Subject: Finally got my Debian system setup...

From: llucius <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 17:04:46 -0500 (CDT)

(It took so long more from me putting it off than from any problems. B-))

I have a completely Debian system, no non-Debian files other than shell 
profiles and the like.

The hardest part of setting up the whole thing was making dpkg install 
packages onto a new root partition.  Even though dpkg allows you to 
specify the root partition, it doesn't really function quite right.  (I 
probably wasn't doing something right, though.)  So what I did was create 
the new root with just enough to boot from it and start installing 
packages.

I also found that syslogd dumps core if you don't have a domainname set, 
either with "domainname" or /etc/hosts.  (Bug report submitted.)

I do have one question though, should we be submitting a patch to the 
"base" package to include the m68k device nodes?  I went ahead and 
manually created them, which was really the only "modification" that I 
HAD to do due to Debian lacking something.

Anyway, I've attached a list just to show what I've installed for the 
heck of it.

Leland

BTW:  This also brought out some problems with a few of the packages that 
I uploaded to master.  I had some old libraries in /usr/lib and some of 
the packages picked these up during the build.  I've corrected a couple 
already, but if you find more PLEASE let me know (or re-up a new package 
B-)).  Thanks!

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  ae              962-8          Anthony's Editor -- a tiny full-screen edito
ii  at              2.9b-1         Delayed job execution and batch processing
ii  base            1.1.0-13       Debian Base System Miscellaneous Files
ii  bash            1.14.6-4       The GNU Bourne-Again SHell.
ii  bdflush         1.5-3          bdflush (update)
ii  binutils        2.6-2          The GNU binary-file utilities, GNU assembler
ii  bison           A2.6-12        A parser generator that is compatible with Y
ii  bsdmainutils    3.1-0          More utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite.
ii  bsdutils        3.0-2          Basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite.
ii  byacc           1.9-11         The Berkeley LALR parser generator
ii  cron            3.0pl1-33      management of regular background processing
ii  debianutils     1.2-3          Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian.
ii  diff            2.7-10         File comparison utilities
ii  dpkg            1.2.12elf      Package maintenance system for Debian Linux
ii  e2fsprogs       1.04-1         The EXT2 file system utilities.
ii  fileutils       3.12-4         The GNU file management utilities.
ii  findutils       4.1-11         GNU find, xargs and locate.
ii  flex            2.5.2-6        A fast lexical analyzer generator.
ii  gawk            3.0.0-2        GNU awk, a pattern scanning and processing l
ii  gcc             2.7.2-8        The GNU C compiler (ELF version).
ii  getty           1.0-5          agetty, an alternative Linux getty.
ii  gpm             1.06-1         A mouse event server for the Linux console
ii  grep            2.0-5          GNU grep, egrep and fgrep.
ii  groff           1.09-11        GNU RunOFF text-formatting system. 
ii  gzip            1.2.4-10       The GNU compression utility.
ii  hostname        1.9-1          A utility to set/show the hostname or DNS do
ii  info            3.7-1          Standalone GNU Info documentation browser
ii  joe             2.8-5          Joe's Own Editor - A Free ASCII-Text Screen 
ii  ldso            1.8.1-1        The Linux dynamic linker, library and utilit
ii  less            290-8          A file pager program, similar to more(1)
ii  libc5           5.2.18-9       The Linux C library version 5 (run-time libr
ii  libc5-dbg       5.2.18-9       The Linux C library version 5 (debug files).
ii  libc5-dev       5.2.18-9       The Linux C library version 5 (development f
ii  libdb1          1.85.2-8       the Berkeley database routines (runtime vers
ii  libdb1-dev      1.85.2-8       the Berkeley database routines (development 
ii  libgdbm1        1.7.3-11       GNU dbm database routines (runtime version).
ii  libgdbm1-dev    1.7.3-11       GNU dbm database routines (development files
ii  libident        0.17-2         libident - simple RFC1413 client library
ii  libreadline2    2.0-15         GNU readline and history libraries, runtime 
ii  libreadline2-de 2.0-15         GNU readline and history libraries. Developm
ii  login           1.0-5          sign on to the system
ii  lrzsz           0.12b-1        zmodem/ymodem/xmodem transfer package
ii  make            3.74-12        GNU Make.
ii  man             2.3.10-11      Display the on-line manual.
ii  manpages        1.11-5         Section 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9 manpages
ii  minicom         1.75-1         Clone of the MS-DOS "Telix" communications p
ii  modules         2.0.0-4        Linux module utilities.
ii  most            4.5.0-1        most - browse or page through text file(s)
ii  mount           2.5j-1         Tools for mounting and manipulating filesyst
ii  ncurses-base    1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: Minimum set of 
ii  ncurses-bin     1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: associated prog
ii  ncurses-term    1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: additional term
ii  ncurses3.0      1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: shared librarie
ii  ncurses3.0-dev  1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: Developer's lib
ii  ncurses3.0-pic  1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: Shared-library 
ii  netbase         2.04-1         Basic TCP/IP networking binaries
ii  passwd          1.0-5          Change password data.
ii  patch           2.1-9          Apply a diff file to an original
ii  procps          0.99-3         The /proc file system utilities.
ii  sed             2.05-6         The GNU sed stream editor.
ii  shellutils      1.12-5         The GNU shell programming utilities.
ii  slang-devel     0.99.23-1      S-Lang - a C programming library
ii  slang-lib       0.99.23-1      S-Lang - a C programming library - shared ob
ii  sysklogd        1.3-6          Kernel and system logging daemons.
ii  sysvinit        2.64-1         System-V like init.
ii  tar             1.11.8-5       GNU tar.
ii  texidoc         3.7-1          Texinfo manual - how to write a Texinfo file
ii  texinfo         3.7-1          The GNU Project's documentation formatting s
ii  textutils       1.18b-1        The GNU text file processsing utilities.
ii  time            1.6-5          The GNU time utility.
ii  timezone        7.48-3         Timezone utilities and data files.