply to grants under this RFA.  This
program is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372, as implemented through HHS regulations at 45 CFR
Part 100.
 
               SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING AN
             ALCOHOL RESEARCH CENTER GRANT APPLICATION
                         (Revised June 1991)
 
Applicants for Alcohol Research Center grants are to make application on
form PHS 398 (revised 10/88).  The following are instructions to be used
in addition to the instructions that accompany the application form.
Send the signed original with the RFA label contained in the kit,
affixed to the bottom of the face page, and four copies of the completed
application to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Failure to use the RFA label and to follow instructions could result in
delayed processing of the application, such that it may not reach the
review committee in time for review.
 
In addition, it is requested that two copies of the completed
application be sent to:
 
NIAAA - Office of Scientific Affairs
Parklawn Building, Room 16C-20
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
 
IMPORTANT:  PAGE LIMITATIONS MUST BE STRICTLY OBSERVED.
 
SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS:  SECTION 1
 
(FACE PAGE)
 
ITEM 1.  Title of Project:  The title should identify the central theme
of alcohol research around which the Center program will be organized.
 
ITEM 2.  Response to Specific Program Announcement:  Check the box
marked "yes" and indicate that the application is being submitted in
response to the Request for Applications, "AA-91-02, Alcohol Research
Center Grants."
 
ITEM 3a.  Name of Principal Investigator:  Designate an institutional
official who will serve as Center Director (Principal Investigator) and
will be responsible for planning and coordination of the Center program.
 
ITEM 6.  Dates of Entire Proposed Project Period:  The total project
period proposed must not exceed five years, starting no earlier than
December 1, 1992.
 
ITEM 7a.  Direct Cost Requested for First 12-month Period.  In
determining direct costs, the applicant must keep in mind that the total
request for each year, including direct and indirect costs, must not
exceed $1.7 million per annum.
 
ITEM 7b.  Total Costs Requested for First 12-month Budget Period:  This
amount must not exceed $1.7 million.
 
(FORM PAGE 2)
 
Description:  Give an overall description of the proposed Center's
research program and the central theme around which its research is
organized.  (Do not exceed the space provided.)
 
Key Personnel Engaged on Project:  Provide information as described in
the general instructions contained in the application kit in the
following order:
 
(a)  Principal Investigator (Center Director),
 
(b)  Scientific Director (if different from Center
     Director),
 
(c)  Directors of core and/or research components, and
 
(d)  All other key professionals.
 
(FORM PAGE 3)
 
Number pages consecutively at the bottom right throughout the
application, and type the name of the Principal Investigator (Center
Director) at the top right of each printed page and each continuation
page.
 
TABLE OF CONTENTS
 
SECTION 1
                                                    Page
Numbers
Face Page, Description, Key Personnel,               1-3
 Table of Contents
Detailed Budgets for Year 01-Direct Costs Only       4-__
      Center as a Whole              (number consecutively)
      Administrative Core
      Each Core Component
          Include Budgets for Contractual/Consortium
          Arrangements behind the relevant Core or
          Research Component Budget
Each Research Component
Detailed Budgets for Entire Project Period-Direct Costs Only
    Center as a Whole                               __
 Administrative Core                                __
    Core Components                                 __
    Research Components
Chart Showing Percent Effort for all Key Personnel
by Project and Year                                 __
Biographical Sketches                               __
Center Director                                     __
Scientific Director                                 __
All other Key Personnel in Alphabetical Order       __
Other Support                                       __
Resources and Environment                           __
 
SECTION 2 - Research Plans
 
I. Introductory Overview: (Not to exceed 10 pages)
   The Center as an Integrated Whole:
A.   Specific Aims                                  __
B.   Background and Significance                    __
C.   Progress Report/Preliminary Studies            __
D.   Training Opportunities                         __
 
II.  Administrative Core (Not to exceed 20 pages)
A.   Abstract and Key Personnel                     __
B.   Center Organization and Operation              __
C.   Center Publications
D.   Education, Enrichment, and
     Dissemination Activities                       __
 
III. Each Additional Core and Research Component in Turn
     (Not to exceed 20 pages for sections A-D)
A.   Specific Aims                                  __
B.   Background and Significance                    __
C.   Progress Report/Preliminary Studies            __
D.   Experimental Design and Methods                __
E.   Human Subjects                                 __
F.   Vertebrate Animals                             __
G.   Consultants/Collaborators                      __
H.   Consortium/Contractual Arrangements            __
I.   Literature Cited (do not exceed 4 pages)
J.   If relevant, 2-page description of
     independently funded projects using core
     component                                      __
 
IV. Pilot Project Component
    (Not to exceed 50 pages)
A.   Management of pilot program
B.   Individual Pilot Project Research
     Descriptions (Not to exceed 8 pages per project)
C.   Progress Report, if applicable, for renewal
     applications
 
SECTION 3.  Appendices (Six collated sets)
            Clearly identify the component to which the
            various appendices relate.
 
(FORM PAGE 4)
 
Detailed Budget for First 12-month Budget Period - Direct Costs Only
 
Individual budget pages must be submitted for (a) the overall Center
budget, (b) each core component, and (c) each research component.  The
budget for the entire Center for the first project year will retain the
imprinted number 4.  All subsequent pages will be renumbered
consecutively at the bottom right.  At the top left of each budget page,
indicate the nature of the content (e.g., Administrative Core, Research
Component 1).
 
Overall Summary of Center Budget:  This is a budget summary total for
the Center.  For each budget category (e.g., Personnel, Consultant
Costs, and Equipment), enter a single amount that is the total for that
category of all core components and all research components for year 01.
Specific budget details should not be itemized here but should be shown
in the separate budget pages for each core and each research component.
 
Administrative Core Activities:  Funds may be requested for personnel
responsible for overall direction and support for the Center (such as
the Scientific Director and any administrative staff); and for
equipment, supplies, and other items to be used by several investigators
or available to all Center personnel.  Support also may be requested for
program enrichment activities (such as colloquia or visiting scientists)
and for consultant costs relating to planning and evaluation of the
Center program.  Administrative support requirements vary widely and
will depend upon the nature of the Center's research and the collective
needs of the investigators for resources.
 
Research and/or Core Components:  Each individual research component and
each core component, including pilot projects if any, must have its own
separate budget request.  The individual component director and staff
must be identified under "Personnel," and all costs related to the
activity to be conducted within the component must be included.
Sufficient detail and justification must be given to allow an assessment
of the budget request in light of the research or service/support being
proposed within the component.
 
(FORM PAGE 5)
 
Budget for Entire Proposed Project Period - Direct Costs Only
 
Form Page 5 (renumbered with the appropriate consecutive number), is to
be used for presentations of budgets for the entire project period and
for detailed budget justifications, beginning with a summary of the
request for the Center as a whole, then separately for each Center
component.  At the top left of each budget page, indicate the nature of
the content (e.g., administrative core, research component 1).
 
Overall Summary of the Center Budget
 
Administrative Core Activities
 
Core Components and/or Research Components:
 
Identify and arrange in same order as previous budget section.  Some
components may not require the full five-year period of support;
therefore, funds should be requested only for the period of time
necessary to complete the proposed research.  In addition, if, for
example, a component is to start in the second year of the project
period and funds are requested for a three-year period, the columns for
the "1st Budget Period" and the 5th additional year must be left blank.
Be sure that the year 01 budget for that component is clearly labelled
to indicate the start year.  Budget increases in excess of inflationary
or cost-of-living increases must be clearly identified and justified.
 
Chart Showing Percent of Effort for all Key Personnel by Project and
Year
 
Follow the budget presentations with a chart that summarizes for each
component the percent of effort to be devoted by each individual listed
as key personnel.  Present one such chart for each project year, and
include a total effort column on each chart.  Use continuation pages.
 
(BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES)
 
Self-explanatory
 
(OTHER SUPPORT)
 
Self-explanatory
 
(RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENT)
 
Resources and environment pages may be included for each component if
such a presentation will facilitate understanding of the availability of
needed resources.
 
SECTION 2 - RESEARCH PLANS
 
I.  INTRODUCTORY OVERVIEW - The Center as an Integrated
                            Whole (Must not exceed 10 pages)
 
A.  Specific Aims:
 
Provide an overview of the entire proposed Center describing the central
theme, purpose, and objectives.  Discuss the philosophy and general
plans for the proposed grant period and how the Center will achieve its
major objectives.  The narrative must clearly articulate the reasons a
Center approach is needed for this work.
 
B. Background and Significance:
 
Describe the history of the proposed Center, the unique contributions
that will accrue, the potential contribution of each component and pilot
project (if applicable), the significance of the overall research goals
and research theme, and the importance and relevance of these to the
goals and mission of the Centers Program.
 
C. Progress Report/Preliminary Studies:
 
Renewal applications must provide a summary overview of major research
accomplishments and progress toward achievement of goals since the last
competitive review.  Detailed information must be included in relevant
components.  Preliminary findings to be utilized in proposing new
studies may be highlighted but discussed in detail in relevant
components.  Applicants may include reprints of the most significant
research representing proposed or ongoing studies as an appendix to
augment or support this section.  The maximum number of reprints that
will be accepted for each research component is five.
 
D. Training Opportunities:
 
Provide a brief description of opportunities for research training for
persons from various disciplines and professions.
 
Each core component and research component must begin with a Form Page 2
that includes an abstract (including the years the component will
function), and a listing of key personnel for that component.  Each core
component and research component must be presented individually.
 
II.  Administrative Core
 
A. Abstract and Key Personnel (Form Page 2 renumbered consecutively)
B.   Center Organization and Operation
 
The administrative core component must include discussion of such issues
as the framework and organization (including an organizational chart);
authority and role of Center Director; authority and role of Scientific
Director; committee structure and function; quality control mechanisms;
institutional support; decision-making processes and day-to-day
management; services provided by the core and how they are administered.
 
C. Center Publications
 
Center publications may be listed in the administrative core.  It would
be preferable that Center publications relevant to a particular
component be listed in the research plan of that component and that
especially relevant papers be appendices of a particular component.
 
D. Educational Enrichment and Dissemination Activities
 
Describe any scientific enrichment activities, such as special lectures,
visiting scientist symposia, seminars, and workshops, and any scientific
education and research dissemination activities for the public.
 
III.  Core and Research Components
 
Core Component Narratives:  The narrative for each must include a
discussion of contributions that would be made to the Center as a whole.
For core components, the research components and other research to be
served should be made clear.  The narrative must include how the core
will contribute to the overall goals of the Center and how existing
research projects or proposed research components will benefit from
utilizing the core.  The description must clearly indicate the
facilities, resources, services, and professional skills that the core
will provide.  Include information on:
 
A. Specific aims and objectives
 
B. Background and significance
 
Administration and overall management of the core including:
 
  1) The decision-making process for use of services by investigators
     supported by the Center and/or by independent investigators
     supported by NIAAA.
 
  2) Plans for use of core by investigators who are not part of the
     Center and not supported by NIAAA.
 
  3) Resources and environment.
 
C.  Progress report/preliminary studies
 
1) Provide information on past and/or current utilization for renewal
applications including benefits accrued in terms of research
productivity of core users, cost savings to the Center and/or individual
investigators.
 
2) Justify the need for continuing core or expanding current capacity,
if applicable.
 
D. Experimental Design and Methods
 
1) Outline design and procedures of service, techniques, training, and
others, to be provided.
 
2) Identify professional staff and support staff, qualifications, role.
 
3) Describe services/support to be provided and their bearing on
research productivity and quality.
 
4) Identify independent research projects and/or Center-supported
research components proposed for core usage.
 
5) Describe plans for quality control.
 
E-I See PHS 398 for instructions
 
J. If relevant, two-page description of independently funded research
projects using the core component.
 
Research Component Narratives:  The narrative for each proposed research
component must have a clear description of major objectives and goals,
its integration with the other components, and its relationship to the
overall Center.  In addition, detailed information must be provided in
the following areas.
 
A.   Specific aims and objectives
 
B.   Background and Significance
 
C.   Progress Report/Preliminary Studies
 
1)   Preliminary studies and findings
2) Progress report if component is proposed in renewal or supplemental
application.  Report must cover current and past grant period.
 
D.   Experimental Design and Methods
 
1.   Outline experimental design and procedures.
 
2.  Provide timetable or sequence for proposed studies.
 
3.  Identify hazardous procedures, situations, and materials; and
describe precautions to be exercised.
 
Additional information is also required for the following areas for both
core and research components.
 
E. Human Subjects
 
F. Vertebrate animals
 
G. Consultants/Collaborators
 
H. Consortium/Contractual Arrangements
 
I. Literature cited (do not exceed four pages)
 
Continue with as many research components as are proposed in the Center
application, not to exceed a total of ten core and research components
combined.
 
IV.  Pilot Project Component (optional) (Not to exceed 50 pages)
 
Plans for support and management of pilot projects must be described in
sufficient detail to permit scientific and technical merit review.  The
description must include the objectives, a brief description of planned
pilot studies, and plans for administration of pilot project funds.  The
mechanism to oversee use of funds for proposed pilot studies must be
described in sufficient detail to assure systematic and objective
scientific review of pilot fund requests.  In addition to information on
evaluation and selection of new pilot projects, the narrative must state
how progress of funded pilot studies will be evaluated.
 
A. Management of pilot program (see "Pilot Project Component" of RFA)
 
B. Individual pilot project research descriptions must be concise and
may not exceed eight pages.  Information must include:
 
1.  Proposed investigator(s)
2.  Specific aims
3.  Background and significance
4.  Preliminary data or findings
5.  Methods and procedures
6.  Innovative approaches
7.  Human and animal subject issues
8.  Consortium/collaborative arrangements if applicable
9.  Literature cited
10.  Budget estimate
 
C. Renewal applications requesting continuation of pilot project support
must provide a progress report on how the pilot program has contributed
to the Center's overall accomplishments and provide an assessment of the
benefits derived from availability of pilot project resources.
 
SECTION 3.  Appendix (Six collated sets.  No page numbering necessary
for Appendix)
 
Number of publications and manuscripts accepted for publication (not to
exceed five per major research component and/or core component).
Appendix materials must be clearly labeled in terms of the component(s)
to which they relate.