Subject: NSF Program Guideline - Teacher Preparation
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 91 11:01 EST

Hi Paul,
   Please post to the NIH Listserver as:
       Teacher.911108
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
Title       : NSF91124-NSF COLLABORATIVES FOR EXCELLENCE IN TEACHER
              PREPARATION
Type        : Program Guideline
NSF Contact : EHR
Date        : November 2, 1991

               NSF COLLABORATIVES
               FOR EXCELLENCE IN
               TEACHER PREPARATION

 
Program Solicitation and Guidelines
 
               SUBMISSION DATES
               LETTER OF INTENT:  MARCH 1, 1992
               FORMAL PROPOSALS:  MAY 15, 1992
 
                   NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
 
The National Science Foundation provides awards for education and
research in the sciences and engineering.  The Foundation welcomes
proposals from all qualified educators, scientists, mathematicians,
and engineers, and strongly encourages women, minorities, and
persons with disabilities to compete fully in the programs
described in this document.
 
In accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and NSF
policies, no person on grounds of race, color, age, sex, national
origin or disability shall be excluded from participation in,
denied benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any
program or activity receiving financial assistance from the
National Science Foundation.  (See also "Facilitation Awards for
Scientists and Engineers with Disabilities," NSF No. 91-54.)
 
The grantee is wholly responsible for the conduct of supported
research and education activities, and preparation of the results
for publication.  The Foundation, therefore, does not assume
responsibility for such findings or their interpretation.
 
NSF has TDD (Telephonic Device for the Deaf) capability which
enables individuals with hearing impairments to communicate with
the Division of Personnel Management for information relating to
NSF programs, employment, or general information.  The telephone
number is (202) 357-7492.
 
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance Number 47.066; Teacher
Preparation and Enhancement.

 
 
NSF COLLABORATIVES FOR EXCELLENCE IN TEACHER PREPARATION
Program Solicitation and Guidelines
 
                          INTRODUCTION
 
     The National Science Foundation is soliciting proposals for
Collaboratives for Excellence in Teacher Preparation.  These
Collaboratives will be leaders in promoting reform in the teaching
and learning of mathematics and science and will be catalysts for
systemic change in the preparation of mathematics and science
educators throughout the country.  Collaboratives must ensure that
mathematicians and scientists become actively involved with
schools, precollege education, and teacher preparation, thereby
supporting an academic culture which respects and rewards
activities related to teaching.

                            RATIONALE
 
     Precollege mathematics and science education in this country
is facing new demands and challenges.  All students must acquire
the knowledge required to be scientifically literate and to succeed
in an increasingly technological society.  Both the content and
delivery of K-12 mathematics and science must undergo substantial
reform, and a new generation of teachers with increased knowledge
and skills will be required to carry out this reform.  In order to
produce this new generation of teachers, major changes must take
place in the way teachers are prepared.  The demands and challenges
faced are beyond the capabilities and resources of any single
discipline, department, college, or institution.  They require a
comprehensive and coordinated approach involving significant inter-
 and intra-institutional collaboration.  To this end the NSF
Teacher Preparation Collaboratives initiative seeks to support
coalitions of educational institutions and agencies to introduce
fresh approaches and comprehensive changes in teacher preparation.
 
                           OBJECTIVES
 
     The principal objective of the Teacher Preparation
Collaboratives initiative is to support coalitions of institutions
of higher education and other educational agencies in a multi-year
effort to:
 
     *     improve dramatically the quality of teacher preparation
programs in mathematics and science by focusing on both scholarly
academic content taught in an exemplary manner  and discipline-
specific professional experiences.
 
     *     increase substantially the number of well-prepared
teachers, supervisors, and college mathematics and science
educators entering the profession, especially members of
underrepresented groups.
 
     *     design, implement, evaluate, and disseminate new
structures, innovative model programs, and fresh approaches for
preparing teachers of mathematics and science which will impact
teacher preparation throughout the country.
 
     *     expand the research knowledge base about teacher
preparation in mathematics and science.
 
     *     create significant intellectual exchange and substantive
resource linkages among institutions preparing large numbers of
teachers, research universities, other colleges and universities,
and school systems.

                CHARACTERISTICS OF COLLABORATIVES
 
     Collaboratives will develop new alliances, organizational
structures, and incentives which will bring about large-scale
improvement in the preparation of mathematics and science teachers.
A Collaborative may take a variety of forms but it is expected that
it will be a consortium of partners, including a minimum of one
institution responsible for preparing large numbers of teachers of
science and mathematics, at least one research university with a
graduate program in mathematics education and/or science education,
and schools and/or school districts.   Other partners may include
liberal arts colleges and community colleges.  In addition, it is
expected that Collaboratives will cooperate with other major NSF
projects such as Statewide Systemic Initiatives and Career Access
Programs, with State Mathematics and Science Coalitions, and with
State Boards of Higher Education and State Departments of Education
to improve standards for the preparation and certification of
teachers of mathematics and science.
 
     A Collaborative may address all of K-12 teacher preparation
in  mathematics and science or may concentrate on a subset defined
by grade levels or discipline.  It is expected that the proposed
Collaboratives will vary in size and exhibit diverse forms of
organization, participation, and operation depending on the focus
and objectives to be accomplished.

              ESSENTIAL ACTIVITIES AND COMPONENTS
 
     While each Collaborative may be unique in some respects, all
should exhibit the following key features:
 
     *        a governance structure which ensures the requisite
collaboration between science and mathematics departments and
colleges of education; a university culture which respects, values,
and encourages the participation of mathematics and science faculty
in the Collaborative; and university merit and promotion guidelines
which reward such participation.
 
     *     an exemplary teacher preparation program, solidly based
in both content and pedagogy, producing large numbers of teachers.
Collaborative programs should reflect scholarship and consideration
of recent research on teaching and learning.  Effective teaching
strategies must be modeled in the delivery of content courses.
Professional education courses should cultivate students' ability
to understand and teach specific science and mathematics content.
 
     *     the incorporation of new ideas and directions in the
teaching of mathematics and science, such as the integration of
mathematics and science content, the integration of content and
pedagogy, applications of advanced technologies, and new methods
of assessment.
 
     *     graduate programs and research and development
activities in mathematics and science education that will
contribute to the research base in teaching and learning and will
develop future leaders in science and mathematics education.
 
     *     the participation of school personnel--teachers,
supervisors, and administrators-- as full partners.
 
     *     activities which support and complement teacher
preparation, such as professional development programs for faculty
involved in preparing teachers;  enhancement programs for in-
service teachers, especially for those teachers involved with
preservice students; and programs to support the induction of new
teachers into the profession.
 
     *     strategies, including university-supported financial
incentives, for recruiting high quality prospective
mathematics/science teachers and educators, particularly from
underrepresented groups.
 
     *       an awareness of multicultural issues in the teaching
of mathematics and science and a concern for participation of
underrepresented groups in all Collaborative activities.
 
     *     an effective evaluation plan which clearly states goals,
objectives, and the indicators to measure progress, effectiveness,
and success.
 
     *     significant cost-sharing from all partners and evidence
that programs initiated by the Collaborative  will become
institutionalized.
 
     *     dissemination and networking activities, including
conferences, publications, and programs for visiting faculty and
postdoctoral associates.
 
                    ACADEMIC REWARD STRUCTURE
 
     Collaboratives must be positive forces to build bridges
between the mathematics, science, and professional education
communities, among researchers and teachers at all levels, and
among the institutions in which participants are based.  These
bridges must create an environment in which individuals may
flourish professionally.  Collaborative institutions should
encourage participation of professionals with dual roles, one in
the Collaborative and the other in an academic department or a
school or educational agency.  Expectations of the collaborative
and of the other unit should be clearly defined and agreed to by
all parties.  For each collaborative institution, organizational
structures, reporting lines, evaluation of performance, and source
and method of rewards must be defined and described.  Institutions
involved in Collaboratives must have merit, promotion, and tenure
guidelines and decision-making processes that provide recognition
and rewards for involvement in collaborative activities.

ELIGIBILITY
 
     Under this solicitation, proposers should be a consortium of
institutions of higher education and could include research and
comprehensive universities, liberal arts colleges, community
colleges, and schools or school districts.  At least one of the
institutions should offer an advanced degree in mathematics
education and/or science education and a large number of teachers
should be prepared by the collective institutions.  One institution
should be designated as the fiscal agent, all partnership
arrangements should be clearly delineated, and a management plan
should be included within the proposal.

             PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
 
     Consortia of institutions intending to submit a Teacher
Preparation Collaborative proposal must submit a Letter of Intent
by March 1, 1992 which will be critiqued for eligibility.  The
letter should outline the essential features of the project, the
institutions and agencies in partnership and their respective
roles, the key personnel and an estimate of project duration and
cost.  It should not exceed four double-spaced typed pages, and
should be sent to:

     Miriam Leiva, Program Director
     Collaboratives for Excellence Solicitation
     Teacher Preparation Program, Room 635
     Division of Teacher Preparation and Enhancement
     National Science Foundation
     Washington, D. C.  20550
 
This  letter of intent is needed for the organization of the review
process and will not affect the review of a formal proposal.
 
     Information about preparation and submission of proposals is
included in the NSF Publications:  Program Announcement and Guide:
Teacher Preparation and Enhancement (NSF Pub. No. 91-105)  and
Grants for  Research in Education in Science and Engineering
(GRESE), NSF Pub. No. 90-77 (8/90).  Single copies of these
publications are available at no cost from the NSF Forms and
Publications Unit, phone (202)357-7861, or via e-mail
(Bitnet:pubs@nsf or Internet:[email-masked]).
 
     Fifteen (15) copies of each proposal, including one copy
bearing original signatures should be mailed to:
 
     Proposal Processing Unit, Room 223.
     Attention:  EHR/TPE (NSF 91-124)
     National Science Foundation
     1800 G St. NW
     Washington, DC  20550
 
Only one copy of NSF Form 1225, Information about Principal
Investigator/Project Director, should be sent, attached to the
original signed proposal.  In addition to the fifteen copies mailed
to the Proposal Processing Unit, one copy should be sent to the
attention of Miriam A. Leiva, Program Director of Teacher
Preparation, Room 635.
 
     Proposals submitted in response to this solicitation must be
postmarked no later than May 15, 1992 to be considered for an
award.  Review and processing of proposals require approximately
six months.  Proposals will be reviewed in accordance with
established NSF procedures and the four general criteria described
in GRESE.

FUNDING AND DURATION OF PROJECTS
 
     The Teacher Preparation Program expects to fund several
Collaboratives for Excellence in the amount of $1,000,000 to
$2,000,000 per year per Collaborative over the five years of the
Collaborative's duration.  Support may be requested for all items
covered in the Program Announcement and Guide: Teacher Preparation
and Enhancement.  In addition, support will be available for the
following:  visiting faculty and post-doctoral associates;
enhancement activities for teachers, college/university faculty,
and graduate students; and research experiences for undergraduate
and graduate students.  The Foundation expects to reissue this
solicitation two additional times.

                         PROPOSAL REVIEW
 
Proposals will be reviewed in accordance with established
Foundation procedures and the four general criteria described in
GRESE, as well as the elaboration of those criteria in the Program
Announcement and Guide for Teacher Preparation and Enhancement.
(See pages 35-37, NSF Pub. No. 91-105.)  In addition, it is
anticipated that site visits will be included in the review
process.

 DESCRIPTION OF PRESENT PROGRAMS AND PRIOR NSF SUPPORT

     Awards made under this solicitation are designated
to supplement, not supplant, each institution's current efforts.
Therefore, the proposers are requested to provide information about
the programs already established at Collaborative institutions.
In addition to describing results from prior NSF support (see
GRESE, and Program Announcement and Guide: Teacher Preparation and
Enhancement), the following background information about the
partners within the consortium should be provided:  a description
of all graduate and undergraduate mathematics and science education
programs; the number of teachers produced for each of the past five
years in mathematics and science by certification levels;  the
number, areas of expertise, and level of support for graduate
students, postdoctoral associates, and visiting scholars for each
of the past five years; a description of funded programs in teacher
preparation, teacher enhancement, materials and curriculum
development, and research in teaching and learning; and a
description of any other special features or projects associated
with mathematics and science education programs at institutions
within the consortium.

OTHER TEACHER PREPARATION PROJECTS
 
      Proposers with teacher preparation programs that do not fit
the description of Collaboratives for Excellence in Teacher
Preparation or proposers working on programs which include issues
addressed in this solicitation are encouraged to apply to other NSF
programs suggested below.
 
Teacher Preparation, Program Announcement and Guide:  Teacher
Preparation and Enhancement (NSF Pub. No. 91-105), submission dates
February 1 and August 1.
 
Undergraduate Science, Engineering, and Mathematics Education,
Program Announcement and Guidelines:  Undergraduate Course and
Curriculum Development (NSF Pub. No. 91-50).
 
Program Announcement and Guidelines:  Career Access Opportunities
in Science and Technology for Women, Minorities, and Persons with
Disabilities (NSF Pub. No. 90-126).
 
Program Announcement:  Research Experiences for Undergraduates (NSF
Pub. No. 90-79).
 
Program Announcement and Guidelines:  Alliances for Minority
Participation (NSF Pub. No. 90-44).
 
Copies of most program announcements are available electronically
using the Science and Technology Information System (STIS).  The
full text can be searched online, and copied from the system.
Instructions for use of the system are in NSF 91-10 "STIS Flyer."
The printed copy is available from the Forms and Publications Unit.
An electronic copy may be requested by sending a message to
"stis@nsf" (Bitnet) or "[email-masked]" (Internet).
 
Ordering by Electronic Mail
 
If you are a user of electronic mail and have access to either
BITNET or Internet, you may prefer to order publications
electronically.  BITNET users should address requests to pubs@nsf.
Internet users should send requests to [email-masked].  In your
request, include the NSF publication number and title, number of
copies, your name, and a complete mailing address.  Publications
will be mailed within 2 days of receipt of request.
 
PRIVACY ACT AND PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENTS
 
The information requested on the application materials is solicited
under the authority of the National Science Foundation Act of 1950,
as amended.  It will be used and disclosed in connection with the
selection of qualified proposals.  See NSF 50 System of Records,
"Principal Investigator/Proposal File and Associated Records," 55
Federal Register 12073 (March 30, 1990).  Submission of the
requested information is voluntary.  Failure to provide full and
complete information, however, may reduce the possibility of your
receiving an award.
 
Public reporting burden for this collection of information is
estimated to average 120 hours per response, including the time for
reviewing instructions, searching existing data sources, gathering
and maintaining the data needed and completing and reviewing the
collection of information.  Send comments regarding this burden
estimate or any other aspect of this collection of information,
including suggestions for reducing this burden, to:
 
Herman G. Fleming
Reports Clearance Officer
Division of Personnel and Management
National Science Foundation
Washington, DC  20550
 
and to:
 
Office of Management and Budget
Paperwork Reduction Project (3145-0058)
Washington, DC  20503

O.M.B: 3145-0058
P.T.:  12
K.W.:  0502036

 
..stis file is nsf91124
..expires November 1992
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).