Subject: Re: Finally got my Debian system setup...

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 18:05 PDT

Yes, please submit patches to create the 68k-specific devices in the base
package.

Also, please look over the basedisks.sh script in the boot-floppies package.
That will generate the minimal root needed to bootstrap a system, and will
pack it into a tar file. This will need some modification for the 68k,
mostly just changing the package list that it uses.

I'd also be interested in having you look over the rootdisk.sh script.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
       Clinton isn't perfect, but I like him a lot more than Dole.

Bruce Perens AB6YM          [email-masked]            http://www.hams.com/

---

From: llucius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 20:21:26 -0500 (CDT)

> mostly just changing the package list that it uses.
Well, you're right.  We'll definitely need to change the package list to 
remove or replace:

	lilo 		Different versions for Amiga and Atari and ...
	mbr		I don't think we need this at all, but don't quote me
	syslinux	An Amiga version could be written, not sure about rest
	util-linux	Still in the works, I believe

I believe that's the only packages that will cause problems, but what I 
intend to do is try to get basedisk to create me a tar file.  Then, I'll 
clean off one of my partitions and see what happens.

But, here's a question for you.  How are we going to handle different 
package requirements for different architectures? 

Will we have separate scripts for each architecture or have one script 
that can handle the differences.  Actually, I suppose separate package 
lists would be adequate for basedisk.sh, but I haven't looked at the 
other scripts yet.

> I'd also be interested in having you look over the rootdisk.sh script.
I'll do that one a little bit later.

Anyway, I'm still tinkering.  I'll have more info (and understanding) later.

Thanks,

Leland

__ Y_ a_ m_ b_ o_ | The leanest, meanest, fightinest sweet tater on Earth!
   oo o  oo o  o  | 
    o       o   o | [email-masked]
 o oo    o     o  | 
-- -- -- -- -- -- | http://www.millcomm.com/~llucius       (maybe one day)

---

From: "Frank Neumann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 14:57:14 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> mostly just changing the package list that it uses.

I started working on this yesterday. After a few modifications, basedisks.sh
almost runs through, but currently I have problems with the point
where /proc is mounted a second time in a chroot()ed environment. I just
get a segmentation fault here, I'll look into it. Patches will be
sent out soon. I hope the coming weekend will yield a lot of progress
(we're holding a Linux/m68k programmer's meeting here in Oldenburg).

> I'd also be interested in having you look over the rootdisk.sh script.

That will be the next step once the bases sytem (and probably already a
few other things) works ok.

Frank

PS: I really _did_ send off the util-linux patches to Guy (on Tuesday
instead of Sunday, sorry - had a disk read error). I did, however,
not send it to the bug reporting system because of its size (around
60 KBytes). I think  Guy should soon release a new util-linux which 
will then compile out of the box on m68k.