Subject: RFA CA-90-21 from 9/21/90 NIH Guide
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 16:24 EST

Good Afternoon Paul,
   Please post this to the NIH Listserver as:
     RFACA-90-21.092190
Thanks.
       PS  This is one of three articles coming down this afternoon.
            Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS
 
RFA NUMBER:  CA-90-21
 
RFA TITLE:  DIGITAL IMAGING OF CHEST X-RAY
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0715165, 0706030
 
NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  November 11, 1990
 
I.  INTRODUCTION
 
The Radiation Research Program (RRP), Division of Cancer
Treatment (DCT), of the National Cancer Institute (NCI)
announces the availability of a Request For Applications
(RFA) on  the above program.  The objective of this RFA is to
support   meritorious research in the application of digital
chest     radiography in the detection and characterization
of the solitary lesions often associated with lung cancer.
 
II.  BACKGROUND INFORMATION
 
Since its inception, the discipline of radiology has depended
on photographic film as the primary vehicle for recording,
interpreting, transmitting, and storing of the radiologic
images.  A change in this traditional approach to image
recording is occurring as digital techniques become
established in departments of radiology across the country.
Digitization of the radiologic images allows for more
efficient storage/retrieval, image management, and
decision-making support.
 
Digitization is, in fact, an integral part of the imaging
process in diagnostic ultrasound, nuclear medicine, computed
tomography, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, and
angiography.  However, conventional roentgenology appears to
be affected by digitization to a considerably lesser degree.
Before digitization can be implemented in the clinical
setting, a number of problems associated with transmission,
storage, and retrieval of radiologic data must be resolved.
 
Radiographic examination of the chest is the most commonly
performed study in diagnostic radiology.  Despite the advent
of new imaging techniques and the highly sophisticated
technology, such as computed tomography (CT), ultrasonography
(US), and magnetic resonance (MRI/MRS), chest x-ray remains
the mainstay of thoracic imaging.  Chest radiography has not
appreciably benefited from the diagnostic imaging evolution
of the last decade.  Digitization of the chest radiograph is
technically difficult.  It requires high spatial resolution
to capture the fine details of the vessels, bronchi, and to
detect small lesions.  No universally acceptable digital
chest system has been developed, but as systems improve, more
sophisticated processing options will arise.  More advanced
algorithms will open digital chest radiography to
quantitative analysis, particularly concerning application of
dual energy techniques.
 
The complexity of chest radiography and lack of standardized
chest technique make the digitization of chest x-ray a
formidable task.  This RFA is designed to advance all aspects
of x-ray digitization and to stimulate research leading to
the improvement of chest radiography that may potentially
result in earlier cancer diagnosis and treatment.
 
III.  RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
The objective of this RFA is to support meritorious research
in the application of digital chest radiography in the
detection and characterization of the solitary lesions often
associated with lung cancer.  The ultimate goal of digital
radiography is to enhance diagnostic imaging, improve image
communication, archiving, reduce cost of patient care, and
improve cancer detection.  Suggested areas of investigation
include, but are not limited to, research leading towards:
 
A.  Improvements in digital image acquisition.
 
B.  Development and optimization of digital radiography
system and techniques, including dual-energy systems.
 
C.  Development or improvement of the existing hardware and
software for digital radiography and image processing.
 
D.  Development of high resolution CRT monitors able to
display brighter and higher contrast images.
 
E.  Development of new approaches to improve signal-to-noise
ratio, increase scanning speed, and ultimately reduce motion
artifacts.
 
F.  Clinical evaluation of digital radiography.
 
IV.  MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support of this program will be through the National
Institutes of Health (NIH) grant-in-aid.  Applicants will be
responsible for the planning, direction, and execution of the
proposed project.  Except as otherwise stated in this RFA,
awards will be administered under PHS grants policy as stated
in the Public Health Service Grants Policy Statement, DHHS
Publication No. (OASH) 82-50,000, revised January 1, 1987.
 
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Generally, future
unsolicited competitive continuation applications will
compete as research project applications with all other
investigator-initiated applications and be reviewed by the
Division of Research Grants (DRG).  However, should the NCI
determine that there is sufficient programmatic need, a
request for renewal applications will be announced.  In that
event, only the recipients of awards under the RFA will be
eligible to apply.
 
Approximately $600,000 in total costs per year for three
years will be committed specifically to fund applications
which are submitted in response to this RFA.  It is
anticipated that three to four awards will be made.  The
funding level is dependent on the receipt of a sufficient
number of applications of high scientific merit.  The total
project period for applications submitted in response to the
present RFA should not exceed three years.  The earliest
feasible start date for the initial awards will be July 1,
1991. Although this program is provided for in the financial
plans of the NCI, the award of grants pursuant to this RFA is
also contingent upon the availability of funds for this
purpose.
 
V.  ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Non-profit and for-profit organizations and institutions,
governments and their agencies, and foreign institutions are
eligible to apply.
 
VI.  REVIEW PROCEDURES AND CRITERIA
 
A.  REVIEW PROCEDURE
 
Upon receipt, applications will be reviewed administratively
by applying the Division of Research Grants (DRG) referral
guidelines and will be evaluated
initially by DRG for
completeness.  Incomplete applications will be returned to
the applicant without further consideration.  Evaluation for
responsiveness to the program requirements and criteria
stated in the RFA is an NCI program staff function.
Applications judged non-responsive will be returned
by the NCI, but may, at the request of the principal
investigator, be submitted as investigator-initiated regular
research grants at the next receipt date.  Questions
concerning the responsiveness of the proposed research to the
RFA should be directed to program staff (see Section IX).
In cases where the number of applications is large compared
to the number of awards to be made, the NCI may conduct a
preliminary scientific peer review to eliminate those which
are clearly not competitive.  The NCI will remove from
competition those applications judged to be noncompetitive
for an award and notify the applicant and institutional
business official.
 
Those applications judged to be both competitive and
responsive will be further evaluated according to the review
criteria stated below for scientific and technical merit by
an appropriate peer review group convened by the Division of
Extramural Activities, NCI.  The second level of review by
the National Cancer Advisory Board considers the special
needs of the Institute and the priorities of the National
Cancer Program.
 
B.  REVIEW CRITERIA
 
The NCI peer review will consider the following criteria:
 
1.  Significance of the proposed research and extent to which
it addresses the overall goals of the RFA, namely, to develop
or improve digital imaging of chest x-ray.
 
2.  Originality, scientific and technical merit of the
proposed research.
 
3.  Competence, experience, and ability of the principal
investigator and the research team to accomplish the
objectives of the overall goals of the RFA.
 
4.  Accuracy and adequacy of the methods, procedures and
approaches for the proposed research.
 
5.  Appropriateness and adequacy of the facilities,
resources, instrumentation, and equipment available to the
principal investigator and supporting staff.
 
6.  Reasonableness of the time/effort devoted by the
applicant and his staff to the project.
 
Based on the actual budgetary needs for the conduct of the
approved research, the review group will recommend an
appropriate budget and period of support for each approved
application.
 
VII.  METHOD OF APPLICATION
 
The regular research grant application form PHS-398 (revised
10/88) must be used in applying for this RFA.  These forms
are available at most institutional business offices and from
the Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants,
National Institutes of Health, Room 449, Westwood Building,
5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland  20892, or from the
NCI program director named below.
 
The RFA label available in the 10/88 revision of application
Form 398 must be affixed to the bottom of the face page.
Failure to use this label could result in delayed processing
of your application such that it may not reach the review
committee in time for review.  In addition, the RFA number
and title should be typed on line 2 of the face page of the
application form.
 
Submit a signed, typewritten original of the application,
including the Checklist, and four (4) signed, exact
photocopies, in one package to DRG at the address
below.  The photocopies must be clear and single sided.
 
DIVISION OF RESEARCH GRANTS
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
At time of submission, send two (2) additional copies of the
application to:
 
REFERRAL OFFICER
Division of Extramural Activities
National Cancer Institute
Room 848, Westwood Building
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
Applications must be received by 12-11-90.  If an application
is received after that date, it will be returned.  If the
application submitted in response to this RFA is
substantially similar to a research grant application already
submitted to the NIH for review, but has not yet been
reviewed, the applicant will be asked to withdraw either the
pending application or the new one.  Simultaneous submission
of identical applications will not be allowed, nor will
essentially identical applications be reviewed by different
review committees.  Therefore, an application cannot be
submitted in response to this RFA which is essentially
identical to one that has already been reviewed.  This does
not preclude the submission of substantial revisions of
applications already reviewed, but such applications must
include an Introduction addressing the previous critique.
 
VIII.  LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit, by 11-1-90, a
letter of intent that includes a descriptive title of the
proposed research, the name and address of the principal
investigator, the names of other key personnel, the
participating institutions, and the number and title of the
RFA in response to which the application is being submitted.
The letter of intent is of great benefit to the NCI in
planning for and implementing the review process although it
is not required, is not binding, and does not enter into the
review of subsequent applications.
 
The letter of intent should be sent to the NCI program
director:
 
Dr. Matti Al-Aish, Program Director
Diagnostic Imaging Research Branch
Radiation Research Program
National Cancer Institute
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza North, Suite 800
Bethesda, MD  20892
(phone:  301-496-9531)
 
IX.  INQUIRIES
 
Written or telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and
scope of this RFA or inquiries about whether or not specific
proposed research would be responsive are encouraged and
should be directed to Dr. Matti Al-Aish at the above address.
The program director welcomes the opportunity to clarify any
issues or questions from potential applicants.
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 13.395, Cancer Treatment Research.  Awards are
under the authority of Public Health Service Act, Title IV,
Part A (Public Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158,
42 USC 241 and 285) and administered under PHS grant policies
and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review
requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems
Agency review.