Subject: RFA HD-9l-ll
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 91 12:56 EST

Hi Paul,
   Please post this to the NIH Listserver as:
      RFAHD-91-11.910329
                        Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$FT BEGIN HD-91-11 **************************************************** P1O1
 
REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS
 
RFA:  HD-91-11
 
NATIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE AWARD INSTITUTIONAL TRAINING GRANTS IN
MEDICAL REHABILITATION RESEARCH
 
P.T. 44; K.W. 0720005, 0745070, 0785180
 
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
 
Application Receipt Date:  June 17, 1991
 
AUTHORITY AND PURPOSE
 
Public Law 101-613, Subpart 7 of part C of title IV of the Public Health
Service Act, as amended in Sec. 452 (a), provides the authority for the
National Institutes of Health to support medical rehabilitation research
and training.  By virtue of this authority, the National Center for
Medical Rehabilitation Research of the National Institute of Child
Health and Human Development is implementing an institutional National
Research Service Award (NRSA) pre- and postdoctoral research training
program in medical rehabilitation research.
 
APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Applications will be accepted from domestic, nonprofit public and
private schools of medicine, osteopathy, and accredited medical
rehabilitation facilities with departments of physical medicine or the
equivalent thereof, with this training program based in that department.
Other entities interested in participating in this training initiative
(e.g., graduate schools with departments of rehabilitation psychology,
biomedical engineering, rehabilitation nursing, physical therapy, and
occupational therapy) must apply in association with an eligible
institution as described above.
 
The applicant institution must have, or be able to develop, the staff
and facilities required for the proposed program.  The training program
director at the institution will be responsible for the selection and
appointment of trainees to receive NRSA support and for the overall
direction of the program.
 
TRAINEE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
 
Training positions may be requested for predoctoral and/or postdoctoral
trainees.  Predoctoral trainees must be enrolled in a program leading to
a doctoral degree specifically related to rehabilitation research in the
following areas:  psychology, biomedical engineering, biomechanical
engineering, orthotics, prosthetics, nursing, social work, physical
therapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, information
sciences, computer sciences, demography, epidemiology, health services
research, and recreational therapy.  Funds may also be requested for
short-term training of students in schools of medicine and osteopathy,
providing an "off-quarter" or summer opportunity for involvement in
research so that they might consider medical rehabilitation research as
a career option.  It is the intent of this program that those students
selected will have at least two short-term training appointments during
their predoctoral training.
 
Postdoctoral trainees must hold M.D. or Ph.D. degrees in the applicable
disciplines.
 
Trainees must be citizens or non-citizen nationals of the United States
or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residency.  Individuals on
temporary student visas are not eligible.
 
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE PROGRAM
 
Medical rehabilitation research is defined as the study of impairments,
disabilities, and handicaps resulting from illnesses, injuries, or
developmental processes.  It focuses on health-related improvement in
human functioning - physical, cognitive, behavioral, and social.
Rehabilitation medicine research explicitly includes the application of
new knowledge to the development of medical, behavioral, psychological,
social, and technological interventions designed to optimize functioning
after impairment, disability, or handicap.  By this definition, the
field encompasses research in a broad range of disciplines in the
biological, social, behavioral, psychological, and allied health
sciences.
 
Due to the diverse nature of the content of medical rehabilitation
research and the scientific expertise of the individuals carrying out
that research, it is anticipated that the proposed training will reflect
a broad interdisciplinary approach to research preparation.  Providing
didactic experience and education is also encouraged.  The presence of
clinical activity and opportunity for interaction with patients involved
in rehabilitation is expected in every program.
 
PAYBACK PROVISION
 
Before trainees can be appointed to a training grant, they must sign an
agreement to fulfill the NRSA payback requirements.  Recipients must
agree to engage in biomedical or health-related behavioral research
and/or teaching for a period equal to the period of NRSA support in
excess of 12 months.
 
STIPENDS AND OTHER TRAINING COSTS
 
The stipend levels are as follows:
 
Predoctoral (all levels):  $8,800 per annum.
 
Postdoctoral:  The stipend for the first year of support is determined
by the number of years of relevant postdoctoral experience at time of
appointment.  Relevant experience may include research (including
industrial), teaching, internship, residency, and other time spent in
full-time studies in a health-related field beyond that of the
qualifying doctoral degree.  The stipend for each additional year of
NRSA support is the next level on the stipend scale.  Current
postdoctoral stipends are as follows:
 
            Years of relevant experience        Stipend
                         0                      $18,600
                         1                       19,700
                         2                       25,600
                         3                       26,900
                         4                       28,200
                         5                       29,500
                         6                       30,800
                         7 or more               32,300
 
The current stipend level for short-term trainees is $733 per month and
up to $125 per month for each participating student may be requested to
defray other costs of training.
 
NRSA stipends may be supplemented by non-Federal funds.  Trainee travel,
including attendance at scientific meetings, that the institution
determines to be necessary to the individual's training, is an allowable
trainee cost.  Institutional costs of up to $1,500 per year per
predoctoral trainee and up to $2,500 per year per postdoctoral trainee
may be requested to defray the costs of other training-related expenses,
such as staff salaries, consultant costs, equipment, research supplies,
and staff travel.  Also, an indirect cost allowance based on 8 percent
of total allowable direct costs, or actual indirect costs, whichever is
less, may be requested.
 
Institutional NRSA grants may be made for competitive segments of up to
5 years and are renewable.  No trainee may receive more than 5 years of
aggregate NRSA support at the predoctoral level and 3 years of aggregate
support at the postdoctoral level.
 
OTHER REQUIREMENTS
 
1.  Applications must include a plan of instruction on scientific
integrity to be an integral part of the training curriculum.  Applicants
are advised to consult with program staff on this matter.
 
2.  The application must also contain a description of the recruitment
strategies for under-represented minorities that are either in existence
or planned under the training program.
 
REVIEW PROCESS
 
Applications will be received by the NIH Division of Research Grants.
The original and four copies of the application are due in the Division
of Research Grants by June 17, 1991.  A Special Review Committee will be
convened by NICHD to perform the technical review.  Applications will be
reviewed by NIH staff for responsiveness to the RFA.  Non-responsive
applications will be returned to the applicant.  Because a site visit
will not be a prerequisite for consideration by the Committee, each
application must be thorough and complete enough to stand on its own.
The second-level review will be made by the National Advisory Council in
September 1991, for funding starting in September 1991.  The Special
Review Committee will use the criteria specified in the NICHD
publication "Guide for Reviewer's Comments" in evaluating the
applications.  This document may be obtained by contacting the NICHD
staff contact person.
 
TIME TABLE
 
Application Receipt Date                                  June 17, 1991
Initial Review                                             August 1991
Review by National Advisory Council                     September 1991
Anticipated Award Date                                  September 1991
 
FUNDING
 
This is a one-time request with plans to make five or six awards in
fiscal year 1991.  The direct cost request for the first year may not
exceed $125,000.  The initial period of support requested may be five
years.  Funding beyond that time period will be subject to competitive
renewal.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applications must be submitted on grant application form PHS 398 (rev.
10/88) which contains special instructions for institutional NRSAs.
Forms are usually available at local educational institution.  If not,
send a request accompanied by a self-addressed mailing label to:
 
Office of Grants Inquiries
Division of Research Grants
Westwood Building, Room 449
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7441
 
To identify the application as being submitted in response to this RFA,
on line 2 of the application face page type in the title and number of
this RFA.
 
The RFA label available in the 10/88 revision of the application form
PHS 398 must be affixed to the bottom of the face page.  Failure to use
this label could result in delayed processing of the application such
that it may not reach the review committee in time.
 
The original and four copies of the application are due in the Division
of Research Grants by June 17, 1991.  Late and incomplete applications
will not be accepted and will be returned to the applicant.
Applications must be sent to:
 
Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Two copies of the application also must be sent to:
 
Director, Scientific Review Program
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 520
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
STAFF CONTACT
 
For further information, potential applicants may call or write to:
 
David B. Gray, Ph.D.
Health Scientist Administrator
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza North, Room 631
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1383
 
For fiscal and administrative matters, contact:
 
Mr. Don C. Clark
Grants Management Officer
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 501
6130 Executive Boulevard
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5001
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.865, Research for Mothers and Children.  Awards will be made
under the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Section 301 (42
USC241), and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal
Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not
subject to review by a Health Systems Agency.
 
$$FT END ***************************************************************