Subject: commonplace

From: "J.S." Dorward <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 94 9:58:16 BST

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance
                   By Robert M. Pirsig

Note :- words in capitals are in italics in the book.

[Phaedrus] "He was a knower of logic, the classical system-of-
the-system which describes the rules and procedures of
systematic thought by which analytic knowledge may be
structured and interrelated. He was so swift at this his
Stanford-Binet IQ, which is essentially a record of skill at
analytic manipulation, was recorded at 170, a figure that
occurs in only one person in fifty thousand."

                           . . .

[Phaedrus] "In proportion to his intelligence he was extremely
isolated. There's no record of his having had close friends.
He travelled alone. Always. Even in the presence of others he
was completely alone. People sometimes felt this and felt
rejected by it, and so did not like him, but their dislike was
not important to him.

                           . . .

     Perhaps his aloneness was the result of his intelligence.
Perhaps it was the cause. But the two were always together. An
uncanny solitary intelligence."

>From p90, transcribed by [email-masked].