Subject: NIH GUIDE - RFA DE-91-05 - V20(22) 06/07/91
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 91 09:43 EST

Hi Paul,
   # 2 of 4.  Please post this one to the listserver as:
     RFADE-91-05.910607
Thanks.
       Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID RFA DE9105 DE-91-05 P1O1 *****************************************
 
NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD - INSTITUTIONAL TRAINING APPLICATIONS
 
RFA:  DE-91-05
 
P.T. 44; K.W. 0715148, 0404000, 0785040, 0715008
 
National Institute of Dental Research
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  October 21, 1991
Application Receipt Date:  November 20, 1991
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Dental Research (NIDR) invites applications
from domestic, private or public, nonprofit institutions proposing
institutional training programs in basic and clinical sciences
pertaining to:  (1) oral soft tissue diseases including oral cancer,
oral manifestations of AIDS, and oral herpes simplex virus (HSV)
infection; and (2) behavioral science research in dentistry.
Applications pertaining to other areas of oral health research are also
acceptable.  Proposed training must be relevant to the goals of the
NIDR, as described in the NIDR Long-Range Research Plan for the
Nineties, "Broadening the Scope".
 
The primary objective of these training programs is to develop highly
qualified, clinical investigators by supporting postdoctoral training of
individuals with DDS, DMD, or equivalent clinical degrees, who are
committed to a career in oral health research.  Applications may include
pre- and postdoctoral training for basic scientists and/or short-term
training for dental students in the proposed programs.
 
The Public Health Service (PHS) is committed to achieving the health
promotion and disease prevention objectives of "Healthy People 2000," a
PHS-led national activity for setting priority areas.  This Request for
Applications (RFA) is related to the priority area of oral health.
Potential applicants may obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary
Report:  Stock No. 017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of
Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325
(telephone 202-783-3238).
 
The NIDR expects to make five new and/or renewal institutional training
awards in response to this RFA.
 
This RFA is for a single competition with a receipt date of November 20,
1991.
 
LEVELS OF TRAINING AND TRAINEE ELIGIBILITY
 
Several studies and advisory panels have emphasized the importance of
graduate-level training leading to the Ph.D. degree in order prepare
dentists for productive careers in oral health research.  However,
training in oral health research is also appropriate for pre- and
postdoctoral basic scientists and for dental students during their
professional education.
 
Applications will be accepted to provide training at one or more of the
following levels, given in priority order:  (1) dentists pursuing a
Ph.D. or equivalent degree in basic science; (2) dentists pursuing
postdoctoral research training; (3) baccalaureate degree holders
pursuing a Ph.D. or equivalent degree; (4) Ph.D. degree holders pursuing
postdoctoral research training; (5) pre-dental degree students pursuing
a short-term research experience, usually during, but not limited to,
the summer months.
 
Preference must be given to individuals who have received, as of the
beginning of an appointment, a D.D.S., D.M.D., or equivalent dental
degree from an accredited domestic or foreign institution.
Certification by an authorized official of the degree-granting
institution that all degree requirements have been met is acceptable.
 
Predoctoral trainees must have received a baccalaureate degree as of the
beginning date of their appointment and must be enrolled in a graduate
program leading to the award of a Ph.D. or an equivalent degree in
biomedical or behavioral oral health research.
 
Trainees for short-term research experiences must be enrolled in a
program leading to a D.D.S. or equivalent degree.
 
Individuals who wish to interrupt their dental school studies for one or
more years to engage in full-time research training before completing
their professional degrees are eligible; however, prior approval by the
NIDR is required before an appointment can be offered.
 
Individuals with a Ph.D. or equivalent degree may be appointed to the
training grant.  However, in general, they are expected to apply for a
National Research Service Award (NRSA), individual postdoctoral
fellowship award (F32).
 
Trainees must be citizens or non-citizen nationals of the United States
or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (i.e., in
possession of the Alien Registration Receipt Card I-551 or I-151) at the
time of appointment.  Individuals on temporary or student visas are not
eligible.
 
RECRUITMENT AND APPOINTMENT OF WOMEN AND MINORITY TRAINEES
 
Attention must be given to recruiting women and individuals from
minority groups that are underrepresented, nationally, in these
sciences.  A plan must be included for the recruitment of these
individuals.
 
PROGRAM CHARACTERISTICS
 
The training program must provide opportunities for individuals to carry
out supervised biomedical or behavioral oral health research and develop
research skills.  Clinical programs must have strong relationships with
basic scientists that will ensure that the dentists have the opportunity
to acquire the necessary foundation for future independent research.
 
The training program director will be responsible for the selection and
appointment of trainees and for the overall direction of the program.
 
Applicants may request as many postdoctoral, predoctoral, or short-term
trainee positions as can be justified.  However, five or more positions
for postdoctoral trainees over the five-year period must be proposed.
Acceptance of postdoctoral trainees must be limited to the first three
years of the five-year award, i.e., two trainees the first year, two the
second year, and one the third year.  A similar pattern is to be
proposed by applicants requesting more than five positions.  The number
and types of positions will be determined by peer review, program needs,
and the availability of funds.
 
Only one training award will be made to an institution unless the
training programs are in distinctly different areas of oral health
research.
 
PERIOD OF SUPPORT
 
Institutional training grant awards are made for five years and are
renewable.  Trainees may receive up to five years of support at the
predoctoral level and three years of support at the postdoctoral level,
including any combination of support from institutional training awards
and individual fellowship awards.  Extensions beyond these periods
require a waiver from the NIH.  Dentists requiring additional time to
complete training as a participant in a Ph.D. program may anticipate
favorable consideration of a waiver request, contingent upon
certification of the recipient's good academic standing.
 
STIPENDS AND OTHER TRAINING COSTS
 
For predoctoral and the short-term trainees, at all levels of
experience, the stipend is $8,800 per year ($734 per month).
 
For postdoctoral trainees, the stipend is determined by the number of
years of relevant postdoctoral experience at the time of appointment.
Relevant experience may include research (including industrial),
teaching, internship, residency, clinical practice, and other time spent
in a health-related field beyond that of the qualifying doctoral degree.
 
The postdoctoral stipends are as follows:
 
Years of Relevant Experience      Stipend
 
0                                 $18,600
1                                  19,700
2                                  25,600
3                                  26,900
4                                  28,200
5                                  29,500
6                                  30,800
7 or more                          32,300
 
Stipends may be supplemented by an institution from non-Federal funds.
Federal funds may be used for stipend supplementation only if
specifically authorized under the terms of the program from which the
supplemental funds are derived.  An individual may make use of Federal
educational loan funds or V.A. benefits if permitted by those programs.
Under no circumstance may the condition of stipend supplementation
detract from or prolong the training.
 
The Tax Reform Act of 1986, Public Law 99-514, impacts on the tax
liability of all individuals supported under the NRSA program.  Degree
trainees may exclude only required course tuition, fees, books,
supplies, and equipment.  Non-degree trainees will be required to report
stipends and all monies paid on their behalf for tuition and fees.
These statutory requirements went into force as of January 1, 1987.
 
NIH is not in a position to advise students or institutions about their
tax liability.  In any event, changes in the taxability of stipends in
no way alter the relationship between NRSA fellows, trainees, and
institutions.  NRSA stipends are not now, and never have been, salaries.
Trainees supported under the NRSA are not in any employer-employee
relationship with NIH or the institution at which they are pursuing
research training.
 
Tuition and fees, including medical insurance, are allowable trainee
costs if such charges are required of all persons in a similar training
status at the institution, without regard to their source of support.
Tuition at the postdoctoral level, if justifiable, is limited to that
required for specific courses in support of the approved training
program.  Annual increments in tuition costs beyond the first year of a
five-year award may not exceed six percent.
 
Trainee travel, including attendance at scientific meetings, that the
institution determines to be necessary to the individual's training, is
an allowable trainee cost.
 
Institutional costs of $1,500 per year per predoctoral trainee and
$2,500 per year per postdoctoral trainee and $125 per month per
short-term trainee may be requested to defray the cost of
training-related expenses, such as staff salaries, consultant costs,
equipment, research supplies, and staff travel.
 
Indirect costs based on 8 percent of total direct costs less tuition and
fees, or actual indirect costs, whichever is less, may be requested.
Applications from state and local government agencies may request full
indirect cost reimbursement.
 
PAYBACK PROVISIONS
 
Trainees, other than the short-term trainees, must sign an agreement
that they will fulfill the payback requirements.  Trainees agree to
engage in biomedical or health-related behavioral research and/or
teaching for a period equal to the period of support in excess of 12
months.
 
Trainees must undertake the obligated service on a continuous basis
within two years after termination of support.  Individuals who fail to
fulfill their obligation through service must pay back the total amount
of funds paid to the individual for the obligation period plus interest
at a rate determined by the Secretary of the Treasury.  Financial
payback must be completed within three years beginning on the date the
United States becomes entitled to recover such amount.
 
Under certain conditions, the Secretary of Health and Human Services may
extend the period for starting service or for repayment, permit breaks
in the period of service or repayment, or otherwise waive or suspend the
payback obligation of an individual.
 
Officials of the applicant organization responsible for recruitment of
trainees should familiarize themselves with the terms of the payback
service requirement and explain them carefully to prospective trainees
before an appointment to the training grant is offered.
 
REVIEW PROCESS AND CRITERIA
 
Applications will be evaluated for scientific and technical merit by the
NIDR Special Grants Review Committee (SGRC), a standing NIH initial
review group.  Site visits may be involved.
 
The following review criteria will be applied:
 
  o  The proposed research training and program design; core curriculum;
     prescribed set of courses or seminars; the manner in which
     individual guided research activities will be selected; procedures
     for monitoring trainee progress; the existence of a true training
     program, as contrasted with fellowship training for an individual
     trainee; the combination of different levels of training; the
     appropriateness of the proposed number of trainees; the unique
     and/or innovative nature of the training program; resources and
     facilities.
 
  o  The qualifications of the program director and participating
     faculty including the roles of specific preceptors; their time
     commitment; current research grant holdings, and pending research
     grant activities; specific experience in graduate research
     training.
 
  o  Training environment:  evidence of a high level of ongoing
     fundamental and clinical research activity; availability of
     equipment, facilities, and clinical resources.
 
  o  Selection of trainees:  plans for recruitment and criteria for the
     selection of trainees, including minorities and women; how trainees
     are assigned to preceptors.
 
  o  Provisions for protection of human subjects; efforts to include
     women and minorities in study populations (see below); and
     provisions for the ethical treatment of animals.
 
After review of the training grant application for scientific and
technical merit and assignment of a priority score, the SGRC will
comment on plans for attracting women and individuals from
underrepresented minority groups to the training program.  In the case
of renewal applications, this will cover accomplishments in recruiting
women and individuals from underrepresented minority groups and in
training them for research positions.
 
  o  Past training record:  for both new and renewal applications, the
     past performance of the program director and preceptors in training
     scientists; reviewers will look for accomplishments, or potential,
     of the faculty in the training of scientists who will make major
     contributions to dental research, as indicated by success in
     obtaining individual research grant support, recognition for
     outstanding scientific accomplishment, and involvement of former
     trainees in academic, clinically oriented, and laboratory research
     and their ongoing productivity.  For renewal applications, the
     record in filling trainee positions and the completion record of
     trainees will be considered.  Cumulative information on the career
     development of all former trainees, including information about
     their minority status, will be evaluated.
 
Secondary review will be by the National Advisory Dental Research
Council.  Among the information the Council considers will be the report
of the SGRC on the plans for, and success in, recruitment of women and
individuals from underrepresented minority groups.  The NIDR will notify
the applicant of the Council's action shortly after its meeting.
Funding decisions will be made based on the SGRC and Council
recommendation, the need for research personnel in specified program
areas, and the availability of funds.  The earliest award date will be
July 1, 1992.
 
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH policy is that applicants for NIH clinical research grants will be
required to include minorities and women in study populations so that
research findings can be of benefit to all persons at risk of the
disease, disorder or condition under study; special emphasis should be
placed on the need for inclusion of minorities and women in studies of
diseases, disorders and conditions which disproportionately affect them.
This policy is intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If
women or minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research design
and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.
This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2,
A-D of the Research Plan and summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects.
Applicants are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of including
the broadest possible representation of minority groups.  However, NIH
recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in all research
projects to include representation of the full array of United States
racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native Americans (including
American Indians or Alaskan Natives), Asian/Pacific Islanders, Blacks,
Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups must be
provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also apply.
Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues cannot be
identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However, every effort
must be made to include human tissues from women and racial/ethnic
minorities when it is important to apply the results of the study
broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application, the
application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed and the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants
that do not comply with these policies.
 
Copies of the NIDR Long-Range Research Plan for the Nineties,
"Broadening the Scope," are available by a written request to NIDR, P.O.
Box 54793, Washington, D.C. 20032
 
Training grants may not be used to support studies leading to a D.D.S.
or other similar professional degrees, or to support residencies, i.e.,
postgraduate training for dentists providing health care directly to
patients where the majority of their time is spent in non-research
clinical training.  However, if a specified period of full-time research
training is creditable toward specialty board certification, the
training grant may support such research training if the trainee has
shown a clear interest in a research career.  Since recently graduated
dentists usually have little or no prior research training, their
training must include a minimum of two years of basic research training.
 
All competing institutional training grant applications must include a
description of formal and informal activities related to instruction
about the responsible conduct of research to be incorporated into the
proposed research training program.  No awards will be made to
applications lacking this component.  This announcement was published in
the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 18, No. 45, December 22,
1989.
 
For additional information, including the grounds for approving
extensions of support and payback provisions, please refer to the
announcement in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts, entitled,
"National Research Service Awards - Guidelines for Individual Awards -
Institutional Grants," Special Edition, Volume 13 (1), dated January 6,
1984.  These are available in the business or grants office of most
academic institutions and from:
 
Office of Grants Inquiries
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 449
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7441
 
REVIEW SCHEDULE
 
Applications will be processed according to the following schedule:
 
Application        Initial Review      Council     Earliest
Receipt Date       Group Meeting       Meeting     Award Date
 
November 20         Feb/March          May/June      July
  1991                 1992              1992        1992
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
It is recommended that prospective applicants contact program staff
early in the planning phase of application preparation.  Such contact
may help ensure that applications are responsive to this RFA.  It is
suggested that prospective applicants submit a letter of intent no later
than October 21, 1991, giving a descriptive title of the proposed
training; the name, address and telephone number of the Program
Director; and the names of key personnel and collaborating institutions.
A letter of intent is not binding nor is it a prerequisite for
acceptance of an application but it will assist staff in planning for
timely review of applications.
 
Applications must be prepared on grant application form PHS 398 (rev.
10/88).  Application forms may be obtained from most institutional
business or grants office and from the Office of Grants Inquiries at the
above address.  Applications received after November 20, 1991, and those
deemed nonresponsive to the RFA will be returned to the applicant.  To
identify the application as a response to this RFA, check "yes" on item
2 of page 1 of the application and enter "RFA:  DE-91-05, NRSA -
INSTITUTIONAL TRAINING APPLICATIONS."  The RFA label available in
application form PHS 398 must be affixed to the bottom of the face page.
Failure to use this label could result in delayed processing of the
application such that it may not reach the review committee in time for
review.
 
An original and four copies of the application must be received by
November 20, 1991 at:
 
Grant Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892-4500**
 
Two additional copies must be sent to:
 
H. George Hausch, Ph.D.
Chief, Scientific Review Branch
Extramural Program
National Institute of Dental Research
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 519
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7658
 
Inquiries concerning this RFA and letters of intent should be directed
to:
 
Thomas M. Valega, Ph.D.
Special Assistant for Manpower Development and Training
Extramural Program
National Institute of Dental Research
Westwood Building, Room 510
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6324
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Theresa Ringler
Grants Management Officer
National Institute of Dental Research
Westwood Building, Room 518
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7437
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.122.  National Research Service Awards are made under
authorization of the Public Health Service Act as amended (42 USC 288).
Title 42 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 66, is applicable to
this program.