Subject: (Copy) NSF Program Guideline
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 10:05 EST

Please post to the NIH Listserver as:
    Yscholars.920330
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF929--YOUNG SCHOLARS PROGRAM
Type        : Program Guideline
NSF Contact : EHR
Date        : March 4, 1992
IN          : 9137

 
 
OMB NO. 3145-0058
Keyword Codes:  P.T.: 44
                K.W.: AA
                0600000,1000000
                1010000

 
 
YOUNG SCHOLARS PROGRAM
 
PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT - FY 1993

 
DIRECTORATE FOR EDUCATION AND HUMAN RESOURCES

 
POSTMARK DEADLINE: MAY 15, 1992

 

 

 
 
                   NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION

 

 

 
 
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WILL BE BOXED ON THE INSIDE COVER PAGE:
 
****************************************
                            INQUIRIES
 
Questions not addressed in this publication may be directed to the
NSF staff by writing to:
 
Young Scholars Program
Directorate for Education and Human Resources
National Science Foundation
Room 1202
Washington, D.C. 20550
(202) 357-7538
****************************************
 
****************************************
Formal proposals should be prepared in accordance with the
guidelines contained in the Grants for Research & Education in
Science and Engineering [GRESE], pp. 1-8 and the instructions
contained in this Program Announcement. Single copies of the GRESE
(NSF 90-77, rev. 8/90) may be ordered from the:
 
          Forms and Publication Unit
          Room 232
          National Science Foundation
          Washington, DC 20550.
****************************************
 
***************************************
In accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and NSF
policies, no person on grounds of race, color, age, sex, national
origin, or disability shall be excluded from participation in,
denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any
program or activity receiving financial assistance from the
National Science Foundation. (See "Facilitation Awards for
Scientists and Engineers with Disabilities," NSF No. 91-54.)
****************************************
 
****************************************
NSF has TDD (Telephonic Device for the Deaf) capability which
enables individuals with hearing impairment to communicate with the
Division of Personnel and Management for information relating to
NSF programs, employment or general information. This number is
(202) 357-7492.
**************************************
 
***************************************
The Foundation welcomes proposals on behalf of all qualified
scientists and engineers, and strongly encourages women,
minorities, and persons with disabilities to compete fully in the
program described in this document.
***************************************

***************************************
Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers with Disabilities
These awards provide funding for special assistance or equipment
to enable persons with disabilities (investigators and other staff,
including student research assistants) to work on an NSF project.
See the program announcement, or contact the program coordinator
in the Directorate for Education and Human Resources.
***************************************
 
***************************************
Proposals also may be submitted electronically. For information
contact the Electronic Proposal Submission Program Director, Office
of Information Systems (OIS) by telephone at 202/357-9767 or via
electronic mail to nsfprops@nsf (Bitnet) or
[email-masked](internet).
***************************************
 
***************************************
Privacy Act and Public Burden Statements
 
The information requested on the application materials is solicited
under the authority of the National Science Foundation Act of 1950,
as amended. It will be used and disclosed with the selection of
qualified proposals. See NSF-50 System of Records,
"Principal Investigator/Proposal File and Associated Records, "56
Federal Register 54907 (October 23, 1991). Submission of the
requested information is voluntary. Failure to provide full and
complete information, however, may reduce the possibility of your
receiving an award.
 
Public reporting burden for this collection of information is
estimated to average 120 hours per response, including the time for
reviewing instructions, searching existing data sources, gathering
and maintaining the data needed and completing and reviewing the
collection of information. Send comments regarding this burden
estimate or any other aspect of this collection of information,
including suggestions for reducing this burden, to:
 
     Herman G. Fleming
     Reports Clearance Office
     Division of Personnel and Management
     National Science Foundation
     Washington, DC 20550
 
and to:
 
     Office of Management and Budget
     Paperwork Reduction Project (3145-0058)
     Washington, DC 20503
***************************************
 
***************************************
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
Number 47.072 - Young Scholars Program
***************************************
 
***************************************
Ordering by Electronic Mail
 
If you are a user of electronic mail and have access to either
BITNET of Internet, you may order publications electronically.
BITNET users should address requests to pubs@nsf. Internet users
should send requests to [email-masked]. In your request, include the
NSF publication number and title, number of copies, your name, and
a complete mailing address. Publications will be mailed within 2
days of receipt of request.
***************************************

                   NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
 
                     Young Scholars Projects
  for High Ability and High Potential Secondary School Students
 
               GUIDELINES FOR PROPOSAL SUBMISSION

I. GENERAL PROGRAM DESCRIPTION

                         A. Introduction
 
 One of the first decisions for young men and women is the choice
of a career. For many of them the commitment to a career in
science, mathematics, or engineering begins to develop during their
secondary school years. In order to assist students in reaching an
informed decision about a potential career in science, the National
Science Foundation initiated in Fiscal Year 1988 the NSF Young
Scholars Program, which offers two-year continuing awards, with a
second year of support contingent on NSF review of project
activities and the availability of funds. In its first four years
of operation, the Young Scholars Program supported more than 272
projects which provided enrichment experiences in science,
mathematics, and engineering for more than 17,000 high ability or
high potential secondary school students during the summers of
1988-1991.
 
 The underrepresentation of women, minorities and persons with
disabilities at the advanced levels of science, mathematics, and
engineering deprives the Nation of much potential talent.
Consequently the Foundation strongly encourages the full
participation of members from these groups as proposers, staff, and
participants.

                         B. Goals/Scope
 
 The goals of the Young Scholars Program are to:
 
o    increase participant knowledge of and exposure to science,
     mathematics, and/or engineering as careers in order
     to facilitate their making realistic decisions based on the
     full range of career options available;
 
o    stimulate participant interest in science disciplines as
     possible career choices;
 
o    increase student awareness of the academic preparation
     necessary for such careers;
 
o   acquaint students with the environment and resources of
     universities, colleges, and research organizations;
 
o    contribute to students' confidence in their ability to
make career decisions.
 
 Experiences with the scientific enterprise should develop student
awareness of the work of scientists through a variety of activities
including:
 
o    intellectually challenging activities which are not
     traditionally a part of the school curriculum;
 
o    activities that broaden understanding of the subject matter
     through first-hand experience in the research process;
 
o    activities that include working side-by-side with researchers
     and personally interacting with them;
 
o    career guidance activities conducted by scientists and
     educational counseling personnel;
 
o    activities that include discussion of the philosophy and
     ethics of the science in general and the discipline focus of
     the project in particular.

                         C. Eligibility
 
 There are three categories of eligibility for the Young Scholars
program: submitting organization, activities, and discipline focus.
Proposals must meet the requirements in all three categories as
outlined below to be eligible for consideration for funding.
 
1. Eligible Organizations
 
 Proposals may be submitted by colleges or universities, their
associations or consortiums, scientific or professional societies
whose members are primarily university faculty or researchers, and
industries or other organizations which are engaged in significant
advanced research efforts and have experience in interacting with
pre-college students. Academic institutions are encouraged to
combine efforts with industries with appropriate research
facilities.
 
 Secondary schools and school districts and other organizations
with programs focused on secondary education are not eligible to
apply as submitting organizations.  Of course, any organization is
welcome to collaborate in a project proposal developed and
submitted by an eligible institution.
 
2. Eligible Activities
 
 Required and eligible activities are discussed under Project
Design. Young Scholars project activities are not intended to
duplicate or replace the secondary school curriculum or offer
tutorial or remedial services. Thus the project should not provide
course work primarily designed to improve performance in regular
school courses. Nor should the goal of activities be to prepare
students for standardized tests for college admissions or advanced
placement courses, or to duplicate regular college courses.
Further, secondary school or college credit for the successful
completion of project activities is neither required nor
encouraged. Exceptions may be made when the institution or schools
involved require that credit be given. However, grant funds cannot
be used to pay credit or tuition fees.
 
3. Eligible Fields
 
 Grants for Research and Education in Science and Engineering
[GRESE] (NSF 90-77, rev. 8/90, p.1) specifies the fields of science
and engineering which are eligible for support. Consistent with
these guidelines, the Young Scholars Program will not support
activities focused on clinical or health science disciplines.
 
 Any questions regarding a proposed project's eligibility under
these categories should be referred to the program staff. Proposers
may be asked to submit additional information regarding
organizational or project characteristics. In some cases it may be
necessary for NSF staff to review a formal proposal before a final
and fair determination of eligibility can be made.

                        D. Project Design
 
 Except where otherwise indicated, the Foundation intends to allow
project directors maximum flexibility in designing their projects
to address specific discipline areas and participant age groups.
The Young Scholars Program actively seeks innovative approaches to
cost-effective enrichment activities for young students. These
include off-campus sites where scientific inquiry is especially
intense, unusual designs for instruction and demonstration, and
creative techniques for academic-year follow-up.
 
 Particular attention should be paid to the following areas in the
proposal:
 
1. Activities
 
 We believe that students learn science best by practicing science;
that is, by exercising their natural curiosity and participating
in the process of scientific discovery. Projects may consist of any
combination of activities involving instruction, problem solving,
research, and exposure to the research environment and research
methods that are appropriate for the targeted age group and the
discipline focus. However, proposers should strive for balance
between classroom, laboratory, and field experiences. Activities
should be strongly participatory and intellectually challenging and
should promote positive interaction among students and project
staff.
 
 It also should be noted that while some assignments or tasks will
be individualized, a major characteristic of Young Scholars
projects is the inclusion of group activities (instructional, field
work, and informal activities) which foster mutual peer support and
feedback. The goal is to facilitate peer support for participant
interest in science and to encourage networking among participants
for future support and information exchange.
 
Required Activities - The following components are expected to be
included in all proposed projects and noted in a daily Schedule of
Activities. It is expected that there will be much variety in the
ways that the components are combined in different projects.
 
(A) Disciplinary Focused Activities
 
 The scientific and/or mathematical concepts which will serve as
the focus of instruction and research activities should be clearly
outlined in the proposal. Additionally, the proposer must clearly
describe how class, laboratory, and field activities will be
integrated into the project's discipline focus.
 
(B) Activities Focused on Research Methodology
 
 The specific methods and techniques of scientific research differ
by field. Projects should include a general discussion of research
methodology, with specific attention to the techniques and methods
utilized in the disciplines which serve as the focus of the
project.
 
 Hands-on activities should be included as a means of exploring
scientific concepts and allowing participants to actively engage
in the process of scientific discovery. Mathematics projects should
be designed to include inquiry-oriented instruction and should
allow students to learn mathematical concepts through self-
discovery. Because of their limited exposure to mathematics and
science, group experimentation may be more appropriate for younger
students (e.g. 8th-9th graders). Individual research projects are
required for older students who have a more extensive background
in mathematics and science.
 
(C) Career Exploration Activities
 
Since a major objective of this program is to heighten student
awareness of science, mathematics and engineering as possible
careers, each project must include career exploration activities
which offer information and guidance regarding the opportunities
of science as a profession, particularly in the discipline area of
the project. These activities also should include attention to
precollege science and mathematics teaching as a career choice.
Specific attention should be given to the secondary school and
college academic requirements for a degree in the selected
discipline. The participation of female scientists, minority
scientists and scientists with disabilities in this activity is
especially encouraged.
 
(D) Philosophy and Ethics of Science Activities
 
The development of a mature and participating citizen, scientist
or not, requires an appreciation of the role of science in society.
Therefore, all projects must include some activity that focuses on
the philosophy and ethics of science in general and of the
discipline focus in particular. Current events which illustrate
ethical issues within the project's discipline focus should be
considered for discussion. Project staff also are encouraged to use
issues relevant to their research as discussion topics.
 
(E) Follow-up Activities
 
Summer programs are required to include discipline-based follow-
up activities during the academic year to sustain the intensity of
the experience. Follow-up activities should reinforce and expand
the knowledge and skills learned during the summer. Strongly
participatory activities, including continued research activities,
should be included whenever possible. In addition, these activities
should help students utilize newly acquired skills. To this end,
the follow-up academic-year component need not be limited to summer
participants but also may involve their classmates and teachers.
A summer follow-up component may be proposed for academic-year
programs. Student presentations of project activities in at least
one class at their home school or another appropriate forum is a
required activity during the school year.
 
2. Setting
 
(A) Learning Environment
 
 The project should create a learning environment which challenges
the students' intellectual abilities and encourages the development
of the requisite skills for the use of these abilities. The
environment also should foster close interaction among the par-
ticipants, and between the participants and science, mathematics,
and engineering practitioners, including the project director and
senior staff. Activities should be structured to prevent isolation
and promote group identity and support, and facilitate student
involvement. The opportunities for interaction should be both
formal and informal.
 
(B) Project Type/Length
 
 Residential or commuter projects during the summer are recommended
as the principal mechanism for creating an enrichment experience.
The summer components should include a minimum of three weeks of
activity. Projects offering an after school/weekend academic-year
program as the principal mechanism are also eligible for funding.
Follow-up activities are not required for academic-year projects.
 
(C) Site/Resources and Equipment
 
 Since a major objective of this program is to acquaint students
with the environment and resources of universities, colleges, and
research organizations, projects should be located at facilities
where higher education or advanced research takes place.
 
3. Participants
 
(A) Middle School/Senior High Focus
 
 Proposers are expected to design projects which target subsets of
students entering grades 8-12, who are US citizens or permanent
residents. The selection of a specific age group or grade level
should be justified in the proposal. Projects including students
from more than two grade-levels should be designed to accommodate
the diversity in the science/mathematics background of students in
all targeted grade levels.
 
 Participants should be students of high ability or high potential,
with interest in science, mathematics, or engineering. The
Foundation assumes that students defined as high ability have
demonstrated this ability on some objective criteria, and the
proposer must indicate these criteria, (i.e. grades, honors, awards
in science competitions, teacher recommendations, etc.) Students
of high potential are those suspected of high ability, and the
proposer must define the criteria to be utilized in identifying
these participants, (i.e. interviews, teacher recommendations,
extracurricular activities, etc.)
 
(B) Project Size/Participant Tenure
 
The overall program philosophy is to reach as many students as
possible. The number of project participants will depend on the
proposed activities and staff but should allow for substantial one-
on-one or small group interaction among students and between
students and senior staff. Proposals for projects with fewer than
15 students should outline outreach efforts that will involve a
larger audience in some phase of project activities. In addition
the budget should be formulated to offset the generally higher
costs of smaller projects.
 
 Each year of project activity is intended as a separate unit, with
new participants selected each year. However, this does not
preclude consideration of a proposal in which selected students
return for the second year in a different capacity or for an
expanded program of activities. Such a design must be justified in
the proposal.
 
 Proposers are encouraged to accept students who have not had an
opportunity to participate in a YS project previously, and should
not accept students who have participated in more than one YS
project in previous years.
 
(C) Participant Recruitment and Selection
 
 Proposals must specify how participants will be identified,
recruited and selected. Admission decisions regarding participants
should be made on the basis of materials submitted by applicants.
This information might include (a) recommendations from current or
recent science or mathematics teachers or counselors, (b) a short
essay by the student on why he or she would like to participate or
some other appropriate topic and (c) selected background and
biographical information. Selection procedures should specify the
academic course requirements necessary for participation. Other
selection mechanisms such as examinations and interviews also can
be considered. Recruitment procedures must include a mechanism that
allows individual students to learn about the project and initiate
the application process.
 
 The Foundation expects broad-based participation in these projects
regarding the number of schools, geographic areas covered, and
participant characteristics. That is, participants should be
selected from several secondary schools, and excessive
representation from any one school is strongly discouraged.
Regarding geographic distribution, projects should be designed,
where possible, to attract students on a regional or national
basis, rather than only locally. Also projects must be open to all
eligible students in the targeted geographic area, except for those
projects designed solely for students with disabilities and those
proposals responding to the Early Alert Initiative (EAI). In the
selection of participants, the number of minorities and females
should reflect their representation in the designated geographic
area.
 
(D) Participant Costs
 
Lack of personal or family financial resources should not be a
barrier to participation by any eligible student. Therefore
proposers may request NSF funding for all or a portion of student
expenses, including room and board for residential projects,
travel, and a small stipend for students whose participation will
preclude needed employment income. Stipends for participants must
be justified in terms of their use in attracting the target
population. Further, the age of participants in terms of earning
potential should be taken into consideration in requesting
stipends. Stipends should not exceed $100/week per student for high
school students. Stipends for younger students should be less.
Stipend amounts can be supplemented by other funding sources.
 
 Proposers can require payment of a fee from participants whom they
determine are able to assume responsibility for such an expense.
(Participant fees cannot be considered cost-sharing.) The narrative
should detail per student costs for room and board if applicable,
travel, and any stipends proposed, as well as the percentage of any
or all of these costs NSF is being asked to assume. Proposers who
plan to charge fees that will vary among NSF-supported participants
should outline how applicant financial need will be determined.
Ability to pay may be assessed on an individual or group basis.
Proposals must include a plan for providing financial assistance
to eligible students.
 
4. Staff
 
 Senior staff, defined as those who will have primary
responsibility for the selection of participants, the supervision
of intellectual activity and the demonstration of research
techniques and field instruction, should be academic faculty or
active research scientists, mathematicians or engineers in
industry. Staffing levels should allow for substantive one-on-one
interaction between participants and senior staff.
 
 The Project Director (PD), who must be a member of the senior
staff, will serve as the intellectual leader of the project and as
the administrative contact with NSF. The proposal narrative must
include a brief statement of the role and responsibilities of the
PD, the PD's time commitment to the project and the PD's
qualifications to serve in this capacity.
 
  Skill in teaching and the ability to interact with young students
should be a prerequisite for the selection of all staff. The
participation of female scientists, minority scientists and
scientists with disabilities is strongly encouraged.
 
5. Project Assessment
 
 Proposers must specify project goals and objectives, planned
outcomes, and plans to measure the success of the project. The
latter should include feedback from participants and staff. This
is in addition to participation in Young Scholars Program data
collection activities, described below.
 
 Established projects should include a discussion of previous
project outcomes. Previously funded Young Scholars project
directors submitting proposals should summarize previous
accomplishments and outline proposed revisions, if any, in project
design and scope along with the rationale for these changes.
 
 The Foundation has established a plan to facilitate early and
regular assessment of program impact. This includes data collection
instruments to be completed by project applicants, participants,
and Project Directors. As a part of these activities, NSF will
provide copies of these instruments and guidance on their
administration at the time of the award. Proposers should include
money in the budget for copying and mailing of these instruments.
The cooperation of project directors will be an important factor
in assuring the success of this effort. Second-year funding will
not be approved without receipt of the completed survey
instruments.

E. Established Programs
 
 The Foundation is aware that a number of activities similar to
Young Scholars Projects have been offered at various campuses in
recent years, and have reached funding stability. The Foundation
strongly encourages the continuation of such programs, and will not
normally award support for such projects where NSF support would
serve mainly to replace established funding. The Foundation,
however, does invite proposals from institutions that have
organized such activities, where NSF support would serve to
strengthen such projects by funding new key components such as
research participation, or expand such projects by broadening
participation from previously underrepresented groups.
 
 Established projects for which supplementary support is proposed
must in their entirety be eligible for Young Scholar support, and
thus must include all the required Young Scholar components, and
must be described fully in the proposal. Proposals from these
projects also must include a statement describing the use of NSF
funding and ways that these funds will enhance the project.
 
                            F. Budget
 
 Proposers may request from the Foundation appropriate direct,
indirect, and participant costs. Separate budgets must be prepared
for year one and year two of project activities, along with a 2-
year cumulative budget. Normally awards will be funded initially
for the first year only. Support for the second year will be
contingent on the availability of funds and acceptable progress in
implementing first year project activities, including the Project
Director's participation in program assessment activities.
 
 NSF has specific provisions regarding allowable costs for salaries
and wages, indirect costs, fringe benefits, equipment purchases,
participant support costs, tuition remission, consultant services
and subcontracts. In general, the Young Scholars Program is subject
to these provisions as stated in the GRESE and proposers must
follow these provisions in preparing the budget for a Young
Scholars project.
 
 General NSF provisions of special relevance to this program as
well as additional program-specific regulations are summarized
below:
 
o    The total cost of a residential project to NSF should not
     exceed approximately $550 per student per week. Commuter
     projects should cost considerably less. Higher costs must be
     fully justified in the proposal.
 
o    Previously funded Young Scholars project directors must
     justify any increase in project costs over previous costs.
 
o    The Foundation will consider requests for extra compensation
     for faculty (overload). Such requests should be clearly
     outlined in the budget justification section and will be
     reviewed on an individual basis with attention to the nature
     of the project as well as institutional and current NSF
     policies.
 
o    Summer salary for faculty members on academic-year
     appointments will not be funded for more than 2/9 of their
     regular academic-year salary. This total includes summer
     salary received from all NSF-funded grants.
 
o    Support will not be provided for general purpose office
     equipment such as typewriters or furniture, nor for permanent
     scientific equipment. Permanent equipment is defined as any
     item with a unit cost of $500 or more and an expected service
     life of two or more years. Where such equipment is deemed
necessary, proposers should consider borrowing or renting.  Rental
costs are allowable under this program. However, when  rental costs
exceed the purchase price of an item, purchasing  the item will be
considered.
 
o    Indirect costs will not be paid on participant costs.
 
o    Funds should be included for the project director (one person
     only) to attend the annual two-day project directors meeting
     in the spring in Washington D.C. Proposers should use their
     institutional guidelines regarding travel allowances.
 
o    Support may not be requested for social activities or project
     director attendance at any conference except the project
directors meeting.
 
o  Support may not be requested for teacher education components
     except under the YSP Mathematics and Science Teaching
     Perspectives (MSTP) component.
 
o    Proposers are advised to determine whether insurance coverage
     normally available to students and faculty on campus applies
     to participants in these projects. The budget may request
funds to purchase health and accident insurance for    participants
not covered by the usual student health plans.    Insurance costs
should be specifically justified, and will be     reviewed on a
case-by-case basis.
 
o    The Young Scholars Program requires a reasonable degree of
     cost-sharing in all proposals. Cost-sharing should be clearly
     detailed by category in the budget justification section and
     will be taken into consideration in decisions on the extent
of   NSF support. Fees assessed of participants are not considered
     cost-sharing.

II. PROPOSAL PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
 
A. Reference Documents
 
 A formal proposal should be prepared following the guidelines
contained in the NSF document Grants for Research and Education in
Science and Engineering [GRESE] NSF 90-77, rev. 8/90 and the
instructions contained in this solicitation. Additional information
may be obtained from the NSF Grants Policy Manual, Revised (July,
1989), NSF 88-47.
 
B. Proposal Submission Forms
 
 There are several NSF and Young Scholars Program forms which are
necessary as part of the submission of a proposal. These include
a Young Scholars Program Data Sheet (Appendix B of this
solicitation) and a Checklist for Proposal Preparation (Appendix
A of this solicitation). All NSF forms are contained in the NSF
GRESE. Forms may be photocopied. Please check that all forms are
filled out completely and signed, where necessary.

C. Narrative Content and Format
 
 The narrative is limited to 30 double-spaced pages (15 single-
spaced pages). There is no limit on the length of the appendices.
However, proposers should be judicious in this regard as NSF leaves
to individual reviewer discretion what part of the appendices, if
any, should be read. The narrative should discuss each of the
following areas (in the order given) in sufficient detail to allow
the proposal to be evaluated in accordance with the goals of this
program:
 
    o Project Goals and Objectives
     o Disciplinary Focus
     o Project Activities (must include a detailed Schedule of
      Activities)
 
      -Disciplinary Focused Activities (class/lab/field
 
      -Activities Focused on Research Methodology
 
      -Career Exploration Activities
 
      -Ethics of Science Activities
 
      -Follow-up Activities
 
     o Setting
 
     o Selected Population
 
     o Participant Recruitment & Selection
 
     o Project Staff
 
     o Project Assessment
 
 (Note that the budget and budget explanation are a separate
section of the proposal.)
 
 Proposals for the Young Scholars Program should be postmarked by
May 15, 1992.
 
 Ten (10) complete copies of the formal proposal; one copy of the
required NSF form 1225 and three (3) additional sets of forms each
stapled as a unit, containing one Cover Sheet, one Summary Budget,
and one Young Scholars Program Data Sheet (Appendix B) should be
sent to the address listed below:
 
                    Proposal Processing Unit, Room 223
                    NSF/Publication/Announcement/Solicitation/No.
                    NSF 92-9
                    National Science Foundation
                    1800 G Street, N.W.
                    Washington, DC 20550

III. PROPOSAL REVIEW
 
 General criteria used in the evaluation of proposals are described
in the NSF GRESE referenced above. They are performance competence,
intrinsic merit, utility or relevance, and effect on the
infrastructure of science and engineering.
 
 Within the context of the Young Scholars Program, the primary
consideration when reviewing a proposed project is whether it is
scientifically and pedagogically sound (i.e. does it involve
participants in activities that provide substantive scientific
content while exciting them about "doing" science.) Specific review
and selection criteria will include the appropriateness and quality
of the following project elements:

     (1) scientific activities
 
          (a) research, laboratory, field, and classroom activities
          focused on the science discipline chosen;
 
          (b) research projects;
 
          (c) formal and informal interaction between students and
          scientists and mathematicians;
 
          (d) ethics of science activities;
 
          (e) career awareness activities; and
 
          (f) follow-up activities;
 
     (2) setting (commuter or residential; summer or academic year;
     length of summer component; resources and equipment);
 
     (3) participant recruitment and selection procedures and
     demographics;
 
     (4) project staff qualifications and mix;
 
     (5) project assessment plan;
 
     (6) for established projects, the proposed use of NSF funds
to   enhance the operation and the success of current activities;
 
     (7) for previously funded YS project directors, the quality
of   prior project activities; and
 
     (8) budget including total costs, proposed cost sharing, and
     participant costs.
 
 Proposals will be reviewed for scientific and educational merit
by scientists, mathematicians, engineers, and science educators
including precollege teachers.

IV. AWARDS
 
 The announcement of Young Scholars Program awards should be made
in December 1992. Notification of awards is made in writing by the
Foundation. As soon as possible thereafter, the Foundation will
publish and distribute a project directory as a reference guide for
potential applicants.
 
 Participants admitted and successfully completing these projects
will be identified in NSF records as National Science Foundation
Young Scholars. Project Directors may use this terminology in the
title of their proposed project and in any presentations made in
closing ceremonies and any reference to the participants
thereafter.
 
V. GRANT ADMINISTRATION
 
 NSF grants are administered in accord with the terms and
conditions of NSF GC-1 (10-91), Grant General Conditions, or FDP
II, Federal Demonstration Project General Terms and Conditions
(10/90), copies of which may be requested from the NSF Forms and
Publication Unit.

VI. REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
 
 Awards will normally provide for one year of support, with a
second year of support contingent upon acceptable progress in
implementing program objectives, including assistance in program
assessment activities, and the availability of funding. An interim
report is required 30 days after the end of the summer component.
Second-year funding will not be approved without receipt of the
interim report and completed survey instruments. A progress report
is required on the first-year anniversary date of the award. A
final report (Form 98a) is required upon completion of the two-
year award period.
 
                      APPENDIX A
          CHECKLIST FOR PROPOSAL PREPARATION
 
 Your proposal should be assembled in the following
order. The Young Scholars Data Sheet is included in this
announcement (Appendix B) and may be photocopied.
 
[ ] 1.    One loose copy of NSF Form 1225, "Information
          about Principal Investigators/Project
Directors" - (NSF Form 90-77). This form          should
not be duplicated in the copies of the       proposal.
 
[ ] 2.    Cover Sheet (NSF Form 1207 from GRESE)
          Include all required signatures (principal
          investigator, co-principal investigator, and
          authorized organizational representative).
Also check certification of federal debt
status.
 
[ ] 3.  PI/PD telephone number and electronic mail
          address on cover page.
 
[ } 4.    Project Abstract (not to exceed 125 words).
See Appendix B, part II.
 
[ ] 5.    Data Sheet - Appendix B
          This will include a summary of proposed work
          for the Project Directory.
 
[ ] 6.    Table of Contents with page numbers.
 
[ ] 7.    All pages in the proposal numbered
          consecutively, at the bottom.
 
[ ] 8.    Summary Budget Forms (NSF Form 1030) for each
          of two years and a two-year cumulative budget
          sheet.
 
[ ] 9.    Budget Explanations for each of two years.
          Explanations should be keyed to the line items
          on Form 1030 and should include cost-sharing
          arrangements.
 
[ ] 10.   Summary of Current and Pending Support (NSF
          Form 1239)
 
[ ] 11.   Project Narrative - Not to exceed 15 single-
          spaced (or 30 double-spaced pages) and must
          include a Daily Schedule of Activities.
 
[ ] 12.   Report of accomplishments under prior NSF
          support (within 5 years).
 
[ ] 13.   Biographical Sketches of Key Personnel. See
          GRESE, page 4.
 
[ ] 14.   Appendices (as necessary)
          These might include materials detailing
          proposed and/or prior program activities.
(Appendices should not include any required
          materials.)
 
Checklist for Proposal Submission
 
[ ]  Ten (10) copies of the proposal, including the
     original signed copy, and three (3) additional
     sets of forms, each stapled into a unit
containing a copy of the Cover Sheet, one Summary
Budget and the      YS Data Sheet; to be submitted
to Proposal    Processing Unit of NSF.

 
NOTE: All required NSF forms are contained in the GRESE
NSF 90-70, rev. 8/90. Several of these forms, including
the cover sheet, have been revised and new forms have
been added. Forms may be photocopied.
 
Copies of the GRESE and additional copies of this
program announcement can be obtained electronically from
STIS. (See insert.)

          APPENDIX B
NSF - Young Scholars Program
DATA SHEET
 
PART I - PROJECT INFORMATION
(This form, designed for direct computer input, will be
used for review panel assignment. Please check all
entries for completeness and accuracy.)
 
Institution_________________________ PI/PD
_________________________________
 
NSF Request (1st year): $_ _ _,_ _ _    NSF Request (2nd
year): $_ _ _,_ _ _
 
DISCIPLINE FOCUS                        PARTICIPANT
GRADE LEVEL
(See Instructions in Part II)           B-Entering 7th-
9th Grade  ____%
11-Astronomy    ____%              C-Entering 10th-12th
Grade ____%
12-Chemistry        ____%
Other___________________  ____%
13-Physics          ____%                          Total
____%
21-Mathematics      ____%
31-Computer Sci     ____%               NON-NSF
CONTRIBUTION (1st yr only)
49-Earth Sci    ____%         Grantee Institution $_ _
_,_ _ _
59-Engineering/Tech ____%               Corporate $_ _
_,_ _ _
69-Life Sci     ____%              Other_________   $_
_ _,_ _ _
89-Social Sci/Psych ____%
19-Gen Physical Sci ____%                    H/I
Total     $_ _ _,_ _ _
99-Other _________ ____%
  Total      100 %            PARTICIPANT FEES? Yes___
No___
 
PARTICIPANT DESCRIPTION Estimate the percentage of
participants in each of the categories listed below:
 
F2- Minorities    ____%            K1-PROJECT STATUS
F3- Disabled     ____%             ____(N) New Project
Activity
F4- Econ Disadv   ____%            ____(E) Established
Activity
G1- Women      ____%               ____(R) Previously
Funded YS project
G3- Rural      ____%
 
NO. OF PARTICIPANTS                L1 MAJOR PROJECT SITE
(Check one)
Entering 7th Grade   _ _ _         ____ 1=Same as
Submitting Org
Entering 8th Grade   _ _ _         ____ 2=Other
_________________
Entering 9th Grade   _ _ _
(Location)
Entering 10th Grade  _ _ _
Entering 11th Grade  _ _ _              L3-L4 NO. WEEKS
SUMMER
Entering 12th grade  _ _ _
COMPONENT________
K2-K4       TOTAL  _ _ _
 
L2 PROJECT TYPE (Check one)             RECRUITMENT AREA
(Check one)         ____1=summer residential
____Local
____2=summer commuter                   ____State-wide
____3=summer resid & commuter           ____Regional
____4=academic year only                ____National
____5=EAI
____6=MSTP & summer residential
____7=MSTP & summer commuter
____8=MSTP & summer resid & commuter
____9=MSTP & academic year only
____10=MSTP & EAI

APPENDIX B
NSF - Young Scholars Program
DATA SHEET - PAGE 2
 
PART II - INSTRUCTIONS
 
Instructions for completing Discipline Focus Section:
The section entitled Discipline Focus should indicate
only distinct discipline areas of the project. For
example, if mathematics is used only as a tool in
teaching chemistry, chemistry only should be listed as
a discipline focus.
 
PART III - PROJECT ABSTRACT
 
The Project Abstract should be a concise description of
the proposed project, not to exceed 125 words. It should
briefly describe proposed activities including follow-
up. Considerable care should be taken when writing the
abstract since it will be the reviewers' first
impression of the project's merits. The abstract should
follow the format shown below:

The ________________ will initiate a __________,
__________,
  (institution)           (no. weeks) (comm/resid)
Young Scholars project in ___________________for _____
students                     (discipline focus)  (no.)
entering grade(s) _________________.
 
Description of project
activities:_________________________________________

        PART IV- SUMMARY FOR PROJECT DIRECTORY
 
Enter the requested information in the space below. If
an award is made, the Summary will be published in a
Project Directory to be distributed to the general
public.
 
 1) Sponsoring institution and
address:________________________
 
______________________________________________________
_____
 2) Project
location:__________________________________________
 3) Discipline
focus:__________________________________________
 4) Recruitment
area:__________________________________________
 5)
Activities:___________________________________________
_____
 
______________________________________________________
_____
 
______________________________________________________
_____
 
______________________________________________________
_____
 
______________________________________________________
_____
 
______________________________________________________
_____
 6) Project
type:______________________________________________
 7) Enrollment (number of
participants):_______________________
 8) Grade/Acad.
prereqs:_______________________________________
 9) Project
dates:_____________________________________________
10) Application
deadline:______________________________________
11) Cost to
participant:_______________________________________
12) Contact
person:____________________________________________
                 (name/phone number/fax number/e-mail
address)

                 PART V- PROJECT COSTS
Divide the amount of your NSF request, excluding cost-
sharing (1st year only) as carefully as you can among
the following categories. Include indirect costs.
 
Pre-activity costs:             $____________
 
     E.g. recruitment, selection, curriculum
development,
     i.e. - all expenses incurred before the student
participation phase      begins.
 
Summer program costs (if applicable):    $____________
 
     The costs incurred during the operation of the
summer component. In     general these costs will be
proportional to the size and duration of     your summer
component.
 
Follow-up or academic-year costs:      $____________
 
Indirect Costs:                           $____________
 
Total 1st year request (NSF costs)      $____________

 

 
NSF FORM 1272 (1/92)

 
                   The Young Scholars Program
 
                     EARLY ALERT INITIATIVE
 
                             FY 1993

 

 

 

 
 
Please add the words "EARLY ALERT" after the TITLE of your proposal
on the cover sheet, if your submission responds to this initiative
rather than the regular Young Scholars competition.

                     EARLY ALERT INITIATIVE
 
I. INTRODUCTION
 
The Young Scholars Program established in FY 1990 an Early Alert
Initiative (EAI) component. While there is a continuing need for
scientists, mathematicians and engineers at all levels, there is
a decreasing number of students selecting careers in these
disciplines. In fact, there are indications that many students
eliminate careers in science, mathematics, and engineering as
viable choices prior to high school.
 
If we are to increase the supply of scientists, attention should
be given to students earlier than high school. Activities should
focus on providing those experiences and opportunities which
introduce students to the excitement and challenge of science
careers. Projects addressing these areas should include science
and mathematics course work beyond that offered in school;
expanded counseling regarding career opportunities in these
disciplines; interaction with role models in these fields;
activities which strengthen family and peer support for student
interest in these areas; and the elimination of social/cultural
and financial barriers. Without these experiences, many students
will continue to enter high school lacking interest in science,
and to leave high school lacking key prerequisites for a college
science major.
 
The EAI, which focuses on mathematics and physics, is a response
to this situation. Mathematics and physics are targeted because
of their "gatekeeper" roles; students who do not take physics and
advanced mathematics courses in high school are effectively
locked out of many college science majors. The goal of EAI is to
support projects which offer activities to develop or sustain the
interest of adolescent students in these two disciplines so that
they will take the prerequisite courses in mathematics and
physics when they are in high school.
 
II. SPECIAL FEATURES
 
Projects proposed under this initiative will differ from regular
Young Scholars projects in several ways:
 
A. Participants
 
1. Eligible Students
 
  Unlike the regular Young Scholars Program, EAI projects are
restricted to students entering grades 7, 8 and 9. An EAI project
may focus on one or more of these three grades. Unlike the
regular Young Scholars Program, EAI projects may be designed
exclusively for ethnic minorities and/or females. Other groups
such as persons with disabilities, the economically
disadvantaged, or rural residents also could be the focus of
recruitment efforts.

2. Participant Recruitment and Selection
 
  Consistent with the overall Young Scholars Program, the EAI is
focused on students of high ability or high potential. However,
considering the young age of the target pool, and the focus on
students who may have had limited exposure to mathematics and
science, such high ability or high potential in these areas may
not necessarily have been demonstrated in the classroom.
Therefore grades should not be the sole selection criteria. A
combination of alternative mechanisms should be utilized to
identify student ability or potential. Proposers should clearly
outline their strategies for selecting student participants on
these factors.
 
B. Discipline Focus
 
  Proposals must focus on mathematics or physics. In order to
allow students to explore their interests in more than one
discipline within the targeted fields, we encourage proposals
which include attention to both mathematics and physics and their
applications.
 
C. Project Format
 
  EAI projects will almost necessarily be local in focus and
involve students at an early stage of their interest in science
and mathematics. Therefore, unlike the regular Young Scholars
Program, EAI projects must be comprised of year-round activities.
Summer activities as well as substantive interactions between
project staff, local scientists, teachers, and students during
the school year are required. The goal is to provide a continuing
enrichment experience for these students. Proposers may request
support for two 12-month cycles for two separate groups of
students, or one 24-month cycle for a single group of students.
 
D. Activities
 
1. Instructional Activities
 
 The EAI is not intended for students who perform below grade
level in school courses. In light of the age of this target
group, it is recognized that the teaching of some basic science
and mathematics concepts may be necessary. Advanced course work
that is not a part of the normal school curriculum may be
proposed, where appropriate for the selected population.
Proposers must clearly outline the mathematics and/or physical
science concepts that will serve as the focus of instructional
and research activities.

2. Research Methodology
 
 EAI activities must enable students to experience the excitement
of "doing science" in the discipline(s) chosen. Therefore,
activities should be strongly participatory. Details about how
this will be accomplished must be provided. However, individual
research projects may be less appropriate for this category of
students.
 
3. Career Exploration
 
The EAI places a stronger emphasis than the regular Young
Scholars competition on career exploration. Thus, activities
should include interaction with scientists in a variety of
potential work settings. Discussions of higher education options
and costs, with particular attention to options for financial
assistance, are required. Participants should be informed about
and encouraged to take advanced mathematics and science courses
in high school. Integrated throughout planned activities should
be attention to cultural/social barriers to student entry into
science and mathematics careers.
 
4. Mentoring
 
 A variety of small group activities, which facilitate
interaction between scientists and students in both formal and
informal settings are required and should be an integral part of
summer and academic year activities. Mentors should be academic
or industrial scientists engaged in active research;
undergraduate and graduate students also may be involved in
mentoring activities, though not in primary roles. Where
appropriate, activities should include interaction with
scientists in the work place, if these differ from the major site
of project activities.
 
E. Costs
 
  There should be no charge for participation in these
activities, and minimum stipends for students may be requested to
cover the costs of transportation, meals, etc. Proposers also may
include the costs of materials and supplies for student use in
follow-up activities including science experiment kits,
calculators, science magazine subscriptions, etc.

III. PROPOSAL PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION
 
 Except as explained above, proposals submitted under EAI should
follow guidelines for the regular Young Scholars Program. An EAI
project also may include a MSTP component.

 
                   The Young Scholars Program
 
          MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE TEACHING PERSPECTIVES
 
                             FY 1993

        YSP MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE TEACHING PERSPECTIVES

I. INTRODUCTION
 
 The Young Scholars Program is initiating in FY 1993 a teacher
component called Mathematics and Science Teaching Perspectives
(MSTP). In the following description of the MSTP component, YSP
refers to regular YS and EAI projects; science includes the
fields of mathematics, science, and engineering that are
supported by NSF. The purpose of the MSTP component will be to
give teachers the unique opportunity to interact with scientists
who are working with students in scientifically rich
environments. The intent is not only to give teachers the
opportunity to practice science, but also to broaden the
teachers' perspectives about science and the teaching of science.
Because these teachers will reach thousands of students in their
careers, the impact of YSP on students will be greatly increased.
 
 The MSTP component will be both a part of, and separate from,
the YSP components. That is, teachers will be expected to
participate in many of the YSP activities, especially
laboratory/field activities and career exploration activities.
However, there also will be separate, more in depth, activities
for the teachers which will provide them with new and additional
education in both content and instructional strategies. Teachers
will be expected to conduct in-service activities in their local
schools.
 
 YSP projects with MSTP components will be funded jointly by the
Young Scholars Program and the Teacher Enhancement Program.
Proposals will be submitted to the Young Scholars Program.
Proposers should discuss both the YSP project and the MSTP
component in the same proposal. The opportunity for teachers to
receive graduate credit for their participation in the MSTP
component of a YSP project should be provided if possible. The
YSP project must meet the Young Scholars guidelines for a YSP
project and the MSTP component must be consistent with the
Teacher Enhancement guidelines for Leadership Institutes (p. 5,
NSF 91-105, Teacher Preparation and Enhancement).
II. SPECIAL FEATURES
 
                      A. Eligible Teachers
 
 Participants in MSTP should be teachers who meet the following
criteria: (1) are well-prepared in science; (2) are employed
full-time teaching a grade span of science that includes the
grade level which YSP participants will be entering; (3) have
taught science in their current school for the past three years
and expect to remain in that position for each of the next two
academic years; (4) have a written commitment from their school
administration that the teacher participant will implement the
culminating science teaching project described below. Since the
primary focus of YSP projects is the student participants, no
more than one teacher per five student participants may be
involved in a YSP project with an MSTP component.
 
B. Activities
 
 MSTP activities will give teachers the opportunity to work with
and to form useful linkages to the professional community of
scientists and science educators. Activities should be designed
to improve, broaden, and deepen the scientific, pedagogical, and
technological knowledge of teachers and to enhance their ability
to teach students effectively.
 
 Many of the day-to-day MSTP activities will be different from
the YSP activities; however, MSTP activities should be integrated
with the YSP activities. They should have the same discipline
focus and be targeted for the same grade level(s).
 
1. Science Discipline Activities
 
 Teachers should engage in study in the science field(s) that are
the discipline focus of the YSP. These activities should be more
in depth than those for the YSP participants.
 
2. Science Education Activities
 
 Teachers should be involved in pedagogical activities designed
to help them improve their own classroom instruction. For
example, they might be involved in examining science teaching
standards, developing science materials, or practicing new
methods of science instruction. While teachers should not be the
principal teachers of the YSP participants, they could serve as
support staff in some of the YSP activities. The opportunity to
observe and work with YSP participants should be very beneficial
to the teachers when they discuss methods of instruction,
laboratory activity design, and ways to encourage students in
science. However, their participation/observation of YSP
activities should not interfere with opportunities for YSP
participants to interact with their peers or with project
staff/research scientists.
 
 While teachers should attend YSP sessions focused on career
awareness, they must be provided with more in depth information
related to career awareness. The career awareness activities
should provide teachers with up-to-date information about typical
course requirements, employment opportunities and demand, and
graduate school opportunities in various fields of science.
 
 A culminating project should be the design of instructional
activities in science aimed at secondary students. This project
should include design of appropriate in-service activities and
incorporate as many elements of the YSP project as possible.
 
3. Science Research Activities
 
 These activities should be of three kinds. First, teachers
should participate in some of the field/laboratory activities for
YSP participants in either a one-on-one or small group basis.
However, teachers should not be present in more than half of the
student sessions to ensure that they will not inhibit the
students' opportunities to explore concepts, equipment, and
activities.
 
 Second, teachers will be expected to design and conduct their
own science research projects. These projects should involve
teachers in field/laboratory/exploratory activities that will
give them hands-on practice with the research techniques and
methods currently utilized in the science field(s) which serve as
the discipline focus of the YSP project. For example, mathematics
projects might include uses of technology, applications to
science, mathematical modeling of experimental data, etc.
 
 Third, participants should examine literature related to
educational research and development activities. These activities
should be designed to encourage the application of research
findings to the improvement of classroom instruction in science.
 
C. Participant Support Costs
 
 In addition to normal instructional costs, proposers may request
funds for stipends (up to $60 per day), travel, and room and
board (if the YSP project is a residential program).
 
D. Length of MSTP Component
 
 The MSTP component must be at least four weeks in length for
each of the two years with the same teachers participating both
years. Since the minimum length of a YSP project is three weeks
and the average is five, the duration of the two components may
not coincide. When they do not, proposers are encouraged to find
creative ways to integrate and overlap the MSTP component with
the YSP component.
 
III. PREPARATION OF A YSP PROPOSAL WITH A MSTP COMPONENT
 
 The narrative of a YSP proposal with a MSTP component must
describe in detail the areas listed under "Narrative Content and
Format" in the guidelines for the regular Young Scholars Program.
In addition, the narrative must cover the following points
relative to the MSTP component:
 
 o Goals and objectives of the project; the scientific,
mathematical, and pedagogical focus of the project; a daily
schedule of activities, workshop plans, course outlines, etc. in
sufficient detail to communicate the scientific merit of the
content and the appropriateness of the project activities;
 
 o The evaluation plan used to determine the success of the
project in accomplishing the MSTP objectives; the program's
effects on teachers' knowledge and perceptions about science and
science teaching; and changes in instructional practice due to
MSTP. Ways in which what is learned through the project can be
shared with others;
 
 o For those staff members who are involved with the MSTP
component, a discussion of their experiences in working with
secondary teachers and their expertise in science education;

 o Identification of the intended audience for the MSTP project;
discussion of the commitment required of the participants and
their school districts; description of the recruitment and
selection process for participants; particular efforts to recruit
women, underrepresented minorities, and teachers with
disabilities.

..expires January 31, 1992
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).