Subject: Commonplace

From: Rob Laird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 14:41:48 BST

THE SCAPULA OR SHOULDER BLADE: THE SCAPULA IS A FLAT TRIANGULAR SHAPED BONE
WHICH LIES ON THE POSTERIOR WALL SUPERFICIAL TO THE RIBS AND SEPARATED FROM
THEM BY MUSCLE.

Shuttered like a fan no-one suspects your shoulder blades of wings. While you
lay on your belly I kneaded the hard edges of your flight. You are a fallen
angel but still as the angels are; body light as a dragonfly, great gold wings
cut across the sun.
	If I'm not careful you'll cut me. If I slip my hand too casually down
the sharp side of your scapula I will lift away a bleeding palm. I know the
stigmata of presumption. The wound that will not heal if I take you for
granted.
	Nail me to you. I will ride you like a nightmare. You are the winged
horse Pegasus who would not be saddled. Strain under me. I want to see your
muscle skein flex and stretch. Such innnocent triangles holding hidden
strength. Don't rear at me with unfolding power. I fear you in our bed when I
put out my hand to touch you and feel the twin razors turned towards me. You
sleep with your back towards me so that I will know the full extent of you. It
is sufficient.

Jeanette Winterson
>From "Written On The Body"  [p.103, Vintage 1993 paperback edition]
Passage is part of a desription of her lover's body as she fights against
cancer, and of the author's love of that body.

Submitted by: Rob Laird
	      email: [email-masked]