Subject: Commonplace

From: Michael Gillespie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 1994 12:34:49 -0500

Machiavelli on "innovation"

Translation#1:

And one should bear in mind that there is nothing more difficult to
execute, nor more dubious of success, nor more dangerous to administer than
to introduce a new system of things; for he who introduces it has all those
who profit from the old system as his enemies, and he has only lukewarm
allies in all those who might profit from the new system.  This
lukewarmness partly stems from fear of their adversaries, who have the law
on their side, and partly from the skepticism of men who do not truly
believe in new things unless they have actually had personal experience of
them.

Translation#2

And it ought to be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to take
in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than
to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.  Because the
innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old
conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new.
This coolness arises partly from fear of the opponents, who have the laws
on their side, and partly from the incredulity of men, who do not readily
believe in new things until they have had a long experience of them.

Nicollo Machiavelli in "The Prince", Chapter 6. 1537.

---
 ~ SLMR 2.1c ~ Michael Gillespie                    [email-masked]